What shelf liquor and your favorite cocktails?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

What shelf liquor and your favorite cocktails?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I started getting more into cocktails and less into beer and wine recently. I'm curious:

What do you buy for liquor and do you notice a big difference between bottom, middle and top shelf?

Do you have a favorite cocktail recipe that you wish to share?
bloom2708

Re: What shelf liquor and your favorite cocktails?

Post by bloom2708 »

There is a difference. Mid-shelf seems good enough.

Tito's Vodka
La Croix Sparkling Water (Can) - Your favorite flavor (Tangerine is excellent)
1/2 Orange slice for a garnish
Ice

Makes a killer/simple drink. :beer

https://www.titosvodka.com/?utm_source= ... f38230fa80

https://www.lacroixwater.com/flavors/#f ... egory_58|1

Post by alter »

Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonics
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Life is too short to drink bad liquor. For bourbon, it's Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Four Roses Single Barrel, or Four Roses Small Batch. The "yellow label" Four Roses is gut rot. Stay away from that, even in cocktails.

I had some 23 year Pappy once. It was outstanding (and lived up to its larger than life reputation).
Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph »

My two go-to's (although reasonably priced)....

Hendricks Gin & tonic w/lime
Laphroaig Scotch - neat
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

It really depends on the liquor. For Vodka, there is no reason to go beyond a mid-range brand. For Scotch (single malt), I find the point of diminishing returns to be in the $100+ range.

I also think it depends on how alcohol-forward the cocktail is. In a Martini, there's not much else other than the liquor. In a big fruity or dessert-type drink, the quality of the fruit and juice is probably a lot more important than the alcohol.
MrSarcasm

Post by MrSarcasm »

For tequilas, always go 100% blue agave, the others are mixed with grain alcohol.

Simple, refreshing margarita:
2 parts tequila, 1 part water, 1 part fresh lime juice and add agave nectar to sweeten to your liking. Serve over ice.
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

+1 on the life is to short....

I'm a fan on the classic cocktails made with good ingredients. Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Martini, Negroni. No chocotinis etc.
A sample of my liquor cabinet: Bombay Gin for G&T, Bombay Sapphire Gin and Dolin Dry Vermouth for Martinis, Four Roses Small Batch and Cocchi Vermouth di Torino for Manhattans. My wife loves Sapphire and St Germain.

NO PLASTIC BOTTLES.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

OP asked about cocktails. I go middle of the road for cocktails. I have been doing Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Sazerac, and maybe vodka martinis lately. For rye I have been buying Bulleit even though I really should boycott them. Not so many choices where I live.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

Wild Turkey 101. Works for me.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Very popular in Provence as an aperitif:

Lillet (only the light gold kind, not the red)
Slice of orange
On ice
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
yeahman

Post by yeahman »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm It really depends on the liquor. For Vodka, there is no reason to go beyond a mid-range brand. For Scotch (single malt), I find the point of diminishing returns to be in the $100+ range.

I also think it depends on how alcohol-forward the cocktail is. In a Martini, there's not much else other than the liquor. In a big fruity or dessert-type drink, the quality of the fruit and juice is probably a lot more important than the alcohol.
This is exactly right.
bgf

Post by bgf »

Negroni
1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

you dont have to do it this way, but any other way is inferior.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

yeahman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm
alfaspider wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm It really depends on the liquor. For Vodka, there is no reason to go beyond a mid-range brand. For Scotch (single malt), I find the point of diminishing returns to be in the $100+ range.

This is exactly right.
Thirded, except my taste buds top out at about $50/bottle on the various whiskeys, and probably $30-$40 on most of the other basic liquors.

For cocktails, I love an Old Fashioned, but I'm too lazy to make them at home. Normally it's just bourbon on the rocks. Sometimes I'll throw in a cherry and a splash of juice (Trader Joe's has some good jarred dark cherries, much better than your standard maraschino). I like margaritas, too, but that's pretty basic.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Buffalo Trace neat. :beer
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
ls23h

Post by ls23h »

Makers a Mark bourbon Manhattan
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Dark 'N Stormy: Goslings Dark Rum + Goslings Ginger Beer + Lime
Gin 'N Tonic: Bombay Sapphire or Gordon's + Schweppes Tonic Water + Lime
Skinny "Witch": Mango/Lime/Grapefruit/Watermelon Waterloo Soda Water + Bacardi Silver + Lime
Martini: Hendrick's or Botanist Gin + Olive w/ Trader Joe's Stilton Cheese OR Cucumber Slices
Grapefruit/Orange Juice + Costco Kirkland American Vodka($16/handle)
Margarita: Simply Limeade + Kirkland Tequila + Ice blended
Piña Colada: Coco Lopez Coconut Cream + Pineapple Juice (or fresh) + Bacardi Silver + Ice blended
Spanish/Irish Coffee: Decaf or Regular Coffee + half and half + Tia Maria or Bailey's Irish Creme
Apple Jack: Hot Apple Cider + Jack Daniel's or similar bourbon/whiskey

