Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Miriam2 »

JediMisty wrote: I also don't have a firm date as I might get downsized when the Federal contract my megacorp pays me with changes hands (or stays in the hands of my megacorp) in the Spring. Since I will be 63.5 in September, I'll use the last working day before my planned "retirement vacation" of October 8th, 2021. Already have a two bedroom place booked in Cozumel where I spent my last vacation in October, 2019. Luckily I got in one extra dive that week and achieved my dream of 500 lifetime dives! There is more travel as well as leaving the central NJ area for sunnier weather ahead.
HI JediMisty and welcome to this Retirement Roll Call! When you know your date, we'll simply re-boot you 8-)

Wow! 500 lifetime dives! That's an impressive number of dives, congratulations :beer

We wish you all the best as you wind down your good work and prepare for the exciting retirement adventure ahead :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Exchme wrote: Feb 15 for me. I've been one-more-year for three years now as the money is good, so stayed chained to the desk. But now it's time to relax and smell the roses. DW's job is also wrapping up and we want some time to spend with the family. We can see little ailments starting to pile up and realize that at 60 & 61, we aren't getting any younger and trading the time we have left for more money when we have enough already would be silly.

So count me in!
Exchme, thank you for your nice post and welcome to this fabulous upcoming 2021 Retirement Roll Call!

No more "chained to the desk" - you're going to be freeee to set your own agenda! We're counting you IN :D You have a great rationale for retirement, makes perfect sense, and you'll really enjoy the sunny side of the street.

Best wishes for a long and wonderful retirement, full of lots of family and fun and new adventures :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Please add me to the list. I was eligible and ready in the fall of 2019, stayed on until March of 2020 and then as we know, some of us feared the big unknowns associated with COVID.

Nearly a year later, we can see things a little more clearly...so I gave my notice yesterday, retiring in March 2021, not too early - age 60.

It's time. More to say later...just relieved and happy at the moment.
Hi Barefootgirl! We have added you to this great and growing Retirement Roll Call for 2021 :happy

We hear you on the big unknowns associated with COVID - nice to know you could handle it and then find the PUNCH OUT button 8-)

We're looking forward to your "more to say later" - Bogleheads have interesting retirement paths. Meanwhile, you only have three months to get all that paperwork together, your office decluttered and desk wiped out, and then out the door with a whoosh!
:sharebeer
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Drum roll. I did it.

I was very happy as a professor for 35 years, but it's time for rebirth, renaissance, reawakening, rejuvenation! I initially was planning to work until January 2022, but Covid accelerated changes in the job and economics of universities. January 31, 2021 will be my last day on the payroll. I will be 69.5, not exactly an early retirement.
reddison

Post by reddison »

I am part way there. Yesterday was my wife's last day of work. She has officially joined the retirement ranks! I am working 4 more months. I originally set that date for health care continuation purposes (for her) but I don't really need that any more since we just added retiree health care at my company. But I'm going to stick with that plan to add some more to savings and since it will probably take that long to be vaccinated. Happy New Year to everyone!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClassOf21 wrote: By June 18, 2021 is my date and will be 51 then. Was originally planning to retire in early 2020 but decided to extend at work to ride out the pandemic. Did a two month trial (extended vacation) in 2019 and it was fantastic. DW will continue working as she enjoys the social aspects and positive feedback she receives from her job.
Ok ClassOf21! Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class and you're on the list!
ClassOf21 wrote:I will be retiring to hiking, biking, camping, traveling, fruit trees, stepped up math homework checking and a long list of projects. I attribute portfolio success mostly to behavior but have also accumulated a long list of investing mistakes over the past 30 years that could make for an interesting post here on BH.
Love your retirement plans! Please keep us posted as you move into this next great phase of your life!

