Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Pacific

Re: Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

Post by Pacific »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 pm
pokebowl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
Like sscritic
+1

Now HE was a legend. Probably the most knowledgable guy on here regarding a certain topic, but he sure didn't suffer fools gladly. I REALLY miss him.

Also, whatever happened to another of my favs -- the insurance encyclopedia Ole Meph?
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm
CanaBogle24 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anyone want to take the lead...to get him/her back?
I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
He went to arcade play games.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Chicken Little

Post by Chicken Little »

taurabora wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm I just want the chart to be updated.
+1

I stopped reading that a looooong time ago.

Way too many words without results. Not a good formula. Nobody would pick up that pilot.

Was just clicking page one for the update. Oh well.
Robert T

Post by Robert T »

Hedgefundie had some interesting ideas and insights.

But if you tilt your posts towards arrogance and a combative style and tone of posting (from any side of a discussion) it seems to eventually end with blow-ups.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 pm
nisiprius wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 am HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

I was a regular reader at that time and never understood what about that post made him so angry.
Looks like it was a matter of the straw breaking the camel's back. Whether or not one agrees with his methods or posting style, there are those on this forum who simply can't let a a perceived challenge to the 2 or 3 fund portfolio go unanswered, even on threads that have nothing at all to do with that 2 or 3 fund portfolio whatsoever. If the 2 or 3 fund portfolio was the end-all-be-all to asset allocation, then why have a forum at all? Update the wiki's and call it a day.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 pm
7eight9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm HEDGEFUNDIE didn't genuflect before the Bogle/Buffett 100% US ALL THE TIME portfolio. He was a heretic who was driven out by the faithful.
This is why I've always thought there needs to be a subforum for factor tilting/alternatives/etc.
Same here - I just don't know how our already awesome moderators would keep it from becoming some free-for-all daytrader subreddit.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

dcabler wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:16 am
nisiprius wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 am HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

I was a regular reader at that time and never understood what about that post made him so angry.
Looks like it was a matter of the straw breaking the camel's back. Whether or not one agrees with his methods or posting style, there are those on this forum who simply can't let a a perceived challenge to the 2 or 3 fund portfolio go unanswered, even on threads that have nothing at all to do with that 2 or 3 fund portfolio whatsoever. If the 2 or 3 fund portfolio was the end-all-be-all to asset allocation, then why have a forum at all? Update the wiki's and call it a day.
To me that’s a feature not a bug.

Otherwise some newcomer is going to jump into the HEDGEFUNDIE threads because capital letters are all that and never hear the views of concern.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Pacific wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 am
pokebowl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
Like sscritic
+1

Now HE was a legend. Probably the most knowledgable guy on here regarding a certain topic, but he sure didn't suffer fools gladly. I REALLY miss him.

Also, whatever happened to another of my favs -- the insurance encyclopedia Ole Meph?
sscritic was banned. He still communicates with at least a few of us via email.

Old Meph passed away a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?t=207769
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

dcabler wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:16 am

There was a poster here that I hammered because I thought his investment approach was too formulaic and paid too little attention to market psychology, he just seemed to have all of the answers. I felt bad because I may have driven him from the forum.

I also for a while went to the 3 fund threads and explained that the outperformance of Growth over Value was pretty much due to the FAANG stocks and High Tech/Internet. Also tried to warn that the broad S&P 500/Total Stock Market Indexes can experience long secular bear markets and during those times, during such times tilting a portfolio can really help. The US Stock Market is not a monolith. I did that for a while and eased off, I had no real fight with the 3 funders, I just got annoyed with certain people showing up on certain types of threads and making the same points over and over. There does get to be a point of overdoing it.

I also teased people in the Small/Value threads about abandoning their long held convictions and capitulating. It was fun but I mostly have stopped as I made my point.

So I haven't been 100% innocent here myself but I try to be fair and also try to be honest about my own shortcomings. I also have tried, and a few times failed, not to be personal in my comments. I also try but sometimes fail to be conciliatory and concede that the other guy or gal might have a good point.

