Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
mminaz

Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads?

Post by mminaz »

Are there any Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads out there?

This is the 5th largest city in the US. Let's get something going. I'll get it coordinated if there's interest.
Those who understand interest <i>GET</i> it, those who don't; <b>PAY</b> it. | VFINX 33% / VIMSX 15% / NAESX 15% / VDMIX 20% / VEIEX 10% / VGSIX 7%
jvigars

Phoenix area Bogelheads

Post by jvigars »

Yes, I live in Goodyear and would be interested.
Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz »

Very cool. I'm on the west side as well just a bit north at 67th Ave & 101.
Those who understand interest <i>GET</i> it, those who don't; <b>PAY</b> it. | VFINX 33% / VIMSX 15% / NAESX 15% / VDMIX 20% / VEIEX 10% / VGSIX 7%
Borofish

Post by Borofish »

I'm moving to Glendale in a couple months and would also be interested.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'm sure there are more than three Bogleheads in the Phoenix area who might be interested.

Anyone else? You only need two more to get the Local Chapter going.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz »

jvigars,

When is a good time to hook up?
scpo

az bogleheads

Post by scpo »

Yes Mesa
wak

Post by wak »

..and I bet once you set a date there will be others that are visiting the area.
wak

Post by wak »

..and I bet once you set a date there will be others that are visiting the area.
tuffy7222

yes...yes

Post by tuffy7222 »

Awatukee here...been a vanguard guy 10 + years... count me in with a notification
Luckyjimi@yahoo.com
jvigars

Phoenix area bogelheads

Post by jvigars »

mminaz,

Give me a call at work, 602-393-6943. I'm looking forward to meeting others in the area.

jvigars
Mel Lindauer

Re: Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

mminaz wrote:Are there any Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads out there?

This is the 5th largest city in the US. Let's get something going. I'll get it coordinated if there's interest.
OK, you've got enough interest to start a Local Chapter. All I need is for you to provide me with a name and e-mail address you want to use for this purpose (suggest a google or yahoo e-mail address you only use for this purpose, since it will be public).

Once I have your name (first name only) and e-mail address, I'll assign your group the next available chapter # and add your group and contact information to the Local Chapters map.

Congratulations, and good luck!
bdanes

Post by bdanes »

I am new to this site, but would really like to meet up with some people. I live in Scottsdale. Let me know how to meet up.

Cheers
552BB

Post by 552BB »

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, new poster. I first posted last year to go to the official Bogleheads annual meet. Unfortunately I was too slow on the draw. Maybe this year I will go.

I would love to be part of the AZ Bogleheads. I live in Glendale.
Please contact me when you are able. 623-266-9402.

FYI, I am a hard core Boglehead, I have read all of John Bogle's books. My favorite - Bogle on Mutual Funds. :D
camper

Post by camper »

If the timing is right, I might make the short trip from Tucson.
Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz »

Hi all,

So good to hear of the interest here in AZ.

Just to see what kind of consensus we have, what day/time works best to hook up? I'm open to just about anything because I want to see this group happen.

For the first few times, let's keep it informal and fun to build the bond. Our commonality with Bogleing will take it's natural progression in the conversation.
jvigars

AZ Bogelheads

Post by jvigars »

I work during the day, Monday through Friday. I could meet on a Tuesday afternoon during the week, otherwise it would have to be at night or on a weekend.
Gordon

Phoenix meeting

Post by Gordon »

Let me know and I'll drive over. Gordon Eade Lake Havasu City
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

mminaz wrote:Are there any Phoenix, AZ Bogleheads out there?

Hi mminaz:

Please PM me with the name and e-mail address you want to use for the Phoenix Local Chapter and I'll assign you the next chapter number and put your group on the Local Chapters Map so others can find you.

Then you'll be in business.
Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz »

PM sent
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

I'll be happy to join as long as I don't have to be the organizer.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
heyyou

prospect

Post by heyyou »

I'm willing to come from Payson for a BH meeting anytime that I can fit it into my retirement recreation schedule. I'm trying to use up all of my delayed gratification credits before time takes away my abilities.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, we have a Phoenix Chapter up and running. mminaz has agreed to be the Local Chapter coordinator.

I've added the new Phoenix Local Chapter and contact information to the Local Chapters Map so others can find you.

Feel free to use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with other Phoenix Bogleheads.

Good luck to our newest Local Chapter.
552BB

Post by 552BB »

Hello everyone,

This tread has been quiet for a while now. So when and where is our first get together? I guess I am anxious to meet some of you in person.
tndiehard

Post by tndiehard »

I am coming out to Phoenix to house hunt in May. Its good to know there is interest. Im looking at Glendale, Scotsdale and Sun Valley.

I'll yoddle when I arrive.

Thanks Gerry
Plan like you are going to live forever; Live like you are going to die tomorrow!
tndiehard

Post by tndiehard »

OOPS Sorry for the double header -- That was Sun City.