We're especially interested in that long list of investing mistakes over the past 30 years :D Does it include investing in Lucent at the high in 1998-1999, then forgetting you owned that baby until 2007? (not me, yes husband :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beernutz wrote: I guess if I post it here it will be on the internet and therefore it has to be true.
Yes, that's the truth :D Although we can re-boot you if your plans change . . .
beernutz wrote:I'm planning on a 6.1.2021 retirement date when I'll be 62 though I haven't told a soul at work or even all of my immediate family, and probably won't until I officially pull the trigger.
That's OK, we won't tell anyone 8-) Big surprises are nice.
beernutz wrote:I have to notify the state pension system between 30 and 90 days before my retirement date and I just found out that more system employees retire 6.1 than all the other months combined so it will likely be a white knuckle event.
Interesting. Well, just get your paperwork in order and send it off before the line forms :D Then all you have to do is put together your retirement plans and enjoy the glidepath into your next adventure. We hope everything goes smoothingly and that your retirement is everything you want it to be.
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: I’ll be 49.5 when I retire in a week. :D
Yikes! That's tomorrow! Congratulations Wanderingwheelz and welcome to this New Year Retirement Class! So far, you're our youngest retiree :D

Well that's a long retirement ahead of you - what do you have planned for all that time?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

I am very happy to share that my wife, let's call her Satin McCue, finished up a 38 year career with a local municipality and joins me in retirement as of today. We are 59/61 and live in Florida.

Her COLA'd pension (joint life) provides a very nice base to our retirement spending and covers our normal spending needs. The knowledge that we have gained since I found this site in late 2015 and took initial action on in January 2016 allowed us to establish a sane and sensible financial plan. We would not be ready for retirement were it not for the knowledge gained here and then put into action. Our projected spending in retirement exceeds that of the past few years with a significant amount allocated for home projects, travel and fun. We don't plan to take SS until 68/70 based upon our well thought through plan. That plan is subject to change as the future reveals itself.

We also established a DAF (Donor Advised Fund) this year to cover our charitable giving for the next 8 years at which time QCD's (Qualified Charitable Distributions) will be used for all of our charitable giving. Doing so allows us to be much more tax efficient with our annual spending going forward as we no longer itemize (except for 2020 of course). Due to some very coincidental good timing of funding our DAF (just 2 days after the March bottom) it had a very nice runup in value and we were able to support dear friends that are missionaries (and in their mid 70s) to fully fund a fresh water well in a remote village in Malawi. Those that live there will no longer have to walk long distances to get safe and reliable water ... the simple things that we take for granted.

Were it not for Covid we would soon be leaving for a two week New Zealand Cruise in a very nice suite to celebrate; but that will just have to wait. In the meantime we are already working together on home improvement projects both inside and outside the house and started an online photography course. We will spend a few months out the year (spaced out) at our North Carolina mountain home and will now have more time to explore and enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Beginning the start of the summer we became serious about eating right and exercising as we targeted the end of year retirement. We have both shed in excess of 25% of our body weight since that day and exercise regularly now. We eat a healthy, tasty and satisfying diet but also burn lots and lots of calories. It is a simple formula. This morning we did a 4 mile walk in less than an hour without any exertion. What a difference from where we were on June 1.

It's been quite a year in so many ways and we look forward to what the future holds.

Silk and Satin McCue

Cheers
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:41 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: I’ll be 49.5 when I retire in a week. :D
Yikes! That's tomorrow! Congratulations Wanderingwheelz and welcome to this New Year Retirement Class! So far, you're our youngest retiree :D

Well that's a long retirement ahead of you - what do you have planned for all that time?
Yes, day one is just about complete.

I don’t have any plans other than do more of the things I’ve always enjoyed doing when I wasn’t working. If that sounds like a bad answer, I doubt I’d have a better one if I retired at 67!

It’d hard to believe I’m the youngest, especially with the year we just had where so many people lost their jobs as were forced into some hard choices. But I guess I’m younger than I feel. :)
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Arabesque wrote: Drum roll. I did it.
Way to go, Arabesque! You're in the class! Only one more month - yikes! get those retirement papers in :D
Arabesque wrote:I was very happy as a professor for 35 years, but it's time for rebirth, renaissance, reawakening, rejuvenation! I initially was planning to work until January 2022, but Covid accelerated changes in the job and economics of universities. January 31, 2021 will be my last day on the payroll. I will be 69.5, not exactly an early retirement.
Ah! Rebirth. Renaissance. Reawakening. Rejuvenation. Sounds divine :happy

