Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Tellurius

Post by Tellurius »

One of the greatest investing stories (adventures?) of our time was started by him. So what happened? Why is he gone?

Veni vidi vici?
“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!” | ― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
8foot7

Re: Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

Post by 8foot7 »

I think someone argued with him/her about the tax efficiency of large sums of money in taxable VTI (think millions) ad nauseam and he/she reached his/her boiling point.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Well that stinks.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

He liked to argue until he didn't. That's kinda what these forums provide. I don't mean BH dot org, I mean all of them.
This time is the same
pokebowl

Post by pokebowl »

We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
bling

Post by bling »

yea, really unfortunate. it's not just his contributions to this forum but also to the investment community. his adventure thread, UPRO/TMF are frequently referenced on other sites.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Considering he's now got three threads revolving around him on the first page, is a bit strange he himself is totally absent.

We have:

HEDGEFUNDIE's excellent adventure Part II: The next journey
Riding HEDGEFUNDIE’s excellent adventure

Yet, are missing:

HEDGEFUNDIE Goes Hawaiian
Zen and the Art of HEDGEFUNDIE
HEDGEFUNDIE Does Dallas
CanaBogle24

Post by CanaBogle24 »

Anyone want to take the lead on a petition to get him/her back? Don't want them to turn into the Satoshi of the HEA... creates an ingenious concept that sets into motion a movement beyond what anyone ever could have imagined, then disappears into the darkness, never to be heard from again.

Although, the legend certainly is amplified by the sudden disappearance. Maybe they prefer it this way.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CanaBogle24 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anyone want to take the lead...to get him/her back?
I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

pokebowl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
It's human nature on both accounts, but I always treat the internet as a place to never let my ego get too attached to my position. Taking all this personally isn't worth it. Even if I'm going to be stubborn, I recognize the other person's right to be equally so, and at some point just move on after we've taken the hundredth lap around a dead horse.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm
CanaBogle24 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anyone want to take the lead...to get him/her back?
I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
Perhaps he’ll give you a pen?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters (Bogleheads Community) forum (concern for a Boglehead).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

There’s a pernicious and depressing tendency for some posters here to think they’re the arbiter of what’s right and wrong, and what “belongs” on Bogleheads. International, factors, dividends, alternatives, etc all get boilerplate arguments for and against from the same people posting the same comment in every thread. It’s tiresome.

And I t goes far beyond investing to include whether to buy a house, a car, a vacation etc. The correct choice for one person at one time in their eyes morphs into the correct decision for all people at all times, And anyone who doesn’t share that view is misguided or ignorant. That’s why we end up with non-sensical rules of thumb for example. I don’t know why those posters can’t just agree to disagree (or just not click on those threads in the first place) but I think HF just got tired of defending himself from the non-stop negativity.

I’m not naive, the “wild” internet is much worse though. Thank goodness this forum is moderated.
drk

Post by drk »

I don't know if this runs afoul of forum rules, but I'm pretty sure HEDGEFUNDIE created a new sock-puppet account that was active for a couple of months this summer. Either that, or they have a financial doppleganger running around their company.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
lws

Post by lws »

Internet forums can cause grief.
A calm discussion can turn into a heated argument.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 pm Considering he's now got three threads revolving around him on the first page, is a bit strange he himself is totally absent.

We have:

HEDGEFUNDIE's excellent adventure Part II: The next journey
Riding HEDGEFUNDIE’s excellent adventure

Yet, are missing:

HEDGEFUNDIE Goes Hawaiian
Zen and the Art of HEDGEFUNDIE
HEDGEFUNDIE Does Dallas
The missing thread to complete the HEDGEFUNDIE trilogy would be the eventual
HEDGFUNDIE & his Portfolio Face the Music
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I miss him. There are a lot of interesting posts from him and an out of box thinker.
Given how sportive and positively he debated on the UPRO discussion and criticism, I am surprised he left.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Mic drop move: One day, years from now, he'll randomly reappear with a single post: An image of a massive beautiful yacht. Then disappears again, forever.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

ray.james wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:52 pm I miss him. There are a lot of interesting posts from him and an out of box thinker.
Given how sportive and positively he debated on the UPRO discussion and criticism, I am surprised he left.
I agree. When he started discussing his interest-only mortgage I thought it was a ridiculous idea, but when he explained why it made sense for him (and acknowledged that it doesn't always make sense for every situation), I saw what he was trying to do and it really DID make sense.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

pokebowl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
Like sscritic
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

HEDGEFUNDIE didn't genuflect before the Bogle/Buffett 100% US ALL THE TIME portfolio. He was a heretic who was driven out by the faithful.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm HEDGEFUNDIE didn't genuflect before the Bogle/Buffett 100% US ALL THE TIME portfolio. He was a heretic who was driven out by the faithful.
This is why I've always thought there needs to be a subforum for factor tilting/alternatives/etc.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm HEDGEFUNDIE didn't genuflect before the Bogle/Buffett 100% US ALL THE TIME portfolio. He was a heretic who was driven out by the faithful.
It is a real loss though. He contributed a lot here, and was very thought provoking. He seemed to me, to be arguing in good faith. He added vibrancy to the place.....

