Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave The Bogleheads Forum

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
All Seasons

Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave The Bogleheads Forum

Post by All Seasons »

I am leaving the Bogleheads forum -- a departure likely to be permanent. However, before I leave I wanted to share why I am doing so with my fellow Bogleheads. To keep this actionable, I'd like you to consider the following passages as food for thought as to whether or not you should leave this forum.

I have been enlightened, enthralled, educated, and occasionally miffed at the discussions here. It has been a wild ride, and I have enjoyed my times perusing the many topics. I have had the pleasant experience of familiarizing myself with the thinking of men whose intellect exceeds my own including Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, John Bogle, Rick Ferri, and many others.

Enjoyable as it has been, browsing this forum has done nothing but cause the horizon of my mind to be occluded by the latest in financial research and the stock market. There are constant reminders of the level of the Dow or the latest happenings with cryptocurrencies. There are innumerable threads about factors and international investments. The debates about optimal SCV allocation are interminable. The very act of frequenting this forum defeats the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.

Frequenting this forum can only cause you to act. To tinker. To modify and modify until you reach an "optimal" allocation as per the latest factor paper or whatever it may be. The very act of browsing this forum all the time is antithetical to the very principles that our community espouses.

To be a good Boglehead -- to truly live that philosophy of financial zen that passive investing is supposed to bring -- I must leave the Bogleheads forum, and direct my energies towards other matters.

Thank you for the engaging discussions.
mortfree

Re: Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave The Bogleheads Forum

Post by mortfree »

A “good boglehead” (whatever that means) should be able to tune out the noise.

:sharebeer

In before the lock
Mid-40’s
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

One reason to stay: passing on the wisdom and knowledge.

But all the threads that seem to be taking over and the new accounts can be overwhelming. TSLA, GME, BTC. Triple-leveraged anti-correlated funds.

Was this forum even active in 1999-2000? In other words, had the forum ever been through a major bubble? (Not that we are necessarily in or going to be in a bubble, but chances are a bubble will form at some point in the future.)

I hope to one day join you in peaceful refuge at the cloud-enshrined temple in the mountains.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

My dogecoin post was the last straw, wasn’t it? :happy
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am Frequenting this forum can only cause you to act. To tinker. To modify and modify until you reach an "optimal" allocation as per the latest factor paper or whatever it may be. The very act of browsing this forum all the time is antithetical to the very principles that our community espouses.
Frequenting this forum gives me comfort to not act from knowledgeable folks. "Don't just do something! Stand there!" The posts from Taylor Larimore on the 3 fund portfolio cannot be more clear to keep it simple. Perhaps you've missed the message. Good luck, friend. I find frequenting this forum to neither be antithetical nor a requisite to follow BogleHead principles.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Should there be an "Active Investing, Speculation, and Gambling" forum where all that stuff should go?
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

JustinR wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am Should there be an "Active Investing, Speculation, and Gambling" forum where all that stuff should go?
Bingo!
Being wrong compounds forever.
SR II

Post by SR II »

I just skip over the threads that don't interest me and read through the one's that do. That way I don't have to "leave" to leave.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 am
JustinR wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am Should there be an "Active Investing, Speculation, and Gambling" forum where all that stuff should go?
Bingo!
Cha ching
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
telemark

Post by telemark »

Discussions on the forum tend to fall into distinct categories, including
  • intensely practical advice concerning someone's particular investment options, tax situations, etc.
  • highly theoretical discussions concerning how many basis points can dance on the bend point of an efficient frontier.
  • heated discussions of the current New Thing (or Things), with the enthusiasts complaining that the skeptics Just Don't Understand.
  • light bulbs, coffee makers, the best way to cook oatmeal, etc.
While saying that good Bogleheads *must* leave the forum might be a bit strong, I heartily agree that unless there is a specific question to be answered, there is little reason to hang around unless you happen to enjoy it. Sticking with a good plan is better than trying to find the perfect plan.
celia

Post by celia »

I think you missed the purpose of Bogleheads. Your description is not how I see it.
[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]
...the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.
The above is not the Bogleheads philosophy, but possibly a by-product. Bogleheads believe in:
* Live below your means (and save the rest)
* Pay off debt
* Establish an emergency fund
* Save early and regularly
* Keep it Simple
* Costs matter
* Diversify
* Tune out the "noise"

After a while, I started noticing that after you have met your needs for the future and you have "extra" money, you can then consider 5% or 10% of your portfolio as "play money" and invest it in individual stocks or anything else. But this should only be for money you can afford to lose. So sometimes we talk about that.

