South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
amitb00

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by amitb00 »

I live in Miramar (West of 75). I am also yet to attend one of the chapter meetings. Something work related has come up on last minute on last two occasions. Third time may be charm.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Nice to hear everyone is still learning and investing. As soon as we can get together, we will - and I will post everything here on this thread.

However, several other Bogleheads local chapters are holding zoom meetings and inviting Bogleheads in other areas of the country to join in. You can peruse the "Local Chapters" section of the forum for upcoming meetings.

Also, there is a Bogleheads Virtual On-Line Chapter and their next meeting is July 14, 2020, at 8:00 pm Florida time 8-)

And in case you missed it, here is the link to a wonderful recent webinar "Jack Bogle: The Legacy Less Traveled" honoring our mentor Jack Bogle, posted by forum member Barry Barnitz on his Financial Page - A Bogleheads Blog

Our South Florida local chapter email is SFLbogleheads@gmail.com - please feel free to gmail me or PM me here on the forum.

Your chapter coordinator,
Miriam2
midareff

Post by midareff »

Nice to see U Miriam...... U stay safe
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads!

The Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter is having an online zoom meeting Tues. Aug. 18, 2020, at 8:00 pm, Florida time. 8-)

www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p5428483 - this link has the link

The presentation will be international investing.
originaltrini0

Post by originaltrini0 »

Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.
I'm in Hallandale and looking forward to meeting like-minded people in the area.

Thanks
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

originaltrini0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:56 pm Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.
I'm in Hallandale and looking forward to meeting like-minded people in the area.
Thanks
Hi originaltrini0! Welcome to the Bogleheads! We'll let you know when the next meeting is, but please check this local chapter thread for the announcements. Let me know if you have any Qs 8-)
Chapter coordinator Miriam2
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

originaltrini0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:56 pm Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.

Thanks
originaltrimi0:

Welcome to our Boglehead Family.

I look forward to your second post.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Our neighbor local chapter, the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, have invited us to join them for their next zoom meeting -

Tues. Oct. 20, 2020 from 7:00-9:00 pm

Here is their local chapter meeting announcement.

I will post details on how we, the South Florida chapter, should access their meeting.

And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm
And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
And don't believe for a second that Taffy isn't doing all the hard work and just propping Taylor up in front of the screen! :) :)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please see below for directions to access online meeting 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
And don't believe for a second that Taffy isn't doing all the hard work and just propping Taylor up in front of the screen! :) :)
Taylor zooms around in his sailing club online meetings and I suspect he disengages his mute to maintain control of the tiller/mic :D
So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please see below to access online meeting 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:25 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Yup - do it all the time with my dear husband :D
:D :D
Taylor Larimore

Mel, Mariam & Taffy:

The judge and I remain above your silly prattle.

Taylor
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our neighbor local chapter, the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, have invited us to join them for their next zoom meeting -

Tues. Oct. 20, 2020 from 7:00-9:00 pm

:?: To RSVP for this online meeting, please send me an email at our local chapter gmail - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or a PM (private message) and I will send you the zoom link to access the meeting. It is not necessary to join the Tampa BH to access this meeting.

The Tampa chapter has a nice meeting planned.
-- they will start the meeting with a discussion of the topics covered in the recent ChooseFI webinar that featured Rick Ferri, Larry Swedroe, and Paul Merriman. It was an excellent discussion on many investing topics.
-- plus we'll have a casual open Q&A period on whatever topics you wish to discuss

Here are the links for the replay of the Ferri, Swedroe, Merriman video (there are 2 parts due to technical difficulties)

First part (duration 1:11:00)... https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
Second part (duration 57:30)... https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink

And here is a Bogleheads thread by Rick Ferri on this video. www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=327207

Sleepysurf, the Tampa chapter coordinator, does a great job moderating his online meetings and we should have a very nice and interesting discussion :happy

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Chapter coordinator,
Miriam2
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Zoom meeting tomorrow, Tues. Oct. 20, 2020, from 7:00 - 9:00 pm ET.

See above post ^^^^^ for details 8-)
alm823

Post by alm823 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm Reminder for Zoom meeting tomorrow, Tues. Oct. 20, 2020, from 7:00 - 9:00 pm ET.

