"Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

"Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello all Bogleheads!

This is the master thread for the "Starting Out" stage of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series!

The new Life Stage Chapters are geared towards personal finance issues and topics particularly relevant to a specific stage in our investing life, and are designed to complement the already existing geographic-based Bogleheads Chapters.

We sincerely thank Gail Cox for her tireless work in creating, organizing and coordinating these new chapters over these past months - no small feat, and all done with her characteristic upbeat, sunny outlook and smile, and her great organizational skills :happy

The "Starting Out" Life Stage mission: is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards novice investors of any age and young investors just getting started with their finances and careers.

Topics will include -
• Basics of investing & personal finance
• Bogleheads investing philosophy & Jack Bogle
• Asset allocation - assessing your risk tolerance, risk & return
• Costs matter - the impact of costs over time
• Creating & managing your portfolio, selecting funds, staying the course
• Budgeting & managing your money, insurance
• Long-term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking
• Saving & building wealth - compounding over time
• Basic taxes - for creating & managing your portfolio
• Roth conversions, back-door Roths, 401k & IRA rollovers
• Bear markets & recessions

Common new-investor issues we will cover -
-- Why do I have to save for retirement when I'm only in my 20's?
-- What - me worry? I'm 100% stocks and can handle any downturn!
-- What do I just do with this 401k list of funds so I can get on with my life?
-- I'm following my passion! but the salary is low & there's no 401k or health insurance.
-- We're only 26 - do we really need a will?
-- My brother-in-law is an insurance guy who has a good financial plan for us!
-- If I knew then what I know now - advice from senior Bogleheads.
-- Investing is a lifestyle - it's more than putting money in accounts, it's how you live your life.

Our meetings will be posted on this Master Thread. They will also be posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events, the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters thread, and on the Bogleheads Local Chapter threads hosting the meeting.

All Bogleheads are invited to all the meetings - we hope you will join us!

Your Starting Out Chapter Coordinators,
Gouri, Manny, Luke, Miriam2
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread

Post by Miriam2 »

Our first "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter presentation will feature Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing."

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST

Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller "Investing Made Simple," and other books in his "Made Simple" series, as well as the popular blog, ObliviousInvestor.com. He is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite.

Mike will discuss and take your Q's on the basics of investing and personal finance, including:
-- stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETF's, index funds vs. actively managed funds, target date funds, money market funds, CD's, etc.
-- types of accounts, asset classes
-- asset allocation, risk & return, diversification, creating portfolios
-- long term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking

Although the presentation is designed for novice investors of any age and beginning investors just starting out, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to come and ask Q's and provide their own personal experience with these topics at different levels of investing :happy

To receive the zoom link for this presentation - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter or to the South Florida Local Chapter or email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or send me a PM.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I've started Outline for starting out life stage in the wiki based on the first post. It links back to this topic via the Further reading section.

As the topic developers, the wiki article can be expanded and improved.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:20 pm I've started Outline for starting out life stage in the wiki based on the first post. It links back to this topic via the Further reading section.

As the topic developers, the wiki article can be expanded and improved.
Thank you Peculiar_Investor for getting us started in the wiki :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The "Starting Out" chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is happy to host its first presentation on Tues, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing." Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller, "Investing Made Simple."

Although our program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career, all Bogleheads are welcome to join us and ask Qs and provide their own personal experiences when they first "started out." 8-)

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, the San Antonio chapter at sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I assume you mean 8PM EDT not EST. Correct?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

daytona084 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:55 pm I assume you mean 8PM EDT not EST. Correct?
Yes, it's actually EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) not EST (Eastern Standard Time)

The time zones are still an hour apart either way, however, unless you live in Arizona or Hawaii -and then you know what to do 8-)
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 pm The "Starting Out" chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is happy to host its first presentation on Tues, April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EDT.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing." Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller, "Investing Made Simple."

