Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Established

Post by IndyMachiner »

Are there many active members from the Hoosier state on here? Looking to see if there is an active Indiana Chapter, or if there has been any interest in starting one near Central Indiana?
50% Global CAPM Index Fund 12.5% US Concentrated Value 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Value 12.5% US Concentrated Momentum 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Momentum
Stinky

Re: Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.

Post by Stinky »

I don’t see a chapter for Indianapolis listed in the master chapter list.

But we had good success in starting a Central Alabama chapter in the last few years. And Indianapolis is a lot larger than Birmingham.

Best of luck in pulling a group together. I’m sure that there are many Bogleheads in Indiana!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

IndyMachiner wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 am Are there many active members from the Hoosier state on here? Looking to see if there is an active Indiana Chapter, or if there has been any interest in starting one near Central Indiana?
If you get five or more Bogleheads who want to establish an Indiana (or Indianapolis or whatever) Local Chapter, and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator (that person doesn't have to be an investing guru), just PM me and w'e'll get your group up and running.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison »

IndyMachiner wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 am Are there many active members from the Hoosier state on here? Looking to see if there is an active Indiana Chapter, or if there has been any interest in starting one near Central Indiana?
I would be interested if you were a little closer. I'm down near Evansville and if a group got started I'd be willing to drive as far as TH or Bloomington, but Indy is a little farther than I'd like to go.
MaxRN

Post by MaxRN »

I'm in New Albany (southern Indiana) and am interested. I'm very close to Louisville KY but I haven't had any luck finding a Bogleheads chapter here. Perhaps my Evansville IN colleague would consider Louisville. OTOH Bloomington, Evansville, or Columbus IN would work for me.
Don't believe everything you believe.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I would drive to Bloomington or Columbus if you both were interested in trying to setup something.
50% Global CAPM Index Fund 12.5% US Concentrated Value 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Value 12.5% US Concentrated Momentum 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Momentum
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

I'm in Fishers. I believe there's a person from Noblesville on here as well.
NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN »

yep (Noblesville). I would be real interested in meeting Sheepdog sometime. I think he is in this area. I remember him mentioning in a post about not being able to attend Colts games and also driving 80 mph in I-70 leaving Indy recently. I think Sheepdog would be real intersting to talk to if he was interested.
2br02b

Post by 2br02b »

Fort Wayne here - count me in , maybe we should set up Zoom sessions rather than f2f meets given small number and wide spread of potential members.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

How many people are interested to start with an Indiana wide chapter starting on Zoom or Google Hangouts for the moment?
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

I would join the chapter if I still lived in Indiana. Lived there for 30 years. Sending my support from North Carolina.
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

I'm here in Indianapolis as well. Let me know if you start something up.
HoosierMike

Post by HoosierMike »

I'd be interested in the Zoom format....living in Greenwood and not excited about driving any distance for meetings.
Silentnight

Post by Silentnight »

Perhaps. Northwest Indiana here.
carbonara4

Post by carbonara4 »

Fairly new to to the forum, but representing the Michiana metro!
Achaen1977

Post by Achaen1977 »

I am in Indianapolis ( Carmel ). Would be interested in joining a local group.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

NoblesvilleIN wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 pm yep (Noblesville). I would be real interested in meeting Sheepdog sometime. I think he is in this area. I remember him mentioning in a post about not being able to attend Colts games and also driving 80 mph in I-70 leaving Indy recently. I think Sheepdog would be real intersting to talk to if he was interested.
'
Thank you, NoblesvilleIN, I think you may be disappointed though.
Before this COVID thing, going to INDY was a favorite for us (Colts, Symphony, Pacers, airport, dining, theater venues, etc), so was all areas of the state on occasions. We put on a lot of miles going there.

Virtually? ZOOM? Sure. My local Rotary Club meets virtually now from our live 7 am in-person meeting. I am one of those on ZOOM weekly. (When this COVID distancing started, one of our members said "We could meet on ZOOM. "What is ZOOM?", I said. They laughed. I learned.)
In person? Sorry that I shouldn't.. ZOOMing. Sure. Someone want and able to set it up? Indiana ZOOM chapter maybe?
JIm (Sheepdog)
Woof
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I am setting a Chapter for the State of Indiana right now with Mr. Lindauer actually. Does Indianabogleheads@gmail.com sound good to you all?
Mel Lindauer

Re: Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Established

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'm pleased to report that IndyMachiner (John) has stepped up and agreed to be the Indiana Bogleheads Local Chapter Coordinator. You can contact him via PM or at IndianaBogleheads@gmail.com for the group.

Feel free to use this thread to make arrangement for meetings, chat with each other about agendas, meeting dates, times and locations, Zoom meetings, etc.

Good luck to our newest Local Chapter!
gxa

Post by gxa »

Count me in - I live in Indianapolis.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Okay.
Good work,.
Woof Woof
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

When do we all want to first meet and what application works best for each individual?
HoosierMike

Post by HoosierMike »

Early Monday or Thursday evenings are best for me.
Saturday AM would work good too.

