How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar? [a.k.a. Calendar of Events]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
siamond

How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar? [a.k.a. Calendar of Events]

Post by siamond »

If you click on the blog link, then 'local chapters and events', then 'upcoming events', you will find a handy page with a calendar documenting the future meetings from our various local chapters (which include various online meetings nowadays):
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/upcoming-events/

This is great, except that very few people know that. It actually took me a little while to figure out where to go and I knew in advance what I was looking for... :shock:

It seems to me that this kind of handy page needs to be advertised in a more 'pushy' manner, e.g. something visible when one is looking for something else... Maybe a new entry in the 'Quick Links' menu?

Any other idea?
Last edited by siamond on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
frugalmama

Re: How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar?

Post by frugalmama »

I think an Entry on the Quick Links menu is a great idea. I didn't know that this existed.
blackhawkfan

Post by blackhawkfan »

I second that a quick link should be prominent for a chapter events calendar. I never knew it existed until other members pointed it out to me and even then took a bit to find. With the focus on chapters partnering in the age of virtual meetings to spread the knowledge around, I would be a supporter of making the calendar front and center and easy to use. Also include a way to contact or at least the contact information for that local chapter to get the link to the meeting if you desire to participate.

Keith
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Adding the Calendar to Quick Links would certainly be helpful. However, IMHO, adding it to the TOP menu (e.g. before "Wiki" and "Blog" links) would make it a constant reminder for all (including newbies).

However, since the Calendar is currently embedded in the Blog, I believe only blbarnitz, and a few others, can add content. Perhaps the Calendar could be converted to a Google Calendar (or similar), with "trusted" Local Chapter Coordinators given access to post upcoming meetings.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

sleepysurf wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:59 pm Adding the Calendar to Quick Links would certainly be helpful. However, IMHO, adding it to the TOP menu (e.g. before "Wiki" and "Blog" links) would make it a constant reminder for all (including newbies).

However, since the Calendar is currently embedded in the Blog, I believe only blbarnitz, and a few others, can add content. Perhaps the Calendar could be converted to a Google Calendar (or similar), with "trusted" Local Chapter Coordinators given access to post upcoming meetings.
Hi:

I would greatly appreciate local chapter coordinators having editing access to the calendar (at present, I subscribe to the Local Chapters forum to get notice of meetings from forum postings, but not all chapters use the forum for this purpose). In order to process calendar editing access I need an e-mail address. Any coordinator can pm me with an e-mail address, and I can set you up to add and edit calendar entries.

Note that, in addition to the dedicated forum for Local Chapters here, we try to consolidate Local Chapter information on the blog.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Angst

Post by Angst »

siamond wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:40 am If you click on the blog link, then 'local chapters and events', then 'upcoming events', you will find a handy page with a calendar documenting the future meetings from our various local chapters (which include various online meetings nowadays):
https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/upcoming-events/

This is great, except that very few people know that. It actually took me a little while to figure out where to go and I knew in advance what I was looking for... :shock:

It seems to me that this kind of handy page needs to be advertised in a more 'pushy' manner, e.g. something visible when one is looking for something else... Maybe a new entry in the 'Quick Links' menu?

Any other idea?
Here's my 2¢ :D

With respect to the things I note below...

- Your thread is "How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar?"
- The webpage URL is bogleheads.org/blog/upcoming-events/
- The centerpiece of the webpage is a calendar.
- The webpage header displayed above a couple explanatory sentences is "Upcoming events"
- The calendar's actual heading says "Boglehead.org Calendar of events"

... my suggestion is to change all the red text items above to the wording "Calendar of Events" and add it (same wording) as a link somewhere in the main Boglehead.org webpage.

- Consistent wording is always better in this sort of context. Generally, "less" is better too.
- Yes, capitalize the E! It looks better.
- "Upcoming" is generally implied with a calendar. :) As is "future", even "past"
- The URL could be changed to something like: /Calendar_of_Events/
- The webpage header says "Upcoming events"... ughh! The webpage is a Calendar, say no more. Well, I have to admit, "Calendar of Events" just sounds better than "Calendar" alone. It's more sophisticated and it sounds like something worth checking out.

ps - whatever you do, siamond, you're awesome! thank you.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Angst wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:11 pmps - whatever you do, siamond, you're awesome! thank you.
Thank you!! :happy :happy

Even better considering that I did nothing but whining here! This kind of work is done by the uber dedicated Barry Barnitz and Ladygeek. :wink:

Jokes aside, I agree with your point, consistent naming helps.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi

Titles, links and urls emended: Calendar of Events.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Thanks Barry for your help with this. An accurate calendar will help. I really like the feature to COPY TO MY CALENDAR on the events. No matter who's calendar the event appears, if it's not on MY calendar, it will be forgotten. I really like how the event translates to my local time even though it's on the event calendar in Eastern Time Zone.

