How Many Credit Cards do you have?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

9%
19%
20%
10%
9%
6+
33%

Total votes: 342

Topic Author
acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh »

Hi Bogleheads,

Just wondering how many credit cards you guys have. I'm looking into getting a third, but don't really know if it's worth it. I would like to maximize my cash back rewards. I'm 26, single, no debt (pay all CCs in full every month), and have a steady stream of income. I want another CC that will give a standard +1% on groceries/gas/living expenses with no Annual Fee. Thoughts?

Currently:
Capital One QuickSilver- 1.5% Cash Back all purchases - $39 Annual Fee
Chase Freedom - 5% Cash Back on various categories that change every Qtr- $0 Annual Fee

Thanks,
AceJ
WHL

Re: How Many Credit Cards do you have?

Post by WHL »

I have no problem paying an annual fee for my cards (the three in my wallet all charge them) but there's no way I'd go with the rotating category card. I just don't have time to fool with those. I keep lots of cards because i game the sign up bonuses. My main cards are Hilton Amex surpass (for obvious expenses), citi AA platinum (also for obvious expenses), and the chase sapphire preferred (for everything else). Somewhere in a drawer at home i have a couple more hilton cards and a BoA Alaska air card. Getting ready to sign up for another hilton card, the chase southwest, the Barclays us air, and if i can find the right offer, the citi aa executive.

You already mentioned the quicksilver but the Citi DoubleCash is better at 2%. I believe its a MasterCard. There's also the fidelity Amex, also at 2%, but there is no reason to get this over the citi double cash card.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I have 5 myself, my wife probably has over 10, but most of them are store specific cards. The majority of our spending is on 3 cards though.

I highly recommend (on the cash back front)

* Citi Double Cash Back - 1% + 1% for an effective 2%, but not guaranteed 2% as there are a few minor restrictions
* Amex Blue Cash (Preferred is optional if you buy a lot of groceries, but comes with a $75/year fee) - 3% groceries, 2% gas/department stores, 1% everything else (6/3/1 for preferred), and they have this great program that gives you statement credits if you sign up your CC and meet the purchase limits. I've received over $500 in the past year from them (wife and I both have an Amex so we get to use the offers twice).

There are other cards that work better for certain spending patterns and situations. For example, BoA has an awesome card if you don't mind holding $100k with them or their partners (I don't have the taxable savings to do that, otherwise I would). Discover It provides another 5% rotating categories card, which sometimes pairs nicely with Chase Freedom.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

Maybe a better question is how many active credit cards people have.

I primarily use a 2% fidelity amex. This can also be used at Costco, where I do a bunch of my shopping.

We also have a Sallie Mae Mastercard. I think it's 5% on groceries (up to some limit we hit every month), 5% on gas (not sure if there is a limit, we never hit it), 5% on bookstores (including most amazon purchases!), and 1% on everything else.

I also have penfed Visa that's grandfathered in for 5% gas rebates (automatically, not a points system). This is also my 'backup' card that my wife doesn't have. If her wallet gets stolen we can replace the other 2 while I continue to have a least one credit card. She also has one from her credit union which serves the same purpose.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

acejacksingh wrote:Hi Bogleheads,

Just wondering how many credit cards you guys have. I'm looking into getting a third, but don't really know if it's worth it. I would like to maximize my cash back rewards. I'm 26, single, no debt (pay all CCs in full every month), and have a steady stream of income. I want another CC that will give a standard +1% on groceries/gas/living expenses with no Annual Fee. Thoughts?

Currently:
Capital One QuickSilver- 1.5% Cash Back all purchases - $39 Annual Fee
Chase Freedom - 5% Cash Back on various categories that change every Qtr- $0 Annual Fee

Thanks,
AceJ
Getting another CC is fine, but I'm puzzled by the part I bolded. Why not get something like the no annual-fee Barclay's Sallie Mae card which will give you 5% on groceries, gas, and Amazon (with monthly caps of $250 each on groceries and gas and $750 on bookstores) and 1% on other purchases?
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

I use 3 actively.

Sam's Club Mastercard (5% on gas, 3% on travel and dining)
Bank of America Mastercard (2% on Groceries)
Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% on everything)
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We have three primary cards.

