Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

:idea: How does this sound?!

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2021? Congratulations! 8-) To add your name to this Roll Call, just post your R-date and age, if you choose, on this thread and you'll be part of this Great Class of 2021 - and yes, tentative retirement plans are okay :D
reddison

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by reddison »

Hi Miriam - Thanks for getting this started! I guess no one wants to be first so I will volunteer to jump in. My wife plans to retire in Jan 2021 on her 62nd birthday. I will be joining her on May 1, 2021 (sticking around longer in order to extend COBRA benefits to 36 months for her). It's still pretty far off but the days and months are slowly going by. I have had 2 distinct careers. 15 years in the international airline business with several expat experiences, and 24 years as a corporate attorney. I haven't posted a lot on BH, but I have read and learned a lot from others here. I am 62. Looking forward to hearing from others who will be joining us. We can't wait to have the freedom that comes with retirement!
Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve »

April 2, 2021, will be my first day in retirement. I’ll be 54. DW, who is currently working post-retirement until I’m done, will be 56. We’ll be on COBRA for some months while we sell our home and rid ourselves of most of our belongings, then move to France where we can obtain health coverage for about 300 euros a month (public plus supplemental). There are two likely sources of difficulty with the plan: COVID-19 and two aging dogs. Plan B is to retire and sit tight for a while. We can get ok health coverage through our retirement system if need be.
bliksem55

Post by bliksem55 »

Well, after about 35 years in the IT, food manufacturing and mining industries I have decided to jump off the track and leave the rat race. Having experienced a Product RECALL, and debilitating CYBER ATTACK and now dealing with life at work in the COVID era I think I have done my time. I always said if I get 3 strikes I am out and COVID was it. My DW and I [both 59] plan to travel all over the US and on the occasional international adventure. I plan to put in my notice in June and be out of here by Jan 2, 2021. :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reddison wrote: Hi Miriam - Thanks for getting this started! I guess no one wants to be first so I will volunteer to jump in. My wife plans to retire in Jan 2021 on her 62nd birthday. I will be joining her on May 1, 2021 (sticking around longer in order to extend COBRA benefits to 36 months for her). It's still pretty far off but the days and months are slowly going by.
Hi reddison! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! You're first on the class roster for 2021! That's a big honor and 2021 will be here before you know it 8-) It can be here in the blink of an eye.
reddison wrote: I have had 2 distinct careers. 15 years in the international airline business with several expat experiences, and 24 years as a corporate attorney. I haven't posted a lot on BH, but I have read and learned a lot from others here. I am 62. Looking forward to hearing from others who will be joining us. We can't wait to have the freedom that comes with retirement!
Interesting background and now you can plan for your 3rd career without having to think like a lawyer :wink: = Retired WMOS {with my own schedule} \\\/// {happy dance}.

Of course, with freedom comes obligations. What does your wife have on her "Honey - now that you're retired - To Do List"? :P
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

I don't have a firm date, and there is some possibility I'll get downsized into the 2020 class. For now let me use my 30th work anniversary date. 9/20/2021.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
reddison

Post by reddison »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:22 pm
reddison wrote: Hi Miriam - Thanks for getting this started! I guess no one wants to be first so I will volunteer to jump in. My wife plans to retire in Jan 2021 on her 62nd birthday. I will be joining her on May 1, 2021 (sticking around longer in order to extend COBRA benefits to 36 months for her). It's still pretty far off but the days and months are slowly going by.
Hi reddison! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! You're first on the class roster for 2021! That's a big honor and 2021 will be here before you know it 8-) It can be here in the blink of an eye.
reddison wrote: I have had 2 distinct careers. 15 years in the international airline business with several expat experiences, and 24 years as a corporate attorney. I haven't posted a lot on BH, but I have read and learned a lot from others here. I am 62. Looking forward to hearing from others who will be joining us. We can't wait to have the freedom that comes with retirement!
Interesting background and now you can plan for your 3rd career without having to think like a lawyer :wink: = Retired WMOS {with my own schedule} \\\/// {happy dance}.

Of course, with freedom comes obligations. What does your wife have on her "Honey - now that you're retired - To Do List"? :P
Hi Miriam And thanks for the welcome! Yes, I’m really looking forward to the retirement “career” - not being on the clock 24/7, reading and responding to emails and handling client issues nights, weekends and on vacation.

