Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Established

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Silentnight

Re: Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Established

Post by Silentnight »

Merry Christmas
IMOCAS2020

Post by IMOCAS2020 »

Interested in joining this new Indianapolis Bogleheads chapter. Is there a process for joining?
NoblesvilleIN

Post by NoblesvilleIN »

by IMOCAS2020 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:32 am

Interested in joining this new Indianapolis Bogleheads chapter. Is there a process for joining?
send an email to IndianaBogleheads@gmail.com and IndyMachiner (John) will add you to the distribution for the Zoom calls.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

IMOCAS2020 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:32 am Interested in joining this new Indianapolis Bogleheads chapter. Is there a process for joining?
There are no prerequisites other than emailing the group address!(The one NoblesvilleIN provided)
I can send you the ZOOM meeting information to your email.
50% Global CAPM Index Fund 12.5% US Concentrated Value 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Value 12.5% US Concentrated Momentum 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Momentum
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Don't forget about our first meeting in a series about "Asset Allocation." The first discussion topic is simply all about Equities. Are all members Index only investors, does anyone tilt towards small-cap value, or are most simply heeding John Bogle's advice in investing in the Total Stock Market index only? This will certainly be an interesting discussion. I hope to learn a lot from our fellow Hoosier Bogleheads. The meeting will be this Tuesday at 7:30 PM ET.

As always if you have any questions please contact me at Indianabogleheads@gmail.com
50% Global CAPM Index Fund 12.5% US Concentrated Value 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Value 12.5% US Concentrated Momentum 12.5% Foreign Concentrated Momentum
birdog

Post by birdog »

I'm in Ft Wayne. Just sent email.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

birdog wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 am I'm in Ft Wayne. Just sent email.
Message received, thanks.
Family Oaks

Post by Family Oaks »

After lurking for a while after John (IndyMachiner) told me about the forum I finally created an account. I look forward to participating in the Indiana chapter meetings in the future.
Contentment makes poor men rich, discontent makes rich men poor. -Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Indiana Chapter Meeting summary - January 12, 2021

In this meeting we discussed asset allocation - are you a passive investor? Do you "tilt" your portfolio with small-cap funds?

Members discussed funds in their portfolios, including:
- Target date funds
- Index funds
- Dividend-paying stocks
- International and small-cap tilt

Index funds were the most popular choice for portfolios, followed by target date funds. Target date funds were often chosen for their ease of use, in order to prevent tinkering, or because they were the best fund available in an employer-sponsored 401k. Everyone took a special interest in a portfolio made of 50ish individual stocks, which allowed the investor to live off the dividends during early retirement. The investor pointed out that he had 5 years of fixed income in CDs in case of down years, and that he had started investing during a time when loads were common.

Other interesting points that came up:
- REITs should go into tax-deferred accounts because they make filing your taxes complicated, including requiring you to wait on Schedule K-1s in order to file.
- The idea that owning individual stocks keeps you more interested in industries and the economy as a whole.
- When choosing a stock, pick one that has beaten the market for the past 15 years.
- Some people do not have any international stocks at all because many of the companies here in the US are already international companies, so their portfolio has international exposure through them.

Any of the folks that have had experience in delving into individual stocks also advised their own adult children to follow the simple method of investing in a Three-Fund Portfolio for their main investment strategy. Anyone who had started investing in individual stocks did so because of the extraordinarily high front-end load fees and expense ratios that were common with mutual fund investing in the 1970s and 80s. Index investing was just being birthed into existence by Mr. Jack Bogle in 1975.

There were 12 individuals in attendance on Tuesday, January, 12th, 2021.

The next meeting topic will be about strategies for early retirement.

