"Mid-Career" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
asilenthope

"Mid-Career" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by asilenthope »

Hello all Bogleheads!

This is the master thread for the "Mid-Career" stage of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series!

The new Life Stage Chapters are geared towards personal finance issues and topics particularly relevant to a specific stage in our investing life, and are designed to complement the already existing geographic-based Bogleheads Chapters.

We also sincerely thank Gail Cox for her tireless work in creating, organizing and coordinating these new chapters over these past months - she’s amazing and deserves a round of applause! :happy

The "Mid-Career” Life Stage mission: is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards investors with some experience of any age and investors who are more established with their finances and careers.

Topics may include -
Banking, budgeting and your emergency fund
Credit and managing debt
Work-related financial choices
Housing-related choices
Insurance
Investing: the basics
DIY investing
Families (parents, partners, spouses, children or other relatives)

Common mid-level-investor issues we will cover -
-- What is lifestyle creep? How can I avoid it?
-- Do I need an emergency fund? How big should it be?
-- Should I pay off my debt or invest now? Can/Should I do both?
-- Should I continue to contribute to my 401k? How much should I be contributing?
-- How much is “too much house”? Should I reduce my commute?
-- What is an “Umbrella Liability” insurance policy? Do I need one?
-- Am I saving/investing “enough”? Will it really make a difference if I save/invest less now?
-- How can I get my will created? Power of Attorney? Guardians for my children?
-- Should I get a 529 or a custodial account for my child(ren)?

Our meetings will be posted on this Master Thread. They will also be posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events, the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters thread, and on the Bogleheads Local Chapter threads hosting the meeting.

All Bogleheads are invited to all the meetings - we hope you will join us!

Your Mid-Career Chapter Coordinators,
Robert, S and Tim (RST :) )
gailcox

Re: "Mid-Career" Life Stage Virtual Chapter "Master Thread"

Post by gailcox »

Thank you, Stephanie, Bob and Tim, for stepping up to co-lead this exciting Life Stage Chapter. We are looking forward to your virtual meetings!

Gail
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

asilenthope wrote: Hello all Bogleheads!

This is the master thread for the "Mid-Career" stage of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series!

The new Life Stage Chapters are geared towards personal finance issues and topics particularly relevant to a specific stage in our investing life, and are designed to complement the already existing geographic-based Bogleheads Chapters.

We also sincerely thank Gail Cox for her tireless work in creating, organizing and coordinating these new chapters over these past months - she’s amazing and deserves a round of applause! :happy

The "Mid-Career” Life Stage mission: is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards investors with some experience of any age and investors who are more established with their finances and careers.

Topics may include -
Banking, budgeting and your emergency fund
Credit and managing debt
Work-related financial choices
Housing-related choices
Insurance
Investing: the basics
DIY investing
Families (parents, partners, spouses, children or other relatives)

Common mid-level-investor issues we will cover -
-- What is lifestyle creep? How can I avoid it?
-- Do I need an emergency fund? How big should it be?
-- Should I pay off my debt or invest now? Can/Should I do both?
-- Should I continue to contribute to my 401k? How much should I be contributing?
-- How much is “too much house”? Should I reduce my commute?
-- What is an “Umbrella Liability” insurance policy? Do I need one?
-- Am I saving/investing “enough”? Will it really make a difference if I save/invest less now?
-- How can I get my will created? Power of Attorney? Guardians for my children?
-- Should I get a 529 or a custodial account for my child(ren)?

Our meetings will be posted on this Master Thread. They will also be posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events, the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters thread, and on the Bogleheads Local Chapter threads hosting the meeting.

All Bogleheads are invited to all the meetings - we hope you will join us!