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement! Please let us know how you plan to spend your Reawakening and Rejuvenation - and we're interested in the Renaissance of a newly decluttered garage and closets and kitchen drawers 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

reddison wrote: I am part way there. Yesterday was my wife's last day of work. She has officially joined the retirement ranks! I am working 4 more months. I originally set that date for health care continuation purposes (for her) but I don't really need that any more since we just added retiree health care at my company. But I'm going to stick with that plan to add some more to savings and since it will probably take that long to be vaccinated. Happy New Year to everyone!
Thank you for the update, reddison. Let us know if you need to be re-booted. Getting excited! Happy New Year!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

It's 2021 already, thank goodness, and our Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021 is getting active :D

"Good Morning, my Friends, . . .
A lot will happen in the coming twelve months.
It's a perilous world out there, so get your asset allocation right - for you - and then just Stay the Course.
Best. Always. JACK"

-- Jack Bogle, Letter to the Bogleheads, 10/19/2011, www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84344

Already Graduated!! - 3 Graduates - Way to go! :beer
01 Jan - WanderingWheelz (49.5)
01 Jan - Silk McCue (61)
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)

Our upcoming graduating class - starting to get very exciting!
08 Jan - Shackleton (53)
31 Jan - Arabesque (69.5)
__ Jan - Taz (57)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)
01 Feb - ClassOf2021 (63)
15 Feb - Exchme (60)

__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)
__ ___ - Barefootgirl (60)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)

01 May - reddison (62)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

01 Jun - beernutz (62)
11 Jun - trueson1 (65)
18 Jun - ClassOf21 (51)

01 Jul - KESP (64)
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
31 Jul - radiowave
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)
__ Jul - beyou

20 Sep - goblue100

08 Oct - JediMisty (63)
__ Oct - MDfan (60)

__ ___ - ClaycordJCA
__ ___ - formerlybroke (60)

The Infinity Retirement Class 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020/2021 . . . to infinity and beyond!! . . .)

Retirement is an exciting time! Please let us know if you wish to be included in this 2021 Retirement Class :D

Anyone who remembers punch cards or punched tape ==>> IT'S TIME TO RETIRE!
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:52 am [
Arabesque wrote:I was very happy as a professor for 35 years, but it's time for rebirth, renaissance, reawakening, rejuvenation! I initially was planning to work until January 2022, but Covid accelerated changes in the job and economics of universities. January 31, 2021 will be my last day on the payroll. I will be 69.5, not exactly an early retirement.
Ah! Rebirth. Renaissance. Reawakening. Rejuvenation. Sounds divine :happy

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement! Please let us know how you plan to spend your Reawakening and Rejuvenation - and we're interested in the Renaissance of a newly decluttered garage and closets and kitchen drawers 8-)
I’m afraid the R’s sound better than the truth. I’m going to finish writing an academic book while waiting for the end of Covid. Then I will travel, mostly Asia.
reddison

Post by reddison »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 am I am very happy to share that my wife, let's call her Satin McCue, finished up a 38 year career with a local municipality and joins me in retirement as of today. We are 59/61 and live in Florida.

Her COLA'd pension (joint life) provides a very nice base to our retirement spending and covers our normal spending needs. The knowledge that we have gained since I found this site in late 2015 and took initial action on in January 2016 allowed us to establish a sane and sensible financial plan. We would not be ready for retirement were it not for the knowledge gained here and then put into action. Our projected spending in retirement exceeds that of the past few years with a significant amount allocated for home projects, travel and fun. We don't plan to take SS until 68/70 based upon our well thought through plan. That plan is subject to change as the future reveals itself.

We also established a DAF (Donor Advised Fund) this year to cover our charitable giving for the next 8 years at which time QCD's (Qualified Charitable Distributions) will be used for all of our charitable giving. Doing so allows us to be much more tax efficient with our annual spending going forward as we no longer itemize (except for 2020 of course). Due to some very coincidental good timing of funding our DAF (just 2 days after the March bottom) it had a very nice runup in value and we were able to support dear friends that are missionaries (and in their mid 70s) to fully fund a fresh water well in a remote village in Malawi. Those that live there will no longer have to walk long distances to get safe and reliable water ... the simple things that we take for granted.

