Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave The Bogleheads Forum

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
GRP

Re: Why A Good Boglehead Must Leave The Bogleheads Forum

Post by GRP »

OP hasn't even so much as logged in since creating this thread. Looks like he's made good on his commitment.

Best wishes, All Seasons!

Not going to lie: OP has me thinking about my own financial media browsing habits...
Almost nothing turns out as expected.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

GRP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 pm OP hasn't even so much as logged in since creating this thread. Looks like he's made good on his commitment.

Not going to lie: OP has me thinking about my own financial media browsing habits...
He will be back as a lurker. Guaranteed.
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

GRP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 pm OP hasn't even so much as logged in since creating this thread. Looks like he's made good on his commitment.

I was pretty obsessed with investing for a few years. Then, I mostly lost interest and found new obsessions :)

- Tim
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

This forum is a buffet where you pick what you want. The wide variety of things being discussed on BH forum makes it informative and entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the members on this forum are not BHs.

TravelforFun
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Try limiting your intake by bypassing the post listings and going directly to the Forums of interest to you. It works for me by focusing on Personal Finance and Consumer Issues.
bonglehead

Post by bonglehead »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:26 pm This forum is a buffet where you pick what you want. The wide variety of things being discussed on BH forum makes it informative and entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the members on this forum are not BHs.

TravelforFun
100% agree, I understood the boglehead investing principles within the first few weeks of signing up at this forum and I have adopted some of them but I still visit here regularly (several years now) to pick up (and sometimes share) other nuggets of wisdom on this site.
Mr. Benedictine

Post by Mr. Benedictine »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:26 am There are only so many ways to discuss a 3 fund portfolio. I wouldn't enjoy a forum that was strictly BH investors with 100 BH portfolios and stable household budgets.

All that other junk is what's fun to talk about day to day.
So true. That is the essence of sports talk radio which I love as well
Godot

Post by Godot »

How do you know whether or not he has logged in?
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
Macbrother

Post by Macbrother »

There's so many great posts on this thread. I too, view this forum as a sort of "home base," where logic and reason will always prevail. So many dedicated posters with no ego, who's only goal is to be rational.

For those like me who get a vicarious thrill from watching the speculators - I say rock on.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Godot wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:10 pm

If you click on a BH member's name, you'll get to that person's profile.
That contains info including the "last active" time.
However, that won't indicate if someone has been viewing without logging in.
There is also a link there to "search user's posts".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

bonglehead wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:38 pm
TravelforFun wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:26 pm This forum is a buffet where you pick what you want. The wide variety of things being discussed on BH forum makes it informative and entertaining. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the members on this forum are not BHs.

TravelforFun
100% agree, I understood the boglehead investing principles within the first few weeks of signing up at this forum and I have adopted some of them but I still visit here regularly (several years now) to pick up (and sometimes share) other nuggets of wisdom on this site.
You've been visiting this forum regularly for several years and only posted or commented 50 times? Come on ... Get cracking. :D

TravelforFun
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am ...
Frequenting this forum can only cause you to act. To tinker. To modify and modify until you reach an "optimal" allocation as per the latest factor paper or whatever it may be. The very act of browsing this forum all the time is antithetical to the very principles that our community espouses.
If this is what's happened to you and you've tried but can't prevent it, then leaving may be the
only way to deal with the "noise." Whether that's being a "good Boglehead," I'm not sure since it seems you are spreading a lot of blame around.

For me, the "noise" is sometimes irritating, even frustrating mainly because it's predictable, but soon I'm turning to the wiser stuff and learning something new. To each his or her own.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Godot

Post by Godot »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm
Godot wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:10 pm

If you click on a BH member's name, you'll get to that person's profile.
That contains info including the "last active" time.
However, that won't indicate if someone has been viewing without logging in.
There is also a link there to "search user's posts".

RM
Ah, thank you, RM.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
megabad

Post by megabad »

Totally agree that Bogleheads has never been conducive to financial zen for me. But I am not a very zen person. I take breaks every so often, nothing wrong with that. I took one so long I forgot my password to my account and my email password to recover it. Not sure I agree that tinkering is bad or wrong or anti boglehead. That is kind of the point of the forum—to ask actionable questions, but obviously there is a balance to be maintained.

