Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ElJefeDelQueso

Re: Hedgefundie

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

nix4me wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 pm Does anyone know where the user Hedgefundie went when he left here? Like if he is on another forum?
Nix4me, nobody really knows where someone goes when they leave Bogleheads, but I'd like to think he went to a better place.
sc9182

Re: Where did HEDGEFUNDIE go?

Post by sc9182 »

We had a few private conversations prior to HF sudden departure. All I can say is we practice similar to what he preached (then some) - for over 11-12 years ever since after GFC (and availability of ProShares 3x and 2x leveraged ETFs). But only with 25% or less of our portfolio. Add when market goes down - remove some if it goes much over 25% of our portfolio; remaining 75% portfolio is mostly indexes and some select individual long term stocks (more than 8 retuned over 10-20-30 times multi-baggers over the last 13-15 years). In a way, we generate some Alpha (with much higher Beta of course), over the years - beating s&p quite a bit (by 4-5% annually on overall portfolio- but if you just look at the 25% sliver — the out-performance was by huge margin). Our belief in markets is: as much if not stronger than Mr. Bogle himself may have held/had in ultimate long-term market success. And our working income, ensued savings (net new monies being poured into portfolio every so often) provided firepower needed for buy-more-when-low (relatively speaking, we are net long term accumulators, more savings/investing especially when markets are a bit down).

Most importantly- we had near-zero tax ramifications - as most of this Alpha generation performed in IRAs, 529s, HSAs, and DAFs. (Again only about 25% of overall portfolio)

Having said this: one needs strong/longer career, savings, discipline, and serious will power to go thru market gyrations. Especially when you are talking that 25% goes above double commas or into mid 7-figures — as the swings would be too drastic (in $$ figures), but when things go down - you ought to have guts and willingness to pour more into this strategy.

Most importantly, the last 12 years of market since GFC has made many strategies- winners. Just mere fact that you invested for long term, has most likely made you a winner !! Happy investing - and for strong discipline of saving, and strong career.

Yup selectively done - Interest-Only 10-year Mortgage (again - in limited ways), with strong career, good savings, and moderate risk.

Other HOT things such as “Relationship Discount on Mortgages” — saving about 0.5% on rate over best prevailing/competitive market rates (of course, try to always do with zero/near zero closing costs)

You just can’t pick arguments/heated-discussions; let go at some point; do what you best - “Your Day Job” (emphasis on Strong career/earnings/savings/investing) - and try for some Alpha in limited sliver/portion of portfolio. Now we may have to go lament on RMD threads - but never overly fear taxes (do plan though) - taxes are consequence of having/making more money !! Never did an extra quarter or two in ours pocket (due to extra income) hardly hurt us; so earn/save more, also do tax optimize but don’t fret tax itself. Many of us haven’t “experienced” other developed countries’ significantly higher tax rates, welcome to good ole US of A - with decent tax rates :-)

Miss HF, but we’ve practiced that philosophy- for nearly dozen+ years, then some (on limited portion of portfolio).

Good luck for long term, and disciplined investors.
Last edited by sc9182 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

He is cruising around in my truck with me! We are getting ready to back it up and buy more shares.😂🤣

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Pacific wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 am...Also, whatever happened to another of my favs -- the insurance encyclopedia Ole Meph?...
Sad News About a Respected Forum Member

I think this is his obituary: Lee Marshall
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm
CanaBogle24 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anyone want to take the lead...to get him/her back?
I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
Thanks for a good laugh.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I miss chaz and his succinct posts.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

JonnyDVM wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:53 pmTo be fair though, this is probably the most cordial/least toxic forum you’ll find on the internet.
True, but that is a extremely low bar.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

alpenglow wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:37 am
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm
CanaBogle24 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm Anyone want to take the lead...to get him/her back?
I'll try and track him down, stand outside his house with a boombox over my head.
Thanks for a good laugh.
Could he be a cast member on the Showtime show called "Billions"?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

nerdymarketer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 am I also miss him--he pushed my thinking on things. Several months ago I tried PM'ing him, but he doesn't seem to be monitoring those either.