My wife and I are on the same page on what we have planned. We’ve always travelled a lot and plan to continue that, plus getting to see our grandkids and families more often. We do have 1 big project on the list - going thru everything in our attic space (which is huge) and probably getting rid of most of it.

Next year we’ll be heading to the Grand Canyon with others. It will be my wife’s third Rim to Rim hike and I’ll be doing Rim to Rim to Rim for the first time. We are not going to be lacking for things to do!
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community. The wiki, posts and tools helped us achieve financial peace, confidence and independence. We look forward to the new challenge of creating income streams in retirement. Well-considered and written investment and retirement plans are crucial. Bogleheads freed me from anxious and reactive financial decision-making. What a difference you have made in my life. Thank you.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Plan is to retire in Apr 2021 @ age 55. But I might go one more year depending on what happens between now and then. This is my second "retirement" having retired from the military in 2008 after 20 years. Plan is to stay very involved in family and pet as many dogs as possible.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barcelonasteve wrote: April 2, 2021, will be my first day in retirement. I’ll be 54. DW, who is currently working post-retirement until I’m done, will be 56. We’ll be on COBRA for some months while we sell our home and rid ourselves of most of our belongings, then move to France where we can obtain health coverage for about 300 euros a month (public plus supplemental). There are two likely sources of difficulty with the plan: COVID-19 and two aging dogs. Plan B is to retire and sit tight for a while. We can get ok health coverage through our retirement system if need be.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, Barcelonasteve! And sounds like you have nice plans - flexible, too, whew :P

Now - about this "sell our home and rid ourselves of most of our belongings" - inquiring minds would be most interested in how you plan to do this, after working for some 30 years and accumulating all of life's treasures :mrgreen:
Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 pm
Barcelonasteve wrote: April 2, 2021, will be my first day in retirement. I’ll be 54. DW, who is currently working post-retirement until I’m done, will be 56. We’ll be on COBRA for some months while we sell our home and rid ourselves of most of our belongings, then move to France where we can obtain health coverage for about 300 euros a month (public plus supplemental). There are two likely sources of difficulty with the plan: COVID-19 and two aging dogs. Plan B is to retire and sit tight for a while. We can get ok health coverage through our retirement system if need be.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, Barcelonasteve! And sounds like you have nice plans - flexible, too, whew :P

Now - about this "sell our home and rid ourselves of most of our belongings" - inquiring minds would be most interested in how you plan to do this, after working for some 30 years and accumulating all of life's treasures :mrgreen:
Hi, Miriam:

“Plan” is too strong a word right now. We don’t have many treasures to sell, just “stuff.” (I just read the average U.S. household has 300,000 things.) I was thinking of a combination of selling some stuff, mostly my pretty extensive tool collection, a bit at a time through craigslist, donation to charity for sale at thrift stores, and maybe a yard sale. My wife suggested estate sellers, but the most valuable and easiest to sell items are my tools and I can sell those a lot more efficiently myself.

A few years ago, I read an article about downsizing Boomers finding that there was no market for the pricey belongings they had accumulated. I’m glad we didn’t plow lots of money into furniture, now. The dogs would have destroyed it, anyway. Craigslist has killed the resale price of things that just have functional value, so I’m looking at it as us having received value from using what we bought and expect little or nothing beyond that.

It will feel really good, I think, to just let go. A few years ago, a friend of mine shipped a dining table he inherited from his parents from Germany to the U.S. They had bought it in England when they lived there, shipped it to the U.S. when they lived here, then shipped it to Germany when they retired there. My friend now lives in Scotland. I don’t know where the table is.
bluesky50

Post by bluesky50 »

I would like to join this Retirement Class of 2021.

I plan to retire in April next year. I will be 55. My husband is already retired. He is patiently waiting for me to join him.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reddison wrote: My wife and I are on the same page on what we have planned. We’ve always travelled a lot and plan to continue that, plus getting to see our grandkids and families more often. We do have 1 big project on the list - going thru everything in our attic space (which is huge) and probably getting rid of most of it.
Yikes! Don't get rid of anything (I'm a you-never-know pack rat :mrgreen: ) until you check what treasures you have!

