South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Miriam2

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by Miriam2 »

1030danielle wrote: Thanks, Miriam.
I hope to make this one.
🙂
Nice! We're interested in your new portfolio - "the Three-Funder with a tech tilt." 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads - and Boglehead Snow Birds 8-)

Our next local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, January 26, 2020 from 12 noon to 2:00 pm
Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library
3151 Stirling Rd, Hollywood, Florida
We will be celebrating Taylor's 96th birthday :sharebeer

Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor's nifty Three-Fund Portfolio is still going strong - so he will again provide sandwiches for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and welcoming all new-comers!
howie619159

Post by howie619159 »

I snowbird in delray , count me in
whonoze

Post by whonoze »

Looking forward to it!
Just my two cents | Worth about what two cents can buy nowadays
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 pm Hello South Florida Bogleheads - and Boglehead Snow Birds 8-)

Our next local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, January 26, 2020 from 12 noon to 2:00 pm
We will be celebrating Taylor's 96th birthday :sharebeer

Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor's nifty Three-Fund Portfolio is still going strong - so he will again provide sandwiches for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and welcoming all new-comers!
Hi Miriam:

Marlene and I are planning to drive down for the meeting to help celebrate Taylor's 96th.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

My husband and I will be there as well. Looking forward to it!
Taylor Larimore

Wonderful news!

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mel wrote: Marlene and I are planning to drive down for the meeting to help celebrate Taylor's 96th.
Mel:

Thank you for this wonderful news!!!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom (in shaky handwriting in his last book):
"To Taylor Larimore and Taffy Gould (my partner) With eternal friendship and love, always. Jack"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
DisplacedHoosier

Post by DisplacedHoosier »

Great news! Please add my wife and me to the attendees.

Looking forward to a great meeting.

Thanks!
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Ann and I looking forward to joining the group.

Mikeal
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Marlene and I are planning to drive down for the meeting to help celebrate Taylor's 96th.
Wonderful! We appreciate you and Marlene making the trip to South Florida to join us.

We are looking forward to a spell-binding discussion of Mel's Unloved Midcaps :D
thekro

Post by thekro »

I am looking forward to attending
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Looks like it's gonna be a good one!! Please add 2 for us since we've extended our New Year's stay to include the Boglehead Saturday.

Mary and Winnie
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Looks like it's gonna be a good one!! Please add 2 for us since we've extended our New Year's stay to include the Boglehead Saturday.
Please stay over until Sunday - remember Taylor sails on Saturdays :wink:
elainet7

Post by elainet7 »

what is the format of the meeting live an hour away
RunningInCircles

Post by RunningInCircles »

My wife and I plan to drive up for the meeting from Marathon. Looking forward to it.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Kitty Telltales wrote: Looks like it's gonna be a good one!! Please add 2 for us since we've extended our New Year's stay to include the Boglehead Saturday.
Please stay over until Sunday - remember Taylor sails on Saturdays :wink:
Wouldn't be the first time I showed up somewhere on the wrong day.

If Taylor does sail on Saturday, I would love to be in the crew!!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

elainet7 wrote: what is the format of the meeting live an hour away
Hi elainet7!

Our formal meeting is from 12 noon to 2:00 pm, but we have our room from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, so we gather early and stay late. We have a nice spread of sandwiches, cookies and sodas, so we eat well and talk finance for 4 hours :mrgreen:

You will enjoy the meeting, meet many interesting Bogleheads, and learn more about successful investing.
Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

I look forward to attending the January meet-up.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Happy New Year everyone - our next meeting is Sun. Jan 26, 2020, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.

We are happy to have as our guest Mel Lindauer, one of the original founders of the Bogleheads and the coordinator for the annual Bogleheads Conference held every year in Philadelphia.

Mel is one of the authors of The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and is a frequent poster on the Bogleheads Forum. Mel helped create the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy, an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and served as its voluntary president from 2010 to 2019. You can read more about Mel on the Bogleheads Wiki.

