MEMORIAL DAY

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

Please remember the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

A Memorial Day Tribute

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “And never forget the important role of luck in your life. Never, never, never, never say, ‘I did it all myself.’ Nobody does it all themselves. And when somebody has the temerity to tell me they did, I say to them: ‘That’s wonderful. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anybody who did it all themselves, but could I ask you one question: How did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?’"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Triple digit golfer

Re: MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Wishing you a peaceful and happy Memorial Day, Taylor. Thank you for your service to our great country.
DG99999

Post by DG99999 »

With all due respect to Winston Churchill and the RAF, might it more broadly be said . . .

ALWAYS WILL so much be owed by so many to so few.
I am not a financial professional. My posts are only my opinion on the topic. You need to do your own due diligence and consult with a professional when addressing your financial questions.
DorchesterMa

Post by DorchesterMa »

Taylor,
Thank you for your service to our wonderful country and thank you for the investing advise which allows me to sleep well at night!
God bless you and all our veterans and all members of the armed services.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Happy Memorial Day everyone. Let's remember those who died in service to our nation.
A fool and his money are good for business.
rossington

Post by rossington »

God Bless you Taylor and all of your Brothers who fought and payed the ultimate sacrifice and those who were fortunate enough to return home to a safer and more secure world because of your combined valiant efforts. We remember and salute all of our Veterans past and present today and everyday. Whenever and wherever throughout or nation's history they have never wavered in answering the call to duty. Our gratitude goes beyond mere words.
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
Cernel

Post by Cernel »

Thank you Taylor, for all that you have done in service of our country and in the advice and insight provided here and elsewhere that has benefited so many people. THANK YOU!
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Taylor, thanks for sharing. THANK YOU and all military for their service and sacrifice.
Don't Work Forever.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks for your service Taylor and to all of our veterans who have served our country.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Here in VA, many older folks still call it Decoration Day. It was the day folks went and decorated graves of soldiers with flowers. For those who gave their lives prior to the Civil War, there are almost no cemeteries, but there is a remarkable memorial overlooked by many tourists who visit New York City. It is the Prison Ship Martyr's Monument in Brooklyn, about a 30 minute walk (1.5 miles) from the Brooklyn Bridge. At least 11,000 American soldiers died on British prison ships in New York harbor; most of the dead were simply thrown overboard, however some were buried and the crypt below the monument contains the remains of some of them.

https://fortgreeneassociation.org/histo ... s-monument
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
jb1

Post by jb1 »

Happy Memorial Day to all.

Sad the way the country has changed and not many value the military anymore.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Our flag will be at half-staff until 12:00 pm in honor of our nation's battle heroes. So much is owed by so many to so few. We are forever grateful for our freedom, bought and paid for by the blood of those who served. May God Bless America.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Thank you, Taylor.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
AK1236

Post by AK1236 »

Thanks Taylor. God bless you.
no longer in the weeds and thorns
Norris

Post by Norris »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 pm Bogleheads:

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil War soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

Please remember the brave men and women who gave us their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

A Memorial Day Tribute

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “And never forget the important role of luck in your life. Never, never, never, never say, ‘I did it all myself.’ Nobody does it all themselves. And when somebody has the temerity to tell me they did, I say to them: ‘That’s wonderful. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anybody who did it all themselves, but could I ask you one question: How did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?’"
Thank you Taylor! I'm LOL at Jack's quote...so true. We all have so much to be thankful for as we strive for the good! God Bless those that gave all so the rest of us can enjoy the blessings of freedom. And thank you, Taylor, my dad and so many others that survived WWII and other terrible wars.

Norris
renegade06

Post by renegade06 »

Amen!
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thank you, Taylor.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Thank you, Taylor.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

Thank you, Taylor. Our nation's flag still flies high and proud because of service members like you.
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Thank you Taylor !
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Great thanks should be given on this day to our fallen soldiers and their gold star families who carry on. If you have a flag, today is a great day to fly it in remembrance.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

This is a poem written by one of my comrades while we were surrounded during the battle of Bastogne in 1944:
The Hills of Bastogne

The crop shall be full in Belgium next year,
The soil should be fertile, but the price has been dear.
The wheat should be red on the hills of Bastogne.
For its roots have been drenched with the blood of our own.

Battered and reeling we stand in their way.
It's here we are, and here we'll stay.
Embittered, wrathful, we watch our pals fall.
God, where is the end? The end of it all?

Confident and powerful they strike at our lines.
But we beat them back, fighting for time.
Berserk with fury, they are hitting us now
flesh against steel, we'll hold, but how?

