Worth it to buy expensive clothes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anoop

Re: Worth it to buy expensive clothes?

Post by anoop »

nimo956 wrote: Do people think this is too extravagant, or is it worth it to buy quality?
Paying a lot does not mean you are getting quality. It is very hard to tell when you're getting quality. 99% of the time one is just paying for the brand. If you are truly paying for quality, it is worth it. How to know if you're getting quality? The only way is trial and error. Buy one, see how it goes for a month or two or longer and then buy a bunch.

The big issue I have with expensive clothing is the high maintenance that comes with it. A fundamental requirement of everything I wear is that it must be machine wash/dry. Most run-of-the-mill expensive clothing (i.e. the ones where you pay for brand and that are easily available) are dry clean only. I do not have the time and discipline for that. I prefer to wash my clothes after every time they are worn.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

mak1277 wrote:
I have a suit from BB that still fits, and still looks good, after having it for > 15 years. As for the shirts, perhaps you need to try a different dry cleaner or consider a different washer/dryer.

I'm never going to have a bad thing to say about BB clothes.
Their quality has declined over the years. That's the general consensus that I can gather. If you read their shirt reviews, many reviewers who were once really happy with their shirts from years ago are now disgruntled due to the drop in quality.

I use the exact same washer dryer for my cheapo Van Heusen shirts, and those are over 4 years old and still looking great. Unacceptable for a $92 shirt to fall apart after one year. And the same thing happened to all 3 shirts of the same model that I own.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Sounds like you really needed new clothing since yours were so old and fit you so poorly.

Be prepared for people to suspect that you have a new romantic relationship or are going for job interviews! :beer
climber2020 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
I have a suit from BB that still fits, and still looks good, after having it for > 15 years. As for the shirts, perhaps you need to try a different dry cleaner or consider a different washer/dryer.

I'm never going to have a bad thing to say about BB clothes.
Their quality has declined over the years. That's the general consensus that I can gather.
Brooks Brothers quality has definitely varied over the years. For a while there back in the 1980s, back when the shirts were still behind the counter, a button or two would invariably fall off the first few times they were laundered. However, they were pretty good about sewing them back on for you and making sure the rest were secure.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I guess it's a personal preference. My job requires me to wear dress cloths and tie, but I don't see the value in spending a lot. I spend lots of money on cars and even watches as I enjoy them. For cloths my wife goes to the Van Heusen outlet once a year and buys wrinkle free shirts and I wear the same black pants so she buys a few. I think the shirts costs around $20 and pants a bit more. But I have to accept, more money will look a tad bit sharper but I just don't value it. If you do, it's totally fine.

P.S: Everyone says I dress sharp. So, it doesn't have to cost a lot. I would hate it, if I have to spend $5k on clothing, just can't.
Minou33

Post by Minou33 »

I wouldn't pay retail for clothing. I buy gently used, last season designer clothes on ThredUp. I also shop at high end thrift or consignment shops. Unless you are in a field where people will especially focus on your clothing and it will cost you business if you aren't dressed impeccably, then I see no reason to spend that much.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

My entire work wardrobe consists entirely of Allen Edmonds (shoes and belts), Brooks Brothers OCBD, J Crew slacks and blazers, and for more casual days, Clarks desert boots and Levis 501 denim.

In my view, it's drastically simplified my life, it takes me 5 minutes to get ready in the morning. There's very little time wasted on figuring out what goes with what.

From a shopping perspective, I don't really clothes shop anymore, I know how everything fits so mostly just replace worn items after they've gone through a few seasons or an unfortunate coffee or ink stain claims a shirt. I can order whatever I need online with confidence it'll fit well.

Allen Edmonds shoes are recraftable. I've had my favorite pair resoled 3 times, at this point, it's been broken in to perfection.

Once you have your core wardrobe set, you can wait for sales and trunk shows to come your way, I was able to get a few custom Brooks shirts made for about the same price as their off the rack stuff by waiting for a trunk sale.

Going thrift and/or consignment has been hit or miss. The odds of finding something that fits me perfectly and doesn't have a weird stain is slim.

Buying better made clothes has actually allowed me to pare down my wardrobe. You're less inclined to buy seasonal crap that's on sale.

I probably spend around $1-2k a year on clothes which is dramatically less than what I suspect my peers spend. A large chunk of that is probably casual or weekend wear so discretionary.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

I like nice clothes and pay quite a bit for such ($12-15 k per year). I know when I look good and feel better when I do. Fit is indeed paramount. Once you find a brand that fits you well you should stick to it. For dress shirts, I have to admit that in my opinion nothing can come close to costco. Under $20 and they are equal or better quality to shirts in the $125-150 range.

