Hear ye, hear ye!! [New virtual chapters based on "Life Stage"]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
gailcox

Hear ye, hear ye!! [New virtual chapters based on "Life Stage"]

Post by gailcox »

Greetings Bogleheads! I’m Gail Cox, long-time Boglehead and I also serve on the board of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy. My job with The Bogle Center is to assist the local chapters with whatever they may need. For those of you not aware, there are about 30 active geography-based Bogleheads chapters that are meeting virtually right now.

There is an interest in forming some new virtual chapters, based on “Life Stage”. For example, are you just starting out and not sure what the basic principles of investing are? Are you still paying off student loan debt? Do you have children that you need to start college accounts for? Are your kids out of college and off the payroll? Or, are you approaching retirement in 10-15 years and need to start thinking of tax implications? Are you taking care of elderly parents? Perhaps you are retired but not sure how you should be drawing down your retirement assets.

These new chapters will attract Bogleheads from all over the U.S., since the meetings will be virtual. I’m thinking we will need 3-4 Bogleheads that would lead such Life Stage chapters. Format, content and frequency of the new chapter will be up to you.

If you’d like to be part of this exciting new initiative, email me!

Gail Cox
gcox@bogle.center
HoosierJim

Re: Hear ye, hear ye!!

Post by HoosierJim »

The Chicago Virtual Bogleheads group's next meeting is on February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. Our presentation fits in your "Life Stage" of people planning to retire and want to know more about health care options. The presentation will be of interest to people contemplating retirement health care options and costs & employees that are considering self employment.

An invite has been sent to all local chapter coordinators so get on one of those groups or if there are no groups near you, we can add you to the Chicago group.

Here is a link to the local chapter coordinator pages.

PM me with your email if you can't find a local group to join.
sport

Post by sport »

Can't all these questions and concerns be addressed using the existing Bogleheads forums? What is the need for subject-based virtual chapters?
Last edited by sport on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

sport wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm Can't all these questions and concerns be addressed using the existing Bogleheads forums? What is the need for subject-based virtual chapters?
Some people want more meetings in their life.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

To get more replies, I'd suggest changing the name of this thread.

Perhaps retitle it "call for boglehead subject experts for themed meetings".
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Hear ye, hear ye!! [New virtual chapters based on "Life Stage"]

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I retitled the thread.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post. One of the reasons is "Misleading Title".)

FYI - You can find upcoming local chapter meetings and events in the Bogleheads blog. Blog? Yes, we have a blog. See: Upcoming events

You can also find a link to the calendar in the forum sticky: Re: Bogleheads Local Chapters - General Info and Chapter List

If anyone has an event they'd like to get on the calendar, please PM Barry Barnitz or myself.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rob

Post by rob »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:39 pm FYI - You can find upcoming local chapter meetings and events in the Bogleheads blog. Blog? Yes, we have a blog. See: Upcoming events
Hey - You have a broken link on that page (at least for me) "See Inactive chapters for information regarding chapters not currently scheduling meetings."
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Yo (Philly speak) - Thanks! It was intended to refer to the inactive chapters listed below the calendar. It's fixed. See: Upcoming events
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sport wrote: Can't all these questions and concerns be addressed using the existing Bogleheads forums? What is the need for subject-based virtual chapters?
I think they are in addition to the existing forum and local chapters because many Bogleheads wish to learn more about personal finance that is particularly relevant to a specific life stage, such as early millennial/just starting out investing, or pre-retirement/5 years from retirement investing. We sometimes see posters on the forum expressly wishing there were sub-forums limited to those time periods.

Also, many Bogleheads like presentations, rather than sitting and reading posts on a computer by themselves. They may learn better or just like the oral presentation, as well as the social give & take or Q & A that accompanies the presentation. The online presentations that I've attended have been very helpful.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

sport wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm Can't all these questions and concerns be addressed using the existing Bogleheads forums? What is the need for subject-based virtual chapters?
Here are some reasons...

-There's an important "social" aspect with virtual (and "in-person") meetings that anonymous discussion board posts can't provide (hence the mad scramble for annual BH meeting attendance in previous years).
-Many/most BH 's aren't able to attend local "in-person" Chapter meetings.
-Even if you have a local BH Chapter, and are able to attend, member presentations/discussions may not be relevant for your "Life Stage"
-With the pandemic, we've discovered that Zoom (and similar platforms) can work fairly well, with no geographic constraints (other than time-zone issues).
-In-depth virtual presentations and discussions for a specific "Life Stage" topic, would be a more efficient way to share knowledge/experience with those most interested in the subject.
-Virtual (like in-person) discussions allow "real time" interactive feedback.

This proposal would not replace local BH Chapter meetings, but complement them, as an additional resource, like the "Bogleheads on Investing" podcasts and current "BH Speaker Series" do.

Looking forward to more input on this proposal from the BH community at large.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

just a reminder.....

The Chicago Virtual Bogleheads group's next meeting is on February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. Our presentation fits in your "Life Stage" of people planning to retire and want to know more about health care options. The presentation will be of interest to people contemplating retirement health care options and costs & employees that are considering self employment.

An invite has been sent to all local chapter coordinators so get on one of those groups or if there are no groups near you, we can add you to the Chicago group.

Here is a link to the local chapter coordinator pages.

PM me with your email if you can't find a local group to join.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Just "bumping" this discussion, in hopes of getting additional volunteers (besides current Chapter Coordinators) to assist Gail in spearheading this initiative.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The Chicago Virtual Bogleheads group had a presentation on Planning Preretirement to Medicare Costs. About 85 people attended via a zoom meeting from all over the country.