Some content ideas for this topic are:

1. Bridging the gap with healthcare between retirement and applying for Medicare.
2. What kind of fixed income are we using especially early in retirement to ensure our money lasts the rest of our lives.
3. Individual goals each person is pursuing in retirement. (Maybe there is some sage wisdom to be found from those who are already there)

I'll post the official February date of the meeting really soon.
KristieSmith

Post by KristieSmith »

Just sent an email to join. I live in Carmel!
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

KristieSmith wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 am Just sent an email to join. I live in Carmel!
Message received!
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I still need some suggestions regarding what topics everyone would like to include in our discussion on transitioning to retirement! I know everyone is worried about what to do for healthcare until Medicare takes effect. I am also sure people are curious about what kind of "guaranteed income" instruments are being used in case of large drawdowns in their portfolio. Do you use a homemade bond ladder, an insurance annuity, or do you simply use Taylor Larimore's strategy of setting your budget according to how your investments performed in the previous year? As always I look forward to hearing from all of you soon!
Gocolts21

Post by Gocolts21 »

Hello I would like to join the group and attend the February zoom meeting. We reside in Louisville. It does not look like the Lousiville chapter is active Thanks
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Gocolts21 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:12 am Hello I would like to join the group and attend the February zoom meeting. We reside in Louisville. It does not look like the Lousiville chapter is active Thanks
Hello there,

Please send me an email to Indianabogleheads@gmail.com and I’ll add you to the contact list!
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Also look forward to joining. Message sent to the gmail address.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

The official date for the next Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Meeting is officially scheduled for Monday, February 15th, 2021 at 7:30 PM ET. The topic will be "Strategies for an Early Retirement." We will be using the John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy ZOOM account this time. I will be sending out new login information very soon. I am still putting together an outline for the meeting so if you have any suggestions please send them my way! As always I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Best regards,

John
Brayburn

Post by Brayburn »

New user here, NE Indiana Fort Wayne area. Email sent to the group address. Hi everybody!
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I am looking forward to our next discussion this upcoming Monday, February 15th, 2021 at 7:30 PM ET. The topic is Strategies for Early Retirement. We will be focusing on health insurance options before age 65, and withdrawing from your portfolio: "Safe Withdrawal Rates."

Here is some very important information!

We will be using the official John C. Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy Zoom account for our meeting this Monday! So please use this new login information for the next meeting. Using their account will allow our meeting to continue without interruption(we will no longer be affected by the 40-minute timer)

*Please email indianabogleheads@gmail.com for the Zoom information or if you have questions pertaining to the Indiana Bogleheads Chapter.

*As usual, if someone has excellent note-taking skills and they plan on attending the next meeting please let me know if you can help provide a small account on what was discussed during the meeting.* Here are the notes from the previous meeting: https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2021/01 ... g-summary/ These are extraordinarily helpful to all of our members, so thank you to all who contribute to the success of our chapter!
dorunrun

Post by dorunrun »

I'm another new Bogleheads member located in Indiana (although long-time reader of the forum). I'll send an email to get information about attending tomorrow's meeting. It should be an interesting topic.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Hello all!

The next Indiana Bogleheads Chapter meeting will be Monday, March 15th, at 7:00 PM ET.

We will continue using the Bogle Center's Zoom account for our meetings from here on out after the success of our last evening.

The topic of discussion will be a continuation of our Early Retirement discussion series: Withdrawal strategies from your portfolio.
  • Safe Withdrawal Rates
  • Selecting which account for first withdrawals
  • Considering tax implications of taking withdrawals
  • Processing Withdrawals
We are working on a new guest speaker very soon! Details will be coming soon.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

I am also pleased to announce that our “Surprise” guest speaker will be with us for a Chapter Meeting on May 3rd! Details will be coming forth by this weekend!
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Hello Bogleheads,

Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 5th, 2021 at 7:00 PM ET. Our next topic will be Charitable Giving. Regardless of the methods by which an individual contributes to charity (e.g., direct gifts, donor advised funds), selection of the organizations deserving support is a daunting task. The choices are primarily influenced by personal beliefs and preferences, but we will go into tax deductible giving and how this reflects how you give. Think about what resources you have used in the past to analyze the effectiveness of a Charity or different charities that represents a cause personal to you.

