Annoying problem with Lollipop (new Android 5.1 OS)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Browser

Annoying problem with Lollipop (new Android 5.1 OS)

Post by Browser »

Perhaps there are some smartphone gurus who can clue me about an odd problem I'm having with my smartphone since I installed the 5.1 Android update. I turn off my phone each night, and for the third day in a row when I turn the phone on it spends 15 minutes going through the "optimizing apps" process. When I installed the update it goes through this process then, but I have no clue why it seems to be doing it every time I start up the phone. Obviously, this is pretty annoying and inconvenient since I can't use the phone until it finishes. What's going on here? Can it be fixed or, if not, can I uninstall Lollipop?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
nordlead

Re: Annoying problem with Lollipop (new Android 5.1 OS)

Post by nordlead »

the easy solution is stop turning off your phone. I only reset my phone if it is acting up (for example, an app is getting stuck and draining the battery).

Outside of that, I'm would suggest booting into recovery and clearing the cache. If that doesn't work, the next step would be clearing the cache and doing a factory reset.

After that, it looks like something is wrong with the factory image, and you'd probably have to roll back to 4.4 and then re-image to 5.1. I've seen a few threads where factory reset + cache wipe doesn't do the trick and some people sent their phones in for replacement units (refurbished).

Which phone do you own? If it is a Nexus phone, you can easily install whatever you want. If it is a Verizon phone you are probably out of luck. AT&T, Sprint, and T-mobile you are more likely to be able to unlock it and install a different OS.
midareff

Post by midareff »

While it's not a true software solution why not stop turning it off. Set to only allow calls from contacts from x PM to y AM so you aren't disturbed.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

nordlead wrote:the easy solution is stop turning off your phone. I only reset my phone if it is acting up (for example, an app is getting stuck and draining the battery).

Outside of that, I'm would suggest booting into recovery and clearing the cache. If that doesn't work, the next step would be clearing the cache and doing a factory reset.

After that, it looks like something is wrong with the factory image, and you'd probably have to roll back to 4.4 and then re-image to 5.1. I've seen a few threads where factory reset + cache wipe doesn't do the trick and some people sent their phones in for replacement units (refurbished).

Which phone do you own? If it is a Nexus phone, you can easily install whatever you want. If it is a Verizon phone you are probably out of luck. AT&T, Sprint, and T-mobile you are more likely to be able to unlock it and install a different OS.
I'm performing the cache clear now. Will see if that works. I have a Moto-X that is couple years old (the Google version). What is strange is that if I turn the phone off and then back on, it starts up OK. It is when I've had it off overnight that the problem recurs, so it will be hard to find out if the cache clear did the trick until I restart the phone tomorrow. I have no idea why this would be the case.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I have the same experience, but only if I turn off the phone, and not every time. I'm running Android 5.1.1 on a Nexus 5.

My guess is the optimization occurs overnight if the phone is on, but starts again if its been off.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I would vote for only restarting if you notice battery drain an app or wifi type issue. This doesn't solve the issue, but these devices really don't need to be shut down at night. I plug mine in when I go to bed and unplug when I get up.

The other day I noticed my wifi was not connecting. It just say "obtaining IP address". I restarted and it came right back online.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

I don't understand why the optimization process would have to repeatedly rerun, overnight or otherwise. The previous update I installed went through the process only once during installation. I always turn the phone off overnight to save battery life, since I don't need to have it on.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Browser wrote:I don't understand why the optimization process would have to repeatedly rerun, overnight or otherwise. The previous update I installed went through the process only once during installation. I always turn the phone off overnight to save battery life, since I don't need to have it on.
The optimization process should only happen either when you upgrade your phone or you install the app (it'll optimize during the install process and just not tell you).