Anyway, everybody has their own spending utility function. Hard to compare as we all have different means and needs.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

JonnyDVM wrote:I think there is definitely a sharp uptick in quality when you go more expensive vs and I don't buy the cheapest shirts anymore, however dropping $250 per shirt feels way over the top. $75 or maybe $100 is as much as I'd ever spend. I would defintely not drop 5k in one sitting on a wardrobe upgrade. That being said if you save 40% of your income and this is what you want to spend the rest on- then absolutely go for it.

Yeah there is a sweet spot. The difference between a 15 dollar polo and a 50 dollar one is pretty obvious. The difference between the 50 dollar on and the 150 dollar on isn't as big. A lot of times you enter in to the paying for a label when you start talking about clothes north of 200 bucks.

The exception is when you getting stuff custom made. In general fit is pretty much the most important thing for something to look good on you. A 500 dollar shirt that is 2 sizes to big or small isn't going to look as good as a 50 dollar one that fits right. Some people slide into existing sizes easily. Others struggle. I am little tempted to try some of the online custom fit places but I haven't done it let.

Personally I don't think I would ever buy that much clothing at once. I find buying half as much, 2x as often works better. Unless there is some big setup feel that makes buying a ton more cheapier, I just don't see the need to buy 3 years of clothes up front.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

It depends on your reason for wanting to buy the expensive clothes. If you're in a field where you'll be looked down on for not wearing expensive clothes, then maybe it's worth the investment. If you have specific shoe requirements (e.g., have a difficult to fit foot, on your feet all day) then I'd say that's probably worth it. Otherwise probably not.

Consider upkeep costs too. Silk for example needs to be dry cleaned.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

I'm on the low end of the income scale among Bogleheads. My usual uniform is $20 cargo pants from Modell's or thrift shop Levis. But, when I do splurge I seldom regret it. Fratelli Rossetti shoes (only when on sale), some Ralph Lauren shirts (actually turned the collar and kept wearing it until the second side wore through), the Burberry sweater (ouch!!) all paid off. Wear them constantly, love the look. I probably waste more on bargains that don't get worn - that Barney's shirt snagged in a thrift shop that's not quite my color.

Buy what you love, wear it 'til it falls apart.

Vic
silvercertificate

Post by silvercertificate »

BackOfTheNet wrote:As far as Allen Edmonds. If you don't know, here are two potentially cheaper ways to get them.

2nds: Shoebank.com

"3rds": There is an eBay seller (dabondo1 ) that sells a variety of factory rejects or shoes that have been tried on. They will accept 60% as a "best offer" on all the listed prices. The nice thing here VS shoebank is that you get to see the exact pair of shoes you are buying and decide if the defect is worth it to you.

I second this. I cannot remember the seller, but I got a great pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoes on ebay for half off retail. They had been returned to a retail store. For $10 in cash my local "shoe man" fixed them up and gave me a lifetime guarantee on his work. Several years later, this is no doubt the best money I have ever spent on shoes. Even at retail AE shoes would be a good value in my view. On the other hand, I think you can get quality pants and shirts for less. I agree with a previous poster about Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Nice quality and a good fit for me. Also, they are pretty easy to find on sale.
mcfroggin

Post by mcfroggin »

climber2020 wrote:
Brooks Brothers dress shirts are expensive, and they look nice. But the quality is garbage. I received several shirts a little over a year ago as a gift, and they're falling apart already. All of them. Meanwhile, my $25 Van Heusen dress shirts from Kohl's are over 4 years old and still holding up very well. Same treatment of clothing and frequency of wear, yet the shirt that cost 3 times more ended up being a piece of trash.
Very interesting as I've found the exact opposite. I used to buy Van Heusen dress shirts, but they shrink over 1-2 years. I then tried Charles Tyrwhitt, but they are extremely poor quality with color discoloration. I then gave in and tried Brooks Brothers and after 3 years, the shirts still look almost new with no shrinking or discoloration.