Have your Q's ready on anything finance and Taylor and Mel will be eager to suggest ideas and solutions from their wealth of experience :D

Here is our RSVP list so far --
Taylor Larimore & Taffy
Michael & Joyce Larimore
Mel & Marlene Lindauer
John
Paul
Lazy Nihilist
Finmanjim
Danielle
howie 619159
whonoze
Macaroon x2
Displaced Hoosier x2
Mike & Ann
the kro
Mary & Winnie
RunningInCircles x2
BocaEli
advisorless x3
Mi Mi

Please RSVP by PM, out loud here on the forum, or by our local chapter gmail - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugaldds

Post by frugaldds »

Please add me to the list. Thank you.
yvette

Post by yvette »

Please add Jim & I to the attendees. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Thank you.
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

Please add me to the list. I will be driving from Naples.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We welcome another special guest to our next South Florida local chapter meeting on Sun. Jan. 26, 2020, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.

A Vanguard Senior Advisor from the Vanguard Personal Advisor Services (PAS) is joining us and will take all Q's :happy

Our beginning topic for discussion will be how to create one's personal asset allocation for each phase of our life. The Vanguard advisor will explain how Vanguard assesses this very important matter for clients, and Taylor and Mel will provide suggestions from their perspective.

Everyone is encouraged to prepare Q's on this and to share their personal experiences with their asset allocation travails :mrgreen:

We will also branch out into Anything and Everything Personal Finance and enjoy a light lunch.

And most important of all - we will be celebrating Taylor's 96th Birthday :D

Please RSVP out loud here, by PM or via our local chapter gmail SFLBogleheads@gmail.com
saker2019

Post by saker2019 »

Hi Miriam - Please include my wife and I as attendees. Looking forward to the meeting. Thanks.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Added to our above list of Yes-We're-Coming attendees -
Reggie x2
frugaldds
Michael L. x2
Charlie
Yvette
Jim - our techie (thank you for volunteering Jim :D )
Langiappe
blackcat allie
Mark F
Chris B
Fred B
BogleTails x2
Bob & Pam
clevername
Carrie B
pennywise
jdb
saker2019 x2
Adeeb
Ashfaque
Wally
Springskier
Woodstock65
commissionfree x2
MarilynDennison
Mrs whonoze
David_w
Priscilla & Vince
More Please
Library_Lady
Ben K
Herbert B
Tom E

I sure hope Taylor's Three-Fund Portfolio holds up until the meeting - he's gonna have to raid it to pay for all our sub sandwiches :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison »

Hi Miriam, please add Marilyn Dennison to the RSVP list for the January 26 Meetup.

Marilyn
David_w

Post by David_w »

Hi everyone,

Although I joing the site a while back I haven't really been on and I just found the South Florida group. I'd like to attend your meetup.

Thanks
David
Library_Lady

Post by Library_Lady »

Hi,

I'm a new S. Florida Boglehead and would love to attend. My name is Angela.

This is my first meeting, so is there anything I need to prepare, or bring with me, other than a pad of paper and pen?

Looking forward to it!

Thanks,
Library Lady
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder 8-)

Our special guests are Mel and Marlene Lindauer, and a Vanguard senior advisor from Vanguard Personal Advisor Services (PAS)

Our topics will begin with asset allocation, then we'll branch out to Mel's Unloved Midcaps and all Q's personal finance

And we'll be celebrating Taylor's 96th birthday :D

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Library_Lady wrote: This is my first meeting, so is there anything I need to prepare, or bring with me, other than a pad of paper and pen?
Hi Library_Lady,

I sent you a Private Message (PM) which has not yet been opened. Log in and click on the private message button, or go to your user profile and click on messages.

At our meeting we have internet access and we can show everyone how to navigate this Bogleheads forum and use all its benefits.

The only other thing to bring would be Q's on your asset allocation, and any other Q's large or small on any personal finance topic. If you have paperwork you have Q's on, bring them! You will receive many helpful answers and suggestions. :happy
thekro

Post by thekro »

looking forward to seeing everyone later today!
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Have a good one. I will have to miss because of a personal commitment out of town. Hoping to join next time.
Royal Blue

Post by Royal Blue »

Enjoyed the meet up today. Thanks to Mel, Taylor, and Miriam for leading today’s meeting. Also, thanks to everyone who contributed food and beverages.
CZjc1330

Post by CZjc1330 »

