Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: It's time for me to put my name in here. . . . So at this point, I'm thinking Fall of 2021 is the most likely time.
Hi JackFFR1846! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call! You're on the list for Fall 2021 :D
JackFFR1846 wrote:No specific date yet. DW has become tired of doing her job (from home). I'm working from home and could continue. With my spread sheet now showing us having 52.09 times spending in liquid assets, I know we can. Tentatively, once Covid is gone, and we can do something besides.....nothing, we'll hopefully call it quits. I've only just started talking with DW about this. My practical thoughts are looking at the brass handcuffs. I have RSUs worth about ten grand each mid May and mid August and probably every quarter going forward.

Both our kids, while still living here are working full time. Older son owns his own cars. Yes, cars...an 04 Honda S2000 and a brand new Subaru STi.

Thank you for sharing your plans. We hope everything turns out perfectly (and that your son lets you drive his cars!). But about this need to "do something" . . . what about us? Your many helpful posts over the years have been a very useful Something for all of us :happy
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

My retirement estimate was February 15 and today is my last day at work, so I managed to deliver a few days early!

Thanks to the experts on this forum that have given their time, I have improved my financial plans and saved thousands in taxes thanks to all of them!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

wandering_aimlessly wrote: Hard to believe it is this time already...I'll be 55 on June 4th as I leave the workforce - both parents had health issues by 65 retirement so I always knew I would be leaving earlier. Fortunately the company gave me a job for the last year that was a perfect stepping stone to retirement- and I really liked it. Already have 2 cruises scheduled for second half of 2021 but probably need to start planning 2022 if I am to get ahead of the crowd...
Congratulations, wandering_aimlessly, on putting together your upcomng retirement - get ready, it's almost time to punch out! :D Nice to have such a smooth slide into retirement 8-) You're on the 2021 Roll Call.

We wish you good luck setting your cruises, and many, many years of new experiences and adventures, good health and happiness :D
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: I'm giving notice at the end of 2021, but will stay on for a year to transition duties and clients. Will retire just before I turn 54. Not quite the class of 2021, but much of the work pressure will subside once I move to the transition/succession phase.

Getting closer. Woohoo!
OK great! Anything that reduces work pressure is good! We'll include you on the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 - remind me if my marbles start rolling around :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Djwil296 wrote: I’ve been a lurker on the forum for sometime. Finally joined and hope to participate more. I’ll be joining the retirement ranks February 12 at 57 1/2. After almost 33 years in hotel management 2020 was the toughest. Time to take a step back and enjoy life!
Yahoo Djwil296!! That's today!! Congratulations on achieving this great milestone - PUNCH OUT!

No more hotel management, now you can enjoy real vacations - coming up, of course :wink: What are your immediate plans?

Happy to have you on Bogleheads - we're looking forward to your posts. We wish you all the best in your retirement :happy
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

I'm officially entering the Retirement Class of 2021. I'm going to starting transitioning away from work toward the end of June with the goal of no longer working by the end of August.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
Taz

Post by Taz »

Officially called it yesterday. :D Will remain available for periodic questions.

On to the honey do list! :wink:
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Both our kids, while still living here are working full time. Older son owns his own cars. Yes, cars...an 04 Honda S2000 and a brand new Subaru STi.
corn18 wrote: Welcome aboard! And might I add your son has excellent taste in cars. I hope he never sells that S2000. One of the finest roadsters ever made.
Hey - what about my 2010 Chevy Suburban?! What a beast! I can pile everything in it, pile more on top, drives smooth and easy like butter on the highway, and in town, drivers respect me :D Of course, kids don't want to drive it (except when they want to take their friends to Key West for the weekend :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jello_nailer wrote: I might have just added myself to to the class of 2021.
OK, that's cool 8-) We once had a Boglehead who "accidentally retired," filled in the wrong paperwork or something like that, then decided, OK, what the heck, rather than correct it, I'll just retire :D

We're pretty easy on the rules here, so if you want to might have just added yourself to the class of 2021, that's perfectly fine with all of us - in fact, if you want to retire many times, that's ok, we'll even accept Perpetual Potential Retirements :mrgreen:
jello_nailer wrote:Resigned from Mega last Wednesday. I will be 64 in a few months. Gave them a March 1 date, Megacorp countered - end of year. Told them that's a little self centered and asymmetric on their part and we will negotiate next week. They are not doing well with the lose of control.

