Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
radiowave

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by radiowave »

So I have my official date: May 28 will be my last day. All I can say is wow.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Well, I missed April 1.

Change in plans, it's now April 30. Instead of squeezing my head like a grape they did it the old fashioned way - :moneybag

Apparently I can be bought and now we know the price...

Change please - April 30th.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Derpalator wrote: Well, it has finally come to fruition. I filed my six month notice on April 1st for retirement date of October 1st 2021. Contract required 6 months notice or I would have had to help pay for recruiting my replacement. I am 61 and so is DW.
Hi Derpalator! and welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Class! You're on the Roll Call :happy
Derpalator wrote:None of this would have been possible without this forum. Until I awakened about a decade ago, I had made EVERY investing mistake known. And it was stressful. Bogleheads gave me "financial peace" (to borrow from Dave Ramsey). Thank you Jack Bogle, Taylor, Mr. Barnitz, Livesoft, Nisiprius, Vineviz, Dottie57, dbr, Hedgefundie, and to so many, many paragons of knowledge and true virtue for your guidance and insight.
Couldn't agree more - The Bogleheads forum is the best personal finance forum in the world helping people become better personal investors. We owe it all to Taylor Larimore who had this crazy idea in 1998 and was able to convince Morningstar to host it as Vanguard Diehards. We grew so large we ended up this website today where Taylor (now 97 years young) and the Bogleheads still provide a wonderful forum for personal finance.

Taylor with the Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio managers :D

Left to Right: Total Bond Manager, Josh Barrickman; Total Stock Manager, Gerry O'Reilly; Taylor Larimore; Total International Manager, Mike Perre.
Taken 10/2013, at Bogleheads Conference 12.

Derpalator wrote: Plans include more travel, Antarctic scuba diving (bucket list), new pool, TESLA and solar panels, pole barn, vehicle lift, air hammer (too much South Main Auto on youtube!), and finding my new groove, including better sleep and exercise.
Sounds like marvelous plans! Wait . . . . did you say Antarctic scuba diving ?? and this is actually on your bucket list ????? We will be anxiously waiting for your description of your retirement adventure - and you'll probably take the award as this class's Most Adventurous Retirement Plan :D
We wish you a warm, long and enjoyable retirement :sharebeer
kaesler

Post by kaesler »

I decided at Christmas time to retire after filling up my 2021 401k deferral. April 2 was my last day. I’m greatly enjoying the freedom and lack of deadlines. Making some travel plans for this year and the following two.

Grateful for good health and the investing prudence and wisdom I’ve learned here over the past 15+ years.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: So I have my official date: May 28 will be my last day. All I can say is wow.
And we concur - WOW!! Only five weeks to go, get those R-papers IN, throw out all that old punched tape and punch cards, enjoy your cake and good-byes, and \\\\//// (happy dance) enjoy this next phase of your life :D
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

May 14 will be my last day of work -- joining DW who retired in October. Looking forward to our next adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jello_nailer wrote: Well, I missed April 1.
Change in plans, it's now April 30. Instead of squeezing my head like a grape they did it the old fashioned way - :moneybag
Hi jello_nailer - OK, we moved you down 30 days to April 30th. Not too bad, especially for :moneybag I'd do the same thing, in fact I did.

Only two more weeks and you'll be FREEEEEEEEE from work stress and work schedules :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

kaesler wrote: I decided at Christmas time to retire after filling up my 2021 401k deferral. April 2 was my last day. I’m greatly enjoying the freedom and lack of deadlines. Making some travel plans for this year and the following two.

Grateful for good health and the investing prudence and wisdom I’ve learned here over the past 15+ years.
Hi kaesler! Welcome to this Glorious Retirement Roll Call and all the Special Entitlements that come with it! :D

You said it well - retirement is freedom and lack of deadlines! We wish you many long years of continued freedom and the ability to do what you want when you want and a wonderful retirement!

And moreover - so far you will take the Most Coveted Award as the Most Senior Boglehead of this class - having joined this forum on March 12, 2007, a mere 3 weeks after we formed on Feb. 19, 2007 :D Your portfolio must be One Extraordinary Masterpiece 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GeraniumLover wrote: May 14 will be my last day of work -- joining DW who retired in October. Looking forward to our next adventures!
Hi GeraniumLover! and welcome to the 2021 Retirement Roll Call! You're on the list and in the class :beer

Please let us know what you have planned for your next adventures! We wish you a wonderful long and enjoyable retirement :happy
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:55 pm
Hi jello_nailer - OK, we moved you down 30 days to April 30th. Not too bad, especially for :moneybag I'd do the same thing, in fact I did.

Only two more weeks and you'll be FREEEEEEEEE from work stress and work schedules :D
Well... 3 more days of work and then 2 days of vacation, 1 week from today, I'm done!
Last day at work is Wednesday the 28th, long planned vacation days with a buddy of 50 years on the 29th and 30th. Today I side stepped the "will you be available" talk, deftly pulling off a bullfighter move and dodged the horn. I declined.