Your Mid-Career Chapter Coordinators,
Robert, S and Tim (RST :) )
This fills in the Life Strategy Virtual Chapters!!
- Starting Out
- Mid-Career/Accumulators
- Pre-retirement/Early Retirement
- Retirement

Thank you for organizing and posting - we look forward to your interesting and helpful meetings :happy
Miriam2

Re: "Mid-Career" Life Stage meeting- Christine Benz- Tue 10/5/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The first "Mid-Career" Life Stage meeting will be on Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. :happy

8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 pm Central
6:00 pm Mountain
5:00 pm Pacific

The meeting will feature Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar, on "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage." The meeting topics will cover mid-career accumulators and those just starting out in investing & asset allocation, newly marrieds, growing families, staying out of debt & lifestyle creep, teaching our kids about money, insurance & estate planning, and helping our aging parents. She will explain that while these years of our lives can be complicated, our financial and investment life shouldn't be.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing are welcome to come!

RSVP & Ask Q Link
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
All responses are anonymous.

Zoom Link
The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Looking forward to a very nice meeting :happy
Miriam2

Boston Chapter meeting- Balanced Lifetime Portfolios- Sat 4/23/22- 12:00 noon ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Mid-Career Accumulators!

Everyone is invited to the Boston Bogleheads next zoom meeting on Sat. April 23, 2022, at 12:00 noon ET - Chris Pederson, Director of Research at The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, will give a presentation on: Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios - 2022 Update.

Chris will present several very simple portfolios that achieve diversification across industries, geographies, stocks, bonds, and various equity premium factors. He'll also cover 2 Funds for Life strategies that augment target-date funds to reduce risk with age, increase expected returns, raise safe withdrawal rates, and achieve higher overall survival rates. Finally, he'll compare past performance to more complex approaches and show that complexity is not a necessity in accumulation or retirement. The presentation will be followed by Q&A, with ample time for discussion.

This meeting is open to all Bogleheads :happy

Here is the zoom link for this meeting, and the full link is also posted on the the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/. NOTE- jot down the Meeting ID and Passcode on a stickie because Zoom may require you to enter them to join the meeting.

If you have any questions, please contact the Bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Zoom meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series - Chris Pedersen on Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios- 2022

Links to the slides and chat are in the show notes.

All of our YouTube meetings are in the blog. See: Virtual online chapter presentations
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Miriam2

Re: BH Zoom Meeting- Setting Children Up For Financial Success- Wed 5/18/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Mid-Career Accumulators!

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter will be hosting a zoom meeting you may be interested in on Wed. May 18, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is: "Setting Your Children Up For Financial Success" :moneybag

8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 pm Central
6:00 pm Mountain
5:00 pm Pacific

There are many things parents and guardians can do to help set their children up for financial success in life. This meeting will present a variety of topics regarding the financial education of young children to young adults. Since there is often no one way to do things that works for every child :greedy participants are encouraged to share what has worked or not worked with their family and the lessons learned along the way.

You can RSVP for the meeting and submit questions here on the RSVP Link. All responses are anonymous. The meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

Here is the Zoom link and the full zoom link is posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events. Please remember to jot down the Meeting ID and Passcode in case zoom asks for it.
Miriam2

Mid-Career Accumulators meeting with JL Collins-"The Simple Path to Wealth"- Wed 6/15/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

"There are many things money can buy, but the most valuable of all is freedom. Freedom to do what you want and to work for whom you respect."
-- JL Collins

The "Starting Out" and "Mid-Career Accumulators" Life Stage Chapters are delighted to host JL (Jim) Collins, author of "The Simple Path to Wealth," for exciting conversation and Q&A at the next zoom meeting on Wed. June 15, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET :D

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring well-known and delightfully engaging personal finance author JL Collins on creating your own road map to financial independence and a rich, free life.
"Life choices are not always about the money, but you should always be clear about the financial impact of the choices you make."
JL Collins' first book, "The Simple Path to Wealth," was published in 2016 and has been an international best-seller and a Bogleheads favorite. JL's latest book is "How I Lost Money in Real Estate Before it Was Fashionable." :mrgreen: He blogs about financial and other matters at www.JLCollinsnh.com.

Although this program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career and mid-career accumulators, all Bogleheads are welcome to join and ask Qs 8-)

You can submit Qs ahead of time HERE. All responses are anonymous. The meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

Here is the Zoom link - and the link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. Please jot down the meeting ID and passcode in case Zoom asks for it.