BB is still expensive though, and I saw a couple J Crew shirts that I liked - we will see if they hold up.
Enjoy life but save vigorously!
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

The Italian designers such as Armani and Prada are good, but only if you are a slim fit. Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers work for regular fits.
Shoes from Allan Edmonds are good, They can get you through a metal detector without having to take your shoes off.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just got my 10+ year supply of BrooksBrothers shirts in the mail yesterday. Yep, 5 shirts at 40% off, plus a free shirt thrown in. I wear a slim fit and see that BB now has an even slimmer fit, so I'm not sure about the comment about "regular fits." Normally my mom would have given me these shirts, but she passed away and now I have to buy them on my own. I've owned some other shirts, but I like BB the best and get the most compliments when I wear a BB shirt.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I have weird proportions that don't fit well with stuff off-the-rack and go the made to measure route. It's a big difference. Given your savings rate, pull the trigger and report back how much better you look and feel wearing clothes that fit well.
Zea Mays

Post by Zea Mays »

Buy good clothes and shoes. But not all items are equally valuable. Pants wear out faster than jackets, and shoes count far more than shirts. Invest in jackets and shoes; economize on shirts but make sure they are substantial, not sleazy or translucent; get mid-range, well-fitting pants - fit is more important here. Get lining if you can afford it. People check out shoes more than you might think.
To be observed, to be attended to, to be taken notice of with sympathy, complacency, and approbation, are all the advantages which we can propose to derive from wealth. Plus healthcare.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Yes, it's worth it, but I don't think it's necessary or even ideal to buy an entire new wardrobe all at once. You could just get 2-3 shirts and 1-2 suits/pants for now along with 1-2 pair of new shoes (black and brown). Then repeat this fall when the weather changes or add a few pieces here and there as you need to fill gaps. This gives you the ability to shift course if the size or fabric or cut isn't 100% to your liking on the first go round, versus getting a large wardrobe custom made. I'm not even sure a man needs 10 dress shirts to be honest! My husband wears a suit every day and probably rotates only his favorite 5-6 shirts and ties. The rest just hang in there unused.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Zea Mays wrote:Buy good clothes and shoes. But not all items are equally valuable. Pants wear out faster than jackets, and shoes count far more than shirts. Invest in jackets and shoes; economize on shirts but make sure they are substantial, not sleazy or translucent; get mid-range, well-fitting pants - fit is more important here. Get lining if you can afford it. People check out shoes more than you might think.
This is great advice, particularly the part about investing in shoes. Uncomfortable and poor fitting shoes can ruin your feet, back, and knees. I know elderly people with chronic problems caused by a lifetime of poor shoe choices. It's much more than a vanity thing.

If you can find comfortable shoes at a lower price - many people do - then by all means save your money. But if you can't find cheaper shoes that are comfortable for you personally, don't hesitate to spend more.

For the women, I think the same applies to bras. Don't hesitate to spend more on them if you can't find comfortable less expensive ones.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

livesoft wrote:Just got my 10+ year supply of BrooksBrothers shirts in the mail yesterday.
This is a bit different for men and women. Women's fashion changes so much, and if a woman doesn't keep up at least a little, they can be subtly discriminated against for being "frumpy" or "not with the times". Men's clothes, on the other hand, don't really change.
nsherman2006

Post by nsherman2006 »

Holy smokes...I went to the thrift store yesterday and got a pair of Polo pants, a pair of Polo shorts, a brand new pair of Greg Norman shorts, a Nike Dri-fit polo, and 2 button-down shirts (Brooks Brothers and J Crew). All are in excellent condition and fit well (I'm fortunate enough to be an off-the-rack fit)

I spent $40 and have been wondering whether I overspent. I now feel entirely absolved of regret.

I will say that shoes are by far the most justifiable place to splurge (I say this wearing $12 thrift store Johnston and Murphy dress shoes that are more comfortable than sneakers). Bad shoes make for a bad day (or worse)
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

nsherman2006 wrote:Holy smokes...I went to the thrift store yesterday and got a pair of Polo pants, a pair of Polo shorts, a brand new pair of Greg Norman shorts, a Nike Dri-fit polo, and 2 button-down shirts (Brooks Brothers and J Crew). All are in excellent condition and fit well (I'm fortunate enough to be an off-the-rack fit)

I spent $40 and have been wondering whether I overspent. I now feel entirely absolved of regret.

I will say that shoes are by far the most justifiable place to splurge (I say this wearing $12 thrift store Johnston and Murphy dress shoes that are more comfortable than sneakers). Bad shoes make for a bad day (or worse)
Are men's clothes cheaper at the thrift store than womens clothes? I've been to several thrift stores in both high and low cost of living areas, and casual shirts (not t-shirts) are around $8-10. Shirts appropriate for business casual are around $15. More for brand name stuff.