Interestingly there have been a few offers in an advisory capacity I may look into in the future. I may consider something like that for travel and scotch money if it's on my terms. Who knows.

Very hard to stay engaged when you're this close!
Matt62

Post by Matt62 »

A short stream of conscious.

For me it's October one and done. Even have an app on the phone that counts the days down. Yep, it's come to that. What will I do? Just rest and be and recharge. I'll take time and I'll take stock and I'll think about the things I want to get done and things I haven't done. I'll Ski on Wednesdays have wine on Sundays and call people I know, just to talk. A dog, I'm going to get a dog and go for walks during the day and and think about the people working and stop to think, I would have been working too, if I was working. Then I'll pet my dog and move on :sharebeer
Fierce Escape

Post by Fierce Escape »

So glad to hear of everyones successes, I enjoy others winning and having the freedom to do whatever they want!

February 26th was my Freedom Day after nearly 31 years, a month before turning 54 (wife retired last summer). Due to our planned low living standard risk, present and future pensions and SS, I've rolled 90% of a 457 into a 65/35 AA Vanguard account. We have a wonderful and beautiful low cost rural HomeBase on 7.5 Acres of rolling wooded sanctuary.

We can live and travel off half and eventually a third of our passive income , excluding any savings or tax deferred accounts. No debt and plan on many domestic travels in a Vandoit LIV van (being built, buying/owning in July) and hopefully soon Viking River Cruises internationally. We're very active and enjoy traveling, so work will no longer require us to return home prematurely! It'll be so nice to visit family and friends throughout the States with no restrictions due to employment. Freedom!!! Tim & Joan
Last edited by Fierce Escape on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Matt62 wrote: A short stream of conscious.
For me it's October one and done. Even have an app on the phone that counts the days down. Yep, it's come to that.
Haha! And how often do you look at your phone days-to-retire app? Probably more often than you look at your portfolio 8-)
You're on this Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roster for the Class of 2021!
Matt62 wrote: What will I do? Just rest and be and recharge. I'll take time and I'll take stock and I'll think about the things I want to get done and things I haven't done. I'll Ski on Wednesdays have wine on Sundays and call people I know, just to talk. A dog, I'm going to get a dog and go for walks during the day and and think about the people working and stop to think, I would have been working too, if I was working. Then I'll pet my dog and move on :sharebeer
Oh I love it! A relaxing retirement with resting and recharging and thinking and enjoying life, deep in delicious thoughts. Please let us know how your retirement goes and tell us about your retirement dog. We wish you many enjoyable and healthy years of retirement with lots of good wine :D
2020content

Post by 2020content »

DW and I are both retiring on 12/31/2021 or possibly sooner. We are ready to be free from the obligations of work after 30+ years of nose-to-the-grindstone hard work, endless business travel, and way too many hotel rooms. The stress and time is no longer worth the income. At 51 and 55 we feel young and healthy, and we have a whole new life ahead of us - with freedom.

We believe we have enough assets and a low enough budget to have a perpetual withdrawal rate. I can't thank my father enough for teaching me about personal finances and encouraging me to invest at a young age. The Bogleheads forum has been incredibly helpful and it's been a good source of inspiration.

We got here by:
  • Living beneath our means
  • Focus and loyalty to our work (20 years and 12 years with our companies)
  • That gave us big shovels
  • Stayed out of debt (never had a car loan)
  • Invested early and often
  • Stayed the course and didn't time the market or panic
I respectfully request that we be added to the Retirement Class of 2021.

:sharebeer
wesley888

Post by wesley888 »

Last day of work is May 7th, 2021! I'm 56. Already finished all of the paper work with the place I work. I have a pretty comfortable work managing a programming team. Don't really have to do much other than support calls from time to time. I've never manage my money well. Fortunately the place I work has a good pension plan and partial matching our 401k so I put in just enough money to have to max matching from the firm. After working there for so many years, I now have enough to retire. Going to travel the world a bit (when we could, due to Covid) and will see how it goes.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Matt62 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:47 pm A short stream of conscious.

For me it's October one and done. Even have an app on the phone that counts the days down. Yep, it's come to that. What will I do? Just rest and be and recharge. I'll take time and I'll take stock and I'll think about the things I want to get done and things I haven't done. I'll Ski on Wednesdays have wine on Sundays and call people I know, just to talk. A dog, I'm going to get a dog and go for walks during the day and and think about the people working and stop to think, I would have been working too, if I was working. Then I'll pet my dog and move on :sharebeer
You will start by petting him. Eventually you will kiss him on the lips.
Ask me how I know... :D
Sodapop

Post by Sodapop »

DW of 46 years and I retiring on May 28th, this year...much thanks to the many members of this group. We love what we do and the people we work with, it’s just time to turn the page. Both 65...66 soon. Thanks All!!!
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

All right Miriam add my name to the list please!

