Used Chevy Volt - Which year should I look at?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tavore

Used Chevy Volt - Which year should I look at?

Post by tavore »

I finally need another car, and I've been eyeing Chevy Volts for a long time. I don't want to lease, as my plan to is to keep it for a long time, and I'm not that bothered by technology changes. As long as I can handle the range anxiety, I'm good. Not that I drive a lot - I barely average a couple thousand a year. I want a reliable and safe car that's good for city driving, and can also handle the occasional long trips.

Used Chevy Volts with under 30K mileage seem to be relative bargains, considering that the car is generally reviewed well. Is there any significant difference between 2014/15/16 models in terms of features and reliability that I should consider? 2014 models are obviously a lot cheaper, but I want to get a good balance between price and features - safety and reliability being the primary. Comfort-wise, my only concern is how adjustable the drivers seats are, and that I don't have to crane my neck to see where I'm going. I wish they designed better cars for short-torsoed women :|

I'm excited for my car hunt! If you have any other options that I should look at, please suggest. :sharebeer
hookemhorns

Re: Used Chevy Volt - Which year should I look at?

Post by hookemhorns »

I bought a 2014 Volt last year and have been quite happy with it so far. The major model year difference came in mid-2015 when GM began producing "Gen 2" volts which had a larger and more efficient battery. I think the battery-only range expanded from 38 to 50 something miles. If you buy a 2015 you would have to do extra legwork to see what generation you're getting. At the time, there were almost no 2nd gen models available in the used market, so I was ok with getting a gen 1.
Topic Author
tavore

Post by tavore »

hookemhorns wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm I bought a 2014 Volt last year and have been quite happy with it so far. The major model year difference came in mid-2015 when GM began producing "Gen 2" volts which had a larger and more efficient battery. I think the battery-only range expanded from 38 to 50 something miles. If you buy a 2015 you would have to do extra legwork to see what generation you're getting. At the time, there were almost no 2nd gen models available in the used market, so I was ok with getting a gen 1.
Ah good to know. I saw somewhere there was difference in generations, I thought it was since 2016, not mid-2015. I'll keep an eye out for that. Anything in particular that you don't like with your Volt?
jminv

Post by jminv »

2016. This is when the 50+ miles plug in range was introduced. 38 before.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

So the Volt essentially has unlimited range because it runs on battery to start, and gas once the battery runs out?
But unlike a hybrid that has both gas & electric, this thing need to be plugged in to run on electric only?
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

As mentioned earlier, Gen 2 Volts started in 2015. The reason used Volts are relatively cheap is because the $7500 federal tax credit is baked into the price of a new Volt (assuming you can use the full tax credit). In November 2017, we purchased a new 2017 Volt off the lot, and I have my 2017 taxes ready to apply for the $7500 federal tax credit, got the state sales tax exemption and no EV registration surcharge because it is a hybrid. At the dealership, the sales person said GM is planning on discontinuing Volts in 2019, because the EV mileage on the Bolt is getting near the daily driving limit at which point plug-in anxiety s not a factor (but then again, should you ever believe a car salesman?). If you want a EV power train with a gas booster gas engine for the foreseeable future, I would suggest a new 2017 off the lot (with the comfort package with heated seats) if they are still available. I agree that with EV mileage on all EV creeping up to 300 miles, I don't see EV power train with a gas booster engine being around in the future. Some would say that getting the latest and greatest of a discontinuing line might be a good strategy for those that keep cars until they die. Although 10 years down the line, it might be difficult to get the Volt repaired.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Saving$ wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm So the Volt essentially has unlimited range because it runs on battery to start, and gas once the battery runs out?
But unlike a hybrid that has both gas & electric, this thing need to be plugged in to run on electric only?
Essentially. The internal difference is that it's really an electric car with an onboard gas-powered generator. So when the battery gets low, it runs the engine and recharges the battery. Because it's not dealing with the variability of the gas running a drivetrain, it can be very efficient with its gas usage. But yes, you need to plug it in to charge the battery without consuming gas. It also uses higher-octane fuel because you hopefully go longer between refueling, assuming you're charging nightly and typically don't need to draw on the gas tank.