This fellow recently found, in his mother's attic, the only tape in existence of the first Super Bowl played in 1967 -
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 3773290508 - "Found at Last - A Tape of the First Super Bowl"

And another fellow found hundreds of Clarence Darrow's private letters in the basement of Darrow's granddaughter in a box marked "Christmas ornaments;" the letters pointed to Darrow's jury tampering. (note - a basement is an upside-down attic :wink: )
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... er-109085/
reddison wrote:Next year we’ll be heading to the Grand Canyon with others. It will be my wife’s third Rim to Rim hike and I’ll be doing Rim to Rim to Rim for the first time. We are not going to be lacking for things to do!
Wow - that's some serious hiking! We wish you all the best in your great adventure :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barcelonasteve wrote: . . . We don’t have many treasures to sell, just “stuff.” (I just read the average U.S. household has 300,000 things.)
Please see above post to fellow Boglehead reddison about watching out for buried treasure in your "stuff" :D
Barcelonasteve wrote:A few years ago, I read an article about downsizing Boomers finding that there was no market for the pricey belongings they had accumulated. I’m glad we didn’t plow lots of money into furniture, now. The dogs would have destroyed it, anyway. Craigslist has killed the resale price of things that just have functional value, so I’m looking at it as us having received value from using what we bought and expect little or nothing beyond that. . . . It will feel really good, I think, to just let go.
Agree! I know a Boglehead who gave her fine china from her wedding to the Goodwill - couldn't sell it and couldn't even find anyone who wanted it (she forgot to ask me :mrgreen: ) But good thing - because you're right, it feels really good to just let go of the past stuff and move on into our next wonderful life.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bliksem55 wrote: Well, after about 35 years in the IT, food manufacturing and mining industries I have decided to jump off the track and leave the rat race. Having experienced a Product RECALL, and debilitating CYBER ATTACK and now dealing with life at work in the COVID era I think I have done my time. I always said if I get 3 strikes I am out and COVID was it. My DW and I [both 59] plan to travel all over the US and on the occasional international adventure. I plan to put in my notice in June and be out of here by Jan 2, 2021. :sharebeer
Hi bliksem55! Three strikes and you're O-U-T!!! of the Rat Race! What a glorious feeling! :D

After 35 years it's time. After 35 years including serious product recall stress, cyber attack stress, covid-19 stress - it's truly time to pick up that 401k and pack out. Please keep us posted on your plans and stay healthy and wealthy and wise :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: I don't have a firm date, and there is some possibility I'll get downsized into the 2020 class. For now let me use my 30th work anniversary date. 9/20/2021.
Perfect, thanks for the update - and if you get downsized, let us know and we'll boot you over to the 2020 Class :D

It's ok to be downsized as long as your retirement is enjoyable and your finances are asset allocation-sized :moneybag
KESP

Post by KESP »

Plan on retiring after next school year, July 1, 2021. I will be 64 years old. This is my second career, and I will have 20 years by then. Of course they had an early retirement incentive this year, which I didn't qualify for because I didn't have the 20 years in yet. My husband will be retired for 7 years already by then, and I am anxious to join him. :beer
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

My plan is to retire at the end of my birthday month, October, in 2021 at the age of 60. However, if my company is having a solid year, then I may delay that till March, 2022 to collect the yearly bonus.

I have been in the IT industry (at the same manufacturing company) for nearly 36 years. My work has changed recently where I am doing way more traveling now than before. I wouldn't mind except I also like to teach math at the local university as an adjunct professor but have not been able to for the past 2 years due to the travel. Once retired, I may teach a couple of classes. More because I love the interaction with the students and less about needing the money.

I was widowed 4 years ago so plans will be to travel the United States, bringing my kids and families when they can get away.

Finally, I hope to post my portfolio and pension information in 2021 with the express purpose of getting help deciding on the lump sum or annuity.

Love this site by the way.
reddison

Post by reddison »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:27 pm
Yikes! Don't get rid of anything (I'm a you-never-know pack rat :mrgreen: ) until you check what treasures you have!
reddison wrote:Next year we’ll be heading to the Grand Canyon with others. It will be my wife’s third Rim to Rim hike and I’ll be doing Rim to Rim to Rim for the first time. We are not going to be lacking for things to do!
Wow - that's some serious hiking! We wish you all the best in your great adventure :happy
@ Miriam - I am the pack rat in our house. In our attic, I know I have boxes of MBA books from the 1980s. They'll be getting tossed. I have some boxes of Spanish language books and alpaca bags, sweaters, blankets from Peru that I will be keeping. I also have some boxes of albums. Since turntables are back I might be able to keep them too. The rest is probably headed to the dumpster.