I see the purpose of this forum as not just re-enforcing these principles (because you can get that from reading a Bogleheads book), but also helping each other by sharing your portfolio or some financial plans, getting the best value when you spend as a consumer, understanding how to fill out and file your tax return and the changing tax laws, how to understand insurance plans, Medicare, SS, RMDs, and planning for long-term care and leaving your assets to your heirs. If you will never guide a "new" adult towards college, need to plan your Health Care DPOA, upgrade your career, re-balance your portfolio, answer someone else's questions, take advantage of tax credits, or buy a new car or appliance, maybe you don't need Bogleheads.

This forum is not for everyone. Only you can tell if it meets your needs. If it doesn't or all your needs are already covered and you will never need to adjust them, we understand that you can make better use of your time elsewhere.

I wish you success and good health.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

OP, sure you have made the decision, however this forum has helped me on other things in life such as kids college selection, 529 how to start abs manage, mid life career changes, relocation, staple foods, etc.

You cannot get this perspective who have experienced before.

Yes I have designed our portfolio based on this forum and our thoughts abs stay to it. Also to be honest learned about Tesla and ARK funds and about leverages, but skipped them all except for ARK.

Many times this forum did hand hold me on the life topics, I am sure I may have helped others as well in their discussions.

In the end I learned to learn from others and make my own decisions based on those learnings, best wishes to you.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

I think I have just the opposite attitude toward this forum: I see it as a way to remind myself of the economic perils of straying from the Boglehead path.
markjk

Post by markjk »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am To be a good Boglehead -- to truly live that philosophy of financial zen that passive investing is supposed to bring -- I must leave the Bogleheads forum, and direct my energies towards other matters.
I get what you are saying and if you have to leave to make it work for you, I think it's great you came to that realization.

I actually love reading about all of the financial topics including the current "flavor of the month" topics. However, I never act on any of it, I just enjoy reading, learning and debating. I follow the philosophy and it works so I have no reason to change.

I also enjoy adding my thoughts and experiences to those looking for guidance and asking questions. It's not just about me, but also about what I can do to help others. That is another valuable aspect of the forum.

Again, you have to do what is best for you. I don't think it's possible to go anywhere in today's environment and not run into a lot of noise. That is just the way it is today. I think we just have to adapt.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

There are only so many ways to discuss a 3 fund portfolio. I wouldn't enjoy a forum that was strictly BH investors with 100 BH portfolios and stable household budgets.

All that other junk is what's fun to talk about day to day.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

+1 to what Celia said.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

OP, if I were you, then I'd leave too. My investment strategy hasn't changed for 10+ yrs (perhaps 20 yrs).
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am I am leaving the Bogleheads forum -- a departure likely to be permanent. However, before I leave I wanted to share why I am doing so with my fellow Bogleheads. To keep this actionable, I'd like you to consider the following passages as food for thought as to whether or not you should leave this forum.

I have been enlightened, enthralled, educated, and occasionally miffed at the discussions here. It has been a wild ride, and I have enjoyed my times perusing the many topics. I have had the pleasant experience of familiarizing myself with the thinking of men whose intellect exceeds my own including Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, John Bogle, Rick Ferri, and many others.

Enjoyable as it has been, browsing this forum has done nothing but cause the horizon of my mind to be occluded by the latest in financial research and the stock market. There are constant reminders of the level of the Dow or the latest happenings with cryptocurrencies. There are innumerable threads about factors and international investments. The debates about optimal SCV allocation are interminable. The very act of frequenting this forum defeats the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.

Frequenting this forum can only cause you to act. To tinker. To modify and modify until you reach an "optimal" allocation as per the latest factor paper or whatever it may be. The very act of browsing this forum all the time is antithetical to the very principles that our community espouses.

To be a good Boglehead -- to truly live that philosophy of financial zen that passive investing is supposed to bring -- I must leave the Bogleheads forum, and direct my energies towards other matters.

A solid Boglehead has mastered his emotions, has a balanced outlook on life and is not overwhelmed by financial data and information.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

celia wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 am I think you missed the purpose of Bogleheads. Your description is not how I see it.
All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am I have had the pleasant experience of familiarizing myself with the thinking of men whose intellect exceeds my own including Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, John Bogle, Rick Ferri, and many others.
Women can think as well as men, maybe even better. They contribute to this forum too, but often you can't tell the gender of the writer.