You get many of the advantages of an electric car with effectively no range anxiety, which is an attractive combination. However, to some extent you miss out on the "fewer moving parts" advantage of an electric car, because you still have an internal combustion engine with the associated maintenance needs.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

archbish99 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 pm
Saving$ wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm So the Volt essentially has unlimited range because it runs on battery to start, and gas once the battery runs out?
Essentially. The internal difference is that it's really an electric car with an onboard gas-powered generator. So when the battery gets low, it runs the engine and recharges the battery. Because it's not dealing with the variability of the gas running a drivetrain, it can be very efficient with its gas usage. But yes, you need to plug it in to charge the battery without consuming gas. It also uses higher-octane fuel because you hopefully go longer between refueling, assuming you're charging nightly and typically don't need to draw on the gas tank.

You get many of the advantages of an electric car with effectively no range anxiety, which is an attractive combination. However, to some extent you miss out on the "fewer moving parts" advantage of an electric car, because you still have an internal combustion engine with the associated maintenance needs.
Generation 2 volts were designed to run on regular gas(87 octane). Generation 1 was designed to run on 91 octane (premium). There is nothing about the plug in that requires higher octane gas. GM just picked a motor that required it to get better MPG. The customer base though for fuel efficient cars didn't care for buying premium though. The volts engine can drive the generator but it can also drive the wheels directly.Reality didn't match the story GM was telling originally:). They have some complex system to make it work and pick which modes to operate in.

Plug in hybrids are the combo of best of both worlds and the worst of both worlds:) You are always lugging around that engine (which might be lighter than adding in batteries for another 200 miles of range. Probably cheaper) but you also always have an engine. It seems to me that the window for them is closing as battery tech improves but I expect they have another decade or so of life left before battery tech and charging infrastructure makes them a relict for most uses.

The 2016 is a much nicer car but I don't know how many are on the used market yet. If you live in a state/city/county with tax rebates, you should run the math on if leasing or buying new makes sense. You can get some cases where it works out better when you are getting 10k+ of rebates especially if the dealer is discounting (say on a leftover 2017) by a good chunk.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

There are a few available here for around $20,000. https://www.brenengen.com/search/used/?md=1037&tp=used
JDot

Post by JDot »

I was close to buying one. I literally couldn't find any significant concerns against. If memory serves, I was looking at 2012-2013 ones with 30-50k miles on them for like $15k. I ended up going with a plug in prius which was similarly priced only because I trusted Toyota more. But I literally couldn't find any "horror" stories. For the record, for various reasons, plug-in-prius (prii) can be had for about the same price as a used regular prius.

Good luck!
hightower

Post by hightower »

tavore wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm I finally need another car, and I've been eyeing Chevy Volts for a long time. I don't want to lease, as my plan to is to keep it for a long time, and I'm not that bothered by technology changes. As long as I can handle the range anxiety, I'm good. Not that I drive a lot - I barely average a couple thousand a year. I want a reliable and safe car that's good for city driving, and can also handle the occasional long trips.

Used Chevy Volts with under 30K mileage seem to be relative bargains, considering that the car is generally reviewed well. Is there any significant difference between 2014/15/16 models in terms of features and reliability that I should consider? 2014 models are obviously a lot cheaper, but I want to get a good balance between price and features - safety and reliability being the primary. Comfort-wise, my only concern is how adjustable the drivers seats are, and that I don't have to crane my neck to see where I'm going. I wish they designed better cars for short-torsoed women :|

I'm excited for my car hunt! If you have any other options that I should look at, please suggest. :sharebeer
My brother in law drive a Volt and he now wishes he would have waited for the Bolt. He says he hates that he has to plug it in every single day whereas with a bolt he could drive for multiple days in a row without charging it. If you don't drive a lot, you'll have very low cost of ownership with a pure electric vehicle. With a hybrid like the Volt, you'll still be paying for maintenance on a gas motor you rarely use. Why tow around a heavy motor if you likely won't be using it? Get the bolt:) I drive an i3 by the way and I'll never go back to ICE cars
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