It is a shame. We have lost some very valuable community members in similar manner.

Some folks are just jerks, and the only lasting impact they have is to drive people away.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

I’m sure he’ll be back. Guys like that who get heated up and passionate about anything tend to take a brief hiatus. I did enjoy his commentary and investment ideas.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 pm
This is why I've always thought there needs to be a subforum for factor tilting/alternatives/etc.
AFAIK I am one of the only people using 3X international funds.

Just because you are comfortable with a strategy doesn’t mean everyone will be. It’s to be expected.

It’s good for people to hear how their strategy won’t work out. Often it’s just an edge case scenario that perhaps you can dismiss as unlikely (asteroid, aliens, rising inflation, ah j/k), but it really shouldn’t hurt you to hear an opposing view unless you are an advisor whose income would be hurt by particular choices.

Post by 000 »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 am HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

I was a regular reader at that time and never understood what about that post made him so angry.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

typical.investor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Just because you are comfortable with a strategy doesn’t mean everyone will be. It’s to be expected.

It’s good for people to hear how their strategy won’t work out. Often it’s just an edge case scenario that perhaps you can dismiss as unlikely (asteroid, aliens, rising inflation, ah j/k), but it really shouldn’t hurt you to hear an opposing view unless you are an advisor whose income would be hurt by particular choices.
Yeah I don't mind it in the main forum at all, but a lot of people do and will fight it tooth and nail.

So I've long had a theory that a separate subforum would make things more passable for everyone.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

That’s not really true though. Plenty of prominent Bogleheads don’t have “purist” US TSM strategies.

Frankly I saw plenty of threads where HEDGEFUNDIE was argumentative, condescending, or acted like a know-it-all. He was one of those posters who gave the reverse impression that people investing the “Bogle way” were rubes. So I can understand why many engaged in spirited arguments, which he seemed to generally enjoy since he provoked those arguments proactively in many threads.

He was certainly an interesting voice, but you have to expect when you go to a forum with a certain bias and argue against it that most discussions will not be agreements. It would be the same if going to a real estate forum and arguing that stocks are a better investment. Or going to a church and arguing for atheism. Or a Red Sox forum and saying Yankees rule. It’s just how we organize and dissenters need to be okay with that. Many will wear out, which I understand as well.

I always wanted to see how the famous thread would turn if we had a simultaneous equity and long term bond crash. Would have really been a storm of descending Bogleheads. Not quite as good as Market Timer’s thread. But that one was just so raw because he was all-in, not dipping his toe.
taurabora

Post by taurabora »

I just want the chart to be updated.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 pm
typical.investor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Yeah I don't mind it in the main forum at all, but a lot of people do and will fight it tooth and nail.

So I've long had a theory that a separate subforum would make things more passable for everyone.
Well, gonna be honest here and say as a factor investor, that I don’t buy the kool-aid factor investing view that one is not diversified if they only hold total market. Nor do I believe that factors are actually independent sources of return, but rather correlations will jump in certain conditions and you can experience tail returns (good or bad) for a long time.

And yeah that view will draw ire, scorn, and unpleasantness out of other factor investors. So I don’t mind Taylor posting in the factor threads.

That said, I do believe factors offer a premium for those willing to hold them.

My views wouldn’t fit into either of your subforums I think.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

taurabora wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm I just want the chart to be updated.
You can check the results in something like portfolio visualizer with the 55/45 allocation. It's done quite well since Feb 2019 and since the downturn. I think the treasury allocation worked as desired in the March crash and the fast recovery of the S&P 500 worked out well for it, too. I'm sure performance was somewhat dependent on rebalancing dates in March/April though.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

typical.investor wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm My views wouldn’t fit into either of your subforums I think.
Maybe that's why they haven't created one. I figure it would just keep things separated enough.

The issue that comes up is 10 people are trying to discuss one thing, but a couple other people keep derailing the conversation.

That's what seemed to drive Larry Swedroe out of here.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Honestly it just seems like they need to enable the "Ignore User" functionality. Almost every forum lets you block/ignore people.