I am retiring at age 56 on June 20th from a job working behind the scenes in the tv news business. I never dreamt I would end up in this line of work much less be able to retire from it. This unexpected career started 34 years ago when My Dad thought I should apply for a few "real jobs" in case I couldn't pay the bills as an art school graduate. Turns out he was right. I have been able to pay the bills and beyond! I think he would be proud.

There are so many things I look forward to! No more constant deadlines or giving up nights, weekends and holidays. I plan on watching a lot of sunsets, taking long walks while checking out some of the great suggestions from the "What are you listening to now" thread, maybe even learning how to make a proper spreadsheet (although I am fond of my good old pencil and paper method) but most importantly I am looking forward to getting back to art and just seeing what happens and where it might lead me.

Here's to the serendipitous beauty of a new becoming! :beer Thanks Bogleheads!!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

01 Nov 2021, at just a little over the age of 56.
At that point I am currently projecting that I will be at 99.9% of the highest estimate of my "number". Close enough!

I am not planning to make the final call (putting in the paperwork) until about 01 Aug though. A lot can happen between now and then, but those are phantom fears (I keep telling myself.)

Thanks to COVID-19 and a good accrual rate, I will need to take about 10 weeks of vacation between now and then (will not be paid out, have to use it up). I think I can handle that though.

I'll save my thanks to Bogleheads for when the day actually occurs, but I very much appreciate everything that got me to this decision! :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Fierce Escape wrote: So glad to hear of everyones successes, I enjoy others winning and having the freedom to do whatever they want!

February 26th was my Freedom Day after nearly 31 years, a month before turning 54 (wife retired last summer). Due to our planned low living standard risk, present and future pensions and SS, I've rolled 90% of a 457 into a 65/35 AA Vanguard account. . . . We can live and travel off half and eventually a third of our passive income, excluding any savings or tax deferred accounts. No debt . . .
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! Happy to hear you're already PUNCHED OUT :happy Sounds like good planning all the way around and thank you for sharing your financial plans.
Fierce Escape wrote:We have a wonderful and beautiful low cost rural HomeBase on 7.5 Acres of rolling wooded sanctuary.
"7.5 Acres of rolling wooded sanctuary" sounds delightful. We hope you have many years of peace and enjoyment in your HomeBase natural sanctuary.
Fierce Escape wrote: . . . plan on many domestic travels in a Vandoit LIV van (being built, buying/owning in July) and hopefully soon Viking River Cruises internationally. We're very active and enjoy traveling, so work will no longer require us to return home prematurely! It'll be so nice to visit family and friends throughout the States with no restrictions due to employment. Freedom!!!
We share your enthusiasm and wish you both all the best in your upcoming travels and adventures and fun with family and friends! We have a local Boglehead who loves those Viking River Cruises and takes fabulous photos. It's a nice way to cruise because you see the world from new perspectives and you're so close to places you can just hop off and run around and enjoy new country-side experiences. Please let us know how you enjoy your retirement :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

2020content wrote: DW and I are both retiring on 12/31/2021 or possibly sooner. We are ready to be free from the obligations of work after 30+ years of nose-to-the-grindstone hard work, endless business travel, and way too many hotel rooms. The stress and time is no longer worth the income. At 51 and 55 we feel young and healthy, and we have a whole new life ahead of us - with freedom.
:arrow: The 6 most exciting words in any language = Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! :beer

The "stress and time is no longer worth the income" - great way to put it. Time to move ahead into the next great phase of life.
2020content wrote:We believe we have enough assets and a low enough budget to have a perpetual withdrawal rate. I can't thank my father enough for teaching me about personal finances and encouraging me to invest at a young age.

Aw, I understand, same here. :happy
The Bogleheads forum has been incredibly helpful and it's been a good source of inspiration.

We got here by:
  • Living beneath our means
  • Focus and loyalty to our work (20 years and 12 years with our companies)
  • That gave us big shovels
  • Stayed out of debt (never had a car loan)
  • Invested early and often
  • Stayed the course and didn't time the market or panic
I respectfully request that we be added to the Retirement Class of 2021.
Your request is granted and you're in this Great Class of 2021!
Really enjoyed reading your path to retirement, thank you for sharing.
We wish you many years of an enjoyable and healthy retirement, filled with new adventures and good cheer :D Please let us know how your retirement goes.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:55 pm

Graduation day!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jello_nailer wrote: Change in plans, it's now April 30. . . .
jello_nailer wrote:Graduation day!
Congratulations!!!

Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I just retired today! 4/30/21. Age 52. Software engineer at a FAANG in Silicon Valley. Will remain here for a while until Covid is largely over and the housing markets come back to something resembling sanity. Then planning to sell the house and move to the eastern half of the US.

My wife and I have several candidate destinations in mind, ideally somewhere with four seasons including a real winter with snow, although we're also considering more southern possibilities such as North Carolina. Meanwhile looking forward to taking advantage of outdoor activities while we're still in the Bay Area and now can do them on weekdays when most other people are working!

