Why do you spend all your time on the Bogleheads forum?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Watty

Re: Why do you spend all your time on the Bogleheads forum?

Post by Watty »

Stuck close to home with the pandemic.

Feels good to be able to sometimes help people.

Still learning as I go through the different phases of life.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

A lot of smart, dedicated, and likable folks in this Forum. The control of the discourse by the Mods is excellent.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

I spend time on this forum because there are some very successful people here, and I learn a lot.

Many, perhaps most of them, are orthogonal, some even opposite to me, in so many ways.

It does not matter!

Not all smart people are wealthy, not all wealthy people are smart, but there is a significant correlation!
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

To learn what I don't know about finance and investment. If I have a blindspot, I can try to fix it. But if I don't know I have a blindspot, that's a problem. The discussions on this forum have alerted me to many, many issues I never even thought about prior to frequenting.

Since visiting this forum I've learned volumes, including highly actionable items like the backdoor Roth, using my HSA as an investment vehicle, and tax loss harvesting.

Turns out, I didn't know quite a bit. Still don't. Still learning. Always room to improve.
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

The book recommendations on the "What are you reading" thread.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Spooky wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm The book recommendations on the "What are you reading" thread.
Indeed. I like being a member of a group where I’m not the best read person.

In all seriousness, this is the smartest group of people on the internet. I learn about new laws and regulations, some of which actually affect me, the latest in academic research, and whether the market is soaring or in free fall.

Most of the time I stay, though, because of the $5000 watches and 3 car garages.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Early on it was for the education. Learned a lot. Now I’m here for the car threads and some of the consumption threads. Find them entertaining.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 pmIn all seriousness, this is the smartest group of people on the internet. I learn about new laws and regulations, some of which actually affect me, the latest in academic research, and whether the market is soaring or in free fall.
I am fairly active on two other forums: a college football board for the school I played at and a Ford Maverick board (recently, because we ordered one). To be frank, the intellectual capacity of the average person on the internet talking about football and trucks is scary. There are SO MANY absolutely brilliant people on this board, which has allowed me to learn a heck of a lot of things totally unrelated to personal finance.

Post by 123 »

I'm often amazed at the simple and obvious things that are discussed where I have failed to appreciate the consequences of simple and obvious things. It's sort of like continuing professional education, most of it is a waste of time, you already know it but there could be that one thought you read that is a gold nugget of information and perspective to you that makes it all worthwhile.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

Because it’s civil.
sf_tech_saver

Post by sf_tech_saver »

Because choosing between VT, VTI and VOO is hard :)
VTI is a modern marvel
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm [Title was "Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?" --admin LadyGeek]

Set your asset allocation, invest regularly and go to do something else. Why are you active at this forum?
To help others who need the help. To debate, to learn about consumer discretionary purchases, like $5,000 watches, wine, bourbon, vacations, socks, blankets, coffee, etc.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grifin

Re: Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?

Post by Grifin »

Loandapper wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:08 pm The information contained on these pages is some of the most valuable on the internet.
Literally!

Cheers.
Grifin
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

nydoc wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm Because it’s civil.
That's another reason I stay.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 pm I found Bogleheads during the lowest point of my life, halfway through my PhD and in the middle of a divorce that was emotionally and (at the time) financially devastating. The divorce was almost completely about money, I wanted to learn everything I could to set myself up for the future and to protect myself. I'm in a completely different place a decade late; happily married with two kids and pretty darn close to financially independent. Logging onto Bogleheads is just part of my routine at this point.
Outstanding!!!
An inspiration!

Thanks for sharing 🌺
J
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 pmIn all seriousness, this is the smartest group of people on the internet. I learn about new laws and regulations, some of which actually affect me, the latest in academic research, and whether the market is soaring or in free fall.
I am fairly active on two other forums: a college football board for the school I played at and a Ford Maverick board (recently, because we ordered one). To be frank, the intellectual capacity of the average person on the internet talking about football and trucks is scary. There are SO MANY absolutely brilliant people on this board, which has allowed me to learn a heck of a lot of things totally unrelated to personal finance.
This is the honest answer for me as well. I’m here because of the other posters. They are many times brilliant. They are very generous with their time and advice. They are civil. This is a unique place and pleasant place on the internet, and it helps me financially. What’s not to live?

So to all of you, thank you!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I really didn’t have anyone knowledgeable and trustworthy with whom I felt free to discuss personal financial and investing topics in detail all these years. There’s still a societal reluctance to share such information and there are a variety of attitudes toward the topic, not to mention knowledge levels. In the past I listened to Ric Edelman, Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey, but BH is a whole other plane.

So when I finally found this site in September, my head exploded, I asked a lifetime’s worth of questions, got lots of erudite and easy to apply responses and now I feel significantly more equipped to deal with this important aspect of life. I stayed for the wonderful companionship.