PhpBB has the friends/foes functionality where foes get ignored, but I think foes are disabled here.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

muffins14 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:06 pm
taurabora wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 pm I just want the chart to be updated.
You can check the results in something like portfolio visualizer with the 55/45 allocation. It's done quite well since Feb 2019 and since the downturn. I think the treasury allocation worked as desired in the March crash and the fast recovery of the S&P 500 worked out well for it, too. I'm sure performance was somewhat dependent on rebalancing dates in March/April though.
I thought that HEDGEFUNDIE's strategy depended on a specific rebalancing discipline that didn't match PortfolioVisualizer's options?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
DrGoguma

Post by DrGoguma »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 pm
nisiprius wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:42 am HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

I was a regular reader at that time and never understood what about that post made him so angry.
I think because the person who posted it had no reasoning (literally none) behind their argument while HF had demonstrated with numbers why he recommended what he recommended. Hedgefundie wanted to engage in order to get sharper, see things he was missing, etc. Hearing one more: we do this because that's what we've always done, was apparently bothering him.

Post by 000 »

DrGoguma wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 pm I think because the person who posted it had no reasoning (literally none) behind their argument while HF had demonstrated with numbers why he recommended what he recommended. Hedgefundie wanted to engage in order to get sharper, see things he was missing, etc. Hearing one more: we do this because that's what we've always done, was apparently bothering him.
I thought sf_tech_saver's reasoning was that they would be comfortable holding VTI forever, but not a tilt to low dividend stocks (which is also a sector and style tilt), which seems a valid reason to me. Many people are way too obsessed with tax deferral (which is all qualified dividend avoidance is).

Rescanning the thread now, the OP was a tech worker (making a growth tilt even less desirable from a diversification perspective), not a US citizen (making the probability of realizing capital gains if leaving the US much higher), and asking about an SMA (which charges a relatively high cost solely to defer taxes). I think the comments from mainstream Bogleheads in that thread were totally appropriate.
DrGoguma

Post by DrGoguma »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:35 pm
DrGoguma wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 pm I think because the person who posted it had no reasoning (literally none) behind their argument while HF had demonstrated with numbers why he recommended what he recommended. Hedgefundie wanted to engage in order to get sharper, see things he was missing, etc. Hearing one more: we do this because that's what we've always done, was apparently bothering him.
I thought sf_tech_saver's reasoning was that they would be comfortable holding VTI forever, but not a tilt to low dividend stocks (which is also a sector and style tilt), which seems a valid reason to me. Many people are way too obsessed with tax deferral (which is all qualified dividend avoidance is).

Rescanning the thread now, the OP was a tech worker (making a growth tilt even less desirable from a diversification perspective), not a US citizen (making the probability of realizing capital gains if leaving the US much higher), and asking about an SMA (which charges a relatively high cost solely to defer taxes). I think the comments from mainstream Bogleheads in that thread were totally appropriate.
Well, there you go another vote for paying lots of taxes because it's comfortable, i.e. what you've always done. The advice doesn't bother me.

It did apparently bother hedge fundie. I think he was a hoping for a little more than a skim and: yep, looks like you need more VTI in your life. I suspect the posters condescension didn't help either.

Again, I'm not here for advice on my investments by and large (I'm also not in the top tax bracket), so it doesn't bother me either way. But its not hard for me to see why that post would bother him.

Post by 000 »

DrGoguma wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 pm Well, there you go another vote for paying lots of taxes because it's comfortable, i.e. what you've always done. The advice doesn't bother me.

It did apparently bother hedge fundie. I think he was a hoping for a little more than a skim and: yep, looks like you need more VTI in your life. I suspect the posters condescension didn't help either.
It's not about what's comfortable. It's about higher after-tax returns, which is not the same as lower taxes. As is usual with these discussions, the tax avoiders don't show the whole picture, i.e. what happens when you sell. For a non-citizen with no right to remain in the US and presumably no desire to hold US-domiciled assets if needing to leave the US, that's a pretty big consideration.

Avoiding qualified dividends in the hope of receiving capital gains is only tax deferral (both QDs and LTCGs are at the same rate). You are only better off if you actually get the capital appreciation in place of the dividends and your tax rate is lower when you sell shares. For a decamillionaire, the only way this is likely to happen is if he dies with the shares intact and gets a step-up in basis. Holding individual stocks (such as in a SMA) makes more sense, but still the main effects achieved are tax deferral and increased complication.

Anyway, the investment approaches advocated by HEDGEFUNDIE will work until they don't. Very few of them are low cost diversified approaches.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 pm Avoiding qualified dividends in the hope of receiving capital gains is only tax deferral (both QDs and LTCGs are at the same rate). You are only better off if you actually get the capital appreciation in place of the dividends and your tax rate is lower when you sell shares. For a decamillionaire, the only way this is likely to happen is if he dies with the shares intact and gets a step-up in basis. Holding individual stocks (such as in a SMA) makes more sense, but still the main effects achieved are tax deferral and increased complication.
Another more common scenario that plays out is high earners selling appreciated assets after they have early retired and are in a much lower LTCG bracket.

