South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Mel Lindauer

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:31 pm Looks like our next local chapter meeting will be on Sunday, July 1, 2018, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm in Hollywood.

Mel - perhaps the Florida League of Cities can reschedule their convention for early July so we can enjoy having you at the book signing :happy
That would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen! :annoyed
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, July 1, 2018, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm, at the Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library, in Hollywood, Florida.

Location -
Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library
Large conference room
3151 Stirling Road, Hollywood, Florida

Directions -
From I-95 - exit Stirling Road
Go west 1-2 miles
Library is on right (north side), set back behind large oak trees

Plenty of free parking out front. We have room for 60-65 people, guests are welcome.
Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Taylor Larimore's new book on the "Three-Fund Portfolio" will be published by then (fingers crossed :mrgreen: ) and we will have a nice meeting with Taylor focused on the Three-Fund Portfolio and a book signing. We're hoping to have extra copies of the book available for purchase at the meeting 8-) The book can also be pre-ordered from Amazon

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

So far the following have rsvp'd for our Sunday, July 1, 2018, Bogleheads local chapter meeting 8-) Please see up-thread for details.

Taylor Larimore
Taffy
Michael Larimore
Joyce L.
John A.
Paul J.
LazyNihilist
Fred Couples
Josh M.
Wally W.
Charlie
Chris B.
Danielle P.
Lisa B
Miriam
Arthur

Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - just so we know how many to expect 8-)
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Mikeal and Ann would like to participate.

Mike
MrDogg

Post by MrDogg »

Hi Miriam,

Please accept this as my RSVP for the July 21st meeting.

Thanks,
Jack
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Wouldn't miss it! I will be there, looking forward to another great Bogleheads SoFla gathering.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

So happy to see the date is during our next trip to Florida. Count me in!!

Kitty Telltales a/k/a/ Mary
mjb49

Post by mjb49 »

I will attend. Mike B
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, July 1, 2018, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm, at the Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library, in Hollywood, Florida. Please see up-thread for directions.
Taylor will be providing sandwiches for everyone :D so please rsvp to be included in the sandwich-roll-call! :sharebeer

Taylor Larimore + Taffy
Michael Larimore + Joyce Larimore
Arthur
John A
Paul J
LazyNihilist
Fred Couples
Josh M
Wally W
Charlie
Chris B
Danielle P
Lisa B.
Nova1967
Midareff + Mrs Midareff
Mikeal + Mrs Mikeal
Mr Dogg
Pennywise
Glenn B
Black Cat
Jeremy R
Deborah S
Brian J + Mrs. Brian J
Macaroon + Mr. Macaroon
pink
Kitty Telltales
Blueskies123
jdb
finmanjim
mjb49
Dave R

Taylor's new book on the "Three-Fund Portfolio" is scheduled to be published by then and we'll have a book signing and discussion on the Three-Fund portfolio. 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for our next meeting and Taylor's book signing on Sunday, July 1, 2018, 12 noon to 2:00 pm. See up-thread for details. Please rsvp by PM or out loud here or by email at our local chapter gmail - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com.

Taylor will be providing delicious sandwiches for everyone 8-)

Our Bogleheads affiliate blog, "Financial Page," by Barry Barnitz has a very nice interview with Taylor about his seven-decade long "Investment Journey," and how he settled on the Three Fund Portfolio 8-)

Our Interview with Taylor Larimore: Taylor's Investment Journey
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taylor's book on the "Three-Fund Portfolio" is now available on Kindle 8-)

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 27ZJG381XJ
Sohoapt

Post by Sohoapt »

Please add me to the list of people who are interested in attending on July 21st.

Thanks!
Miriam2 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:59 pm So far the following have rsvp'd for our Sunday, July 1, 2018, Bogleheads local chapter meeting 8-) Please see up-thread for details.

Taylor Larimore
Taffy
Michael Larimore
Joyce L.
John A.
Paul J.
LazyNihilist
Fred Couples
Josh M.
Wally W.
Charlie
Chris B.
Danielle P.
Lisa B
Miriam
Arthur

Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - just so we know how many to expect 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads!

Don't panic if you don't receive Taylor's new book on the "Three Fund Portfolio" in time for our July 1st meeting.