Have really enjoyed not having to go to the office for the past 14 months, and one strong motivating factor for retiring now vs. a year or two from now is that my employer is getting ready to start requiring people to return to the office sometime in the next few months, even offering onsite vaccinations to expedite the process. Thanks but no thanks!

It's fortuitous that my biggest block of RSUs completed vesting on April 15. I gave my two weeks' notice on April 16. :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

wesley888 wrote: Last day of work is May 7th, 2021! I'm 56. Already finished all of the paper work with the place I work. I have a pretty comfortable work managing a programming team. Don't really have to do much other than support calls from time to time. I've never manage my money well. Fortunately the place I work has a good pension plan and partial matching our 401k so I put in just enough money to have to max matching from the firm. After working there for so many years, I now have enough to retire. Going to travel the world a bit (when we could, due to Covid) and will see how it goes.
Congratulations wesley! Tomorrow is graduation day! Well, you managed your money well enough to graduate before you turned 80 and hey - even before social security! With a little help from your pension you should be good to go 8-) Little by little, step by step, just keep putting away some money and enough to retire can become reality :dollar

We wish you all the best as you travel the world and hope that you accomplish everything you want to in all these retirement years ahead of you!
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm
shapeshifter wrote: On track for December 31st. I'll only be 58 but have been working since the age of 10 except for when school got in the way.

I just don't have enough room in my life for a full-time job anymore ;). My DW retired three years ago and we are longing to spend more time visiting family all over the US along with vacationing in Hawaii and Mexico. Also there is Pickleball (gonna try it this summer), swimming, biking, woodworking, gardening... you name it.
Wow! You sure have an active retirement planned! What great plans, and for sure, you simply don't have any extra time to work :D

You're on this Grand Retirement Roll Call! Working since 10 years old clearly requires a well-earned retirement. We wish you all the best in all your adventures and hope they are very enjoyable. Please keep us in the loop!
Update: I am really thinking about pulling the trigger in September - 3 months early!

Work is really cramping my style. It has been more demanding than in previous years, and this translates into irritability in my weaker moments. Maybe most of it is just my attitude - I just don't have any patience left for the perceived emergencies of others.
:annoyed

Also, if I retire well before the holidays, the DW and I can start making plans to visit family and I won't have to worry about finishing up at work, getting calls, turning work over and what not, making for a stressful holiday period. We could just hit the road and not look back!

It would be more advantageous financially to endure till year end, but isn't there always an excuse to wait longer? Anyway I figure I'll make that decision in the next few weeks, and submit my paperwork in shortly thereafter. Boy it seems close now.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

shapeshifter wrote: Update: I am really thinking about pulling the trigger in September - 3 months early!
Work is really cramping my style.
LOL :D

Why not split the time and retire Oct 31?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sodapop wrote: DW of 46 years and I retiring on May 28th, this year...much thanks to the many members of this group. We love what we do and the people we work with, it’s just time to turn the page. Both 65...66 soon. Thanks All!!!
Congratulations Sodapop! You're ON the Roll Call! And retiring with your dear wife of 46 years - wonderful! :D

"Time to turn the page" . . . nice way of looking at it. So you've had a good work, good help from the Bogleheads, now a good retirement - what more could you ask for?! We hope your new pages are filled with all good things, new adventures, exciting trips, good times with family and friends, and many, many years of relaxing and enjoying this great beautiful earth :beer
reddison

Post by reddison »

My time finally arrived at last! Friday, April 30 was my last day. I had been transitioning my work for the past couple of years but it felt really strange that last week when I was mostly clearing out files with knowledge that I'd no longer be going to work daily as I had for 40+ years. I will still be tied to my company for several years in a paid advisory capacity but with no real work requirements. It feels incredibly liberating!

I am definitely a planner and analyzer by nature and spent a lot of time trying to figure out all this retirement stuff. I have to give a shoutout to the Bogleheads who patiently answered all of my questions as I worked thru my financial plans for retirement. This week I transferred my 401k to a Vanguard rollover IRA. Unfortunately, my 401k plan didn't permit transfers in kind so they had to send me a paper check. It was well into the 7 figures so it made me nervous, and the fedex driver left it on our front porch. It blew into the bushes where my wife found it - ugh! But from there it was quite simple doing an e-deposit into Vanguard with my iphone. I won't be able to reinvest until next week. Based on a number of things I learned on this forum, I took a number of steps - I contributed some greatly appreciated stock to a Donor Advised Fund at the end of last year. As a consequence, I received a large refund which fully pays my taxes for 2021. And I have started doing Roth rollovers up to the top of the 22% bracket, which keeps us safe from IRMAA. I'll do this each year until age 72 and RMDs.

Next week we are off on our first post-retirement trip. We are taking a 2 week driving trip up and down the east coast to see family and friends in PA, SC and FL. We have 6 stops altogether, 2 for hiking and 4 to visit friends and family. And we have rented a house out west for 6 months in the Fall so we can spend some extended time with our son and his family.

