Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

walkindude wrote: I'm signing up!
Although I will continue to take small consulting jobs (I've been an electrical engineering consultant for over 20 years) if they're very fun and isolated, I consider myself done as of 3/23/21.
Congratulations walkindude! and welcome to this Great Retirement Roll Call! You're added to this incredible list :D
walkindude wrote:I will exercise (run, bike, hike, kayak, golf, stretch, and lift to name a few) and travel (kids, then domestically for a while, but hopefully internationally again in 2022 and beyond).

Thanks to the many members here who woke me up to the RMD tax bomb at 70/72 (I'll be 63 in July), IRMAA, Roth conversions and many other tax issues that made it much easier to pull the plug now.

This site is invaluable - Donate now!
Great plans! That's a lot of exercise, your classmates are very impressed :happy And for sure, this is a most incredible site for personal finance help. Donations are important!

We hope you have a long, happy and healthy retirement, enjoying all your wonderful plans and travel, with no RMD tax bomb worries :beer
mchop

Post by mchop »

March 16th! I took a sabbatical last summer and kept dragging it out. When I was asked to take on a new project in early March, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and struggled to breathe. That was my sign. I was an IT consultant for 25 yrs.

My wife works 32 hrs a week for the state and provides health insurance. I started working 2 days a week at a local bike shop as a mechanic and life is great. I have honestly never been so busy and fulfilled as I am now. I am also volunteering at two non profits (related to my bicycle passion).

I am 50. Thankfully discovered this forum in 2008 when I became a US citizen and moved all my funds to the US. Vanguard 60/40 since that date.

Regards
walkindude

Post by walkindude »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:48 pm
walkindude wrote: I'm signing up!
Although I will continue to take small consulting jobs (I've been an electrical engineering consultant for over 20 years) if they're very fun and isolated, I consider myself done as of 3/23/21.
Congratulations walkindude! and welcome to this Great Retirement Roll Call! You're added to this incredible list :D
walkindude wrote:I will exercise (run, bike, hike, kayak, golf, stretch, and lift to name a few) and travel (kids, then domestically for a while, but hopefully internationally again in 2022 and beyond).

Thanks to the many members here who woke me up to the RMD tax bomb at 70/72 (I'll be 63 in July), IRMAA, Roth conversions and many other tax issues that made it much easier to pull the plug now.

This site is invaluable - Donate now!
Great plans! That's a lot of exercise, your classmates are very impressed :happy And for sure, this is a most incredible site for personal finance help. Donations are important!

We hope you have a long, happy and healthy retirement, enjoying all your wonderful plans and travel, with no RMD tax bomb worries :beer
Thanks, I'll do my best to nip them in the bud!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

journey wrote: Long-time lurker here. The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, journey! And a warm welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 :happy
journey wrote: The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021. It was fun to resign at the same time so we could begin our new chapter together. We were FIRE people from our first paychecks, well before we heard the term 'FIRE.' That allowed us to walk away from high-stress megacorp jobs (different companies, both in IT) and we are now happier, healthier, and busier than ever, savoring every moment of retirement with zero regret.
What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your journey to retirement :D What are your plans for this new chapter of your lives and what's keeping you so busy?
journey wrote:Thank you, BH community, for being a tremendous source of information and inspiration!
:sharebeer
Great way to put it - "a tremendous source of information and inspiration." There is nothing comparable 8-)

Did you know - the Bogleheads community was created (as the Vanguard Diehards) in 1998 by Taylor Larimore - he saw what the internet could do and thought individual investors from around the country could meet on the internet and discuss the investing philosophy of Jack Bogle and help each other with their investing questions. His vision has been a remarkable success.
journey

Post by journey »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:58 am
journey wrote: Long-time lurker here. The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021.
Welcome to the Bogleheads, journey! And a warm welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 :happy
Thank you for your kind welcome, Miriam2!

