Juneteenth

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
FoolStreet

Juneteenth

Post by FoolStreet »

I thought I would share some info about Juneteenth today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

After the Emancipation Proclamation and the end of the civil war, some states still didn’t want to free the slaves. Granger said, “nuts!” And drove to Texas on June 19, 1865, to force the issue.

While not specifically actionable, today has national importance. And I will offer this: I have been advised that it is not proper etiquette to say things like, “Happy Juneteenth.” Rather use the day to acknowledge and research our history.
sc9182

Re: Juneteenth

Post by sc9182 »

Wish the best for generations to come - Juneteenth

Keep on Investing.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

It is a great day in American history. Glad to see it added to the list of Federal holidays.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters forum (Bogleheads community).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JustGotScammed

What are the best places to donate on Juneteenth?

Post by JustGotScammed »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Would like to know what you're doing on Juneteenth as far as charitable donations, volunteering, etc.
Gill

Re: What are the best places to donate on Juneteenth?

Post by Gill »

What would you suggest? What are you doing?
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

JustGotScammed wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am Would like to know what you're doing on Juneteenth as far as charitable donations, volunteering, etc.
We donate to our church and primarily local charities we are familiar with.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Local area food bank.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Haven’t thought about donating specific to Juneteenth.

Are there charities specifically associating with the holiday or the historic significance?
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged JustGotScammed's thread into the ongoing discussion.

Several suggestions with a political focus have been removed. Those posts are outside our forum guidelines.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Donations are I'm sure appreciated by any organization that takes them, but here's an idea.

Talk to a Black co-worker, neighbor, barber, or Uber driver and ask about their experience. Listen. Think.

(surely talking to someone is not political)
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

How is this actionable?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

got the day off from work yesterday for Juneteenth. gave blood yesterday. saved 3 lives.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

mptfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:39 pm How is this actionable?
It's a call to do things for people of color in Black people in particular.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I am doing nothing for Juneteenth. It ranks right up there with MLK Day, Washington’s Birthday, Veteran’s Day and Columbus Day, as federal “holidays” that I don’t get off from work. Well, in fairness, I had heard of those days before the last year or two.

I assume there aren’t any this year, but if we get some good Juneteenth sales next year maybe I’ll buy something.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's part of the Bogleheads community. For example, we have a thread for Memorial Day. See: "MEMORIAL DAY -- 2021"
grok87

Post by grok87 »

i'm glad Juneteenth is now a federal holiday. I take the point that it is inappropriate to say Happy Juneteenth.

Here is a link to WQXR's page on Composer Chevalier de Saint-Georges, a freed enslaved person.
https://www.wqxr.org/story/chevalier-de ... -all-them/

cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Juneteenth has been a Texas State Holiday for many many years.
https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/l ... /holidays/
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Iridium

Post by Iridium »

If you flip the holiday on its head, it is also a story of the dangers of being overly concentrated in a single asset: the value of the 'slave asset class' went to zero.

While it is unlikely that such a dramatic proclamation will happen in the future, there are plenty of industries today which have drawn large, politically active, detractors who find the activities/assets of those companies to be immoral. Concentrating on just a few companies/single industry exposes you to political risk that can be minimized with a diversified portfolio.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:56 pm
It's part of the Bogleheads community. For example, we have a thread for Memorial Day. See: "MEMORIAL DAY -- 2021"
I don't think the Memorial Day thread is actionable either. I thought posts that were not actionable were against the forum rules, I guess I was mistaken.
sandan

Post by sandan »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:48 am After the Emancipation Proclamation and the end of the civil war, some states still didn’t want to free the slaves.
I appreciate the post but would like to point out that an inanimate entity described by physical boundaries was not the problem. It was large groups of conscious people. This is why individual actions on a daily basis are important no matter where we live.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I find some irony in the Federal government giving themselves yet another paid day off, relative to the situation for most working people, and the ethos of this particular holiday.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

More off-topic posts were deleted. Thread has run its course.