Although our program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career, all Bogleheads are welcome to join us and ask Qs and provide their own personal experiences when they first "started out." 8-)

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, the San Antonio chapter at sanantoniobogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Bumping this for visibility. If you're in the "starting out" stage, join us tomorrow night! Or, if one of your loved ones is just starting out, watch with them. It should be a fun discussion. :)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm Bumping this for visibility. If you're in the "starting out" stage, join us tomorrow night! Or, if one of your loved ones is just starting out, watch with them. It should be a fun discussion. :)
Thank you Mike, we're looking forward to your presentation tonight!
ObliviousInvestor

Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

https://obliviousinvestor.com/wp-conten ... esting.pdf
https://obliviousinvestor.com/wp-conten ... sting.pptx
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:30 pm Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

Great informative presentation, Mike!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:30 pm Thanks again for the discussion this evening. It was a pleasure as always to meet with a Bogleheads group. As promised, the slides are below, in PowerPoint or pdf format. Feel free to distribute or reuse them as you please.

The PDF has been added to the wiki Outline for starting out life stage article in the External links section.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I should point out that our sister Canadian wiki, finiki, the Canadian financial wiki, has already developed Life Stage outlines.

This is a collaborative effort of the Canadian editors, Peculiar_Investor is an admin for both the Bogleheads and Canadian wikis. The current articles are:
Please feel free to use these articles as guides.

The Bogleheads investment philosophy is world-wide. You don't need Vanguard to do it.

Our sister Canadian forum, Financial Wisdom Forum, has been following this investment philosophy without Vanguard and has been around longer than the Bogleheads forum.

Disclaimer: I'm a member of both forums and am a wiki admin for both the Bogleheads and Canadian wikis.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.

Avg. Annual Return Worst Calendar Year
(1926 – 2019)

100% bonds 6.0% -8.1% (1969)
80% bonds, 20% stocks 7.1% -10.1% (1931)
70% bonds, 30% stocks 7.7% -14.2% (1931)
60% bonds, 40% stocks 8.1% -18.4% (1931)
50% bonds, 50% stocks 8.6% -22.5% (1931)
40% bonds, 60% stocks 9.0% -26.6% (1931)
30% bonds, 70% stocks 9.4% -30.7% (1931)
20% bonds, 80% stocks 9.7% -34.9% (1931)
100% stocks 10.2% -43.1% (1931)
ObliviousInvestor

kd2008 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.
The data is just historical data. It's not intended to be a projection of any sort.

If you're looking for projections, Vanguard puts out a document each year. Below is the 2021 edition. You can find their projections for various asset categories in Figures II-5 and II-6 on pages 38 and 40. Note that the projections are nominal and that their inflation projection is also included in the figure on page 40.
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindex ... 120920.pdf
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm
kd2008 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm Slide 31 - Can this info be adjusted for current treasury yields? Is there a way? There is practically zero chance that a 100% bond portfolio will have 6% annual return going forward at current yields.
The data is just historical data. It's not intended to be a projection of any sort.

If you're looking for projections, Vanguard puts out a document each year. Below is the 2021 edition. You can find their projections for various asset categories in Figures II-5 and II-6 on pages 38 and 40. Note that the projections are nominal and that their inflation projection is also included in the figure on page 40.
https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonindex ... 120920.pdf
Got it. Thank you.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Thank you, Mike, for a an excellent "Getting Started with Investing" presentation :happy

Of the many important lessons you pointed out, this one resonated with me: "There is no perfect portfolio. There are plenty of good-enough portfolios that will get you where you want to be and where you want to go. There is no best fund either. There are plenty of good, low cost funds, especially index funds, that will serve your purpose well."

This, of course, comes after I spent my pre-Bogle lifetime trying to create the perfect portfolio with the most perfect funds (or stocks :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread- Next meeting Paul Merriman 5/3/21

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter meeting will be on Mon. May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET and is hosted by the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and delightful speaker with lots to talk about :D

Paul's topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic, those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey. However, all Life Stages will benefit from this presentation, and we have asked Paul to spend some time specifically on portfolio creation for the "Starting Out" stage of young investors.

Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul wants to stress how much an extra ½ of a percent return can greatly increase the amount of wealth building power you have in your portfolio over a lifetime of investing. In this presentation, he will discuss "value based" investing strategies that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. This meeting is co-hosted by The Merriman Financial Education Foundation.

To register for this meeting -
Join the Bogleheads Forum in order to provide your Bogleheads’ username and then fill out the registration form to be added to the event distribution list.

Meeting Sign-up Form: We’re Talking Millions! Event Registration - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

If you would like to add this event to your Calendar: We're Talking Millions Event Reminder - https://calendar.google.com/event?

For further information about Paul Merriman and the Merriman Financial Education Foundation, and for links to articles and podcasts with information relevant to the presentation that will be given on May 3rd, please go to the hosting chapter Indiana Bogleheads chapter post HERE.

For the zoom link - email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

Please let us know if you have any questions :happy
Gouri, Manny, Luke, Miriam2
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Starting Out Chapter enjoyed last night's presentation with Paul Merriman and Chris Pedersen - many useful suggestions for young investors building their portfolios and building their working & investing life :happy

Some of the important take-aways for young investors are Paul's discussion of -
-- the "phenomenal impact early savings" - the first 5 years of savings are critical for building the foundation for compound growth for the rest of your investing life
-- you need to realize you are actually building your own retirement "pension" now when you are young
-- stocks are the gas of your portfolio and bonds are the bricks
-- stocks are riskier in the short term, but give you the gas for long term investing
-- the importance of index funds to provide more return due to lower expenses - and because they are dependable
-- the use of small cap value investing to increase the potential of lifetime returns, but the difficulty of staying the course with it
-- investing involves "so much emotion" :mrgreen:
-- your portfolio won't be exciting for the first 10 years or so because it's all about your contributions - after that, it gets exciting as your portfolio does things (makes you $$ :D

Thank you, Paul and Chris, for spending the evening with the Bogleheads!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter- Next Meeting Allan Roth 5/20/21 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next Starting Out Life Stage Chapter meeting is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics.

Although Allan's presentation will be valuable to all investors, beginners to experienced, we have asked Allan to spend some time specifically geared to the "Starting Out" stage of young investors.

The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or the SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar.

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 15, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The meeting time was off by an hour in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

Readers are accustomed to seeing meeting times in their own time zone. Since these notices span several time zones, I have corrected the San Antonio time zone in the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

To the meeting organizers: It is helpful to show more than one time zone so it's clear on exactly when the meeting starts. I have added the following to the meeting event and suggest that responses by email do likewise.

8 PM Eastern
7 PM Central
6 PM Mountain
5 PM Pacific

Meetings are open to anyone world-wide in any time zone.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage- Ron Lieber presentation 6/5/21

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for young people - or anyone college bound or in-college-debt.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Frugal"- Sat 7/10/2021- 10:30 am PT

Post by Miriam2 »

The Sacramento Area Bogleheads are presenting "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Frugal" 8-) on Sat 7/10/2021, 10:30 am Pacific Time.

This is a discussion of the myriad ways we can build and preserve wealth by living beneath one's means - sounds important for everyone and especially those just starting out and building good financial habits.

To register to join the zoom meeting, send an email to - Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com
The Sacramento BHs have nice, well-organized meetings :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage- Presentation by The FI Tax Guy- Thu 7/29/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Virtual Chapter is hosting Sean Mullaney, the FI (Financial Independence) Tax Guy, with a zoom presentation on tax planning on Thur. July 29, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET - and all Bogleheads are invited.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Sean Mullaney is a financial planner, CPA, and the President of Mullaney Financial & Tax, Inc., and a very knowledgeable and interesting speaker. Sean's website is www.fitaxguy.com :
"What is FI (Financial Independence)? Well, FI is not about “getting rich.” FI is getting control of your money and finances so that your life can revolve around far more important priorities."
Sean's presentation will be followed by a Q&A session. The presentation will be recorded, but the Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded. You may submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP below, or ask them in person or type them into the chat window during the meeting.

