"MEMORIAL DAY -- 2021"

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"MEMORIAL DAY -- 2021"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

Please remember the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

A Soldier Died Today

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “And never forget the important role of luck in your life. Never, never, never, never say, ‘I did it all myself.’ Nobody does it all themselves. And when somebody has the temerity to tell me they did, I say to them: ‘That’s wonderful. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anybody who did it all themselves, but could I ask you one question: How did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?’"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
dh

Re: "MEMORIAL DAY -- 2021"

Post by dh »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 pm Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

Please remember the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

A Soldier Died Today

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “And never forget the important role of luck in your life. Never, never, never, never say, ‘I did it all myself.’ Nobody does it all themselves. And when somebody has the temerity to tell me they did, I say to them: ‘That’s wonderful. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anybody who did it all themselves, but could I ask you one question: How did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?’"
Thank you for sharing this information, Taylor. Palpable.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

Thank you for your service to this great country that we are blessed to live in.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
Ace1

Post by Ace1 »

Taylor,
Thank you for reminding everyone of this.
And just as importantly, thank YOU, for your service, sir.
Ace
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

My wife and I watched the National Memorial Day Concert on PBS tonight as we try to do every year. Highly recommended - you can watch it here:

https://www.pbs.org/national-memorial-day-concert/

My thoughts to all those who died in service to our country and the loved ones left behind who must carry on without them.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Thank you, Taylor, for your service.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

:thumbsup :thumbsup
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Our flag will be at half-staff until 12:00 pm today in honor of our nation's battle heroes.

So much is owed by so many to so few. We are forever grateful for our freedom; bought and paid for by the blood of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

May God Bless America and those men and women who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Taylor, thanks for sharing and for serving. God bless America and all the people who have served and died protecting our freedoms.
Cernel

Post by Cernel »

Today is about remembering the ultimate sacrifice true Americans and their families have made over the years for us to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today, but as a fellow veteran, I want to thank you for your service and for posting this short clip in helping us to remember the true meaning of Memorial Day.
DB2

Post by DB2 »

Taylor, thank you for your service! The same to all of the other brave men and women who served.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

A big thank you to everyone who served in our military. Let's honor those who have died in service to our country.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Thank you to all who served and those who currently serve and thank you to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Thank you for your service.
DH and I went to cemetery on Saturday to pay tribute to my FIL. He was a WWII purple heart recipient. Glad to see boys scouts put so many American flags on the graves.
I'm going to wear my pretty stylish American flag dress today. I have flags in my front yard gardens. As an immigrant, I can't thank enough the great opportunities what this country gave me. I often tell my kid this is the greatest country on earth.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

My thanks, Taylor, for your post, the film, and the Jack Bogle quote, and my eternal gratitude for those like you who served in our nation’s wars to keep us free.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

It's always a good time to thank a veteran, but remember that today is Memorial Day.

It is a day to remember those who gave all.
The Sensible Steward
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters forum (community).

As Taylor noted in the first post, A Soldier Died Today puts things in perspective.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Thank you Taylor.

— for EVERYTHING!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

In the autumn of 2019, we travelled around the Eastern Shore of Maryland doing some family genealogy research. We visited cemetery after cemetery and did find a few family names. However what was overwhelming for us was seeing the stones, so many quite old, and many many quite new, marking graves all the service members who gave their lives in service to our country, from just that little corner of America.

So many have given so much.

My father actively served in 3 American conflicts, retiring from the navy in the early 70’s. He lived to a ripe age of 91. How lucky our family was.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

Semper Fidelis
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

A reminder that today is the Anniversary of D-Day, the largest amphibious assault in military history and the beginning of the liberation of France and the eventual defeat of Nazi Germany. Thought I would post here seeing that Memorial Day and the Anniversary of D-Day are just a few days apart in 2021. There are still a few survivors from that day and still a few World War II veterans still around, my guess is that 5% of the WWII veterans or less are still with us.
A fool and his money are good for business.