Were it not for Covid we would soon be leaving for a two week New Zealand Cruise in a very nice suite to celebrate; but that will just have to wait. In the meantime we are already working together on home improvement projects both inside and outside the house and started an online photography course. We will spend a few months out the year (spaced out) at our North Carolina mountain home and will now have more time to explore and enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Beginning the start of the summer we became serious about eating right and exercising as we targeted the end of year retirement. We have both shed in excess of 25% of our body weight since that day and exercise regularly now. We eat a healthy, tasty and satisfying diet but also burn lots and lots of calories. It is a simple formula. This morning we did a 4 mile walk in less than an hour without any exertion. What a difference from where we were on June 1.

It's been quite a year in so many ways and we look forward to what the future holds.

Silk and Satin McCue

Cheers
Congratulations to you and your wife! My wife and I are just a few months behind you and are taking some of the same steps as you (DAF, travel plans, etc.). We have always been into daily exercise but are wanting to clean up the eating too. Any wisdom you can share on the eating plan that helped you lose so much body weight?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

reddison wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 am ...

Congratulations to you and your wife! My wife and I are just a few months behind you and are taking some of the same steps as you (DAF, travel plans, etc.). We have always been into daily exercise but are wanting to clean up the eating too. Any wisdom you can share on the eating plan that helped you lose so much body weight?
We started out doing what we had done in the past which was a low carb diet and some modest aerobic exercise (walking). We weighed ourselves each morning and recorded the weight. We did well in the first month and had some big losses which can easily come when you have a lot to lose.

One month in we signed up for a 2 week trial of Noom and started tracking our food consumption in their app. We made the switch from low carb because we realized that what matters most is calories burned versus calories consumed and we wanted to have a more varied diet. This program helped ingrain in our brains the concept of caloric density and which foods we could have lots of and less of in order to achieve our goals. We also notched up our aerobic exercise to burn more calories and our Apple Watches automatically fed the data into the Apple Health app and Noom so we could always see where we stood from a caloric consumption and burn rate each day. We did not utilize the group or other coaching aspects that are available at Noom which can be a critical success factor for many. At the end of the 2 week trial on Noom we cancelled the program as we were not using the coaching aspects. We were still able to continue to use all of the aspects of that app that we needed. We were able to eat very well on this plan as nothing was off limits. We also notched up our amount of exercise each day and with that came stamina. One big change for me was realizing that I could be satisfied with a smaller portion of protein (pork, beef, fish, shrimp, scallops etc) where in the past I would tend to overeat those high caloric density items.

The bottom line is that most days we burned more calories than we consumed and as a result we lost weight. That truly is the key. Doing this as a couple helped as we were both in it together and we could celebrate success and encourage each other.

Wishing you the best in your journey.

Cheers
reddison

Post by reddison »

Silk McCue wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am
reddison wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 am ...
We started out doing what we had done in the past which was a low carb diet and some modest aerobic exercise (walking). We weighed ourselves each morning and recorded the weight. We did well in the first month and had some big losses which can easily come when you have a lot to lose.

The bottom line is that most days we burned more calories than we consumed and as a result we lost weight. That truly is the key. Doing this as a couple helped as we were both in it together and we could celebrate success and encourage each other.

Wishing you the best in your journey.

Cheers
Thx for the ideas Silk McCue. For us, I'm certain portion control and food choices will be important, as we have the exercise part covered. Enjoy your retirement!
beyou

Post by beyou »

While not retired yet, COVID gave me a taste of being home and I too was able to lose weight.
Just have to make sure you keep more fruits/veggies in the house and less desserts, less trips out for pizza etc.
I made sure to get outdoor exercise every day weather permitting, and indoor when I must.
Lost half of my target, working on the other half now.