"If you understand money, life is easier.
If you don't understand money, life is incredibly difficult."

-- JL Collins
Miriam2

Re: Reminder- meeting with JL Collins- Wed 6/15/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the zoom meeting with JL (Jim) Collins, author of "The Simple Path to Wealth," tonight, Wed. June 15, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET :D

See above thread ^^^ for details.

"Everybody makes money when the market is rising. But what determines whether it will make you wealthy or leave you bleeding on the side of the road is what you do during the times it is collapsing."
-- JL Collins

Here is the Zoom link - and the link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. Please jot down the meeting ID and passcode in case Zoom asks for it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder to make sure that your Zoom app is up to date. See: Upgrading Zoom to the latest version
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded meeting is now on YouTube.

See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Q & A with JL Collins

A link to the chat is in the show notes.

A concise summary of the chapters' meeting content is available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations

If anyone wants to help spread "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle" to the internet, click on the "Like" button and / or subscribe to the channel. This helps by putting the YouTube channel higher in the search engine results.
Miriam2

Re: Estate Planning Basics- Wed Sept 13, 2023 at 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join the Starting Out Life Stage Chapter and the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter for a zoom meeting on Wed. Sept.13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is Estate Planning Basics - Setting Up Your Estate Plans and will cover all the key components of putting together your estate plans. This meeting is appropriate for all Bogleheads in all life stages.

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, wills & trusts, supplemental needs trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives & living wills, estate administration, elder care planning, and guardianships. He has also served as trustee of various trusts, and guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons.

This is Part I of a Two-Part series with Summerfield. Part II will focus on Elder Care and "Things you wish you knew about taking care of aging parents." (The date for the Part II presentation has not been set.)

Summerfield is a delightful speaker and there will be ample time for Q & A.

You can submit Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded, but the Q & A portion will not be recorded.

Here is the Zoom link - and the full zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

We hope you can join us for this very engaging and important meeting :happy
Miriam2

Re: Reminder for meeting- "Estate Planning Basics" - Wed 9-13-2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Estate Planning Basics - Setting Up Your Estate Plans zoom meeting this Wed. Sept. 13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET -

8:00 pm Eastern | 7:00 pm Central | 6:00 pm Mountain | 5:00 pm Pacific

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, wills & trusts, supplemental needs trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives & living wills, estate administration, elder care planning, and guardianships. He has also served as trustee of various trusts, and guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons.

See above thread ^^^ for Zoom links and Ask Your Q link. 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Setting Up Your Estate Plans

The anonymized meeting chat and survey results have been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... A?e=b57wx1 <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/ETwLdEy0Ju9AjpDMv4muZbQBY-satIe-ErxUClCjFEbtdA?e=b57wx1
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Miriam2

Re: Elder Care Planning- Wed Oct 25, 2023 at 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello Mid-career Bogleheads and those chugging along in your investing life :happy There is also something else to plan for . . .

The Starting Out Life Stage Chapter is hosting a zoom meeting with the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter on Wed. Oct. 25, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is Elder Care Planning: Things you wish you knew about taking care of aging parents. This meeting is appropriate for all Bogleheads in all life stages and all Bogleheads are invited.

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, health directives and proxies and living wills, elder care planning, guardianships, custody, and handling incapacitation and end-of-life situations. He has served as guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons, and as trustee for numerous trusts.

This is Part II of the Two-Part Series with Summerfield. Please see below ** for the Part I meeting video on Estate Planning.

Summerfield is a delightful speaker with a wealth of experience, and there will be plenty of time for Q & A.

You can also submit Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be video recorded, but the Q & A portion will be audio recorded only.

Here is the Zoom link - and the full zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

If you have any Qs about using zoom or attending our on-line meetings, please let me know 8-)

** Our Part I meeting was held on Wed. Sept. 13, 2023, and covered Estate Planning Basics- all the key components or building blocks of understanding, putting together and setting up your estate plans. The Part I meeting was recorded and you can find it now on the Bogleheads YouTube video series- Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Setting Up Your Estate Plans.