...the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.
The above is not the Bogleheads philosophy, but possibly a by-product. Bogleheads believe in:
* Pay off debt
* Keep it Simple
* Costs matter
* Diversify
* Tune out the "noise"

After a while, I started noticing that after you have met your needs for the future and you have "extra" money, you can then consider 5% or 10% of your portfolio as "play money" and invest it in individual stocks or anything else. But this should only be for money you can afford to lose. So sometimes we talk about that.

I see the purpose of this forum as not just re-enforcing these principles (because you can get that from reading a Bogleheads book), but also helping each other by sharing your portfolio or some financial plans, getting the best value when you spend as a consumer, understanding how to fill out and file your tax return and the changing tax laws, how to understand insurance plans, Medicare, SS, RMDs, and planning for long-term care and leaving your assets to your heirs. If you will never guide a "new" adult towards college, need to plan your Health Care DPOA, upgrade your career, re-balance your portfolio, answer someone else's questions, take advantage of tax credits, or buy a new car or appliance, maybe you don't need Bogleheads.

This forum is not for everyone. Only you can tell if it meets your needs. If it doesn't or all your needs are already covered and you will never need to adjust them, we understand that you can make better use of your time elsewhere.

"This forum is not for everyone." You have hit the nail squarely. It takes significant time to look at headers and read through posts of interest. I'd like to point out that one could simply post a question of self-interest and just read the responses in that continue conversation as one prefers. On any forum you have to divide and limit your time, or discussions just devolve into a cloud of white noise. It's like drinking from a firehose for many, I propose.

OP, in the early year(s) of forum life it is possible to simply internalize the philosophy, and put it into practice. No need to really come back at all unless you have a specific question or advice given is not clear enough.

But many look at an investment forum as social media for the masses and kinda-off-target topics are plentiful. You're gonna hear about bitcoin everywhere you go on the internet, so what not read a dozen bitcoin reactions here?

Down off my soapbox now, and I wish everyone continuing fortune.
CouponJack

Post by CouponJack »

I see fast food joints all the time, but I drive by them and don't stop.....

if you are truly struggling with self control (where it makes it difficult not to act on this risky investments in this case), maybe therapy would help get over your struggles?

As some have said, you probably could do more good than bad by staying.
Silversides

Post by Silversides »

finite_difference wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:59 am One reason to stay: passing on the wisdom and knowledge.

Was this forum even active in 1999-2000? In other words, had the forum ever been through a major bubble?

I've been here just a few weeks and 2nd your opinion. Old bellwethers tamp the recency back down where it belongs. OP just needs a perspective shift.
Riprap

I'm here for dividend abuse

Post by Riprap »

I think it's fun to read what an idiot I am for enjoying dividends from my passive funds followed closely by how dumb it is not to be spending more than I am able to. :mrgreen:

But seriously...I've stumbled across some great ideas, insights here that I otherwise wouldn't have seen.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

Yes. The "5% Forum". Or the "Funny Money" forum.

And the mods can simply instantly delete all the self-righteous fanatical zealot posts so that people can have an intelligent discussion about a topic they find interesting without being insulted or run off, like has happened with HEDGEFUNDIE and others.

I mainly use these forums for recommendations on the best yacht wax, monocle polish and leather shoes that don't crease.

TNWoods
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am to truly live that philosophy of financial zen that passive investing is supposed to bring -- I must leave the Bogleheads forum, and direct my energies towards other matters.
Congrats on reaching that level of financial enlightenment. (Is it proper etiquette to offer congratulations on reaching a new level of enlightenment?) I haven't even got close. While I think I have made some progress, life changes. New questions emerge. And financial zen to me becomes a constantly receding horizon.

I find that this forum offers helpful suggestions and spirited discussions on questions I've yet to answer and more likely yet to encounter. And that's why I visit - from time to time.

Congrats and best wishes.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

bog007 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:58 am
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 am
Bingo!
Cha ching
All that nonsense belongs on Reddit.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Forums exist as a gathering point to:

Learn and grow with humility
Help with sincerity and compassion
Entertain or be entertained
Opine and Opinonion (whether useful or not or pleasure in venting, expousing, soapboxing, etc)
Comiserate (whether confirmation bias, etc, similar to opinonioning for its own sake but mutually reinforcing)
Reinforce or construct an identity, or other things from the world of "behavioral psychology".
Etc.

When a forum is no longer personally rewarding, beneficial, or fun, then there are others that might be a better fit at the time, but, as everyone is dynamically changing by the hour, that changes and evolves, or cycles, as well.