Not only did I not know about the calendar till recently. But actually was saying to my self.... it would be nice if I could subscribe to a topic without commenting and get feedback on new posts. Then I stumbled on the bookmark function.

Angst

Post by Angst »

Barry Barnitz wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:31 pm Hi

Titles, links and urls emended: Calendar of Events.

regards,
Wow! Thank you Barry for considering and addressing this so quickly. Do you (or anyone else) also think the calendar perhaps should have a "Calendar of Events" link at the main bogleheads.org webpage, maybe over on the left under Bogleheads® Blog, or under the Resources category? It seems to me like it's something that could easily interest someone perusing the main page, whether for the first time or simply on occasion, but I'm just thinking out loud here. I must say, I do like calendars! And I didn't even know we had one. :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Barry has added a link under the main menu "Local chapters and events" --> "Calendar of Events".

Unfortunately, changing the name of the page broke the links to the old name "Upcoming Events".

I have created a page which will redirect readers to the current page. Upcoming Events
This page has moved to Calendar of Events.
To the wiki editors:

When you change an article's name, external sites - like this forum - will still point to the old link.

This is why the wiki creates a "redirect". Anyone with the "old" link will be redirected to the new article.

I have done exactly that with our blog. In this case, it's not done automatically and I've just noted where the new page is located.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

^^^^^^ All great changes, thank you.

My first point remains though, how to advertise the sheer existence of such calendar page? How to make forum users discover it?
gailcox

Re: How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar? [a.k.a. Calendar of Events]

Post by gailcox »

Thank you everyone who has worked on this. Ladygeek and Barry do such a great job. I agree with Siamond that I wish the Chapters calendar page could be more prominent on the forum and not just on the Blog.
Topic Author
siamond

Re: How to better advertise the Upcoming Events calendar? [a.k.a. Calendar of Events]

Post by siamond »

One more thought. I suspect the problem is actually broader than this specific issue and there is a number of other handy things that we may want to promote, for which we should give easy access/discovery.

I have been told that the Quick Links menu can't be easily customized, but maybe there is an easy way to add a 'Utilities' entry on the top bar, which would have a similar format as Quick Links, i.e a drop-down menu of links, and admins could easily add various things in there over time, starting by the calendar of events, maybe downgrade the 'forum policies' and 'support this site' link in there, etc. No clue if it's more practical though...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Quick links drop-down can be customized, but we're out of room. That drop-down adds the remaining links in the header menu (top bar) when the browser width gets smaller, such as on a mobile device. Adding another link would push entries into the drop-down list.

No further entries on the header should be added, as it would remove the links that need to stay visible all the time.

Adding a 'Utility' entry to the header menu (top bar) is the same concern.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:10 am The Quick links drop-down can be customized, but we're out of room. That drop-down adds the remaining links in the header menu (top bar) when the browser width gets smaller, such as on a mobile device. Adding another link would push entries into the drop-down list.

No further entries on the header should be added, as it would remove the links that need to stay visible all the time.

Adding a 'Utility' entry to the header menu (top bar) is the same concern.
How about combining (and re-titling) a couple of Header listings, to make room for Calendar, while keeping everything visible, e.g....
-Merge Forum Policies and FAQ's into "Policies/FAQ's" (with drop-down link to each), and
-Merge Wiki and Blog into "Wiki/Blog" drop-down

Is that feasible?
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

Suggestions that are not optimal but do promote visibility within parameter limits.

1.On the post index home page, add a link to the Calendar of Events in the Resources segment of the sidebar. This places only two links in this section.

2. On the forum, place text and link to the calendar in the Local Chapters section, similar to what is done in the Non-US Investors section, which places the following segment visible at all times to readers of the non-US forums:
For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
Note that the underlined are links to the forums in Canada and Spain.