See above post ^^^^^ for details 8-)
How do I join zoom meeting. Al. Alm823@yahoo.com
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
Taylor zooms around in his sailing club online meetings and I suspect he disengages his mute to maintain control of the tiller/mic :D
So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Taylor told some pretty exciting sailing tales this week!

I’m wondering if the Tampa Zoom meeting was recorded? The time difference made it impossible to attend without disturbing my husband’s sleep.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads and our Snowbirds up north 8-)

Our Oct zoom meeting with the Tampa Bogleheads Chapter was a great success, we had over 36 participants and we covered many interesting personal finance topics. Thank you for coming, Taylor, we enjoyed hearing your years-of-experience opinions and your participation made the meeting even more special :happy

Sleepysurf, the Tampa Chapter coordinator, conducted a great meeting and we thank Tampa for inviting us to join them.
sleepysurf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 am Thanks to all who participated in our Oct meeting, with special thanks to Miriam2 for getting the South Florida Chapter involved (and stepping up to help "herd cats" during the Zoom session). It was a special treat to have Taylor Larimore and everybody else share their perspectives. We'll likely schedule our next meeting mid-Dec, before the holidays. Until then, wishing everybody the best!
Again, we thank everyone, including our South Florida snowbirds from up north, who came, we enjoy herding cats! and I'm sure we all enjoyed our spirited and heart-felt personal finance discussions 8-)

The zoom meetings are not recorded.

All meetings are posted on this South Florida Chapter thread, so please monitor this for future meetings :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Bogleheads Speaker Series LIVE video events is now open - and the first event is this Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020, from 1-2:00 pm EST.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is in lieu of the in-person Bogleheads Conference this year.

Click HERE to access the Speaker Series thread and to register for the two events 8-)
The Board of Directors of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to announce registration for the first two Bogleheads Speaker Series LIVE video events.

Saturday, November 14, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST.
Carl Richards: “The Sketch Guy”

We’re thrilled to present a conversation with Carl Richards, also known as “The Sketch Guy” for his singular ability to turn complex financial concepts into simple, easy-to-understand sketches. Carl will be speaking with Morningstar director of personal finance and Boglehead favorite Christine Benz.

Saturday, December 5, 2020 1-2 p.m. EST
Dan Ariely: Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University
and author of the New York Times bestseller Predictably Irrational.

Dan will translate his academic research into accessible insights that can help improve the choices we make about finance, health, and our personal lives. Author and investment adviser Allan Roth will moderate a Q&A with Dan at the end of the session.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads and Snowbirds 8-)

Our entire chapter wishes our beloved mentor Taylor Larimore :happy best wishes on his recovery from his recent medical procedure.

Our next ZOOM meeting will be held jointly with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2020, from 7-9:00 pm EST.

Sleepysurf, the Tampa BH coordinator, suggested we begin the meeting by sharing our approaches for year-end portfolio reviews, tax planning, etc., then follow with open Q & A discussion and shared perspectives.

Please let us know if you would like to give a brief presentation or have suggestions for other discussion topics.

I'll provide the Zoom link closer to the meeting date. Let me know whether you want any change in how I send your link - by PM (private message) or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - otherwise I'll continue sending as before.

We're looking forward to another exciting meeting!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Bogleheads Speaker Series presents the second event tomorrow - Sat. Dec. 5, 2020, from 1-2:00 pm EST.

The guest speaker is well-known psychology and behavioral economics professor Dan Ariely.
Dan Ariely: Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Economics at Duke University
and author of the New York Times bestseller Predictably Irrational.

Dan will translate his academic research into accessible insights that can help improve the choices we make about finance, health, and our personal lives. Author and investment adviser Allan Roth will moderate a Q&A with Dan at the end of the session.
Dan Ariely is also the founding member of the Center for Advanced Hindsight :mrgreen:

Click HERE to access the Speaker Series thread and to register for this event 8-)

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is in lieu of the in-person Bogleheads Conference this year.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Thank you, Miriam, for keeping the South Florida chapter in the loop!

gail
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads and Snowbirds 8-)

Our next ZOOM meeting will be held jointly with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tues. Dec. 15, 2020, from 7-9:00 pm EST.

Please contact me by PM (private message) or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - for the Zoom link.