Note - you do not need to RSVP for the meeting to attend. However, use this RSVP to to submit your questions ahead of the meeting if you choose - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link - All RSVP responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Calendar of Events - click the blue "Zoom link" in the event posting. Send me a PM if you miss the link.

Thanks to the "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Chapter Coordinators, HoosierJim and DFWBogleheads, for this program :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage - Next Meeting- FiveK on "Prioritizing Investments"- 8/10/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Our next Starting Out Life Stage Chapter meeting is on Tues. August 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

We will host a zoom presentation by Boglehead FiveK on "Funding Priority - Prioritizing Investments, Investment Location, & Tax Implications" - what investments to place where and when and why.

Investors who are able to place their investments in different kinds of accounts, such as taxable accounts, 401(k)'s or IRA's, etc., need to decide which ones to prioritize. Investing in a prioritized order will maximize the tax efficiency of your portfolio. Although this meeting is useful for all Life Stages, this funding priority is especially important for those just starting out with investing.

FiveK is one of the Bogleheads who are currently revising the Bogleheads Wiki section on "Prioritizing Investments", and he also gave a Virtual Presentation on his Personal Financial ToolBox spreadsheets last March.

The presentation will be recorded, but the Q & A discussion following the presentation will not be recorded.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Calendar of Events - or email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here.

If you have questions about or difficulty with Zoom, please let us know - we have BH zoom techies who are eager to help everyone participate in and enjoy all these online meetings. :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder that our presentation with FiveK on Prioritizing Investments is tomorrow, Tues Aug 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

The Zoom link is on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

Please check to make sure you're using the current version of Zoom - you will have "a more enjoyable Zoom experience" :mrgreen: (Zoom's words).
Here's the link to the Zoom How-To Check for Updates.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Many thanks to FiveK for his helpful presentation on Prioritizing Investments :D

Here are some links mentioned during the meeting: Bogleheads Wiki on "Prioritizing Investments" and his March 31, 2021, Virtual Presentation on his Personal Financial ToolBox Spreadsheet

The recording of FiveK's presentation will be available on the BH Blog HERE - please note the Slides and Chat are already posted.

:arrow: Check out the new Bogleheads YouTube Channel which already has 50+ Bogleheads videos!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" Life Stage- Christine Benz presentation- Wed 8/25/2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter is hosting a presentation by Christine Benz on Wed. Aug. 25, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET.

Christine is the Director of Personal Finance and Senior Columnist at Morningstar, and is a Bogleheads favorite. She comes each year to our BH Conferences, spending hours meeting & chatting with everyone, and participating on the Panel of Experts :happy We have all benefited from her many wonderful interviews of Mr. Bogle, and her fine articles, books and podcasts.

Meeting topic - "Six Retirement Blind Spots and How to Fix Them"
Even the best-laid retirement plans can harbor hidden risks, including longevity risk, sequence-of-return risk, and underspending. Morningstar's Christine Benz will outline how to safeguard your portfolio and your plan against these risk factors. She will also share her favorite in-retirement mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and discuss her model bucket portfolios geared toward retirees.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting - never too early to know what lies ahead preparing for retirement 8-)

Here is more information about Christine -
-- She has been with Morningstar since 1993, and "has made educating the average investor the central goal of her 28-year career in finance."
-- Guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" Episode #004 (Dec. 2018)
-- In March 2020, Christine was named to Barron's Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance, and made
the list again in 2021 :D
Barron's wrote: Amid the pandemic, Christine Benz has adapted to a mostly online world and forged ahead with her calling: making complex investment topics clear and accessible. . . . She gives sound, practical advice, not just because she's a great analyst, but because she is willing to put herself in her readers' shoes.
You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat window during the Q&A session following the presentation. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

The Zoom link - also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" presentation - THE MAD FIENTIST- Mon 8/30/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Starting Out Life Stage Chapter will host THE MAD FIENTIST on Mon. Aug. 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. 8-)

*** pronounced fi-entist, like scientist, but a Fientist: "One who studies Financial Independence."

Please join us for what is sure to be a very interesting discussion with THE MAD FIENTIST on achieving the dream of Financial Independence, the highs and lows of Financial Independence, how to achieve a balanced life, budgeting and spreadsheets, withdrawal and rebalancing strategies, and much more!