Sipping: Papa Pilar's Rum, Remy Martin VSOP Cognac, Crowne Royale Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel
Last edited by Alexa9 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harmoniousmonk

Post by harmoniousmonk »

Vodka= midshelf Titos
Splurge on really good bourbon
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

Get your favorite gin (it's good with everything I've tried) and make a Saturn: http://imbibemagazine.com/saturn-cocktail/
(best tiki cocktail I've ever made)
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Quirkz wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

This is exactly right.
Thirded, except my taste buds top out at about $50/bottle on the various whiskeys, and probably $30-$40 on most of the other basic liquors.

For cocktails, I love an Old Fashioned, but I'm too lazy to make them at home. Normally it's just bourbon on the rocks. Sometimes I'll throw in a cherry and a splash of juice (Trader Joe's has some good jarred dark cherries, much better than your standard maraschino). I like margaritas, too, but that's pretty basic.
These cherries are really good too - https://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourmet- ... 144&sr=8-5 Much different than the typical $3-5 jar at a grocery store.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Always fresh squeezed citrus, never bottled. ... Although I cheat by freezing cubes of (just squeezed) lime juice for Cuba Libras and gin & tonics instead of making wedges each time.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I like to keep a stocked bar to be able to fulfill most reasonable requests. Here’s the current inventory:

1792 Bourbon
Larceny Bourbon
Angel’s Envy Bourbon
Maker’s 46 Bourbon
Redemption Rye
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire
Bushmill Irish Whiskey
Tanqueray Gin
El Toro Silver Tequila
Jose Cuervo Tradicional Tequila
Grey Goose Vodka
Malibu Rum
Bacardi Silver Rum
Jagermeister
Hot Damn Cinnamon Schnapps
Peach Schnapps
Triple Sec

I need to add a Scotch Whisky to replace a recent casualty.

Bourbon on the Rocks, Manhattans, Gin / Vodka and Tonic, Tequila and 7up / Sprite are some of the preferred cocktails.
flowerpower

Post by flowerpower »

Mixology at home is one of life's simple pleasures.

Mezcal has become a favorite liquor. Mix with chopped jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Sometimes if I am feeling extra crafty, make a simple syrup of jalapeno and sugar.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

When this thread was half as long and I was struggling to log in, I wanted to say check out Badger & Blade, a forum. Great resource which was originally just about shaving, I guess, but they know their libations.

Brokers is a nice gin and not expensive.

Favorite cocktail: Aviation
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm OP asked about cocktails. I go middle of the road for cocktails. I have been doing Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Sazerac, and maybe vodka martinis lately. For rye I have been buying Bulleit even though I really should boycott them. Not so many choices where I live.
If you get a chance try Rittenhouse Rye, it's my go to for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned and Sazeracs. Reasonably priced and great in cocktails.

You want a nice spin on a Manhattan, try a Black Manhattan. 2 oz Rye, 1 oz Averna Amaro, couple of dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

bgf wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm Negroni
1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

I usually bump the Gin up to 1.5 parts, also been known to use Plymouth Gin, Navy Strength. :mrgreen:
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm
Quirkz wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

This is exactly right.

These cherries are really good too - https://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourmet- ... 144&sr=8-5 Much different than the typical $3-5 jar at a grocery store.
Those are the only cherries I'll use... I'm a cherry snob.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

In the summer, Negroni; in the winter, switch rye (or bourbon) for the gin, and drink a Boulevardier. Late afternoon aperitif, switch club soda for the gin, and drink an Americano.
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

Bottom shelf for clear liquors...but brand matter. Middle bottom to middle for everything else.

Martini. Sometimes I use Sauvignon Blanc or nothing as a substitute for Vermouth.

EDIT: Also, I quit drinking a while ago because I finally decided I agreed that it is bad for health and money.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

flowerpower wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:19 pm Mixology at home is one of life's simple pleasures.

Mezcal has become a favorite liquor. Mix with chopped jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Sometimes if I am feeling extra crafty, make a simple syrup of jalapeno and sugar.
If you like mezcal, try a Paloma. Very refreshing!
BG
BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 pm
1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

In the summer, Negroni; in the winter, switch rye (or bourbon) for the gin, and drink a Boulevardier. Late afternoon aperitif, switch club soda for the gin, and drink an Americano.
+1 on bourbon Boulevardier. It's a great winter cocktail. And so easy to make. Remember to stir, don't shake.
BG
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

delete
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I am confident that if I made a cocktail with Tito's and made the exact same cocktail a few more times with bargain vodkas, very few of you would be able to identify the Tito's more often than chance dictates.