Front loaded 401k contribution to fully fund 2021 by March 15th so it's possible April 1 will be the date.
Haha! We'll put you on the list for April 1, and you can always request a re-boot.

Very smart to front load the 401k, especially in these times, you never know what happens, and for me, I always felt a huge relief packing it into the 401k as fast and as soon as possible.
jello_nailer wrote:After having run model after model like most of us appear to do, from Monte Carlo's to multiples of current expenses and everything in between, the consensus is I have maybe have a 1% chance of running out of money by the time I am 89, with an 84% chance of dying!

3 weeks ago I realized I am trying to solve the wrong problem. Going broke isn't my problem, dying is.
:shock: :D :?: 8-) :idea:
jello-nailer wrote:Don't have another new job, don't really care. Might have an opportunity for some consulting/advisory work on my terms for scotch money, hobbies, some travel, etc. Could end up being Coast Fire?

The personal liberation over the past 3 days is remarkable.
Really enjoyed reading your retirement plans and thinking, thanks for sharing them!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Gardening Dog wrote: First post, although I have been lurking for years, enough to get our finances in order. Thanks for all the help here! I retired from Megacorp on January 8 after 45 years. Cannot believe I stayed all those years except I really liked the work. the bureaucracy was out of control by the time I left.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Gardening Dog, and what a great first post: The Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Wow! 45 years working for Megacorp! That's quite an accomplishment, and since you liked the work, that makes it even better. Nothing like a good, long life of good work to make a contented feeling of transitioning into retirement. Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class.
Gardening Dog wrote:I still feel like I'm just on vacation, but I'm sure that will change soon. Cleaning out years of stuff in my house and will travel when Covid restrictions lift. Worst part is paying so much more for medical, what with Medicare and Medgap and Part D-- had a Cadillac health care plan so was spoiled, although company does provide some Health Retirement benefits for both of us. Glad to be in retirement class of 2021!
Sounds like you're really enjoying your new freedom. We're all especially interested in how you're going to clean out that years of stuff in the house :mrgreen: Remember not to toss anything until you check what treasures you have!

This fellow recently found, in his mother's attic, the only tape in existence of the first Super Bowl played in 1967 -
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 3773290508 - "Found at Last - A Tape of the First Super Bowl"

And another fellow found hundreds of Clarence Darrow's private letters in the basement of Darrow's granddaughter in a box marked "Christmas ornaments;" the letters pointed to Darrow's jury tampering.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... er-109085/

Who knows what treasures you have under all those piles of stuff?!
We wish you all the best in a long happy retirement - and please keep us posted on how everything goes :sharebeer
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

On track for December 31st. I'll only be 58 but have been working since the age of 10 except for when school got in the way.

I just don't have enough room in my life for a full-time job anymore ;). My DW retired three years ago and we are longing to spend more time visiting family all over the US along with vacationing in Hawaii and Mexico. Also there is Pickleball (gonna try it this summer), swimming, biking, woodworking, gardening... you name it.
birdog

Post by birdog »

There's a possibility my Nov 1 date moves up! Currently engaged in talks to sell my business which could precipitate a spring or summer departure. If you pray, keep me in mind please.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Siaigi wrote: I'm starting to smell my retirement, even though I haven't decided on a specific date yet. It could be September of this year! See you soon! :sharebeer
Welcome Siaigi to this Most Delightful Retirement Roll Call! You're in for September and if you change the date, we'll simply reboot :D

I remember your other BH threads on retiring decisions and the choices you'll need to make. Very nice to be planning the way you are - should make the retirement glide path smoother and your retirement more enjoyable :happy

But what are you going to do with all your free time?
Siaigi wrote:Is there any other Italian in the group?
Yes.