That is because the way these programs work is they are written and compiled into an intermediate language and put on the Play Store. When the program is installed on your device it is then compiled into the final object optimized for your device. This allows the programs to be written once, but run on different architectures.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

nordlead wrote:
Browser wrote:I don't understand why the optimization process would have to repeatedly rerun, overnight or otherwise. The previous update I installed went through the process only once during installation. I always turn the phone off overnight to save battery life, since I don't need to have it on.
The optimization process should only happen either when you upgrade your phone or you install the app (it'll optimize during the install process and just not tell you).

That is because the way these programs work is they are written and compiled into an intermediate language and put on the Play Store. When the program is installed on your device it is then compiled into the final object optimized for your device. This allows the programs to be written once, but run on different architectures.
That's what I thought. So why does it repeatedly run each time I start the danged phone, and only when the phone has been off overnight?
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Something is probably corrupted. Hopefully a cache wipe or a factory reset will fix it.

At least with the MotoX you should be able to re-install android 5.1 if it comes down to it. It is a little complicated, but there are tools that make it fairly foolproof.

EDIT: before you do a factory reset, you may want to do a backup, but that is up to you. Everything I have on my phone (that I care about) is synced with either my google account or some other online account, so I rarely do a whole backup to my PC.
Last edited by nordlead on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pochax

Post by pochax »

does your phone use a microSD card and do you have apps on it? i have this issue with my Nvidia Shield tablet and i read online that it is because it needs to optimize any apps on the SDcard.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

pochax wrote:does your phone use a microSD card and do you have apps on it? i have this issue with my Nvidia Shield tablet and i read online that it is because it needs to optimize any apps on the SDcard.
Moto X (1st and 2nd gen, and any device by Google really) doesn't support SD cards.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

nordlead wrote:Something is probably corrupted. Hopefully a cache wipe or a factory reset will fix it.

At least with the MotoX you should be able to re-install android 5.1 if it comes down to it. It is a little complicated, but there are tools that make it fairly foolproof.
I may need more detailed instructions from you if it turns out the cache wipe doesn't fix the problem. Don't really want to go through the factory reset process. Hope you won't mind giving me a steer. I have completed the cache wipe successfully, and of course everything is OK when I turn the phone off and then back on. I won't know for sure until I have it off overnight again.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I would back up your data and do a factory reset. Lots of things changed under the hood from Android 4.x to 5.x. I have done this a few times to fix performance issues.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Browser I have the same set up. A first generation Moto X (Developer Edition) and a few day old Lollipop install. I don't turn the phone off at night and that is obviously the easy solution for you. Regardless, I will try and remember to turn it off and will report back if I have the same issue as you.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

matjen wrote:Browser I have the same set up. A first generation Moto X (Developer Edition) and a few day old Lollipop install. I don't turn the phone off at night and that is obviously the easy solution for you. Regardless, I will try and remember to turn it off and will report back if I have the same issue as you.
I use a Google Voice number and have it ring both my VOIP home phone and smartphone. Thus no need to have the smartphone on when I'm at home. I usually do during the days, but turn it off at night just to extend the battery charge a bit.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Try the xda-developers forum for expert advice.
cricket49

Post by cricket49 »

I had problems with my phone after installing lollipop. The battery was being drained at a fast rate. I got online and read post after post that this is a known issue with lollipop download.

Factory reset was the recommended resolution. I did not want to do this because I would have to backup everything and reinstall it back to the phone. Also, this did not correct the problem with some users phone.

I removed the battery while the phone was on. Let it out for about 30 minutes, reinstalled it and no longer had an app drain.

Many times when I've had issues with my laptop computer and rebooting does not work, I remove the battery for 30 minutes and reinstall it. A computer guy told me years ago about this trick.
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

cricket49 wrote:I had problems with my phone after installing lollipop. The battery was being drained at a fast rate. I got online and read post after post that this is a known issue with lollipop download.

Factory reset was the recommended resolution. I did not want to do this because I would have to backup everything and reinstall it back to the phone. Also, this did not correct the problem with some users phone.