I live in Palm Beach Gardens. Wld like to attend mtgs. But these emails are very dated. What's new for 2020? TKS.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Lucky me! I was able to meet up today with the South Florida chapter! Very informative, great content and questions. The best part was seeing Taylor and Taffy and wishing Taylor a very happy birthday. I'd like to come back for your next meeting!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

gailcox wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 pm Lucky me! I was able to meet up today with the South Florida chapter! Very informative, great content and questions. The best part was seeing Taylor and Taffy and wishing Taylor a very happy birthday. I'd like to come back for your next meeting!
What a real treat for Taylor, as well as Marlene and me, to see your smiling face at the meeting/birthday party today and get one of your great hugs, Gail. I know it meant a lot to Taylor that you would come all the way from Texas to help celebrate his 96th.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
gailcox wrote: Lucky me! I was able to meet up today with the South Florida chapter! Very informative, great content and questions. The best part was seeing Taylor and Taffy and wishing Taylor a very happy birthday. I'd like to come back for your next meeting!
What a real treat for Taylor, as well as Marlene and me, to see your smiling face at the meeting/birthday party today and get one of your great hugs, Gail. I know it meant a lot to Taylor that you would come all the way from Texas to help celebrate his 96th.
And we know it meant a lot to Taylor that you two, Mel and Marlene, would drive all the way from Daytona Beach Shores to help celebrate his 96th :happy
Taylor Larimore

Re: South Florida Local Chapter -- A resounding success!

Post by Taylor Larimore »

President Mariam2:

Once again you have outdone yourself: I am certain that everyone, like me, had a good time and learned a great deal about investing from our guest speaker and our Boglehead audience. The opening video featuring our mentor, Jack Bogle, was perfect to set the tone for what was to come.

I love my giant 96th Birthday Card with a picture of Jack and me, and signed by my friends in our South Florida Bogleheads Chapter.

I am a lucky man!

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "And so I confess that, yes, I'm filled with pride at how my life's mission has found burgeoning acceptance, not only among the Bogleheads but among the millions of honest-to-God, down-to-earth human beings who deserve a fair shake in their efforts to achieve financial security for their families."
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I enjoyed hearing that you had an excellent meeting.

Happy birthday Taylor!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Hello Bogleheads,

We had our semi-annual South Florida Bogleheads meetup last Sunday 26th Jan. at Stirling Rd. branch library.

It was a special occasion as we celebrated Taylor's 96th birthday. We had special guests attending including Mel and Marlene Lindauer, Gail Cox and a Senior Relationship Manager from Vanguard.

We had Bogleheads come in from Florida Keys, Naples, Orlando, Alabama, Dallas, New York, Chicago and Tennessee. There were at least 84 signed in. It was a full house. There was a Bogleheads Guide to Investing book prize for the boglehead(s) who came the farthest just for this meetup, won by the Boglehead who drove almost 700 miles from Alabama.

We had the initial introduction by chapter president Miriam. There was a short video presentation from Vanguard about their appreciation for the Bogleheads and a short clip from Jack Bogle about Asset Allocation.

Our primary topic of discussion was Asset Allocation. And the Senior Relationship Manager from Vanguard provided great clarity and background on decisions required for setting an appropriate Asset Allocation.
. Bonds let you sleep, Stocks let you eat.
. Start from the goals and work your way to Asset Allocation.
. Risk appetite is important when deciding Asset Allocation.
. Use of dollar values as opposed to percentages for Asset Allocation.
. Setting Asset Allocation divided into multiple buckets based on goals.
. Use of commodities in AA. Majority of investors can skip commodities.
. Recommended books for complete newbies.
Mel Lindauer talked about the 'Mel's unloved mid-caps' and the history behind it. Mel still recommends the Total Stock Market.

There were a few questions and discussions regarding specific scenarios of Asset Allocation and Stretch IRA's.
A couple of notices to finish the meeting included on how to use the various features of the Bogleheads wiki and a recommendation to watch The Lehman Trilogy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lehman_Trilogy.

We finished the meeting with a beautiful celebration of Taylor's birthday along with Mel and Taffy. Bogleheads signed their best wishes on a poster of Jack Bogle and Taylor Larimore and it was presented to Taylor by Michael Larimore. Taylor spoke about how much the Bogleheads mean to him and to strive to leave the world a bit better.

Thanks to all the bogleheads who came to this meeting. And special thanks to Joyce and Michael Larimore for the sandwiches, drinks and cookies by Allison, Jim, Rebecca, Jean, Jesse and Ann. Technical assistance by Jim and Reggie, sign-in table by Paul and clean-up crew Arthur and Jesse. Thanks to Miriam for the great organization of another perfect meeting.