I do wish there was a forum for "frugal bogleheads who like a spicier life than 3-fund". I would join in a heartbeat.
Having been a poster who has taken long breaks from this forum after being personally attacked for sharing a contrary view, I received the email notifications of the PMs, but for my own mental sanity, I resisted the temptation to log in and view them, lest I re-open the mental wounds.

In my case, it was innocently stating that young people today are facing numerous financial challenges that I didn't face as a young sprout, and certainly my parents and grandparents didn't face, and ending up in a flame war that I tried to disengage from, but certain posters followed me to other threads.

I had to wait until those posters had backed off and until my own mental triggers were under control before coming back. I find myself far more frequently these days starting a reply, then realizing it will just lead to more flame wars, and cancelling out before posting. So I'm back, but in a far more reduced capacity than I was before.

This forum can be mostly cordial, until it isn't, and you may not see that until you experience it personally. So I don't blame HF for backing off. It's sometimes the best thing one can do for one's own mental health, well-being, and happiness.
akpk

why did HEDGEFUNDIE leave?

Post by akpk »

[merged into existing topic - moderator prudent]

Anyone knows why did HEDGEFUNDIE leave the forum. He used to offer some very interesting perspective. Two of my favorites threads were:
1. The UPRO/TSM portfolio research.
2. Take on interest only mortgage.

Hope he comes and starts contributing to this forum again.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: why did HEDGEFUNDIE leave?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

akpk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:05 pm Anyone knows why did HEDGEFUNDIE leave the forum. He used to offer some very interesting perspective. Two of my favorites threads were:

already asked here:
viewtopic.php?t=326590
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

He was a great poster, in my opinion.

I think he posted some place why he was leaving. I think it was that folks didn’t really want to *discuss* what he was into, but rather just endlessly criticized him and his ideas. Some of it felt uncivil to read….

It’s a shame. Other valuable posters have disappeared for similar reasons.
akpk

Post by akpk »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:08 pm
akpk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:05 pm Anyone knows why did HEDGEFUNDIE leave the forum. He used to offer some very interesting perspective. Two of my favorites threads were:

already asked here:
viewtopic.php?t=326590
Interesting - Thanks for sharing the link. I will check it out.
akpk

Post by akpk »

Normchad wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:09 pm He was a great poster, in my opinion.

I think he posted some place why he was leaving. I think it was that folks didn’t really want to *discuss* what he was into, but rather just endlessly criticized him and his ideas. Some of it felt uncivil to read….

Normchad - Agreed he was great poster. I totally enjoyed his insights.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
akpk

Post by akpk »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 pm HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

In general, to find a user's last post, you can hover over any place where the system is showing their screen name. It will turn into a link and you can click on it to find the user's profile. Or, you can click on the gear icon top right near the search box and search on their screen name. The profile contains a link for searching the user's posts. In this case:

Thank you Nisiprius!
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Speaking of quality members, anyone know what happened to willthrill81? Nothing since early June.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Tdubs wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:24 pm Speaking of quality members, anyone know what happened to willthrill81? Nothing since early June.
Great question. Great poster! Hopefully he is on a month long hiking vacation someplace…..
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

We haven't seen livesoft in more than a week.
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 pm HEDGEFUNDIE's latest (i.e. last) post is here.

So he didn't leave because of all of the drama surrounding his "excellent adventure", just some other person's portfolio?

Huh!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Tdubs wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:24 pm Speaking of quality members, anyone know what happened to willthrill81? Nothing since early June.
Normchad wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 pmGreat question. Great poster! Hopefully he is on a month long hiking vacation someplace…..
You're both too kind. After a three month hiatus, I've decided to return to the forum, but I doubt that I'll be posting at the same frequency as before. I'm treating it as kind of a probationary thing for multiple reasons.
The Sensible Steward
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Normchad wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:26 pmGreat question. Great poster! Hopefully he is on a month long hiking vacation someplace…..
You're both too kind. After a three month hiatus, I've decided to return to the forum, but I doubt that I'll be posting at the same frequency as before. I'm treating it as kind of a probationary thing for multiple reasons.
Glad you're back. I kept checking to see if you had any recent activity. Always appreciate your wisdom, however much you care to give.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Tdubs wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:51 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Glad you're back. I kept checking to see if you had any recent activity. Always appreciate your wisdom, however much you care to give.
I've started a new thread regarding our recent and dramatically altered plans for the future that might interest you.
The Sensible Steward
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
evestor