Health issues through my 20s resulted in not finishing my BSc until age 31. Started work on my 31st birthday for $10/hour, then worked through grad school at night. Countless blessings and supporters along the way made my story possible. Our intense awareness of the brevity and fragility of life led us to retire early.
journey wrote: The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021. It was fun to resign at the same time so we could begin our new chapter together. We were FIRE people from our first paychecks, well before we heard the term 'FIRE.' That allowed us to walk away from high-stress megacorp jobs (different companies, both in IT) and we are now happier, healthier, and busier than ever, savoring every moment of retirement with zero regret.
What a neat story! Thank you for sharing your journey to retirement :D What are your plans for this new chapter of your lives and what's keeping you so busy?
As recommended, we prepared a list of activities TO which we would ‘retire’ (30+ items!). From that list, so far, we are exercising 2x/day, gardening daily, cooking new recipes, working on home projects, volunteering, and researching our genealogy. And like so many, we are anxious to resume our favorite activity: immersion travel.
journey wrote: Thank you, BH community, for being a tremendous source of information and inspiration!
Great way to put it - "a tremendous source of information and inspiration." There is nothing comparable 8-)

Did you know - the Bogleheads community was created (as the Vanguard Diehards) in 1998 by Taylor Larimore - he saw what the internet could do and thought individual investors from around the country could meet on the internet and discuss the investing philosophy of Jack Bogle and help each other with their investing questions. His vision has been a remarkable success.
I didn’t know that so thank you, and thank you to Taylor Larimore! This forum keeps us happily humble. :D
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Miriam2 wrote:

Miriam2:

Correction: The Diehards community was not created by me alone. There were several other Diehards involved including Mel Lindauer. I cannot remember the other names but I assure you I have not forgotten their contribution.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Successful investing doesn’t require sophistication and complexity; all that’s necessary is a healthy dose of common sense.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

Swee'pea wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 pm I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community.
This is it, my first day of freedom from job stresses. It feels so good! :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Swee'pea wrote: I am glad for the opportunity to anchor my retirement plan to a date - May 31, 2021 (age 62). This is possible because of information provided by the generous Boglehead community.
//
//
This is it, my first day of freedom from job stresses. It feels so good! :beer
Way to go, Swee'pea! You made it to the end of the work tunnel :D You're gonna love the days without the load of job stress. Now you can spend all your days reading the Bogleheads forum! We wish you many good years of retirement relaxing and enjoying the freedom to explore what you want 8-)
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

So I'm official, last day was Friday 5/28. I'm not sure how I feel, mostly surreal now that I'm retired. I'll check back from time to time to report my progress. Many, many thanks to all the BH members for their wisdom and guidance.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: So I'm official, last day was Friday 5/28. I'm not sure how I feel, mostly surreal now that I'm retired. I'll check back from time to time to report my progress. Many, many thanks to all the BH members for their wisdom and guidance.
We're very happy for you, radiowave! Good you finally made the big decision - you appear to have had an interesting career with great memories - but now onward to greater and very enjoyable things! Please check back in more often than "from time to time" :D

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful retirement full of health and happiness, family and friends, lots of new adventures and plenty of time to do nothing but simply enjoy your new life :beer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Age 53 with a modest portfolio by BH standards with no pension so I'm not sure if my retirement would be BH approved but I'm running with it. :D
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Candor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Age 53 with a modest portfolio by BH standards with no pension so I'm not sure if my retirement would be BH approved but I'm running with it. :D
Congrats, are you doing a full retirement with no intention to ever earn a paycheck again or keeping your options open?
Candor

Post by Candor »

stan1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 am
Candor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

Congrats, are you doing a full retirement with no intention to ever earn a paycheck again or keeping your options open?
Thanks Stan. No, I have no intention to return to work. I decided to retire earlier than I had planned due to some work dynamics so I'm not as well positioned as I was hoping for but I will make it work come what may. The pandemic made me realize how frugal I could live if needed and my budget is a long way from that so I will be good.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Roll Call- BH Speaker Series- Ron Lieber on College Finance- 6/5/21- 1:00pm ET

Post by Miriam2 »

For all retirees or upcoming retirees who are still in the "College Years" :mrgreen: perhaps with kids or grandkids, Ron Lieber will be speaking tomorrow in a Bogle Center Speaker Series interview by Rick Ferri.

This Bogleheads Speaker Series presentation will be very interesting for anyone college bound or in-college-debt, etc.

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1:00 pm ET - Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on "The Price You Pay for College"

Click HERE to register for the presentation.
Bogle Center wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy is pleased to present the next event in the Bogleheads Speaker Series!

