POLL: How Will You Complete Your 2014 Taxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

How Will You Complete Your 2014 Taxes?

TaxAct
17%
H&R Block (software)
11%
TurboTax
39%
TaxSlayer
0%
Other Software Solution
2%
Manually Prepared (paper or fillable pdf)
9%
Professionally Prepared
20%
Tax Return, I Don't Need No Steenking Tax Return
0%
Other Method Not Listed
1%

Total votes: 423

Topic Author
Kenkat

POLL: How Will You Complete Your 2014 Taxes?

Post by Kenkat »

Using TaxAct Online this year - $17.99 Deluxe Edition - includes Federal and State
Last edited by Kenkat on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gary11

Re: How Will You Complete Your 2014 Taxes?

Post by gary11 »

H&R Block Software. Been using it for over 10 years.
Toons

Post by Toons »

TaxAct as always,Locked in pricing for 2015 recently :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
adam1712

Post by adam1712 »

I'll be using OnLine taxes (olt.com) again since I can file NY state tax for free. It's not as fancy as some of the other software but it supports all the forms. I kind of see it as intermediate between filing by hand and interview style tax software. In some ways I prefer that since sometimes I find interviews annoying if I can't figure out exactly how the data will populate the tax forms. It's not for everybody but if you're like me and have the IRS instructions open anyway when doing your taxes, I recommend them.
fsrph

Re: POLL: How Will You Complete Your 2014 Taxes?

Post by fsrph »

Reluctantly Turbo Tax, due to the changes in pricing. Have used TT in previous years. I planned to check out the other popular software but it's important that previous years returns are recognized. Just easier to use TT again.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

One thing I discovered with TaxAct this year is that it was able to import my information from last year's return filed with TurboTax by reading the pdf copy of my return stored on my computer. Pretty handy.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Tax Slayer thru Free E File for several years (free federal and state).
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

kenschmidt wrote:One thing I discovered with TaxAct this year is that it was able to import my information from last year's return filed with TurboTax by reading the pdf copy of my return stored on my computer. Pretty handy.
I voted TurboTax, but now that I've seen this I will most likely use TaxAct. I've been wanting to get away from the escalating costs of TT, and the convenience of having last year's info was the only reason I was hesitating to make the switch.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I clicked on the last option. I plan to use the Free IRS and State eFiles. Formerly I used TurboTax with pencil and paper as backup. I only have simple taxes, also schedule D, and will compare to last year's TurboTax return. My friend always uses free efiles correctly and comfortably, takes him 2 hours only.
Doing it by hand with pencil and paper will also keep my brain in good shape.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

I leave the things I do not want to do or cannot do, to the professionals. If I am ever audited, my CPA will represent.

LynnC
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

H&R Block read my last year's TurboTax file and imported correctly.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Our CPA will be doing our taxes.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

I use a professional- a CPA. In the past 25 years, when I have gotten a notification from the IRS, my CPA is able to handle it much easier than I could have. He seems to know the words the IRS is looking for to let the issue slide. If I am ever audited, I will have a professional that has my records and knows my case. A CPA is one of the few professionals I think is worth the price.
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

freefilefillableforms.com
fillable pdf seemed closest response in the poll
davebarnes

35 years and counting

Post by davebarnes »

I use a professional- a tax preparer. In the past 35 years, I have never received a notification from the IRS
If I am ever audited, I will have a professional that has my records and knows my case.
Family firm.
Started with the father and now have the son.
$260 with wages and small business.
Worth every dollar as my total prep time, including driving to see him, is under 3 hours.
A nerd living in Denver
tj

Post by tj »

TurboTax. I used to do FreeFillableForms, but i switched to TurboTax when my personal residence became rental property. I will never go back to FreeFillableForms with the time-saver of importing W2's and 1099's and avoiding all that data entry. I will switch from TurboTax to either TaxAct or H&R after my rental property is sold, hopefully this year.
donocash

Post by donocash »

I will be using TurboTax, I suppose, but don't have to make a final decision until late Mar-early Apr., when I receive my final tax documents.

Hoping that any snags with TurboTax through Vanguard will be resolved by then.

Finally, last year with filing that includes partnership, hoping that next year taxes will be simplifed, and may go a different direction then.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I use Free Tax USA. Been using it now for about ten years. Free federal and $12.95 state.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
denovo

Post by denovo »

I like TurboTax even though everyone seems to hate them because of the price increases. Even $70 bucks for state/fed is still way cheaper than the old days and their interface is a breeze to work through. I don't want to go to through the hassle of importing data to a new company.
Last edited by denovo on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Francis wrote:
Reluctantly Turbo Tax, due to the changes in pricing. Have used TT in previous years. I planned to check out the other popular software but it's important that previous years returns are recognized. Just easier to use TT again.
I'm in the same boat. I'm tired of the up-selling as well, but with 3 returns to do, I think I would have a lot of data entry if I were to switch products. Familiarity is worth something as well.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

TaxAct for $6 (fed + state). I already got my federal refund, but I don't think my state return has been accepted yet. I haven't checked.

If the price jumped above $20 I'd probably just use the fillable PDF files as taxes aren't that complex if you are a w2 employee and things aren't really changing. Typically I pay $13-15.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Taxact. It's always been easy and cheap and remembers prior year capital losses.