I removed the battery while the phone was on. Let it out for about 30 minutes, reinstalled it and no longer had an app drain.

Many times when I've had issues with my laptop computer and rebooting does not work, I remove the battery for 30 minutes and reinstall it. A computer guy told me years ago about this trick.
Unfortunately, I have a non-removable battery or I'd try this.
pochax

Post by pochax »

i have a moto X (2014) pure edition and have not yet received the update for 5.1. when did you get the update?
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

pochax wrote:i have a moto X (2014) pure edition and have not yet received the update for 5.1. when did you get the update?
Just about 5 days ago. I downloaded and installed the update on Monday and I've had the "optimizing apps" glitch on every one of the 3 days since when I fire up my phone in the morning.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

I have a late model Nexus 5 that I bought right before Google removed it from the Google Play store in Oct. 2014. I have already installed Android 5.1.1 which was supposed to fix the 5.1 problems. It's possible that the OTA (Over the Air) update has not been pushed to your phone or maybe it's too old. I went from 5.0.1 to 5.1 (for a couple weeks) and promptly upgraded to 5.1.1 since I read about lots of issues. I leave my phone on airplane at night and rarely turn it off.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Hiker-Biker wrote:I have a late model Nexus 5 that I bought right before Google removed it from the Google Play store in Oct. 2014. I have already installed Android 5.1.1 which was supposed to fix the 5.1 problems. It's possible that the OTA (Over the Air) update has not been pushed to your phone or maybe it's too old. I went from 5.0.1 to 5.1 (for a couple weeks) and promptly upgraded to 5.1.1 since I read about lots of issues. I leave my phone on airplane at night and rarely turn it off.
My phone says it has 5.1 installed. How can I get 5.1.1? As far as I know it's not available, since System Updates says my OS is up to date.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Lollipop update info for various phones.

https://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0- ... pdate-news
matjen

Post by matjen »

Browser,

My 2013 Moto X started up just fine this morning. I left it off all night. I will say the boot process does seem a bit slower than with Kit Kat but it did start up with no application optimization stage like when I first did the upgrade. My one glitch (in general with the upgrade) is that the actual Motorola Moto app seems to hang from time to time. Other than that everything is perfect. You must have some sort of corruption issue. Factory reset seems like a prudent move.

Hope that helps.

Matjen
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

matjen wrote:Browser,

My 2013 Moto X started up just fine this morning. I left it off all night. I will say the boot process does seem a bit slower than with Kit Kat but it did start up with no application optimization stage like when I first did the upgrade. My one glitch (in general with the upgrade) is that the actual Motorola Moto app seems to hang from time to time. Other than that everything is perfect. You must have some sort of corruption issue. Factory reset seems like a prudent move.

Hope that helps.

Matjen
Thanks for the update. I restarted my phone this morning and the problem is still there. I cleared the cache yesterday but didn't cure it. Since I'm no expert, what are the steps to doing a factory reset and backing up? Will I then have to download and install 5.1 again? I'm afraid the problem might still be there after I do all this.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Browser wrote: Thanks for the update. I restarted my phone this morning and the problem is still there. I cleared the cache yesterday but didn't cure it. Since I'm no expert, what are the steps to doing a factory reset and backing up? Will I then have to download and install 5.1 again? I'm afraid the problem might still be there after I do all this.
Here is the info for your phone. Depending on what you are doing you will want to make sure any photos are backed up. If all you use is the basic google services than that is most likely already taken care of.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp ... ,6720,8696
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Browser wrote:Thanks for the update. I restarted my phone this morning and the problem is still there. I cleared the cache yesterday but didn't cure it. Since I'm no expert, what are the steps to doing a factory reset and backing up? Will I then have to download and install 5.1 again? I'm afraid the problem might still be there after I do all this.
Yes, there is a chance there is still a problem after a factory reset. The BEST way to possibly eliminate the problem is to re-image the phone, but that is more intensive.