We are delighted that we will have extra copies from the publisher available for you at the meeting :D

Added to our list of attendees :happy Please see up-thread for directions and details for our meeting.

- Karen B
- Ciro R
- Sohoapt
- Hillary W
- MoneyMasterBob1
- Alexa
- John M
- Rene B
- Mrs. Dave R
- Bob S
- Burley S
- Bill D
- NuB 2013
- NuB guest
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for meeting Sunday, July 1, 2018, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm, in Hollywood, Florida.

Location -
Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library, large conference room

Directions -
From I-95 - exit Stirling Road - go west 1-2 miles
Plenty of free parking out front

Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

We are honoring Taylor Larimore with a book signing and discussion on the "Three-Fund Portfolio".
We have extra copies of the book available for those at the meeting 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

A wonderful meeting yesterday honoring Taylor and the publication of his new book on the "Three-Fund Portfolio!" We had a lively discussion about Taylor's portfolio, and plenty of laughs about crewing for Taylor at the helm of his sail boats :shock:

Taffy - we appreciate your gracious help and words about the Three-Fund Portfolio and enjoyed hearing of your experiences :happy

Michael - thank you again for purchasing and bringing all the delicious sandwiches, and for adding your thoughts to the discussion :beer

Taylor - Jack Bogle created the index funds. You created the Three-Fund Portfolio using them.

Taylor, thank you for coming and sharing your wisdom. Always an incredible gentleman, decent and kind. Graciously answering every question with kindness. Meeting everyone with your friendly smile. Now we have this marvelous little gem of a book on your Three-Fund Portfolio. A compelling and simple description of using Mr. Bogle's index funds, geared for everyone.

Taylor, our warmest thanks and appreciation :D
pink

Post by pink »

Pleasure to meet everyone yesterday, very fun and informative gathering of friendly and knowledgeable people.

In addition to all the thanks Miriam posted, Thank you Miriam for putting it all together! You did a great job being the MC :)

Hope to see y'all again soon!
Daniel
midareff

Post by midareff »

pink wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 pm Pleasure to meet everyone yesterday, very fun and informative gathering of friendly and knowledgeable people.

In addition to all the thanks Miriam posted, Thank you Miriam for putting it all together! You did a great job being the MC :)

Hope to see y'all again soon!
Daniel
I could not have said it better............................
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

mariam2:

Thank you for your beautiful post (above) describing yesterday's Chapter meeting. It could not have happened without your Presidential leadership.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
clevername

Post by clevername »

Looks like a great meeting! Sorry I missed it, will definitely try to make the next one. Congrats on the new book Taylor! Looking forward to reading it. See you all next time! Regards, Josh aka Clevername
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Hello Bogleheads,

We had our South Florida Bogleheads Chapter meeting on Sunday froom Noon to 2pm at the Stirling Road Branch, Broward County. Here is a summary of the meeting.

This meeting had a fair amount of new Bogleheads. We had at least 3 of them drive in from Orlando and one from Germany (though not just for the meetup).
During the initial meet and greet with attendees, we had lunch provided. There were plenty of sandwiches and desserts.

This meetup had a special gift to each of the attendee. Taylor's new book The Bogleheads Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio. It has just been published. I am impressed by the many warm and positive reviews already.

Wiley’s, Executive Editor, Bill Fallon, generously donated Taylor’s new book, The Bogleheads’ Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio to each Boglehead in attendance. Chapter President Miriam2 explained that Bill’s gift was for “Taylor’s wartime service and for the Boglehead’s great success in improving the financial literacy of Americans." Thank you, Bill.

All proceeds from his book sales go to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Taylor also donated a book to the Stirling Road Branch Library where we hold our meetings.

Once everyone settled in the Conference room, we had the initial introduction for the first timer Bogleheads at the meetup.
The agenda for the day was the Three Fund Portfolio. Miriam2 had drawn up some initial questions and then we went around the room for anyone who had any questions about the 3 fund portfolio.

Here are some of the questions and Taylor's responses to those questions. (I'm paraphrasing both the questions and answers to the best of my recollection here. Attendees, please feel free to add/correct if something is not accurately stated. In addition to Taylor's responses, many Bogleheads also chipped in with their experiences to provide answers, which I'm combining with Taylor's main response.)