OP: I'm responding to this post because I'm curious and inquisitive. . . . why post "Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave the Bogleheads Forum"?

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I'm more interested in retirement stories than investment advices. How and when did people decid to retire? What do they do in their retirement? What are the outcomes of their retirement?
Furthermore, I also need something to kill the boring time. I'm not retired, but I just have too much time.
If you are busy, there is no need to hang on here to "learn" more investment strategies beyond the basics, because there is not much.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Seems extreme. All or nothing as opposed to just visiting less frequently
Last edited by Ramjet on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSPECO9

Post by JSPECO9 »

IMO absolutely...

If you go on r/Bogleheads on Reddit, it's a lot more about Bogleheads philosophy than this website is today. The reason for that is that people who are into speculating (which it seems like almost everyone is now) have their own space to talk about speculation rather than filling the Bogleheads forum.

I agree with OP, I love this site and I do like coming on here to talk about anything related to passive investing. But it's just so filled with clutter now it feels like I'm searching for actual passive investing threads to learn from.
pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles »

The investing discussions are interesting, and a well-thought-out position is strengthened by having it challenged. If you're tempted to tinker every time you read the forum, maybe you're not the "Good Boglehead". The only tinkering I've done after reading the forum has been in my spreadsheet regarding taxes, Roth conversion strategies, etc. I like to talk investing here, but I'm not really here for the investing advice. Indexing is easy.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am

I don't agree with the approach you are taking, even though I do agree with what I see happening more on this forum. I have beena member for a while now, and it seems to me, that these "tinkering" threads are gaining a lot of traction here. Which in my mind is unfortunate. What is boring can not make any noise; passive investment is as exciting as watching paint dry. The threads I am referring to, are clearly not boring owing to the interest and will drive more traffic here of those who agree.

Separating out those threads into a sub-forum would be am admission that a part of this community believes and practices "non-bogleheadish" investment strategies, whatever they may be. And doing that could push more traffic towards such a sub-forum, making the problem worse for community and what its trying to push for/teach.
Last edited by TheOscarGuy on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

WarAdmiral wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:36 am
All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am I am leaving the Bogleheads forum -- a departure likely to be permanent. However, before I leave I wanted to share why I am doing so with my fellow Bogleheads. To keep this actionable, I'd like you to consider the following passages as food for thought as to whether or not you should leave this forum.

A solid Boglehead has mastered his emotions, has a balanced outlook on life and is not overwhelmed by financial data and information.
I think this is well said and agree completely. I've learned a lot from this forum and continue to do so and enjoy checking in several times a day. I skip the posts that I'm not interested in, reply to some, and simply digest and learn from many others. In my 10 years I don't recall a single instance when I felt the need to act based on something I read that day. Maybe you've been visiting too often? Best wishes to you. My guess is you'll be back. This Boglehead is staying and staying the course!
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

celia wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 am I think you missed the purpose of Bogleheads. Your description is not how I see it.
All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am I have had the pleasant experience of familiarizing myself with the thinking of men whose intellect exceeds my own including Larry Swedroe, Taylor Larimore, John Bogle, Rick Ferri, and many others.
Women can think as well as men, maybe even better. They contribute to this forum too, but often you can't tell the gender of the writer.

* Pay off debt
* Keep it Simple
* Costs matter
* Diversify
* Tune out the "noise"

+1
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Personally I would never let others negatively influence what I do...I can't control others' actions but I can control how I react to them!
Last edited by tennisplyr on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am Frequenting this forum can only cause you to act. To tinker. To modify and modify until you reach an "optimal" allocation as per the latest factor paper or whatever it may be.
The flaw in your argument appears to be that you think everyone reacts the same way that you do.

Good luck. Have a good life.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I don’t want to only interact with people who have the same ideas as I do. I want to be exposed to different ideas, to different ways of looking at things. Maybe I’ll accept the alternate way of looking at things, and maybe I won’t.

I figure that if I stop learning and growing, I start into decline. I want to keep learning.

I also gathered some specialized learning from my working career that allows me to give my thoughts on certain financial products based on solid knowledge. I enjoy sharing my opinions with others from a position of knowledge.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Our pastor says no church is prefect. No forum is perfect either. This is the best one you will find.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Ramjet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 am Seems extreme. All or nothing as opposed to just visiting less frequently
I don't get the drama. I've never started a thread about leaving a forum. A forum either works for you or not. Stay, go or intermittent, no one cares.