I’m incredibly grateful. Cheers everyone. :beer
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

The only place I c@n afford to “rub shoulders” with the rich.

dottie
Last edited by Dottie57 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhuang

Post by Zhuang »

Learn from many outliers :beer!
Basis

Post by Basis »

“If you’re the smartest guy in the room, find a new room.”

There are brilliant people in this room. I’ll never be the smartest here. So I won’t leave.
You see what you know.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

A lot of very smart people here, and/or rich in life experience. I am thankful for the perspectives here particularly in early 2000, which was shortly after I joined. This place helped me keep my composure and not make big mistakes.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

For the generosity of the wonderful contributors.
For the diversity of experiences.
For the laughs.
Thank you all!
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

a2_alice wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm I browse a couple times a week but I don’t post very often. Mostly I’m here to get a chuckle about people worrying about whether their kid should go to Harvard vs. MIT, a 3-car garage is necessary to exist, or they can afford a $1.2M house with an annual income of $600K.

One real financial impact Bogleheads has made on my life in the past couple of years was the refi thread—at the time it prodded me into action. It was very nice to have recommendations and data of what rates other people were getting.

Edited to add:
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:22 pm To argue about 3 car garages.
Yeah it’s this.
Ha, I do enjoy the “I’m 30, I have $1.5 million saved in my 401k, $500,000 in a Roth, an extra $2 million in company stock, and I have $300,000 set aside for the kids college. How am I doing?” posts.
Pegasus_RPG

Post by Pegasus_RPG »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm There are SO MANY absolutely brilliant people on this board,
So you and others who said similar things are like zombies? Here for the brains? :mrgreen:

(Sorry, had to do it.)

This is also the funniest thread I've seen in awhile with the early wisecracks!

But seriously, like many others have said, for the knowledge, tidbits, previously unknown topics and sharing what little so far I can.
JackBoglereader21

Post by JackBoglereader21 »

I had been a reader for many years - on and off but never consistently. For over 30 years my mantra was work, save, invest in retirement via low cost funds. A few years ago, twist of good fortunate, my net worth increased to include taxable assets. I always had an emergency fund but extra income to invest in a taxable account. After my net worth increased, I read this forum a little more consistently, getting terrific information but rarely acted upon said information when I should have.

Beginning last fall I committed myself to reading this forum more regularly because after working with 2 Robo advisors that includes CFP (ongoing), an hourly fee CFP (8 hours) and a tax planner (3 hours), the information I find here is comparable to what I learned from paid professionals. I did find value in the professionals, they got me more organized, but what they can't provide is the wisdom and actual lived-experiences of members here.

I am grateful for the transparency and large amounts of information shared. It has inspired me to share more openly. I belong to no social media platforms and no other forums. I do read Leasehackr (I like cars) but don't have an active account. This forum provides a wealth (literally) of actionable information. It is civil, kind, empathetic and helpful. Finally, I think what I have gotten most is confidence and trust in myself. Many of the posting resonate with me, are in line with my values (living large on frugality), and reaffirm many of the decisions I have made throughout my adult life.

I am forever grateful to this forum and the moderators who bring it to life.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

The collective wisdom of the people here is sort of mind-blowing. There are so many experts on a variety of topics willing to generously share what they know and offer sound, unbiased advice, free of charge. The discussions are almost always polite and the information is often very valuable. I continue to learn new things on a regular basis here and consider myself fortunate to have found this gem of a site.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

Because this forum provides value. :sharebeer
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm
Set your asset allocation, invest regularly and go to do something else. Why are you active at this forum?
To read posts like this one and chime in if in the mood :D
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
fisher0815

Post by fisher0815 »

youngsters wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm [Title was "Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?" --admin LadyGeek]

I'm using it to train my brain not falling back to active investing.
Last edited by fisher0815 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Sound financial advice at the right time, with the right info for me:
a) Knowing I was not alone, when staying the course was difficult to do, in years 2000 (VG Diehards site or Bogleheads) and 2008, before and after my retirement date.
b) New to me, annual tIRA to Roth IRA conversions in early retirement. (Thanks to Celia and other BHs)
c) I hadn't considered delaying SS while striving for early retirement. BH info changed that to SS at 70, which now looks wise as inflation heats up.
d) Probably here, I found a well-researched slightly variable portfolio spending method suits me better than the often too-conservative 4% SWR method.
Note how the last three have nuances that may not fit every retiree's preferences, but they were right for my situation and were found by reading here on topics other than just one-and-done allocating.
For the OP, yes, there is a retiree slant to many of the postings here.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

Great place to pick up rich girls!