I will say the content of the forum ebbs and flows with the news at the time and so I can see some folks having more or less appreciation for post content depending on which season we are in. And it gets more or less Boglehead based on these investing “seasons”.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

It's not just what you take, but probably equally important, what you give.
BTW, what is a "bad" Boglehead?
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am ...you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy...
I can relate to this. I am envious you can say goodbye so easily. I find this forum rather addictive.
davedci1

Post by davedci1 »

finite_difference wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:59 am One reason to stay: passing on the wisdom and knowledge.
Thank you for stating that. I'm a young investor and yes, there is noise on the forum however many of us young investors continue to visit the sight because we trust the wisdom of the Bogleheads'.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I've learned a great deal from the thoughtful people on this forum. Thank you!

I've tried to share my insights on things about which I have experience with those who are seeking advice.

If I never wanted to view another post about investing, I'd still visit this forum. The movie and television show recommendations, advice about wifi/cable modems/TVs have made it much easier to get through this pandemic. Thank you!
GRP

Post by GRP »

All Seasons wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 am
Thank you for the engaging discussions.
OP, if you are still around or perhaps lurking, the following thread may be of interesting perspective to you.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=340626&newpost=5828931
Almost nothing turns out as expected.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

You don't have to eat everything at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
I don't read every subject. There is a lot of great information, questions and answers, and camaraderie.
checkyourmath

Post by checkyourmath »

chemocean wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:30 pm Try limiting your intake by bypassing the post listings and going directly to the Forums of interest to you. It works for me by focusing on Personal Finance and Consumer Issues.
I wish there was a way to filter only the feeds I like then I could ignore the other 95 percent of the stuff on here.
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

checkyourmath wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:17 pm
chemocean wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:30 pm Try limiting your intake by bypassing the post listings and going directly to the Forums of interest to you. It works for me by focusing on Personal Finance and Consumer Issues.
I wish there was a way to filter only the feeds I like then I could ignore the other 95 percent of the stuff on here.
Read the titles and ignore those that do not interest you - that eliminates 99% plus of the posts that may offend - it is a quick skim to look at the feed titles
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Some disrespectful comments were removed. As a reminder, see General Etiquette:
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 am
JustinR wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am Should there be an "Active Investing, Speculation, and Gambling" forum where all that stuff should go?
Bingo!
well, no need to to make one here. anyone can easily go to wallstreetbets on reddit.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Reading the forum hasn't caused me, or even tempted me, to change my portfolio or my AA. Noise is noise, whether it is the general press or this forum.

That said, I find LOTS of very useful information on subjects as diverse as books to read, coffee recommendations, TV shows to watch, DIY tips, and consumer issues like streaming services, and---really importantly---mortgage refinance. I'd never heard of lenderfi, but 2 refi's later, we're paying $460/month less! Quite significant, and it highlights the flip side of bogleheads. It isn't just what you earn, but----especially in retirement---expenses you AVOID. All the recommendations on that have been extremely useful.

Despite many posts to the effect of "do this, for God's sake avoid that", I still at a 50/50 three fund portfolio and very happy with it. Pick and choose the other content according to you needs. I find some of it very useful.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

OP: Maybe you've gotten all you've needed out of this place--that's wonderful! If seeing threads about active investing has a negative impact on you, it shows good self-awareness that you realize that. Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your perspective.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My investments are pretty much on autopilot. I take breaks from Bogleheads for months at a time. But then I get curious about what books people are reading, come back and end up explaining to someone how a Mazda3 is the perfect car for every occasion.

Actually, I stay because investing and personal finance are not static topics. Laws change, new financial products are introduced, interest rate changes affect my returns, etc. I get the straight skinny on all that stuff from other Bogleheads. Other websites are usually trying to sell me something.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

I'll never stop visiting this site because it's a politics free zone. Every other site about finance, sports, entertainment... it's often mixed with politics. As soon as this site starts becoming political... which is probably inevitable at some point... then I'm out!
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

brian91480 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:38 pm I'll never stop visiting this site because it's a politics free zone. Every other site about finance, sports, entertainment... it's often mixed with politics. As soon as this site starts becoming political... which is probably inevitable at some point... then I'm out!
+1000 on that.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

brian91480 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:38 pm As soon as this site starts becoming political... which is probably inevitable at some point... then I'm out!
So long as our current crop of moderators remain active, I’m certain that the site will remain politics free.

And I’m sure that there’s a “Son (Daughter) Of LadyGeek” out there somewhere who will carry on with the enforcement of the rules.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Well, so much for that -- he's made about eight posts since. Sadly, they all seem centered around the question of the right amount of gold to hold in a portfolio. :?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

celia wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 am
...the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.