However in 2013 we bought a rental and our taxes got more complicated. Depreciation, amortization, etc. I think I should have moved to using a CPA at that point. Now I'm a bit stuck, since I don't understand well enough what happened in 2013 and 2014 to manually extract all of that and get a CPA to do it. At any rate, 2015 will be our last rental year for a bit, since we'll be moving into the house ourselves.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I use TurboTax. My brother bought the software package and installed it on my computer in addition to his and, I believe, my niece's.
Gordon
travellight

Post by travellight »

I use a cpa but it is costly. Last year, it took me 40 hrs in prep work and I still paid over $1100 to the cpa.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Mine charges around $400 and is worth every penny.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Turbo Tax Small Business Edition. The DW does some tutoring in the surrounding neighborhood.

Cosmo
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

I scrounged a deal on H&R Block Deluxe for something relatively cheap this year, like $10 (but extra for state e-file I think...?) so I guess I'm trying that. Waiting on Vanguard brokerage and something else for documents and then I can get at the money I accidentally lent the government with an extra withholding amount I forgot to reduce later.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Maybe a better question would have been "How many federal and state tax returns will you complete with each of the following?", or something like that. My desktop version of TurboTax Premier will be used to complete seven federal and seven state returns, for a total of 14 returns.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Spreadsheet and fillable pdf's.
SteelyEyed

Post by SteelyEyed »

TaxAct. Even though my return is ~15-20 pages, I still use the free version. I haven't run into anything that requires purchase to get it done. I even did a minor's return for free.

I do it by hand first, then fill in everything online for a second check and easy submission.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I said freetaxusa above, however noticed in the address bar while filing it said tax hawk.

http://www.taxhawk.com
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

When it comes to tax software, every March, I can't help but feel like I'm staying in an abusive relationship just because I've gotten used to it.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
telemark

Post by telemark »

I've always used Turbotax since I'm lazy and it was the path of least resistance. This year that would mean either buying a Windows PC or jumping back on the Apple treadmill, so I'm going to give Taxact a try.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I am using TurboTax again. Premier will cost me 34.99, about same as last year.

I always seem to have something different on my return. This year it is a 1099-S for sale of land. It was not intuitively obvious how to enter that into TT, but after muddling around for some time, I figured it out. I also missed where to enter my estimated taxes but figured that out too.

I really believe I can do my return faster manually but TT or other software is a good validation and minimizes my chances of errors and greater IRS scrutiny. That is worth $34.99
IPer

Post by IPer »

fsrph wrote:Reluctantly Turbo Tax, due to the changes in pricing. Have used TT in previous years. I planned to check out the other popular software but it's important that previous years returns are recognized. Just easier to use TT again.

Francis
Yes, and dreaming of doing it manually next year!
Read the Wiki Wiki !
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

My retired CPA friend had us switch to H&R Block tax software several years ago. I like to use the same software he uses so I can call and bug him if I have a question. :D
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

pennstater2005 wrote:I use Free Tax USA. Been using it now for about ten years. Free federal and $12.95 state.
Try to use the coupon code available in Retailmenot.com. I used this last year but this year I moved to Taxact
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

I am only staying with TT cause Fido gives it to me free

jerry
rob

Post by rob »

wow... It's amazing 40% of people here are using TT... I guess a company can do watever it wants to "customers" (multiple times) with little blow-back.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

I have always bought the Home & Business desktop version of TurboTax and split it between 4 or 5 people. That way it only costs me about $20.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Plan on using TT again this year. I admit that I am influenced by the free Flagship offer each year.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
John151

Post by John151 »

rob wrote:wow... It's amazing 40% of people here are using TT... I guess a company can do watever it wants to "customers" (multiple times) with little blow-back.
Thanks to Vanguard's discounts, I can still file my taxes with TurboTax for less than I'd pay for H&R Block or TaxAct. If this ever changes, i will too.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

I will be using TurboTax Premier again this year. As the tax forms become available I enter them as they arrive and by the time I decide to complete them there is very little to do.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I'm persuaded by this thread to either give another program, probably Turbo Tax from Vanguard, and/or the paper forms the old college try this year. We'll see how it goes. Be nice to get the same refund due at the end... somehow I don't have high hopes that will occur. The rental and the child tax credit are what confuse me.
curiouskitty

Post by curiouskitty »

TaxHawk - Free federal & $12.95 for state

I don't support TurboTax or H&R Block because they have lobbied against simplifying taxes in order to keep their lucrative oligopoly.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Went ahead and bought H&R Block s/w when someone on this forum posted a note about the one-day sale a few weeks ago.
I've been using TT for years, mostly with a discount through Vanguard. One year I got frustrated with them and switched to H&R but went back to TT the following year. Funny thing is that last year I paid $0 for TT. A customer service rep reversed all charges after I spent considerable time trying to get help -- and I politely expressed my dissatisfaction with the software.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

core4portfolio wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:I use Free Tax USA. Been using it now for about ten years. Free federal and $12.95 state.
Try to use the coupon code available in Retailmenot.com. I used this last year but this year I moved to Taxact
I missed that this year. I'll definitely remember it for next year though. Hey, 10% is 10%!
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

kenschmidt wrote:One thing I discovered with TaxAct this year is that it was able to import my information from last year's return filed with TurboTax by reading the pdf copy of my return stored on my computer. Pretty handy.
I gave TaxAct a try but it would not import my taxes from last year (&%#@$%*#$*@!!!), and when I found I had to enter every detail by hand, I went back to TurboTax. Life is too short.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We use a professional tax software program.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
p_qrs_t

Post by p_qrs_t »

My in-laws have been working part time at H and R block for years, and I now do my taxes through them. However, I am, from this year onward, purchasing TT and trying to do it on my own as well. I figure that as long as they can do it for free, I will have them do so, and in the meantime gain experience with TT, which costs a discounted sum through Amazon Prime (for now).