We're all Italians in some form or fashion, depending on our personal passion :D

Italian history, Michelangelo, the Renaissance, lovely Italian countrysides, pretty towns, the evening passeggiata, Verdi and Italian opera, Paganini, Vivaldi, the Eternal City of Rome, Federico Fellini, Luciano Pavarotti, and large quantities of pasta and fettuccini, pizza, panini - all served with Italian wine - and lots of it - and topped with chocolate gelato ice cream desert

I need a vacation (ie. time to retire!)
DKD

Post by DKD »

I'm planning to retire at the end of this year. I've been putting it off for the last 2 years. I'm wired to work and to save money. The idea of not working, having no income and spending my savings at age 62 seems very weird. I'm planning on keeping my asset ratio at 50/50. I do my own financial planning and have run the numbers many different ways, using conservative assumptions, like 4% average inflation for the next 30 years, a loss of 10% of my portfolio permanently next year, and 20 percent greater expenses than I actually expect. I also set aside a pile of money, separately for things like medical until my wife and I are 65, wedding for our daughter, a new car, home remodeling, etc. With these assumptions I have greater than 90% chance of not running out of money in the next 30 years. Yet I'm still not comfortable retiring. Also, 90% of retirees I know were forced to retire. It wasn't by choice. So, I imagine it's unnatural for many people. Any advice to help make the plunge easier?
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

DKD wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:13 pm I'm planning to retire at the end of this year. I've been putting it off for the last 2 years. I'm wired to work and to save money. The idea of not working, having no income and spending my savings at age 62 seems very weird. I'm planning on keeping my asset ratio at 50/50. I do my own financial planning and have run the numbers many different ways, using conservative assumptions, like 4% average inflation for the next 30 years, a loss of 10% of my portfolio permanently next year, and 20 percent greater expenses than I actually expect. I also set aside a pile of money, separately for things like medical until my wife and I are 65, wedding for our daughter, a new car, home remodeling, etc. With these assumptions I have greater than 90% chance of not running out of money in the next 30 years. Yet I'm still not comfortable retiring. Also, 90% of retirees I know were forced to retire. It wasn't by choice. So, I imagine it's unnatural for many people. Any advice to help make the plunge easier?
Reasons to retire: More time to do things while you can be active. More time to work on your mental and physical well being possibly extend your healthy/active state longer into the future.

Reasons against: There is the remote possibility that you could maybe possibly start to run out of money when you are in your 90s. :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Unhewnstone wrote: Hi! First time poster! Found this site after reading the Boglehead Guide to Retirement Planning. Will be retiring April 2021 at the ripe old age of 55 after 35 years in corporate America, mostly in insurance. Still not sure what I want to be when I officially grow up, although still want to be a contributing member of society and hopefully a blessing to others!
Hello Unhewnstone and welcome to the Bogleheads! What a perfect first post - after reading "The Bogleheads Guide to Retirement Planning," you can now successfully retire :D You're on this Great Retirement Roll Call.

After 35 years in corporate America, it's a good time to say good-byes and begin your new beginning!

We wish you a very wonderful retirement with meaningful activities, good health and of course, a long-lasting portfolio - LOL! And you know, we have lots of insurance Qs, so we hope you'll find the time to post your answers to other's pressing insurance Qs 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Exchme wrote: I'm still on track for Feb 15, will put in my notice Monday. DW is retiring at the end of February, but only works part time, so we each have 8 workdays left and are high-fiving each time we knock out one more day. Countdown is getting exciting now!
You're on this Most Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call, Exchme! What could be better than retirement in February with your wife and a whole new world opening up before you :happy

Please let us know your new plans. Here are what your classmates have planned: declutter in perpetuity :mrgreen:, downsize big old home, write a book, learn how to sous vide, pack up the RV and head out west, hike the Grand Canyon, plan travel vacations, and some are even going to just relax 8-) We hope your retirement is everything you wanted :beer
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:26 pm
Exchme wrote: I'm still on track for Feb 15, will put in my notice Monday. DW is retiring at the end of February, but only works part time, so we each have 8 workdays left and are high-fiving each time we knock out one more day. Countdown is getting exciting now!
You're on this Most Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call, Exchme! What could be better than retirement in February with your wife and a whole new world opening up before you :happy

Please let us know your new plans. Here are what your classmates have planned: declutter in perpetuity :mrgreen:, downsize big old home, write a book, learn how to sous vide, pack up the RV and head out west, hike the Grand Canyon, plan travel vacations, and some are even going to just relax 8-) We hope your retirement is everything you wanted :beer
Well right out of the box, nature hit us with the great Texas freeze up, so I spent the first week of retirement trying to keep our food cold and our house and pipes warm. DW retires this week, so starting next week, we can officially continue to be cooped up in the house due to COVID.

We do have serious decluttering to do, it's astonishing how the stuff has piled up over the years. Apparently our garage is where we put things that are not quite bad enough to throw out, so we can wait for them to deteriorate further. It will be a ton of work to go through everything.