Based the discussion last night, future presentations are needed for:
  • Transitioning into Medicare
  • HSA Plans
  • Using retirement tools such as I-ORP

If anyone is knowlegable in those topics and can put together a presentation, we would like to get you on the calendar.

The calendar can be found here.

Join your local chapter - here is a link to the local chapter coordinator pages.

PM me with your email if you can't find a local group to join and we can add you to the Chicago Virtual local board.
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Thank you, Jim for posting this. I appreciate you!

Gail
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

gailcox wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:11 am There is an interest in forming some new virtual chapters, based on “Life Stage”.
I think it is an excellent thought and worth exploring.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Bumping this thread.

For anybody interested in helping coordinate one of the four "Life Stage Virtual Chapters," Gail Cox has scheduled another organizational Zoom meeting for Tuesday, March 23rd, at 7pm (Central Time). You can PM her for the Zoom link, or more information. These focused "Life Stage" Virtual Chapters are intended to supplement the Local BH Chapter meetings, and offer "deeper dives" into topics specific for each cohort.

The four "Life Stages" are...
  • Getting Started
  • Mid Life/Career/Accumulator
  • Pre/Early Retirement
  • Retirement
Most of the volunteers currently assisting Gail are also Local Chapter Coordinators. Some will (ultimately) want to pass the "Life Stage Coordinator" baton to another capable BH volunteer, so they may focus on their Local Chapter growth and programming. If you'd like to help out, please raise your hand!
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Hello Bogleheads!!

I'd like to extend an invitation for you to attend a "Life Stage Virtual Chapters" informational meeting. We are meeting on Tuesday, March 23rd on a Zoom chat, to talk more about this exciting new initiative of "Life Stage" chapters. Come see if you find your fit in helping lead one of these chapters.

There are 4 Life Stage chapters--

*Starting Out (20's to 40's)
*Mid Life/Career/Accumulator. (30's to 50's)
*Pre/Early Retirement. (50's to 70's)
*Retirement (60's and above)

Each of the new chapters needs Bogleheads to help lead meetings, gather content, schedule speakers, even to send out the Zoom invites. We estimate each Life Stage chapter will meet once a month or once every other month--it's totally dependent on the team.

As of now, Life Stage Virtual Chapters have received their kick off from currently serving chapter leaders. Their know-how and ingenuity helped develop the mission statement, goals and topics to be covered in the up-coming virtual meetings. As soon as we have committed Bogleheads in place, to take their place, they will return to their first priority, which is their own local chapter.

I'd love for you to join us on March 23rd for you to learn and listen about the Life Stage Virtual Chapters and to find the perfect place for you to serve!

Thanks so much and I can't wait to meet you!

Gail Cox
gcox@bogle.center
Last edited by gailcox on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Bump for visibility!
itsjustme

Post by itsjustme »

I enjoy bouncing ideas off others in my similar life stage however I'd recommend also diversifying where you get advice. The advice from people that are already retired helps me avoid pre-retirement mistakes. I'm not confident that other people in my same stage of life can bring the same level of experience. With all that said, I do see the value in bouncing ideas off people in your same stage so it's a good addition to the community.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Looking forward to joining your meeting.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

itsjustme wrote: I enjoy bouncing ideas off others in my similar life stage however I'd recommend also diversifying where you get advice. The advice from people that are already retired helps me avoid pre-retirement mistakes. I'm not confident that other people in my same stage of life can bring the same level of experience. With all that said, I do see the value in bouncing ideas off people in your same stage so it's a good addition to the community.
That's so very true, and thank you for mentioning this! The Starting Out Life Stage will have sessions for millennials that will feature practical advice from older investors, what worked, what didn't, what to avoid - or as Taylor often says, at age 97, "he made every investing mistake possible." :D
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Hello, Bogleheads!

We are still looking for a few more Bogleheads that would be interested in helping with our *new* Life Stage Virtual Chapters initiative! No teaching experience or financial cerifications are required! In fact, if you have learned ~anything~ on your financial journey and would like to share it with others, we for sure have a place for you.

I've scheduled a Zoom meeting for Tuesday, March 23rd, to discuss the Life Stage chapters. We would love to have you so you can hear what we are planning to help fellow Bogleheads. Email me for the Zoom invite.

Everyone is welcome. This is a planning and informational meeting only. If you are interested in attending a meeting and learning about various investing topics, wait for the announcement!

Thank you,

Gail Cox
gcox@bogle.center
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Anyone interested in being part of the *new* chapters, "Life Stage Virtual Chapters", are invited to tonight's Zoom meeting! We will be discussing the 4 Life Stage Chapters and what topics will be covered once meetings begin.

*Starting Out
*Mid Life/Career/Accumulator
*Pre-Retirement
*Retired

If you have learned something along your personal finance journey, you have something to share! Think about being part of one of these exciting new chapters!

Email me for the Zoom invite! The meeting is tonight----Tuesday, March 23rd, at 7pm CT.

Thank you!

Gail Cox
gcox@bogle.center
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I previously sent this via PM to Gail, but it probably deserves a wider audience.

On the Canadian wiki we created a series of outlines, see Outline for young savers and investors - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki as a starting point. The See also section leads to the next step.

I know LadyGeek is well aware of these articles as she and I collaboratively administer both the Bogleheads wiki and the finiki, the Canadian financial wiki.

Perhaps the meeting materials could be used help generate equivalent articles on the Bogleheads wiki, for the benefit of all.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

We're still looking for additional volunteers to help with the new Life Stage virtual chapters. For those interested, the next organizational (Zoom) meeting will be Mon, July 19, 8 PM (Eastern). See Bogleheads Calendar of Events for link.