Which news source do you use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Which news source do you use?

Post by PlayingLife »

I'm debating picking up a WSJ or NYT subscription for the first time since I can't stand the biased and goofy reporting of CNN or Fox...I fall somewhere in between left wing and right wing, so I prefer a news source that doesn't lean fully one way or the other. I also don't need to see the Kardashians on the front page. Recommendations? Relying on the free BBC site in the meantime....
westie

Re: Which news source do you use?

Post by westie »

PlayingLife wrote:I'm debating picking up a WSJ or NYT subscription for the first time since I can't stand the biased and goofy reporting of CNN or Fox...I fall somewhere in between left wing and right wing, so I prefer a news source that doesn't lean fully one way or the other. I also don't need to see the Kardashians on the front page. Recommendations? Relying on the free BBC site in the meantime....
That may be hard to do. I would rule out any newspaper that endorses candidates if I were looking to reduce the perception of bias.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Wopular.com
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I use all of them and do not subscribe to any of them. Certainly the WSJ and NYT have their biases, too.

WSJ, NY, WaPo, LATimes, GoogleNews (OK, it has links to other news sources), Reuters, BBC, NPR, PBS, local rags, CNN, many foreign news outlets,..., anything and everything. It is really funny to see the same news (perhaps a press release) splattered up by journalists in different ways.

I know some journalists and I have to chuckle at how they make their living because they really need to draw eyeballs or they don't get paid nor keep their jobs.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Google News :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
psystal

Post by psystal »

The NYT is a good source for staying abreast of major headlines, and they still do some very high quality investigative reporting. The WSJ still has a superb business section, but since adopting the Boglehead philosophy I don't have nearly as much interest in those articles. WSJ's regular news reporting definitely lags behind the NYT.

Supplement that by tuning into NPR and browsing the BBC website, and you'll be reasonably well informed without having to wade through the deluge of opinion pieces. NPR does incredible in-depth reporting on special interest pieces that aren't (yet) part of the major news cycle, and the BBC offers reporting on international issues that is light years ahead of any US source.
JDot

Post by JDot »

I have an XM radio subscription that I use 90% for BBC. Other than that it's NPR on the radio mostly.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

My local midwest newspaper, NBC Nightly News and Google are my sources for news information. I also like listening to NPR news when in the car even if it slants toward the left.
saurabh

Post by saurabh »

PlayingLife wrote:I'm debating picking up a WSJ or NYT subscription for the first time since I can't stand the biased and goofy reporting of CNN or Fox...I fall somewhere in between left wing and right wing, so I prefer a news source that doesn't lean fully one way or the other. I also don't need to see the Kardashians on the front page. Recommendations? Relying on the free BBC site in the meantime....
Start using Google News. You can customize it to specify your interests. It will sift through all the newspaper and magazine websites out there and show you the most relevant articles on any trending subject.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

What livesoft said.

Since all the news sources are biased one way or another, you have to review them all and perform some mental distillation. Very good for sharpening your critical thinking skills.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I favor the New York Times over the Wall Street Journal. While the NYT has been known to make mistakes (such as its Iraq/WMD reporting) they do strive to be accurate.

These days the internet makes it easy to access supplementary reporting with other viewpoints. A thoughtful person can become knowledgeable about the range of opinion on particular issues AND gain a sense of which reporting is more fact-based.

The Economist is easily available and makes it possible to get a less US-oriented viewpoint. Maybe there are some English-language papers from Asia that can provide a similar view from Asia (maybe try Hong Kong papers?).
billyo44

Post by billyo44 »

What about Investors Business Daily - any opinions/experiences with it? I have subscribed off-and-on for a long time but am seriously considering dropping my e-subscription as their investment philosophy is in sharp contrast to the Bogleheads approach (which is the only way to go)! Not to mention the endless marketing pop-ups/links/advertising for all of those so-called Investment Gurus.