That said since I am still working, not yet having so much free time that I need to explore hobbies yet.
I may work part time after retiring in a family bus just to keep busy, but not at the expense of my health (mental and physical).
Whatever feels right is what I'll do when I get out of my 3 decade plus career in a high pressure industry.
CompassRose

Post by CompassRose »

Hello everyone!
After several very tough years personally and the stress of the COVID pandemic, I have decided to stop working my healthcare job. My goal is to leave in the spring of 2021, before June. My mother passed in 2019 after several years of decline, my sister unexpectedly passed 6 months later, and my perennially unemployed brother seems to think my job is to take care of him financially. Though 2021 will be challenging, I have decided to rid myself of excess stress and become the person I want to be. Gardening, woodwork, lots of junk purging, more exercise, and travel are in the near future waiting for me. I recently turned 61. I could have saved a bit more by working longer, but I discovered a wonderful word - ENOUGH. I'm already writing my letter of resignation rough drafts. :)
:D
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

CompassRose wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 am Hello everyone!
After several very tough years personally and the stress of the COVID pandemic, I have decided to stop working my healthcare job. My goal is to leave in the spring of 2021, before June. My mother passed in 2019 after several years of decline, my sister unexpectedly passed 6 months later, and my perennially unemployed brother seems to think my job is to take care of him financially. Though 2021 will be challenging, I have decided to rid myself of excess stress and become the person I want to be. Gardening, woodwork, lots of junk purging, more exercise, and travel are in the near future waiting for me. I recently turned 61. I could have saved a bit more by working longer, but I discovered a wonderful word - ENOUGH. I'm already writing my letter of resignation rough drafts. :)
Congrats!
Being wrong compounds forever.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Just wanted to report that I officially graduated to retirement on Jan 8th and it’s been as wonderful as I expected. I’d post more but need to play fetch with the dog, then go xc skiing. :D
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
birdog

Post by birdog »

I've penciled in a retirement date for this November. I am 48 years old and and am scared to leave a good paying job but my health is more important and I know that I have enough saved.
datadatum

Post by datadatum »

Feb 15, 2021 will be my "graduation" date. I couldn't be more excited. 50 y/o, and looking forward to what comes next.
birdog

Post by birdog »

Shackleton wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:43 am Just wanted to report that I officially graduated to retirement on Jan 8th and it’s been as wonderful as I expected. I’d post more but need to play fetch with the dog, then go xc skiing. :D
That's the kind of news I like to hear! Congratulations!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It's time for me to put my name in here.

No specific date yet. DW has become tired of doing her job (from home). I'm working from home and could continue. With my spread sheet now showing us having 52.09 times spending in liquid assets, I know we can. Tentatively, once Covid is gone, and we can do something besides.....nothing, we'll hopefully call it quits. I've only just started talking with DW about this. My practical thoughts are looking at the brass handcuffs. I have RSUs worth about ten grand each mid May and mid August and probably every quarter going forward.

Both our kids, while still living here are working full time. Older son owns his own cars. Yes, cars...an 04 Honda S2000 and a brand new Subaru STi.

So at this point, I'm thinking Fall of 2021 is the most likely time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am It's time for me to put my name in here.

No specific date yet. DW has become tired of doing her job (from home). I'm working from home and could continue. With my spread sheet now showing us having 52.09 times spending in liquid assets, I know we can. Tentatively, once Covid is gone, and we can do something besides.....nothing, we'll hopefully call it quits. I've only just started talking with DW about this. My practical thoughts are looking at the brass handcuffs. I have RSUs worth about ten grand each mid May and mid August and probably every quarter going forward.

Both our kids, while still living here are working full time. Older son owns his own cars. Yes, cars...an 04 Honda S2000 and a brand new Subaru STi.

