Join the Wiki!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Join the Wiki!

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Is there an investing topic that you want to tell the world about?

Would you like to enrich your investing knowledge, or explore new areas?

The answer is easy: Join the Bogleheads Wiki army.

You'll get a rewarding experience of helping others while learning investing.

Interested? Just post a request in this thread and a wiki administrator will send you a PM containing your wiki account login information.

There's nothing to lose. You'll get the experience of editing a wiki, as well as collaborative support of the forum.

[Link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Hi Barry-

First, I want to say: amazing work - I reference and link others to the wiki regularly, and enjoy lurking in the development-related threads on the forum.

Was thinking the other day that there were a few things that might use expanding - I'm newish, so would prefer (of course) to stick to areas I'm comfortable/familiar with, but if I can lend a hand I would be happy to do so.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

noobvester wrote:Hi Barry-

First, I want to say: amazing work - I reference and link others to the wiki regularly, and enjoy lurking in the development-related threads on the forum.

Was thinking the other day that there were a few things that might use expanding - I'm newish, so would prefer (of course) to stick to areas I'm comfortable/familiar with, but if I can lend a hand I would be happy to do so.
Hi noobvester:

Please check your pms. Simple instructions for signing in with the WIKI are included.

regards.
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
TenS2XS

Post by TenS2XS »

I'll give it a look.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Have you considered making a contribution to this remarkable resource (our forum's wiki)? Do so and your work will live on forever. Think about that; your children and your grandchildren and perhaps even their grandchildren just may read and learn from the work you help create today. Powerful stuff!

Contact Barry to join the wiki team. You'll be glad you did.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
enderw88

Post by enderw88 »

I would like to help out.
Craig | Tucson, AZ
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

How do I find topics in the wiki that I want to read? For example TIRA to Roth conversions or RMDs?
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

zaplunken wrote:How do I find topics in the wiki that I want to read? For example TIRA to Roth conversions or RMDs?
The easiest way to find a page in WIKI is to use the search box, entering the subject of interest and hitting the search button.

Entering "Roth Conversions" in the search box yields the following results:

Search results

Entering RMDs in search yields the following results.

Alternately, you can use the manually created Table of Contents to find major wiki categories and selected pages.

It is best to click on the main category, of interest, for all pages which fall under the category are automatically directed by the wiki to the category once an editor has placed the page in a category. An entire list of pages, alphabetized, will be listed. Thus, here are the pages in the WIKI Retirement Planning Category, and pages listed in the [Category: IRAs.

A link to a complete listing of the WIKI's categories is available on the left side panel of the WIKI. Here is what the link provides.

At the bottom of each WIKI page you will find a listing of the page's categories. Each category link will take you to the list of page's in that category.

We also try to make navigation easier by providing hyperlinks in the pages, ''see also" sections which provide related WIKI pages, as well as sidebars and bottom navigation boxes.

Hope this helps,
celia

Post by celia »

Before I "volunteer", could you post a link here to the guidelines that need to be followed or anything else that helps us know what we're getting ourselves into? This isn't a task that everyone can do, and we wouldn't want to waste your time or ours.

Or does your "welcome" notice do this?

celia
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sure. First, let me explain that the Bogleheads' wiki is really Wikipedia in disguise. It runs the same software as Wikipedia (MediaWiki), but with a different look. (Wikipedia is experimenting with a new user interface ("skin") which will be incorporated into a future MediaWiki release.)

The purpose of a "wiki" is to provide information as an authoritative source. This is different than a forum or blog, where you can give an opinion and it can be considered just that. The "welcome" text explains that the Bogleheads wiki is focused on all things investing.

Why should you want to be a wiki editor instead of a reader? For the same reasons that you post in the forum or edit a blog; to teach, to learn, to document some ideas that you just want to tell the world. The only difference is an educational environment using a structured format. You get the benefits of collaboration, as any wiki editor can edit any contribution.

If you don't want others to edit your works, then contributing to a wiki may not be for you.

Also, if you just want to point out a few corrections, then being an editor is not the right path. Use the "Suggestions for the Wiki" link (in the welcome text box) for those ideas.

What are the guidelines? The same as wikipedia, which can be found on the Basic help page. Note the left side of the page has an "editing the wiki" section.

As for the "mechanics" of editing, click on the "view source" tab of any page to see the actual wiki text. If it looks imposing, don't worry. There's a toolbar that will help do most of the formatting for you. Even if that's too much, just type what you want to write and let someone else fix it for you. It's really no big deal. The idea is to get the content correct, then format later.

Don't worry about making mistakes. Every page comes with full version tracking that can be "undone". You can see any change to any version with time and date tracking, as well (history tab). This is exactly how Wikipedia works.

You can see wiki activity (who is editing what page at the moment) by clicking on the "recent changes" link at the left side of the page.

If this doesn't answer your questions, please ask again.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Barry Barnitz wrote:
zaplunken wrote:How do I find topics in the wiki that I want to read? For example TIRA to Roth conversions or RMDs?
The easiest way to find a page in WIKI is to use the search box, entering the subject of interest and hitting the search button.