We will also discuss:
1) Identifying the most promising areas to support.
2) Identifying charities operating in that area, screening out those that are particularly inefficient in their use of funds.
3) Evaluate how effective the charities are in resolving the problems they address.

Please reference this post before we start our discussion Bogleheads Forum Post: Effective Charity viewtopic.php?t=7708

If you are from the great Hoosier State and would love to be involved in an Indiana Bogleheads Chapter Meeting, we are currently holding them on Zoom through the John C. Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy account. If you have a desire to join please contact us at Indianabogleheads@gmail.com
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

Don’t forget about our meeting tonight at 7:00 pm ET on Zoom! Please read the most recent post for all the key information in preparation for our meeting about Charitable Giving.
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

We’re Talking Millions
Guest Speaker: Paul Merriman

Meeting Agenda
Meeting Schedule: Monday, May 3rd, 2021 from 7:00 PM ET to 9:00 PM ET.
Paul will have a roughly 1 ½ hour presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A session.
We’re Talking Millions Presentation Content:
This discussion will be focused on the ages 20-40 demographic. Although this is focused on the demographic that is involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey we encourage you to bring your grandchildren, your children, or anyone you know that would benefit from this presentation. Please include anyone who does not normally participate in a Bogleheads event as this affects you and your spouse!
Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul wants to stress how much an extra ½ of a percent return can greatly increase the amount of wealth building power you have in your portfolio over a lifetime of investing. In this presentation he will discuss investing strategies that can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. Please join us to learn about that power of Value Based investing.
-Anyone that attends this presentation live will have a chance to receive a free PDF copy of Paul’s new book, “We’re Talking Millions: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement.” Provided courtesy of Paul and the Merriman Financial Educational Foundation.
How do I attend this meeting presented by The Indiana Bogleheads Chapter coordinator, John, and Paul Merriman of The Merriman Financial Education Foundation?
Please Join the Bogleheads Forum in order to provide your Bogleheads’ username and then fill out the registration form to be added to the event distribution list!
Meeting Sign-up Form: We’re Talking Millions! Event Registration - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
If you would like to add this event to your Calendar: We're Talking Millions Event Reminder - https://calendar.google.com/event?actio ... google.com
Also please review these articles and podcasts with information relevant to the presentation that will be given on May 3rd.
This investment mix beats the S&P 500 — by a mile - https://paulmerriman.com/this-investmen ... by-a-mile/
These fund combinations can give you a huge boost over the S&P 500 - https://paulmerriman.com/these-fund-com ... he-sp-500/
How to simplify the Ultimate Buy and Hold and get higher returns - https://paulmerriman.com/how-to-simplif ... r-returns/
Fine Tuning Your Asset Allocations 2021 - https://paulmerriman.com/fine-tuning-yo ... 1-updated/

*Lastly please note that this presentation will be recorded for educational purposes and will be distributed to public social media platforms like the John C. Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy’s Vimeo Channel and The Merriman Financial Education Foundation’s Youtube Channel. If you wish to remain anonymous please do not use your full name. Instead I suggest using your Bogleheads username and turning your video off.