Any thoughts fellow Bogelheads?
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Daily hometown paper especially for local happenings, political and sports
Daily Indianapolis Star paper for state and sports news, especially professional sports.
Daily USA Today
On line from a number of sources
TV news..most often local CBS affiliate, national NBC and PBS
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
whonoze

Post by whonoze »

Agree with much in the other posts. I find HuffPost too full of clickbait, MSNBC and Fox too much preaching to their choirs.
I like fivethirtyeight.com for their political coverage. They also have interesting sports coverage. AlJazeera.com actually has (IMO) the most unbiased coverage and some pretty good interviews. NPR's interviews (especially Terry Gross) often give good insight to current events.
Just my two cents | Worth about what two cents can buy nowadays
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

I'm a google news user...will slowly "learn" what you care about.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I start each day looking a local newspaper, then national newspapers, and even international newspapers. If a newsworthy event is happing somewhere, I will go to a local newspaper to get more information on that event. Just like one's portfolio, diversify.
Best Wishes, | Joe
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.stratfor.com/stratfor_home

OP,

I have a paid subscription to this news service. I only read sport section of local newspaper.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

knpstr wrote:I'm a google news user...will slowly "learn" what you care about.
Hmmm. That's interesting.

Would this eventually lead to a sort of AI version of confirmation bias?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

You don't mention whether you prefer print or online. Assuming online, and not addressing the slant of either, I subscribe to both the WSJ and NYT in print versions that include online access. The WSJ online interface is OK on a PC, poor/terrible on a tablet or phone. I much prefer the print version and would not use the online access except its free for me.

The NYT does a much better job with their interfaces. You have two options on a PC: their website and a browser app. The browser app works very well for me, but doesn't always include everything at their website. The tablet app is good and similar to the browser app. It's set up more like a print version. Sections with headline ledes on the left, actual story on the right. Both scroll. I enjoy both print and online NYT but would switch to just online except DW refuses to give up her print version with the crossword (extra cost for online).

I also use Google News, specifically for keyworded daily emails for certain topics, e.g., my town name. Plus daily emails from my local paper, provided free w/o a subscription, where I can scan the headline for local top stories.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

NPR and Reddit.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

ResearchMed wrote:
knpstr wrote:I'm a google news user...will slowly "learn" what you care about.
Hmmm. That's interesting.

Would this eventually lead to a sort of AI version of confirmation bias?

RM
That kindof creeps me out.

And it would seem to make you less likely to be educated about things that google determines are not in your wheelhouse.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

Dulocracy wrote: That kindof creeps me out.

And it would seem to make you less likely to be educated about things that google determines are not in your wheelhouse.
You tell Google what your wheelhouse is.
And any news source is "filtering" content to some extent whether you know it or not.

And you don't have to utilize the "personalized" news page. It will just weed out the Kardashians for you if you told it you don't want to see it.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Generally just persuse my local rag for "news". After that I might pick a few tidbits out of realclearpolitics.com or some such aggregator. The problem of information overload is one I try to avoid and being the the so-called news "informed" person no longer interests me. If I can't meaningfully act on it in some way( and that's a rarity ) then it's value to me is minimal to negative. Most of what passes for newz is just depressing anyway. :( YMMV
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

billyo44 wrote:What about Investors Business Daily - any opinions/experiences with it? I have subscribed off-and-on for a long time but am seriously considering dropping my e-subscription as their investment philosophy is in sharp contrast to the Bogleheads approach (which is the only way to go)! Not to mention the endless marketing pop-ups/links/advertising for all of those so-called Investment Gurus.

