Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
lauren_knows

Re: Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting

Post by lauren_knows »

HoosierJim wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am The developer of the free product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time

You can try out the product here https://www.cfiresim.com/

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

You can find the local chapters here.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
Hi there, bogleheads. I'm the developer/creator of cFIREsim. As the date draws near for my presentation, I was curious if there were any typical scenarios that you wanted me to model during my presentation (so that I can prepare them in advance and have them ready)? I plan on talking about scenarios like: Modeling spending/income adjustments that last only a certain amount of years (paying for kids college, mortgage, etc), modeling pensions (where the value is frozen until it starts to be taken), modeling different variable spending plans, modeling glide path allocation changes, and a few other things.

BUT, in the spirit of the "C" in cFIREsim, which stands for "crowdsourcing", and my penchant for being overly involved with online communities, I wanted to be sure to get your input.

-Lauren
41 - Married - 2 kids - Aiming for FI/ER in early 40s - Creator of cFIREsim
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Here's a scenerio - if you run OPENSOCIALSECURITY.COM, a couple might receive a recommended max present value using this claiming strategy:

[edit]

How would this be handled in CFIRESIM ?

And... Thanks in advance for your presenting on 4/15.

HoosierJim wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am The developer of the free product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting is tommorow night - (4/7/2020 7 pm CENTRAL) to view/review/discuss the NEW RETIREMENT planning tool with the a member of the Chicago Virtual Boglheads who works for the company and has agreed to give us a demo and answer our questions

Wednesday 4/7/2021

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

All Bogleheads and lurkers are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site - just send me chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com an email to get the invitation with zoom link)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developers will also participate and answer any of our questions.

NEW RETIREMENT 4/7/21 at 7pm central time.
GET STARTED FOR FREE link here

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting is tonight - (4/7/2020 7 pm CENTRAL) to view/review/discuss the NEW RETIREMENT planning tool with the a member of the Chicago Virtual Boglheads who works for the company and has agreed to give us a demo and answer our questions

Wednesday 4/7/2021

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

All Bogleheads and lurkers are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site - just send me chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com an email to get the invitation with zoom link)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developers will also participate and answer any of our questions.

NEW RETIREMENT 4/7/21 at 7pm central time.
GET STARTED FOR FREE link here

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Everyone is invited to tonight's (4/7/2021 7 pm CENTRAL) financial/retirement tool demo/q&a of NEW RETIREMENT. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com

The meeting is on 4/7 at 7pm central time.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm East

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

investor421

Post by investor421 »

I’m Michelle, a long-time Boglehead and a former organizer of the local Chicago chapter. I’m looking forward to giving a demo tonight. Stephen Chen, the Founder of NewRetirement, will also be there to take questions.

Here’s a few cool things we will cover:

Coach Suggestions - an automated assessment of your plan
Roth Conversion Explorer - tool for optimizing your estate
Tax Projection Charting - how to assess liabilities in the future

If you are a current user, what else you would like us to show?
investor421

Post by investor421 »

See you soon!
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder..... This Thursday 4/15/2021. The developer of the product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time. Great way to get any of your questions answered.

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the upcoming events here. in the 4/15 entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder..... TONIGHT Thursday 4/15/2021. The developer of the product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time. Great way to get any of your questions answered.

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the upcoming events here. in the 4/15 entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Short notice - Wednesday May 5 - 7 pm central. The developer of the product FICALC has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on WEDNESDAY May 5 at 7 pm Central time. Great way to get any of your questions answered.

You can try out the product here https://calculator.ficalc.app/

Wednesday May 5 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the upcoming events here. in the 5/5 entry - note those times on the calendar are EASTERN - you can add it to your calendar (and it will correct for your time zone by clicking COPY TO MY CALENDAR) There is also a google calendar link that you can add to your calendar so all Boglehead events will appear on your calendar.

blackhawkfan

Post by blackhawkfan »

On Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 the Chicago chapter is hosting the developer of the product FICALC. There will be a demonstration of the product and a Q & A session. If you already use the product, this is a great way to ask any questions you may have. If you haven't used it yet, this demonstration will give you an idea of the capability and uses of the product.

You can try out the product here - https://calculator.ficalc.app/

The product demonstration is:
Wednesday May 5th, 2021 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

The zoom link is in the Bogleheads upcoming events section in the calendar...note those times on the calendar are EASTERN. If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact the chapter coordinator, Jim via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

I just got my second shot, so hopefully this will soon go back to being a physical meeting rather than a virtual one.
hiren811

Newbie on Bogleheads

Post by hiren811 »

[Post merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I was at the local library today searching for a good book on investing. Fortunately, I found The Bogleheads' guide to investing. I've only read the
introduction but man oh man it looks like it will be a fun book to read. :-)

I'm located in the Chicago area if anyone here is local and wants to connect. :happy

Cheers
Hiren
Last edited by hiren811 on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

hiren811, Welcome! I merged your post into the Chicago chapter meeting thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
InvestorHowie

Re: Newbie on Bogleheads

Post by InvestorHowie »

hiren811 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:06 pm I was at the local library today searching for a good book on investing. Fortunately, I found The Bogleheads' guide to investing. I've only read the
introduction but man oh man it looks like it will be a fun book to read. :-)

I'm located in the Chicago area if anyone here is local and wants to connect. :happy

Cheers
Hiren
Welcome hiren811! If you like what you see here (and I imagine you might!) you may be interested in attending the annual Bogleheads' conference here in suburban Westmont in mid-October. A great educational opportunity right at our doorstep. https://boglecenter.net/2022conference/
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
hiren811

Post by hiren811 »

Thank You