Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
gailcox

Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters

Post by gailcox »

[Link to calendar fixed -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

To complement the already existing geographic-based Bogleheads Chapters, meeting on Zoom right now, you will start to see threads on the forum inviting you to attend virtual meetings based on whatever Life Stage of investing you are in! The Life Stages are:

Getting Started
MId-life/Career/Accumulator
Pre/Early Retirement
Retired

Topics presented within all the Life Stages will focus on investing, retirement planning, banking, budgeting and emergency fund, work-related financial choices, housing-related choices, insurance, estate planning, tax planning, retirement income management, IRA’s, Roth conversions, and many more!

The coordinators of each Life Stage chapter will announce meetings from their own Master Thread on the forum. In the first post on their Master Thread, they will introduce their Life Stage chapter and give an overview of what’s coming! Occasionally they will schedule a speaker at the meetings who is an expert in their field.

You can check out all upcoming Bogleheads Chapter meetings on the Calendar of Events.
We are excited about the Life Stage chapters and look forward to presenting this new initiative to you!

Gail Cox
The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy
mikejuss

Re: Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters

Post by mikejuss »

Thank you! :sharebeer
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Seems that the calendar link is dead.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Gail:

We look forward to "threads on the forum inviting you to attend virtual meetings based on whatever Life Stage of investing you are in!"

We also thank you and the other directors of The John C. Bogle Center For Investment Literacy for making the Bogleheads Forum the finest (and largest) commercial-free investment forum on the internet.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom in "John Bogle on Investing -- The First 50 Years": "Dedicated to all of the human beings who have meant so much to me during the first 50 years of my career – and especially those Bogleheads of the Internet, that dedicated and loyal cadre of Vanguard Diehards who give me strength to carry on my mission.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 pm Seems that the calendar link is dead.
I think it's working now!
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm Gail:

We look forward to "threads on the forum inviting you to attend virtual meetings based on whatever Life Stage of investing you are in!"

We also thank you and the other directors of The John C. Bogle Center For Investment Literacy for making the Bogleheads Forum the finest (and largest) commercial-free investment forum on the internet.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom in "John Bogle on Investing -- The First 50 Years": "Dedicated to all of the human beings who have meant so much to me during the first 50 years of my career – and especially those Bogleheads of the Internet, that dedicated and loyal cadre of Vanguard Diehards who give me strength to carry on my mission.”
Taylor,
You and Jack Bogle are who we strive to make proud as we continue your legacy of helping the average investor! Thank you, Mr. Bogle, for your thesis on the Index Fund and thank you, Taylor, for being a founding member of the Bogleheads, formerly known as "The Diehards". Without you both we wouldn't be here!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Many thanks! :sharebeer

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

As part of Gail's new Life Stage Chapters Series, we have designed a chapter for beginning investors :happy

We posted the Master Thread for the "Starting Out" stage of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series and we encourage everyone to visit it - "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter Master Thread.

The "Starting Out" Life Stage mission: is to provide education and discussion on investing and personal finance topics geared towards novice investors of any age and young investors just getting started with their finances and careers.

The "Starting Out" master thread lists the main topics that will be featured in presentations and meetings, as well as common new-investor issues that we hope to cover. Our meetings will be posted on the Master Thread, on the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events, and on the Bogleheads Local Chapter threads hosting the meeting.

All Bogleheads are invited to all the meetings - we hope you will join us!

The Starting Out Chapter Coordinators,
Gouri, Manny, Luke, Miriam2
Tourne

Post by Tourne »

Many thanks for this initiative - I think it will really benefit the BH community. Is there any chance that these meetings (or at least the beginning presentations) could be recorded, as the BH conferences are? That will make it a lot easier to follow for those of us living in a different time zone :D
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious." - Michael Scott
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter has its first presentation tomorrow, Tues. April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST/EDT.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing."

Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller "Investing Made Simple," and other books in his "Made Simple" series, as well as the popular blog, www.ObliviousInvestor.com. He is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite.