Paul Merriman Retired Financial Advisor
Paul Merriman is a nationally recognized authority on mutual funds, index investing, asset allocation and both buy-and-hold and active management strategies. Now retired from Merriman, the Seattle-based investment advisory firm he founded in 1983, he is dedicated to educating investors, young and old, through weekly articles at Marketwatch.com as well as via free eBooks, podcasts, articles, and more, at his website.
In 2013 he created The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, dedicated to providing comprehensive financial education to investors. The foundation provides information and tools for investors to make informed decisions in their own best interest and successfully implement their retirement savings program. A major project of the Foundation is funding the curriculum development and teaching of the 4-credit course, “Personal Investing” (for non-finance majors), at Paul’s alma mater, Western Washington University, which began Fall 2013.
In his retirement, Paul remains fervently committed to educating and empowering investors. In 2012, he wrote and published the “How To Invest” series, distilling his decades of expertise into concise investment books targeted to specific audiences – “First-Time Investor: Grow and Protect Your Money,” “101 Investment Decisions Guaranteed to Change Your Financial Future,” and “Get Smart or Get Screwed: How To Select The Best and Get The Most From Your Financial Advisor.”
Paul also has a very informative investing podcast called Sound Investing, which is available on any of your many options as far as streaming apps including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, etc.
Lastly Paul just recently co-authored a book with Richard Buck titled “We’re Talking Millions: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement”
About “We’re Talking Millions”: Understanding how to invest wisely for your future can be daunting. Many people never get started for fear of making mistakes. Others make choices based on hearsay and hope.
In We're Talking Millions! you will learn why and how to make a handful of smart choices that can turn modest regular savings into a secure future. You'll discover "12 Small Steps with Big Payoffs," each of which can add $1 million or more to your retirement nest egg if you start in your 20s or 30s. These steps are well known.
Now for the first time, We're Talking Millions! combines them into a single action plan you can implement in less than one hour a year. That could be the most valuable time you'll ever spend.” Quote from Paulmerriman.com
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Looks like a great meeting! Paul Merriman is a wonderful speaker and is very good presenting "the financial facts of life." :mrgreen:

A good meeting for the Starting Out Life Stage young investors!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Thank you, IndyMachiner, for hosting last night's very interesting presentation by Paul Merriman and Chris Pedersen! They discussed many useful portfolio ideas, stressed the importance of saving early in life, the importance of index funds and low costs, stocks and risk, what value-based investing is, and perhaps most importantly, the problem when our emotions take hold of our investing. Very enjoyable and I learned a lot.

And Indy - you did a great job as moderator :D
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

IndyMachiner wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:51 pm We’re Talking Millions
Guest Speaker: Paul Merriman

Meeting Agenda
Meeting Schedule: Monday, May 3rd, 2021 from 7:00 PM ET to 9:00 PM ET.
Paul will have a roughly 1 ½ hour presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A session.
We’re Talking Millions Presentation Content:
This discussion will be focused on the ages 20-40 demographic. Although this is focused on the demographic that is involved in the accumulation phase of their investing journey we encourage you to bring your grandchildren, your children, or anyone you know that would benefit from this presentation. Please include anyone who does not normally participate in a Bogleheads event as this affects you and your spouse!
Presentation Outline:
  • Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy
  • Simpler Strategy: 4 Funds for Life
  • Using these strategies with Vanguard, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and T. Rowe Price.
  • Best in Class Funds
  • 2 Funds for life Strategy
  • Fine-tuning tables discussing strategies above using historical data from 1970-2020.
  • Basic overview of the importance of choosing your Distribution Strategy in retirement Fixed Income Strategy vs Variable Strategy.
Paul wants to stress how much an extra ½ of a percent return can greatly increase the amount of wealth building power you have in your portfolio over a lifetime of investing. In this presentation he will discuss investing strategies that can potentially increase your wealth building power with some simple changes to your asset allocation. Please join us to learn about that power of Value Based investing.
-Anyone that attends this presentation live will have a chance to receive a free PDF copy of Paul’s new book, “We’re Talking Millions: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement.” Provided courtesy of Paul and the Merriman Financial Educational Foundation.
How do I attend this meeting presented by The Indiana Bogleheads Chapter coordinator, John, and Paul Merriman of The Merriman Financial Education Foundation?
Please Join the Bogleheads Forum in order to provide your Bogleheads’ username and then fill out the registration form to be added to the event distribution list!
Meeting Sign-up Form: We’re Talking Millions! Event Registration - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
If you would like to add this event to your Calendar: We're Talking Millions Event Reminder - https://calendar.google.com/event?actio ... google.com
Also please review these articles and podcasts with information relevant to the presentation that will be given on May 3rd.
This investment mix beats the S&P 500 — by a mile - https://paulmerriman.com/this-investmen ... by-a-mile/
These fund combinations can give you a huge boost over the S&P 500 - https://paulmerriman.com/these-fund-com ... he-sp-500/
How to simplify the Ultimate Buy and Hold and get higher returns - https://paulmerriman.com/how-to-simplif ... r-returns/
Fine Tuning Your Asset Allocations 2021 - https://paulmerriman.com/fine-tuning-yo ... 1-updated/

*Lastly please note that this presentation will be recorded for educational purposes and will be distributed to public social media platforms like the John C. Bogle Foundation for Financial Literacy’s Vimeo Channel and The Merriman Financial Education Foundation’s Youtube Channel. If you wish to remain anonymous please do not use your full name. Instead I suggest using your Bogleheads username and turning your video off.