Entering "Roth Conversions" in the search box yields the following results:

Search results

Entering RMDs in search yields the following results.

Alternately, you can use the manually created Table of Contents to find major wiki categories and selected pages.

It is best to click on the main category, of interest, for all pages which fall under the category are automatically directed by the wiki to the category once an editor has placed the page in a category. An entire list of pages, alphabetized, will be listed. Thus, here are the pages in the WIKI Retirement Planning Category, and pages listed in the [Category: IRAs.

A link to a complete listing of the WIKI's categories is available on the left side panel of the WIKI. Here is what the link provides.

At the bottom of each WIKI page you will find a listing of the page's categories. Each category link will take you to the list of page's in that category.

We also try to make navigation easier by providing hyperlinks in the pages, ''see also" sections which provide related WIKI pages, as well as sidebars and bottom navigation boxes.

Hope this helps,
Thank you Barry, yes this is helpful.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

I just tried to update the wiki, but I didn't realize I needed to ask. :D
(I'd like to contribute)

What I was trying to change was to update
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguard_Fund_Info to include VTIAX, the new Admiral share option for total international. @ .20%, fund # 0569.

Thanks!

Greg
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

gsmith wrote:I just tried to update the wiki, but I didn't realize I needed to ask. :D
(I'd like to contribute)

What I was trying to change was to update
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguard_Fund_Info to include VTIAX, the new Admiral share option for total international. @ .20%, fund # 0569.

Thanks!

Greg
Thanks Greg:

Check your pm's.

regards,
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Joining the wiki team is a great way to contribute something lasting to the Bogleheads' community and beyond, since the wiki is available for everyone to read.

Make that your new year's resolution and make sure that's one resolution you keep!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Taylor Larimore

The Boglehead WIKI

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Barry and Lady Geek:

Thanks to you and our Boglehead contributors, the Boglehead WIKI is now one of the best sources for useful and reliable financial information on the web!

Thanks to all who contribute!

Happy New Year.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
magician

Post by magician »

I'd love to join the Wiki team if I may.

Thanks.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
thn929

Post by thn929 »

I would also like to join. My reason is to fix a terribly minor typo ("waiver" should be "waver" under "Bogleheads℠ investment philosophy > Stay the course).

For some reason, I have quite a keen eye for typos and grammar, so I'll be on the lookout as I read through.
FNK

Post by FNK »

I'm game, sign me up.
exeunt

Re: Join the Wiki!

Post by exeunt »

I'd like to join.
ptete

Post by ptete »

Pm me, thanks.
velcro

Post by velcro »

I have a question about the "Paying a tax cost to switch funds" wiki entry. Is the best way to address that to write on the Discussion page? If so, do I need to sign up here?

Any advice would be appreciated.
FNK

Post by FNK »

In my humble opinion: If you want to edit the Wiki, get a password and edit the Wiki. If not, post a thread on the forum and someone may pick it up. I tend not to go to the discussion pages.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I agree with FNK, as the discussion page has a very limited audience.There are several ways to go:

- If it's a question that the wiki needs clarification or correction, you are certainly welcome to become a wiki editor - there's no obligation. Any and all contributions are welcome.

- Or, feel free to post your content in Suggestions for the Wiki and someone will care of it.

- If it's a very general question, perhaps it might be better to ask in the forum. If a change to the wiki is needed as a result, just PM a wiki editor and point to the thread.

The wiki entry: Paying a tax cost to switch funds
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
peregrine

Post by peregrine »

I'll bite.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Some interesting thoughts about editor engagement from Wikipedia, Suggesting tasks for new Wikipedians — Wikimedia blog. Wikipedia has launched an Editor engagement project after coming to realize that they need to make efforts to retain existing editors, as well as to engage new contributors to participate on Wikipedia.

Seems like the BH wiki, with its smallish group of core editors could benefit from Wikipedia's experiences and efforts. For those not already involved in editing the BH wiki, perhaps you might give some though to helping with the small problems that need fixing, see Help:Cleanup for ideas.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I would like to join the wiki team! More so for my eye for grammatical/spelling mistakes as I read. Not saying there's a lot in the wiki ;-)
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Maybe not the correct place for this, but I've been curious if the "MRD Suspended for 2009" section that appears on so many pages is still relevant. It's on basically every page that talks about a vehicle with a MRD.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

pennstater2005 wrote:I would like to join the wiki team! More so for my eye for grammatical/spelling mistakes as I read. Not saying there's a lot in the wiki ;-)
Check your PM. You're in, thanks! Fixing grammatical and spelling errors is very important.

As they say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression." The first thing readers notice are typo and grammatical errors, content is secondary. Regardless of the countless hours spent to edit an article, it all goes for naught if the quality of the presentation is poor.
runner9 wrote:Maybe not the correct place for this, but I've been curious if the "MRD Suspended for 2009" section that appears on so many pages is still relevant. It's on basically every page that talks about a vehicle with a MRD.
Take a look in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum. It's the second sticky down from the top: Suggestions for the Wiki. Depending on how one views the forum threads (using the Bogleheads.org home page), this may not be apparent.