We have a grandson to visit (well our DD and SIL too). Once we get past COVID, we are planning to do some light travel, we are not very good at it but have vowed to practice until we get better.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Nash22 wrote: Hey all, I joined the class January 5th at the ripe age of 60 after 36 years with the same organization. It was a great ride. DW joins this this Thursday and is a year younger at 59. We know we are ready.
Welcome to this Fantabulous Retirement Class of 2021 and also, welcome to the Bogleheads!

Wow! 36 years with the same organization and retiring at the ripe age of 60 - sounds like the perfect beginning to a new phase of retirement life, another great ride :D

Speaking of great rides, please let us know what your plans are. Bogleheads have interesting retirement adventures, including one family who's great ride plan was to travel the world in an overland truck heading up the west coast all the way to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean :shock:

In case Tuktoyaktuk doesn't ring a bell, here's a photo:

Needless to say, they took the prize for the Most Adventurous Boglehead Retirees for that year :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

gamboolman wrote: 1-Feb-21 was formal retirement date from megaoil corp.

43 years in the Oilpatch....seems just a blink of the eye ago I was a 18 year old green and wormy "Roustabout" at the ARCO Turnertown Gas Plant in deep East Texas in 1978....

As with all of us with our individual drama's - there was many twists and turns along the Trail to reach retirement.

I can say for sure that "Life's A Dance And You Learn As You Go".....

Sincere thanks to the Bogleheads community for the advice and guidance offered to help up prepare for this new Chapter of Life.

Sincerely, gamboolman & ms gamboolgal...
What a nice post, gamboolman :happy Nice to know the Bogleheads helped make a difference.

And you are so right - many twists and turns along the trail to reach retirement. Sheesh! 43 years in the oil patch - you really earned a permanent break from the work. Enjoy the feeling that the oil patch work is finally over and you can enjoy doing what you want, when you want. And if you want, you can do nothing at all 8-)

Congratulations and best wishes for a long, happy, healthy and very enjoyable retirement. This new Chapter of Life is going to be great!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Exchme wrote: My retirement estimate was February 15 and today is my last day at work, so I managed to deliver a few days early!

Thanks to the experts on this forum that have given their time, I have improved my financial plans and saved thousands in taxes thanks to all of them!
We upgraded you to Feb 11 :D Happy the BHs were able to help you improve your financial plans and save thousands in taxes!
Exchme wrote: Well right out of the box, nature hit us with the great Texas freeze up, so I spent the first week of retirement trying to keep our food cold and our house and pipes warm.
We're so very sorry you were hit with the great Texas freeze-up - these disasters are NO FUN, especially for your first week of retirement :annoyed I suppose you could look at it as your first "retirement adventure."
Exchme wrote:We do have serious decluttering to do, it's astonishing how the stuff has piled up over the years. Apparently our garage is where we put things that are not quite bad enough to throw out, so we can wait for them to deteriorate further. <== I love this description 8-) It will be a ton of work to go through everything.
Oh boy, do you ever have your work cut out for you - it's a shame those water pipes didn't freeze and break in your garage and take out every single pile of everything in one fell swoop :annoyed

I've learned the purpose of a garage is to store unsightly stuff in piles to pretend you have a tidy home, and that it's like an archeological dig to go through it. You start scraping away at the top, which is the most recent stuff - and truly, what else can we call it but STUFF - and then slowly and carefully you scrape away a little more each day, exposing years and decades of evidence of life and culture long gone. At the bottom is evidence of the earliest civilization: your old wedding china, the kids' baby clothes and kindergarten drawings, and the old hamster cage :shock:
Exchme wrote:We have a grandson to visit (well our DD and SIL too). Once we get past COVID, we are planning to do some light travel, we are not very good at it but have vowed to practice until we get better.
Wonderful plans! We wish you good luck with defrosting your pipes and hope for a glorious long enjoyable retirement ahead of you 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

Here's the latest Roll Call for the Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2021 :D

We're happy to announce that 13 Bogleheads have already punched out!