This meeting is appropriate for all Life Stages and all Bogleheads are invited to join the meeting.

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the zoom chat window during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

HERE is the Zoom link - it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join the meeting! We'll ask him about "The Guinea Pig Experiment." :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for THE MAD FIENTIST presentation this coming Monday, August 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET!

8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 pm Central
6:00 pm Mountain
5:00 pm Pacific

Although it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting, please do so to submit your Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous.

Here is the Zoom link - and it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm The Zoom meeting is now on YouTube: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Mad Fientist Discusses Financial Independence
Thank you LadyGeek for posting this!

The recording and chat are also found in the Virtual Online Chapter Presentations on the BH Blog, along with the other recorded BH meetings.

We truly enjoyed hosting The Mad Fientist and learning about his path to financial independence and early retirement. He observed this achievement was not "the golden ticket to happiness" he anticipated, then discussed how he changed that around and what he learned from this. He also found his "innate scarcity mindset" makes it difficult for him to spend his money. Above all, a very interesting meeting with a very engaging person - who essentially invests in Taylor's Three Fund portfolio :happy

Thank you Gouri and Mad Fientist for this wonderful interview. We had 108 participants and we're looking forward to Mad Fientist's new spreadsheet 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: "Starting Out" presentation- Christine Benz on Investing Wisely- Tue Oct 5, 2021- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join us for our next presentation on Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. featuring Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar, on "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage."

This zoom presentation is hosted by the Mid-Career Accumulator Life Stage and the Starting Out Life Stage chapters.

The meeting topics will cover mid-career accumulators and those just starting out in investing & asset allocation, newly marrieds, growing families, staying out of debt & lifestyle creep, teaching our kids about money, insurance & estate planning, and helping our aging parents. She will explain that while these years of our lives can be complicated, our financial and investment life shouldn't be.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting! 8-)

Christine is a Bogleheads favorite and participates on the Panel of Experts at our Bogleheads Conferences. We have all benefited from her many wonderful interviews of Mr. Bogle, and her excellent articles, books and podcasts.

In March 2020, Christine was named to Barron's Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance and made the List again in 2021 :D

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Boston Chapter meeting- Balanced Lifetime Portfolios- Sat 4/23/22- 12:00 noon ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Everyone is invited to the Boston Bogleheads next zoom meeting on Sat. April 23, 2022, at 12:00 noon ET - Chris Pederson, Director of Research at The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, will give a presentation on: Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios - 2022 Update.

Chris will present several very simple portfolios that achieve diversification across industries, geographies, stocks, bonds, and various equity premium factors. He'll also cover 2 Funds for Life strategies that augment target-date funds to reduce risk with age, increase expected returns, raise safe withdrawal rates, and achieve higher overall survival rates. Finally, he'll compare past performance to more complex approaches and show that complexity is not a necessity in accumulation or retirement. The presentation will be followed by Q&A, with ample time for discussion.

This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and may be of special interest to those in the Starting Out Life Stage :happy

Here is the zoom link for this meeting, and the full link is also posted on the the https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/. NOTE- jot down the Meeting ID and Passcode on a stickie because Zoom may require you to enter them to join the meeting.

If you have any questions, please contact the Bogleheadsboston@gmail.com.
trallium

Re: Boston Chapter meeting- Balanced Lifetime Portfolios- Sat 4/23/22- 12:00 noon ET

Post by trallium »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:41 pm Everyone is invited to the Boston Bogleheads next zoom meeting on Sat. April 23, 2022, at 12:00 noon ET - Chris Pederson, Director of Research at The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, will give a presentation on: Simple & Effective Balanced Lifetime Portfolios - 2022 Update.

I just watched the video of this on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7u--5zrpN4 -- now I understand the small cap value perspective a lot better. I'll try to catch one of these on zoom so I can hear the discussion.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: BH Zoom Meeting- Setting Children Up For Financial Success- Wed 5/18/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Starting Out Bogleheads!