1. Why did Taylor's recommendation go from 4 funds to 3 funds?
Taylor - The 4th fund was initially a Money Market fund. But as long as there is an emergency fund, the Money Market fund portion of the portfolio can be substituted by the Total Bond Market.

2. How to unwind from other equities and move to 3 fund portfolio?
Taylor - There are a lot of different strategies to unwind from equities. But each situation is different. If there are lot of capital gains, depending on one's age, sometimes it is best to leave it as it is. Talk to a Vanguard representative. Try to offset any gains by selling loses or those with least gains.
Also, this is a reason one should put tax efficient funds in a taxable account.

3. Is consolidating 401k's recommended?
Taylor - Almost always yes. Also depends on 401k choices. 401k's also have better protection against creditors than IRA's do. But if choices in 401k are not good, rollover IRA might be a better option.

4. What if 401k's don't have Total Market funds, but have s&p 500?
Taylor - Use index funds that are available. There is no need to exactly match Total Market Funds. An S&P 500 fund for example is almost as good as a Total Market Fund. A look at the growth chart of Total Market and S&P 500 index fund on morning star shows almost no discernable difference. Try and keep things simple. Simplicity is the key.

5. Discussion of International bonds.
Taylor - Bonds are for safety. It is important to have a stock bond split according to once Asset Allocation. The international bond portion isn't going to have that much of an effect.

6. Slice and Dicing. Factor investing.
Taylor - We try to make things complicated. Including Taylor. It's better to keep things simple. Slice and Dice is adding risk, but if Small Cap Value underperforms for long periods (like 12 years) will investors have the stomach to still stick to it?

7. Annuities.
Taylor - Get only Single Premium Immediate Annuities and get them only when you are 75+. The later the better. Once you have an annuity, it is an income stream and you can then use your portfolio to do other things without the risk of running out of money. Like provide to children or donate to charities, etc. Vanguard provides some of the best annuities compared to any other provider with significantly low cost.

8. Vanguard reps. providing conflicting information.
Taylor - Using just the 3 fund portfolio will make contacing reps. very rare :-)
There was discussion about reps. providing conflicting information during the transition to Brokerage accounts. Taylor's advice was to get an answer in writing if it is a significant issue. Because Vanguard is a large organization with many reps. conversation on the phone might sometimes not be very accurate. But when someone needs to reply in writing (mail or email, etc.) the person replying usually checks twice if they are not sure.

9. Choosing Funds.
Taylor - No one knows if a fund will perform better or worse in the future, but the first thing to look at is the Expense Ratio of a fund, which almost always is a very good indicator.

10. More Questions.
Taylor - If the book doesn't answer the questions, please post the question on the bogleheads.org forum, which usually gets very good responses. Also, multiple replies usually give a different perspective.

New Bogleheads.
There were quite a few new faces. Among them were many from academic circles and Miriam2 talked about getting them into a group, to discuss the options available for better investing for Boglehead academics.
We had at least two pilots, Bill and John, in attendance and when they were asked if pilots have very risky asset allocation because they view the world differently and are on top of the world most of the time, the response from Bill was that flying is all about mitigating risk and choosing safe options :-)
There were quite a few of Taylor's sailing friends in this meetup. Among them Burley a long time friend of Taylor who was a Korean war veteran and who saved over 16000 refugees in their ship and was honored by the South Korean govt. recently.
Also, there was brief mention of "yours truly" and my adventures of moving from CT to Miami and how I met Taylor and Taffy and was introduced to sailing and my sailing adventures.
Taylor and the sailors meet every Saturday morning at 9am for breakfast and Bogleheads visiting Miami are invited to join us.

Before I close out the post, a few thanks are in order.

Michael - For the delicious sandwiches we had. In addition to the sandwiches, Coffee was provided by Black Cat, another Boglehead, and cookies and desserts by Miriam2. I had a full stomach and Michael had a lighter portfolio ;-)

To the Stirling Rd. Branch Library, for providing the great location and conference room and helping with setting up the audio equipment.

Bill Fallon - For generously donating Taylor's new book to each and every Boglehead attendee. Thank you again.