Already Graduated!! - Congratulations and best wishes for an awesome retirement :D
01 Jan - WanderingWheelz (age 49.5)
01 Jan - Silk McCue (61)
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)
05 Jan - Nash22 (60)
08 Jan - Shackleton (53)
08 Jan - Gardening Dog
31 Jan - Arabesque (69.5)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)
01 Feb - ClassOf2021 (63)
12 Feb - Djwil296 (57.5)
11 Feb - Exchme (60)
15 Feb - datadatum (50)
17 Feb - Taz (57)

Our upcoming graduates - getting their plans and paperwork together 8-)
__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)
__ Mar - Barefootgirl (60)

01 Apr - jello_nailer (64)
02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
15 Apr - travelspot (53)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)
-- Apr - Unhewnstone (55)

01 May - reddison (62)
07 May - CompassRose (61)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

01 Jun - beernutz (62)
04 Jun - wandering_aimlessly (55)
11 Jun - trueson1 (65)
18 Jun - ClassOf21 (51)
30 Jun - retire2022
__ Jun - KarenC

01 Jul - KESP (64)
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)

31 Aug - radiowave

20 Sep - goblue100

08 Oct - JediMisty (63)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)

01 Nov - birdog (48)

31 Dec - shapeshifter (58)
31 Dec - DKD (62)
31 Dec - beyou

__ ___ - ClaycordJCA
__ ___ - formerlybroke (60)
__ ___ - JackFFR1846
__ ___ - Siaigi

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Add yourself to this Awesome Retirement Class :sharebeer And let me know if I made any goofs!

Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

OK, it’s time! Retirement effective 4/15/21, please add me to the list.

Age 53. FI since 50, already substantially slowed down over the past couple of years. Leaving a lot of money on the table but I am certain this is the right path. Time to focus more on what’s really important.

Health
Fitness
Travel
Family
Friends

I am grateful to the BH forum for helping me on this path. Truly one of the best sites on the web!
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

travelspot wrote: OK, it’s time! Retirement effective 4/15/21, please add me to the list.

Age 53. FI since 50, already substantially slowed down over the past couple of years. Leaving a lot of money on the table but I am certain this is the right path. Time to focus more on what’s really important.

Health
Fitness
Travel
Family
Friends

I am grateful to the BH forum for helping me on this path. Truly one of the best sites on the web!
We added you to the list, travelspot, and we're happy you made the decision to PUNCH OUT of the rat race and to join the Active Retired Gang :D

What a nice post, we understand fully when one makes the emotional decision that it's "time to focus more on what's really important." Not that making money isn't important :mrgreen: but once you made enough with many years of good work, you've earned the time to relax. We wish you a long and healthy retirement full of family and friends and new adventures :happy
beyou

Post by beyou »

I was both nervous and excited to set my date finally.....last day of 2021.
I assume I will be a part of the group that are last in the class :-)
It will truly be a New Years Eve to celebrate...freedom from my pre-covid commute and my work related meetings/chats/emails/zooms !

Best of luck to all in the group.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: I was both nervous and excited to set my date finally.....last day of 2021.
I assume I will be a part of the group that are last in the class :-)
It will truly be a New Years Eve to celebrate...freedom from my pre-covid commute and my work related meetings/chats/emails/zooms !

Best of luck to all in the group.
All set Beyou, we logged you in for Dec. 31. Here's a little preview of what Dec. 31 will be like - just to keep your spirits upbeat :happy It's hard to do, day by day, week by week, but Dec will be here before you know it.

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

KarenC wrote: I'm officially entering the Retirement Class of 2021. I'm going to starting transitioning away from work toward the end of June with the goal of no longer working by the end of August.
Happy to have you join this Prestigious Retirement Class! Looks like a nice retirement transition plan 8-) You're going to really enjoy walking out in the August sunshine and into a whole new world.

What are your plans to do with all your free time? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans (see upthread for the ambitious plan to travel the world in an overland truck heading up the west coast to Tuktoyaktuk :shock:

We wish you all the best in a happy and healthy retirement :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taz wrote: Officially called it yesterday. :D Will remain available for periodic questions.
Congratulations! The answer to their Q is NO, I'M NOT COMING BACK IN :D
Taz wrote:On to the honey do list! :wink:
Now we're talking serious stuff! Please share your "Honey-(Now-That-You're-Retired)-Do-List" - some classmates may need inspiration and others may breathe a sigh of relief that their Honey didn't get those ideas :wink:
Taz