The Part I meeting Chat has also been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site-
https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... A?e=b57wx1 <-- NOTE- this address will be different than what you see in your web browser & the first slide may say "not available," (don't panic, keep watching).
Miriam2

Reminder for meeting- "Elder Care Planning" - Wed 10-25-2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Elder Care Planning: Things you wish you knew about taking care of aging parents meeting this Wed. Oct. 25, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET -

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, health directives and proxies and living wills, elder care planning, guardianships, and handling incapacitation and end-of-life situations. He has served as guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons, and as trustee for numerous trusts.

This meeting is for all Bogleheads and should be an informative discussion on taking care of this "time of life."

See above thread ^^^ for Zoom links and Ask Your Q link. 8-)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:12 pm The recorded meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Taking care of your parents – Open Q&A

To protect anonymity, only the audio portion of the meeting was published.

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... w?e=CZzVkH <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser (don't panic if the first slide says not available, keep watching!)

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/EV-zHTe8mdROgrx_M3ZJc9cBm_gvO7cAbWg2vOhFPdX2Fw?e=CZzVkH
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Thank you LadyGeek!
Miriam2

Grandma Sylvia's Financial Journey- meeting Wed Nov 8, 2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

"The biggest impediment to my getting started was that I had no confidence in myself as an investor." -- Grandma Sylvia
Please join the Bogleheads Starting Out Life Stage Chapter and the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter for an on-line meeting with Grandma Sylvia and how she educated herself "from a terrified non-investor to a joyful, confident one." :happy

Date & Time: Wed Nov. 8, 2023 - 8:00 pm ET

Topic: Sylvia Auton's journey from surviving the loss of her husband to learning how to successfully manage her own finances

All Bogleheads are welcome for this interesting discussion of starting out late in life as a novice investor of your family's money following a major family upheaval and learning how to gain knowledge and confidence in managing your own money.

Here is the Ask Your Q link for Q's you would like to ask Grandma Sylvia; it's not necessary to rsvp to come to the meeting. There also will be ample time during the meeting for discussion and Q & A.

Here is the zoom link for the meeting; the zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events

Let us know if you have any questions about meetings or zoom 8-)
"I hope learning about this journey of mine, when I went from a terrified non-investor to a comfortable investor, will enable other beginning investors to take a quicker, smoother path to investing success." -- Grandma Sylvia
Miriam2

Reminder- zoom meeting tomorrow- Wed Nov 8, 2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the on-line meeting - Grandma Sylvia's financial journey from a terrified investor to a confident one - tomorrow Wed. Nov. 8, 2023, 8:00 pm ET. Please see above thread ^^^ for details.

Taylor Larimore recently posted this on the forum about Grandma Sylvia (Sylvia Auton) -
Bogleheads:

I enjoyed Sylvia's book very much. She writes at a level that makes successful investing easy to understand.

Bogleheads can read important excerpts here.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn from the experience of others – it’s cheaper.”
viewtopic.php?t=64383&start=600#p7531914

In addition, Mel Lindauer posted this on the forum about Sylvia's book and quoted Jack Bogle, who apparently read her book prior to publication:
"I also reviewed Sylvia's book prior to publication and think she's done a great job with a target market that may well be under-served. I'm sure that many readers will be able to see themselves in many/most of Sylvia's situations.

It's interesting to note that Jack Bogle had this to say about her book:

"While there are a few women-authored books about the stock market, I know of no such memoirs. You may be the first.
-- Jack Bogle"
Miriam2

Re: Meeting on Healthcare Options Pre-Medicare- Wed Nov 15, 2023-8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join us on Wed. Nov. 15, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET for the zoom meeting on Healthcare Options for Pre-Retirees & Retirees Pre-Medicare, including the ACA rules, the ACA subsidies, Cobra and other healthcare options before Medicare kicks in. The meeting is hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter and the Chicago Bogleheads.