hightower wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am My brother in law drive a Volt and he now wishes he would have waited for the Bolt. He says he hates that he has to plug it in every single day whereas with a bolt he could drive for multiple days in a row without charging it. If you don't drive a lot, you'll have very low cost of ownership with a pure electric vehicle. With a hybrid like the Volt, you'll still be paying for maintenance on a gas motor you rarely use. Why tow around a heavy motor if you likely won't be using it? Get the bolt:) I drive an i3 by the way and I'll never go back to ICE cars
I'm going to guess your brother-in-law doesn't have convenient charging, like a private garage or driveway with easy access to an outlet (I'd say 240v, but for the Volt, a 120v would get you by overnight). If so, this is an important point to remember. The Volt's EV efficiency is based on plugging in to charge that battery. With 38-50 miles of range, one would likely need to plug in daily to stay in EV mode. This is assuming one is trying to avoid using gas. If you don't mind using the gas side, it is an efficient vehicle and the issue of charging is less of a concern.

For the Op, would you have easy access to plug in the vehicle daily? That may influence your decision.

In my EV, I don't plug in daily, but I have the charger plugged in and the cord hanging on the wall in the garage right behind where I park (I back in), so it takes seconds to plug in for me and isn't an issue even if I plugged in daily.
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

A friend bought a gen 1 and loves it. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you get it inspected by a competent person. Thanks for being good to the environment!
taguscove

Post by taguscove »

I own a 2014 Chevy Volt base and love it. I can't imagine returning to a conventional car after owning one. The 0-30 mph responsiveness is really a great driving experience. You really can't go wrong with any year. Just find the best value for your price range. Used volts have held up well, unlike Nissan Leaf with minimal battery range loss. 2015 and newer models are roughly 10% better at everything, and include an (uncomfortable) 5th seat.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

As someone mentioned, the Volt is heavier than the Bolt because of the extra engine. We live 12 miles from downtown, and in the two months since we bought the car, we drove 1600 miles and only 2 miles was on gas (when we made three trips into town that day). We charge every night in our garage with 110 volt 8, amp (about 1 KwH/hr or 3 EV miles/hour charging) where the charger is permanently installed ( with loose electrical staples). Depending on the driving habits of the OP, one option is to get an all electric vehicle, and assume you will need to rent an ICE on the rate occasions you go on a road trip.
btenny

Post by btenny »

What is the self discharge rate of the battery? The issue is what happens to the car/battery if you do not plug it in for maybe 3 months? I want a car that I can leave for months unattended at my second home. Or suppose I leave it plugged in for 3 months charging and never drive it? What does this do to the battery?

These same questions apply to the OP who only drives 2K miles per year.
hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns »

notinuse wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am There are a few available here for around $20,000. https://www.brenengen.com/search/used/?md=1037&tp=used
I bought mine, a 2014 with ~45k miles, for $12.5k from Carvana or 14k after all the taxes and fees. It was a great experience including free delivery to my doorstep. You could probably pick up a late 2015, 2nd gen model in the high teens right now. Personally if I had to buy again right now I would spend a bit extra and get the gen 2 which has better EV range and a more powerful engine.

tavore wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm Anything in particular that you don't like with your Volt?
A few things I've noticed:

- the battery performance really degrades when it's cold outside, especially below 45 degrees. My EV range drops from 38 to high 20s when it gets below freezing. However, the Volt requires you to turn the engine on when it drops below 40 or so.
- the bluetooth system for playing music/podcasts is a bit buggy. I think they fixed this in later model years.
- 38 miles of EV range is a pain for me b/c I have to recharge at least once during the week. At 50 miles I could go the whole work week without recharging.
btenny wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm What is the self discharge rate of the battery? The issue is what happens to the car/battery if you do not plug it in for maybe 3 months? I want a car that I can leave for months unattended at my second home. Or suppose I leave it plugged in for 3 months charging and never drive it? What does this do to the battery?
Not sure about 3 months but I've left mine for two weeks and noticed it drop about 10-15%. It was stored inside my home garage which keeps the temp above 50. If you stored it outside in the cold it would discharge rapidly. I usually leave mine plugged in now if I know that I need it as soon as I return. Leaving it plugged in does not harm the battery.

Personally I would not buy it as an occasional use / vacation car, that would defeat the point of getting an EV.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

I have no idea what is financially optimal, but I'd be inclined to try to find one that is deeply discounted because the battery is at the end of its life, and plan to replace the battery right after purchase.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

chemocean wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm As someone mentioned, the Volt is heavier than the Bolt because of the extra engine.