Post by evestor »

+1

HF made me a bunch of $ by positioning a strategy that held up to scrutiny which in turn pushed me to take a long term UPRO position in my portfolio. If I knew her/him personally, I would buy them dinner tomorrow as a thank you.

I wish the board did not squash such broad thinking. It is by no means isolated to this instance or this area.
dirteemac

Post by dirteemac »

is there anyway to calculate what his present returns are?
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 pm
pokebowl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm We lose (and almost lose) great forum contributors every once in awhile due to folks unwilling to compromise on views or admitting to agree to disagree.
Like sscritic
+1
danbdzs

Re: Searching for Lost Contributors

Post by danbdzs »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Apologies as I'm aware this has been asked,
But was there ever a consensus re Hedgefundie's participation in another forum? Or sharing thouhgts anywhere else?

Would be very interested in hearing their thouhgts on leverage and Mortage Your Retirement kind of strategy on a secular interest rates uptrend combined with inflation. Apart from the 3x adventure I remember they had a large llocation on PSLDX.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged danbdzs's post into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

evestor wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:02 pm

+1

HF made me a bunch of $ by positioning a strategy that held up to scrutiny which in turn pushed me to take a long term UPRO position in my portfolio. If I knew her/him personally, I would buy them dinner tomorrow as a thank you.

I wish the board did not squash such broad thinking. It is by no means isolated to this instance or this area.
Please do link to the posts where Hedgefundies' ideas were "squashed". I participated in many of the threads and have no recollection at all of him being 'squashed'.

Perhaps he got tired of being asked to analyze every sub-variant of the strategy. Perhaps he got tired or reassuring people that high inflation would never come.

In any case, I too use HFEA but don't think we can conclude it's held up to scrutiny. It's vulnerable to rising rates and as I have always maintained - the rollback of globalization would have serious consequences on inflation.

I have consistently found that any idea with any merit is welcome on this forum, and that ideas that promise too much get challenged.

Equity like returns and bond like volatility for alternatives? Greater diversification by systematically excluded holdings which will go on to underperform (factor investing)? Next generation financial assets which rely on a theory of 'greater fools'? I've seen posts here on Bogleheads where 60 year-olds-on disability had advisors putting them in one or more of those things and asking what to do. I guess your position is just for us to silently acquiesce because any and all push back against 'broad thinking' is somehow not warranted.

In any case, I advised that person on disability that alternatives weren't such a good substitute for safe treasuries and I will push back against both HFEA and factor diversification (even though I use both) when the risks are being glossed over and the promises too high. Sorry that you don't like it. I do apologize.

As for URPO, do you understand how volatility effects returns. Paired with a safe asset, its expected a negative correlation between them will allow for rebalancing which will offset a potential negative volatility effect and/or the potential positive effect. When both are down though, both funds will be vulnerable. The only way to keep on target to 3X the index (minus costs) is to add money to these funds when they have losses and their leverage reset reduces their ability to appreciate in a recovery. There is both theoretical and empirical data to support that position, but saying it in HFEA threads is fraught with danger as the HFEA adherents freak out that their portfolio isn't bulletproof. Sorry, it's just the truth and deserves to be said.
gobel

Post by gobel »

I think generally people find sarcasm unkind and get tired of it after a while.
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

typical.investor wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:49 pm

+1

Please do link to the posts where Hedgefundies' ideas were "squashed". I participated in many of the threads and have no recollection at all of him being 'squashed'.

Perhaps he got tired of being asked to analyze every sub-variant of the strategy. Perhaps he got tired or reassuring people that high inflation would never come.