We are avid distance runners so it makes the Grand Canyon hikes doable. We just have to train on all the hills we can find around here. It's impossible to replicate the altitude though so it's still quite the challenge.

@Barcelonasteve - I'm just curious as to your connection to Barcelona. We've been there a couple of times and really like the city, the people and the food.

Congrats to all in the 2021 Class!
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Best guess at the moment is that I'll retire end of July 2021 at age 64.

Its going to be a very, very big change. I'm really looking forward to it!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Swee'pea wrote: I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community. The wiki, posts and tools helped us achieve financial peace, confidence and independence. We look forward to the new challenge of creating income streams in retirement. Well-considered and written investment and retirement plans are crucial. Bogleheads freed me from anxious and reactive financial decision-making. What a difference you have made in my life. Thank you.
Hi Swee'pea! What a nice thank you for our forum :happy

We'll include you on this Most Wonderful Retirement Roll Call. You have less than a year to get those new income streams in line for retirement - how are you gonna do it?

Nice way of putting it - "Bogleheads freed me from anxious and reactive financial decision-making." I understand fully. It's certainly empowering to learn enough about personal finance to feel confident in one's decisions, and to know enough not to act on reaction.

We look forward to hearing your retirement plans 8-)
beyou

Post by beyou »

After 3 straight positions were subject to relocation/merger (one or both) and now office life in the covid era, I am at the moment planning to turn down relo and instead take a severance pkg in 2021. Originally thought about relo or finding new work in my home town, but covid made me think that I’ll keep working only as long as I am able to WFH, else it’s time to FIRE my employer ;-)

DW still loves her job, and relo would have meant losing her job and possibly career. That and a young adult child who is ill and failed to launch, make me prefer to keep making $ and get corporate healthcare (ACA options are terrible in our area but cobra will carry us through 2022 most likely). But I am sick of corporate life, commuting and prefer to focus on our health. Not the retirement people dream of (extensive travel or relo to sunny place) but I am ok without that. Happy where I live though HCOL, and easily keep busy, looking fwd to being less busy.

This group in BH has helped me prepare mentally for retirement. I work in the investment industry (IT but in my role learned a great deal about finance), so BH is one of the sources of influence to help me prepare financially. But a portfolio is not the only component to retirement readiness, and glad I found BH to help me think that retiring early was an option to seriously consider.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

corn18 wrote: Plan is to retire in Apr 2021 @ age 55. But I might go one more year depending on what happens between now and then. This is my second "retirement" having retired from the military in 2008 after 20 years. Plan is to stay very involved in family and pet as many dogs as possible.
Hi Corn18 - we're happy to have an experienced retiree in our class! You'll have to let us know how to structure our time when we are off the schedule.

Love your plans to stay very involved with family (remember, they are especially helpful to bring pot luck dishes on Thanksgiving :mrgreen: ) and to pet as many dogs as possible - although we noted you did not express the plan of having as many dogs as possible :wink:

We wish you a successful run-up to your next retirement and a long and happy and well-deserved work-free time come next April :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bluesky50 wrote: I would like to join this Retirement Class of 2021.

I plan to retire in April next year. I will be 55. My husband is already retired. He is patiently waiting for me to join him.
Aahh, the patient husband 8-) And what retirement plans does The Patient Husband have for you two when next April rolls around and you both find yourselves happily unemployed?

Happy to have you join our 2021 Retirement Class! It's going to be great :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reddison wrote: I am the pack rat in our house. In our attic, I know I have boxes of MBA books from the 1980s. They'll be getting tossed.
Why toss?? Math is always the same. 2+2 is always 4. Maybe you can use them :wink:

I have some boxes of Spanish language books and alpaca bags, sweaters, blankets from Peru that I will be keeping.
Alpaca bags and sweaters? W-e-l-l reddison - when was the last time you wore your alpaca sweater and carried that alpaca bag :wink:

I also have some boxes of albums. Since turntables are back I might be able to keep them too.
Well, I did get rid of albums, but I still have many cassettes, 8-track videos (including Disney movies with the vaunted black diamond indicating original cut), and CD's and DVD's. My kids told me to get rid of them all, that I could purchase them on-line if I ever wanted to. I checked on-line - many are simply out-of-date and unavailable. It's an on-going battle with my kids and with my conscience - my desire to declutter and inability to let go of past :(

The rest is probably headed to the dumpster.
Good idea, I agree - or at least to the Goodwill.