BTW: I tried you two GMAIL address listed at Mel Lindauer's post and both failed.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

HoosierMike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 am Early Monday or Thursday evenings are best for me.

BTW: I tried you two GMAIL address listed at Mel Lindauer's post and both failed.
The correct address is indianabogleheads@gmail.com
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

IndyMachiner wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am
HoosierMike wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 am Early Monday or Thursday evenings are best for me.

The correct address is indianabogleheads@gmail.com
Sorry about that. Somehow the word "at" got attached to the email address. Looks like I failed to put a space there.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Hello all,

The first meeting for the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter will be on Zoom on Wednesday, November 18th, 2020 @7:30pm. There is no agenda other than meeting each other for the first time and sharing ideas with like minded Hoosiers. I can’t wait to get this started, I already have one commitment for this date. If you are interested please send me a private message here for the meeting ID and password. You can also contact us at Indianabogleheads@gmail.com
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

I will try to attend from the South end of the state. Glad to see this local chapter get off the ground.
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

MaxRN wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 pm I'm in New Albany (southern Indiana) and am interested. I'm very close to Louisville KY but I haven't had any luck finding a Bogleheads chapter here. Perhaps my Evansville IN colleague would consider Louisville. OTOH Bloomington, Evansville, or Columbus IN would work for me.
Iirc there was an attempt at a Louisville group a few years ago but it did not take off. I’m in Floyd County as well and would be interested in a Louisville chapter also. I plan to attend the Indiana chapter meeting on the 18th. Hope to see you there!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I hope to attend. (I sent you a private message too)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Slick8503 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:48 am
MaxRN wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 pm I'm in New Albany (southern Indiana) and am interested. I'm very close to Louisville KY but I haven't had any luck finding a Bogleheads chapter here. Perhaps my Evansville IN colleague would consider Louisville. OTOH Bloomington, Evansville, or Columbus IN would work for me.
Iirc there was an attempt at a Louisville group a few years ago but it did not take off. I’m in Floyd County as well and would be interested in a Louisville chapter also. I plan to attend the Indiana chapter meeting on the 18th. Hope to see you there!
Start a new thread, or revive the old Louisville thread, seeing if there is any renewed interest in getting the Louisville (my hometown) Chapter going.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

Im on the southeast side of Indianapolis, near Greenwood. Id love to be a part of a local chapter too. Would love a park or parking lot meet-up while we still have some descent weather available as well
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:34 am
Slick8503 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:48 am
Start a new thread, or revive the old Louisville thread, seeing if there is any renewed interest in getting the Louisville (my hometown) Chapter going.
Will do.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

There are currently 7 people committed to attending, this will be very exciting. Hopefully this encourages new chapters to form.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

IndyMachiner wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 am There are currently 7 people committed to attending, this will be very exciting. Hopefully this encourages new chapters to form.
Good job in organizing this Indiana chapter. Hope to see you Wednesday evening.
Sheepdog
cervisia

Post by cervisia »

Excellent! I look forward to Wednesday!
Fidelity1977

Post by Fidelity1977 »

Not interested in joining the local chapter at the moment. Didn’t realize there were so many locals on board. Southern Indiana (Floyds Knobs) area right outside of Louisville. Good luck on building your chapter.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

We had a total of 8 Bogleheads show up for our first Chapter meeting. I would say that was a success! The next meeting will probably happen the first week of December or so. There was no agenda other than getting to know each other, and seeing where everyone is at in their life. What topic of discussion would everyone be interested in setting up for the next meeting? I was thinking we could go simple and set “Asset Allocation” for the first meeting objective.
rvs323

Post by rvs323 »

Hi all! I just ran across this thread. I’m in McCordsville and would like to be added to the Indiana contingent.

Randy
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Hello All!

The next Indiana Bogleheads meeting will be Wednesday, December 9th at 7:30 PM ET. I might suggest that we start out with an easy topic like asset allocation for the first discussion topic. I am still trying to find a good time to get Jim Dahle from the White Coat Investor blog and podcast on for a future meeting. Thank you all for your encouragement. I can’t wait to see you all a week from today! If you are just learning about the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter the contact email is Indianabogleheads@gmail.com. Please contact me for the Zoom info if you are interested in attending a future meeting. Also I would like to inquire about a potential motto for the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter. I see a lot of folks are interested in being educational stewards of the Bogleheads philosophy so maybe something centered around education/mentorship.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

Fantastic! Thanks for putting this together. I’ll be there on that call.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

aerosurfer wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:24 pm Fantastic! Thanks for putting this together. I’ll be there on that call.
Sounds great!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, Zoom has a 40 minute time limit for non-subscribers. The chapter meeting will be at least an hour like last time. So just log back into the meeting if it times out on you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Silentnight

Post by Silentnight »

Thank you. Unless work interferes, I plan to attend.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

IndyMachiner wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:10 pm The next Indiana Bogleheads meeting will be Wednesday, December 9th at 7:30 PM ET.
Thanks for starting the group, IndyMachiner. Sent an email to gmail address.
:beer
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