So many thanks to the Bogleheads for all the great advice and congrats to all of you Class of 2021 retirees!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

slyfox wrote: All right Miriam add my name to the list please!

I am retiring at age 56 on June 20th from a job working behind the scenes in the tv news business. I never dreamt I would end up in this line of work much less be able to retire from it. This unexpected career started 34 years ago when My Dad thought I should apply for a few "real jobs" in case I couldn't pay the bills as an art school graduate. Turns out he was right. I have been able to pay the bills and beyond! I think he would be proud.

There are so many things I look forward to! No more constant deadlines or giving up nights, weekends and holidays. I plan on watching a lot of sunsets, taking long walks while checking out some of the great suggestions from the "What are you listening to now" thread, maybe even learning how to make a proper spreadsheet (although I am fond of my good old pencil and paper method) but most importantly I am looking forward to getting back to art and just seeing what happens and where it might lead me.

Here's to the serendipitous beauty of a new becoming! :beer Thanks Bogleheads!!
Hi slyfox! What a nice post! Sounds like you ended up with a neat job and you can thank your dad for that :happy Maybe when you retire from the TV news business, since you're probably irreplaceable, then we won't have any TV news to watch anymore - what a relief :wink:

Thank you for sharing all your nice retirement plans. Long walks and sunsets and exploring new pursuits and getting back into art - sounds like a full and enjoyable beginning for a sunny retirement. I love the "serendipitous beauty of a new beginning!" But don't give up on old fashioned paper and pencil notes and spreadsheets :mrgreen:

We wish you all the best in your upcoming retirement! Welcome to this Most Unforgettable Retirement Roll Call :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: 01 Nov 2021, at just a little over the age of 56.
At that point I am currently projecting that I will be at 99.9% of the highest estimate of my "number". Close enough!

I am not planning to make the final call (putting in the paperwork) until about 01 Aug though. A lot can happen between now and then, but those are phantom fears (I keep telling myself.)

Thanks to COVID-19 and a good accrual rate, I will need to take about 10 weeks of vacation between now and then (will not be paid out, have to use it up). I think I can handle that though.
OK tooluser - you're on the Roll Call and a classy member of this Very Elite Retirement Class :beer Don't worry about phantom fears. Anyone who can use tools like you can, is a force to be reckoned with and will tear through retirement with excitement. Every time I see your name and avatar, I revert back to my fond memories of the good old days and Anthropology 101 :D
tooluser wrote:I'll save my thanks to Bogleheads for when the day actually occurs, but I very much appreciate everything that got me to this decision! :happy
Yes for sure, we all appreciate the Bogleheads and their financial wisdom. Mr. Bogle and the Bogleheads have helped regular investors save for retirement while enjoying life.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bungo wrote: I just retired today! 4/30/21. Age 52.
Great! Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call :D
Bungo wrote:Software engineer at a FAANG in Silicon Valley. Will remain here for a while until Covid is largely over and the housing markets come back to something resembling sanity. Then planning to sell the house and move to the eastern half of the US.
Nice plans! Please advise your fellow Bogleheads when the housing markets come back to something resembling sanity :shock:
Bungo wrote:My wife and I have several candidate destinations in mind, ideally somewhere with four seasons including a real winter with snow, although we're also considering more southern possibilities such as North Carolina.

Ok, no problem. Why not South Florida? 🌴 8-) We have four seasons:

Winter - Tourist season with snow birds

Spring - Spring break season

Summer - Hurricane season

Fall - Saggy season

Bungo wrote:Meanwhile looking forward to taking advantage of outdoor activities while we're still in the Bay Area and now can do them on weekdays when most other people are working!
Enjoy your new freedom! Thank you for sharing your glide into retirement. We wish you many years of fabulous retirement adventures, and relaxing times with no sturm and stress. 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reddison wrote: My time finally arrived at last! Friday, April 30 was my last day. I had been transitioning my work for the past couple of years but it felt really strange that last week when I was mostly clearing out files with knowledge that I'd no longer be going to work daily as I had for 40+ years. I will still be tied to my company for several years in a paid advisory capacity but with no real work requirements. It feels incredibly liberating!
Welcome to retirement! Reddison, we enjoyed your description of your glidepath into retirement - after 40+ years! Bittersweet, would you say? "Clearing out files" - now we're getting serious - "with knowledge that I'd no longer be going to work daily as I had for 40+ years." - oh, the emotional sorrow of a good career, gone with the change of life's stage :shock: :shock:

This emotional sorrow will last a day or so, if that :P then the freedom from stress becomes real, we are freeeeeeeeeeeee from that work :D

