Do You Take Your Credit Card Receipts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Jelloanddon

Do You Take Your Credit Card Receipts?

Post by Jelloanddon »

With some exceptions, I don't take my credit card receipts or ask for them when offered. These are typically small dollar amounts or from places like restaurants, beauty salons, etc. I use Mint and look at my transactions daily and have had no problem reconciling my expenses.

Am I missing something by not taking them with me or having the clerk print them out?
Goal33

Re: Do You Take Your Credit Card Receipts?

Post by Goal33 »

I take them. I don't have a good reason for it though
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I always take them to reconcile the monthly statement.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We buy everything with credit cards. We take all our receipts and keep them in a box in the kitchen for a couple of months in case there are discrepancies on CC statements. Then periodically dump the box into the recycle.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I take them, and keep them for a couple days. My theory is that errors in tip entry are less likely to occur when you take the receipt.
simmias

Post by simmias »

I used to get one for every transaction, put it in my Costanza wallet, enter it into Microsoft Money eventually, and then reconcile my accounts every month.

After years of doing this, I concluded this was a gigantic waste of time. The only errors I ever found were restaurants or bars that entered an incorrect tip amount.

Now I only get receipts when I go to restaurants or bars, and trust Mint for the rest.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Only for places with tipping. Found errors on those receipts all the time.
sport

Post by sport »

I take all the receipts. I figure if there is any kind of error, that is my proof to show the bank what the charge should be. I also check the receipts against the bill to make sure everything is correct. It takes less than 5 minutes.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Yes; I always take receipts. Then, after about 3 weeks or so when I verify that the charge is correct (gas, grocery, etc.) I'll toss it.

But, if it's for an item (non-consumable) that might need to be returned or warrantied down the line, I'll save it.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
KATNYC

Post by KATNYC »

Yes, always. I keep the receipt to reconcile and in case I need to make a return. If I decide to keep it after the charge clears, I toss the receipt.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I generally and lax about receipts and have never had a problem. The only exception is for something big that I might return. Even then I can go online and get the credit card transaction number.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

All my purchases are via credit card and I keep all my credit card receipts for two reasons; 1) I live in a state where we do not have an income tax and have the election ability to use state and local sales tax paid as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A "if" I itemize deductions which is very unusual for this retired couple, and 2) up until the last few years have always reconciled my retained receipt to my monthly credit card billing.

I have only had one error on my credit card billing in the past fifteen years or so and it was only for one penny. With so much information being readily available online now, I check my credit card accounts periodically and no longer do the reconciliation. 2017 is one of the very few years that I might itemize deductions and purchased a new vehicle that gives me an additional $2,700 state and local sales tax deduction so that I might be able to take advantage and itemize deductions this year only. Without a mortgage interest deduction I don't normally come anywhere near the $15K+ standard deduction for an elderly couple. Rather than itemizing charitable contributions we elect to go the route of qualified charitable distributions which is much more beneficial from a federal tax point of view as we save 25% tax on the amount of our QCDs (i.e., the QCD amount is not taxable income).

So yes, I take and keep my credit card receipts for a certain period of time dependent on the federal tax situation we are in for a particular year.
Tom D.
margered

Post by margered »

I have heard that the most common printouts of credit card receipts can not be recycled due to chemical content. So, save them if you need them, but when you dump them, put them into the trash and not recycle bin.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I cross-cut shred my receipts before disposing of them, but are not aware of the matter that they cannot be recycled. Will check with my Metro Nashville recycle center.
Tom D.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Swansea wrote:I always take them to reconcile the monthly statement.
me too. Been doing it from day 1, too set in my ways to change now.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I always take all CC receipts. Even if it's for just one dollar, I still take the receipt. I hold them all till the statement comes and then reconcile them. I then burn my receipts. Before instituting this policy I always had the vague feeling someone was ripping me off. Now I have peace of mind. I once found that a waitress either accidentally or on purpose increased her tip. I never went back to complain, I just never went back.
High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent »

I never take them. I figure I'm saving a tree or something by not carrying a slip of paper for a few hours to days and then putting it in the trash.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Usually. Never know when I'll need to return something. I also save receipts I'll want to itemize later in Quicken to more accurately track expenses.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I always take the receipts for two reasons.

1. I enter the amounts in an Excel expense workbook. I started this workbook several years before I retired to get an idea of what my expenses might be in retirement. I retired three years ago, but I have kept the workbook going.