1. Our oldest card which is a VISA (airline mileage).
2. AMEX which doubles as our Costco membership card and gives us 3% on gas as well as an additional 1% at Costco.
3. Citi Double Cash (2% on everything)

My wife has a few others and I one other to play the store discount game.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
mesaverde

Post by mesaverde »

It's surprising that so many have responded 6+
Perhaps they included inactive credit cards.
I would think that it's probably not necesary to have more than 2, and MAYBE have 3 credit cards at the most.
With two, you can use the 2nd card in case the first is temporarily cancelled or whatnot.
"Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future"
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Three

Fidelity Visa 1.5%-2% cash back, use for most things
Capital One MasterCard for international travel (no currency conversion fee)
Costco Amex because Costco only takes Amex and it is convenient to have the same card also be the Costco membership card.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
chaz

Post by chaz »

Two..
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I answered 6+. I am constantly replacing one of my cards, but I have up to 4 main "spending" cards at a given time. I'm autopaying 6+ cards in a given month.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards - 5% gas
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% groceries
Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories
4th card - working on a signup bonus for any other spending
Barclaycard Prineline - grandfathered 2% which is the automatic payment for some infrequent bills
NFCU CashRewards Visa - carrying 0% balance due to a no fee balance transfer offer
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I mostly use Capitol One Spark Visa---2% cash back on all purchases, $59 annual fee, accepted most everywhere and now gives me car rental CDW and purchase protection from Visa.
Also use Costco Amex Business for 4% gas and all Costco purchases.
Also sometimes use a MasterCard or other at Sam's.

Just got and spent $5K on each of two Chase Ink Plus business credit cards and will get 70K points on each that can be converted to any airline or other point program or used to purchase a ticket at 20% discount.

I also have two or three credit cards that I use exclusively for my nonprofit, to keep things separate so my bookkeeper can keep track of expenses. One is the Spark Visa giving 2% cash back and the other two are Master Cards, for when I purchase items at Sam's.

Also occasionally use Macy's card on the few times I shop there.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

The only reason I have more than one is....American Express is not accepted every where.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
chrysogonus

Post by chrysogonus »

I use three actively, but try to keep the old ones open if there's no annual fee by using them occasionally, so I have 6+. Here's what I normally use:

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% groceries, 3% gas
CapitalOne something or other - my oldest card, monthly recurring transactions go here to keep it active (phone, internet, etc).
Chase Sapphire Preferred - everything else, plus it has primary rental car insurance.

The only exception is if there's a card with a signup bonus (X point for Y spending in 3 months), I use that instead.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

American Express for costco, capitol one for most everything, bank of america for travel, usaa had it forever, and an us air card
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

For some reason in Argentina (where we travel regularly) they prefer Master Card to VISA. So we have to have at least those two, with no foreign transaction fees.

And we are not willing to pay annual fees.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Amex 6% groceries, Penfed 5% gas, Fido 2% amex, Citi 1 +1 mc and Discover for 5% online last quarter. Everyone on auto pay in full. It's a cashback game. Just retired the Fido 1.5% Visa for the Citi 1+1. Have a few others that have not been out of the safe in years.
Last edited by midareff on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Altephor

Post by Altephor »

2 now that I have found out about the Barclays Sallie Mae from this thread.. 5% on Amazon, yes please!

The other is an Amex blue, I don't spend enough to make money on the preferred. Also considering the BJs card, but unsure.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

After recently taking advantage of a 0% for 12 months on home projects Wells Fargo card so I can pay off our new sewer line over the next year interest free, I shamefully have to say I have nine cards now. I think up to five is reasonable if each serves its individual purpose, and I'll try to whittle down my cards over the next year, probably (ironically) to close to what the OP currently has (just the Quicksilver and Chase Freedom):

CURRENT ARESENAL:
Discover 5% on rotating categories
Chase Freedom 5% on rotating categories
Chase Ink 3% on gas, restaurants, office supply, home improvement stores
Chase Amazon 3% at Amazon, 2% at drugstores
AMEX Bluecash Everyday 3% on groceries
Capital One Quicksilver 1.5% cashback on all other purchases, no foreign transaction fee
Citi - card I took out 18 months ago to get 0% interest while I paid down wedding expenses, almost retired
Wells Fargo Home Projects - 0% interest over next year to pay off sewer line work
Bank of America - don't use, but it's my oldest card, so I buy one small item every year on it to keep it active to keep my credit score impressive
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm sure I have at least 10. None with fees and all have rewards. If I hear of a new one with better rewards or a cash sign up, I'm in. $15 off for signing up for yet another sears card? Go for it. Credit score hoovers around 800. I see it in a monthly free report from my credit union every month. Rotating categories? Yup, I use them. Look for perks like the old savings bond purchases online with a credit card to upgrade the family flights to first class to aruba? Yup (they don't do that anymore)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bs010101

Post by bs010101 »

No choice for zero?
Coiled_Snake

Just wondering

Post by Coiled_Snake »

Where's the option for zero?
thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd »

Total five more or less active. I think I may have an Amex blue around that's still valid.