Saturday, June 5, 2021, 1 p.m. eastern time: Bogleheads Speaker Series: Ron Lieber speaking with Rick Ferri on preparing for college

New York Times financial columnist and author Ron Lieber’s new book, The Price You Pay for College, provides a roadmap to help families navigate the often difficult and confusing journey of preparing for college. In this discussion with Rick Ferri, Ron will touch on the most important college-planning topics, from choosing the right school to figuring out the right ways to save, borrow, and bargain for a better deal.

Please note that the first and last name entered during registration will be displayed for those who participate in the live chat during the event. Feel free to use an alias if you aren’t comfortable with having your name displayed in the chat.

The Bogleheads Speaker Series is provided free of charge. Please consider a tax-deductible contribution to the Bogle Center to help offset our costs and continue with this and other educational programs. The event will be recorded and posted to the Bogle Center’s website.

The Bogle Center Board
www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=349944
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mchop wrote: March 16th! I took a sabbatical last summer and kept dragging it out. When I was asked to take on a new project in early March, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and struggled to breathe. That was my sign. I was an IT consultant for 25 yrs.
Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call, Mchop! we're happy you caught your breath and enjoy having you join the class! Plus we all need an IT expert and you're gonna be the first classmate we're gonna call :D (I know, "Is your computer plugged in? Is your computer turned on?" . . .)
My wife works 32 hrs a week for the state and provides health insurance. I started working 2 days a week at a local bike shop as a mechanic and life is great. I have honestly never been so busy and fulfilled as I am now. I am also volunteering at two non profits (related to my bicycle passion).
Now that's a neat retirement activity 8-) And what's most important is that you feel fulfilled. We hope your passion and feeling of fulfillment continues and keeps rolling along :mrgreen:
I am 50. Thankfully discovered this forum in 2008 when I became a US citizen and moved all my funds to the US. Vanguard 60/40 since that date.
Thank you for sharing your story. We wish you a fabulous retirement :happy
Fiddle-Bow

Post by Fiddle-Bow »

It’s official that my retirement date will be June 15 and I’m 60 years old. I’ve been at the same place for almost 38 years. I was fortunate to get a test run last Summer with a 3 month furlough and loved it. I couldn’t believe how good it felt to wake up everyday to do as I please.
After the furlough I went back to work at the mega-Corp and hoped for an early retirement package. Found out in May there wasn’t going to be a retirement package offer this year so, I announced my retirement anyway.
My plans are to enjoy more time fly fishing. I also play fiddle and spend time biking, hiking and canoeing.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are delighted to announce that the Highly Respected Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=350913
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I’m crashing the roll call party! July 1, 2021 is my official retirement date. We bought our first house last October. I’m learning how to do things like mowing the lawn, backing into a garage, and buying stuff. So much more space than an alley studio! Wow doing anything it’s like going on a hike! OK good night, the days are flashing by and I need to blink!
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

I need to modify my retirement date. My mega corp lost the federal contract I'm employed by, so I've been laid off effective June 28th. Luckily, I've been preparing, so I put my house on the market Sunday and have already received my first offer. I expect to be relocating in August to some place without snow and the crazy high property taxes in new Jersey. Lots of stress for the long distance move, but I'm very excited!
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

It is real. Three months into 53 years of life, I'm retired. My parents who are in their mid 80s were thrilled when it became a fact. They couldn't belive they are still alive when their kid is retired😇.
Last Friday was my last day after a serial of knowledge transferring meetings on Zoom. I went back to office two weeks ago to pick up personal items since left office last March. Hey, I don't miss a bit! 🤭 I will return my laptop by mailing it back. Cleaning of my laptop and remote desktop was quite easy because I planned for early retirement for some time. I'm so happy. It's hard not to smile 😄 Cheers! To health and wealth. 🥂
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Candor wrote: Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

//
I have no intention to return to work. I decided to retire earlier than I had planned due to some work dynamics so I'm not as well positioned as I was hoping for but I will make it work come what may. The pandemic made me realize how frugal I could live if needed and my budget is a long way from that so I will be good.
Hi Candor! Nice post, nice plans - and welcome to the 2021 Retirement Class! 8-)

28 years with the same company - must be mixed feelings about leaving for your new retirement life. But you're going to enjoy not having to deal with work dynamics and instead, being able to do what you want each day without the clamor of deadlines and such :happy And it would seem that yes, your retirement would be BH approved if it works for you!