We have to remind ourselves that this is just an anonymous forum. I suppose we all try to build our reputations and our brand but very few people know that I do this Boglehead thing. I probably have told about 10 people, a few people at work and a couple of friends. My family doesn't know that I do this. So pretty unlikely this will make me a celebrity, I won't get invited on the talk shows or invited to exclusive cocktail parties. So except for the few that make their identities public, there just isn't much at stake except for a bit of ego and perhaps hurt feelings. We need perspective here.
A fool and his money are good for business.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

It's a damn shame HEDGEFUNDIE left in my opinion. His content was extremely rich and he was, at the very least, thought provoking and well reasoned. There are some on this forum who simply refuse to listen to alternative viewpoints. It's a missed opportunity to learn and grow as an investor. Do I agree with everything HEDGEFUNDIE wrote? Nope, but I'm a more thoughtful and educated investor because of him. This place needs more outside-the-box thinking. HEDGEFUNDIE brought that in spades.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

You can’t take yourself too seriously on the Internet.

This is evermore true the more "followers" you have. Even if you are every bit as wonderful as they think, there is always someone that thinks you’re not quite as hot. In real life, the latter just stops associating with you. On the Internet, that person claps back.

JT
rich126

Post by rich126 »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:32 am It's a damn shame HEDGEFUNDIE left in my opinion. His content was extremely rich and he was, at the very least, thought provoking and well reasoned. There are some on this forum who simply refuse to listen to alternative viewpoints. It's a missed opportunity to learn and grow as an investor. Do I agree with everything HEDGEFUNDIE wrote? Nope, but I'm a more thoughtful and educated investor because of him. This place needs more outside-the-box thinking. HEDGEFUNDIE brought that in spades.
I totally agree. Many times in life (in person) I ask questions and often I don't care about the answer but I just want to see how someone responds to my question. Other times I'll ask questions that I think I know the answer to but once in a while someone says something I never really considered and it causes you to think from another perspective.

I once worked with this guy (probably 60s) who was very nice, quiet spoken and a big time hiker/outdoor person. I found out he was ex-air force interrogator and back in the day (when the USSR was still around, and we had an East Germany) he would be dropped behind the lines to interrogate various people. Most stories he couldn't tell even though I had a clearance but we had a lot of interesting chats about understanding body language, responses to questions and the like.

Sadly too many people around here tend to view investing as a religion or cult.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

rich126 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 pm Sadly too many people around here tend to view investing as a religion or cult.
Everyone has to play nice, or else you can’t lament when people leave.

JT
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 pm HEDGEFUNDIE Does Dallas
Really dating yourself here... :)
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
Hoo-boy, dating yourself again!

I think I could guess when you were born within 5 years with these two references.

I'm thinking you watched Dukes of Hazard as a kid? Or maybe you were a Fantasy Island kind of guy?
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Like sscritic
I thought sscritic was banned.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
Hoo-boy, dating yourself again!

I think I could guess when you were born within 5 years with these two references.

I'm thinking you watched Dukes of Hazard as a kid? Or maybe you were a Fantasy Island kind of guy?
Very good detective work, and I watched both Dukes and Fantasy. Incredible Hulk TV show. Smurfs cartoon. Owned a ton of Smurf figures. He-Man. Fragile Rock. You Can't Do That On Television.

Apologies for getting off tpoic, but perhaps this will stir pleasant feelings of nostalgia in others.

Post by 000 »

dcabler wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:16 am Looks like it was a matter of the straw breaking the camel's back. Whether or not one agrees with his methods or posting style, there are those on this forum who simply can't let a a perceived challenge to the 2 or 3 fund portfolio go unanswered, even on threads that have nothing at all to do with that 2 or 3 fund portfolio whatsoever. If the 2 or 3 fund portfolio was the end-all-be-all to asset allocation, then why have a forum at all? Update the wiki's and call it a day.
The difference is between good alternative approaches and bad ones (too expensive, too risky, too difficult to implement, too underdiversified). It is my opinion (as a heterodox Boglehead myself) that most of the approaches HEDGEFUNDIE promoted here fall into the latter category and the response of Bogleheads was mostly appropriate. It was good and right that Bogleheads pointed out the serious risks involved using leveraged ETFs hoping a backtested correlation will continue.