In any case, I too use HFEA but don't think we can conclude it's held up to scrutiny. It's vulnerable to rising rates and as I have always maintained - the rollback of globalization would have serious consequences on inflation.

I have consistently found that any idea with any merit is welcome on this forum, and that ideas that promise too much get challenged.

Equity like returns and bond like volatility for alternatives? Greater diversification by systematically excluded holdings which will go on to underperform (factor investing)? Next generation financial assets which rely on a theory of 'greater fools'? I've seen posts here on Bogleheads where 60 year-olds-on disability had advisors putting them in one or more of those things and asking what to do. I guess your position is just for us to silently acquiesce because any and all push back against 'broad thinking' is somehow not warranted.

In any case, I advised that person on disability that alternatives weren't such a good substitute for safe treasuries and I will push back against both HFEA and factor diversification (even though I use both) when the risks are being glossed over and the promises too high. Sorry that you don't like it. I do apologize.

As for URPO, do you understand how volatility effects returns. Paired with a safe asset, its expected a negative correlation between them will allow for rebalancing which will offset a potential negative volatility effect and/or the potential positive effect. When both are down though, both funds will be vulnerable. The only way to keep on target to 3X the index (minus costs) is to add money to these funds when they have losses and their leverage reset reduces their ability to appreciate in a recovery. There is both theoretical and empirical data to support that position, but saying it in HFEA threads is fraught with danger as the HFEA adherents freak out that their portfolio isn't bulletproof. Sorry, it's just the truth and deserves to be said.
No, him leaving wasn't related to HFEA discussions. See here: viewtopic.php?p=5326882#p5326882
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

hilink73 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 pm

No, him leaving wasn't related to HFEA discussions. See here: viewtopic.php?p=5326882#p5326882
I mean the same principal applies.

If you are advocating for growth only investing to reduce taxes, there are certain implications. It would seem appropriate for those implications to be discussed and I shouldn't think comments questioning strategies which advocate not holding the market to be offensive.

In fact, I think Taylor L does the whole board a service when he posts his concerns in factor investing threads. It's certainly what Bogle would have done. I am a factor investor myself and really don't find it problematic at all when Taylor reminds us of the virtues of Total Market. In fact, I think he is correct in his position on diversification and that his participation truly improves the quality of understanding.

Hedgefundie most likely just had other things to do.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:47 pm I think he only did that strategy with a small part of his portfolio and the rest was pretty BH.
If you read the HFEA thread, you'll find a bunch of young posters who are 100% invested in HFEA...

This is why it's important to offer opposing opinions and point out risks. Too many see HFEA as a near sure thing.

Yes, I'm an old fuddy-duddy... But I still get worried for others when I see the get rich quick mentality show up.
"After years of disappointment with get rich quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme. And quick."
- Homer J. Simpson
We're not saying it won't work... We're saying one should have a plan if it doesn't work. If the risk shows up.

This is true for all investment plans.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:56 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:47 pm I think he only did that strategy with a small part of his portfolio and the rest was pretty BH.
If you read the HFEA thread, you'll find a bunch of young posters who are 100% invested in HFEA...

This is why it's important to offer opposing opinions and point out risks. Too many see HFEA as a near sure thing.

Yes, I'm an old fuddy-duddy... But I still get worried for others when I see the get rich quick mentality show up.
"After years of disappointment with get rich quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme. And quick."
- Homer J. Simpson
We're not saying it won't work... We're saying one should have a plan if it doesn't work. If the risk shows up.

I don't think they are doing what was originally suggested. I also wonder if the suggested strategy would be different now, since was introduced in a totally different market environment.

Get rich quick has burned many investors. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Hopefully they have time to recover.
er999

Post by er999 »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:56 am

- Homer J. Simpson

Important to point out the risks, but to be fair HFEA isn’t really a get rich scheme. He thought he could get to 1 million in 10 years and 10 million in 20-25 years starting from $100k. Waiting for 2 decades to get rich isn’t a get rich quick scheme - I’d apply that term to something that promises riches (> 3 million) in < 5 years.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

hilink73 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 pm
typical.investor wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:49 pm

+1

I don't think that thread really had much to do with it. There was nothing in that thread of enough significance to make someone angry enough to quit the BH forums.