As you say - it is incredibly liberating :D When they call you for advice, tell them to google it.
reddison wrote:I am definitely a planner and analyzer by nature and spent a lot of time trying to figure out all this retirement stuff.
Oh dear, we understand perfectly - not a satisficer . . .
reddison wrote:I have to give a shoutout to the Bogleheads who patiently answered all of my questions as I worked thru my financial plans for retirement. This week I transferred my 401k to a Vanguard rollover IRA. Unfortunately, my 401k plan didn't permit transfers in kind so they had to send me a paper check. It was well into the 7 figures so it made me nervous, and the fedex driver left it on our front porch. It blew into the bushes where my wife found it - ugh!
Haha! What a fun story!
reddison wrote: But from there it was quite simple doing an e-deposit into Vanguard with my iphone. I won't be able to reinvest until next week. Based on a number of things I learned on this forum, I took a number of steps - I contributed some greatly appreciated stock to a Donor Advised Fund at the end of last year. As a consequence, I received a large refund which fully pays my taxes for 2021. And I have started doing Roth rollovers up to the top of the 22% bracket, which keeps us safe from IRMAA. I'll do this each year until age 72 and RMDs.
Love your planning. It's incredible and empowering what can be learned from this remarkable forum :happy
reddison wrote:Next week we are off on our first post-retirement trip. We are taking a 2 week driving trip up and down the east coast to see family and friends in PA, SC and FL. We have 6 stops altogether, 2 for hiking and 4 to visit friends and family. And we have rented a house out west for 6 months in the Fall so we can spend some extended time with our son and his family.
Thanks for sharing your nice plans - sounds like the perfect beginning to a long and exciting retirement.
reddison wrote:So many thanks to the Bogleheads for all the great advice and congrats to all of you Class of 2021 retirees!
We wish you all the best in your travels around this great and glorious country, enjoy your family and friends, and please let us know how your plans work out :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

Here's the latest updated Roll Call for the Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2021 :D

Almost half-way through this year :shock: and we already have 33 Boglehead graduates !

Already Graduated!! - Our hearty congratulations to everyone who PUNCHED OUT!!
01 Jan - WanderingWheelz (age 49.5)
01 Jan - Silk McCue (61)
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)
05 Jan - Nash22 (60)
08 Jan - Shackleton (53)
08 Jan - Gardening Dog
19 Jan - journey (56)
31 Jan - Arabesque (69.5)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)
01 Feb - ClassOf2021 (63)
01 Feb - scguy613 (64)
12 Feb - Djwil296 (57.5)
11 Feb - Exchme (60)
15 Feb - datadatum (50)
17 Feb - Taz (57)
26 Feb - Fierce Escape (53)

23 Mar - walkindude (62)
31 Mar - Barefootgirl (60)
__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
02 Apr - kaesler
15 Apr - travelspot (53)
30 Apr - jello_nailer (64)
30 Apr - Bungo (52)
30 Apr - reddison (62)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)
__ Apr - Unhewnstone (55)

07 May - CompassRose (61)
07 May - bhughes1001 (64)
07 May - wesley888 (56)
14 May - GeraniumLover
14 May - cadreamer2015

Our upcoming graduates - getting excited about their upcoming NEW BEGINNING!!
28 May - radiowave
28 May - Sodapop (65)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

01 Jun - beernutz (62)
04 Jun - wandering_aimlessly (55)
11 Jun - trueson1 (65)
18 Jun - ClassOf21 (51)
20 Jun - slyfox (56)
30 Jun - retire2022
30 Jun - McDougal
__ Jun - KarenC

01 Jul - KESP (64)
06 Jul - Johnsson (59)
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)

01 Aug - fposte (58)

20 Sep - goblue100
__ Sep - shapeshifter (58)

01 Oct - Derpalator (61)
08 Oct - JediMisty (63)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)
__ Oct - Matt62

01 Nov - birdog (48)
01 Nov - tooluser (56)

31 Dec - DKD (62)
31 Dec - beyou
31 Dec - 2020content (55)

__ ___ - ClaycordJCA
__ ___ - formerlybroke (60)
__ ___ - JackFFR1846
__ ___ - Siaigi

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)
HomerJ (class of 2021 . . . to S&P 5,000 and beyond!! . . .)

Remember to punch in here if you punch out this year!

Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 22, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

February 1, 2021 for me. Age 64. We sold our company and will enjoy the next 20-30 years.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

scguy613 wrote: February 1, 2021 for me. Age 64. We sold our company and will enjoy the next 20-30 years.
OK scguy613 - you made it to the Roll Call !! :beer What are you going to enjoy during the next 20-30 years?
We hope that whatever it is, you have a wonderful retirement :happy
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Today is my last day of employment. I worked full-time until October, 2015 then about half time as a consultant to my former employer for 5 1/2 years. It is time to hang it up after a career of 42 years and enjoy the rest of my life with no work emails, or required ethics, computer security and sexual harassment training. Won't miss the corporate bureaucracy! Had a nice farewell Teams meeting yesterday with my long-time colleagues. This last gig of my career lasted 13 1/2 years, counting both full time and part-time.