Thus the current Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community segment, could add a link to the Calendar of Events:
Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Subforums: US Chapters, Non-US Chapters
Calendar of Events
regards,
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ The above 2 options work best. Since this is a change to the forum and home page layout, I'll need to get the site owners' approval.

The link will show up just under this forum's "Wiki and Reference Library".

Remember that we have a Non-US Chapters forum. I was thinking to add the link in that forum as well.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Thank you everyone for the dialogue. LadyGeek and Barry do such a great job. I appreciate you two! Thanks Siamond, sleepysurf and others for trying to hash this out. The goal is visibility and you all know so much more than I do on how to make this happen. So many Bogleheads don't even know that local (and Int'l) chapters exist. Question: When a chapter leader posts an upcoming meeting on the forum, does that post appear anywhere else but the Community/local chapters area of the forum?

Cheerio!
Gail
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

gailcox wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 am Question: When a chapter leader posts an upcoming meeting on the forum, does that post appear anywhere else but the Community/local chapters area of the forum?

I just posted a reminder on our Chicago Virtual thread for our Wed Feb 3rd Health Care costs in preretirement to medicare.

It appears on the bogleheads.org page - as shown here:

And it will appear in this forum group:

if you click the link by the red arrow - you will see

gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Thank you HoosierJim! I was was pretty sure it appeared on the forum page but I guess those posts get buried pretty quickly. I used to see the chapter reminders alot on there, not so much any more.
Gail
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I'm working on Barry Barntiz's suggestion, but I don't have a time frame when it will be implemented.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The site owners have approved the changes, we're now "live".

The site home page has added a Calendar of Events link under the blog section (desktop view only). (We also removed the "Latest updates" from the wiki section.)

Readers will see a new "Calendar of Events" link in the Board index. This is the landing page for those who don't use the site home page.
Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Subforums: US Chapters, Non-US Chapters, Calendar of Events
Clicking on Community or Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community will show a new entry:
Image Calendar of Events
A calendar of Bogleheads chapter meetings, conferences, and related events.
Thanks to the members who assisted with reviewing these changes.
Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond »

Thanks for the tireless work, Ladygeek. A definite improvement.
Angst

Post by Angst »

siamond wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 am Thanks for the tireless work, Ladygeek. A definite improvement.
Yes indeed! It all looks great, and thanks to Barry too, and to you siamond of course.
:beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Calendar of Events page has been revised to better reflect the content.

In addition to chapter meetings, the calendar contains the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy's Speaker Series events, as well as Rick Ferri's Bogleheads on Investing podcasts. The blog page description has been revised.

Additionally, the page layout has changed to better accommodate mobile devices. The calendar is now at the top of the page and the graphic showing a generic US map has been removed.

See: Calendar of Events

=========================
I also want to mention that a small group of Bogleheads chapter members (including myself) are actively working to publish the Zoom meeting records. The meetings, as well as supporting files (PDF, spreadsheets, etc.), will be made available on a forthcoming blog page where readers can go to find this information.

Additionally this effort is being coordinated / collaborate with Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. Both myself and Barry Barnitz are admins on the Bogle Center website and we work with the board members closely.

The Calendar of Event is also now available on the Bogle Center website: Calendar of Events (Bogle Center for Financial Literacy)

Give us a few weeks to get everything organized.

If anyone has real-world experience with video editing and you'd be willing to volunteer some time, please PM me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Zoom meeting recordings and material presented at the virtual chapter meetings are now in the Bogleheads blog. See: Virtual chapter meeting presentations now in the blog
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Has anyone other than myself noticed that the Google calendar in the blog's Calendar of Events page was no longer displayed? It broke a few days ago, but I haven't heard anyone mention that anything was wrong. I privately confirmed the problem with another member.

I was unable to see the calendar with everything I threw at it. With a PC desktop in both Linux and Windows 10; Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers; logged into my Google account or not. I have two identical Android cellphones - one displayed the calendar, one did not. :?

I don't own any Apple products.

Long story short, I think this is a problem with the way Google interacts with your device and account. I have no idea what changed. To that end, I have added a second way to access the calendar on that page. Just under the calendar note is a new instruction.
Click or tap on this link if you do not see the calendar.
For the software crowd:

If you don't see the embedded calendar, open Chrome's or Firefox's Inspect tool. Go to the Console tab and find the 404 error.