Any thoughts fellow Bogelheads?
I read the weekend paper (which is really Monday's paper) and occasionally pick up a weekday paper.
I don't pay much attention to section B (I am not a chart reader), but I do like to read the front section.
I have in the past, picked up on a few newer companies in the New America articles.
I don't subscribe anymore.
The paper does go against BH philosophy, but that doesn't bother me.
I am considering cancelling my WSJ sub. The weekend edition has kinda gone down the tubes
compared to what it used to be.
Plenty to read here and on the internet.
Don
Last edited by bondsr4me on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

NY Times & local paper delivered to our door. access Times web site for updates
follow the links posted on BH, get Daily Beast, Reuters and BBC online newsletters
never watch cable or network news (not since Cronkite left the air)
was a big NPR fan when in the car during the work week
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Fallible

Re: Which news source do you

Post by Fallible »

Of the two papers, I like the NYT for news overall, then the WSJ for personal finance and investing, but also check other news sources throughtout the day. I was a news journalist for many years and when I retired, thought I'd enjoy no longer having to read so many different sources of news every day; instead, I enjoy reading more than ever, but on my own deadlines. :)

As for bias mentioned here, it's not just in what we read, but in why and how we read it because we all have biases. That's why it is so important to maintain a healthy skepticism; not cynicism, but a questioning skepticism about anything we read or hear, or even think or say.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

New York Times. I also like the PBS NewsHour.
rebenzer

Post by rebenzer »

NYT International on Kindle.

Pete
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> I'm a google news user...will slowly "learn" what you care about.

This sounds very dangerous to me- maybe it will learn what you want to hear also.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

The Economist is the only one I pay for or read with any consistency. BBC news web site is also decent. The local newspapers (SJ Mercury News, SF Chronicle/SFGate) are a joke, even compared with five years ago. I don't watch TV news at all. I listen to NPR occasionally. Aside from that, just random internet news links that I stumble across. In general, I pay much less attention to the news than I did 10-20 years ago. Not sure if that is due to the decline in quality of news sources or my own waning attention span, probably both.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I think it is really hard to find one that does not have bias.
Even with bias, if they do a good job of separating news and opinion articles; I am all up for it. Most of the time I find either news are biased. The better ones have unbiased news but "forget" to mention history or relative facts which are important to understand current context.

I enjoy Economist, BBC and WSJ.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

heartwood wrote:
You don't mention whether you prefer print or online. Assuming online, and not addressing the slant of either, I subscribe to both the WSJ and NYT in print versions that include online access. The WSJ online interface is OK on a PC, poor/terrible on a tablet or phone. I much prefer the print version and would not use the online access except its free for me.

The NYT does a much better job with their interfaces. You have two options on a PC: their website and a browser app. The browser app works very well for me, but doesn't always include everything at their website. The tablet app is good and similar to the browser app. It's set up more like a print version. Sections with headline ledes on the left, actual story on the right. Both scroll. I enjoy both print and online NYT but would switch to just online except DW refuses to give up her print version with the crossword (extra cost for online).

I also use Google News, specifically for keyworded daily emails for certain topics, e.g., my town name. Plus daily emails from my local paper, provided free w/o a subscription, where I can scan the headline for local top stories.

I access news via my macbook (laptop).....this whole thread was started because I see it's $87 right now for six month access to WSJ with online access. The print papers are nice to have, but I think far more would go to waste and it wouldn't be "sustainable" of me to rely on.
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

Wow....was not expecting such a large response! Thanks for all the comments....I like the idea of having the NYT as a daily "go to", but do agree that accessing numerous news sources is the best way to get a general view on something. I used to also seek out more international sources to escape the US-only viewpoint, but time is just limited these days. Thanks for all the tips and links, lots to consider here!
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Smart News is a great news app for smartphones or tablets. Lots of sources all in one place and well organized into categories.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

If you are seeking the truth in newspapers, you will be disappointed. Print journalism has also become largely drive by biases. This would be fine if it were just limited to their editorial pages. However, the bias flows from the publishers to the editors to the journalists. They suffer from groupthink and are incapable of seeing their own biases. It isn't just the content that is affected, but the selection of what stories to cover and what not to cover.
Last edited by Spirit Rider on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

With reference to some earlier posts, political opinions regarding news sources are off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Economist.
NPR.
Google news and other web sources when I am particularly interested in a developing story.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
mouses

Post by mouses »

psystal wrote:The NYT is a good source for staying abreast of major headlines, and they still do some very high quality investigative reporting.
The reason I pay for a subscription to the Times is their superb investigative reporting. No other news source does anything like that, as far as I know.