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter will be hosting a zoom meeting you may be interested in on Wed. May 18, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is: "Setting Your Children Up For Financial Success" :moneybag

8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 pm Central
6:00 pm Mountain
5:00 pm Pacific

There are many things parents and guardians can do to help set their children up for financial success in life. This meeting will present a variety of topics regarding the financial education of young children to young adults. Since there is often no one way to do things that works for every child :greedy participants are encouraged to share what has worked or not worked with their family and the lessons learned along the way.

You can RSVP for the meeting and submit questions here on the RSVP Link. All responses are anonymous. The meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

Here is the Zoom link and the full zoom link is posted on the Bogleheads Calendar of Events. Please remember to jot down the Meeting ID and Passcode in case zoom asks for it.
Topic Author
Miriam2

"Starting Out" Chapter meeting with JL Collins- "The Simple Path to Wealth"- Wed 6/15/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

"There are many things money can buy, but the most valuable of all is freedom. Freedom to do what you want and to work for whom you respect."
-- JL Collins

The "Starting Out" and "Mid-Career Accumulators" Life Stage Chapters are delighted to host JL (Jim) Collins, author of "The Simple Path to Wealth," for exciting conversation and Q&A at the next zoom meeting on Wed. June 15, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET :D

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting featuring well-known and delightfully engaging personal finance author JL Collins on creating your own road map to financial independence and a rich, free life.
"Life choices are not always about the money, but you should always be clear about the financial impact of the choices you make."
JL Collins' first book, "The Simple Path to Wealth," was published in 2016 and has been an international best-seller and a Bogleheads favorite. JL's latest book is "How I Lost Money in Real Estate Before it Was Fashionable." :mrgreen: He blogs about financial and other matters at www.JLCollinsnh.com.

Although the program is designed for novice investors and those starting out in their investing career and mid-career accumulators, all Bogleheads are welcome to join and ask Qs 8-)

You can submit Qs for JL ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. The meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

Here is the Zoom link - and the link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. Please jot down the meeting ID and passcode in case Zoom asks for it.

"If you understand money, life is easier.
If you don't understand money, life is incredibly difficult."

-- JL Collins
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Per his blog, JL Collins just inked a deal for a new book, and is seeking The Simple Path to Wealth followers to submit their stories... https://jlcollinsnh.com/2022/05/19/just ... art-of-it/

Looking forward to this virtual meeting with him on June 15th!
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Reminder- zoom meeting with JL Collins- Wed 6/15/22- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the zoom meeting with JL (Jim) Collins, author of "The Simple Path to Wealth," tonight, Wed. June 15, 2022, at 8:00 pm ET :D

See above thread ^^^ for details.

"Everybody makes money when the market is rising. But what determines whether it will make you wealthy or leave you bleeding on the side of the road is what you do during the times it is collapsing."
-- JL Collins

Here is the Zoom link - and the link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events. Please jot down the meeting ID and passcode in case Zoom asks for it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a reminder to make sure that your Zoom app is up to date. See: Upgrading Zoom to the latest version
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded meeting is now on YouTube.

See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Q & A with JL Collins

A link to the chat is in the show notes.

A concise summary of the chapters' meeting content is available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations

If anyone wants to help spread "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle" to the internet, click on the "Like" button and / or subscribe to the channel. This helps by putting the YouTube channel higher in the search engine results.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Estate Planning Basics- Wed Sept 13, 2023 at 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The Starting Out Life Stage Chapter is hosting a zoom meeting with the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter on Wed. Sept.13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is Estate Planning Basics - Setting Up Your Estate Plans and will cover all the key components of putting together your estate plans. This meeting is appropriate for all Bogleheads in all life stages.

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, wills & trusts, supplemental needs trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives & living wills, estate administration, elder care planning, and guardianships. He has also served as trustee of various trusts, and guardians for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons.