We are avid distance runners so it makes the Grand Canyon hikes doable. We just have to train on all the hills we can find around here. It's impossible to replicate the altitude though so it's still quite the challenge.

We wish you happy training and good luck in your adventure. 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

KESP wrote: Plan on retiring after next school year, July 1, 2021. I will be 64 years old. This is my second career, and I will have 20 years by then. Of course they had an early retirement incentive this year, which I didn't qualify for because I didn't have the 20 years in yet. My husband will be retired for 7 years already by then, and I am anxious to join him. :beer
Great KESP! Another second career retiree - and before you know it you'll be starting out in your third career with your Very Patient Husband :D The time will fly by (it's a scientific fact that the older we get, the shorter the years are :wink: ) Just put this lovely bumper strip on your car to remind you how sweet it will be!

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GlennK wrote: My plan is to retire at the end of my birthday month, October, in 2021 at the age of 60. However, if my company is having a solid year, then I may delay that till March, 2022 to collect the yearly bonus.
We'll pencil you in for October 2021 and if your plans change, just let us know and we'll re-boot you 8-)
GlennK wrote:I have been in the IT industry (at the same manufacturing company) for nearly 36 years. My work has changed recently where I am doing way more traveling now than before. I wouldn't mind except I also like to teach math at the local university as an adjunct professor but have not been able to for the past 2 years due to the travel. Once retired, I may teach a couple of classes. More because I love the interaction with the students and less about needing the money.

I was widowed 4 years ago so plans will be to travel the United States, bringing my kids and families when they can get away.
We are very sorry for your loss. Your travel plans with family will undoubtedly be quite meaningful. You certainly had a long career life and it will be a nice relief to wind down into a long retirement teaching math and traveling with the family. We wish you all the best :happy
GlennK wrote:Finally, I hope to post my portfolio and pension information in 2021 with the express purpose of getting help deciding on the lump sum or annuity.
Certainly a very important issue worth researching and thinking carefully about.
GlennK wrote:Love this site by the way.

Yes - we all love this site - and we can all thank Taylor Larimore :D who had this crazy vision in 1998 that he could put together an internet chat website where regular people like all of us from around the country could come together and intelligently discuss investing inspired by Jack Bogle, and where we could ask Qs and provide solid investing advice and tell personal investing experiences to help each other 8-)

Fortunately, Taylor - now 96 years young 8-) - has seen how successful his vision has turned out and how useful his simple Three Fund Portfolio has been to so many of us.

Taylor with the Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio managers :D

Left to Right: Total Bond Manager, Josh Barrickman; Total Stock Manager, Gerry O'Reilly; Taylor Larimore; Total International Manager, Mike Perre.
Taken 10/2013, at Bogleheads Conference 12.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: After 3 straight positions were subject to relocation/merger (one or both) and now office life in the covid era, I am at the moment planning to turn down relo and instead take a severance pkg in 2021. Originally thought about relo or finding new work in my home town, but covid made me think that I’ll keep working only as long as I am able to WFH, else it’s time to FIRE my employer ;-)
Sounds like a good plan, making the best of what life tosses around :happy You're planning for a substantial retirement and you'll be quite overjoyed when you punch out and walk out from stress and toil. We're happy you're joining this Wonderful 2021 Retirement Class!

beyou wrote:DW still loves her job, and relo would have meant losing her job and possibly career. That and a young adult child who is ill and failed to launch, make me prefer to keep making $ and get corporate healthcare (ACA options are terrible in our area but cobra will carry us through 2022 most likely). But I am sick of corporate life, commuting and prefer to focus on our health. Not the retirement people dream of (extensive travel or relo to sunny place) but I am ok without that. Happy where I live though HCOL, and easily keep busy, looking fwd to being less busy.
This seals it - "DW still loves her job, and relo would have meant losing her job and possibly career," plus child who needs care, plus good health benefits. Good physical and emotional family health permeates the home. Far more important than moving to a sunny place. Peace in the home is the sunny place.

Plus the sunny place is not all it's cracked up to be 8-) Sunny South Florida has been 86 degrees, feels like 96 degrees, 76% humidity, rain here and there and everywhere, a hot humid sticky icky muggy buggy sweltering blanket of steam enveloping all who venture outdoors -

Here's a sunny description from local expert, Dave Barry :
"I live in South Florida, which has a hot, moist, armpit-like climate that is very favorable for life in general. Everything down here is either already alive, or about to be. You could leave your toaster out on your lawn overnight, and by morning it would have developed legs, a tail, a mouth, tentacles, etc., and it would be prowling around looking for slower, weaker appliances to prey on.