And I don't get the drama about Flavor of the Month posts. If you don't care about the GameStop or the Great Adventure, just skip the thread.
We plan. G-d laughs.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I'm so grateful that participation in this forum is voluntary. I hope it will stay that way.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

260chrisb wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:21 amThis Boglehead is staying and staying the course!
Nicely phrased :beer
We plan. G-d laughs.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

TNWoods wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:54 am
Yes. The "5% Forum". Or the "Funny Money" forum.

TNWoods
I like this idea - especially phrased as a "Fun Money" forum, because, knowing Bogleheads, there will be endless arguments as to what construes "Active Investment". :twisted:
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Too bad... this is a great community. I browse most days and usually learn something new.

Just a few examples of amazing things I have learned here:

- How to enable ACH transfers into my 401k
- How to roll over basis from a IRA to a Roth IRA and the proper tax reporting for that
- Why it’s mathematically impossible to “beat the market” without using index funds (this reminds me not to tinker)
- How to tax-loss harvest and avoid wash sales
- How to set up a “mega-backdoor” Roth IRA
- How to diagnose and test water pressure in my house (had some very helpful discussions with engineers on here)
- How to make evening meals more exciting (this has been a great topic since being stuck at home)
- Where to get good deals on household appliances

Just ignore the threads you don’t want to read...
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I think it is the non BHs who make up the interesting part of this forum. When some BHs post they simply say things like, stay the course, nobody knows nothing. All platitudes that have me wonder why are they even posting.
This forum is full of indecisive people, techies who lose me by their arcane analysis, newbies asking same old, same old, artful tax manipulators, humblebraggers, save a penny on a thousand people, trolls, and miscreants of all financial sizes.
That’s what makes it so great.

So, while I do feel like the OP many times, I would never ban myself from opening this forum because then I would have ostracized myself and will look a fool to return. Better to opt out silently. Ghost away.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

Pete12 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:40 am Too bad... this is a great community. I browse most days and usually learn something new.

Just a few examples of amazing things I have learned here:

- How to enable ACH transfers into my 401k
- How to roll over basis from a IRA to a Roth IRA and the proper tax reporting for that
- Why it’s mathematically impossible to “beat the market” without using index funds (this reminds me not to tinker)
- How to tax-loss harvest and avoid wash sales
- How to set up a “mega-backdoor” Roth IRA
- How to diagnose and test water pressure in my house (had some very helpful discussions with engineers on here)
- How to make evening meals more exciting (this has been a great topic since being stuck at home)
- Where to get good deals on household appliances

Just ignore the threads you don’t want to read...
And just wait until it’s time for you to start researching Social Security and Medicare!

The information and help that you will get here is absolutely invaluable!
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

If the world and our lives were static, I would agree. But as the rules of investing have changed and I have grown with my family, my investing needs have changed. This website has been invaluable when I have had (and still have) questions along the way. Tax law changes, college savings, retirement planning are just a few examples of such topics where I have benefited. Hopefully I have helped a few along the way too.

I have been here over 20 years. This seems like a good time to say thank you Bogleheads!
Mark
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

I don't think that a good Boglehead must leave the forum. One needn't look any further than Taylor for an example of a person who is endlessly respectful, patient, welcoming and consistent at representing Mr. Bogle's views.

- Tim
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am To be a good Boglehead -- to truly live that philosophy of financial zen that passive investing is supposed to bring -- I must leave the Bogleheads forum, and direct my energies towards other matters.
It's important to know thyself. Not everyone can tune out the noise. Some find the reassurance and information that are available on this forum to be more helpful than the temptations. Some have the time and energy to contribute and pass on help to others. Given what you know about yourself, your chosen course of action sounds very wise.
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

Goodbye and good luck.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Even gambling and speculation topics are addressed here with thoughtful discussion. You can't find it anywhere else on the internet.

When I wanted to understand what was happening with GME, this forum was the the place to go. Yes sometimes there is noise; however, for the most part the conversations have substance (thanks mods!). :beer
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

All complex topics increase in their complexity based on the importance they receive by the individual combined with the absence of information that reduces certainty with decision making. Basically, the Boglehead concepts are extremely valuable guidelines but not absolute. If being a "Good Boglehead" requires an absolute viewpoint, then agreed that there is no need to come to this or any other investment forum. Some of us just have to slog along using most of the principles of this wonderful forum and occasionally change our views with different investment seasons while attending to those threads that aid in doing so. Just one opinion, of course, and accompanied with best wishes for your investing future.

Tim