Main card in the US: Citi for AA miles. Every year I call to cancel and every year they waive the fee and throw in a sweetener. I use the miles for RTW biz class tickets.

Main card abroad: was Cap One, to avoid fees, initially Visa, now I have a MC as well as the Visa was going to expire in the middle of a trip and they wouldn't renew early. I keep the Visa because it has a higher limit than the MC.

Backup card abroad: local Credit Union, fees much lower than Citi, not as good as Cap One.

New travel card: PenFed for chip and pin with no fees. (Defaults to chip and signature but will do chip and pin if needed. Used on recent trip to Europe with no issues.)
Thursday's child has far to go
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Nine - but only two are active.....I keep rolling them over whenever they send me another card offer with 0% interest for 15 months.....BTW, let them cancel an inactive card.....keeping an inactive card open reduces your utilization ratio and increases your credit score.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - 6% groceries
Barclay's Sallie Mae (MC) - 5% gas, groceries (incl WalMart & Target), Amazon
Chase Freedom (Visa) - 5% rotating categories
Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa) - 2% travel (incl. restaurants, I think), No foreign exchange fees. Annual fee.
US Bank+ (Visa) - two 5% and one 2% selectable categories. 5% categories much less useful than previously but still includes cell phone bills.

My wife has:
Barclay's Sallie Mae
Chase Freedom
Chase Slate
Chase Southwest (not sure which one)
krannerd

Post by krannerd »

I am not a fan of rotating categories nor am I a fan of annual fees. However, the Quicksilver card requires $2400 in annual spend to recoup the annual fee. Think you'll be able to do that?

IMO...2 cards are enough (1 AMEX and 1 non-AMEX)...I keep more that are old and less utilized.

My situation:
AMEX Blue Cash for as much as possible (5% gas, 5% groceries, 5% drugs, 1.5% everything else after a threshold...it's an old one that has no annual fee)
FIDO Visa for everything else (1.5% on everything)
B of A Visa: Old card that I use for 1 txn / month...to keep credit utilization rates low
AA Citibank Visa: Old card with no fee that I use for 1 txn / month....to keep AA miles active and credit utilization rate
Several store specific cards that are sometimes used

So, basically 2 primary cards and 5 very minor cards. Wife is much the same with # of cards (counting the 2 primary cards that we share).
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

Normally three -- one to use all the time, one as a backup account in case the primary is lost/stolen, and one separate card for anything over the internet. The latter one gets replaced when fraudulent charges appear (paypal is especially bad); typically every 6-12 months, and about 30 places around the web where I have to update the acct# when it changes. The primary one has all the usual cash back features. Before retiring I regularly used what is now the "backup card" for all business travel and expenses. Never a revolving balance. Never an annual fee. The primary one is also our oldest card, good in the score category.

But for the survey, reflecting right now, the number is four. The normal three plus one that gave us 50K United miles for signing up and using it a little.

As for "active ones", I'd say just two, and that's only because security on the internet is so bad.

I've considered using two cards as primary, and splitting their use as essential expenses/discretionary expenses. It seems a good idea, but have never followed through on this.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I put 6+ b/c that is the truth, but generally only 3 active at a time. I only have one annual fee card, the US Air Barclays World MC which gets me free baggage on my flights. I fly often enough that the annual fee is worth it. Other than that, I do have some rotating category cards, but do well nonetheless.

AmEx Blue Cash (NOT Preferred) - 3% groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything else
Fido AmEx - 2% everything
Chase Freedom (old converted Rewards+ Visa and Cash+ MC) - 5% rotating (https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendarreminder)
Target CC - 5% at Target, free shipping at Target.com
PenFed Visa - 4.x% on gas (via points), 0.9% on everything else
Discover - 5% rotating (https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/c ... endar.html)
BoA Worldpoints MC (old MBNA card) - sometimes runs a bonus, but unused. Kept open for utilization since it has a $35k credit limit
AmEx Clear - used for large purchases so I know which card to go to for warranty claims (has $30k credit limit) - 1% everything
US Air Barclays World MC - $95 annual fee, free trip insurance, free first checked bag (for all people on my itinerary), free priority boarding (still after a ton of other people/zones are "called")
Wells Fargo Visa - overdraft protection in the off change I'm hit by a bus and can't do a transfer from somewhere for an extended period of time
Citi TY MC - old, unused
Corporate MC - owned and paid for by work w/ my name on it
Corporate AmEx - owned and paid for by work w/ my name on it
Chase Bus Visa - owned and paid for by work w/ my name on it