We wish you all the best in your new adventure and hope you have many long years of good retirement ahead of you - please let us know what you're up to! :beer
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:29 pm Image

Here's the latest updated Roll Call for the Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2021 :D

Almost half-way through this year :shock: and we already have 33 Boglehead graduates !

Already Graduated!! - Our hearty congratulations to everyone who PUNCHED OUT!!
01 Jan - WanderingWheelz (age 49.5)
01 Jan - Silk McCue (61)
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)
05 Jan - Nash22 (60)
08 Jan - Shackleton (53)
08 Jan - Gardening Dog
19 Jan - journey (56)
31 Jan - Arabesque (69.5)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)
01 Feb - ClassOf2021 (63)
01 Feb - scguy613 (64)
12 Feb - Djwil296 (57.5)
11 Feb - Exchme (60)
15 Feb - datadatum (50)
17 Feb - Taz (57)
26 Feb - Fierce Escape (53)

23 Mar - walkindude (62)
31 Mar - Barefootgirl (60)
__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
02 Apr - kaesler
15 Apr - travelspot (53)
30 Apr - jello_nailer (64)
30 Apr - Bungo (52)
30 Apr - reddison (62)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)
__ Apr - Unhewnstone (55)

07 May - CompassRose (61)
07 May - bhughes1001 (64)
07 May - wesley888 (56)
14 May - GeraniumLover
14 May - cadreamer2015

Our upcoming graduates - getting excited about their upcoming NEW BEGINNING!!
28 May - radiowave
28 May - Sodapop (65)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

01 Jun - beernutz (62)
04 Jun - wandering_aimlessly (55)
11 Jun - trueson1 (65)
18 Jun - ClassOf21 (51)
20 Jun - slyfox (56)
30 Jun - retire2022
30 Jun - McDougal
__ Jun - KarenC

01 Jul - KESP (64)
06 Jul - Johnsson (59)
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)

01 Aug - fposte (58)

20 Sep - goblue100
__ Sep - shapeshifter (58)

01 Oct - Derpalator (61)
08 Oct - JediMisty (63)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)
__ Oct - Matt62

01 Nov - birdog (48)
01 Nov - tooluser (56)

31 Dec - DKD (62)
31 Dec - beyou
31 Dec - 2020content (55)

__ ___ - ClaycordJCA
__ ___ - formerlybroke (60)
__ ___ - JackFFR1846
__ ___ - Siaigi

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Remember to punch in here if you punch out this year!

Please move me up to June 28th!! Jedimisty
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JediMisty wrote: I need to modify my retirement date. My mega corp lost the federal contract I'm employed by, so I've been laid off effective June 28th.
//
Please move me up to June 28th!!
OK, will do! You're the most excited laid-off class mate we've ever had :D Retirement four months early is pretty good!
JediMisty wrote:Luckily, I've been preparing, so I put my house on the market Sunday and have already received my first offer.
LOL - :sharebeer
JediMisty wrote:I expect to be relocating in August to some place without snow and the crazy high property taxes in new Jersey. Lots of stress for the long distance move, but I'm very excited!
Welcome to Florida! 🌴 8-)

We are very impressed you can get your act together in just a few weeks for a long distance move :D Very exiting, don't be stressed, it's the beginning of a wonderful retirement and you'll have plenty of time to relax!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Candor wrote: Today is officially my last day after 28 years at the same company but I turned in my laptop and phone yesterday and I work form home so I'm not working today. My company car is scheduled to be picked up this afternoon and then it will really be final.

//
I have no intention to return to work. I decided to retire earlier than I had planned due to some work dynamics so I'm not as well positioned as I was hoping for but I will make it work come what may. The pandemic made me realize how frugal I could live if needed and my budget is a long way from that so I will be good.
Hi Candor! Nice post, nice plans - and welcome to the 2021 Retirement Class! 8-)

28 years with the same company - must be mixed feelings about leaving for your new retirement life. But you're going to enjoy not having to deal with work dynamics and instead, being able to do what you want each day without the clamor of deadlines and such :happy And it would seem that yes, your retirement would be BH approved if it works for you!