Welcome aboard! And might I add your son has excellent taste in cars. I hope he never sells that S2000. One of the finest roadsters ever made.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am It's time for me to put my name in here.
Can you see the Pru?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:25 pm
Can you see the Pru?
I'd have to go to the back of my property and climb the tallest tree.....then, maybe.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Mirian, push me back to Aug 31 . . . hard date since I told my boss the other day, he seemed happy for me but it's time. At least I'll have one more month for tax-deferred savings. I feel a bit sad since I'm official now. Been in my profession 40 years. Looking forward to lots of things and working on retirement home transition.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Silk McCue wrote: I am very happy to share that my wife, let's call her Satin McCue, finished up a 38 year career with a local municipality and joins me in retirement as of today. We are 59/61 and live in Florida.
Congratulations! Welcome to the sunny side of the street and to this wonderful retirement class!
Silk McCue wrote:Her COLA'd pension (joint life) provides a very nice base to our retirement spending and covers our normal spending needs. The knowledge that we have gained since I found this site in late 2015 and took initial action on in January 2016 allowed us to establish a sane and sensible financial plan. We would not be ready for retirement were it not for the knowledge gained here and then put into action. Our projected spending in retirement exceeds that of the past few years with a significant amount allocated for home projects, travel and fun. We don't plan to take SS until 68/70 based upon our well thought through plan. That plan is subject to change as the future reveals itself.
Thank you for sharing your financial path to retirement :happy
Silk McCue wrote:We also established a DAF (Donor Advised Fund) this year to cover our charitable giving for the next 8 years at which time QCD's (Qualified Charitable Distributions) will be used for all of our charitable giving. Doing so allows us to be much more tax efficient with our annual spending going forward as we no longer itemize (except for 2020 of course). Due to some very coincidental good timing of funding our DAF (just 2 days after the March bottom) it had a very nice runup in value and we were able to support dear friends that are missionaries (and in their mid 70s) to fully fund a fresh water well in a remote village in Malawi. Those that live there will no longer have to walk long distances to get safe and reliable water ... the simple things that we take for granted.
This is so wonderful to read. How true - the simple things we take for granted. Appreciate so much you sharing this story :happy
Silk McCue wrote:Were it not for Covid we would soon be leaving for a two week New Zealand Cruise in a very nice suite to celebrate; but that will just have to wait. In the meantime we are already working together on home improvement projects both inside and outside the house and started an online photography course. We will spend a few months out the year (spaced out) at our North Carolina mountain home and will now have more time to explore and enjoy all that the area has to offer.
Nice plans! Please let us know how it goes!
Silk McCue wrote:Beginning the start of the summer we became serious about eating right and exercising as we targeted the end of year retirement. We have both shed in excess of 25% of our body weight since that day and exercise regularly now. We eat a healthy, tasty and satisfying diet but also burn lots and lots of calories. It is a simple formula. This morning we did a 4 mile walk in less than an hour without any exertion. What a difference from where we were on June 1.
Way to go! Quite impressive!
Thank you for sharing your journey and plans! We hope you both have a long and healthy fabulous retirement full of new adventures and warm memories :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandering_aimlessly

Post by wandering_aimlessly »

Hard to believe it is this time already...I'll be 55 on June 4th as I leave the workforce - both parents had health issues by 65 retirement so I always knew I would be leaving earlier. Fortunately the company gave me a job for the last year that was a perfect stepping stone to retirement- and I really liked it. Already have 2 cruises scheduled for second half of 2021 but probably need to start planning 2022 if I am to get ahead of the crowd...
Djwil296

Post by Djwil296 »

I’ve been a lurker on the forum for sometime. Finally joined and hope to participate more. I’ll be joining the retirement ranks February 12 at 57 1/2. After almost 33 years in hotel management 2020 was the toughest. Time to take a step back and enjoy life!
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

I might have just added myself to to the class of 2021.

Resigned from Mega last Wednesday. I will be 64 in a few months. Gave them a March 1 date, Megacorp countered - end of year. Told them that's a little self centered and asymmetric on their part and we will negotiate next week. They are not doing well with the lose of control. Front loaded 401k contribution to fully fund 2021 by March 15th so it's possible April 1 will be the date.

After having run model after model like most of us appear to do, from Monte Carlo's to multiples of current expenses and everything in between, the consensus is I have maybe have a 1% chance of running out of money by the time I am 89, with an 84% chance of dying!

3 weeks ago I realized I am trying to solve the wrong problem. Going broke isn't my problem, dying is.

Don't have another new job, don't really care. Might have an opportunity for some consulting/advisory work on my terms for scotch money, hobbies, some travel, etc. Could end up being Coast Fire?