So $40 wouldn't get you a third of what you bought in the men's section.

As for your shoes from the thrift store, are you not worried about athletes foot fungus and other yucky stuff? That's why I don't buy used shoes.
Last edited by sawhorse on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Good quality lasts forever. Great if you don't mind looking "dated".
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

bighatnohorse wrote:Good quality lasts forever. Great if you don't mind looking "dated".
And if you don't gain weight :P
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

sawhorse wrote:...

Are men's clothes cheaper at the thrift store than womens clothes? I've been to several thrift stores in both high and low cost of living areas, and casual shirts (not t-shirts) are around $8-10. Shirts appropriate for business casual are around $15. More for brand name stuff.

[/quote]

Yikes, you're getting ripped off by your thrift stores. The big ones around here (operated by Goodwill, and a few others) typically charge $6 for all long sleeve shirts and $4 for short sleeve - same for men & women. I've gotten some nice brand-name stuff for that price; Penguin & Nike brand men's shirts, Ann Taylor women's blouses. The only difference between men & women that I've noticed is that men have a separate category called "t-shirt" which is cheaper, but the women's section doesn't have them separate. So ladies styled tees cost the same as the other more expensive short sleeve shirts. (I argued the point with an employee once but got nowhere).

Are you shopping at the big-box thrift stores, or smaller boutique resale shops?
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

mmcmonster wrote:
nimo956 wrote:My SO affectionately commented that I dress like I'm wearing a potato sack.
There's something to be said for dressing for success.

Even if your job is something where how you look shouldn't matter, you may get significantly farther or taken more seriously if you're sharply dressed.

As a physician, I notice that most of my colleagues just throw on whatever they find in the closet before going to work. I wear a jacket, dress pants, shirt and tie every day. I have a significantly easier time dealing with administration and the patients frequently comment as well.

Every time I go through contract negotiations it's a walk in the park compared to my colleagues. I can't help but think that at least part of that is due to my professional 'outfit' that they see every day.
When I was getting ready to retire from the Navy I took a course on career transition. One of the topics that was covered was how to dress for the business world since most military guys didn't necessarily have a great civilian wardrobe. Nor were they used to spending good money for clothes. They had a couple of haberdashers come in and give presentations (using viewgraphs and models) of things to do and things not to do. They also emphasized the smaller points - ties, shoes, wrist watches, etc. I followed the advice very closely (I didn't always buy from the very top-end stores but from stores certainly better than the local department store). I felt that the investment was well worth the cost. I always felt that I was at least the equal of anyone I dealt with, no matter where they were in the corporate hierarchy. The old military saw of "When you look sharp you feel sharp and when you feel sharp you are sharp" seemed to apply in the corporate world, at least in my own experience.

Now that I'm retired I'm much less concerned with clothes but I still think that it generally pays to buy quality for both appearance and longevity of the clothing.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

Minou33 wrote:I wouldn't pay retail for clothing. I buy gently used, last season designer clothes on ThredUp. I also shop at high end thrift or consignment shops. Unless you are in a field where people will especially focus on your clothing and it will cost you business if you aren't dressed impeccably, then I see no reason to spend that much.
That's a good strategy if you have a common size
DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina »

OP, I'd say whether it's worth it depends on your circumstances. For example, I was in the courtroom daily (and not in the shabby criminal courts where even the lawyers present themselves like bums). It was worth it for me in the beginning of 2015 to spend $22,000 on 9 Brooks Brothers suits, 7 pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, and various accessories. Yet this may not be necessary for you. It may not even have been necessary for me, but under my personal code of honor I deemed it so.
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

friar1610 wrote:
mmcmonster wrote:
nimo956 wrote:My SO affectionately commented that I dress like I'm wearing a potato sack.
There's something to be said for dressing for success.

Even if your job is something where how you look shouldn't matter, you may get significantly farther or taken more seriously if you're sharply dressed.

As a physician, I notice that most of my colleagues just throw on whatever they find in the closet before going to work. I wear a jacket, dress pants, shirt and tie every day. I have a significantly easier time dealing with administration and the patients frequently comment as well.

