Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting

Post by HoosierJim »

After a few months off, we are planning on meeting via Google Meet on 5/13 at 8 pm. Private message me with your email address if you would like to be on the distribution and get the meeting link. (pro tip - you don't have to live in Chicago to join)
Potential

Re: Chicago virtual Bogleheads meeting

Post by Potential »

Looking forward to this starting back up. I'll volunteer to take notes so we can post them here after for everyone to see.

Lets come up with some topics, besides Covid-19
Cheap Loans (Car, home,etc)
Asset Allocation- are you staying the course?
Crackdown/slowdown on "churning" credit cards.

Please post up some additional topics.
scotgirl100

Post by scotgirl100 »

I think the potential Social Security cuts beginning between 2029 to 2034 is of concern.
How to handle the cut.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Will incorporate those topics into the agenda.
glacierbob

Post by glacierbob »

Hi I do t live in Chicago anymore but would love to join the virtual meeting
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

glacierbob wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm Hi I do t live in Chicago anymore but would love to join the virtual meeting

We don't check or care where you live, send me a private message with your EMAIL address so I can add you to the distribution and meeting invites.

Meeting is tonight at 8 pm CENTRAL time. Send me a pm with email if you want to join us.
Coolguy8877

Post by Coolguy8877 »

Great meeting last night. Thanks for setting it up HoosierJim!

There was some great discussion on home/auto/student loans, asset allocation, and long term impacts of COVID-19.

For our next meeting a few topics of interest include: critiques of investment plans (for those willing to share), favorite bogleheads threads/posts and/or wiki pages/tools, as well as some discussion about prioritizing investments (based on the wiki page).
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our next meeting is Wednesday June 3 at 8 pm CENTRAL time. A meeting invite has been sent to everyone in the distribution list. PM me if you want to join.
blackhawkfan

Post by blackhawkfan »

I enjoyed the virtual meeting for the Chicago chapter the other day. Would love for a bunch of people to participate and offer their perspectives. The more voices the more people can learn. i encourage people thinking about participating to take the next step and contact HoosierJim and get on the email list for the next meeting. No question is not worth asking. We are all learning.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

New to the forum and am wondering if the Chicago chapter is still active.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Had a meeting last night. We meet first Wednesday of each month. Pm your email if you want to be on the email distribution.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our next VIRTUAL meeting is January 6, 2021 at 8 pm central time.

Looking for suggestions/topic for discussion. If you want to join the distribution and meetings send me a PM with your EMAIL address.

Last meeting's topic (12/2/2020) was Robinhood trading platform and electric car adoption, use and future.

You don't have to be from Chicago to participate if your area doesn't have a virtual conference, you can join us.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Topic: Estimated Taxes and Safe Harbors Virtual Meeting

A member of the BOSTON group has kindly volunteered to give us this presentation.

Time: Jan 6, 2021 5 pm Pacific, 6 pm Mountain, 7 pm Central , 08:00 PM Eastern Time
*********** EDIT - note the time is 7 pm CENTRAL TIME **************************

Some members of our Chicago group participated in the San Francisco meeting with a presentation on taxes this week and we are inviting anyone that would like to join us to our event.

I've notices some areas are having problems getting a group together - since everything is virtual now, we are glad to have you join us.

You don't have to be from Chicago to participate if your area doesn't have a virtual conference, you can join us. If you are unfamiliar with zoom or other meeting software, we generally get on the call 15 minutes early to allow new member to check their voice/video. There will also be call in numbers if you want to just dial in.

Send me a bogleheads.org private message with your email address so you can be added to our email distribution and will receive the zoom link.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder - January 6th - 7 pm CENTRAL meeting.

A member of the BOSTON group has kindly volunteered to give us this presentation.

Private message me your email if you want to join us and get on the distribution list.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Is the multiple chapter meeting on taxes Tuesday Jan.5 or Wednesday Jan.6? Is the time at 8pm ET/7pm CT or at 9pm ET/8pm CT?
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder - Wednesday January 6th - 7 pm CENTRAL meeting.

Private message me your email if you want to join us and get on the distribution list.