The 2016 Volt is the lighter car at 3519 compared to the Volts 3563. The engine weighs less than the batteries.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

jalbert wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm I have no idea what is financially optimal, but I'd be inclined to try to find one that is deeply discounted because the battery is at the end of its life, and plan to replace the battery right after purchase.
That is pretty much impossible to find car. Volt batteries were overengineered and have show basically no deterioration in range. Maybe in another 5-10 year when there are more 250k+ mile cars this will be possible. The threat of needing a new battery is like that of needing a new engine. Odds are it will last as long as you want the car but it gets expensive when you lose that bet.
JDot

Post by JDot »

jalbert wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm I have no idea what is financially optimal, but I'd be inclined to try to find one that is deeply discounted because the battery is at the end of its life, and plan to replace the battery right after purchase.
Not to pick on this post (I mean it's logical) but it's not practical. I could not find a single Volt which needed a battery replacement. When I was looking, some sources said GM quoted $10k for a battery. But it's a non-issue. Nobody could find an example of a volt needing a battery replacement. This isn't like a regular prius where the battery may die at 200,000 miles and you replace it for 1,500-3k.

One person had I believe 400,000 miles with no issues other than a little battery degradation. It was some GM employee w/ an insane commute because his plant closed so they let him work at one 4 hours away or something. You can find it if you google.
taguscove

Post by taguscove »

Seems to me the person talking about end of life battery doesn't know what they're talking about. The battery life issue just doesn't exist with Volts. 2011-2013 leafs had the issue under extreme hit conditions.

Volt running engine below 40 degrees is real.
Battery range cut from 40 to 20 miles in cold weather is also real.
The gas generator also doesn't sound pleasant.

Overall though, an amazingly well engineered and reliable car from Chevrolet.
Topic Author
tavore

Post by tavore »

BrandonBogle wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am
hightower wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am My brother in law drive a Volt and he now wishes he would have waited for the Bolt. He says he hates that he has to plug it in every single day whereas with a bolt he could drive for multiple days in a row without charging it. If you don't drive a lot, you'll have very low cost of ownership with a pure electric vehicle. With a hybrid like the Volt, you'll still be paying for maintenance on a gas motor you rarely use. Why tow around a heavy motor if you likely won't be using it? Get the bolt:) I drive an i3 by the way and I'll never go back to ICE cars
I'm going to guess your brother-in-law doesn't have convenient charging, like a private garage or driveway with easy access to an outlet (I'd say 240v, but for the Volt, a 120v would get you by overnight). If so, this is an important point to remember. The Volt's EV efficiency is based on plugging in to charge that battery. With 38-50 miles of range, one would likely need to plug in daily to stay in EV mode. This is assuming one is trying to avoid using gas. If you don't mind using the gas side, it is an efficient vehicle and the issue of charging is less of a concern.

For the Op, would you have easy access to plug in the vehicle daily? That may influence your decision.

In my EV, I don't plug in daily, but I have the charger plugged in and the cord hanging on the wall in the garage right behind where I park (I back in), so it takes seconds to plug in for me and isn't an issue even if I plugged in daily.
That's my conundrum - I live in a condo complex, and my parking spot does not have a plug point. I might have to pay a bit to get something installed. I was thinking that I could get it charged in outside charging stations while shopping etc in the meantime, and use gas as needed otherwise. In the long term, I see everyone having to move to electric cars, so I eventually will need to get something installed for charging anyway.
Topic Author
tavore

Post by tavore »

Some additional details - we moved to a downtown condo two years ago, and I work from home, with very occasional travel involved. As a consequence, I hardly have a need to drive for the day to day stuff, as everything is pretty much at a short walking distance. In that sense, I have the luxury of being very patient until the right deal comes along. As a matter of fact, I'm getting the extra long rolling side-eye from DW when she sees me on the carman site. A combination of walking, transit, Uber and her driving takes care of most of my car needs, and she doesn't think I need anything costing more than 10K.