Mike will discuss and take your Q's on the basics of investing and personal finance, including:
-- stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETF's, index funds vs. actively managed funds, target date funds, money market funds, CD's, etc.
-- types of accounts, asset classes
-- asset allocation, risk & return, diversification, creating portfolios
-- long term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking

Although the presentation is designed for novice investors of any age and beginning investors just starting out, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to come and ask Q's and provide their own personal experience with these topics at different levels of investing :happy

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, or the San Antonio chapter at SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for the "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter meeting tonight with Mike Piper at 8:00 pm EST/EDT

Mike posted this:
ObliviousInvestor wrote: Bumping this for visibility. If you're in the "starting out" stage, join us tomorrow night! Or, if one of your loved ones is just starting out, watch with them. It should be a fun discussion. :)
HappyPeaceful

Post by HappyPeaceful »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 pm The "Starting Out" Life Stage Chapter has its first presentation tomorrow, Tues. April 6, 2021, at 8:00 pm EST/EDT.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom featuring Mike Piper on "Getting Started with Investing."

Mike is a CPA and well-known author of many articles and books on personal investing, taxes and social security, including his best-seller "Investing Made Simple," and other books in his "Made Simple" series, as well as the popular blog, www.ObliviousInvestor.com. He is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite.

Mike will discuss and take your Q's on the basics of investing and personal finance, including:
-- stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETF's, index funds vs. actively managed funds, target date funds, money market funds, CD's, etc.
-- types of accounts, asset classes
-- asset allocation, risk & return, diversification, creating portfolios
-- long term investing vs. market timing & stock-picking

Although the presentation is designed for novice investors of any age and beginning investors just starting out, all Bogleheads are welcome and encouraged to come and ask Q's and provide their own personal experience with these topics at different levels of investing :happy

To receive the zoom link - go to the Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter at virtualbogleheads@gmail.com, or the San Antonio chapter at SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or email the South Florida chapter at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM (private message).
Hello Miriam2: could you please share the link. Just PM-ed you. Thank you.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our Chicago Virtual chapter's meeting tonight will be a demo and Q&A by one of our members that works for the company. This falls under the following life stages:
  • MId-life/Career/Accumulator
  • Pre/Early Retirement
  • Retired

Everyone is invited to tonight's (4/7/2021 7 pm CENTRAL) financial/retirement tool demo/q&a of NEW RETIREMENT. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com

The meeting is on 4/7 at 7pm central time.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm East

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

You can find the local chapters here.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Although not specifically a "Life Stage" event, tomorrow's Tampa + South FL Chapters joint meeting should be relevant for all Life Stages.

Guests will be Mark Zoril (PlanVision founder) and colleague Jason Lynch, presenting the following two topics, with Q&A to follow...
  • Considerations in structuring your investments before and after retirement
  • How technology will help people take more control over their finances
This meeting is not intended as an "infomercial" for their services, but rather an opportunity to hear their investing philosophy and perspectives. However, if there is sufficient interest, we'll schedule a follow-up meeting for a "deeper dive" into their PlanVision service and the eMoney platform.

It's scheduled for 8 PM Eastern (5 PM Pacific / 6 PM Mountain / 7 PM Central).
Full details (including Zoom link) are posted on the BH Calendar of Events... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The next online meeting of interest to the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters is tomorrow, Mon. May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET and is hosted by the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.

This is an exciting meeting featuring Paul Merriman, a well-known financial writer and popular speaker. His topic is: "We're Talking Millions!" :moneybag He will have a 1-1/2 hour presentation followed by a 30 min open Q & A session.

Although Paul's presentation will focus on the age 20-40 demographic - those most involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey - all Life Stages will benefit from this presentation. Paul will discuss "value based" investing strategies that he believes can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation.

Paul is also a Boglehead 8-) who has made numerous posts over the years explaining his investing philosophy and portfolios. He posts as paul merriman - To find his posts click HERE.

To find a more detailed Indiana meeting agenda, registration, and more about Paul Merriman click HERE.