The above is not the Bogleheads philosophy, but possibly a by-product. Bogleheads believe in:
* Live below your means (and save the rest)
* Pay off debt
* Establish an emergency fund
* Save early and regularly
* Keep it Simple
* Costs matter
* Diversify
* Tune out the "noise"

After a while, I started noticing that after you have met your needs for the future and you have "extra" money, you can then consider 5% or 10% of your portfolio as "play money" and invest it in individual stocks or anything else. But this should only be for money you can afford to lose. So sometimes we talk about that.

I see the purpose of this forum as not just re-enforcing these principles (because you can get that from reading a Bogleheads book), but also helping each other by sharing your portfolio or some financial plans, getting the best value when you spend as a consumer, understanding how to fill out and file your tax return and the changing tax laws, how to understand insurance plans, Medicare, SS, RMDs, and planning for long-term care and leaving your assets to your heirs. If you will never guide a "new" adult towards college, need to plan your Health Care DPOA, upgrade your career, re-balance your portfolio, answer someone else's questions, take advantage of tax credits, or buy a new car or appliance, maybe you don't need Bogleheads.

This forum is not for everyone. Only you can tell if it meets your needs. If it doesn't or all your needs are already covered and you will never need to adjust them, we understand that you can make better use of your time elsewhere.

I wish you success and good health.
This is wonderful.
I just reread it recently, though belatedly.
Thanks for writing it.

Aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

celia wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:51 am I think you missed the purpose of Bogleheads. Your description is not how I see it.
[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]
...the purpose of the Boglehead philosophy: that you shouldn't need to pay any mind to your investments at all. Your money should be beneath you. It should be working for you, silently. It should not be something that is allowed to consume appreciable portions of your mental energy.
The above is not the Bogleheads philosophy, but possibly a by-product. Bogleheads believe in:
* Live below your means (and save the rest)
* Pay off debt
* Establish an emergency fund
* Save early and regularly
* Keep it Simple
* Costs matter
* Diversify
* Tune out the "noise"

After a while, I started noticing that after you have met your needs for the future and you have "extra" money, you can then consider 5% or 10% of your portfolio as "play money" and invest it in individual stocks or anything else. But this should only be for money you can afford to lose. So sometimes we talk about that.

I see the purpose of this forum as not just re-enforcing these principles (because you can get that from reading a Bogleheads book), but also helping each other by sharing your portfolio or some financial plans, getting the best value when you spend as a consumer, understanding how to fill out and file your tax return and the changing tax laws, how to understand insurance plans, Medicare, SS, RMDs, and planning for long-term care and leaving your assets to your heirs. If you will never guide a "new" adult towards college, need to plan your Health Care DPOA, upgrade your career, re-balance your portfolio, answer someone else's questions, take advantage of tax credits, or buy a new car or appliance, maybe you don't need Bogleheads.

This forum is not for everyone. Only you can tell if it meets your needs. If it doesn't or all your needs are already covered and you will never need to adjust them, we understand that you can make better use of your time elsewhere.

I wish you success and good health.
+1. To me, this forum is much broader than 3 funds, asset allocation; which to me makes it interesting. Admittedly, some things can get redundant, but that I believe is the purpose of the forum, to educate [new] people. I also enjoy and appreciate the real-life experiences and also the professionals that take the time to contribute.

One doesnt need a forum for “US stock index, International stock index, Intermediate term bond index; 70/20/10 up to age 45, then glide slope to 50/10/40 at retirement, rebalance annually, and minimize your expenses. Then withdraw no more than 3.5% annually after retirement.”

Cheers
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
elle

Post by elle »

JSPECO9 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:16 am
JustinR wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am Should there be an "Active Investing, Speculation, and Gambling" forum where all that stuff should go?
IMO absolutely...

If you go on r/Bogleheads on Reddit, it's a lot more about Bogleheads philosophy than this website is today. The reason for that is that people who are into speculating (which it seems like almost everyone is now) have their own space to talk about speculation rather than filling the Bogleheads forum.

I agree with OP, I love this site and I do like coming on here to talk about anything related to passive investing. But it's just so filled with clutter now it feels like I'm searching for actual passive investing threads to learn from.
I feel like this is a product of well defined and written wikis. It cuts most passive investing discussions to ‘read the wiki’. Whereas topics that don’t follow Bogleheads investment theory tend to drag on.

I selectively read topics that interest me. Either to impart advice or to learn. I read maybe 30% of what gets posted here.

Best of luck. Do what keeps you on track.