Anyone in touch with gummy? (Peter Ponzo)

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
yobria

Anyone in touch with gummy? (Peter Ponzo)

Post by yobria »

Looks like it's been awhile since the great gummy has visited this site, and his last blog entry says he's not well. Anyone in touch with him?
bob90245

Re: Anyone in touch with gummy? (Peter Ponzo)

Post by bob90245 »

I don't keep in touch with Gummy. But I bet lots of people at this site do:

http://www.financialwebring.org/index.php
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

I was thinking about him the other day and looked when he had last posted on his blog. Last reply has been over a year ago, I miss gummy too. Boglehead members Norbert Schlenker or Bylo Selhi, might have an idea how he is and will possibly check in here and let us know.
Topic Author
yobria

Post by yobria »

OK, thanks for the info.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Looks like he's been busy -- Cruises. He hasn't been around FWF much either. Last post was Financial Webring Forum • View topic - Perfect Correlation? Risk = Standard Deviation? Huh?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Peter's doing well, enjoying himself (mostly on large ships as P_I indicates above), eschewing financial tinkering.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

After a bit of sleuthing based on some recent Financial Wisdom Forum (FWF) discussion about gummy stuff, the work of Peter Ponzo, I'm saddened to report:

We remember Professor Emeritus Peter Ponzo | Applied Mathematics | University of Waterloo
U of Waterloo wrote:We are sad to share the news that Peter Ponzo passed away peacefully on July 5, 2020 after a battle with bone cancer.
The original format, styling, etc. gummy stuff can be found here for a trip back down memory lane on his work and how things looked on the internet circa 2010.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters forum (Bogleheads Community). gummy was indeed Canadian and a Bogleheads member, but the US forum is mostly used for member inquiries.

We started out with a single community forum, then created the Non-US chapters forum when we added the other non-US investing forums.

I'm sorry to see him pass away.

(This thread is bumped from 2012.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RIP, Gummy. You did a lot of good work that helped a whole lot of investors.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm sorry to hear this about Gummy.

I received a double shock in seeing that the second post in this thread was from bob90245, one of the best contributors ever on withdrawal strategies and safe withdrawal rates; his posting stopped and his very useful website vanished without any definitive explanation.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I have fond memories of gummy, his site, and his expository dialogue posts. From way back in the M* days.

Sorry to hear of his death. Glad that his site has been preserved, at least for now. There are definitely a few posts that I'm going to revisit .
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

So sad to see this. His website is what got me interested in different withdrawal methods and I love the humor he brought to his tutorials!
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

CFM300 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 pm Glad that his site has been preserved, at least for now.
The Financial Wisdom Forum (FWF) has been 'preserving' gummy's site for over a decade and have no plans to stop. I'm one of the admins for FWF.

Unfortunately an 'investment expert' acquired gummy's old domain and leveraged it for their own purposes which DO NOT align with what gummy built and provided for free.
CFM300 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:38 pm There are definitely a few posts that I'm going to revisit .
If you, or anyone else, wants to revisit them might I suggest you start with the more modern gummy stuff tutorials – Financial Wisdom Forum
FWF wrote:The tutorials table below contains all the original gummy’isms, i.e. spelling and grammar mistakes are gummy’s.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:49 am The Financial Wisdom Forum (FWF) has been 'preserving' gummy's site for over a decade and have no plans to stop. I'm one of the admins for FWF.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for your efforts.