For the Zoom link - go to the Indiana chapter linked above (you can also ask your Q for Paul). Or email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or PM me here on the forum.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to the meeting tonight.
The next online meeting of interest to the Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters is tomorrow, TONIGHT Mon. May 3, 2021, at 7:00 pm ET and is hosted by the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Short notice - Wednesday May 5 - 7 pm central. This demo appeals to all Life Stages.

The developer of the product FICALC has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on WEDNESDAY May 5 at 7 pm Central time. Great way to get any of your questions answered.

You can try out the product here https://calculator.ficalc.app/

Wednesday May 5 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the upcoming events here. in the 5/5 entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

You can find the local chapters here.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
Miriam2

Re: Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters- meeting w/ Allan Roth 5/20/21- 8:00pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Life Stage Chapter meeting is on Thursday, May 20, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET

This will be an online presentation by Allan Roth hosted by the San Antonio Bogleheads Chapter.

This will be an enjoyable interactive meeting on Zoom with ample time for Q & A on all personal finance topics. Allan's presentation will be valuable to all investors, beginners to experienced, starting out to retired.

The San Antonio Chapter is also collecting Qs ahead of the meeting if you wish to submit Qs to their website - SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com.

Allan is an MBA, CPA, CFP, and is extremely knowledgeable and a delightful presenter and Bogleheads favorite. He has been on the Panel of Experts at the Bogleheads Conferences for many years.

Here is some more information about Allan -
-- well-known author of "How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street"
-- financial website Wealth Logic/Dare to be Dull - www.DareToBeDull.com/overviewbio/
-- guest on Rick Ferri's "Bogleheads On Investing Podcast" - Episode 008

To receive the zoom link for this presentation, email SFLBogleheads@gmail.com, or the SanAntonioBogleheads@gmail.com, or send me a PM. Please also check the Bogleheads Blog Calendar of Events - zoom links are often posted on the calendar.

Hope everyone can join us for the meeting :happy

8 PM Eastern
7 PM Central
6 PM Mountain
5 PM Pacific
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The "Retired" Life Stage Chapter has also launched!

Our first meeting will be Tue, June 8th, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (EDT), with the opening Discussion Topic... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds. Although targeted for retirees, all others are welcome. The meeting will NOT be recorded.

You can RSVP for the meeting (and submit questions or other discussion topics) here... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link will be posted in the Calendar of Events at least one week prior to the meeting, and will also be shared with all the Local Chapters.

For those in/near retirement, we suggest Subscribing to (or Bookmarking) our "Master Thread" for future updates...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=349254

The "Retired" Life Stage Chapter Coordinators...
sleepysurf and Rob54keep
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

For anybody else interested in helping Co-Coordinate one of the four "Life Stage" virtual chapters, Gail Cox is hosting another organizational Zoom meeting tonight at 7 PM Central. More details here... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

These four virtual chapters all need additional volunteer support, because they have such a large audience, and breadth of topics that can be covered. BTW, you needn't be a financial expert to offer assistance, just an interest in helping organize future meetings, and learning alongside the rest of us!
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Tonight I'll be hosting an organizational meeting of the initiative "Life Stage" Chapters.

Our 4 LIfe Stages include:

Starting Out
Mid-Life/Career/Accumulation
Pre-Retirement
Retired

If you are in the midst of any of these investment Life Stages, or you have completed any of these, we would love to have you on our team! Your knowledge of investment do's and don'ts would benefit anyone that is learning. The meeting starts at 7p CT. See below to see how to attend. It's a Zoom meeting.

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events

Gail
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

The third Life Stage chapter, "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement", now has a Master Thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=351539

The "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage mission: To provide for education and discussion on topics pertaining to financial and other issues during the approximately 10 year period before retirement, or the early years of retirement.

Our meetings will be announced on the Master Thread, and on the Bogleheads calendar of events which can be found here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

Please watch for our first meeting which will be soon.

For those nearing retirement or newly retired, we suggest Subscribing to (or Bookmarking) our "Master Thread" for future updates...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=351539

All Bogleheads are invited to the meetings - we hope you will join us!

The Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Chapter Coordinators,
hoosierjim and DFWBogleheads
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

Our first "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage meeting will be Wednesday, June 30, 2021, on Zoom, starting 8 PM (Eastern).

Our Initial virtual meeting will be a "get to know each other" discussion ... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds. Suggestions for topics to be discussed at the meeting, as well as future topics/speakers, are welcome and can be submitted with the RSVP below, or typed into the chat window during the meeting. The meeting will not be recorded.

You can RSVP for the meeting (and submit questions or suggested discussion topics and topics/speakers for future meetings) here...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

All responses are anonymous. The Zoom link will be posted in the BH Calendar of Events one week prior to the meeting.
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

The new LIfe Stage chapter's are going great! These are virtual meetings, geared for the investment Life Stage you are in. These are open to all interested Bogleheads and are led by volunteer Bogleheads who want to 'pay forward', what they have gained from the Bogleheads.org forum and from their local chapter.

We could use a few more co-leaders, particularly for the Retirement Life Stage! You don't need to have a teaching degree or be an investment guru If you are retired and feel you can help others on their path to retirement, please reach out to me at

gcox@bogle.center

or, attend our next virtual Life Stage chapter coordinator meeting on Monday, July 19th at 7pm, Central time. You can find the info on how to attend by going to the Calendar of Events on Bogleheads.org. Go down the left hand menu to find the Calendar of Events.

Thank you!

Gail Cox
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

The second "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage meeting will be Thursday, July 29, 2021, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

This meeting will be a presentation on tax planning by Sean Mullaney. Sean Mullaney is a financial planner, CPA, and the President of Mullaney Financial & Tax, Inc. His blog is www.fitaxguy.com. The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session.

Suggestions for questions to be addressed during the Q&A are welcome and can be submitted with the RSVP below, or typed into the chat window during the meeting.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

You can RSVP for the meeting and submit questions here...

The Zoom link will be posted in the BH Calendar of Events one week prior to the meeting.

The "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage Chapter Coordinators...
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

A reminder that there is an informational meeting tonight for anyone interested in co-leading a "Life Stage" chapter! The virtual meeting begins at 7pm Central. More info can be found in the Calendar of Events.

[link fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Hope you can join us!

Gail Cox
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

If you haven't already, don't forget to RSVP to the Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter's meeting this week on Thursday, July 29.

The Zoom link is in the Calendar of Events on the Bogleheads main page.

The guest speaker will be Sean Mullaney, who is a financial planner, CPA, and the President of Mullaney Financial & Tax, Inc. His blog is www.fitaxguy.com. The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session.

It will be a great presentation and Q&A session! Sean will be covering many of the tax topics of interest to the Pre-Retirement group, including Roth Conversions.

You can RSVP and submit questions here:

DFWBogleheads
sedna273

Post by sedna273 »

Hi everyone, a friendly reminder that tomorrow is the Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter's meeting (Thursday, July 29). The Zoom link is in the Calendar of Events on the Bogleheads main page at: https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

The guest speaker will be Sean Mullaney, who is a financial planner, CPA, and the President of Mullaney Financial & Tax, Inc. His blog is here: https://fitaxguy.com/ . The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session. Looking forward to seeing you there! :D
Miriam2

Re: Bogleheads Life Stage Chapter- Meeting w/ FiveK on Prioritizing Investments- 8/10/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

The next Bogleheads Life Stage meeting is Tues. August 10, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET, hosted by the "Starting Out" Life Stage chapter.

8 PM Eastern
7 PM Central
6 PM Mountain
5 PM Pacific

This will be a zoom presentation by Boglehead FiveK on "Funding Priority - Prioritizing Investments, Investment Location, & Tax Implications" - what investments to place where and when and why.

Investors who are able to place their investments in different kinds of accounts, such as taxable accounts, 401(k)'s or IRA's, etc., need to decide which ones to prioritize. Investing in a prioritized order will maximize the tax efficiency of your portfolio. Although this meeting is suitable for all Life Stages, this funding priority is especially important for those just starting out with investing.