Paul Merriman Retired Financial Advisor
Paul Merriman is a nationally recognized authority on mutual funds, index investing, asset allocation and both buy-and-hold and active management strategies. Now retired from Merriman, the Seattle-based investment advisory firm he founded in 1983, he is dedicated to educating investors, young and old, through weekly articles at Marketwatch.com as well as via free eBooks, podcasts, articles, and more, at his website.
In 2013 he created The Merriman Financial Education Foundation, dedicated to providing comprehensive financial education to investors. The foundation provides information and tools for investors to make informed decisions in their own best interest and successfully implement their retirement savings program. A major project of the Foundation is funding the curriculum development and teaching of the 4-credit course, “Personal Investing” (for non-finance majors), at Paul’s alma mater, Western Washington University, which began Fall 2013.
In his retirement, Paul remains fervently committed to educating and empowering investors. In 2012, he wrote and published the “How To Invest” series, distilling his decades of expertise into concise investment books targeted to specific audiences – “First-Time Investor: Grow and Protect Your Money,” “101 Investment Decisions Guaranteed to Change Your Financial Future,” and “Get Smart or Get Screwed: How To Select The Best and Get The Most From Your Financial Advisor.”
Paul also has a very informative investing podcast called Sound Investing, which is available on any of your many options as far as streaming apps including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, etc.
Lastly Paul just recently co-authored a book with Richard Buck titled “We’re Talking Millions: 12 Simple Ways to Supercharge Your Retirement”
About “We’re Talking Millions”: Understanding how to invest wisely for your future can be daunting. Many people never get started for fear of making mistakes. Others make choices based on hearsay and hope.
In We're Talking Millions! you will learn why and how to make a handful of smart choices that can turn modest regular savings into a secure future. You'll discover "12 Small Steps with Big Payoffs," each of which can add $1 million or more to your retirement nest egg if you start in your 20s or 30s. These steps are well known.
Now for the first time, We're Talking Millions! combines them into a single action plan you can implement in less than one hour a year. That could be the most valuable time you'll ever spend.” Quote from Paulmerriman.com
Is a recording available of Paul's presentation available?
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

That video as well as others from the chapter presentations can be found here

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

HoosierJim wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 pm That video as well as others from the chapter presentations can be found here

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/portfol ... entations/
Great! Thanks!👍
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
ceperry

Post by ceperry »

I live in Fishers and just discovered that an Indiana chapter has been created. I’d love to participate.

Is there a regular schedule for meetings or an email list I can get on for meeting announcements? I’m afraid that I’m likely to miss updates to this thread (as I apparently have for the last several months).
Topic Author
IndyMachiner

Post by IndyMachiner »

ceperry wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:06 pm I live in Fishers and just discovered that an Indiana chapter has been created. I’d love to participate.

Is there a regular schedule for meetings or an email list I can get on for meeting announcements? I’m afraid that I’m likely to miss updates to this thread (as I apparently have for the last several months).
Yes, please send an email to Indianabogleheads@gmail.com to be added to our distribution list!
DIYtrixie

Post by DIYtrixie »

I'm in northern IN -- just sent an email to join the chapter. Thanks for setting this up! Looks like it's off to a strong start.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Long-time Bogleheads member and I just saw that this chapter has been established. I'm in the Indianapolis area.
Shane_IN

Post by Shane_IN »

I'm another new Bogleheads member located in NE Indiana - I sent an e-mail asking to be included in the group.

Thanks!