Finding good health care during the period between retirement and the beginning of Medicare can be daunting. Finding good health care at any time if you don't have access through employment can be daunting. This meeting will present and discuss the many options available during this period, including logging into the ACA and displaying the subsidy rules. There also will be some discussion about the End Surprise Billing Act and income issues that affect you once you hit Medicare. All Bogleheads in various life stages are welcome to come and share their experiences finding healthcare during this pre-Medicare period.

:arrow: Save the date for Wed. Dec. 13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET when the Chicago Bogleheads host a meeting on Medicare.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Grandma Sylvia's Financial Journey- meeting Wed Nov 8, 2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:48 am
"The biggest impediment to my getting started was that I had no confidence in myself as an investor." -- Grandma Sylvia
Please join the Bogleheads Starting Out Life Stage Chapter and the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter for an on-line meeting with Grandma Sylvia and how she educated herself "from a terrified non-investor to a joyful, confident one." :happy

Date & Time: Wed Nov. 8, 2023 - 8:00 pm ET

Topic: Sylvia Auton's journey from surviving the loss of her husband to learning how to successfully manage her own finances
The meeting is now on YouTube. See: 0:06 / 1:38:07 Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Sylvia Auton's journey to successfully manage her own finances

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... g?e=SigYfx <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/EXdfIrqw_mdOnxYQrdIAiF0ByjOMQqeoKaNgIswDET8leg?e=SigYfx
There were only a few comments in the chat.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the zoom meeting this Wed. Nov. 15, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET on Healthcare Options Before Medicare

The topic includes the ACA, Cobra and other healthcare options before Medicare kicks in at age 65.

Please see above post ^^^^^ for more details.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:13 am Reminder for the zoom meeting this Wed. Nov. 15, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET on Healthcare Options Before Medicare

The topic includes the ACA, Cobra and other healthcare options before Medicare kicks in at age 65.

Please see above post ^^^^^ for more details.
How does one watch this if they don’t have zoom? I’d like to, but I don’t have zoom.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To attend the meeting "live", you'll need Zoom. See: Download Center for Zoom Apps and Plugins | Zoom and download the desktop client. For cellphones, download the Zoom app on Android or Apple.

You can also wait a few days for the recorded meeting to be uploaded to YouTube.

If you need assistance installing Zoom, start a thread in the personal consumer issues forum.
WhitePuma

Post by WhitePuma »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:33 pm To attend the meeting "live", you'll need Zoom. See: Download Center for Zoom Apps and Plugins | Zoom and download the desktop client. For cellphones, download the Zoom app on Android or Apple.

You can also wait a few days for the recorded meeting to be uploaded to YouTube.

If you need assistance installing Zoom, start a thread in the personal consumer issues forum.
I’m glad it is saved in YouTube since I couldn’t attend the zoom session. Could you post a link to the YouTube recording once it is up?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, I'll post a link in this thread. Give us a few days to process.
Miriam2

The Mad Fientist Returns!- online meeting- Wed 1/31/2024- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter will host THE MAD FIENTIST RETURNS! on Wed. Jan 31, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET. 8-)

*** pronounced fi-entist, like scientist, but a Fientist: "One who studies Financial Independence."

Please join us for what is sure to be a very interesting discussion with THE MAD FIENTIST on achieving the dream of Financial Independence Retiring Early (FIRE), then becoming a first-time parent :beer and also becoming a first-time home-owner :moneybag

The Bogleheads hosted The Mad Fientist on Aug. 30, 2021 , for a wonderful discussion of achieving the dream of Financial Independence and Retiring Early, the highs and lows of financial independence and early retirement, how to achieve a balanced life, budgeting and spreadsheets, withdrawal and rebalancing strategies, and much more. Now he returns as a father and a homeowner. We'll hear his reflections on how the Financial Independence Retiring Early (FIRE) turned out as he moved on in life.

This meeting is appropriate for all Life Stages and all Bogleheads are invited to join.

You can submit your Qs ahead of time HERE - or type them into the zoom chat window during the Q&A session. All responses are anonymous. It's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

HERE is the zoom link - and the full zoom link is also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join the meeting!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join the Pre/Early Retirement and Retirement Life Stage Chapters as they present Part II of the open Roundtable Discussion Part II: Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees zoom meeting on Wed. Feb. 21, 2024, at 8:00 pm ET. This meeting is Part II of the 2-part series.