Anyways, http://www.ghacks.net/2013/01/12/how-to ... hout-root/ is one way to backup. If all your content (photos, music, etc...) is already backed up (say with google drive or dropbox or something), then I'd just do a "Backup Apps" as it will be faster and take less space. Otherwise, do "Backup all without system apps".

To do a factory reset, do this (which is what you should have done for the cache wipe)- https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp ... ,6720,8696
and then the "external reset" section of this - https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp ... ,6720,8696

Do not boot the phone between steps.

Once the phone is reset, boot it up and let the apps optimize. You can then re-install your apps. I would then test and see if the problem is fixed. If it is, I would then go on to restoring app settings and data with the program you used for backup. If it doesn't work, and you really want to fix it, I'd move onto doing a fresh install, which there are toolkits specifically made for the Moto X that will make it easier.
bpp

Post by bpp »

Dumb question. How does one find out what version of Android one is running? I noticed my icons changed last week. Does that mean it upgraded?
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

bpp wrote:Dumb question. How does one find out what version of Android one is running? I noticed my icons changed last week. Does that mean it upgraded?
Go to Settings->About Phone->Android Version.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Interesting that the instructions on the Moto link are actually incorrect. It says to press the vol up button for 10-15 seconds and tap the Power key to initiate the recovery menu options. Actually, you have to press the power key and then tap the vol up key, as detailed here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03/17 ... ems-fixes/

You would think the motorola support site woud be correct, wouldn't you?
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Browser wrote:Interesting that the instructions on the Moto link are actually incorrect. It says to press the vol up button for 10-15 seconds and tap the Power key to initiate the recovery menu options. Actually, you have to press the power key and then tap the vol up key, as detailed here:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03/17 ... ems-fixes/

You would think the motorola support site woud be correct, wouldn't you?
haha. I honestly almost just told you to hit some combination of power and volume up/down until you got to the recovery screen, but figured the Motorola instructions would be more accurate :oops:
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

There is a "Backup and Reset" selection under "Settings" on the phone. Any reason not to use this to backup and reset the phone? Since the "Backup" is already selected, my interpretation is that I already have a backup that is saved to my google account. It appears that I can simply select Factory Reset on the Settings menu, then when that is completed I can restore my apps by simply adding that google account to the reset device. This seems quite simple. Described here:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582

Am I correct or am I missing something?
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I've had minimal luck with Google's app backup/restore. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you don't care about app settings, then there is no reason to back them up. On the other hand, Google's data backup/restore works great.

Also, I would do the factory reset as I describe, as you need to wipe the cache and then factory reset. You can't do this from inside Android.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

YMMV, but as I mentioned above, I'm running 5.1.1 on a Nexus 5. I sometimes, not always, have the optimization problem described above after the phone has been off overnight or the battery has died and I turn it on again, always (?) in the morning.

Factory resets are fine and may solve the problem, but I can say that the 5.1.1 OS is not a complete solution, at least for me. I can live with it rather than spending the time and perhaps risk in doing a reset or other work arounds.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

nordlead wrote:I've had minimal luck with Google's app backup/restore. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you don't care about app settings, then there is no reason to back them up. On the other hand, Google's data backup/restore works great.

Also, I would do the factory reset as I describe, as you need to wipe the cache and then factory reset. You can't do this from inside Android.
Well, I did go ahead and do the factory reset inside Android using the option under Settings. It wiped out all my apps and data, but apparently left 5.1 intact. Some of my installed apps didn't come back and I had to reinstall them. I also had to go to the Play Store and update just about all the apps which took an hour. I was assuming it would back down to the earlier version and then I could reinstall 5.1. So, I don't know if this will fix the problem or not. As usual I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Well, after running the factory reset and reinstalling all my apps, the first day the phone booted up without going through the optimizing apps routine for 20 minutes. But today it's back to doing the same thing again when I turn the phone on. I'd think twice about installing the 5.1 upgrade since it is apparently buggy. 5.1.1 isn't available for the Moto yet but hopefully if I get it, that will correct the problem -- but I'm not counting on it.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