The personal liberation over the past 3 days is remarkable.
Gardening Dog

Post by Gardening Dog »

First post, although I have been lurking for years, enough to get our finances in order. Thanks for all the help here! I retired from Megacorp on January 8 after 45 years. Cannot believe I stayed all those years except I really liked the work. the bureaucracy was out of control by the time I left. DH retired 18 months ago. I still feel like I'm just on vacation, but I'm sure that will change soon. Cleaning out years of stuff in my house and will travel when Covid restrictions lift. Worst part is paying so much more for medical, what with Medicare and Medgap and Part D-- had a Cadillac health care plan so was spoiled, although company does provide some Health Retirement benefits for both of us. Glad to be in retirement class of 2021!
Last edited by Gardening Dog on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Gardening Dog wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:18 pm First post, although I have been lurking for years, enough to get our finances in order. Thanks for all the help here! I retired from Megacorp on January 8 after 45 years. Cannot believe I stayed all those years except I really liked the work. the bureaucracy was out of control by the time I left. DH retired 18 months ago. I still feel like I'm just on vacation, but I'm sure that will change soon. Cleaning out years of stuff in my house and will travel when Covid restrictions lift. Worst part is paying so much more for medical, what with Medicare and Medgap and Part D-- had a Cadillac health care plan so was spoiled, although company does provide some Health Retirement benefits for both of us. Glad to be in retirement class of 2021!
Welcome to Bogleheads with your first post and congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy.

Cheers
Siaigi

Post by Siaigi »

I'm starting to smell my retirement, even though I haven't decided on a specific date yet. It could be September of this year! See you soon! :sharebeer

Is there any other Italian in the group?
Taz

Post by Taz »

Miriam2 - Please revise my date to mid-February. Best laid plans of mice and men ....
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Unhewnstone

Post by Unhewnstone »

Hi! First time poster! Found this site after reading the Boglehead Guide to Retirement Planning. Will be retiring April 2021 at the ripe old age of 55 after 35 years in corporate America, mostly in insurance. Still not sure what I want to be when I officially grow up, although still want to be a contributing member of society and hopefully a blessing to others!
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

I'm still on track for Feb 15, will put in my notice Monday. DW is retiring at the end of February, but only works part time, so we each have 8 workdays left and are high-fiving each time we knock out one more day. Countdown is getting exciting now!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Shackleton wrote: Just wanted to report that I officially graduated to retirement on Jan 8th and it’s been as wonderful as I expected. I’d post more but need to play fetch with the dog, then go xc skiing. :D
Big congratulations Shackleton! Welcome to the sunny side of the street :D

Playing fetch with your dog and cross-country skiing sound wonderful! Please let us know how your retirement days go as time moves on and what new experiences you found. We wish you all the best for a long exciting retirement full of family and friends and lots of relaxation :D
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 am
Shackleton wrote: Just wanted to report that I officially graduated to retirement on Jan 8th and it’s been as wonderful as I expected. I’d post more but need to play fetch with the dog, then go xc skiing. :D
Big congratulations Shackleton! Welcome to the sunny side of the street :D

Playing fetch with your dog and cross-country skiing sound wonderful! Please let us know how your retirement days go as time moves on and what new experiences you found. We wish you all the best for a long exciting retirement full of family and friends and lots of relaxation :D
Thanks! My new digital piano was delivered last week, so I’ve been working hard at both my guitar and piano now (2-3 hours/day) along with the puppy training, xc skiing and my volunteering. I definitely fall into the “I don’t know how I ever had time for a full-time job” camp!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Shackleton wrote: Thanks! My new digital piano was delivered last week, so I’ve been working hard at both my guitar and piano now (2-3 hours/day) along with the puppy training, xc skiing and my volunteering. I definitely fall into the “I don’t know how I ever had time for a full-time job” camp!
Nice! and if you can play THIS - you've won the piano game 8-)
Nash22

Post by Nash22 »

Hey all, I joined the class January 5th at the ripe age of 60 after 36 years with the same organization. It was a great ride. DW joins this this Thursday and is a year younger at 59. We know we are ready.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

1-Feb-21 was formal retirement date from megaoil corp.

43 years in the Oilpatch....seems just a blink of the eye ago I was a 18 year old green and wormy "Roustabout" at the ARCO Turnertown Gas Plant in deep East Texas in 1978....

As with all of us with our individual drama's - there was many twists and turns along the Trail to reach retirement.

I can say for sure that "Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go".....

Sincere thanks to the Bogleheads community for the advice and guidance offered to help up prepare for this new Chapter of Life.

