July 4th, the anniversary of "The Declaration of Independence" from England

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

July 4th, the anniversary of "The Declaration of Independence" from England

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

It is important for us to understand the real meaning of July 4th, "Independence Day." On that day in 1776, fifty-six brave American patriots risked their lives by signing the Declaration of Independence. They knew they would be charged with "high treason" against the King of England and be executed. Nevertheless, they declared that the thirteen American colonies would no longer be subject to the monarch of Britain, King George III, and that we were now united, free, and independent states.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
nedsaid

Re: July 4th, the anniversary of "The Declaration of Independence" from England

Post by nedsaid »

Happy 4th of July, Taylor. Many best wishes, Ned.
A fool and his money are good for business.
esqu1re

Post by esqu1re »

We've come a long way as a country. We have a long way to go still, but our system is set up to allow us to do it! Happy 4th!
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

It also happens to be the 100th anniversary of the ball at the Overlook Hotel in the Shining

https://snippetofhistory.wordpress.com/ ... e-shining/
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Happy Fourth of July, Taylor!

Thank you so much for your service for our country!!
firetexan

Post by firetexan »

Happy July 4th to all!

Best wishes to you and thank you for your services, Taylor!
renegade06

Post by renegade06 »

Thanks for that wonderful note and for the reminder!
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Happy Independence Day, Taylor! Thank you for your service.

History doesn't repeat itself but it certainly rhymes.

Interesting how these patterns repeat themselves over time.

America has survived 245 years, most in history only last about 200.

Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee was born in October, 1747. He was a Scottish historian who served as Professor of Universal History at the University of Edinburgh. He noted that democracies around the world had patterns. In his studies he said they all go the same way from start to finish to rebirth.

“The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to DEPENDENCE; From dependence back into bondage.” - Alexander Fraser Tytler

Maybe since the Founding Fathers set up a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy, we got some extra years?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

For quite a few years my wife and I drove down to Boulder City for their Dambouree. Pancake breakfast and meeting politicians.

I remember Mimi Mayagi rolling in a limo when she was a gubernatorial candidate in 2006.

Anyway, when we drove there (and sometimes on the way back), we listened to the Grateful Dead - U.S. Blues --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPOAhBp2Ag

Lyrics:

Red and white, blue suede shoes, I'm Uncle Sam, how do you do?
Gimme five, I'm still alive, ain't no luck, I learned to duck.
Check my pulse, it don't change. Stay seventy-two come shine or rain.
Wave the flag, pop the bag, rock the boat, skin the goat.
Wave that flag, wave it wide and high.
Summertime done, come and gone, my, oh, my.

I'm Uncle Sam, that's who I am; Been hidin' out in a rock and roll band.
Shake the hand that shook the hand of P.T. Barnum and Charlie Chan.
Shine your shoes, light your fuse. Can you use them ol' U.S. Blues?
I'll drink your health, share your wealth, run your life, steal your wife.
Wave that flag, wave it wide and high.
https://www.google.com/search?q=us+blue ... e&ie=UTF-8
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

cbeck wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:26 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:38 pm Bogleheads:

It is important for us to understand the real meaning of July 4th, "Independence Day." On that day in 1776, fifty-six brave American patriots risked their lives by signing the Declaration of Independence. They knew they would be charged with "high treason" against the King of England and be executed. Nevertheless, they declared that the thirteen American colonies would no longer be subject to the monarch of Britain, King George III, and that we were now united, free, and independent states.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
I have always thought it peculiar that a government whose foundational document was in its entirety a defense of a natural right of secession should have decided to wage war against those of its states which, without violating any provision of the Constitution, had decided to secede.
From the Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Happy 4th of July everyone!
cheers,
grok
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice".
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

First what has become a historical footnote: much of the intro from the Declaration of Independence was taken from what George Mason wrote in the Virginia Declaration of Rights:

Section 1. That all men are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... -of-rights

But perhaps of interest to history buffs is what really happened on July 4? Not even the Founders were sure after a few decades. Who was there, who signed what and when confused them. After all, different copies have different signatures; some of the signers were not even there on July 2, 3 or 4th:

https://allthingsliberty.com/2017/10/de ... s-history/

A copy of the Declaration of Independence was recently found in an attic in Scotland. Many of the signers were presented with copies later that summer - 201 copies were made by William Stone and this is now one of the 48 know to exist. It was owned originally by Charles Carroll (he was given two) and was passed down in the family. It sold for $4.4M+.
https://www.sethkaller.com/declaration- ... iam-stone/

While Carroll's signature is on Stone's copies, he is one of the people who were not there on July 4, but who signed later.

(Richard Stockton signed the Declaration but after imprisonment and torture by the British, he swore loyalty to Britain; his legacy is thusly mixed. John Dickinson refused to sign the Declaration, but even so distinguished himself during the Revolution once the document was signed. Who knows how we would react? Personally, I have a portrait of both George Washington and George III in my home and fly Queen Anne's Flag often. A new biography of George III is due out in October.)
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:38 pm Bogleheads:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Happy Independence Day Taylor. As an aside, thank you for your service. The outcome of WW II was by no means assured, and your generation protected and defended, with tremendous sacrifice, the independence and freedom we continue to enjoy today.

All the best to you!

GoneOnTilt.