2. I scan the receipts in a credit card folder and match them to my monthly statement when it comes in and then destroy then. I also scan the receipts to my tax return folder if I need to document the purpose for tax deduction purposes. I destroy the credit card scanned receipt, assuming it matches my credit card statement, but I keep the tax return scanned receipt. This sounds complicated. It really isn't, though, and it works for me.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

High Income Parent wrote:I never take them. I figure I'm saving a tree or something by not carrying a slip of paper for a few hours to days and then putting it in the trash.
How are you wasting a tree, if you shred and recycle the receipt?
Gordon
High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent »

gkaplan wrote:
High Income Parent wrote:I never take them. I figure I'm saving a tree or something by not carrying a slip of paper for a few hours to days and then putting it in the trash.
How are you wasting a tree, if you shred and recycle the receipt?
Good point but I just cut out the middleman. I guess I'm depriving paper mill workers and recycling center workers of jobs though.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis
CABob

Post by CABob »

nordsteve wrote:I take them, and keep them for a couple days. My theory is that errors in tip entry are less likely to occur when you take the receipt.
But don't they print your receipt before the tip and signature is put on their copy? That has been my experience so I don't see that taking the receipt would change the situation.
Bob
J295

Post by J295 »

Never.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

CABob wrote:
nordsteve wrote:I take them, and keep them for a couple days. My theory is that errors in tip entry are less likely to occur when you take the receipt.
But don't they print your receipt before the tip and signature is put on their copy? That has been my experience so I don't see that taking the receipt would change the situation.
I do the same. The waiter might be more likely that I am reviewing every receipt. So I take restaurant receipts, but I don't actually keep them; I toss them in the trash. I do review my statements on a regular basis, and I get emails and/or text messages for virtually every credit card charge.

I used to enter every receipt into Quicken reconciliation. It was a huge waste of my time and the only fraudulent charges I ever found I would have noticed anyway ("Honey, did you order a bridal dress from a store in Texas? How about $200 worth of stuff from Sephora?").
denovo

Post by denovo »

fareastwarriors wrote:Only for places with tipping. Found errors on those receipts all the time.
I've found an interesting way to deal with that. I tip using an algorithm, so if I scan the credit card bill I can figure out if there is any mickey mouse.

So if I decide my total bill will be around 23 dollars. I add 2+3= and make it $23.05, $51 would be 5+1= $51.06, granted some numbers will repeat, but it will detect most fraud I guess.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Always take them, enter into my Money software, and compare with the online credit card records, usually daily.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
annielouise

Post by annielouise »

I take them, enter in my excel-based budget, refer back to them if statements don't agree with my spreadsheet, then keep for about 6 months (I shred the oldest month in my receipt clutch when it gets too thick to fit in my drawer). For large purchases, I put the receipt with the manual.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

In two cases:
1) For large items - staple to the front of the manual.
2) For items that increase my home-value - in case laws change about home-cost-basis or my home does increase substantially in value
My spouse:
- Almost always. But mainly because she is somewhat of a returnaholic. Will buy something and then decide it isn't quite the right thing when she gets home. Although most retailers these days can simply look up your purchase using the credit-card you used without the receipt.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Jelloanddon wrote:Am I missing something by not taking them with me or having the clerk print them out?
Probably not. If you have an objection it is the merchant who has to prove the charge else it is removed from your account.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I take credit card receipts if:

1. It has a tip line on it
2. It's for a major purchase
3. It has a coupon or other sort of promotional discount on it.

Otherwise I don't bother. I do check my credit cards every few days just to make sure there isn't a fraudulent charge or something.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

see lots of comments about errors and tipping on receipts.

Now, is this when you leave the tip on the actual receipt? (and pay for the tip using the credit card?)

or when you pay using a credit card but pay a cash tip. (I do this more frequently)

Assuming the former but thought I'd ask.

I had the big receipt pile so I tend to not take receipts anymore, though the tipping posts above are worth noting.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

F150HD wrote:see lots of comments about errors and tipping on receipts.

Now, is this when you leave the tip on the actual receipt? (and pay for the tip using the credit card?)

or when you pay using a credit card but pay a cash tip. (I do this more frequently)

Assuming the former but thought I'd ask.