Post by Taz »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 am
Taz wrote: Officially called it yesterday. :D Will remain available for periodic questions.
Now we're talking serious stuff! Please share your "Honey-(Now-That-You're-Retired)-Do-List" - some classmates may need inspiration and others may breathe a sigh of relief that their Honey didn't get those ideas :wink:
Two weeks and no questions!
Most pressing on the list:
- soffit repair
- very overdue trimming of crape myrtles (builders plant these 3 feet from the house)
- rescreening part of the pool enclosure
- replacing water damaged flooring
- cleaning pool/patio pavers
- raking (certain trees here drop leaves in the fall and late winter)
- pressure wash driveway
- get quotes for pool equipment replacement
- get quotes for exterior painting

Now you've got me all depressed. I need a vacation!
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

shapeshifter wrote: On track for December 31st. I'll only be 58 but have been working since the age of 10 except for when school got in the way.

I just don't have enough room in my life for a full-time job anymore ;). My DW retired three years ago and we are longing to spend more time visiting family all over the US along with vacationing in Hawaii and Mexico. Also there is Pickleball (gonna try it this summer), swimming, biking, woodworking, gardening... you name it.
Wow! You sure have an active retirement planned! What great plans, and for sure, you simply don't have any extra time to work :D

You're on this Grand Retirement Roll Call! Working since 10 years old clearly requires a well-earned retirement. We wish you all the best in all your adventures and hope they are very enjoyable. Please keep us in the loop!
beyou

Post by beyou »

Taz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:58 am
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 am
Two weeks and no questions!
- soffit repair
- very overdue trimming of crape myrtles (builders plant these 3 feet from the house)
- pressure wash driveway

Trying to convince me to NOT retire ?
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:21 pm
KarenC wrote: I'm officially entering the Retirement Class of 2021. I'm going to starting transitioning away from work toward the end of June with the goal of no longer working by the end of August.
Happy to have you join this Prestigious Retirement Class! Looks like a nice retirement transition plan 8-) You're going to really enjoy walking out in the August sunshine and into a whole new world.

What are your plans to do with all your free time? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans (see upthread for the ambitious plan to travel the world in an overland truck heading up the west coast to Tuktoyaktuk :shock:

We wish you all the best in a happy and healthy retirement :D
I'm trying to keep an open mind but since I love learning I suspect I'll spend most of my retirement doing that (e.g. learning a new language).
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

Last June I posted my intention to retire on May 31, 2021. I've been expecting something to pop up and derail my plans. However yesterday I filled out the paperwork and notified senior management. I'll give my co-workers two months notice in order to transition tasks. Delightfully, this means my retirement notice will go out to everyone on April Fools Day. :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

birdog wrote: There's a possibility my Nov 1 date moves up! Currently engaged in talks to sell my business which could precipitate a spring or summer departure. If you pray, keep me in mind please.
OK great! Let us know and we'll reboot you :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Swee'pea wrote: Last June I posted my intention to retire on May 31, 2021. I've been expecting something to pop up and derail my plans. However yesterday I filled out the paperwork and notified senior management. I'll give my co-workers two months notice in order to transition tasks. Delightfully, this means my retirement notice will go out to everyone on April Fools Day. :wink:
That's going to be fun - but it's no joke! You're on the glidepath to the next wonderful phase of your life :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DKD wrote: I'm planning to retire at the end of this year. I've been putting it off for the last 2 years. I'm wired to work and to save money. The idea of not working, having no income and spending my savings at age 62 seems very weird.
Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021, DKD!! Don't worry - no more putting it off, just PUNCH OUT and enjoy a nice long change of pace and new way of life! Before you know it, you'll be wired for retirement and all the neat adventures that come with it :D

You'll get used to not working, and anyway, you'll be so busy you won't have time to work 8-)
DKD wrote:I'm planning on keeping my asset ratio at 50/50. I do my own financial planning and have run the numbers many different ways, using conservative assumptions, like 4% average inflation for the next 30 years, a loss of 10% of my portfolio permanently next year, and 20 percent greater expenses than I actually expect. I also set aside a pile of money, separately for things like medical until my wife and I are 65, wedding for our daughter, a new car, home remodeling, etc.
Sounds like good plans, well-thought-out. Most important ==> wedding for daughter :!: Special times, we hope you and your wife enjoy this fun with many happy memories.
DKD wrote:With these assumptions I have greater than 90% chance of not running out of money in the next 30 years. Yet I'm still not comfortable retiring. Also, 90% of retirees I know were forced to retire. It wasn't by choice. So, I imagine it's unnatural for many people.
It may be unnatural for those who are "wired to work" to retire from a life of paid work, but you're going to have to do it at some point anyway, so just punch out and enjoy being busy for yourself, at what you want to do. Retiring can be psychologically difficult because it means we are growing older :annoyed and we have to change our patterns of life. But these changes are going to come whether we want them to or not. I say this because I went through the same retirement angst, but within months of retiring, I found it wonderful and my portfolio was fine.