FiveK is one of the Bogleheads who are currently revising the Bogleheads Wiki section on "Prioritizing Investments", and he also gave a Virtual Presentation on his Personal Financial ToolBox spreadsheets last March.

The presentation will be recorded, but the Q & A discussion following the presentation will not be recorded.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Calendar of Events, or email me at SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or PM me here.

If you have questions about or difficulty with Zoom, please let us know - we have BH zoom techies who are eager to help everyone participate in and enjoy all these online meetings. :happy
bulkalf

Post by bulkalf »

Thanks. Where will the recording be made available?
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to find future announcements here for the "retired" category here? In my case retired means being in my mid-80s but still having a keen interest in learning more about investing at my age.
Tom D.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

tomd37 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:57 am Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to find future announcements here for the "retired" category here? In my case retired means being in my mid-80s but still having a keen interest in learning more about investing at my age.
Each of the four "LIfe Stage" virtual chapters maintains their own "Master Thread." Here's the one for the "Retired" Life Stage... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=349254 Our next virtual meeting will be an informal Q&A Zoom discussion sometime mid-Sept (date/time still pending).
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Thanks sleepysurf. I went to the post provided and subscribed to it to ensure receipt of future announcements.
Tom D.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bulkalf wrote: Thanks. Where will the recording be made available?
All the recordings & videos of all the Bogleheads online meetings & presentations can be found on the Bogleheads Blog - Virtual Online Chapter Presentations

For all upcoming Bogleheads meetings and presentations - see the Bogleheads Blog - Calendar of Events

To subscribe to BH Virtual Chapter Events - go to the BH Blog Calendar of Events and scroll down to Subscribe to the Virtual Chapter Events.

Quick links to the BH Blog and the Calendar of Events are also on the Bogleheads main index page side list -

Bogleheads.org
New to investing?
• Start here
• Video: Investing
• Suggested Reading

Bogleheads® Forum
• Forum Home
• Forum Policies
• View Your Posts

Bogleheads® Wiki
• Wiki Home
• Investing Philosophy
• John Bogle

Bogleheads® Blog
• Blog Home
• Local Chapters
• Calendar of Events
• Podcast

Resources
• Sites of Interest

About Us
• About Us
• Support this site
- Donate
• Affiliate Links
- Amazon.com
• Contact
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

The "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage chapter will be hosting a meeting on Wednesday, August 25, 2021, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

This meeting will be a presentation on retirement planning by Christine Benz, Morningstar's Director of Personal Finance.

Even the best-laid retirement plans can harbor hidden risks, including longevity risk, sequence-of-return risk, and underspending. Morningstar's Christine Benz will outline how to safeguard your portfolio and your plan against these risk factors. She will also share her favorite in-retirement mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and discuss her model bucket portfolios geared toward retirees.

Suggestions for questions to be addressed during the Q&A are welcome and can be submitted with the RSVP below, or typed into the chat window during the meeting.

The presentation portion of the meeting will be recorded. The Q&A following the presentation will not be recorded.

The Zoom link will be posted in the BH Calendar of Events one week prior to the meeting.

The "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Life Stage Chapter Coordinators...
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

If you have an interest in sharing what you have learned about investing the "Bogleheads" way, there will be a meeting tonight for the leaders of the Life Stage chapters and those interested in being on a Life Stage chapter team! Go to the Calendar of Events and click on the meeting for tonight. Follow the Zoom info and we will see you there!

8pm ET
7pm CT
6pm MT
5pm PT

Thanks so much!

Gail

Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

gailcox wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:06 pm If you have an interest in sharing what you have learned about investing the "Bogleheads" way, there will be a meeting tonight for the leaders of the Life Stage chapters and those interested in being on a Life Stage chapter team! Go to the Calendar of Events and click on the meeting for tonight. Follow the Zoom info and we will see you there!

8pm ET
7pm CT
6pm MT
5pm PT

Thanks so much!