I found "MRD Suspended for 2009" in IRA Distribution Tables. It should be "RMD Suspended for 2009" - typo :oops:

- pennstater2005 - here's a good first test on wiki editing. Give it a shot. :)
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I found "MRD Suspended for 2009" in IRA Distribution Tables. It should be "RMD Suspended for 2009" - typo :oops:

Done!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
runner9

Post by runner9 »

pennstater2005 wrote:

Done!
It's also wrong on the 457b page. Again, not sure a 2009 exception is relevent to anyone in 2013 except as and FYI for something that might be possible in another really down year.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I posted your suggestion in Re: Suggestions for the Wiki. To keep this thread on-topic, let's continue the discussion over there.

Pennstater2005 has also fixed the 457-b page.

Editing the wiki is not difficult, just "different" than posting in the forum. BTW, the wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia, so it's worthwhile to learn (IMO).
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Over at the wiki, more feedback from our new tool, Bogleheads • View topic - Wiki - Give your feedback, no account required!. This time someone posted
can not easily find "option to change password"
There is a two-part answer:
1) If you are a registered user but have forgotten your password, it can be reset on Reset password - Bogleheads or
2) If you are logged in and want to change your password then use Change password - Bogleheads
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If the password reset fails, such as not entering your email address in your wiki user profile, PM me for assistance.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

... Come on inform the Bogleland! :happy
PJW
small_index

Post by small_index »

I don't want to edit a main Wiki, but want to contribute multiple answers to a Talk page for the "after-tax 401(k)".
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Talk:After-tax_401(k)

If I need to be an editor to post on the above page, I'm interested in becoming one.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Look for a PM. You are now a wiki editor. :)

There are absolutely no obligations for editing the wiki. All contributions are appreciated, regardless of what you want to do. Thank you!
xatlasm

Post by xatlasm »

I would like to edit the Wiki to fix a typo on Table 2 of this page (link to Foreign Tax Credit in table's header row is broken): https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguar ... tributions

Can this be arranged? :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you! You are now a wiki editor. Look for a PM with the details.

You may edit any article in the wiki, not just the one with the typo.

Based on your posts, you might be interested in this wiki article: Investing in Japan
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

I'd like to be an editor if that's ok. Mainly it's for using certain account features like watchlists, as I don't really have any edits to make, but who knows? Also, I'm a Linux Systems Engineer and manage several large, high-traffic MediaWiki installations for my company and I'd be happy to contribute from that end, if any such help were desired. :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sure, you can be an editor. I sent you a PM with the info.

Thanks for your offer. So far, we have enough help but will keep you in mind.
tjamesturner

Post by tjamesturner »

please give me edit rights on the wiki.

details:
i would like to update the page on hsa options with the new fee structure (and name) for elements financial. considering how much i use the forum, i will probably end up making regular edits going forward.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Health_ ... nd_options
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! I sent you a PM.
IrishDad

Post by IrishDad »

I think that I have an account already- IrishDad, but just wanted to make sure that I am in and good to go.
Could you check for me, and if I am not let me know what I need to do?

Thanks!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! I sent you a PM.
murphychen

Post by murphychen »

I'd like to contribute to wiki by adding 2016 performance data to Barclays US Aggregate Bond Index located here https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Barclay ... Bond_Index
jmk

Post by jmk »

Can I please permitted to edit wiki?
I want to beef up and revise the page "https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Withdrawal_methods" which I feel is seriously out of date.
I want to add regroup and add under the categories (a) decision rule methods (constant $, constant %, guyton rules, zolt rules), (b) actuarial methods (e.g. rmd, VPW, siegel form of pmt).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! You've been added as an editor (by Barry Barnitz). A PM containing the details should have been sent to you.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

As a retired R/E developer, businessman, and commercial building contractor, I don't know if my "expertise" would be useful in a WIKI amongst investment finance wizards :shock: .

If so, please let me know and I'll be glad to work on small business development, nuts and bolts "How to's", landlord issues, tenant issues, property/project development and/or management, landlord tenant codes, building codes, contracts, leases, financing, or related fields you might consider useful.

Thanks "barry", "ladygeek".
Aloha
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you! I have added you as a wiki editor. The details have been sent via PM.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Expertise in a particular subject is helpful, but not a requirement to help develop and improve the wiki. For anyone even remotely considering contributing, might I suggest reading Guide for contributors for ideas on how anyone can contribute and help improve the wiki.

Start small, with little steps, such as correcting a typo or misspelling. Rome The wiki wasn't built in a day.

Added: To get some idea of the efforts of the wiki editors, check out Recent changes - Bogleheads and click on any of the 'changes' links to look at the variety of changes/updates that are being made. Every little improvement/change helps.