Bogleheads advice was so very helpful when I was deciding to go from full-time to part-time 5 1/2 years ago. In that span of time the market has gone up 130% and I've delayed taking Social Security, so our retirement financial picture is much healthier than it would have been had I quit cold-turkey in October, 2015. Good luck to all future retirees!
Last edited by cadreamer2015 on Sat May 15, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non disputandum est
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Today is my last day of employment. I worked full-time until October, 2015 then about half time as a consultant to my former employer for 5 1/2 years. It is time to hang it up after a career of 42 years and enjoy the rest of my life with no work emails, or required ethics, computer security and sexual harassment training. Won't miss the corporate bureaucracy! Had a nice farewell Teams meeting yesterday with my long-time colleagues. This last gig of my career lasted 13 1/2 years, counting both full time and part-time.
Congratulations cadreamer2015! and welcome to this Undeniably Non-Corporate Non-Bureaucratic Retirement Roll Call 8-)

You're gonna love it! We have no bureaucracy or structure or rules or logistics or emails or phone calls - we just make it up as we go along :D We have no required or non-required ethics, computer security or any type of training at all - we just have LadyGeek :mrgreen:
cadreamer2015 wrote:Bogleheads advice was so very helpful when I was deciding to go from full-time to part-time 5 1/2 years ago. In that span of time the market has gone up 130% and I've delayed taking Social Security, so our retirement financial picture is much healthier than it would have been had I quite cold-turkey in October, 2015. Good luck to all future retirees!
Nice to hear how the Bogleheads helped you glide into retirement with a healthy retirement picture. Hanging up a career of 42 years is a big emotional time and we wish you all the best in your retirement transition and your many years of new adventures and fun!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Please sign me (us) up for July 6th, 2021 (at the age of 59)!!!!

Enough is enough and there's too many other things to do. I'll still be working 2 days a month until the end of 2022 to get 'part time' insurance at a rate of $600 a month (delaying COBRA of $1700 a month until then).

'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Johnsson wrote: Please sign me (us) up for July 6th, 2021 (at the age of 59)!!!!

Enough is enough and there's too many other things to do. I'll still be working 2 days a month until the end of 2022 to get 'part time' insurance at a rate of $600 a month (delaying COBRA of $1700 a month until then).

Hi Johnsson and welcome to this Magnificent Retirement Class - you're on the Roll Call :D

"Enough is enough and there's too many other things to do" - what an inspiring way to punch out of the rat race! And what are these other things you want to do? Sounds like you have a nice glide path into full retirement planned out, time to relax and plan and enjoy your free time without deadlines and stress.

We wish you and your wife many years of enjoyable time together in your new retirement phase - lots of fun, good times with family and friends, travel and new hobbies - and maybe even add pickleball and mountain biking 8-) :shock:
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Our DD's getting married (to a great guy), a canoe trip and two vacations in the first 3 months. Redoing our master bath immediately thereafter. Hopefully all at a putterer's pace!
'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
fposte

Post by fposte »

Sign me up for the class of ’21, please! I’ll be off the clock as of August 1 (and it seems clear I will actually have to do work on Saturday, July 31, so the split weekend isn’t just a formality). I’m 58 and am picking a great time to go workwise—I’m in higher ed and there are a lot of changes coming this fall that happily will not be my problem.

My pre-pandemic intention was to focus on travel, but between pandemic weariness and travel obstacles I’ll likely stick to shorter domestic outings at first, especially to look at and maybe buy art. I also want to get my sadly neglected garden in shape and do some house maintenance and upgrades, and to cook even on the weekdays. There are already noises about possibly hiring me back post-retirement, and at least for a while I am a firm NO.
walkindude

Post by walkindude »

I'm signing up!

Although I will continue to take small consulting jobs (I've been an electrical engineering consultant for over 20 years) if they're very fun and isolated, I consider myself done as of 3/23/21.

I will exercise (run, bike, hike, kayak, golf, stretch, and lift to name a few) and travel (kids, then domestically for a while, but hopefully internationally again in 2022 and beyond).

Thanks to the many members here who woke me up to the RMD tax bomb at 70/72 (I'll be 63 in July), IRMAA, Roth conversions and many other tax issues that made it much easier to pull the plug now.

This site is invaluable - Donate now!
staustin

Post by staustin »

reddison wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 am My time finally arrived at last! Friday, April 30 was my last day. I had been transitioning my work for the past couple of years but it felt really strange that last week when I was mostly clearing out files with knowledge that I'd no longer be going to work daily as I had for 40+ years. I will still be tied to my company for several years in a paid advisory capacity but with no real work requirements. It feels incredibly liberating!