Are you hesitating about Zoom?? If I can Zoom, anyone can Zoom :mrgreen:
Let me know if you need help, or PM sleepysurf in the Tampa chapter HERE - he's the expert.

We're looking forward to another good meeting!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

In our next meeting on Dec. 15 (see above post ^^) we can also discuss the recent Dan Ariely interview about behavioral finance, ie. why we do the ridiculous financial things we do :mrgreen:

Although the original "Boglehead Speakers" presentation for Dec. 5th was cancelled at the last minute, the interview was done and posted here on the Bogleheads forum =>> www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=332472
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next zoom meeting will be on Wed. Jan 6, 2021, from 8:00-10:00 pm EST

We have been invited to join the Chicago, Boston and Tampa local chapters for this meeting :happy

The topic is "The Joy of Estimating Taxes" :mrgreen:

This will be an informative presentation by an experienced Boglehead on taxes and related issues for personal finance, followed by an open Q & A on anything personal finance. The meeting is geared for both new and experienced investors. Always something to learn!

Please RSVP for the zoom link by PM (private message) or by email to our South Florida local chapter - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Miriam2
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Just a recap about Wednesday's Boglehead chapter zoom meeting. We had a joint meeting organized by HoosierJim from the Chicago chapter and Sleepysurf from the Tampa chapter, aided by Keith and Gail, and our South Florida chapter.

We had at least 59 Bogleheads attending from all over - 22 from our South Florida Chapter, and Bogleheads from Tampa, Chicago, Boston, Ohio, Montana, and Birmingham, Alabama. At the close of the meeting at 10:00 pm EST, there were still 29 Bogleheads online talking taxes :mrgreen:

Siamond from the Boston chapter put together a very nice presentation on "The Joy of Estimating Taxes." We really appreciate the hard work he put into his presentation, the useful slides, and the hours he spent with us in the meeting :happy

There is a video of the meeting available and also the slides. Let me know if you want the links.

Our next meeting will be Taylor's Birthday - he will be 97 years young 8-) Be on the look out for the details!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Our next zoom meeting is Tues. Jan. 26, 2021, at 7:00 pm EST

We are celebrating Taylor's 97th birthday :D Taylor turns 97 years young on Jan. 25, 2021.

Please join us, along with the Tampa Bogleheads, in honoring Taylor and his many accomplishments, and of course, we will have an open Q&A on Anything and Everything Personal Finance.

Please email or PM me for the zoom link - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor says he is looking forward to his Birthday Zoom Party, but wants everyone to know that the person to honor is Jack Bogle - that Taylor simply put Mr. Bogle's solid investing advice into forum-action 8-)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:00 pm Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Our next zoom meeting is Tues. Jan. 26, 2021, at 7:00 pm EST

We are celebrating Taylor's 97th birthday :D Taylor turns 97 years young on Jan. 25, 2021.

Please join us, along with the Tampa Bogleheads, in honoring Taylor and his many accomplishments, and of course, we will have an open Q&A on Anything and Everything Personal Finance.

Please email or PM me for the zoom link - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor says he is looking forward to his Birthday Zoom Party, but wants everyone to know that the person to honor is Jack Bogle - that Taylor simply put Mr. Bogle's solid investing advice into forum-action 8-)
Looking forward to joining everyone as we celebrate Taylor's 97th as well as his contributions to the Bogleheads Community and to humanity.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barry Barnitz, the creator and editor and maintainer of our Bogleheads Blog, recently published this article about Taylor in honor of his 97th birthday.
Hi Florida local chapter members:

Albeit that it is a trifle early, I have composed a "birthday tribute" post on our site's blog for the upcoming January 25 birthday of Taylor Larimore. Taylor was kind enough to send me some additional biographical information beyond what my combing the forum & google searches provided. Here is the link: Taylor Larimore - 97 years

regards,
--Barry
Thank you, Barry, for this wonderful article :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Warm thanks to all the South Florida and Tampa local chapter members and to our special guests who came to Taylor's 97th zoom Birthday celebration!

Taylor was so very happy, he said it was one of the best days of his life :D

Taylor, we all truly enjoyed seeing you so delighted and hearing your thoughts.

And our zoom rendition of :musical_note: "Happy Birthday" :musical_note: was awesome!