As you can see, lots of cards. None of them carry a balance month-to-month, but together, I get tons of rebates.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

krannerd wrote:I am not a fan of rotating categories nor am I a fan of annual fees. However, the Quicksilver card requires $2400 in annual spend to recoup the annual fee. Think you'll be able to do that?
I never get cards that have an annual fee as policy, and your post sent me worriedly searching the internet to make sure I was correct that my relatively new Quicksilver has no annual fee. Indeed, it appears I was correct about that: http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver/

Perhaps Quicksilver used to have an annual fee a long time ago?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ice-9 wrote:
krannerd wrote:I am not a fan of rotating categories nor am I a fan of annual fees. However, the Quicksilver card requires $2400 in annual spend to recoup the annual fee. Think you'll be able to do that?
I never get cards that have an annual fee as policy, and your post sent me worriedly searching the internet to make sure I was correct that my relatively new Quicksilver has no annual fee. Indeed, it appears I was correct about that: http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilver/

The card is relatively new, iirc.
Topic Author
acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh »

Ice-9 wrote:

I had their other CC (prior to the quicksilver transition) and it had an annual fee so they gave me a quicksilver with the same fee...

Thanks for all the inputs and information. I went with the AMEX Blue Cash Back card (mostly because there isn't an annual fee) and provided +2% on the two things I spend the most money on, groceries and gas.

Thanks again,
AceJ
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Capital One QuickSilver- 1.5% Cash Back all purchases - $0 Annual Fee My main credit card

Chase Freedom - 5% Cash Back on various categories that change every Qtr- $0 Annual Fee This is actually my back-up card for when I travel. I only use the 5% cash back when it's a category that I normally use a charge at, e.g. the grocery store. My previous back-up card got canceled without notifying me by Citibank because I didn't use it enough, after 40 years!

Kohls - my favorite place to shop for clothes for me and gifts for the grand kids. Using their credit card gives me a really nice discount when they run their specials.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

We have three. Two shared (Amex Blue and Amazon.com Visa) and then one that I have had for over 20 years so I can purchase things under the radar such as gifts for her.
Cosmo
avenger

Post by avenger »

I have 3.

My partner and I share the chase sapphire preferred card and a Target card.

I use Discover cash back.

I used to have >10.

Less is more.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

1) Quicksilver
2) Chase United (kept for one year to get the fee free use, this rotates with other fee-free one year cards)
3) Costco Amex (used for the gas discount although we don't drive much anymore

Someone up thread mentioned having one card that his wife does not have, as she has one that he does not have. Amex does this automatically as you get different numbers. This saved our butt when my wife's purse was stolen on Hawaii and we were flying to Maui the next day ,needed a rental when we got there and the AMEX was there for us.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

krannerd wrote:I am not a fan of rotating categories nor am I a fan of annual fees. However, the Quicksilver card requires $2400 in annual spend to recoup the annual fee.
Quicksilver is our only card currently, it does not have an annual fee. I'm thinking of adding the Citi 1%+1% as our back up if they would offer a sign up bonus....
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

One. It's a basic card that gives 1% back on various purchases.
It's mainly a way of building credit, and of partly decoupling purchases from my bank account. Though I will add that my debit card has been compromised a few times through means unknown, and not once have the banks left me hanging.

I'm wary of cash-back cards, as they have a habit of causing disproportionate spending increases, whether you might be aware of it or not. (Why else do you think CC companies would be pushing rewards cards? Because they cost them money?)
Mathematical psychological trickery. Simplified: "Ooh, I'll get 2% back on this!" translates to 15% increase in total amount purchased versus amount with no rewards card.
I'm pretty sure I'm human, at least most of the time I'm sure, and we all have a habit of being easily influenced. (The advertising industry is worth hundreds of billions of dollars a year.) I prefer to minimize that chance. I try to keep the 1% discount out of my mind, lest it end up making me do something that's actually working against me.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

acejacksingh wrote: Thanks for all the inputs and information. I went with the AMEX Blue Cash Back card (mostly because there isn't an annual fee) and provided +2% on the two things I spend the most money on, groceries and gas.