And as for :moneybag looks like you're in great shape financially to retire! Enjoy this special time and don't worry :D
DKD wrote:Any advice to help make the plunge easier?
Maybe don't look at it as a plunge. It simply is what has to be done. Life moves on. You're in great shape financially for a long future. And you're going to enjoy retirement very much :beer

We wish you a wonderful retirement with the open road ahead of you filled with many years of relaxing time with your family and friends, enjoying new experiences and adventures. Please let us know how everything goes :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

. . . . .
- soffit repair
- pressure wash driveway

That's quite an impressive Honey-(Now-That-You're-Retired)-To-Do List :shock:

By any chance does your Honey want you out of the house?

Here's our solution ==> call in the experts for the soffit repair, rescreening pool enclosure, replacing water damaged flooring, replacing pool equipment, and painting outside of house. Tell Honey your time is better spent on outdoor exercise trimming crape myrtles, raking leaves, and cleaning pool/patio pavers and driveway, and further, with that exercise you will be healthier and look fabulous, 8-)
CompassRose

Post by CompassRose »

I did it. I gave notice and my last day will be May 7, 2021.
It's amazing how much better I feel knowing that I have accomplished this and looking forward to the next chapter.
:D
Taz

Post by Taz »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 am
That's quite an impressive Honey-(Now-That-You're-Retired)-To-Do List :shock:

By any chance does your Honey want you out of the house?

Here's our solution ==> call in the experts for the soffit repair, rescreening pool enclosure, replacing water damaged flooring, replacing pool equipment, and painting outside of house. Tell Honey your time is better spent on outdoor exercise trimming crape myrtles, raking leaves, and cleaning pool/patio pavers and driveway, and further, with that exercise you will be healthier and look fabulous, 8-)
Agree! I'd rather just move. Making headway though. Currently having a battle of the wits with a squirrel. Reminds me of Saturday morning cartoon antics.

Taz
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CompassRose wrote: I did it. I gave notice and my last day will be May 7, 2021.
It's amazing how much better I feel knowing that I have accomplished this and looking forward to the next chapter.
:D
What a relief! And good timing - happy you're punching out by summer 8-) We'll update the Roll Call.

After de-stressing, what do you think you'll do with all your free time? :happy
bhughes1001

Post by bhughes1001 »

Have finally put in a firm date for retirement - May 7th, 2021 will be my last day, after 37 years, nearly 11 in this job.
Putting the finishing touches on submitting for my pension to start.
I will be 64, my wife 61. We will be using COBRA for the rest of this year, then ACA for her until Medicare eligible.
Planning to keep our home in the Bay Area for now, but we have a long list of Class B van travel locations to keep us on the move.
First stop - Oregon to see our kids and grandkids (number 3 is due in mid May).

Congratulations to us all! :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bhughes1001 wrote: Have finally put in a firm date for retirement - May 7th, 2021 will be my last day, after 37 years, nearly 11 in this job.
Putting the finishing touches on submitting for my pension to start.
I will be 64, my wife 61. We will be using COBRA for the rest of this year, then ACA for her until Medicare eligible.
Planning to keep our home in the Bay Area for now, but we have a long list of Class B van travel locations to keep us on the move.
First stop - Oregon to see our kids and grandkids (number 3 is due in mid May).

Congratulations to us all! :sharebeer
Congratulations, bhughes1001! and welcome to this Magnificent Retirement Roll Call 8-)

Thank you for sharing your retirement glidepath and future plans. The open road is ahead of you - what a glorious feeling that will be to travel to new places and enjoy new experiences after 37 years of good work. And of course, so nice to see the kids and grandkids, and with number 3 on the way in May, I suspect you'll have your work cut out for you :D

We wish you many years of retirement health and fun.
ClassOf2021

Post by ClassOf2021 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 pm
ClassOf2021 wrote: This is my first post, and I’m so glad to be part of the class of 2021 that I picked that as my name.