I had the big receipt pile so I tend to not take receipts anymore, though the tipping posts above are worth noting.
For me it's when I use a credit card to pay for the tip. I rarely carry cash anymore, so I use a credit card to pay for everything.
KATNYC

Post by KATNYC »

Nicolas wrote:I always take all CC receipts. Even if it's for just one dollar, I still take the receipt. I hold them all till the statement comes and then reconcile them. I then burn my receipts. Before instituting this policy I always had the vague feeling someone was ripping me off. Now I have peace of mind. I once found that a waitress either accidentally or on purpose increased her tip. I never went back to complain, I just never went back.
This happened to us recently, a tip was added to the credit card receipt although an 18% tip was left in cash.
We never went back but didn't complain since the group we were with asked us not to complain, it's their go to restaurant.

We do have all receipts for a recent home renovation. In fact, we have old receipts and photos from the prior renovation many years ago. We will keep the photos but it's probably time to throw out the old receipts.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

KATNYC wrote:This happened to us recently, a tip was added to the credit card receipt although an 18% tip was left in cash.
We never went back but didn't complain since the group we were with asked us not to complain, it's their go to restaurant.
This is one of the reasons why I use a credit card to pay for tips. You really can't "prove" you left a tip at the table, so I figure there is always the chance a tip might get added to your credit card.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Someone burns the receipts?
KATNYC

Post by KATNYC »

flamesabers wrote:
KATNYC wrote:This happened to us recently, a tip was added to the credit card receipt although an 18% tip was left in cash.
This is one of the reasons why I use a credit card to pay for tips. You really can't "prove" you left a tip at the table, so I figure there is always the chance a tip might get added to your credit card.
99% of the time I pay the tip in on the card for this same reason. For group outings, the consensus has been to leave tips in cash.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Nope, not unless there's potential that I may return and item or something like that.

I don't balance my books and I am borderline compulsive about how often I check my accounts online and I pay off my bills a couple times a week.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

I always take my receipts, then reconcile them with Quicken's downloaded transactions. Once I do that, I toss all of them except the ones for items with a warranty or that could be returned. I also keep receipts for home renovations, since those will add to the home's basis and, if/when we ever sell it, will lower our capital gains.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Yes, always. I check them against account statements and keep ones I might need later and shred the rest.

I also go over them carefully when making purchases, especially at restaurants or grocery stores or any time I am purchasing multiple items. I am surprised at how often something rings up incorrectly compared to the marked price or is scanned incorrectly by the cashier. The biggest problem I have at the grocery store is items that are mis-priced in the system, the second most frequent problem is that a single item hits the scanner twice, and the third most frequent problem is that the cashier will ring up similar items as multiples of the same item even though they have different prices.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I have a phone with a built-in camera. I just snap a picture of the original receipt, after all amounts have been calculated and it has been signed, then use the image to reconcile any discrepancies. I also round every transaction to the nearest dollar (where tipping is involved) so that any transaction not ending in .00 is immediately suspect. I've caught a couple cheaters this way...
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

We always take a receipt for everything. They go in a box below my desk and stay there for several months till the box (garbage can) is full then into the shedder. I several credit card but use one for just about everything and carry little cash. I pay the credit off every few days making sure online is correct.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I have seen people write "left tip on table" in the tip section of the charge slip and their copy when they do that.
Tom D.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

rgs92 wrote:Someone burns the receipts?
Yes, I do, but only because it's easier than shredding them. I just throw them into our wood-burning fireplace. We have frequent fires during the colder months, so it's just extra kindling for our fires. I would never just throw them away, too paranoid for that. I know only the last four digits of the CC number are present, but still.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

This.

I have had tips added in the past. Got an $8 lunch at a deli and when the credit card statement came in, a $16 tip was added. Capital One will actually flag this and send an email.

I always take the receipt, even if I just throw it away at home. The server at least sees that a copy is gone when he picks up the bill and cc slip.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

tomd37 wrote:I have seen people write "left tip on table" in the tip section of the charge slip and their copy when they do that.
I write "CASH" in the tip space.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Does taking the receipt make it easier or less easy for someone trying to steal your credit card info at the place of transaction or later if receipt is discarded?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't like to leave a paper trail.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Munir wrote:Does taking the receipt make it easier or less easy for someone trying to steal your credit card info at the place of transaction or later if receipt is discarded?
Receipts no longer print your credit-card numbers on them so I don't think it matters one way or the other.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

DaftInvestor wrote:
Munir wrote:Does taking the receipt make it easier or less easy for someone trying to steal your credit card info at the place of transaction or later if receipt is discarded?
Receipts no longer print your credit-card numbers on them so I don't think it matters one way or the other.
Don't they still print the last 4 or 5 digits of your credit card number on your receipt?