My last (and only) car was a 98 Buick century that I've had for the last 7 years, and barely put 20K miles in (< 130K total). So even the most basic features in the Volt would be a huge improvement, and I'm not picky about it. It doesn't get too cold in the South Bay, so temperatures aren't that much of a concern - battery should be fine, and I can skip the butt warmers. I just want a reliable car with decent performance that I don't need to take to a repair shop for the next 5 years at a minimum.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Watch out for used Volts. Sellers like to try and fake you into thinking they bought it near the MSRP. There's all sorts of federal, State, regional and local credits they won't tell you about that they received. There's also credits from utilities. I searched for a friend and told him to just buy new. It really didn't make sense to buy used. It's only a little more after all the incentives kicked in and you'll get the warranty. Watch it for the constant backfire on the 16 and above. The previous generation is junk with a cheap looking star trek dash, stay away.

Look at the Honda clarity if you want a non gm ev. It'll retain it's value better too.
telemark

Post by telemark »

If you're not planning to charge it regularly, you might also consider the Chevy Malibu hybrid. It uses the same technology as the Volt, without the plugin part, and Chevy claims 49 mpg in city driving.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I didn't read all the posts, but I just saw an article this week on the top 10 quickly depreciating cars. The Volt was on the list. So, I guess that can be good or bad depending on your perspective.
aqan

Post by aqan »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:45 pm I didn't read all the posts, but I just saw an article this week on the top 10 quickly depreciating cars. The Volt was on the list. So, I guess that can be good or bad depending on your perspective.
that might be why it caught OP's eye.
My wife has the 2017 Volt and likes it. Pickup is great, she gets 55+/charge miles in the city driving. the range depletes really fast if you use the heater. We got used to the quite driving with battery soon and now hate it when the engine comes on. I'd go for the model with higher range, even the 55+ miles run out real fast especially if you live in a cold place.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Get v.2
hightower

Post by hightower »

BrandonBogle wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

No he does have one in his garage. I think his hang up is that he basically tries to use it as an EV only car and he wishes he had more range. He doesn't like buying gas and I can't blame him.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:45 pm I didn't read all the posts, but I just saw an article this week on the top 10 quickly depreciating cars. The Volt was on the list. So, I guess that can be good or bad depending on your perspective.
The reason for the quickly depreciating Volt is because the original owner got the $7500 federal tax CREDIT, and the owner of the used vehicle doesn't. Why buy a used 2016 Volt for $23,000 with mileage, when you may still be able to a new 2017 Volt of the lot for $30K - $7500 the credit.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

From Agan's recent post "the range depletes really fast if you use the heater" When I turned on the max heating in my 2017 volt, instantaneous power consumption went up 8 Kw. If you are driving 30 MPH in the city for an hour, you are using about 10 KwH in that hour (30 miles/ 3 miles/KwH). So in city driving with the max heat on, 10 KwH is going to driving and 8 KwH is going to heating. You might as well turn the gas generator on, because you won't be wasting the heat. That is why is also important to get the comfort package (new or used) with heated seats, and heated steering wheel. If you dress warmly with the conform package, you won't need to use max heat unless there is ice on your windshield.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

chemocean wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm
The reason for the quickly depreciating Volt is because the original owner got the $7500 federal tax CREDIT, and the owner of the used vehicle doesn't. Why buy a used 2016 Volt for $23,000 with mileage, when you may still be able to a new 2017 Volt of the lot for $30K - $7500 the credit.
That is one of the reasons. There are multiple reasons. There were a lot on fleet leases. Gas prices are low. Newer generations of electric cars are available. GM also offered big incentives.
Topic Author
tavore

Post by tavore »

A final note to this thread - once I tallied up the costs it made more sense to buy a brand new 2018 Volt LT. After dealer/gm/financing discounts + taxes and expenses on the car, minus 7500 federal, 1500 state and 500 pg&e rebates/credits, and taking into account the short-term interest paid, my total costs come to 23500. I prefer buying and using long term to leasing. I went with the financing as they offered an additional 2500 discount. I plan to pay it all down by the end of the year.

So far, I'm really happy with the purchase. DW and I take turns driving, and it will be used for all trips other than her work commute, and periodically for that as well. It's responsive, excellent driving and perfectly sized for our needs.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Thanks for the update, especially pricing details.