We wish you all the best in your new adventure and hope you have many long years of good retirement ahead of you - please let us know what you're up to! :beer
Thanks Miriam. I was surprised that I did have a little bit of mixed emotions with leaving the company but the mix was 95% positive. Not surprising I suppose since the job had been such a large part of my life for so long. I'm already sleeping much better and feeling thankful every day. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Fiddle-Bow wrote: It’s official that my retirement date will be June 15 and I’m 60 years old. I’ve been at the same place for almost 38 years. I was fortunate to get a test run last Summer with a 3 month furlough and loved it. I couldn’t believe how good it felt to wake up everyday to do as I please.
After the furlough I went back to work at the mega-Corp and hoped for an early retirement package. Found out in May there wasn’t going to be a retirement package offer this year so, I announced my retirement anyway.
My plans are to enjoy more time fly fishing. I also play fiddle and spend time biking, hiking and canoeing.
Whooppeee!! Today's the day! Congratulations Fiddle-Bow! Wow - 38 years at the same place, but time to move on. Good work and now good retirement. We enjoy your plans and hope you spend many wonderful times out in this great wide beautiful country enjoying what you do.

Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to this Class of 2021 :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tetractys wrote: I’m crashing the roll call party! July 1, 2021 is my official retirement date. We bought our first house last October. I’m learning how to do things like mowing the lawn, backing into a garage, and buying stuff. So much more space than an alley studio! Wow doing anything it’s like going on a hike! OK good night, the days are flashing by and I need to blink!
OK party crasher! Welcome to this exciting Retirement Roll Call :D

Wait a minute - you just bought your first house?!? You mean - all these years - you never cleaned out a garage or scrubbed mold off a patio or pruned bushes & trees or cleaned up after natural disasters or wrote very big checks for new roofs & air conditioners?? What a fun time you're gonna have in retirement - LOL! Here's a visual clue to what you're facing - it's called "The Joys of Home Ownership" :P

tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:17 pm
tetractys wrote: I’m crashing the roll call party! July 1, 2021 is my official retirement date. We bought our first house last October. I’m learning how to do things like mowing the lawn, backing into a garage, and buying stuff. So much more space than an alley studio! Wow doing anything it’s like going on a hike! OK good night, the days are flashing by and I need to blink!
OK party crasher! Welcome to this exciting Retirement Roll Call :D

Wait a minute - you just bought your first house?!? You mean - all these years - you never cleaned out a garage or scrubbed mold off a patio or pruned bushes & trees or cleaned up after natural disasters or wrote very big checks for new roofs & air conditioners?? What a fun time you're gonna have in retirement - LOL! Here's a visual clue to what you're facing - it's called "The Joys of Home Ownership" :P

HA HA Miriam2!

Yea you’ve hit it dead center! One might even call it Joyfully Payed for Enslavement! :P

Actually I’m functionally retired now. I had so much sick leave saved up and my short time attitude was playing out so much, that designated supervisor recommended I go on the sick (of work) list.

And you know the things we do for love… I never imagined I’d end up a 1/2 homeowner! My good friend was going to have to move to her sister’s house in the opposite corner of the country; so on the fly we pooled our resources and did something about it! Now we have our own home sweet home! :wink:
Fiddle-Bow

Post by Fiddle-Bow »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:48 pm
Fiddle-Bow wrote: It’s official that my retirement date will be June 15 and I’m 60 years old. I’ve been at the same place for almost 38 years. I was fortunate to get a test run last Summer with a 3 month furlough and loved it. I couldn’t believe how good it felt to wake up everyday to do as I please.
Whooppeee!! Today's the day! Congratulations Fiddle-Bow! Wow - 38 years at the same place, but time to move on. Good work and now good retirement. We enjoy your plans and hope you spend many wonderful times out in this great wide beautiful country enjoying what you do.

Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to this Class of 2021 :D
Thanks Miriam2. Yesterday I completed my ACA enrollment and transferred the business phone number to my personal account. It’s funny because all of these years I’ve never been on a personal cell plan. Since I knew that I would be retiring this year I upgraded my company cell phone at a low company discount and I get to keep it.
So the health insurance and cell phone are taken care. The next step is to roll my current Empower 401k over to Vanguard with my other 401k.
My first check from Vanguard is set to start in July. It’s just like going from my old job to self employed.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Class of 2021!- Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter meeting- 6/30/2021

Post by Miriam2 »

The new "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Virtual Chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is up and running 8-)

The opening meeting is on Wed June 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET hosted by the Dallas/Fort Worth Bogleheads.

This initial Zoom meeting will be a nice "get to know each other" discussion and open Q&A on how you are preparing for your upcoming retirement - or how you did prepare - or tried to prepare - and what worked and what didn't :mrgreen: All Bogleheads are welcome to share their experiences. For those who are still years away from retirement - there will be useful ideas to keep on your backburner as the R-time approaches!

The meeting will not be recorded.

Please RSVP for the meeting (and submit questions or suggested future topics or speakers) HERE. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events
Elena

Post by Elena »

Dear Miriam2,

I just FIREd five minutes ago! My 10-mo. contract ended in May, and was to be resumed in August as every year for the last twenty, but I decided it was overly complicated to keep going (I have been on "one more year" mode for ca. five or six, planning all aspects under my control).

Retirement date: June 25th, 2021.

Thank you for the online session!

Elena.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

I am officially signed up for the Class of 2021.
After nearly 30 years of service to my current employer, I will be officially retired September 1, 2021.
My last actual work day will be August 26, 2021. So 2 months to go. I Will be 2 months shy of 53 yo.
I will receive a pension (currently without cola's) that after taxes will match my current take home pay. :)
Thanks to Bogleheads, I feel like I've won the game with my additional savings in my 457(b), 457(b) Roth, Roth IRA and taxable accounts for any future inflation or adjustments to living costs.
My original plan was to retire December 1, 2021, where I would have 30 years of service and just have passed my 53rd BD.
But, like others after 14 month of work at home, we are progressing back to full time office work.
So I evaluated how many days I thought I could handle the commute and 3 months sounded better than 6, when I submitted my retirement papers the last week of May.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: It is real. Three months into 53 years of life, I'm retired. My parents who are in their mid 80s were thrilled when it became a fact. They couldn't believe they are still alive when their kid is retired😇.
That's a nice story! We wish your parents all the best and many years to enjoy their retired child :D
livelovelaugh00 wrote:Last Friday was my last day after a serial of knowledge transferring meetings on Zoom. I went back to office two weeks ago to pick up personal items since left office last March. Hey, I don't miss a bit! 🤭 I will return my laptop by mailing it back. Cleaning of my laptop and remote desktop was quite easy because I planned for early retirement for some time. I'm so happy. It's hard not to smile 😄 Cheers! To health and wealth. 🥂
You sound so happy! - we're delighted you're so happy with your transition into this next big step in your life! We're smiling right along with you :D :D
And yes - Cheers to health and wealth! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this wonderful Class of 2021.

And speaking of health and wealth, what have you decided to do with all this free time ahead of you and how are you gonna preserve your wealth?
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Miriam

Please adjust your rollcall from June to August, I needed to wait for retroactive money offered by our Governor's Office of Employee relations, therefore 8/5 is my final exit date.

Apologies for this adjustment, thanks in advance.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

retire2022 wrote: Miriam

Please adjust your rollcall from June to August, I needed to wait for retroactive money offered by our Governor's Office of Employee relations, therefore 8/5 is my final exit date.

Apologies for this adjustment, thanks in advance.
Ok good - you're in the "adjustment" section of my marbles. No apologies necessary :D we just go with whatever comes up, we really don't know what we're doing or have everything organized, it's a slow learning curve here :mrgreen:
NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ »

I gave notice last Thursday. My final day will be July 8!

I am 59, and have been working part time (so semi-retired?) for the last 4 years. I will actually be retiring almost on the day I would turn 59.5, but that has nothing to do with it as I don't plan to withdraw from my IRAs any time soon.