Sincerely, gamboolman & ms gamboolgal...
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: . . . . I may work part time after retiring in a family bus just to keep busy, but not at the expense of my health (mental and physical).
Whatever feels right is what I'll do when I get out of my 3 decade plus career in a high pressure industry.
Appreciate the emotional wisdom of these thoughts, beyou :happy

"Enjoy the feeling that work is finally over and you can enjoy doing what you want from then on even though you may have no idea what that would be. You may like waking up in the morning without any goals to achieve. And even if you have your goals, no one will hold you accountable for not achieving them. For many who retire later, retirement may be the kind of singularity in your life you always thought it would be."
--- Boglehead invest65
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CompassRose wrote: Hello everyone!
Congratulations, CompassRose, and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!- you're on this splendid list!

We all genuinely appreciate your service in healthcare. Retirement time comes, however, and it's good to recognize it and take advantage of the opportunity. Looks like you have a good idea and good timing!
CompassRose wrote:I have decided to rid myself of excess stress and become the person I want to be. Gardening, woodwork, lots of junk purging, more exercise, and travel are in the near future waiting for me. I recently turned 61. I could have saved a bit more by working longer, but I discovered a wonderful word - ENOUGH. I'm already writing my letter of resignation rough drafts. :)
Thanks for sharing your goals - I think it's great to take the reins of your future. Gives momentum and direction to each day and really, you've worked hard for this time to de-stress and relax. Love your plans :happy

. . . about that "lots of junk purging" - please report back how that goes :P

We wish you all the best as you plan for your retirement and enjoy all the new adventures open to you :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

birdog wrote: I've penciled in a retirement date for this November. I am 48 years old and and am scared to leave a good paying job but my health is more important and I know that I have enough saved.
Hi birdog! Ok, you're penciled in for November 2021 and let us know the date or if you need re-booting 8-) Welcome to the class!

At 48 years old, you'll be in the running for the Very Coveted Award as our youngest retiree. What are you going to do for the next 48 years? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans :happy We wish you a long and happy retirement WYOS {with your own schedule}, many new adventures, and good health all the way around :beer
birdog

Post by birdog »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:17 am
birdog wrote: I've penciled in a retirement date for this November. I am 48 years old and and am scared to leave a good paying job but my health is more important and I know that I have enough saved.
Hi birdog! Ok, you're penciled in for November 2021 and let us know the date or if you need re-booting 8-) Welcome to the class!

At 48 years old, you'll be in the running for the Very Coveted Award as our youngest retiree. What are you going to do for the next 48 years? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans :happy We wish you a long and happy retirement WYOS {with your own schedule}, many new adventures, and good health all the way around :beer
Thank you, Miriam. :beer

Technically, I can walk away whenever I like but it would take a month or so to help set up my customers with a new supplier. It isn't required or compensated but I want to take care of the customers that have supported me and this process length is indeterminate. A date I'm shooting for to be officially free is Nov 1 of this year. I'm still struggling a bit regarding walking away from a high paying profession but recent changes have made the job borderline intolerable.

My general plans going forward are to take better care of myself and adopt a more stress-free lifestyle. Much more travel and investing more time into my children will be priorities.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

birdog wrote: Technically, I can walk away whenever I like but it would take a month or so to help set up my customers with a new supplier. It isn't required or compensated but I want to take care of the customers that have supported me and this process length is indeterminate. A date I'm shooting for to be officially free is Nov 1 of this year. I'm still struggling a bit regarding walking away from a high paying profession but recent changes have made the job borderline intolerable.
Ah yes, the High Pay Profession vs. the Borderline Intolerable Job condundrum :annoyed
birdog wrote:My general plans going forward are to take better care of myself and adopt a more stress-free lifestyle. Much more travel and investing more time into my children will be priorities.
Now I'm getting weepy! What else is life for?! We wish you nothing but the best and please let us know how everything goes :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: Mirian, push me back to Aug 31 . . . hard date since I told my boss the other day, he seemed happy for me but it's time. At least I'll have one more month for tax-deferred savings. I feel a bit sad since I'm official now. Been in my profession 40 years. Looking forward to lots of things and working on retirement home transition.
Ok will do. And I understand fully the sadness of leaving a profession after so many years. All that experience and ability, now poof :( But time moves on and the time to retire comes whether we want it to or not. We're happy you're looking forward to the new phase of your life - and it won't take long before you're gonna be sooooooo happy to be retired and on your own time :D