Retiring 2/1/2021, age 63, 35 years in mega-Corp.
Hi ClassOf2021 - and welcome to the Bogleheads! What a great first post. You're on this Most Awesome Retirement Class Roll Call 8-)

So, 35 years at Mega Corp. Must have been delightful :D Please let us know how you planned for retirement and how well you think it will turn out.

We wish you good luck getting all your retirement papers together and all the best as your retirement adventure begins :beer
I've now been retired for nearly 2 months!

On the financial side, 35 years at Mega Corp set me up well for retirement. I opted for the pension lump sum given the low interest rates and am currently invested with a 50/50 AA.

For retirement I am looking forward to flexibility and travel once COVID settles down. Over the COVID period I have been able to get in great physical shape for retirement. But on earlier this month I had a setback :oops: with a bicycling accident which put me in the hospital for a week; on the heal now but it will optimistically be a couple months before I am back in action.

I am looking forward to what retirement will bring!
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Graduated today, right according to schedule! :)

Yeah! School's Out Forever!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClassOf2021 wrote: For retirement I am looking forward to flexibility and travel once COVID settles down. Over the COVID period I have been able to get in great physical shape for retirement. But on earlier this month I had a setback :oops: with a bicycling accident which put me in the hospital for a week; on the heal now but it will optimistically be a couple months before I am back in action.

I am looking forward to what retirement will bring!
Oh yikes, that was no fun - but when you get back in action, here's some inspiration from Boglehead Raybo, a bicycle enthusiast who rides all over the world, takes gorgeous photos, then posts them here on the forum so we all can enjoy the ride (without the sore muscles haha!). He has his portfolio on "autopedal" :D So you have much to look forward to!

Florence, Italy, to Bern, Switzerland
Slovenia and Croatia
Journal of my ride to the 2015 Bogleheads Conference
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

Hello. Which way to the registrar's office?

Gave verbal notice today, last day June 30!

Will the next 3 months go by fast or drag? I know I will be busy at work, so there's that. Happy to be here!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

McDougal wrote: Hello. Which way to the registrar's office?
Hi McDougal! You found us! Registration complete and before you know it, you'll be PUNCHING OUT! Welcome to this Spectacular Retirement Class :D
McDougal wrote:Gave verbal notice today, last day June 30!
Will the next 3 months go by fast or drag? I know I will be busy at work, so there's that. Happy to be here!
Here's the Answer ==> the next 3 months will go by fast and they will drag :mrgreen: Just stay busy cleaning up your desk, perhaps cleaning up your act LOL, getting those retirement papers in so you can punch out, and enjoy the glide path into retirement.

We hope you have nice plans for this next phase of your life, it's going to be great! :happy
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:50 pm :idea: How does this sound?!

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2021? Congratulations! 8-) To add your name to this Roll Call, just post your R-date and age, if you choose, on this thread and you'll be part of this Great Class of 2021 - and yes, tentative retirement plans are okay :D
Well, it has finally come to fruition. I filed my six month notice on April 1st for retirement date of October 1st 2021. Contract required 6 months notice or I would have had to help pay for recruiting my replacement. I am 61 and so is DW.

None of this would have been possible without this forum. Until I awakened about a decade ago, I had made EVERY investing mistake known. And it was stressful. Bogleheads gave me "financial peace" (to borrow from Dave Ramsey). Thank you Jack Bogle, Taylor, Mr. Barnitz, Livesoft, Nisiprius, Vineviz, Dottie57, dbr, Hedgefundie, and to so many, many paragons of knowledge and true virtue for your guidance and insight.

Plans include more travel, Antarctic scuba diving (bucket list), new pool, TESLA and solar panels, pole barn, vehicle lift, air hammer (too much South Main Auto on youtube!), and finding my new groove, including better sleep and exercise.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Graduated today, right according to schedule! :)

Yeah! School's Out Forever!
Weeeee!! Way to go!! :D What a great feeling to have that part of your life behind you and the wide open world ahead of you!

Looks like you made good plans, working a little longer and now reaping the benefits. We wish you continued good fortune in your retirement and hope you enjoy every minute of every day doing what is most meaningful for you. Please let us know your retirement adventures!

PS - other Bogleheads want to know if you ever found your shoes?! If not, well now you have more time to look 8-)