I have a MotoG running 5.1 without similar problems. My guess from the symptoms is your phone has bad flash memory which makes it impossible to save the results of the code optimizing. Or you installed a "disk saver" app that continually deletes the code optimization cache.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

A google search reveals several threads in which users report the same kind of problem with Nexus phones. In that case, the problem seems to manifest as random reboots and each time the thing goes through the optimizing apps routine. What I don't get is that the Nexus and my Moto X 1st gen are both Google phones, and Android is a Google OS. You would kinda think they could get it right at least with their own dammed phones wouldn't you?
magellan

Post by magellan »

Browser wrote:What I don't get is that the Nexus and my Moto X 1st gen are both Google phones, and Android is a Google OS. You would kinda think they could get it right at least with their own dammed phones wouldn't you?
You'd think they would, but relatively speaking, your upgrade is a success story. I have a Oneplus One and Lollipop was automatically installed on my phone a couple of months ago. The first release was a mess. I experienced constant random reboots, along with intermittent loss of cell connectivity that required a reboot to fix. Fortunately, an update was released about 3-4 weeks later that seems to have fixed everything for me and now it's running smoothly. But there were a few weeks in between where my phone was practically unusable.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

magellan wrote:
Browser wrote:What I don't get is that the Nexus and my Moto X 1st gen are both Google phones, and Android is a Google OS. You would kinda think they could get it right at least with their own dammed phones wouldn't you?
You'd think they would, but relatively speaking, your upgrade is a success story. I have a Oneplus One and Lollipop was automatically installed on my phone a couple of months ago. The first release was a mess. I experienced constant random reboots, along with intermittent loss of cell connectivity that required a reboot to fix. Fortunately, an update was released about 3-4 weeks later that seems to have fixed everything for me and now it's running smoothly. But there were a few weeks in between where my phone was practically unusable.
You seem to be describing the problem that I've seen in several threads regarding the Nexus. I agree that what I have could be worse. Some consolation eh? I'm hoping for an Android fix but frankly I think I might be afraid to install it and make things even worse.
pochax

Post by pochax »

Browser wrote:
pochax wrote:i have a moto X (2014) pure edition and have not yet received the update for 5.1. when did you get the update?
Just about 5 days ago. I downloaded and installed the update on Monday and I've had the "optimizing apps" glitch on every one of the 3 days since when I fire up my phone in the morning.
Ok, just got my update installed last night (2014 Moto X). when i booted up this morning, it said "optimizing app 1 of 1", then booted as normal. i have ~40-50 apps installed on it so i don't seem to have the exact same issue as you.
bpp

Post by bpp »

nordlead wrote:
bpp wrote:Dumb question. How does one find out what version of Android one is running? I noticed my icons changed last week. Does that mean it upgraded?
Thanks, that works: 4.2.2

Dumb question part deux: How do I trigger an upgrade to Lollipop? I seem to have automatic updates set, but is something more active needed to upgrade to a new major version number?
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

bpp wrote:
nordlead wrote:
Thanks, that works: 4.2.2

Dumb question part deux: How do I trigger an upgrade to Lollipop? I seem to have automatic updates set, but is something more active needed to upgrade to a new major version number?
I received an alert on my phone that the update was available and I had to click through to initiate it. But if I were you, I'd think twice about going down that rabbit hole. Might want to wait awhile for 5.1.1 and avoid the headaches.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Well, consider yourself lucky Browser.

I upgraded lollipop about 2-3 weeks ago. After that, my wifi stopped working. I thought of it as a nuisance but was too busy to delve into it.

This weekend I put my phone into airplane mode for a couple days while I went hiking off grid (to keep the battery from draining). I'm hiking along when all of a sudden my phone makes this strange noise, I look down at it... And the dreaded words... "Optimizing... 1 of 13..." Gulp. This is not good.