For each day that we stay, more Mothers must grieve.
For each hill we hold, more men must we leave.
Yes, honor the men who someday come home,
But pray for the men, 'neath the hills of Bastogne.
Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "If you hold the stock market, you will grow with America."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Driver

Post by Driver »

Thank you, Taylor.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters (Bogleheads community) forum.

Thank you, Taylor.

My late husband was an Army vet who served during Vietnam.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I always look forward to this post. Thank you Taylor, and all of you that are vets and family thereof, for your service and support.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Taylor,

I wish you the best on this Memorial Day and thank you for all you've done for the nation and for this forum, and extend thanks to all our veterans.

A few years ago a friend sent me a list of Hollywood stars who had served during WW2. Among them were Art Carney, wounded in Normandy on D-Day, and Henry Fonda who was an officer on the USS Satterlee, a destroyer on anti-submarine duty protecting the cruisers and battleships shelling the bluffs and inland positions to support the Normandy D-Day landings. I had read accounts of "the destroyers of D-Day" and would like to share what I wrote back to my friend:

Regarding Henry Fonda (USS Satterlee) and Art Carney (wounded on D-Day in Normandy), there's a connection in that the Satterlee was at Normandy on D-Day.

USS Satterlee was one of the "Destroyers of D-Day" assigned for anti-submarine duty protecting the invasion fleet. As they patrolled, the destroyer crews could see in the distance the carnage on Omaha Beach, but the naval ships (battleships, cruisers, destroyers) were too far away to shell the beach area without risk of unintended hits on the US Army forces that were pinned down. And since the tanks that were supposed to support the troops had nearly all sunk, this meant that the troops had little to no effective artillery support.

As soon as the destroyers' captains were released from anti-sub assignment they steamed straight for Omaha Beach, risking grounding and artillery fire to blast enemy bunkers pinning down the Army troops. A radioman at the edge of Omaha beach reported seeing a destroyer approaching so fast and so close he assumed it had been hit and was beaching itself to avoid sinking. Instead, the destroyer came in what seemed impossibly close to shore and then cut a 90 degree turn so it could run parallel to Omaha Beach to shell enemy positions on the bluffs overlooking the beach. The radioman assumed that at the end of its parallel run the destroyer would turn back to sea. Instead, it came to a full stop and then went into reverse, as he reported, "guns still firing" shelling the bluffs again. (I suppose the captain wanted to retrace running astern the path he had just taken going forward that had not resulted in grounding). Then, the destroyer's gunners spotted one of the "floating" Sherman tanks that didn't sink but was immobilized at the edge of the shore. When they saw the tank fire at an enemy position, the destroyer immediately followed the tank's 70mm shot from a half mile back with a 5-inch blast right on target. The tankman opened his hatch, looked around to see what the hell had just happened, saw the destroyer, waved, went back into his tank, and started serving as fire control for the destroyer by pointing out places for the destroyer to shell with each round he fired.

Remarkable stuff and remarkable heroism and remarkable spontaneous teamwork. We must remember and do more to emulate the dedication, patriotism, and sacrifice of the greatest generation and all our veterans.

With best wishes to all this Memorial Day of 2020,
Beehave
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Thank you, Mr. Larimore, for your service both to your country and to the Bogleheads universe.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thank You Taylor

And thanks for sharing the poem your comrade wrote.

In this unusual year all of the American Battle Monuments Commission Cemeteries and Memorials are closed because of the Pandemic.

Hope one day to visit and pay my respects to the fallen at the Manila American Cemetery.

https://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries-memoria ... ery-anchor

The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial in the Philippines contains the largest number of graves of our military dead of World War II, a total of 17,184, most of whom lost their lives in operations in New Guinea and the Philippines. Tablets of the Missing contain another 36,286 names.

Some of those listed as missing include relatives lost in the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, and lost in a kamikaze attack on an LST supporting the Allied return to the Philippines.

Never Forget
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We appreciate your post so much Taylor. We must not forget the most valuable service you and your fellow soldiers gave for our country.
froggy

Post by froggy »

Thank you, Taylor,
Last edited by froggy on Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Adding my thanks, Taylor. Good to see this posted and the video.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

To all of you who serve our great country:

Thank you for your service, protecting us, our freedom, and your devotion to our country. If it were not for people like you we would not have a country. We are proud of you and we love you!

:sharebeer
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I hope everyone, not just on this board, but all who live in this fantastic & great nation, took a few moments to learn/think why "Memorial Day" is a holiday. It's not just about the beach & barbecue. Sadly I doubt the portion who did is very small.

Thank you to everyone who has done this I never could do. So I can be who I am.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thank you sir for your service to our great nation.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

Thank you Taylor.

Mel(TOM)
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Taylor,
Thank you for carving out a space on this site to remember those who have died in service.
Best wishes,
MO