12 foot step laddder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
J295

12 foot step laddder

Post by J295 »

We have some interior windows that are near the top of our 17' entry. I'm thinking a 12' step ladder is the best way to access them.

Can anyone recommend a good 12' ladder? (Of course I've looked online but thought I'd reach out to this group too).

Thanks!
hicabob

Re: 12 foot step laddder

Post by hicabob »

J295 wrote:We have some interior windows that are near the top of our 17' entry. I'm thinking a 12' step ladder is the best way to access them.

Can anyone recommend a good 12' ladder? (Of course I've looked online but thought I'd reach out to this group too).

Thanks!

Maybe a 14 footer? You don't want to be standing on the top rung. Fiberglass is better and what the pros use, aluminum is fine for occasional use if you are not a heavyweight and a lot cheaper and lighter.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

I'm of the opinion that you should pay someone else with the proper equipment to 'access them' for whatever reason.

If you have a 17 foot entryway, you should be able to afford it.

The ER, doctors, hospitals and funeral home tend to be expensive.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

y Swampy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 am
I'm of the opinion that you should pay someone else with the proper equipment to 'access them' for whatever reason.

If you have a 17 foot entryway, you should be able to afford it.

The ER, doctors, hospitals and funeral home tend to be expensive.
Swampy .... excellent point and that is generally the advice I'd give someone else .... it's not about the cost to hire someone, it's about enjoying doing some projects .... having said that it doesn't take much reflection for me to find some less dangerous projects around the house ..... so, good reminder for me .....
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

I have two Werner Telescoping ladders, a 13ft, and a 26ft, the way they collapse make them really easy to store, carry up and down stairs, or load them into the trunk of my car.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... -287-MT-26
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Think first about how big the ladder is in it's closed position, and if/how to angle that into the house and up. My house is much smaller, but no way could I get my 24 foot extension ladder in through the door without hitting a wall.
krannerd

Post by krannerd »

runner9 wrote:Think first about how big the ladder is in it's closed position, and if/how to angle that into the house and up. My house is much smaller, but no way could I get my 24 foot extension ladder in through the door without hitting a wall.
This! I have an 8' step and it is a pain...bouncing off of ceilings and hard to navigate through doors.

The collapseable ones sound like a good idea.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I went a different approach with my high windows. Rather than buying an expensive ladder that takes up a lot of space and doesn't get much use, I bought a telescoping pole with thread on window cleaning attachments so I can clean windows from the safety of the floor. When not in use, it hangs in the broom closet.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I believe the big box hardware stores rent this type of equipment, or you could always borrow one from a friendly neighbor. I borrowed my neighbor's 20 ft. ladder last weekend to replace the floodlights on the eaves of my house. As you mentioned, it is nice to do something yourself. I would have felt a little silly paying a contractor to change light bulbs.
Topic Author
J295

Post by J295 »

Thanks for all the responses. Enjoy the weekend!
Enphuego

Post by Enphuego »

I have the Little Giant ladder, I found it on sale for much less than list price at Home Depot. They are really steady, can be used like a traditional stepladder or converted into an extension ladder. The blessing and the curse is that they are heavy (around $30 lbs) which keeps them steady but can make it difficult to haul around. The small one extends to about 11'.

We used to use them extensively in the Air Force and they are really high quality and so when I saw one on sale for cheap I jumped on the chance. Just keep your fingers out of the hinge and locking areas when you are collapsing or extending it or you'll pinch your fingers. Once you get used to keeping your hands out of the moving parts, it's really simple to avoid it.

Post by 123 »

lthenderson wrote:I went a different approach with my high windows. Rather than buying an expensive ladder that takes up a lot of space and doesn't get much use, I bought a telescoping pole with thread on window cleaning attachments so I can clean windows from the safety of the floor. When not in use, it hangs in the broom closet.
I have to agree with lthenderson. I use a telescoping pole as well for washing 2nd story windows from outside. I think it would work just as well from inside if you're going after high windows, the inside tends to get less dirty so you could use a less aggressive cleaning method.
There are attachments available to change bulbs etc. Of course if you've got to do something like work on a drapery rod up high a ladder or scaffold is the only practical method.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Werner ladders at Home Depot or Lowes are good.
I would only buy fiberglass, but i also do a lot of electrical work.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Before you buy a long ladder, realize how heavy it will be, and if you will be able to carry it around and set it up by yourself. I have such a monster extension aluminum ladder hanging on the wall of my garage, and I have an occasional back problem, so it hangs there.