I'm looking forward to traveling and pursuing hobbies!
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

I was actually laid off from my job last October, one month before I turned 65. I thought I would retire and my retirement numbers look good but somehow I got the thought in my dumb head that I would try it again so in April I signed a 90-day contract for work in the same profession. It was just long enough to remind me that its time to retire. Can't wait till July 9th.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Elena wrote: I just FIREd five minutes ago! My 10-mo. contract ended in May, and was to be resumed in August as every year for the last twenty, but I decided it was overly complicated to keep going (I have been on "one more year" mode for ca. five or six, planning all aspects under my control).
Retirement date: June 25th, 2021.
Thank you for the online session!
Way to go, Elena!! You're not only on this Awesome Roll Call, but you're in the running for the Very Coveted Award as The Youngest Retiree!!

Being the youngest retiree, however, has its "uh, what do I do now?" moments :mrgreen: What are your plans for the next 50 years? We wish you all good things in your retirement. :D

Happy you enjoy the BH online meetings - please join your fellow BHs at future virtual online meetings - here is the Calendar of Events and at the bottom of the calendar, you'll find links to the recordings of past meetings, the BH Speaker Series, and Rick Ferri's BH on Investing Podcasts.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Retired from a very strenuous job as of Monday, May 31, 2021, just in time to turn 66 and 2 months and be eligible for full soc sec retirement benefits. Everything timed out perfectly.

Many of my former co-workers are seriously in need of psychiatric care. There is a lot of mental illness in that place. We'll see how long it takes me to detox from that job and stop having nightmares about it. It was turning into a sweatshop and a hellhole and my boss was Little Hitler himself.

The good news is that I was grandfathered into a generous pension plan which they no longer offer to new hires. I also got a generous severance package as a lovely parting gift, so I'm being compensated for the damage to my psyche. Between the pension and soc sec I've got my living expenses covered. So far in the first half of 2021 my portfolio has gained more than my total wages for 2020, so I can't complain about that.

The company has $4 billion (billion with a "b") in lawsuits pending against it. You've probably read/heard about them in the news. They frankly deserve to lose and probably will.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mggray17 wrote: I am officially signed up for the Class of 2021.
After nearly 30 years of service to my current employer, I will be officially retired September 1, 2021.
My last actual work day will be August 26, 2021. So 2 months to go. I Will be 2 months shy of 53 yo.
Hi mggray17!
Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 - you're on the Roll Call! You'll have the best degree - "Officially Retired" :D
Only 2 months to go - it's really the wind-down and slide into freeeeeee time!
mggray17 wrote:I will receive a pension (currently without cola's) that after taxes will match my current take home pay. :)
Thanks to Bogleheads, I feel like I've won the game with my additional savings in my 457(b), 457(b) Roth, Roth IRA and taxable accounts for any future inflation or adjustments to living costs.
Sounds like good plans, ready to hop over to the very enjoyable time of life without financial angst and stress 8-)
mggray17 wrote:My original plan was to retire December 1, 2021, where I would have 30 years of service and just have passed my 53rd BD.
But, like others after 14 month of work at home, we are progressing back to full time office work.
So I evaluated how many days I thought I could handle the commute and 3 months sounded better than 6, when I submitted my retirement papers the last week of May.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Long commutes can be draining and the gas bill really piles up.

We wish you a long and wonderful retirement :D What have you decided to do with all your new free time?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

NancyABQ wrote: I gave notice last Thursday. My final day will be July 8!

I am 59, and have been working part time (so semi-retired?) for the last 4 years. I will actually be retiring almost on the day I would turn 59.5, but that has nothing to do with it as I don't plan to withdraw from my IRAs any time soon.

I'm looking forward to traveling and pursuing hobbies!
Hi NancyABQ! and welcome to this Happy Retirement Roll Call - you're on the roster! :D

Yikes!! You're outta there in 4 days!! Got everything ready? We hope these next days are an easy transition for you.

Best wishes for a fabulous retirement! - enjoy your travels (where are you going?) and enjoy your hobbies (what hobbies do you enjoy?) and try some new adventures (one BH wants to go underwater diving in the Antarctic :shock:) Please let us know how everything goes :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

marco1910 wrote: I was actually laid off from my job last October, one month before I turned 65. I thought I would retire and my retirement numbers look good but somehow I got the thought in my dumb head that I would try it again so in April I signed a 90-day contract for work in the same profession. It was just long enough to remind me that its time to retire. Can't wait till July 9th.
Hi marco! Only a few more days and you will be Out of The Rat Race :D A big welcome to this Triumphant Retirement Roll Call!