Taffy - For providing everyone with name tags to make it easier to recognize everyone, and providing feedback on Taylor's book and your experience as a beginner investor who didn't know much about investing and how this book made it easy for you to understand and make your portoflio simpler.

Miriam2 - Thanks to our wonderful Local Chapter President, who did a great job putting together this meeting. The organization was fantastic and as the above posters indicated, she was a great mc too. Couldn't have asked for a better President.

Taylor - Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for making investing advice simple in the footsteps of your hero Jack Bogle. A lesson I learnt from you is to 'Be Kind'.

And finally, to all the Bogleheads at the meeting, you make it worthwhile. It is so interesting to meet people from different walks of life and discuss finance and investing. Hope to see you all again soon.

Here are a few pictures from the meeting.

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Taylor Larimore

Re: South Florida Local Chapter Meeting with Pictures

Lazy Nihilist:

We cannot thank you enough for your excellent re-cap of our S. Florida Chapter Meeting and also for your photographs--including the last one with you standing on the right (how did you do that)? It has not gone unnoticed that you posted at 1:20 this morning. Why are we not surprised.

Great job!!

Taylor
pink

Post by pink »

LazyNihilist wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 am ...
Thank you for the detailed summary post and the pictures. It was a pleasure to meet you!
Daniel
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like it was a great event. Wish my schedule had allowed me to attend. One of these days!
LazyNihilist

Re: South Florida Local Chapter Meeting with Pictures

Post by LazyNihilist »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:12 am Lazy Nihilist:

We cannot thank you enough for your excellent re-cap of our S. Florida Chapter Meeting and also for your photographs--including the last one with you standing on the right (how did you do that)? It has not gone unnoticed that you posted at 1:20 this morning. Why are we not surprised.

Great job!!

Taylor
Thank you Taylor. Another Boglehead was kind enough to take the picture so I could be in it.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

pink wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am
LazyNihilist wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 am ...
Thank you for the detailed summary post and the pictures. It was a pleasure to meet you!
Daniel
It was great to meet you too. Hope to see you again at the next meetup.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like it was a great event. Wish my schedule had allowed me to attend. One of these days!
Hi Mel,

It was my pleasure. Hope to meet you at one of the meetups or the Bogleheads conference.

Thank you.
SFlinvestor

Post by SFlinvestor »

Thanks for the recap and photos! I was one of the first timers, and I cannot wait for the next meeting! ;-)

I appreciate the amount of time and effort each and every one of you put into making this meeting happen and also the effort of everyone who showed up for being there and sharing.

I feel priveliged to be a part of a group of such amazing people who are unbelievably generous with their time and willingness to help others.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LazyNihilist wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like it was a great event. Wish my schedule had allowed me to attend. One of these days!
Hi Mel,

It was my pleasure. Hope to meet you at one of the meetups or the Bogleheads conference.

Thank you.
See you in Philly in Oct. if you're attending this year's Bogleheads Conference.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like it was a great event. Wish my schedule had allowed me to attend. One of these days! . . .
See you in Philly in Oct. if you're attending this year's Bogleheads Conference.
Mel - we have 7 South Florida Bogleheads coming to this year's Bogleheads Conference in October, up in the cold north of Philly 8-)

We are waiting on the edge of our seats for your visit to our South Florida meeting - and a riveting discussion of "Mel's Unloved Midcaps" :wink:
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like it was a great event. Wish my schedule had allowed me to attend. One of these days! . . .
Mel - we have 7 South Florida Bogleheads coming to this year's Bogleheads Conference in October, up in the cold north of Philly 8-)

We are waiting on the edge of our seats for your visit to our South Florida meeting - and a riveting discussion of "Mel's Unloved Midcaps" :wink:
Sounds like we could have a "mini" South Florida Local Chapter meeting in Philly. See you all there!
LFB

Post by LFB »

Hi all, I just finished reading the Bogleheads' Guide tot he Three Fund Portfolio and I want to know where is the best place to write a review. The book clarified and explained so much for me! I can't wait to give it 5 stars somewhere!
Taylor Larimore

LFB wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 am Hi all, I just finished reading the Bogleheads' Guide to The Three Fund Portfolio and I want to know where is the best place to write a review. The book clarified and explained so much for me! I can't wait to give it 5 stars somewhere!
LFB:

I am very pleased that you liked the book.