*** Part I of the Roundtable Discussion was held on Wed Feb. 7, 2024. To encourage candid discussion, neither Part I nor Part II zoom meetings are recorded.

Both meetings use the Bogleheads Conference videos from the 2023 Bogleheads Conference in Baltimore. These videos contain excellent presentations and discussions about retirement for pre-retirees and retirees. To leverage this wealth of material, the meeting will discuss this video - which you can view here before the meeting - Bogleheads® Conference 2023 - "Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees: A Roundtable Discussion." The zoom meeting format gives everyone the opportunity to participate in the video discussion and ask questions about retirement topics.

Topics from the second half of the Conference video that will be covered on Feb 21 include:

-- Pre-retirees: traditional or Roth retirement contributions
-- Tax-efficient drawdown strategy
-- Pay off home mortgage before retirement?
-- Funded ratio tool for retirement readiness
-- Retirement contributions when one spouse is still working
-- Spend more now and also work longer?
-- How often to take distributions in retirement
-- Best DIY tools for retirement planning

Targeted audience: Pre/Early Retirement & Retirement Life Stages - but everyone is always welcome. Retirement will be here before you know it :shock:

HERE is the zoom link for the Part II meeting on Feb. 21, 2024, and the full zoom link is below and also posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Miriam2

The Bogle Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: PART 2 Discussion- Advice for Pre-Retirees & Retirees- from BH Conference 2023
Time: Wed Feb 21, 2024 - 8:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting -
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89608990558?p ... UBXl0iG6.1

Meeting ID: 896 0899 0558
Passcode: 439278

One tap mobile
+13052241968,,89608990558#,,,,*439278# US
+13126266799,,89608990558#,,,,*439278# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
• +1 305 224 1968 US
• +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
• +1 646 931 3860 US
• +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
• +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
• +1 309 205 3325 US
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
• +1 669 900 6833 US (Sc

Meeting ID: 896 0899 0558
Passcode: 439278

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbg7mXiuLJ

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series –Discussion Part II: Advice for Pre-Retirees and Retirees (audio only)

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site.

Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... A?e=XvK6hr <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/EdSR03CD7FdMkOKNNwZu1MQBJYlKCaVasEHdmA3M3GIF5A?e=XvK6hr
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The "Retired" Life Stage (and Tampa Bay) Chapters are jointly hosting a very special Zoom meeting on Wed, Mar 13, from 8 - 10 PM (Eastern) that should be relevant for the "Mid-Career" folks, as well as Bogleheads at ALL Life Stages.

5 PM Pacific | 6 PM Mountain | 7 PM Central | 8 PM Eastern

Format: Special guest Betsy Pecor, CFA, recently retired following a successful career as an ACTIVE Small/Mid Cap Portfolio Manager. She'll share investing perspectives as a former "Wall Street Insider" with takeaways for Bogleheads at ALL Life Stages, followed by open Q&A. The meeting will be recorded, and participants (anonymously, if desired) will be able to submit questions following her presentation.

Topic: Some areas she'll cover include:
  • An "Insiders" perspective of the world of Small Caps
  • Transitioning, as a new retiree, from being an ACTIVE portfolio manager to a PASSIVE investor
  • Why an Investment Process is KEY, for DIY'ers and Active Managers alike
Targeted audience: Bogleheads at ALL life stages

Zoom link:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86036082879?p ... g1FVn8My.1

Meeting ID: 860 3608 2879
Passcode: 631295

One tap mobile
+13052241968,,86036082879#,,,,*631295# US
+13092053325,,86036082879#,,,,*631295# US

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbNReSYyVH
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just a quickie reminder about this Zoom meeting tomorrow night, with guest Betsy Pecor, CFA sharing perspectives on her "Journey from ACTIVE Portfolio Manager to Retired PASSIVE Investor." This should be relevant for Bogleheads of all ages and Life Stages. Full details in post above.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)