Happy hunting

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

As an information source for investing, personal finance, and retirement planning, boglehead forum is the cat's meow. Members are unfailingly helpful. Moderation is excellent. Excellent advice is available on just about any subject as members have realized that those who utilize this forum are particularly sharp and good-natured. Not enough positive things can be said about this forum. Seriously.
Parkinglotracer

Re: Why are you wasting time on boglehead forum?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

goingup wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:30 pm To share my old person experience with youngsters. :D
+1

As the saying goes there has to be a student before there can be a teacher -lol.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

dougger5 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:38 pm After 7 years or so, yeah, there is a bit of repetition of topics. But I continue to come across the odd thing I didn't know that I didn't know.
+1

Exactly
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
celia

Post by celia »

. . . because there are still a few people out there who haven't started Roth conversions!
:oops:
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Wait....this is the Bogleheads forum?????? :oops:

Thanks, OP. I must have been lost.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Because I don’t know what I don’t know.
Learning from others’ mistakes.
Reading a few of the posters here is like attending a college course.
Why did I feel the need to respond to this? I don’t know.
riverant

Post by riverant »

“All” my time is a poor choice of words for me, but the main benefits aside from learning myself is

1) BH is the only place I’ve found on the internet that features intelligent and respectful conversation. Some of it is the content - I imagine unintelligent rude people discuss things other that personal finance optimization.

2) because #1 is a rare topic to discuss in general, BH is the only place I can without coming across as a boor or snobby about my fortunate NW. Most people would be turned off from “hey, so I maxed all my tax deferred accounts, should I switch to Roth or encourage my wife to do the same?” Type question.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I treat time on Bogleheads as a semi-productive leisure activity. It's a substitute for things like Netflix, as opposed to productive work. I consider discussing finances with others to be fun and relaxing, with the additional benefit that it keeps me disciplined during stock market downturns and portfolio reviews.

I will certainly admit that I could be working on more productive pursuits with my time, but I value the ability to recharge after work. I also have personal projects outside of work, but even if I were to cut out leisure time, I feel like I still wouldn't be able to give them the time they need to be super productive. I consider them long-term projects that i will work on full-time after FIRE.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Since get answers to most tasks, discussions here, like selecting colleges, how to cook oatmeal, to what to fry in air fryer, so I check regularly.

Also share my thoughts as needed in the topics I have something to contribute.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Volando

Post by Volando »

Because there’s a lot to learn from others! :idea:
steve r

Post by steve r »

Habbit "Staying the course." :beer

On asset allocation, I learned a lot early on, then BH reinforced what I learned. Now it challenges me on what I might do if X, Y, or Z occurs. For example, I slowly go rid of my low vol. tilt, which had served me well, but I was uneasy ...

On other issues, I am generally learnings.

My post count and reading the site did spike in pandemic, and it sort of continued.
Last edited by steve r on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I'm still waiting and hoping that noise in the attic gets resolved. Noise in the Attic

And hoping for the return of The Munchkin Man
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It was resolved here: Re: Noise in my attic
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
markjk

Post by markjk »

To try and help others and learn new things. I've always had an interest in finance/investing so I enjoy the various conversations.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

For all the computer and air fryer questions. :mrgreen:
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 pm
Spooky wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm The book recommendations on the "What are you reading" thread.
Indeed. I like being a member of a group where I’m not the best read person.

In all seriousness, this is the smartest group of people on the internet. I learn about new laws and regulations, some of which actually affect me, the latest in academic research, and whether the market is soaring or in free fall.

Most of the time I stay, though, because of the $5000 watches and 3 car garages.
And suggestions about how to cook oatmeal!

But mostly because of the breadth and depth of knowledge and intelligent suggestions from other members here.
And also, I think, a bit of a sense of virtual camaraderie.

And occasional flashes of "laugh out loud when you are alone" humor :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Because I like the never ending discussions regarding

- to tilt or not to tilt
- the value or worthlessness of CAPE
- international or no?
- Gold or no?

When reading this forum I'm often reminded of a line from Jude Law's character in the movie "Cold Mountain" - "Repeating a thing doesn't improve it".

Seriously, though, because
1. I'm an engineer and I really enjoy the more technical discussions.
2. I've learned a lot
3. It's not the wild-west of Reddit. Thanks Moderators! :beer
Last edited by dcabler on Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Because of a concept that applies in multiple areas of life. Basically, there are many complex issues we deal with daily, investing being one. As with other complex issues, a key is the lack of absolute knowledge and the related uncertainty that exists with any evolving and complex topic. Though there are general principles in complex areas, there are no absolutes other than the ones we declare to be so. Believing there are no absolutes in investing, that there are different requirements for different phases of investing, that there is always something to learn, I continue to make efforts to find a balance between a sustainable process and avoiding dogma. That's in addition to simply enjoying such an informative site with such giving people.

Tim