Gail

This is amazing. I didnt connect the different chapters until i saw this thread. Much Kudos to you and the team! :sharebeer
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I fixed gailcox's link to the blog.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

If you haven't already, don't forget to RSVP to our next meeting of the Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage chapter, tomorrow, Wednesday, August 25, 2021, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

You won't want to miss our guest speaker, Christine Benz, Morningstar's Director of Personal Finance. She will be presenting the "Six Retirement Blind Spots and How to Fix Them".

Even the best-laid retirement plans can harbor hidden risks, including longevity risk, sequence-of-return risk, and underspending. Morningstar's Christine Benz will outline how to safeguard your portfolio and your plan against these risk factors. She will also share her favorite in-retirement mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and discuss her model bucket portfolios geared toward retirees.

After the presentation, Christine will be taking questions that were submitted on the RSVP form and also during the zoom in the chat window. Don't miss your chance to get your retirement planning questions answered by Christine Benz!

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The Zoom link is here:

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/97022207368?p ... lBd1o0UT09

The "Pre/Early Retirement" Life Stage Chapter Coordinators...
hoosierjim, DFWBogleheads, Kori, and YDK
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

You won't want to miss Christine's presentation. She's an awesome Morningstar columnist and an engaging speaker. I'll be there!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Miriam2

Re: BH Life Stage Chapters- THE MAD FIENTIST- Mon 8/30/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder - the Starting Out Life Stage Chapter will host THE MAD FIENTIST on Mon. Aug. 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. 8-)

*** pronounced fi-entist, like scientist, but a Fientist: "One who studies Financial Independence."

Please join us for what is sure to be a very interesting discussion with THE MAD FIENTIST on achieving the dream of Financial Independence, the highs and lows of Financial Independence, how to achieve a balanced life, budgeting and spreadsheets, withdrawal and rebalancing strategies, and much more!

This meeting is appropriate for all Life Stages and all Bogleheads are invited to join the meeting.

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the zoom chat window during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

HERE is the Zoom link - it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join the meeting! We'll ask him about "The Guinea Pig Experiment." :D
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

The 2nd "Retired" Life Stage meeting (on Zoom) will be Tue, Sept 21, at 8 PM Eastern (5 pm Pacific, 6 pm Mountain, 7 pm Central).

Targeted audience: "Retired" Life Stage (but others always welcome)

You can anonymously RSVP, submit topic suggestions, questions, and comments re the meeting format here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

The meeting will likely be open Q&A, but might have a "theme" based upon survey suggestions received (link above). We'll post a full agenda by end of next week, and will post the Zoom link on the BH Calendar of Events... https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/calendar-of-events/

BTW, none of the four Life Stage Chapters have specific email lists at this time, so we're all communicating via our Master Threads in the forum, as well as the "Announcement Only" Bogleheads Chapter Series Google Group/email list. Instructions for subscribing to the latter can be found on the BH Calendar of Events page.

We also recommend "Subscribing" to each of the Life Stage Master Thread(s) you're interested in, to receive email alerts of new posts. Here are the links...
-Starting Out Life Stage... viewtopic.php?t=344607
-Mid Career Life Stage... viewtopic.php?t=353119
-Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=351539
-Retired Life Stage... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=349254
Last edited by sleepysurf on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Update re the Retired Life Stage meeting on Tue, Sept 21.

After reviewing the survey feedback, we've chosen a specific topic... “Loosening the Purse Strings in Retirement- Sharing Withdrawal and Spending Perspectives.”

It will be an open Q&A format, where the coordinators will read from pre-submitted questions, and call upon participants in chronologic order (via the "raised hand icon") to answer/comment. We'll devote time at the end for questions submitted via Chat, and, if we exhaust this topic, will open it up for any other retirement related questions. The meeting will begin 8 PM (*Eastern*), and run up to 2 hrs.