We wish everyone all the best :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here are 2 upcoming Bogleheads zoom events open to all Bogleheads :happy

1 -- Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting - Health Care Options - Planning Preretirement to Medicare
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p5772790
HoosierJim wrote: The Chicago group is having our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed. . . . of interest to people contemplating retirement health care options and costs & employees that are considering self employment.
2-- Central New Jersey BH virtual meeting - Renowned Estate Planning Attorney (& Boglehead) Bruce Steiner
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p5777604
Tamarron12 wrote: Our February chapter meeting February 4th at 7:00 pm EST - featuring renowned estate planning attorney Bruce Steiner (Boglehead "bsteiner"). Feel free to have your members reach out to me and I can add them to the meeting invite.

About Bruce Steiner: Bruce Steiner has over 40 years of experience in the areas of taxation, estate planning, business succession planning and estate and trust administration. He is a frequent lecturer at continuing education programs for bar associations, CPAs and other professionals. He is a co-author of CCH’s Roth IRA Answer Book. You can find his detailed bio here: https://www.kkwc.com/attorney/bruce-d-steiner/
Either go directly to their chapter post for the zoom link, or email our local chapter - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - or PM me for the links :!:

Are you hesitant about zooming? If I can zoom, you can zoom :mrgreen: Let me know and I'll send you my nifty How To Zoom.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The next "Bogleheads Speaker Series" will be Sat, Feb 13, 1:00-2:00 pm EST

This will be a great Panel of Experts discussion featuring Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth 8-)
Our experts for the event are Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth. Moderating the conversation is Karen Damato, a former writer and editor at the Wall Street Journal and Money. The Experts will cover a wide range of investment and personal finance topics that matter to Bogleheads—and we want to know what questions are on your mind. Register now to submit your questions for any or all of the Experts!
Register for that session here => https://web.cvent.com/event/41d3cc1f-26 ... 0b/summary

Ask your Q when you register!

Here's the BH forum thread on this upcoming BH Experts Panel Discussion => www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=337069

Here's the Bogleheads Blog page to keep track of all the BH Speaker Series calendar of events =>
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/who-are ... rs-series/

And here is the link to the past recorded Speaker Series video conversations: Bogleheads® Speaker Series.

Thank you, Barry Barnitz, for keeping up the BH Blog :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The next "Bogleheads Speaker Series" will be Sat, Feb 13, 1:00-2:00 pm EST

This will be a great Panel of Experts discussion featuring Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth 8-)
Our experts for the event are Christine Benz, Dr. Bill Bernstein, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth. Moderating the conversation is Karen Damato, a former writer and editor at the Wall Street Journal and Money. The Experts will cover a wide range of investment and personal finance topics that matter to Bogleheads—and we want to know what questions are on your mind. Register now to submit your questions for any or all of the Experts!
Register for that session here => https://web.cvent.com/event/41d3cc1f-26 ... 0b/summary

Ask your Q when you register!

Here's the BH forum thread on this upcoming BH Experts Panel Discussion => www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=337069

Here's the Bogleheads Blog page to keep track of all the BH Speaker Series calendar of events =>
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/who-are ... rs-series/

And here is the link to the past recorded Speaker Series video conversations: Bogleheads® Speaker Series.

Thank you, Barry Barnitz, for keeping up the BH Blog :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-) 🌴

Our next Florida local chapter zoom meeting is with the Tampa Bay chapter on Tues. Feb. 23, 2021, from 7:00-9:00 pm EST

The meeting will include a discussion on topics from the Bogleheads Speaker Series Panel Discussion held on Sat. Feb. 13, 2021, plus an open Q & A on anything and everything personal finance. We'll also spend a few minutes at the start of the meeting sharing zoom tips and helping one another to better use zoom :mrgreen:

:arrow: Email our local chapter for the meeting zoom link - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - or PM me here on the forum.

If you were unable to watch the live Speaker Series Panel Discussion, the video recording will be posted here with the other past recorded Speaker Series video conversations: Bogleheads® Speaker Series Recent Videos.

An easier way to find the Speaker Series videos is on the Blog Bogle Center Vimeo site, Speaker Series Calendar of Events => https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/who-are ... rs-series/
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

There are several upcoming zoom meetings you may be interested in!