The work-around link above is HTML-only. It has different behavior than the embedded calendar when you click/tap on an event.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:28 pm Has anyone other than myself noticed that the Google calendar in the blog's Calendar of Events page was no longer displayed? ...
Click or tap on this link if you do not see the calendar.
Wow! Good catch! This is a major concern, as many Chapter Coordinators are using the calendar to share Zoom links for upcoming virtual meetings. Your workaround link is a good temporary fix, but blends in with all the other text.

Until there is a better solution, I suggest adding color and/or bold font, to highlight the workaround.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fixed! See: Calendar of Events (also fixed on the Bogle Center website calendar page here)

What changed? No clue, but it was something on Google's side of the fence.

For the software crowd:

Here's Google's embed code extracted from the calendar: Google calendar --> Settings --> Integrate calendar --> Embed code

Code: Select all

<iframe src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=avenlv3erdrmo6kutsjn2n1jcg%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Here's what worked until recently. It's implemented as a WordPress editor HTML block.

<figure><iframe style="border: 0;" src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=avenlv3erdrmo6kutsjn2n1jcg%40group.calendar.google.com&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York" scrolling="no" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe></figure>
Here's what works now:

<figure><iframe style="border-width:0; frameborder:0; scrolling:no; height:600px; width:100%;" src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?hl=en_GB&amp;src=avenlv3erdrmo6kutsjn2n1jcg@group.calendar.google.com&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York"></iframe></figure>
Aside from cleaning up the style format, I added the fix - an "hl=en_GB" parameter. That defines the calendar language as English (British). We never needed this before and it's not part of the Google calendar embed code.

I should also note that I tested this on desktop and mobile devices - my "live" Android cellphone and Chrome's Inspect mobile emulator. An emulator is not hardware, but it's a good first check.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

It works. However, when testing in MS Edge and Google Chrome (incognito mode), it defaults to Mon as the first day of the week. At least everything is still there!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good eyes, I missed that. It's fixed: Calendar of Events (also fixed on the Bogle Center website calendar page here)

Thanks! You gave me the clue I needed to figure out what this change does. Why does the calendar start on Monday and not Sunday? Because that's the normal start of the workweek in Great Britain. The US starts on Sunday. See: Monday: the Moon’s Day

Whenever you travel to a different country, things change. Not only the time zone, but the time format (2 PM to 14:00), currency (Dollar $ to Euro €), dates (month/day/year to day/month/year), and the starting day of the workweek. It's called a Locale and is something software developers need to take into account.

For the software crowd:

The parameter "hl=en_GB" is not language, but locale. Here's the API reference: Settings  |  Calendar API  |  Google Developers

I changed the locale to "hl=en", the default setting. I still don't know why I had to specify a default setting, but it won't work without it.

What we have now:

<figure><iframe style="border-width:0; frameborder:0; scrolling:no; height:600px; width:100%;" src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?hl=en&amp;src=avenlv3erdrmo6kutsjn2n1jcg@group.calendar.google.com&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York"></iframe></figure>
Hopefully, that should do it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As it currently stands, the only way to be notified of upcoming events is by monitoring the Calendar of Events or by the local chapter lead's email announcements.

The virtual chapter events are open to everyone. To make things easier, we have created an email subscription list that anyone can join.

I'm working with the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. We have also made a similar subscription list for the Speaker Series.

Please see the new "Subscribe to the Virtual Events" section on the blog's Calendar of Events page.

You can subscribe to the virtual Chapter Series, Speaker Series, or both lists.

You can also subscribe on the John C. Bogle Center site's Calendar of Events page.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Bogle Center has just announced that the Speaker Series is in hiatus. See: Subject: Register NOW for these Bogleheads Speaker Series Events
Mike Nolan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm Thanks, all, for your continued interest in the Bogleheads Speaker Series. The monthly Speaker Series is going on hiatus for now, but please stay tuned for announcements about future events, both virtual and, eventually, in-person. Virtual events hosted by the various Bogleheads chapters will continue, so check out the calendar of events for upcoming sessions.
I have removed the Speaker Series subscription list from the blog and Bogle Center website.