So I am used to wildlife. I am used to the fact that, as I walk from my car to the front door - striding briskly to prevent fungus from growing on my body - I will routinely pass lizards, snakes, spiders, snails and mutant prehistoric grasshoppers large enough for the Lone Ranger to saddle up and ride into the sunset on ("Hi-ho, Silver, Awayyyeeeiikes!")"
Something to think about :wink:

beyou wrote:This group in BH has helped me prepare mentally for retirement. I work in the investment industry (IT but in my role learned a great deal about finance), so BH is one of the sources of influence to help me prepare financially. But a portfolio is not the only component to retirement readiness, and glad I found BH to help me think that retiring early was an option to seriously consider.

Isn't this the truth :D See above post ^^^ for thanks to Taylor Larimore for having the strength and determination 22 years ago to actualize his dream of an internet personal finance discussion group inspired by the investing advice of Jack Bogle.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Yes, I have some family that did move
to Florida, and have experienced the pleasure of a futile attempt to get fresh air only to run indoors to the A/C. I prefer a good winter snowstorm over Jun-Sep in south Florida, if I had to choose :-). That said, people love to pay less taxes....
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

My plan is to retire at age 60 in October 2021. FERS retiree and, after Covid, I don't think I want to go any longer (I have a 1.25 hour commute using public transportation). I'm fine taking a slightly reduced pension to get two more years of retirement. Life is way too short.
beyou

Post by beyou »

MDfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am My plan is to retire at age 60 in October 2021. FERS retiree and, after Covid, I don't think I want to go any longer (I have a 1.25 hour commute using public transportation). I'm fine taking a slightly reduced pension to get two more years of retirement. Life is way too short.
Yeah, COVID sealed the deal for me too. Got used to NOT commuting and don't want to go back to the city both due to the virus transmission and the newly found life I have with the extra 3 hrs/day I got back since WFH started.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

beyou wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:48 am
MDfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:14 am My plan is to retire at age 60 in October 2021. FERS retiree and, after Covid, I don't think I want to go any longer (I have a 1.25 hour commute using public transportation). I'm fine taking a slightly reduced pension to get two more years of retirement. Life is way too short.
Yeah, COVID sealed the deal for me too. Got used to NOT commuting and don't want to go back to the city both due to the virus transmission and the newly found life I have with the extra 3 hrs/day I got back since WFH started.
Me too. I've been at home since mid-March and can't imagine ever going back. I'm just dreading that email telling us to come back even though I can do 100% of my job at home and have been way more productive.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MDfan wrote: My plan is to retire at age 60 in October 2021. FERS retiree and, after Covid, I don't think I want to go any longer (I have a 1.25 hour commute using public transportation). I'm fine taking a slightly reduced pension to get two more years of retirement. Life is way too short.
Makes perfect sense to me. Welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Class, a perfect time to punch out 8-)

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust our sails."
--- quote attributed to numerous authors

We hope your glide path into retirement is successful and stress-less. Please keep us posted on your progress :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

The Outsider wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:47 pm Best guess at the moment is that I'll retire end of July 2021 at age 64.

Its going to be a very, very big change. I'm really looking forward to it!
Great attitude, Outsider! And we're looking forward to hearing what you'll be doing in your Very, Very Big Change :D

So you're on the books for July 2021. Keep us posted and let us know any changes or dates.

Enjoy this next year of Countdown to Retirement :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Congratulations to everyone retiring in 2021! Here is our first Roll Call :happy

02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)

01 May - reddison (62)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

11 Jun - trueson1 (65)

01 Jul - KESP (64)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)

20 Sep - goblue100

__ Oct - GlennK (60)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)

__ ___ - beyou

Let me know if I missed anyone :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

At the age of 65, retiring on June 11, 2021 after a very rewarding career in the animal health pharmaceutical industry, providing much needed solutions to keep our four-footed friends healthy and happy.

Plan to move back to the south from the northern mid-west to be near family and away from the cold winters. Plan to stay active with several hobbies and ministry opportunities, as well as monitoring investments, when not fishing, boating, traveling and giving back to my community for the many blessings bestowed on me and my beautiful wife of 43 years.