1 -- San Francisco BH Chapter - Thur Feb 18, 2021, 10:00 pm EST - "Secure Your Tech Gadgets"
Learn how to use your phone, computer & router more safely, and protect yourself from ransomware, spam, phishing, viruses (viruses?!), etc.
Zoom link sent to those on the mailing list - https://mailchi.mp/d83dfb760d89/signup

2 -- Virtual BH Online Chapter - Wed Feb 24, 2021, 8:00 pm EST - "Vanguard's 2021 Economic & Market Outlook"
A Senior Relationship Manager from Vanguard will present this information from Vanguard and answer everyone's Qs.
For the link - email lazylarry at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com to be added to his list

3 -- Chicago Virtual BH Chapter - Wed March 3, 2021, 8:00 pm EST - "Retirement Planning & Retirement Tools"
Various planning tools available or discussed on the BH forum and wiki, including the Retiree Model Portfolio (RPM), FireCalc, OpenSocialSecurity, I-ORP, etc. If you have used any of these tools - please comment on THIS post.
For the link - either PM me or HoosierJim in the Chicago Virtual BH link above

Plus - check out this BH Blog Virtual Meeting Calendar of Upcoming Events for other meetings - contact that local chapter directly and if you have difficulties, please let me know 8-) https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for South Florida Bogleheads 8-) 🌴

Our next Florida zoom meeting is with the Tampa Bay chapter on Tues. Feb. 23, 2021, from 7:00-9:00 pm EST

We'll have a discussion on topics from the Bogleheads Speaker Series Panel Discussion held on Sat. Feb. 13, 2021. The video recording of this panel discussion is already up on the BH Blog, Bogleheads Speaker Series Recent Videos site => https://www.boglecenter.net/resources/b ... er-series/ and on the BH Blog Vimeo site => https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/who-are ... rs-series/

At our meeting, we'll also have our open Q & A on anything and everything personal finance and will spend a few minutes sharing zoom tips and helping one another to better use zoom!

:arrow: Email our local chapter for the meeting zoom link - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - or PM me here on the forum. Looking forward to seeing everyone :happy
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Bogleheads Speaker Series Panel Discussion held on Sat. Feb. 13, 2021, is a fabulous panel Q & A discussion.

Click HERE for the video recording.

Good viewing and listening - jot down your Qs for tonight's South Florida/Tampa Bay zoom meeting (see above post for details) 8-) 🌴
Miriam2

South Florida Local Chapter - Nifty How to Zoom

Post by Miriam2 »

My Nifty How to Zoom!

==> This is how to get on zoom as a guest through your desktop computer, laptop, or tablet. If you have a phone, I can't help you :mrgreen: , you can PM lazylarry at Virtual Online BH chapter

1- You don't need a zoom app and you don't need to download zoom. You don't need a zoom account to join a zoom meeting as a guest. There is no fee.

2- To get into zoom, just click the "Join zoom meeting" link I sent you. Don't worry about all those extra "One tap mobile" or "Dial by location" numbers - those are for phones.

3- The next window may say to wait, the meeting will start soon.

4- Or the window may have an option to join - click Join Meeting.

5- Enter your name. If your name is already there and you want to change your name that appears on the zoom window we all see, you can change it now by signing in with the other name.

6- The window may also ask for meeting ID and passcode - just enter them and click join.

7- You may see a window that says "Do you want to use your computer audio or speakers?" - say YES if you are using your computer speakers - even if your computer speakers are separate speakers attached to your computer. Make sure your computer speakers are ON.

-- If you want to use headphones, there should be a box to check for that (if not, PM lazylarry :mrgreen:

8- Once you're in zoom, test your Audio to make sure it works. See the button & 3 dots for Audio in the lower left corner - it will be a microphone icon. To bring up the test window, click the mic or the 3 dots.

-- it will first ask you to test your Speaker - click Test Speaker - it will walk you thru this. You can change the volume there.
-- then click Test Microphone - it will walk you thru this. Adjust your volume.
-- don't worry about anything else on that window.
-- make sure your computer speakers are ON.
-- click the upper X to get out of the window - DON'T click your computer X (!), or you'll have to start all over :shock:

9- Then test your Video. See the button & 3 dots for Video in the lower left area - it will be a video camera icon. Click on the camera to bring up the test window.