This is Part I of a Two-Part series with Summerfield. Part II will focus on Elder Care and "Things you wish you knew about taking care of aging parents." (The date for the Part II presentation has not been set.)

Summerfield is a delightful speaker and there will be ample time for Q & A.

You can submit Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded, but the Q & A portion will not be recorded.

Here is the Zoom link - and the full zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

We hope you can join us for this very engaging and important meeting :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Reminder- meeting tomorrow-"Estate Planning Basics"- Wed 9-13-2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Estate Planning Basics - Setting Up Your Estate Plans meeting tomorrow Wed. Sept. 13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET -

8:00 pm Eastern | 7:00 pm Central | 6:00 pm Mountain | 5:00 pm Pacific

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, wills & trusts, supplemental needs trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives & living wills, estate administration, elder care planning, and guardianships. He has also served as trustee of various trusts, and guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons.

See above thread ^^^ for Zoom links and Ask Your Q link. 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The recorded meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Setting Up Your Estate Plans

The anonymized meeting chat and survey results have been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... A?e=b57wx1 <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser.

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/ETwLdEy0Ju9AjpDMv4muZbQBY-satIe-ErxUClCjFEbtdA?e=b57wx1
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Elder Care Planning- Wed Oct 25, 2023 at 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello young Bogleheads and those just starting out in your investing life :happy There is also something else to plan for . . .

The Starting Out Life Stage Chapter is hosting a zoom meeting with the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter on Wed. Oct. 25, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is Elder Care Planning: Things you wish you knew about taking care of aging parents. This meeting is appropriate for all Bogleheads in all life stages and all Bogleheads are invited.

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, health directives and proxies and living wills, elder care planning, guardianships, custody, and handling incapacitation and end-of-life situations. He has served as guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons, and as trustee for numerous trusts.

This is Part II of the Two-Part Series with Summerfield. Please see below ** for the Part I meeting video on Estate Planning.

Summerfield is a delightful speaker with a wealth of experience, and there will be plenty of time for Q & A.

You can also submit Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be video recorded, but the Q & A portion will be audio recorded only.

Here is the Zoom link - and the full zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events.

If you have any Qs about using zoom or attending our on-line meetings, please let me know 8-)

** Our Part I meeting was held on Wed. Sept. 13, 2023, and covered Estate Planning Basics- all the key components or building blocks of understanding, putting together and setting up your estate plans. The Part I meeting was recorded and you can find it now on the Bogleheads YouTube video series- Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Setting Up Your Estate Plans.

The Part I meeting Chat has also been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site-
https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... A?e=b57wx1 <-- NOTE- this address will be different than what you see in your web browser & the first slide may say "not available," (don't panic, keep watching).
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Reminder- Elder Care Planning meeting- Wed 10-25-2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Elder Care Planning meeting this week on Wed. Oct. 25, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET. The topic is: "Things you wished you knew about taking care of aging relatives."

Our guest is Summerfield Baldwin, an estate planning attorney with 30 years experience in estate planning, health directives and proxies and living wills, elder care planning, guardianships, custody, and handling incapacitation and end-of-life situations. He has served as guardian for elderly, incapacitated, and mentally ill persons, and as trustee for numerous trusts.

Summerfield is a delightful speaker with a wealth of experience, and there will be plenty of time for Q & A. 8-)

You can submit Qs ahead of time HERE . All responses are anonymous. This meeting is open to all Bogleheads and you don't need to RSVP to attend.

Please see above thread ^^^ for further information about our earlier meeting with Summerfield held on Wed. Sept. 13, 2023, that covered Estate Planning Basics- all the key components or building blocks of understanding, putting together and setting up your estate plans.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:12 pm The recorded meeting is now on YouTube. See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Estate Planning Basics – Taking care of your parents – Open Q&A

To protect anonymity, only the audio portion of the meeting was published.

The anonymized meeting chat has been uploaded to the Bogle Center's SharePoint site. Note: When sharing links, only use the links shown in the blog or YouTube channel. When clicking on those links, Microsoft changes the link and you can't use it again. Don't blame me. That's how SharePoint works.