Note: this meeting was moved to 7 pm central to keep the meeting from going too late in the eastern time zone.
Nadchat5

Post by Nadchat5 »

Hello everyone,

I recently joined the forum and live in Chicago. Would I be able to get a link to the virtual Bogleheads meeting this evening?
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Nadchat5 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am Hello everyone,

I recently joined the forum and live in Chicago. Would I be able to get a link to the virtual Bogleheads meeting this evening?
Please PM me your email and I will add you to the distribution list.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our next meeting is on February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time.

The presentation will be of interest to people contemplating retirement health care options and costs & employees that are considering self employment.

PM me with your email to get on our email distribution.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just a reminder....

The Chicago group is having our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed.

Virtual meetings allow us to invite other Boglehead chapters and have a big benefit with a narrow topic that appeals to a certain population of Bogleheads. Efforts are in the works to create "Stages of Life" virtual presentations and erase geographical boundaries and supplement in-person local chapters.

We are inviting all Boglehead local chapter members that are interested in this "Stage of Life" to attend - just join your local chapter or if one isn't available send me a PM and I will add you to the Chicago email distribution. You can find the local chapters here.
dflea

Post by dflea »

Had a chance to preview the presentation, good summary of healthcare options pre-Medicare. See you at the meeting.
borgtea

Post by borgtea »

I would like to attend the February virtual meeting.
maywood

Post by maywood »

Looking forward to the presentation on healthcare on Wednesday!

maywood
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just a reminder....

The Chicago group is having our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

The presentation should appeal to people nearing retirement and before Medicare (age 65) - would also appeal to people contemplating leaving their corporate jobs to become self employed.

Virtual meetings allow us to invite other Boglehead chapters and have a big benefit with a narrow topic that appeals to a certain population of Bogleheads. Efforts are in the works to create "Stages of Life" virtual presentations and erase geographical boundaries and supplement in-person local chapters.

We are inviting all Boglehead local chapter members that are interested in this "Stage of Life" to attend - just join your local chapter or if one isn't available send me a PM and I will add you to the Chicago email distribution. You can find the local chapters here.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Thanks for organizing this online meeting tonight, Jim. I'll be there.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just a reminder....

The Chicago group is having our meeting TONIGHT Wednesday, February 3rd at 8 pm CENTRAL time. The presentation will be on Health Care Options Planning Preretirement to Medicare.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Great meeting, I learned a lot, thanks!
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various planning tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki
  • Retiree Model Portfolio
  • FireCalc
  • Open Social Security
  • I-ORP
  • ect.

If you have used any of these tools - please comment on this post. If you have any suggestions for other useful tools, let me know.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various planning tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

In addition to the tools mentioned above, we have a number of site users volunteering to explain their use of tools that work for them.

If you have any suggestions of these tools - please comment on this post.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter.

You can find the local chapters here.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various planning tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

In addition to the tools mentioned above, we have a number of site users volunteering to explain their use of tools that work for them.

The agenda is to go quickly through a number of financial tools with examples. The presentation discussion will get feedback on which tools to have future meetings for a deep review.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting is TONIGHT - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various planning tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

The agenda is to go quickly through a number of financial tools with examples. The presentation discussion will get feedback on which tools to have future meetings for a deep review.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL address or join your local chapter.

Last edited by HoosierJim on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpsomerville

Post by tpsomerville »

HoosierJim wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:02 pm Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting is TONIGHT - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various planning tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

I am a member of the DC chapter, and I have no idea how to join the meeting. Got a meeting ID?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

HoosierJim! You ran a great meeting last night! With good help from Tampa and Chicago!

The virtual meeting had 89 participants when it started at 7:00 pm CST, then 4 minutes later there were 108, and then 116 participants at 7:30 CST, and still 46 participants at closing at 8:48 pm CST 8-) Very interesting meeting and well-attended.

We know you put in a huge effort organizing and setting up this meeting, and we all appreciate it :D
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

tpsomerville wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 pm I am a member of the DC chapter, and I have no idea how to join the meeting. Got a meeting ID?

We are inviting all chapter members so you can also contact your chapter coordinator for the link.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our next meeting is to review the financial/retirement tool PROLANA. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

The meeting is on 3/18 at 7pm central time.

