What would trigger the NEXT market meltdown?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

What would trigger the NEXT market meltdown?

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

What would trigger the NEXT market meltdown? Totally thinking out loud.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
PFInterest

Re: What would trigger the NEXT market meltdown?

Post by PFInterest »

Anything. Next question.
dbr

Post by dbr »

PFInterest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:09 pm Anything. Next question.
Or nothing.
carruthers209

Post by carruthers209 »

www.cnbc.com/2017/11/02/incoming-ceo-of ... night.html

Vanguard's Tim Buckley shared that his biggest fear in running the multitrillion dollar investment firm: getting hacked.

Buckley, who succeeds Bill McNabb as CEO on Jan. 1, was asked at the 2nd-annual Evidence-Based Investing conference what keeps him up at night.

"Cyber," he replied at Thursday's conference in New York. "It is front of mind all the time. It's a huge investment for us."

"You have to make sure you have defense in depth. Making sure you have a strong perimeter."

The executive said he feels the burden for the retirements of millions of clients and the firm's trillions of dollars in assets.

"I'm already stressing myself out [talking about it]," he said.
Last edited by carruthers209 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

dbr wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 pm
PFInterest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:09 pm Anything. Next question.
Or nothing.
Great input. We all know that will be the default answers by Bogleheads. It's a forum and having a conversation is fun. Don't be too stubborn, it's okay to think wild thoughts. Nobody get hurts.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Cyber security... interesting, never thought of that.

IMO, it can't be N. Korea, they are too incompetent.
J295

Post by J295 »

NFC wins Sper Bowl. 😃
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

The truth is for every market meltdown, it took several years before a reasonable explanation showed up. But, even in that case, it may not be the real reason. And, probably the real reason may never be known.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Alabama loses to Auburn... wait, what? Never mind....
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Crude oil take another solid dip. :D
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

A number of bad things would or at least could trigger the next market meltdown. The last hundred years, the causes have been various:

(click for larger; table from J.P. Morgan's Guide to the Markets; above figures are price return only, so not as useful, and for example overstate 1929 for sure)

I guess you could argue a little about some of the above. Attribution is difficult when there are a lot of moving pieces.

That's just for some ideas. Could be something else. What do you consider a meltdown, anyway?
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

I think you selling now may do it. :D
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I think a mismatch of fed tightening/inflation tug of war will cause the next one.
I do not think extreme valuation unless we have atleast another great year like current one. Possible/upcoming tax changes adjustment to eps is expected at 10-15% which will bring P/E 1 to 20.

~~ just totally thinking out loud.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The same thing that triggers the fall of a Jenga tower.

Or the eruption of Mount Agung. Or an earthquake in Mexico.

The same thing that made the tornado destroy one building and leave the building next to it completely unharmed.

Nobody knows.

The system becomes unstable, there are a thousand perturbations that are not quite big enough to bring it down, and then as it becomes more and more unstable, one of them, no different from the nine hundred and ninety others, happens to be the one that does.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

See the first quotation in my signature below.
V V V
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

It might not trigger a meltdown but if the ten year treasury has a yield of 3.75% or over stocks would certainly be overpriced and many non buy and holders would get out
TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant »

I think a combination of things will lead to the next meltdown. The fed tightening policy, tension overseas with North Korea, people pulling their money out of the market just as easy as they put it in thanks to apps like Robinhood, and oil increasing to the point where people start to realize that electric cars are not the end all be all solution to the world's problems. Also, people becoming house poor because they couldn't wait for the market to stabilize.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Leverage
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Crimsontide wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:40 pm Alabama loses to Auburn... wait, what? Never mind....
Tennessee goes a whole season without winning a single SEC game.

Uh oh ....
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable, discussion derailed). See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.