Anonymized chat: https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/ ... w?e=CZzVkH <-- will be different than what you see in your web browser (first slide may say not available, be patient)

Code: Select all

https://boglecenter.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/Bogleheads/EV-zHTe8mdROgrx_M3ZJc9cBm_gvO7cAbWg2vOhFPdX2Fw?e=CZzVkH
Online content for all of the chapter meetings can be found in the Bogleheads blog: Virtual online chapter presentations
Thank you LadyGeek!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Grandma Sylvia's Financial Journey- meeting Wed Nov 8, 2023- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

"The biggest impediment to my getting started was that I had no confidence in myself as an investor." -- Grandma Sylvia
Please join the Bogleheads Starting Out Life Stage Chapter and the Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter for an on-line meeting with Grandma Sylvia and how she educated herself "from a terrified non-investor to a joyful, confident one." :happy

:arrow: Date & Time: Wed Nov. 8, 2023 - 8:00 pm ET

Topic: Sylvia Auton's journey from surviving the loss of her husband to learning how to successfully manage her own finances

All Bogleheads are welcome for this interesting discussion of starting out late in life as a novice investor of your family's money following a major family upheaval and learning how to gain knowledge and confidence in managing your own money.

Here is the Ask Your Q link for Q's you would like to ask Grandma Sylvia; it's not necessary to rsvp to come to the meeting. There also will be ample time during the meeting for discussion and Q & A.

Here is the zoom link for the meeting; the zoom link is also posted on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events

Let us know if you have any questions about meetings or zoom 8-)
"I hope learning about this journey of mine, when I went from a terrified non-investor to a comfortable investor, will enable other beginning investors to take a quicker, smoother path to investing success." -- Grandma Sylvia
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Reminder- meeting Wed Nov 8, 2023- 8:00 pm ET- Grandma Sylvia's Financial Journey

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the on-line meeting - Grandma Sylvia's financial journey from a terrified investor to a confident one - this Wed. Nov. 8, 2023, 8:00 pm ET. Please see above thread ^^^ for details.

Taylor Larimore recently posted this post about Grandma Sylvia (Sylvia Auton) -
Bogleheads:

I enjoyed Sylvia's book very much. She writes at a level that makes successful investing easy to understand.

Bogleheads can read important excerpts here.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn from the experience of others – it’s cheaper.”
viewtopic.php?t=64383&start=600#p7531914

In addition, Mel Lindauer posted this on the forum about Sylvia's book and quoted Jack Bogle, who apparently read her book prior to publication:
"I also reviewed Sylvia's book prior to publication and think she's done a great job with a target market that may well be under-served. I'm sure that many readers will be able to see themselves in many/most of Sylvia's situations.

It's interesting to note that Jack Bogle had this to say about her book:

"While there are a few women-authored books about the stock market, I know of no such memoirs. You may be the first.
-- Jack Bogle"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Meeting on Healthcare Options Pre-Medicare- Wed Nov 15, 2023-8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi Starting Out Bogleheads!
This Pre-Medicare stuff may seem a long time away, but you never know when you need to scramble for health insurance :shock:

Please join us on Wed. Nov. 15, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET for the zoom meeting on Healthcare Options for Pre-Retirees & Retirees Pre-Medicare, including the ACA rules, the ACA subsidies, Cobra and other healthcare options before Medicare kicks in. The meeting is hosted by the Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter and the Chicago Bogleheads.

Finding good health care during the period between retirement and the beginning of Medicare can be daunting. Finding good health care at any time if you don't have access through employment can be daunting. This meeting will present and discuss the many options available during this period, including logging into the ACA and displaying the subsidy rules. There also will be some discussion about the End Surprise Billing Act and income issues that affect you once you hit Medicare. All Bogleheads in various life stages are welcome to come and share their experiences finding healthcare during this pre-Medicare period.

:arrow: Also - Save the date for Wed. Dec. 13, 2023, at 8:00 pm ET when the Chicago Bogleheads host a meeting on Medicare.