Last edited by HoosierJim on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

We have scheduled a virtual meeting to review the financial/retirement tool NEW RETIREMENT. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

The meeting is on 4/7 at 7pm central time.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

Last edited by HoosierJim on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Jim and all of you Chicago Bogleheads and helpers,

Thanks for the excellent meeting & discussion last night! I look forward to the Pralana & New Retirement deep dive meetings coming up.

Keep well,

Calman
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

We have scheduled a virtual meeting to review the financial/retirement tool FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

The meeting is on 3/24 at 7pm central time.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

HoosierJim wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:02 pm Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting is TONIGHT - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various
Sending many thanks to Jim and all contributors for hosting an interesting and informative meeting. I had sent a request for an invite only 24 hours or so in advance and promptly received a link. Although I could not attend the live meeting I've thoroughly enjoyed the recording and look forward to attending the next one in real time.

Thanks to all!
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Our next 3 meetings are to review the financial/retirement tool PROLANA - March 18, FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER March 24 and NEW RETIREMENT April 7. All meetings are at 7pm and all Bogleheads are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

PRALANA 3/18/21 at 7pm central time.
Try the bronze version here

FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER 3/24/21 at 7pm central time.
You can download an individual version here

NEW RETIREMENT 4/7/21 at 7pm central time.
GET STARTED FOR FREE link here

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join your local chapter.

Last edited by HoosierJim on Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't think I'll be attending those meetings, but I wanted to follow-up from comments made at the start of the March 3rd meeting. Regarding Zoom -

Please be sure your app is up-to-date.

In the meeting, it was mentioned that there was no way to check if your app desktop needed an update. Upon further review, it's built-in to the app.

- Open the app
- Click on your account icon in the top-right corner (it should have your initials)
- About half-way down the list is "Check for update". Click on it.
- The app updates. You are done.

This also works in Linux. The app will take you to the Zoom download screen for Linux. Download and install as usual.

See: Upgrade / update to the latest version – Zoom Help Center
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting to view/review/discuss the PRALANA planning tool with the author/founder is this Thursday 3/18. Info on how to join us on the presentation and discussion is below.

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

Our next 3 meetings are to review the financial/retirement tool PROALANA - March 18, FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER March 24 and NEW RETIREMENT April 7. All meetings are at 7pm and all Bogleheads are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting to view/review/discuss the PRALANA planning tool with the author/founder is this tomorrow 3/18. Info on how to join us on the presentation and discussion is below.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com.

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

Our next 3 meetings are to review the financial/retirement tool PROALANA - March 18, FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER March 24 and NEW RETIREMENT April 7. All meetings are at 7pm and all Bogleheads are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site)

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Looking forward to this!
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The developer of the free product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time

You can try out the product here https://www.cfiresim.com/

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... tonight AT 7 PM central time is our product demo and Q & A session on the FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

ALL BOGLEHEAD members and lurkers are invited.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Here is the blog post with the recording from the presentation last night on the Flexible Retirement Planner:

https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2021/03/25/chicago-virtual-chapter-flexible-retirement-planner/

Many thanks to the author/developer Jim Richmond from the Flexible Retirement Planner.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder - the Chicago Virtual chapter is reviewing the PERSONAL FINANACIAL TOOLBOX 7 pm tonight 3/31/2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/31 7pm Central to review and discuss the PERSONAL FINANACIAL TOOLBOX

Boglehead member FiveK has graciously offered to give a demonstration and answer questions on the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX - on the bogleheads wiki here --> https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calculators#Personal_finance_toolbox

The agenda is:

1) Tax calculations, especially including the marginal rate chart (25 mins)
2) Form 8606 assistance (15 mins)
3) Various templates available in the 'Misc. calcs' tab (10 mins)
4) Overview of other tabs (10 mins)

Wednesday March 31 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Jim

Thank you for setting up these various financial tool presentations. Incredibly useful.

You mentioned they are archived on the web, but I could not find the URL. I'm trying to locate the Pralana presentation.

Thanks,

calmaniac
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

calmaniac wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:17 pm You mentioned they are archived on the web, but I could not find the URL. I'm trying to locate the Pralana presentation.
We are in the process of setting up a repository for all the videos and other materials but aren't ready yet. If you send me an email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com, I can send you a link from my google drive account.