I feel privileged to be part of this wonderful caring community.

Looking forward to the next chapter meeting. Below are a couple of pictures from the meeting.

LazyNihilist

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: I am a lucky man!
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "And so I confess that, yes, I'm filled with pride at how my life's mission has found burgeoning acceptance, not only among the Bogleheads but among the millions of honest-to-God, down-to-earth human beings who deserve a fair shake in their efforts to achieve financial security for their families."
Thank you Taylor for your nice post and yes, you are a lucky man (in so many ways!) :D

We appreciate everything you have done for all of us regular investors over these last 22 years, and Bogleheads are certainly lucky to have you along with Jack Bogle as our mentor.

Nice recap of the meeting and photos, LazyNihilist - if only we had a video of Taylor giving us his birthday tribute.

To all the Bogleheads who came - and who came long distances to be with our meeting - you have no idea how meaningful it was for Taylor and his family to have everyone around.

And to our Vanguard Senior Relationship Manager, you were warm, exceedingly helpful, and really fabulous, and we thank you for taking the time to be with us. 8-)
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Thank you Miriam.

Below is the link to the original National Theatre Live Lehman trilogy with a trailer and where to find the closest showings.
http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/pr ... an-trilogy
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:12 am
Taylor Larimore wrote: I am a lucky man!
Taylor
Thank you Taylor for your nice post and yes, you are a lucky man (in so many ways!) :D

We appreciate everything you have done for all of us regular investors over these last 22 years, and Bogleheads are certainly lucky to have you along with Jack Bogle as our mentor.

Nice recap of the meeting and photos, LazyNihilist - if only we had a video of Taylor giving us his birthday tribute.

To all the Bogleheads who came - and who came long distances to be with our meeting - you have no idea how meaningful it was for Taylor and his family to have everyone around.

And to our Vanguard Senior Relationship Manager, you were warm, exceedingly helpful, and really fabulous, and we thank you for taking the time to be with us. 8-)
Agree that the Vanguard rep was very good. He provided lots of very solid responses to the questions tossed his way.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

That is such a nice recap. Sounds like an informative and nice meeting.
thekro

Post by thekro »

It was great to see old friends and make new ones! Thank you for making this possible! Always an informative and learning experience! Looking forward to the next time! Wishing everyone good health and profitable investing! Happy to be there to celebrate Taylor birthday!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Hope everyone is still healthy and wealthy :wink: Hard to believe it was only a mere two months since our last local chapter meeting when we discussed it might be wise for each of us to conduct what Jonathan Clements called our "financial fire drill" - just in case . . .

Here's a bit of encouragement, courtesy of Siamond in the Boston Bogleheads local chapter :happy

SoFloDoc

Post by SoFloDoc »

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member to join the BogleHeads community. I am located in Davie area in SouthFlorida. I am new to investing and the world of financial responsibility as I just recently finished my training in Medicine and stared working. I would love to meet with you guys when you have the next chapter meeting.
Sincerely
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

SoFloDoc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 am Hi Everyone,
I am a new member to join the BogleHeads community. I am located in Davie area in SouthFlorida. I am new to investing and the world of financial responsibility as I just recently finished my training in Medicine and stared working. I would love to meet with you guys when you have the next chapter meeting.
Sincerely
Welcome to the forum SoFloDoc. We usually have our chapter meetings pretty close to Davie. Keep subscribed to this thread. Our chapter president Miriam2 posts here about upcoming meetings. Not sure when the next one would be due to the coronavirus.

In the mean time, take a look at the below wiki page.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/The_White_Coat_Investor
DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper »

Very cool to see a South Florida group. I am in the Miramar/Pembroke area and would be very interested in attending groups in the future when we finally get corona behind us. Subscribed to keep up to date. Cheers!
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 pm Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Hope everyone is still healthy and wealthy :wink: Hard to believe it was only a mere two months since our last local chapter meeting when we discussed it might be wise for each of us to conduct what Jonathan Clements called our "financial fire drill" - just in case . . .

Here's a bit of encouragement, courtesy of Siamond in the Boston Bogleheads local chapter :happy

I like that picture!