Anyway, I'm not here to rag on the guy. I don't care how he or anyone invests. I don't care what people talk about here. But if you come to bogleheads.org with alternative ideas, you had better be prepared for skepticism. That is in large part the purpose of this forum, and frankly one of its greatest contributions.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

000 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:51 pmBut if you come to bogleheads.org with alternative ideas, you had better be prepared for skepticism. That is in large part the purpose of this forum, and frankly one of its greatest contributions.
+1
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

22twain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:01 pm
000 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:51 pmBut if you come to bogleheads.org with alternative ideas, you had better be prepared for skepticism. That is in large part the purpose of this forum, and frankly one of its greatest contributions.
+1
I don't think it was the skepticism that bothered HEDGEFUNDIE. As another posted mentioned, he changed his original Excellent Adventure allocation based on constructive, high quality feedback from other posters. I don't remember his initial investment, but I believe it was $100,000 or so. So he was willing to change a six-figure investment based on the reasoning and criticism from others. I'm guessing what pissed off HEDGEFUNDIE were the numerous posters repeating dogma about the three-fund portfolio and why not VTI in every single taxable account without actually stopping to think about what they were recommending. There was a loud cohort of Bogleheads who simply wanted to tell HEDGEFUNDIE he was wrong about something or chastise him for being less than pure in terms of Boglehead beliefs.

Speaking of Boglehead beliefs, there are a few of us who remember the M* Diehards days (raise your hand if you can remember the posts from "hocus"). Back then, a Boglehead was simply someone who understood costs matter. There were plenty of posts about active vs. passive in tax-deferred accounts, but being a Boglehead was about keeping costs low. Now, there's some sort of unofficial purity test and those who dare to challenge the status quo get blasted by a few folks who aren't necessarily the most sophisticated investors, but they can certainly repeat some Bogle quotes that serve their needs.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:40 pm
+1
I don't think it was the skepticism that bothered HEDGEFUNDIE. As another posted mentioned, he changed his original Excellent Adventure allocation based on constructive, high quality feedback from other posters. I don't remember his initial investment, but I believe it was $100,000 or so. So he was willing to change a six-figure investment based on the reasoning and criticism from others. I'm guessing what pissed off HEDGEFUNDIE were the numerous posters repeating dogma about the three-fund portfolio and why not VTI in every single taxable account without actually stopping to think about what they were recommending. There was a loud cohort of Bogleheads who simply wanted to tell HEDGEFUNDIE he was wrong about something or chastise him for being less than pure in terms of Boglehead beliefs.

Speaking of Boglehead beliefs, there are a few of us who remember the M* Diehards days (raise your hand if you can remember the posts from "hocus"). Back then, a Boglehead was simply someone who understood costs matter. There were plenty of posts about active vs. passive in tax-deferred accounts, but being a Boglehead was about keeping costs low. Now, there's some sort of unofficial purity test and those who dare to challenge the status quo get blasted by a few folks who aren't necessarily the most sophisticated investors, but they can certainly repeat some Bogle quotes that serve their needs.
+1
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:40 pm Speaking of Boglehead beliefs, there are a few of us who remember the M* Diehards days (raise your hand if you can remember the posts from "hocus"). Back then, a Boglehead was simply someone who understood costs matter.
That's the sort of Boglehead I have always been. Does that make me a fundamentalist? :P
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

+1

Alex Frakt, the owner/co-owner(?) of this BH forum has stated there is NOT any "required investing philosophy" here on BH, in the context of whether posts with "differing opinions" were deleted:

Alex Frakt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:51 am We don't edit or delete posts unless they are in violation of one of our policies. We have no policy regarding a required investing philosophy.
[emphasis added]

And yet, there is too often a cult-like approach here, including dismissiveness (or worse) towards posts/posters who do not have some supposedly "official" approach.

There are probably, relatively speaking, some generalities, such as "don't spend too much on expenses" (is there really anyone here who advocates not paying *any* attention to costs?), and probably some type of diversification. But "diversification" can vary from "a total stock fund" plus "a total bond fund" to 3-fund types, 4-fund types, and then maybe adding real estate (or NOT adding real estate!), and then "real cash or no actual cash"... to diversifying by value/growth or large/small, or using sectors. But even here, there are some who are perhaps young and prefer to be aggressive and have 100% equities, and those near/at retirement who are "all set" and really want to minimize risk and thus have no equities at all.
And of course, there is the "how much risk" issue, which is not something strictly numeric and includes emotions, with lump summing and dollar cost averaging being a prime example...
Et cetera...

These approaches may fit those who use them, because not everyone has identical needs or preferences.