Every time I go through contract negotiations it's a walk in the park compared to my colleagues. I can't help but think that at least part of that is due to my professional 'outfit' that they see every day.
When I was getting ready to retire from the Navy I took a course on career transition. One of the topics that was covered was how to dress for the business world since most military guys didn't necessarily have a great civilian wardrobe. Nor were they used to spending good money for clothes. They had a couple of haberdashers come in and give presentations (using viewgraphs and models) of things to do and things not to do. They also emphasized the smaller points - ties, shoes, wrist watches, etc. I followed the advice very closely (I didn't always buy from the very top-end stores but from stores certainly better than the local department store). I felt that the investment was well worth the cost. I always felt that I was at least the equal of anyone I dealt with, no matter where they were in the corporate hierarchy. The old military saw of "When you look sharp you feel sharp and when you feel sharp you are sharp" seemed to apply in the corporate world, at least in my own experience.

Now that I'm retired I'm much less concerned with clothes but I still think that it generally pays to buy quality for both appearance and longevity of the clothing.
Yes I know the Navy places a lot of emphasis on appearance, I heard a Poor shoe shine can ruin a career in the Navy
Last edited by Nova1967 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

sawhorse wrote:
nsherman2006 wrote:Holy smokes...I went to the thrift store yesterday and got a pair of Polo pants, a pair of Polo shorts, a brand new pair of Greg Norman shorts, a Nike Dri-fit polo, and 2 button-down shirts (Brooks Brothers and J Crew). All are in excellent condition and fit well (I'm fortunate enough to be an off-the-rack fit)

As for your shoes from the thrift store, are you not worried about athletes foot fungus and other yucky stuff? That's why I don't buy used shoes.
I have never bought a pair of used shoes but I did donate a $350 pair of Bruni Maglis to the Salvation Army. I only wore them one time. They eventually shrunk and were too tight to wear
Someone got a good deal
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I'm well shorter than average with short limbs, and my tush is large relative to the rest of me. Clothing companies seem to think that if you have a big tush, you also have long legs :annoyed

For not-that-common body shapes and sizes, fit is far more important than quality. Find a competent tailor. I've had some good inexpensive tailors, but if you can't find one that's inexpensive, pay for quality. Tailoring is a better investment than the original piece of clothing.

I envy people of average height and proportions :(
pintail07

Post by pintail07 »

I prefer to have my shirts and suits tailored to me. I pay 500-600 per suit and buy my shirts from Best Custom Shirts when they have specials of 2 for 1. Custom shirts then cost 35 to 100,
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (clothes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
reisner

Post by reisner »

I like to look neat, trim, well-turned out. Not dressy, not metrosexual, not Italian, not a Londoner, just my style, but not so pronounced that it would interfere with my chatting with a lawyer, or a Hell's Angel. I notice that most men of anywhere near my age (71) dress like plain slobs, unless it's like golfers or gym rats. Mostly slobs. I wear slightly outdoorsy, slightly old fashioned, high-quality stuff that I have almost always gotten a great deal on through Sierra Trading Post or eBay and that I'll wear till it falls elegantly apart. I pay attention to shoes, even hiking shoes, custom belt (Hollows Leather), custom wallet (One Star Leather), nice fountain pen (Pelikan), brass Japanese fish hook key fob (The Buckle Guy), knife (Benchmade and Wagner Blades), eyeglasses (Silhouette). For a watch, though, a nice Casio with Arabic numerals will do. A lot of stuff from Patagonia, Pendleton, Viyella, Scottish cashmere (never Chinese), Gran Sasso, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Steinbok, Tommy Bahama and Mountain Khaki khakis and shorts. More and more linen, even linen towels.

I guess that means I can be as fussy as a guy who spends thousands a year on clothes, but I spend hundreds. Well, near a thousand, but my kit is nearly complete and It all fits in a six foot closet. My best score lately was a Zanelli 100% alpaca unconstructed blazer, mint, for $25 on eBay--at least a $1500 steal. Now, if anybody knows where to get a deal on a Barracuda windbreaker . . .

Oh, and never, ever camo, not even when hunting. And last but not least: posture, posture!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Sp you vote for buying expensive clothes? Personally I find thrift store shopping incredibly expensive. An hour+ of my time (50-150 bucks) to learn that they don't have anything in my size. I can only justify it as a hobby.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

No, not since Syms closed.

I loved Syms. It was a great store. Will I ever buy a suit for $ 400 or sports coat for $150 worth a multiple ? Not after Syms closed. I used to buy 12 suits a year. Since they closed I have not bought a suit.

Six years later I am still in mourning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syms_Corporation
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Wildebeest wrote:No, not since Syms closed.

I loved Syms. It was a great store. Will I ever buy a suit for $ 400 or sports coat for $150 worth a multiple ? Not after Syms closed. I used to buy 12 suits a year. Since they closed I have not bought a suit.