We are lucky to have two fine local weekly newspapers in my area.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

James Fallows, of The Atlantic, recently had a series of blog posts titled, "Why I get more than one newspaper." He compared the stories and headlines from the NY Times, Washington Post, & Wall Street Journal. The stories, in most cases, were similar. The headlines in the Wall Street Journal were not.

Here's the most recent comparison. It has links to four previous comparisons.
http://americanreviewmag.com/blogs/Why- ... ad-edition
pondering

Post by pondering »

Http://newsmap.jp

Is a really nice presentation of Google news
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

NPR and The Washington Post. NPR because it's the only radio station that works in my car, and the Washington Post because it's always in the lunchroom at work.
rob

Post by rob »

Al Jazeera America has some great real stories past the regular blah blah (just avoid the news piece and grab one of the in depth shows).... but get it quick since they are killing it in a few months :(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
saurabh

Post by saurabh »

Jeff Albertson wrote:James Fallows, of The Atlantic, recently had a series of blog posts titled, "Why I get more than one newspaper." He compared the stories and headlines from the NY Times, Washington Post, & Wall Street Journal. The stories, in most cases, were similar. The headlines in the Wall Street Journal were not.

I am an Atlantic subscriber. I like James Fallows as a writer a lot. However I would not take this particular comment seriously. James is an out and out liberal (nothing wrong with that) and his bias against Murdoch and WSJ shows quite transparently. I remember when in the tenure of the prior President post 9/11 a "good" jobs number was 200-300K jobs. I think the headline in the WSJ was accurate as written, 148K jobs is nothing to celebrate more than a decade later with population growth since that period.
saurabh

Post by saurabh »

mouses wrote:
psystal wrote:The NYT is a good source for staying abreast of major headlines, and they still do some very high quality investigative reporting.
The reason I pay for a subscription to the Times is their superb investigative reporting. No other news source does anything like that, as far as I know.

I used to be impressed by NYT investigative reporting but then I realized a lot of it is just using public sources and data and then writing about it in a way that overstates the actual legwork done. They will occasionally take on the large scale project that impresses, but that is few and far between.
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

Bloomberg, Breitbart, Drudge, Onion
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon
mouses

Post by mouses »

saurabh wrote:
mouses wrote:

I used to be impressed by NYT investigative reporting but then I realized a lot of it is just using public sources and data and then writing about it in a way that overstates the actual legwork done. They will occasionally take on the large scale project that impresses, but that is few and far between.
Here's a nytimes investigative report from today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/us/dr ... ments.html

Truly hair-raising, to me at least. Widespread medication shortages, doctors and hospitals quietly rationing meds, including meds for cancer or other life threatening diseases, or not giving them at all to patients who need them and often not telling the patients.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

saurabh wrote:
Jeff Albertson wrote:James Fallows, of The Atlantic, recently had a series of blog posts titled, "Why I get more than one newspaper." He compared the stories and headlines from the NY Times, Washington Post, & Wall Street Journal. The stories, in most cases, were similar. The headlines in the Wall Street Journal were not.

I am an Atlantic subscriber. I like James Fallows as a writer a lot. However I would not take this particular comment seriously. James is an out and out liberal (nothing wrong with that) and his bias against Murdoch and WSJ shows quite transparently. I remember when in the tenure of the prior President post 9/11 a "good" jobs number was 200-300K jobs. I think the headline in the WSJ was accurate as written, 148K jobs is nothing to celebrate more than a decade later with population growth since that period.
saurabh, I believe that you "nailed" it!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Drudge, instapundit, freerepublic, yahoonews. They are all news site aggregators, so it is a very broad array of first line sources. Also, WSJ and businessinsider.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

I find the BBC news channel more pleasant. They are much less dramatic than their American counterparts, and they speak rather softly, which is nice.