About ten minutes later my phone boots up nice and shiny... Wiped clean. Every thing gone, including my photos and videos stored on my SD card... Everything but my contacts, strangest thing.

When I got back on grid I turned off airplane mode and nothing changed. Took it to the Verizon store and all the young lady could say was, "wow! I've heard of lollipop upgrades doing some funny things but this is the first factory reset I've seen!" Lot of good that does me.

Seems like the contacts were preserved... No one can say why.

SD card was wiped out but shouldn't have been... No one can say why.

And of course no one at Verizon can say why this happened in the first place.

Oh, and my wifi still doesn't work.

The only good news is that I had been automatically uploading my photos and videos until my wifi went out recently... So I didn't lose more than two weeks' worth of images. Still... Lost my son's first ever t-ball practice last week. :(
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

letsgobobby wrote:Well, consider yourself lucky Browser.

I upgraded lollipop about 2-3 weeks ago. After that, my wifi stopped working. I thought of it as a nuisance but was too busy to delve into it.

This weekend I put my phone into airplane mode for a couple days while I went hiking off grid (to keep the battery from draining). I'm hiking along when all of a sudden my phone makes this strange noise, I look down at it... And the dreaded words... "Optimizing... 1 of 13..." Gulp. This is not good.

About ten minutes later my phone boots up nice and shiny... Wiped clean. Every thing gone, including my photos and videos stored on my SD card... Everything but my contacts, strangest thing.

When I got back on grid I turned off airplane mode and nothing changed. Took it to the Verizon store and all the young lady could say was, "wow! I've heard of lollipop upgrades doing some funny things but this is the first factory reset I've seen!" Lot of good that does me.

Seems like the contacts were preserved... No one can say why.

SD card was wiped out but shouldn't have been... No one can say why.

And of course no one at Verizon can say why this happened in the first place.

Oh, and my wifi still doesn't work.

The only good news is that I had been automatically uploading my photos and videos until my wifi went out recently... So I didn't lose more than two weeks' worth of images. Still... Lost my son's first ever t-ball practice last week. :(
OMG! That is incredibly disturbing. I empathize greatly, but at the same time you're actually making me feel good about my situation. However, I live in fear that something worse might happen at any moment with this thing. What a mess this Android update is! A damned scandal actually. I wish we could put the word out there to save other poor souls from installing this mutant.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

After this experience, I can absolutely guarantee you that I'm going over to the dark side and getting an iPhone. Can you imagine the outcry if this happened with Apple? Right -- that's why it won't happen. Android has to work on too many different smartphone platforms and iOS only has to work on Apple's hardware. And Google can't even seem to get it right on their own hardware since Nexus and Moto are victims. Bye Bye Google -- nice knowing you.
magellan

Post by magellan »

Browser wrote:Can you imagine the outcry if this happened with Apple?
No need to imagine... Apple Pulls iOS 8.0.1 Update After Disastrous Rollout

Lollipop is looking like Android's 'Windows Vista' release. That's not as much of a condemnation as it may seem. While the Vista rollout was also a disaster, the architectural and GUI changes introduced in Vista, and finally perfected in Windows 7, were a resounding technological success.

As I understand it, Lollipop was also a huge upgrade. Apparently it includes big changes to Android's internals, particularly around security, and the introduction of the new material design GUI interface. That's not an excuse for this absolutely horrible rollout, but it helps to explain it.
drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 »

bpp wrote:Thanks, that works: 4.2.2

It should automatically happen, but updates are not made available at the same time across all models. And at some point manufacturers/carriers stop updating a certain model phone entirely.

What model phone do you have?

As far as Lollipop goes, no problems here with it.... I think it's a nice improvement over Kit Kat.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

Taken from the Moto X release notes for Android 5.1:
Your phone now uses the new Android Runtime to help optimize application performance. After upgrading to Lollipop, your applications will undergo a one-time optimization process.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!