-- you can see yourself in the little window on the test video screen
-- adjust how you sit and how high your computer camera is, check your lighting so you're not too much in shadow or light
-- don't worry about anything else on that window
-- click the upper X to get out of the window - DON'T click your computer X (!) or you'll have to start all over :shock:

10- Now you should see your big zoom window on your computer screen with everyone arrayed in all their glory :D

11- Set your viewing to Active Speaker or Gallery View - by clicking View in the upper right corner. Experiment how you want to see everyone.

-- Gallery means you see everyone in little windows
-- Active speaker means the person speaking is in a big screen in the middle, and everyone else is in little windows
-- note that always the person speaking has a highlight around their little window.

12 - to mute yourself, click the lower left mic so a red slash "/" shows - no one can hear you
-- to unmute yourself, click it again and the "/" disappears - you are unmuted and everyone can hear you

13- to ask a question - if there is a Raise Hand button on bottom bar, click that
-- if not, click Participants, then find your name, then click the Raise Hand button
-- note that in the Participants List, the Raise Hand button may be at the bottom of the list window
-- or wave your hands in your window to show you have a Q

NOTE - You can also change your name during the meeting by clicking on the 3 little dots in your little zoom window where you see yourself, then click rename on the drop-down menu. Rename yourself and click ok.

NOTE - you can move the Chat and the Participants windows by hovering your cursor on the edges and dragging the window to the side of the screen. You can move the Chat to one side and the Participants to the other side, and view the main meeting window in the middle

NOTE - if Zoom tells you "go to previous page" - just click on the link anyway (Zoom is referring to a previous post with the link- it's ok, don't panic)

These are the basics to get you in and enjoying the meeting 8-)

Regarding zoom - we can send the zoom links also to your email - that way you won't need to be signed into the BH forum to link in.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Darn. I deleted the link cleaning up the email. If anyone sees this and can can PM it to me I'd appreciate it
Taylor Larimore

Zoom

Mariam:

Thank you for the instructions on how to Zoom. They are badly needed by this computer klutz.

I thoroughly enjoy last night's Zoom meeting.

Thank you.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense."
Miriam2

Re: Zoom

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thank you for the instructions on how to Zoom. They are badly needed by this computer klutz.

I thoroughly enjoy last night's Zoom meeting.

Thank you.

Taylor
You're welcome, Taylor, and thank you for coming to our meeting - it was pretty active :D but actually, what impelled me to learn zoom was you! I was embarrassed I could not zoom, then I found out you zoom with your sailing club. I figured any 97-year-old who can zoom with his sailing club means I'm just "not with it" 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 🌴 8-)

Our next local chapter zoom meeting will be with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tues April 27, 2021, 8-10:00 pm EST

Edit ==> please note time is 8:00-10:00 pm EST

The meeting will be a presentation by Mark Zoril (founder of PlanVision) who does low cost (virtual) financial planning and portfolio reviews, utilizing the Pro eMoney platform, with a Boglehead-centric approach. Mark has 27 years experience in financial services. He and his colleague, Jason Lynch, will discuss the following topics, followed by Q & A:
  • Considerations in structuring your investments before and after retirement
  • How technology will help people take more control over their finances
Targeted "Life Stage" Audience: GENERAL (<-- what does this mean? See Life Stage Virtual Chapters

For the Zoom link, please send me a PM or email to our local chapter - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

If you don't belong to a local BH Chapter, but would like to attend, you can request the Zoom link by emailing - tampabaybogleheads+owner@groups.io
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Upcoming Meetings

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads 🌴 8-) There are upcoming BH local chapter zoom meetings you may be interested in.

:arrow: You can find all local chapter BH meetings in the Calendar of Events on the Bogleheads Blog. There are several ways to access this Calendar -
  • from the BH forum front Post Listings page, look for Bogleheads Blog on the menu, click Calendar of Events
  • from the BH Home Page, click on the Blog link, then click dropdown Local Chapters & Events, click Calendar of Events
  • from the BH Home Page, click on Local Chapters & Bogleheads Community, click Calendar of Events
For any upcoming BH Chapter meeting, go to their local chapter thread for the zoom link or PM me.