I think it was more likely related to some moderation and deleted posts that occurred earlier in the day in a different thread. No, I don't know what got edited out but it appears that HF was part of the fray. Perhaps he felt he was not treated fairly.

Suffice it to say that Hedgefunie got P.O.ed enough to leave and that was his choice. He signed off and we have not heard from him again.

I'd like to suggest that this thread has run its course and continuing it seems pretty pointless. None of us know the details and likely none of us ever will.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

gobel wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:08 pm I think generally people find sarcasm unkind and get tired of it after a while.
I have to remind myself of this. Some years ago, I may have chased off someone. I reacted to a particular poster who was knowledgeable but made all kinds of assertions, I did give him credit for ideas that I agreed with but also tried to tell him that he just seemed too certain of himself. I have to remind myself that while spirited debate is fun, it isn't my job to straighten everybody else out. One just has to be at peace with the concept that reasonable people will disagree. I don't have the ability to get everyone else to see things my way.

So one thing I do is to try not to troll threads and not to stalk certain people on the forum. Just let them post, don't overdo your responses, and don't give them the feeling that they are a nail that needs to be hammered down whenever they post. I have seen that happen here. I will say for the most part, debate is reasoned here and the Moderators do a good job to keep things from getting out of hand. But the Mods can't be everywhere at once and we have to police ourselves to some degree.
A fool and his money are good for business.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

nedsaid wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:29 pm
gobel wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:08 pm I think generally people find sarcasm unkind and get tired of it after a while.
I have to remind myself of this. Some years ago, I may have chased off someone. I reacted to a particular poster who was knowledgeable but made all kinds of assertions, I did give him credit for ideas that I agreed with but also tried to tell him that he just seemed too certain of himself. I have to remind myself that while spirited debate is fun, it isn't my job to straighten everybody else out. One just has to be at peace with the concept that reasonable people will disagree. I don't have the ability to get everyone else to see things my way.

So one thing I do is to try not to troll threads and not to stalk certain people on the forum. Just let them post, don't overdo your responses, and don't give them the feeling that they are a nail that needs to be hammered down whenever they post. I have seen that happen here. I will say for the most part, debate is reasoned here and the Moderators do a good job to keep things from getting out of hand. But the Mods can't be everywhere at once and we have to police ourselves to some degree.

There is also the issue that with written exchanges, there is no way to see a smile on someone's face or a twinkle in their eye, or even hear a chuckle or the tone of voice. That's a huge shortcoming in general, but it's especially unfortunate when that lack leads to misunderstandings, etc.

Even the little emoticons/etc., can be misunderstood. Is that "wink" a friendly wink? or not so much!? Is a smile friendly, or a bit of a smirk? Is the :oops: meant to me that *I* did something silly or that I think YOU did?

Phone calls/audio aren't perfect, but at least they offer a chance for that tone of voice.

Additionally, when interacting in real time, there's a chance to catch it if you think the other person has misunderstood, and try to clarify, rather than finding out hours later, after the offended other party has written out a possibly "tense" (euphemism?) response that goes in lots of directions, any/many of which might have been interrupted had the exchange been in real time.

By the time someone notices a problem - which could take quite a while in some cases - and then by the time a mod has had a chance to deal with it... a lot more misunderstandings can keep circulating...

I remain impressed with how civil the BH forum is, and it makes interacting here so much more pleasant. And that encourages a better exchange of ideas, in my mind.

I continue to thank the mods, for whom this seems to be an endless and sometimes thankless task, and also all of the other members of the BH community. It's quite a remarkable group. The vast diversity of backgrounds, knowledge, and experiences is both impressive and extremely helpful.

We have learned a huge amount and benefitted in actual financial terms as well.

Perhaps HF will return sometime? I wasn't aware of the details leading up to their departure.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
petulant

Post by petulant »

I bet he lurks here.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

petulant wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:35 pm I bet he lurks here.
+1 :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value