Paying State taxes online

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mhalley

Paying State taxes online

Post by mhalley »

So I was going to pay my state taxes plus estimated taxes today, so I thought I would check out the online option. I usually send in the check with estimated tax voucher. SO I go online, and their is no option to say what the tax is for, ie, 2014 taxes, 2015 first quarter estimated taxes, etc. SO I chickened out and wrote out the checks manually to mail tomorrow. Does anyone else have experience with their state tax portal not having specifics? Should I just bite the bullet and pay online without any online designation of what the online check is for?
Mike
livesoft

Re: Paying State taxes online

Post by livesoft »

NY is pretty explicit about how to pay taxes online: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pay/all/make_a_pa ... ection.htm
And "online" is pretty funny because the easiest way is to fill out a form online that you then print and mail in with a check. They will take a credit card but there are extra fees for that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

My state website has menu selections for Individuals > Pay online, then drop down menus letting you select Tax Type "Individual Income Tax" and Payment Type "Estimated Payment". It seems redundant, compared to yours.

Why not call the office on Monday?
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
Clumsum

Post by Clumsum »

I pay illinois online. Very easy to do on their website.
etarini

Post by etarini »

The Massachusetts estimated tax payments page has a simple dropdown that allows you to select which one of the four payments (April, June, September, or January) you're paying.

Eric
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Va. has a system that is easy enough once you fumble around and find the correct link.

I set up the entire year for EFTPS and Va. estimated taxes to be withdrawn from my checking account.

I like it much better than sending in vouchers as there was no way to verify the vouchers had been reiceved and credited appropriately.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Why don't you just use turbotax for federal and state? It's the easiest thing to do. I've done this for many years.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

Clumsum wrote:I pay illinois online. Very easy to do on their website.
I made electronic payments last year and set mine up for this year a few days ago. IL site took me longer than EFTPS, but it wasn't too bad. An accountant friend of mine said the IL software is used for several other states too.
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I just went looking for this for RI, since I had not noticed the option before. For a $1000 income tax payment, the business they use charges $25. Hmmm, $25 minus charge card rewards or a 49 cent stamp, what to do, what to do :D
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote:NY is pretty explicit about how to pay taxes online: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pay/all/make_a_pa ... ection.htm
And "online" is pretty funny because the easiest way is to fill out a form online that you then print and mail in with a check. They will take a credit card but there are extra fees for that.
You can say that again, they have no problem siphoning monies from my bank account to theirs.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

rgs92 wrote:Why don't you just use turbotax for federal and state? It's the easiest thing to do. I've done this for many years.
There is tremendous variance in tax software support and state income tax online submission. There are states that have websites for online tax form completion and payment if necessary, but do not have support for external data submission of returns.

In this case the tax software companies cannot e-file, but will complete your state return and allow you to print it out. You can either mail it in or use it as a basis for online submission if available.

I have already completed my federal and states returns. I plan it such that I always owe money, but not subject to any penalty on both of them. With federal you can submit your return early and schedule the payment for April 15th. My state does not allow that, so I will probably go online today or tomorrow and file my state taxes. They will withdraw the few hundred out of my checking account in two or three days.