I am definitely a planner and analyzer by nature and spent a lot of time trying to figure out all this retirement stuff. I have to give a shoutout to the Bogleheads who patiently answered all of my questions as I worked thru my financial plans for retirement. This week I transferred my 401k to a Vanguard rollover IRA. Unfortunately, my 401k plan didn't permit transfers in kind so they had to send me a paper check. It was well into the 7 figures so it made me nervous, and the fedex driver left it on our front porch. It blew into the bushes where my wife found it - ugh! But from there it was quite simple doing an e-deposit into Vanguard with my iphone. I won't be able to reinvest until next week. Based on a number of things I learned on this forum, I took a number of steps - I contributed some greatly appreciated stock to a Donor Advised Fund at the end of last year. As a consequence, I received a large refund which fully pays my taxes for 2021. And I have started doing Roth rollovers up to the top of the 22% bracket, which keeps us safe from IRMAA. I'll do this each year until age 72 and RMDs.

Next week we are off on our first post-retirement trip. We are taking a 2 week driving trip up and down the east coast to see family and friends in PA, SC and FL. We have 6 stops altogether, 2 for hiking and 4 to visit friends and family. And we have rented a house out west for 6 months in the Fall so we can spend some extended time with our son and his family.

So many thanks to the Bogleheads for all the great advice and congrats to all of you Class of 2021 retirees!
Inspirational post!! :sharebeer
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Congrats to all who have joined the "Retired" demographic (or are about to).

Those looking for like-minded perspectives and tips, are cordially invited to get involved with the new "Retired" Life Stage Virtual Chapter (one of four devoted to various stages in the investing life cycle). Our "Master Thread" is here... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=349254, and includes details, plus an RSVP/Survey link, for our first meeting (on Zoom), which will be Tue, June 8th, starting 8 PM (EDT).

Our Initial Discussion Topic will be... I'm From the Retirement Class of "XXXX" and These Are Some Lessons I've Learned... with open Q&A to follow, addressing whatever else is on participants minds.

We hope many BH retirees will join the discussion, and also suggest future virtual meeting topics and guest speakers.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
journey

Post by journey »

Long-time lurker here. The last day of work for DH and me (ages 55 and 56) was 1/19/2021. It was fun to resign at the same time so we could begin our new chapter together. We were FIRE people from our first paychecks, well before we heard the term 'FIRE.' That allowed us to walk away from high-stress megacorp jobs (different companies, both in IT) and we are now happier, healthier, and busier than ever, savoring every moment of retirement with zero regret.

Thank you, BH community, for being a tremendous source of information and inspiration!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Johnsson wrote: Our DD's getting married (to a great guy), a canoe trip and two vacations in the first 3 months. Redoing our master bath immediately thereafter. Hopefully all at a putterer's pace!
Great plans! Have fun at the wedding (I mean LOTS of fun :D ), enjoy your canoe trip and vacations, and good luck with your master bath re-do. Remember, first it's the master bath, then it's the guest bath, then hey, why not the kitchen!?!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

fposte wrote: Sign me up for the class of ’21, please! I’ll be off the clock as of August 1 (and it seems clear I will actually have to do work on Saturday, July 31, so the split weekend isn’t just a formality). I’m 58 and am picking a great time to go workwise—I’m in higher ed and there are a lot of changes coming this fall that happily will not be my problem.
OK, we signed you up for this Incredible Retirement Class of 2021, fposte! Sounds like a good time to retire job-wise and we're happy to hear you're looking forward to it. Welcome to the sunny side of the street :D
fposte wrote:My pre-pandemic intention was to focus on travel, but between pandemic weariness and travel obstacles I’ll likely stick to shorter domestic outings at first, especially to look at and maybe buy art . . .
You could hang this valuable oil painting in your family room to make a visual statement that you ARE retired and enjoying it 8-)

fposte wrote: I also want to get my sadly neglected garden in shape and do some house maintenance and upgrades and to cook even on the weekdays.
Ooohh the never ending maintenance and upgrades and neglected gardens. We're very impressed with your ambitious plans - all the Joys of Home Ownership :mrgreen: The great thing, however, is that you'll get yourself into awesome shape and your home will look gorgeous.
fposte wrote: There are already noises about possibly hiring me back post-retirement, and at least for a while I am a firm NO.
How much will they pay you? LOL?! Hold out for as much :moneybag as you can.

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement, fposte, and we hope you get to travel like you wanted and that you enjoy all your free time doing what you want to do. Let us know what you're cooking :D
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:08 pm
Johnsson wrote: Our DD's getting married (to a great guy), a canoe trip and two vacations in the first 3 months. Redoing our master bath immediately thereafter. Hopefully all at a putterer's pace!
Great plans! Have fun at the wedding (I mean LOTS of fun :D ), enjoy your canoe trip and vacations, and good luck with your master bath re-do. Remember, first it's the master bath, then it's the guest bath, then hey, why not the kitchen!?!
Kitchen's done. The whole interior probably needs to be painted... :annoyed
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

BTW, for those newly retired (or not so newly :D ), if you're looking for something new to do, consider volunteering to help with your Local BH Chapter, or one of the new Life Stage Virtual Chapters. It's a great way to share your experience, and help educate the next generation of BH investors. If you don't have a local Chapter, consider starting one. You'll get LOTS of support from the "powers that be" here!
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)