We know you're gonna be up to something, with all your free time and, thank goodness, without daily nonsense and stress. You've been a Boglehead since 2008 - Congratulations!! Your portfolio must be Truly Awesome !!! How did you find the Bogleheads?

Best wishes for a long and fun retirement :beer
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

I'm already on the list, but had to confirm today's my last day. WOOHOO!

The concurrent sense of excitement and loss are real!
'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Johnsson wrote: I'm already on the list, but had to confirm today's my last day. WOOHOO!

Big congratutions Johnsson!!

Very nice way to put it - "the concurrent sense of excitement and loss" :happy Enjoy these wonderful moments and we hope you have the best retirement - oh, just remembered, the interior of your house needs painting and is eagerly awaiting you (after the wedding, of course), now that you have all this free time :D
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:14 am
Johnsson wrote: I'm already on the list, but had to confirm today's my last day. WOOHOO!

Big congratutions Johnsson!!

Very nice way to put it - "the concurrent sense of excitement and loss" :happy Enjoy these wonderful moments and we hope you have the best retirement - oh, just remembered, the interior of your house needs painting and is eagerly awaiting you (after the wedding, of course), now that you have all this free time :D
Ugh! :sharebeer
'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

My DH gave his notice for his retirement on 7/9/2021. (We will be celebrating 2-Independence Days this week. :D )
beyou

Post by beyou »

Still hoping to get my "package" starting year end and be free on New Years Eve.
Not leaving without that severance package, not sure what more I need to do to get laid off :-)
I would think late 50s and refusal to go along with most major corporate changes would do it, but as of now have only
a notice of what I must do by 12/31/2021 to retain employment, something I do not plan to do !
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

chris319 wrote: Retired from a very strenuous job as of Monday, May 31, 2021, just in time to turn 66 and 2 months and be eligible for full soc sec retirement benefits. Everything timed out perfectly. . . . The good news is that I was grandfathered into a generous pension plan which they no longer offer to new hires. I also got a generous severance package as a lovely parting gift, so I'm being compensated for the damage to my psyche. Between the pension and soc sec I've got my living expenses covered. So far in the first half of 2021 my portfolio has gained more than my total wages for 2020, so I can't complain about that.
We're very happy for you, chris319, that your retirement plans timed out perfectly with full Soc Sec, a generous pension plan and severance package, and you're gone from the rat race before doom set in 8-) Hope you're able to relax soon with all that stress weight off your shoulders. Please let us know how you're doing and what helped to de-stress and re-align.

Best wishes for a well-deserved retirement with lots of relaxing and good times with family and friends, lots of new experiences and fun adventures. Please keep us posted on your retirement :sharebeer
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Thank you for the warm welcome, Miriam :moneybag
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:12 am
mggray17 wrote: I am officially signed up for the Class of 2021.
Hi mggray17!
Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2021 - you're on the Roll Call! You'll have the best degree - "Officially Retired" :D
Only 2 months to go - it's really the wind-down and slide into freeeeeee time!
mggray17 wrote:I will receive a pension (currently without cola's) that after taxes will match my current take home pay. :)
Sounds like good plans, ready to hop over to the very enjoyable time of life without financial angst and stress 8-)
mggray17 wrote:My original plan was to retire December 1, 2021, where I would have 30 years of service and just have passed my 53rd BD.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Long commutes can be draining and the gas bill really piles up.

We wish you a long and wonderful retirement :D What have you decided to do with all your new free time?
Thanks Miriam!

I plan on enjoying the jersey shore "local summer", doing yard work, landscaping etc., and bike riding.
I may dip my toes into part time consulting in the spring of '22. Or maybe not.
I shall see. Just going to enjoy my time off for now and catch up on projects.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

2cents2 wrote: My DH gave his notice for his retirement on 7/9/2021. (We will be celebrating 2-Independence Days this week. :D )
This entire week must have been one happy giant party! :sharebeer It's a great time to retire! (actually, anytime is a great time to retire LOL ) Best wishes on becoming independent and free and for a long healthy retirement that is everything hoped for with lots of fun and great adventures for your entire family. :D