Six years later I am still in mourning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syms_Corporation
I was underwhelmed with Syms. My mom loved that place so we went there a lot.

Once I was old enough to buy my own 'best' interview suit, I quickly saw that Syms did not carry quality standard dark-navy blue suits. Nor did any of the other discounters. Ok, if you were some extreme size fit, they might have one, but remember, these are discounters, so those highly in-demand 'standard' suits were never to be found. You could settle and get one with pinstripes, or some other additional flourish, but all the plain vanilla ones were never there. I spent 7 months looking, then I finally caved and bought an excellent suit from Brooks brothers that is still outstanding on me now 15 yrs later. (I can't vouch to as whether BB quality is the same now as back then , but I will say that a $100 shirt I bought back them is markedly superior to a $100 shirt I recently bought from them now. It's quite obvious in the detail and quality of the fabric stitching, which is not something you can find in a normal shirt today.)
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I'm lucky that I get to wear $20 jeans and $20-$40 polos every day. I did invest in a comfortable pair of boots and a belt to match. I agree with everyone else that you want to feel sharp and look sharp and that comfy footwear is a must.

Also, I've noticed over the years that the more fit a person is, the more likely they are to make the clothes look good rather than the clothes make them look good. Good incentive to stay in shape.
DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina »

reisner wrote:I like to look neat, trim, well-turned out. Not dressy, not metrosexual, not Italian, not a Londoner, just my style, but not so pronounced that it would interfere with my chatting with a lawyer, or a Hell's Angel. I notice that most men of anywhere near my age (71) dress like plain slobs, unless it's like golfers or gym rats. Mostly slobs. I wear slightly outdoorsy, slightly old fashioned, high-quality stuff that I have almost always gotten a great deal on through Sierra Trading Post or eBay and that I'll wear till it falls elegantly apart. I pay attention to shoes, even hiking shoes, custom belt (Hollows Leather), custom wallet (One Star Leather), nice fountain pen (Pelikan), brass Japanese fish hook key fob (The Buckle Guy), knife (Benchmade and Wagner Blades), eyeglasses (Silhouette). For a watch, though, a nice Casio with Arabic numerals will do. A lot of stuff from Patagonia, Pendleton, Viyella, Scottish cashmere (never Chinese), Gran Sasso, Icebreaker, Smartwool, Steinbok, Tommy Bahama and Mountain Khaki khakis and shorts. More and more linen, even linen towels.

I guess that means I can be as fussy as a guy who spends thousands a year on clothes, but I spend hundreds. Well, near a thousand, but my kit is nearly complete and It all fits in a six foot closet. My best score lately was a Zanelli 100% alpaca unconstructed blazer, mint, for $25 on eBay--at least a $1500 steal. Now, if anybody knows where to get a deal on a Barracuda windbreaker . . .

Oh, and never, ever camo, not even when hunting. And last but not least: posture, posture!
No L.L. Bean? How dare you .
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121
reisner

Post by reisner »

Some years ago I found L..L. Bean's quality had declined. It may have picked back up, but I'm still looking for better. I would like some information on both their quality control and human rights record, since everything they sell seems to be made in China. Patagonia on the other hand publishes extensive information about their sources and methods of manufacture.
Last edited by reisner on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina »

reisner wrote:Some years ago I found L>L> Bean's quality had declined. It may have picked back up, but I'm still looking for better. I would like some information on both their quality control and human rights record, since everything they sell seems to be made in China. Patagonia on the other had publishes extensive information about their sources and methods of manufacture.
Interesting. Seriously though, lotsa thanks for your previous post with the listed items and sources;, e.g., the brass Japanese fish hook key fob (The Buckle Guy).
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

I loved Syms. There was some great stuff among the drags. I will never buy another suit. I would go to Syms once a week and go through the racks and it was like X mas every time I would go there, there were great gifts at great prices.

I am so glad that we survived 2008 and 2009 but loosing Syms still hurts.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
katwillny

Post by katwillny »

I am in a similar situation. I am returning to the corporate scene after a few years of working retail. Took a much needed break from the IT world to do something complete different. I went to work for one of the large home improvement outfits. After 25 years of working IT i needed a change of scene. I am now back to IT and need new rags. I found that going to places like Burlington coat factory and The Bonton saves a ton. Went and got a wardrobe for each day of the week for three weeks a fraction of what I had paid had i gone the Banana Republic or the Gap or J-Crew which are my places of choice to shop. I also hit up a few Goodwill Stores and made out very well.