Well vodka. Always.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Bfwolf wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:40 am I am confident that if I made a cocktail with Tito's and made the exact same cocktail a few more times with bargain vodkas, very few of you would be able to identify the Tito's more often than chance dictates.

Well vodka. Always.
I used to think this as well but we had 10 or so people over for a Super Bowl party a couple of years so I conducted a study (same cocktail, two glasses, random order for each person) and every person picked out the Tito’s. Some people said the difference was marginal, so there is that, and some preferred the well brand, but every single person at least identified the Tito’s.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Mostly a bourbon guy. Four Roses small batch and single barrel both excellent. Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark also good. On the budget side, Jim Beam Black (extra aged) is not bad and fine for a Manhattan.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

If a martini, Belvedere Vodka or if mixed (like a vodka tonic) I go with Absolute or whatever is in the well. IMO once mixed it's close to the same to me.
DW usually anything sparkling and rose.
bgf

Post by bgf »

Artful Dodger wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 pm
1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

interesting. never had an Americano, but it sounds delicious. we had a party not too long ago and someone brought over some hard seltzer cans id never seen before. i didn't like them much by themselves but mixed with campari and an orange slice they were amazing! same idea.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

I have always had a tough time navigating the internet regarding spirits and cocktails... both with sites (many recipe and review sites seems to be written with little/no rigor, just looking for clicks) and forums (where many posters seem to have different goals than my own).

After looking at a lot of different resources, I found the book Death & Co to be just the resource I was looking for. Lots of recommendations on which spirits are the best (and best value) in each category, including reasons why you might select one over another. Also a great resource on classic recipes. Their house recipes are a little less useful for me - I'm sure they're tasty, but they use some exotic ingredients.
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

MSUBobcat wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm OP asked about cocktails. I go middle of the road for cocktails. I have been doing Manhattan, Old Fashioned, Sazerac, and maybe vodka martinis lately. For rye I have been buying Bulleit even though I really should boycott them. Not so many choices where I live.
If you get a chance try Rittenhouse Rye, it's my go to for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned and Sazeracs. Reasonably priced and great in cocktails.

You want a nice spin on a Manhattan, try a Black Manhattan. 2 oz Rye, 1 oz Averna Amaro, couple of dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters.
+10. Great choice. Bottled in bond, cheap, pretty tasty

Bulleit Rye, High West Double Rye are also good budget to mid-shelf ryes. I don't really have anything against MGP , they put out a lot of pretty good distillate and as long as people aren't trying to pass it off as being distilled by their own small brand, it's A-ok in my book.

Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare are in my bourbon rotation

My favorite cocktail is a black walnut perfect Manhattan. 2 oz whiskey, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2 oz dry vermouth, 2-3 dashes of black walnut bitters

I'm also a fan of gin and tonics in the summer. Hendricks is my go-to gin

Wintertime I drink more scotch. Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, Oban 14, Lagavulin 8 and 16 are among my favorites but not everybody is a peat-lover.
21&lewis

Post by 21&lewis »

My favorite bourbon for the price/value is Four Roses Small Batch (better than Single Barrel to my taste buds). @$30/fifth I haven't found anything better. There are several (much) more expensive brands that I like, but this is my go to for anything bourbon. Great neat, with one ice cube, or in a cocktail.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:55 pm I started getting more into cocktails and less into beer and wine recently. I'm curious:

What do you buy for liquor and do you notice a big difference between bottom, middle and top shelf?
Not a big drinker so I tend to go for middle and top shelf bottles of scotch. One bottle usually lasts me a year or so. I also have gotten better glasses, iceball molds and other things to better enhance what little I drink.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

1 part Tanqueray
1 part Campari
1 part Cocchi Torino
orange peel garnish

Yum! :beer
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

vodka and diet ginger ale, usually raspberry ginger ale, and brands of vodka, svedka or a generic Ketel one I cant think of the name off hand.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm Life is too short to drink bad liquor. For bourbon, it's Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Four Roses Single Barrel, or Four Roses Small Batch. The "yellow label" Four Roses is gut rot. Stay away from that, even in cocktails.

I had some 23 year Pappy once. It was outstanding (and lived up to its larger than life reputation).
You, sir, have great taste. We could share a liquor cabinet, if we weren't 1500 miles apart!

I believe that with the popularity of bourbon in the last few years, the overall quality of some of the better bourbons has decreased. Hopefully, the demand will cool off and quality will return.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Jameson 18 year old
Jameson castmates IPA edition
Macallen 12 year old (on hand for guests not my favorite)
Tanqueray Gin
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Inexpensive red wine, Sprite, fruit and ice makes for a interesting tasting Sangria type drink.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