The second official meeting of the Indiana Bogleheads will have an addendum for this Wednesday’s meeting at 7:30 PM ET. Jim Dahle from the Whitecoat Investor Blog will be our guest. He will be answering from the following discussion topics that were sent to me from members of the Chapter.
1. Asset allocation. Specifically the debate on if you are a young investor with a high risk tolerance and a long horizon, why not 100% stocks?
2. Suggested asset/fund placement among tax deferred and taxable.
3. Is there such thing as a good hedge investment (something that goes up or stays stable in the worst case kind of stock market/economic crash)? Cash? Bonds? Gold? Bitcoin? Other?
4. How do we improve financial literacy for our communities and society as a whole? The importance of the Bogleheads philosophy in the current world.
After addressing these issues there will be a question and answer session involving Mr. Dahle. Although this will be open to everyone please be considerate of the time available so we can get everyone’s questions and concerns addressed. We will have approximately 45 minutes to speak with our guest. I want to thank everyone who has participated so far, as well as Jim Dahle for volunteering his time to speak with fellow Bogleheads.

The goal is to still discuss potential mottos for the Indiana Bogleheads so please stick around after the Q&A with Jim Dahle for about 10 minutes. If you need the information for zoom please contact me directly at indianabogleheads@gmail.com

Thank you again.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

Thanks again for putting this together. Was a great meeting, hopefully we can all connect some dots in person soon.

Towards the end of the call someone asked about getting attention to the thread for other perspective members as well as active discussion. I suppose keeping the thread active and bumped to the top of the main page Is the best bet

Nick
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Thanks for a great presentation and discussion.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

I enjoyed the meeting too. Great to see others "in person" interested in discussing Boglehead investing.

Many thanks to IndyMachiner, Jim Dahle and others for putting the time and effort into the meeting.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 »

Apologies for missing this meeting. Lots of call out overtime currently. I look forward to participating in the future. Glad to see this group get started.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I want to thank everyone who showed up for the second Indiana Bogleheads meeting last week. We had a total of 16 in attendance to enjoy our discussion with Dr. Jim Dahle! We also had Gail Cox in attendance representing the John C. Bogle Center of Financial Literacy which is also exciting. I look forward to working with her into the future to try to expand various means of meeting between local chapters and attempting to grow each group.
Most of the discussion was spent talking about three main components. 1. Why not 100% stocks? If your risk tolerance is way above average, why bonds? 2. Principles of asset allocation. 3. Good hedge investments?

Here are some focal points that Jim talked about from our meeting last Wednesday.

-Jim opened the conversation with an important reminder that investing is a one person game. You need to be betting against your goals, therefor you should never have to take as much risk as you think in order to hit your goals.
-Six Principles of Asset Allocation in sum.
1. The Higher the Expected Return, the More Likely the Asset Should Be In a Tax-Protected Account
2. The Lower the Tax-Efficiency, the More Likely the Asset Should Be In a Tax-Protected Account
3. The More Likely You Are To Avoid Paying Capital Gains Taxes, the More Likely You Should Put Capital Gain Assets in Taxable
4. The More Volatile the Investment, the More Likely It Is Better In Taxable
5. Place High Expected Return Assets Into Tax-Free Accounts But Recognize You Are Taking On More Risk
6. If You Have an RMD Problem, Increase Your Tax-Free to Tax-Deferred Ratio

-Best Hedge investment? There really isn't a good reliable hedge against inflation or the U.S.' economy collapsing, other than attempting to mimic a well diversified portfolio. Jim's favorite way of diversifying away from traditional equities and bonds is simply to invest in real estate. Whether it be through actual private real estate or REITs, real estate can be 10-20 percent of your portfolio and it rarely correlates with stocks or bonds.

Thank you for the time well spent Dr. Jim Dahle. Dr. Dahle's website is https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/ and look into his podcast as well.

Here are a few discussion topics for the next round of meetings.

Asset Allocation.

1. Meeting about bonds

2. Equities

3. Hedges investments(REITS, Private Real Estate Equities, Rentals, etc)

Types of portfolios, 2,3,4 fund etc

We can break down each topic of asset allocation into the next three/four meetings. What do you guys and gals think?

Also I would like to pick a motto and find out who is passionate about the message. Encourage fellowship, encouragement and interaction are key things to incorporate. Our motivation should all be served by a commonly held purpose.

A few have also expressed interest in how to spread the Bogleheads message to people we know personally, that do not currently know about the Bogleheads Philosophy. If you are interested in joining in on a separate meeting about this topic please let me know.

Lastly, we may potentially coordinate meetings with the Chicago Bogleheads group in the near future. Any information about that is pending. I want to encourage all groups to work together while also acknowledging that the Indiana Bogleheads is young, and we all need a chance to get to know one another first individually.

The next meeting will be Tuesday, January 12th, at 7:30 PM ET. See you all in 2021. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Merry Christmas to ALL the Bogleheads out there! This site is such a blessing to everyone who needs a little direction on their fruits they bear.