1 - Chicago Virtual Bogleheads -
Wed April 7, 2021, 8:00 pm EST - "Review of the New Retirement Financial Planner"

2 - Chicago Virtual Bogleheads - Wed March 31, 2021, 8:00 pm EST - "Demonstration & Q&A on the Personal Financial Toolbox"
Boglehead member FiveK has graciously offered to give a demonstration and answer questions on the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX - which is found in the Bogleheads wiki --> https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_a ... ce_toolbox.

The agenda is:
1) Tax calculations, especially including the marginal rate chart
2) Form 8606 assistance
3) Various templates available in the 'Misc. calcs' tab
4) Overview of other tabs

Upcoming meetings - San Antonio BH - presentation by Allan Roth

:D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:28 pm Hello South Florida Bogleheads 🌴 8-)

Our next local chapter zoom meeting will be with the Tampa Bogleheads on Tues April 27, 2021, 8-10:00 pm EST

Edit ==> please note time is 8:00-10:00 pm EST

The meeting will be a presentation by Mark Zoril (founder of PlanVision) who does low cost (virtual) financial planning and portfolio reviews, utilizing the Pro eMoney platform, with a Boglehead-centric approach. Mark has 27 years experience in financial services. He and his colleague, Jason Lynch, will discuss the following topics, followed by Q & A:
  • Considerations in structuring your investments before and after retirement
  • How technology will help people take more control over their finances
Targeted "Life Stage" Audience: GENERAL (<-- what does this mean? See Life

Stage Virtual Chapters

For the Zoom link, please send me a PM or email to our local chapter - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

If you don't belong to a local BH Chapter, but would like to attend, you can request the Zoom link by emailing - tampabaybogleheads+owner@groups.io
Hi Miriam,

I’m so sorry I missed the last meeting of the South Florida/Tampa group because I have been recently checking out Vanguard’s Digital Advisor and the Planvision alternative seems more reasonably priced. Do you know if the meeting was recorded? I am wondering what folks thought of the service. I tried to email the Tampa Bay Chapter with the above link, but it doesn’t work.

Really missed seeing all of you!

Mary/Kitty Telltales
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Please note, the meeting is *April* 27th. It will not be recorded, as we feel that might discourage live participation and open Q&A.

Also, this will be more of an opportunity to hear Mark Zoril's (and colleague Jason's) general approach re investing and financial planning, and the future of FinTech platforms such as theirs. If there's sufficient interest, we'll try to schedule a follow up meeting for a deeper dive into the PlanVision service.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- Next Meeting 4/6/21 - 8:00 pm EST

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is this coming Tues April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST

We will join the new "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter for a zoom presentation by Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing."

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A.

Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller "Investing Made Simple," and other books in his "Made Simple" series, as well as his popular blog, www.ObliviousInvestor.com. He is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite.

Mike will discuss and take your Q's on the basics of investing and personal finance, including:
-- stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETF's, index funds vs. actively managed funds, target date funds, money market funds, CD's, etc.
-- types of accounts, asset classes
-- asset allocation, risk & return, diversification, creating portfolios
-- long term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking

Although the presentation is designed for novice investors of any age and beginning investors just starting out, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to come and ask Q's and provide their own personal experience with these topics at different levels of investing :happy

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Hope everyone is doing well! :D
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I'm just curious if there is a link to a recording of this April 6th presentation?

Thanks,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

dwickenh wrote: I'm just curious if there is a link to a recording of this April 6th presentation?
Thanks,
Dan
The meeting was recorded and when the links are available, we'll let you know.
Meanwhile, Mike has already provided the slides he used in his presentation. The slides are in the Master Thread for the Starting Out Life Stage -
"Starting Out" Life Stage Master Thread
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter- BH Calendar of Events & Recordings

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads! 🌴 8-)

For ALL upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations - see the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

To access recordings & videos of BH online presentations, go to the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations on the BH Blog -
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/

To subscribe to BH Virtual Chapter Events - go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events and scroll down to Subscribe to the list via Google Groups. You will receive an email about each BH chapter meeting, along with the zoom link!

:arrow: Check out the new Bogleheads YouTube Channel which already has 50+ Bogleheads videos, and over 1000 subscribers!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.