You might try posting a review on the Amazon website HERE. Use your LFB username and we will know the review is yours.

Every good review means more sales and an indirect donation to The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy which, among other things, helps support this forum.

Thank you and best wishes
Taylor
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads and Boglehead Snowbirds :D

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, January 27, 2019, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.

Location -

We'll post more details as we get closer to the meeting.
Our local chapter email is SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Looking forward to another nice meeting 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please see above ^^^^ post for our next South Florida local chapter meeting 8-)
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Thanks for the reminder, Miriam 2.
Holma

Post by Holma »

Hello Miriam, I'm new to Bogleheads and to the SFL Chapter. I have noted the January 2019 meeting in Hollywood.
Is there a December 2018 meeting in Miami? Please confirm.
Thank you.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Holma wrote: Hello Miriam, I'm new to Bogleheads and to the SFL Chapter. I have noted the January 2019 meeting in Hollywood.
Is there a December 2018 meeting in Miami? Please confirm.
Thank you.
Hello Holma and welcome to the Bogleheads!

Our next South Florida Local Chapter meeting is the one scheduled for Sun. Jan. 27, 2019, in Hollywood. We are not having a Dec. 2018 meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, our local chapter email is SFLBogleheads@gmail.com
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads and Boglehead Snowbirds :D

Our next South Florida local chapter meeting is set for Sunday, January 27, 2019, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.

Location -

Please RSVP either by PM here, through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com - or out loud here on the forum.
We have plenty of room, but we like to have an idea how many to expect so we have enough food :mrgreen:

We will be celebrating another one of Taylor's Many Birthdays - he will be 95 years young :D
MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison »

I will attend alone.
VSMiami

Post by VSMiami »

I am so pleased to see this and will register.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

I have never attended a chapter meeting. Generally what is the agenda for these meetings? Of course, seeing folks face to face itself has value.
MarilynDennison

Post by MarilynDennison »

Scroll up and there is a detailed post and images on one of the meetings.

We are privileged to be graced by Taylor Larrimore's presence and his experienced comments.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

I'm overwintering in Sarasota so will be there (n=1). Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Last edited by Jazzysoon on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

The wife and I looking forward to attend meeting.

Mike
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

We've extended our winter holiday in sunny Florida just so we cold attend the meeting. Please count 2 for us.

Looking forward,

Mary
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

I'll be there with my husband. Looking forward to it!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads and our Boglehead Snowbirds 8-)

Reminder for our next meeting Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm, in Hollywood, Florida.

Location -
Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library, large conference room

Directions -
From I-95 - exit Stirling Road - go west 1-2 miles
Plenty of free parking out front

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the latest Yes-Coming List for our Sun Jan 27, 2019 meeting 8-)

Larry Auton (Boglehead "mingstar" - our Bogleheads.org server-maintainer & site owner :D )
Taylor Larimore
Taffy
Michael & Joyce Larimore
Jazzman
VSMiami
Jazzysoon
Mikeal & Mrs Mikeal
Kitty Telltales & Mr. Kitty
Ted B
Deborah S
Priscilla & Vince
Matt C
Fred B
John A
Paul J
Midareff & Mrs Midareff
Macaroon & Mr. Macaroon
Mr. Dogg
Wally W
Chris B
Medguy
Robert N
blackcat
Woodstock & Mrs. Woodstock
Charlie H
Leslie T
pennywise
Marilyn D
MarilynDennison wrote: I will attend alone.
Marilyn - you will never be alone with us 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

8-) South Florida Bogleheads - meeting Sun. Jan. 27, 2019, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm - see up-thread for directions

Our meeting topic is "Vanguard Personal Advisor Services: Is it for you?"

We have a special guest coming from Vanguard to discuss Vanguard's Personal Advisor Service (PAS) and take Q's. :D

We will also have time for Q's & A's on Anything & Everything Finance :D

You can send me your Q's ahead of time via PM or our local chapter SFlBogleheads@gmail.com or out loud here on the forum, or bring them to the meeting for our guest and the collective knowledge and experience of others.

It will be a nice program, looking forward to seeing everyone again!
mjb49

Post by mjb49 »

Please add me to the list.