The highest LTCG/QCD bracket in CA is 37.1%

Deferring this to when your bracket is only 15% is not just deferral, it’s avoidance.

Post by 000 »

Tingting1013 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm Another more common scenario that plays out is high earners selling appreciated assets after they have early retired and are in a much lower LTCG bracket.

Deferring this to when your bracket is only 15% is not just deferral, it’s avoidance.
Well, in the linked thread that made HEDGEFUNDIE rage quit, the OP said:
Considering again that I won’t need much, if any, income, and that I will likely sell LTCGs in 4-5 years after leaving California (with a citizenship)
So we have someone who has income from somewhere else supporting a SF mortgage and planning to sell for CGs in a few years.

Now I feel like I'm shouting into the wind.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm Another more common scenario that plays out is high earners selling appreciated assets after they have early retired and are in a much lower LTCG bracket.

Well, in the linked thread that made HEDGEFUNDIE rage quit, the OP said:
Considering again that I won’t need much, if any, income, and that I will likely sell LTCGs in 4-5 years after leaving California (with a citizenship)
So we have someone who has income from somewhere else supporting a SF mortgage and planning to sell for CGs in a few years.

Now I feel like I'm shouting into the wind.
I must be misunderstanding your point? Because what you just said supports my point. The OP is in a super high bracket now and will sell his stock in a much lower tax bracket. This is the exact scenario where he should consider reducing current taxable distributions.

Post by 000 »

Tingting1013 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 pm I must be misunderstanding your point? Because what you just said supports my point. The OP is in a super high bracket now and will sell his stock in a much lower tax bracket. This is the exact scenario where he should consider reducing current taxable distributions.
It appeared their income for that few years period (presumably including the year when CGs were sold before moving somewhere else) would be relatively the same other than the tax hit from selling all the FB shares, which the OP had already done.

Anyway, I don't care to discuss this further as the exact optimization is not important, but rather the fact that there was nothing so out of place in that thread warranting a rage quit.

Of course, anyone can leave this forum at any time, but the claimed reason for doing so is just silly.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I dislike losing a good contributor and hedgefundie is clearly an articulate and skilled critical thinker. But I think contributor flameouts are largely self-inflicted. While some debates are quite interesting, if I tried to "correct" every piece of garbage I see on this site, it would be miserable and time-consuming. I trust myself and other readers to sort the good information from the bad.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. :P
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:31 pm I dislike losing a good contributor and hedgefundie is clearly an articulate and skilled critical thinker. But I think contributor flameouts are largely self-inflicted. While some debates are quite interesting, if I tried to "correct" every piece of garbage I see on this site, it would be miserable and time-consuming. I trust myself and other readers to sort the good information from the bad.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. :P
+1, I didn't always agree but HEDGEFUNDIE made me think for sure and miss his contributions. He had self reported to have a BS in philosophy and MBA degree. I am not sure why that last forum and post was so disagreeable, I didn't see any national debates or personal attacks. It must have have been a cumulative series of events.
keanoz

Post by keanoz »

Always looked forward to reading his post. Sucks he left... :(
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Yeah, the guy was smart enough to decide to get a life and not waste time/life on a forum.
What was the question?
Godot

Post by Godot »

Tellurius wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:55 am One of the greatest investing stories (adventures?) of our time was started by him. So what happened? Why is he gone?

Veni vidi vici?
NOC
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
spae

Post by spae »

Last edited by spae on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

spae wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:14 am
DrGoguma wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 pm
000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:38 pm

I think because the person who posted it had no reasoning (literally none) behind their argument while HF had demonstrated with numbers why he recommended what he recommended. Hedgefundie wanted to engage in order to get sharper, see things he was missing, etc. Hearing one more: we do this because that's what we've always done, was apparently bothering him.
Are you confusing HF with somebody else? HF was bombastic, dogmatic, and would respond to data and reasoned arguments that contradicted with position with empty bluster. I'm doing a variant of "his" strategy (which had been presented numerous places before his thread, most major investment forums will have somebody who's "discovered" the same strategy), but having read all of the HF threads, I can't see how somebody could think that he wanted to listen to input.

When Moto and others called him out for overfitting and performance chasing, his response was that they were just jealous that he was going to make so much money or afraid of making money. Not what you'd expect from somebody looking to learn, but exactly what you'd expect from HF if you followed his threads.
HF literally changed his strategy 6 months in because of feedback, that’s why there’s a part 2 thread.

I don’t think the Excellent Adventure is original, but be honest, would you be in any variant at all without his original thread?

Speaking of rage-quitting, did you delete all of your prior posts or what?