Reading about various specific approaches described by others should be (should be) something that can be used by those who wish to do so. After all, no one here is forcing someone else to "do it MY way".
So why the need for such negativity towards those who wish to discuss "Investing Philosphy A", whatever A is, etc., as long as it is done respectfully? And it should go without saying that any responses should also be respectful [or perhaps, just don't respond?].

And it should be similar with discussions of topics that are not directly "investments".
A few topics jump to mind, such as whether one wants a watch (and which kind), flying other than cheapest econo-class, or type of car, or size of home, etc. (This is not the same as commenting on whether someone is seemingly putting future financial security at risk for purchases today, which is a concern regardless of "what" is being purchased.)

<donning flame-proof attire now> :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

HomerJ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:08 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 pm HEDGEFUNDIE Does Dallas
Really dating yourself here... :)
Debbie does Dallas is porn. I think this reference is kind of funny, but also disrespectful and probably violates forum rules.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

There's more to it than costs matters. I can pick individual stocks with no commissions, but that's not a very Jack Bogle like investing strategy. Bogleheads is based on broad based index funds.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:40 pm
+1

Alex Frakt, the owner/co-owner(?) of this BH forum has stated there is NOT any "required investing philosophy" here on BH, in the context of whether posts with "differing opinions" were deleted:

Alex Frakt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:51 am We don't edit or delete posts unless they are in violation of one of our policies. We have no policy regarding a required investing philosophy.
[emphasis added]

And yet, there is too often a cult-like approach here, including dismissiveness (or worse) towards posts/posters who do not have some supposedly "official" approach.

RM
We're slightly cultish, but this isn't necessarily bad. Going on Bogleheads to convince people to use some exotic investing strategy is like going on BiggerPockets and trying to convince everyone real estate is a dumb investment.
reln

Post by reln »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm Mic drop move: One day, years from now, he'll randomly reappear with a single post: An image of a massive beautiful yacht. Then disappears again, forever.
+1
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

oldfort wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 pm
There's more to it than costs matters. I can pick individual stocks with no commissions, but that's not a very Jack Bogle like investing strategy. Bogleheads is based on broad based index funds.
Of course it is. Back on the M* days, a poster named wagnerjb (Andy) thought about "rolling his own" S&P 500 fund to increase his after-tax returns through targeted TLH. There are so many ways to implement a Jack Bogle like investing strategy. Hint - you can follow Jack Bogle's investing advice without a pure market cap weighted 2 or 3 fund portfolio.
Brianwalnuts

Post by Brianwalnuts »

I always enjoyed his posts. Hope he returns.
FlatSix

Post by FlatSix »

Hmm I remember the time he started a thread questioning the point in saving any further for retirement because social security was going to meet the majority of his needs. I personally did not see him changing his mind much, although there was always plenty of discussion. Oh well, life goes on.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

oldfort wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 pm
Yes, more to it than that but "broad based index funds" isn't in the list from the BH Wiki. Still leaves quite a bit of wiggle room to still be a boglehead. Many roads to Dublin, etc....

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I don't like to see anyone leave our forum!

That said, I wonder if sometimes folks may become bored and simply move on. I am inclined to think not everyone is motivated to discuss index funds and passive investing on a daily basis.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
nix4me

Hedgefundie

Post by nix4me »

Does anyone know where the user Hedgefundie went when he left here? Like if he is on another forum?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged nix4me's post into the ongoing discussion. The thread is in the US Chapters (community) forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Probably off to buy a porsche.
Get rich or die tryin'
pascalwager

Post by pascalwager »

A forum that is more receptive to using a growth index fund, instead of a total market fund, in a taxable account to reduce dividends and taxes for someone lump-summing a very large amount.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

bottlecap wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm You can’t take yourself too seriously on the Internet.

This is evermore true the more "followers" you have. Even if you are every bit as wonderful as they think, there is always someone that thinks you’re not quite as hot. In real life, the latter just stops associating with you. On the Internet, that person claps back.

JT
Well said. HF’s skin was unfortunately too thin.