Cheers everyone and many thanks to this community who have inspired me and helped me navigate the sometimes tricky waters of self-investing. But I am confident that I can do this now. To the present and the future my friends!!! - :sharebeer
Last edited by trueson1 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

trueson1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am At the age of 65, retiring on June 11, 2021 after a very rewarding career in the animal health pharmaceutical industry, providing much needed solutions to keep our four-footed friends healthy and happy.
Many months (11 months) from now! Is it your (secret) plan or did you make an official arrangement of your exit?
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

I am in the very fortunate position of being able to choose my retirement date (at least at this point unless things really go sideways, which could always happen), choose my successor and provide mentoring and training for my successor to ensure successful transition of skills and responsibilities. We will see how it plays out in reality.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trueson1 wrote: At the age of 65, retiring on June 11, 2021 after a very rewarding career in the animal health pharmaceutical industry, providing much needed solutions to keep our four-footed friends healthy and happy.
Welcome to this Wild & Woolly Retirement Class, trueson1 ==>> You're on the countdown to a wonderful adventure :D A very rewarding career and now a very rewarding retirement.
trueson1 wrote: I am in the very fortunate position of being able to choose my retirement date (at least at this point unless things really go sideways, which could always happen), choose my successor and provide mentoring and training for my successor to ensure successful transition of skills and responsibilities. We will see how it plays out in reality.
Nice! But no one can take your place 8-)
trueson1 wrote:Plan to move back to the south from the northern mid-west to be near family and away from the cold winters. Plan to stay active with several hobbies and ministry opportunities, as well as monitoring investments, when not fishing, boating, traveling and giving back to my community for the many blessings bestowed on me and my beautiful wife of 43 years.
Delightful and heart-warming plans - we wish you all the best. Please keep us posted on how everything goes.
trueson1 wrote:Cheers everyone and many thanks to this community who have inspired me and helped me navigate the sometimes tricky waters of self-investing. But I am confident that I can do this now. To the present and the future my friends!!! - :sharebeer
Couldn't agree more! :D
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Thanks everyone! Into the next phase as excited as when I first entered college, got married and had children. Chin up, into the wind, with a big grin!
reddison

Post by reddison »

Hey everyone. It's been a while since anyone has posted here so I thought I'd throw out some random thoughts.

It's been 2 months since Miriam started this thread, so we are all 2 months closer to retirement!

I don't know about you, but time is going far too slowly.

I'm sure for all of us, this has been and continues to be one of the strangest periods in our lifetimes.

I've read so many threads by Bogleheads about sequence of return risk. I had a sinking feeling about our misfortune of nearing retirement with what was going on with COVID and the falling market. But fortunately we had a substantial recovery as of now - but who knows what's coming next. How are you all handling this?
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I haven’t decided for sure, but I am leaning toward being in this class. Watching this thread and will confirm if I do join next year, at 61!

Strange times indeed. :shock:
beyou

Post by beyou »

reddison wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:51 pm Hey everyone. It's been a while since anyone has posted here so I thought I'd throw out some random thoughts.

It's been 2 months since Miriam started this thread, so we are all 2 months closer to retirement!

I don't know about you, but time is going far too slowly.

I'm sure for all of us, this has been and continues to be one of the strangest periods in our lifetimes.

I've read so many threads by Bogleheads about sequence of return risk. I had a sinking feeling about our misfortune of nearing retirement with what was going on with COVID and the falling market. But fortunately we had a substantial recovery as of now - but who knows what's coming next. How are you all handling this?
Well I have always been a bit on the conservative side.
Paid off debts early before investing, and later following age-in-bonds which many think is too conservative (easily said in hindsight).
Now that I am told my job will be relocated/eliminated (I don't want to relocate vs taking a severance package) part of what makes me
think I can be at peace with the retirement decision is avoidance of sequence of return risk. I think being a 9-18 month window away from retirement and having experienced 4 major market meltdowns in my career, if anything I am going even a bit more conservative.
I feel going forward a bit of market timing if you want to call it that, is going to influence my risk tolerance.
I can't even tolerate age-in-bonds right now, given both the economic situation in the US and my personal situation.
More complicated than retirement, have a failure to launch issue (illness) too for a kid, so supporting a kid while trying to retire.
So I am now re-balancing to have a bit more bonds than my age. But I think of this as an adjustment to risk tolerance not market timing.
I am hoping that some things will change in addition to the virus being treated. More personally I am hoping that 1) kid will get on the right track
and 2) as I get closer to SS/Medicare I will increase my risk tolerance for the portfolio with lower expenses depending on the portfolio.
Maybe a bit of market timing, since I have no doubt if there is a RBD, I will consider going back to age-in-bonds or even a bit more aggressive
depending on how close I am to Medicare/SS eligibility. Even if I don't TAKE SS, knowing I COULD take it would give me higher risk tolerance.
beyou