As before, for privacy reasons, the meeting will NOT be recorded, so we encourage participants to be on video (at least when answering/commenting). You can RSVP and submit questions for this topic here... https://forms.gle/qQfYtTn6BD4E7ETa8

The Zoom link will be posted on the BH Calendar of Events one week prior to the meeting.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

**Flash update**

Disregard the above. Wade Pfau has graciously agreed (despite short notice) to give a presentation on retirement, followed by Q&A, for our Sept 21 Retired Life Stage meeting. His presentation (but not the Q&A segment) will be recorded. We'll save the original topic for a future date.

Stay tuned for more details shortly!
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

"Retired" Life Stage meeting update!

Wade Pfau, Ph.D., CFA, will be presenting two topics at tomorrow's Zoom meeting (8 PM *Eastern*)...
  • How can Retirement Income Style (RISA) be a useful tool for Bogleheads?
  • Tax Planning for Efficient Retirement Distributions
We'll take some questions after each segment, but due to time constraints, will not be able to address them all.

The Zoom link can be found on the BH Calendar of Events

If you plan to attend, please RSVP here, so we'll have a better idea of head count.
Miriam2

Re: Life Stage Chapter meeting- Christine Benz on Investing Wisely- Tue 10/5/21- 8:00 pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

Please join us for the next Life Stage presentation on Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET. featuring Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar, on "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage."

This zoom presentation is hosted by the Mid-Career Accumulator Life Stage and the Starting Out Life Stage chapters.

The meeting topics will cover mid-career accumulators and those just starting out in investing & asset allocation, newly marrieds, growing families, staying out of debt & lifestyle creep, teaching our kids about money, insurance & estate planning, and helping our aging parents. Christine will explain that while these years of our lives can be complicated, our financial and investment life shouldn't be.

Investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting! 8-)

Christine is a Bogleheads favorite and participates on the Panel of Experts at our Bogleheads Conferences. We have all benefited from her many wonderful interviews of Mr. Bogle, and her excellent articles, books and podcasts.

In March 2020, Christine was named to Barron's Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance and made the List again in 2021 :D

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is now posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.
DFWBogleheads

Post by DFWBogleheads »

The Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage chapter will be hosting a meeting on Wednesday, October 13, 2021, on Zoom, starting 7 PM (Central).

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The presentation will be on "Pre/Early retirement health care planning with a 2021 update". This information was originally presented by the Chicago Virtual Bogleheads group in February, 2021. This meeting will present the same information, but with the changes to the ACA subsidy rules in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 which was passed in March, 2021.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed.

If you are wondering about your health care options and missed the February meeting, and/or want to learn about how the recent law change affects things, this meeting is for you.

The Zoom link will be posted a week before the meeting.

The Pre/Early Retirement Life Stage Chapter Coordinators...
hoosierjim, DFWBogleheads, Kori, and YDK
Miriam2

Re: Bogleheads Life Stage Chapters- Christine Benz presentation tonight

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for tonight's Life Stage presentation, Tues. Oct 5, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET., featuring Christine Benz, the Director of Personal Finance at Morningstar. Her topic will be "Investing (and Planning) Wisely at Every Life Stage."

8:00 pm Eastern
7:00 pm Central
6:00 pm Mountain
5:00 pm Pacific

This zoom presentation is hosted by the Mid-Career Accumulator Life Stage and the Starting Out Life Stage chapters, but investors in all Life Stages of investing will enjoy this meeting! 8-)

You can submit your Qs ahead of time with the RSVP HERE - or type them into the chat during the Q&A session. Although RSVPs are encouraged, it's not necessary to RSVP to come to the meeting. All responses are anonymous.

Here is the Zoom link - and it's also posted on the BH Blog Calendar of Events.

Hope everyone can join us :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The online chat from last night's meeting is now available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations All personally identifiable information has been removed.

Allow a week for the YouTube video to be published.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 am The online chat from last night's meeting is now available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations All personally identifiable information has been removed.

Allow a week for the YouTube video to be published.
Sooner than expected, the latest Bogleheads chapter series video is now on YouTube.

See: Bogleheads® Chapter Series – Christine Benz on Investing and Planning Wisely at Every Life Stage

A concise summary of the chapters' meeting content is available in the blog: Virtual online chapter presentations