Gerry
Plan like you are going to live forever; Live like you are going to die tomorrow!
janebo

Post by janebo »

Hi,

Has a meeting date been set? If it works out I would drive from Tucson to attend.

Best Regards,
Jane
552BB

Post by 552BB »

Hello again,

The weather is beautiful, the flowers are blooming, and its time to have that first meeting!!! So how about it guys and gals?!?!
Cubesof2

Post by Cubesof2 »

Hi all - live in Scottsdale area and I am down to meet up.

24 year old beginining investor but have been lurking for several months now. Just signed up!
mr. scientist

Post by mr. scientist »

count me in! I'm located near the Biltmore area
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Count me in. I come to Phoenix every summer.

And, no, not to see a psychiatrist. I like those cheap greens fees.
Driver

Post by Driver »

I'll attend if I am able to.
thekingspointer

Post by thekingspointer »

Hey guys, I'm interested in partaking in meetings and discussions. I live in Scottsdale though I'm out of town for work a lot.

kyle.mathews.2011@graduate.usmma.edu
sandstorm

Post by sandstorm »

I would like to attend too
PSinAZ

Post by PSinAZ »

I'm in Glendale, AZ - are any metro Phoenix area group activities happening? Please pm me if this info is not published here.

My focus areas are getting our various retirement accounts onto autopilot with minimal attention needed during remaining few years of accumulation and figuring out how I'll pay for kids' education.
nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead »

I am surprised that the Phoenix metro area does not have a functioning, local BH chapter. If our enthusiastic group were located there, we would have already made a visit to VG's Scottsdale location. Hopefully, someone will step forward and take on the easy task of being the local coordinator.

Best wishes,

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
pelegray

Post by pelegray »

Mesa, Az Boglehead here. Happy to get the PHX group going. First step is to set up a meet and greet most likely. Who is interested for sometime this september?
LuckyFoolishness6789

Post by LuckyFoolishness6789 »

Did the local chapter launch?...
I'm not superstitious because it's bad luck.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

pelegray wrote:Mesa, Az Boglehead here. Happy to get the PHX group going. First step is to set up a meet and greet most likely. Who is interested for sometime this september?
If you'd like to be the new Local Chapter coordinator, pelegray, PM me with a name and e-mail address that I can add to the Local Chapters Map so others can contact you. In addition, feel free to use this sub-forum to comminicate with others who may be interested in reactivating the Phoenix Chapter.
tj

Post by tj »

I'm guessing the local group is still inactive?
Finance_mom

Post by Finance_mom »

Gilbert. Let's get this going again!
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Yes! Chandler resident here!
tj

Post by tj »

I'm in South Scottsdale. I'd have o think we could get a tour of Vanguard if we had enough people. I know they have a "chandlerly" there so that you don't have to pay the shipping from Malvern on swag....
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

In Gilbert and interested.
SonnyDMB

Post by SonnyDMB »

I’m interested as well. Either with the group or anyone that just wants to catch up and chat. Send a PM anytime. In chandler.
DesertInvestor

Post by DesertInvestor »

I'm in Phoenix. Looking to see if there is local bogleheads group here. For maybe after the pandemic :D
LABJR

Post by LABJR »

Up here in Cornville,near Cottonwood. Id be interested.
TNOA

Post by TNOA »

Hi guys. We do have aa PHX/Scottsdale group already established. We met in 2020 before pandemic inn Scottsdale and it was very inspiring. We are simply waiting for the pandemic to end, however if anyone is interested, PM me email addresses and I will try to organize a Zoom meeting for us all. Gordon/
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TNOA wrote: Hi guys. We do have aa PHX/Scottsdale group already established. We met in 2020 before pandemic inn Scottsdale and it was very inspiring. We are simply waiting for the pandemic to end, however if anyone is interested, PM me email addresses and I will try to organize a Zoom meeting for us all. Gordon/
Hi Arizona Bogleheads! There is a whole big Boglehead Zoom World out there right now - Arizona is welcome to participate :D

For ALL upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations, go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events which is updated daily -
Bogleheads Calendar of Events ==> https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

There is also a new series of BH chapters called the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters and you may find those online meetings useful.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads online meeting is hosted by the Indiana Bogleheads chapter on Monday, May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and delightful speaker with lots to talk about :D

Paul's topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Although Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic, those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey, all Life Stages and ages will benefit from this presentation.

Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul will discuss "value based" investing strategies (value fund investing) that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. This meeting is co-hosted by The Merriman Financial Education Foundation.

Paul is also a Boglehead 8-) who has made numerous posts over the years explaining his investing philosophy and portfolios. He posts as paul merriman - To find his posts click HERE.

To find a more detailed Indiana meeting agenda, registration, and more about Paul Merriman click HERE.

For the Zoom link, use the Indiana/Merriman registration form linked above - you can also ask your Q for Paul on it. Or email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or PM me for the Zoom link for this meeting.