Post by beyou »

trueson1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 pm Thanks everyone! Into the next phase as excited as when I first entered college, got married and had children. Chin up, into the wind, with a big grin!
Wish I could say the same thing. My main goals are to focus on the health of myself and family, which while really important, not as exciting
as college and marriage.

That said, WFH has given me a small taste of how I can improve my health during retirement.
Much more exercise than when commuting to work before and my doc said it has already improved the annual blood tests
(went from unhealthy Cholesterol etc to healthy range). I feel better physically, mentally lots of stress due to still not being retired
(commute was not the worst part of my work stress), FTL child issue and general fear of finances that I am sure most pre-retirees feel.
But I am sure the stress will reduce at some point and I can focus on filling time with exciting new things, especially if my health is good.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CardinalRule wrote: I haven’t decided for sure, but I am leaning toward being in this class. Watching this thread and will confirm if I do join next year, at 61!

Strange times indeed. :shock:
Yes for sure, strange times indeed - just let us know when you make your decision and we'll include you in the Class of 2021 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trueson1 wrote: At the age of 65, retiring on June 11, 2021 after a very rewarding career in the animal health pharmaceutical industry, providing much needed solutions to keep our four-footed friends healthy and happy.
How about our two-footed friends, I mean the ones with wings 8-) do you know how hard it is to give a parrot penicillin 4 times a day for 3 weeks, and try to go about our regular life at the same time??
cdc

Post by cdc »

Please add me! Current plan is July 2021, age 60. DW will join me two years later.
:sharebeer
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I would like to submit my candidacy for the Retirement Class of 2021 :)

I considered an early retirement package for this summer, but decided to do one more year (OMY). Been a health care professional for 40 years and felt I wanted to just finish a few things and enjoy the upcoming year. I'll be Medicare eligible early next year so healthcare concerns a bit easier to manage into retirement. I'll check in from time to time to let you know my progress, probably formally retire either July or August 2021.

Any tips for my final year? Been a Boglehead for past several years to finances and investments are on target.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cdc wrote: Please add me! Current plan is July 2021, age 60. DW will join me two years later.
:sharebeer
Ok cdc, we added you to the 2021 Roll Call - welcome to this Outstanding Retirement Class!

You'll be punching out in about a year and time will really fly by. Before you know it, you'll be scrambling to get your out-the-door papers in order and celebrating the beginning of your new adventure :D Keep us posted on how you're doing and let us know when you punch out.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: I would like to submit my candidacy for the Retirement Class of 2021 :)
Your submission has been reviewed by the appropriate committee and your Candidacy for Admission to the Retirement Class of 2021 has been accepted with flying colors and great fanfare :sharebeer
radiowave wrote:I considered an early retirement package for this summer, but decided to do one more year (OMY). Been a health care professional for 40 years and felt I wanted to just finish a few things and enjoy the upcoming year. I'll be Medicare eligible early next year so healthcare concerns a bit easier to manage into retirement. I'll check in from time to time to let you know my progress, probably formally retire either July or August 2021.
Ok, sounds good to the committee, especially having your healthcare concerns managed. Keep the committee posted and let us know when you plan to PUNCH OUT :D
radiowave wrote:Any tips for my final year?
Don't lose your retirement money :mrgreen:
radiowave wrote:Been a Boglehead for past several years so finances and investments are on target.
Well that's certainly good your finances and investments are on target! Isn't it amazing what a single website - that took about 15 minutes to set up and lived for years in a small server the size of a briefcase - can do for the personal finances and investments for millions of individual investors, helping them to save their hard earned :moneybag and enjoy their retirement?

As Larry Auton (Boglehead mingstar), who is one of the site owners and administrators of this site - and who kept the Bogleheads server in his spare bedroom - has said: "Bogleheads.org is simply a website, just a simple website. What makes it unique and wonderful are all the many Bogleheads who make it the fabulous investing website that it is, helping individual investors learn and manage their portfolios with the investing philosophy of Jack Bogle."