(And I’m an active participant in the EA. I still keep up with the thread, somehow. I thought he had some very interesting and stimulating ideas. I hope he {justly/honestly} makes all the millions he planned.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Run off like some other good posters that dared to offer something different from the standard investing advice here. Why would you subject yourself to repeated gut punching over and over again? It’s OK to disagree. No sense in slamming someone. To be fair though, this is probably the most cordial/least toxic forum you’ll find on the internet.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
drk

Post by drk »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:53 pm Run off like some other good posters that dared to offer something different from the standard investing advice here. Why would you subject yourself to repeated gut punching over and over again? It’s OK to disagree. No sense in slamming someone. To be fair though, this is probably the most cordial/least toxic forum you’ll find on the internet.
I don't think HF was ever "gut punched" on here. People recoiled from some of the proposals, but that was always partly the point.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

drk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:59 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:53 pm Run off like some other good posters that dared to offer something different from the standard investing advice here. Why would you subject yourself to repeated gut punching over and over again? It’s OK to disagree. No sense in slamming someone. To be fair though, this is probably the most cordial/least toxic forum you’ll find on the internet.
I don't think HF was ever "gut punched" on here. People recoiled from some of the proposals, but that was always partly the point.
I was thinking more Larry Swedroe with the gut punch comment. To be honest the HF threads got too far above my head so I never got much in the weeds with them but I do remember him defending himself more than once.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I saw it the same way. He was a genuine guy, and had a lot to offer I think. We collectively ran him off. His methods weren’t my cup,of tea, but I thought he was operating in good faith, and it was deserving of most respectful discussion than it got.

It’s happened to other posters as well.....
drk

Post by drk »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:10 pm I was thinking more Larry Swedroe with the gut punch comment. To be honest the HF threads got too far above my head so I never got much in the weeds with them but I do remember him defending himself more than once.
Ah, sure. Larry's exodus preceded my arrival, but that makes sense.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Why the heck does a guy who works at a hedge fund want to hang out with a bunch of Bogleheads?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
drk

Post by drk »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 pm Why the heck does a guy who works at a hedge fund want to hang out with a bunch of Bogleheads?
Despite the moniker, HEDGEFUNDIE worked at a Bay Area tech company.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

drk wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:36 pm
mikejuss wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 pm Why the heck does a guy who works at a hedge fund want to hang out with a bunch of Bogleheads?
Huh--I clearly need to do my homework on this matter. Still, his handle does not suggest someone interested in debating the merits of passive investing. Maybe I'll change my user name to "DAYTRADER4LIFE."
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 pm
Huh--I clearly need to do my homework on this matter. Still, his handle does not suggest someone interested in debating the merits of passive investing. Maybe I'll change my user name to "DAYTRADER4LIFE."
I think he only did that strategy with a small part of his portfolio and the rest was pretty BH.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:41 pm
He’s not into passive 3 funds but isn’t an advocate for active management except for EM (mainly China) where there’s strong evidence in outperformance by active funds. He does have unconventional ideas like HFEA or interest only mortgage. It’s nice to discuss different ideas but I didn’t understand why he left based on the short post exchange. Maybe it’s all the unpleasant encounters combined.
sergio

Post by sergio »

I don't mind the dominance of the 3-fund portfolio threads, or the endless "VTSAX vs. VTI" or "20 vs 30% International" posts. But for personal finance there are definitely some personalities stuck in their ways and constantly copy-and-paste the same garbage without considering the nuances of someone's particular situation. Stuff like "PMI is always bad, don't ever consider anything but 20% down + 15 year mortgage", or "don't do anything until you have 12+ months emergency fund in the bank" or "don't ever buy a house that costs more than 2X your income". It can become really grating.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sergio wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 pm I don't mind the dominance of the 3-fund portfolio threads, or the endless "VTSAX vs. VTI" or "20 vs 30% International" posts. But for personal finance there are definitely some personalities stuck in their ways and constantly copy-and-paste the same garbage without considering the nuances of someone's particular situation. Stuff like "PMI is always bad, don't ever consider anything but 20% down + 15 year mortgage", or "don't do anything until you have 12+ months emergency fund in the bank" or "don't ever buy a house that costs more than 2X your income". It can become really grating.
The fun part is trying to convince them otherwise (in a civil manner), no?
nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer »

I also miss him--he pushed my thinking on things. Several months ago I tried PM'ing him, but he doesn't seem to be monitoring those either.

I do wish there was a forum for "frugal bogleheads who like a spicier life than 3-fund". I would join in a heartbeat.