Thanks again,
AceJ
Why not the Sallie Mae Barclays Mastercard? 5% > 2%
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

When I was working I had 3, 2 personal and a company AmEx that was in my name. Gave up that one, of course, when I retired. Didn't see any reason to have more than 2.

For many years I had a Northwest (airlines) FlexPerks Visa card and had built up a bunch of miles. When Delta and Northwest merged, they decided to go with the Delta AmEx card instead of Visa. I decided to stick with Visa and use the FlexPerks card to get miles I can use on a wide range of carriers. But my existing miles stayed with Delta, and the only way I could add any was to fly Delta (which I do only rarely) or Alaska (which I do about once a year). That kept my miles active and growing -- just barely. Just last month I decided to go ahead and get the Delta AmEx card. I'm planning on doing some overseas travel and figure the bonus miles and benies (e.g., free checked bag on Delta) will be useful.
telemark

Post by telemark »

One, and I even use it occasionally, but you should really have an option for zero :wink:
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I have 3.

I had one for business and one for personal.
I added a rewards card for the $300
they gave me for signing up.

I keep the older ones active for the
length of time I have had credit ( it's
supposed to help credit score, which is apparently
being used as a proxy for strength of character.)
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Actual:
  • Discover Escape: 2% on everything, $60 annual fee
  • Delta Platinum AmEx: $195 annual fee, one free companion ticket per year
  • Upromise MasterCard: 4-5% extra on purchases through Upromise portal and participating restaurants, 1% on everything else (fallback if a store is MC/Visa only)
If my wife would let me rearrange her wallet in search of better rewards:
  • Citi Double Cash: 1.99% on everything
  • Blue Cash Preferred: 6% groceries, 3% gas, $75 annual fee
  • Target Debit RedCard: 5% off at Target, no monthly bills
  • Cards above would sit mostly idle, but probably not closed because:
    • Discover is oldest card
    • Delta is a travel expense, and worthwhile even if we never used it as a credit card
    • Upromise 5% is useful, just not day-to-day
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

6+
- Our current daily use card is the Barclay Card Arrival + . We have used it for almost all charges since Dec 2013 and we were able to redeem over $1,500 against our trip to Italy in the fall. I'm in bucket list travel mode now, so it will continue to be our #1 card. The $89 yearly fee is well worth it to me.

- Capital One rewards. I have a few small recurring charges on this card, just to keep it active as a backup card.

- BOA Royal Caribbean Visa. We used it pretty extensively before a cruise in 2013. I use it every so often now, just to keep it active. That may change if we decide to go on another cruise.

- AMEX Corporate card.

- Various store credit cards, Kohls, Macy's, Sears. Used only for sales. Sears sent me a letter a few months ago that they were terminating the card for no use, then sent me a new card a week later.

I wouldn't have an issue with multiple cards for max rewards, but DH only wants to use one.
fkampere

Post by fkampere »

I have 5 I only use 3 of them most of the time though

Barclay Sallie Mae - Grocery/Gas
Citi Forward - Restaurants
Amex Blue Cash - Everything else
Chase Freedom - Sometimes for the categories
Discover It - Sometimes for the categories
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

3 that I use actively:

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Main Card - The best part of this card is that the points earned can be transferred to other programs (my favorite is Hyatt)
Chase Freedom - Use for the 5% rotating categories and combine points with those earned with Sapphire Preferred
BankAmericard - Use for gas (3%) and groceries (2%) sometimes
boombaz

Post by boombaz »

Four.

BoA Travel Rewards (general spending card) - 1.875% cash back
BoA Cash Rewards (gas & groceries) - 3.75% & 2.5% cash back
Capital One Quicksilver (I use this card exclusively online: bill pay, online stores, etc.) - 1.5% cash back
AMEX JetBlue (JetBlue airfare) - 8 point/$

The Preferred Rewards program makes the BoA cards hard to beat.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Capital One
Sams Club
Chase Amazon :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
investor1

Post by investor1 »

acejacksingh wrote:Capital One QuickSilver- 1.5% Cash Back all purchases - $39 Annual Fee
There shouldn't be an annual fee on that card.

I have one card, and that's it. I get around $200/year in cash back. It is applied as a statement credit which means it is tax free. I'll probably put it in my IRA this year since I have some space left for 2014.
Last edited by investor1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Dh and I each have 1 card. They are our oldest credit accts,at capital one. But we use DH's card monthly because it earns rewards.
Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.