How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
RJC

How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

Post by RJC »

How is your job being impacted by the coronavirus and the falling market?

My spouse is saying that they are pushing for 20% reduction in hours (off once a week) for workers. Are similar cuts coming to your industry?
bgatze

Re: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

Post by bgatze »

Although I believe my job to be secure, I work within hospitality and I can't imagine an industry hit harder from this pandemic. The next few weeks will tell a similar tale to other countries that are 2 weeks ahead of us in the process. Hotels are projecting up to a 70% decline in occupancy down to single digits for an extended period of time nation wide.

Good news for all those looking for cheap travel in the future, extremely bad news for those of us within the industry.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” | ― Margaret Mead
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Healthcare leadership. I am now working nearly 24/7.
Picksburgh

Post by Picksburgh »

My whole office is work from home with the exception of a few managers. I’m thinking that after this they are going to let us work from home a day or two a week. There is really no need to be in the office five days a week, especially when 90% of the job is on a computer.

I work for the administrative offices of a pension fund.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Currently working from home. Expect to be laid off soon.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Have been working from home for the past week and a half. This was "strongly encouraged" by my employer until today when it became a requirement due to the Bay Area lockdown. I'm a software engineer, so I'm generally more productive at home than in the office (fewer distractions). I'd be lying if I said I was running at usual capacity the past few days, with all the unfolding news. But the news would be equally distracting in the office.

To the extent that this crisis leads to fewer people buying smart phones, absolutely my industry will be impacted. Remains to be seen whether my individual job will be.

Is this actionable somehow?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm Currently working from home. Expect to be laid off soon.
I am sorry. What industry are you in?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Bungo wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:24 pm Have been working from home for the past week and a half. This was "strongly encouraged" by my employer until today when it became a requirement due to the Bay Area lockdown. I'm a software engineer, so I'm generally more productive at home than in the office (fewer distractions). I'd be lying if I said I was running at usual capacity the past few days, with all the unfolding news. But the news would be equally distracting in the office.

To the extent that this crisis leads to fewer people buying smart phones, absolutely my industry will be impacted. Remains to be seen whether my individual job will be.

Is this actionable somehow?
I would think this would help folks anticipate and prepare if they see cuts being posted and are in the same industry.
Last edited by RJC on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Healthcare. New protocols every day.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

RJC wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:27 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm Currently working from home. Expect to be laid off soon.
Oil and gas.

The virus hit combined with the Saudi/Russia price war has been very damaging for the industry.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

College instructor. Subject that can’t be taught online. Out of work, no pay.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

Airline pilot. We're not entirely sure of the effects yet and if furloughs will happen. Big schedule reduction starting April so we'll see how much off time I have. I am considering a paid leave of absence to stay at home. Would be a slight pay cut.
Shael_AT

Post by Shael_AT »

Information Security, Operations.

Working from home 5/5 days, whereas before, it was 2 or 3/5 days of the week.

Nothing unusual here. Same old same old. Plenty of work to do and no signs that we are slowing down spending or hiring in the slightest. :sharebeer
defscott627

Post by defscott627 »

I am a tenured teacher in NY (now working remotely for the first time), but am a unionized government worker and should most likely be safe. My wife, on the other hand, does marketing for Broadway shows :oops: . The company has said they may have to do a payroll freeze indefinitely to attempt to avoid layoffs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm in the health products industry. Business is booming for us as we produce hand sanitizer, various antimicrobial cleansers, and other products people are hoarding right now. I believe ~75% of our ~4,500 staff is work from home right now, including almost all of my 27-person team (I have to have some people physically running my labs). While business is great at the moment, this is a quite a learning opportunity as far as what staff is necessary and how successful remote working can be. We've grown very fast, nearly tripling the size of the staff in the 5yrs I've been here, and it is clear now that there is a lot of fat. I suspect at least 2 of my employees, maybe 5, will have their positions eliminated in the next 6 months, regardless of what happens with this pandemic. And, I suspect the company as a whole will be a lot more open to remote work possibilities moving forward.
galving

Post by galving »

Working from home.
Things are a little more challenging with webex only meetings.

I'm a little further removed from the wellhead, though the significant moves on crude oil will trickle (slam) into the downstream derivatives.
In the past, I ran a business that made a precursor for surfactants (soap products). . . perhaps that's an area where demand remains strong.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

I teach students with dyslexia how to read, write, and spell. I have 18 students who I tutor 1:1 twice a week. 4 of them are in office and the others are online all over the country.

I moved all 4 local students to online.

I'm getting 6 - 8 calls a day from parents looking from me to bridge services for their dyslexic youngsters during the school closure. If I can slot them in, I am taking them, but have made it clear that I can not take them on long term. My passion for this population will keep me going while carrying such a huge caseload.

I'll likely double my monthly income for March, April, and possibly May.

Husband also owns his own business. He was breaking sales records every month. He's come to an abrupt stop as we are now ordered to Shelter In Place until April 7th. (San Francisco Bay Area ) He's an antsy man, so this is going to be harder than just losing the momentum he had.
Hidjet

Post by Hidjet »

I work in water treatment. So far everyone is still showing up. We're all practicing our social distancing, which is not very difficult as we are spread out on any typical day.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

It's going to be a blood bath with employment. Have people really thought this through? I keep seeing forecasts that assume this is not going to be so bad, recovery in the latter half of 2020, mild recession, etc. That is just insane. And we're only at the beginning.

In my case, I'm a freelancer living in Europe, helping a few clients grow software sales in Europe and the Middle East. I'm fortunate that I have a fixed price (monthly) contract that covers me for the next 4 months or so, and additional revenue already booked in Jan/Feb that will help me make it through the year. But business has completely stopped now as people are all shut in their homes, waiting to see how bad this gets. I'm thinking 2020 will be a transitional year for me. I'm certainly not expecting any revenue in Q2/Q3, outside of my monthly fixed price agreement, which barely covers my expenses. And I'm fully expecting them to stop that in June/July unless something changes fast.

But right now I'm more concerned about my family staying healthy. Economic issues are secondary.
Asset Allocation: VT
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

We moved to work-from-home two weeks ago yesterday. I work for a well-capitalized tech company with about 2x annual operating expenses in cash on our balance sheet. Most of our income is from advertising so we're by no means immune to the wider economy but hopefully our balance sheet lets us weather this storm without too many cuts.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Front lines emergency medicine, mainly small hospitals in midwest. Thinking it's going to get crazy soon. Hopefully the self distancing will spread the critically ill pts apart. Time will tell.

DA
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I am semi-retired and work part-time. Unfortunately, my employer will not be setting me up to work remotely, and I am self-isolating due to high risk.
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

I'm in the non-profit arts sector which relies heavily upon donations and ticket sales. No events means no ticket sales. Tanking economy means less charitable giving. If things stay closed, I will definitely get chance to tap into that emergency fund which has been burning a hole in my bank account for years and years.

For nonsalaried employees, this is going to get bad fast. It's one thing to lose your job, it's another to have nowhere to go for a new job.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

Mandatory 12-16 hour shifts 7 days a week. I work for a grocery supplier we have 4x normal volume
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

80% of the company is let go for now, remaining people on a 3 day workweek with a 40% reduction in base salary/hours. Thank God my base salary is 25% of total pay, so take home income is marginally affected. It will take awhile before commission income takes a major hit.

We have zero work on the books through mid-May, everything canceled or "postponed". Late May and June work is looking iffy.

If the June work doesn't happen, the axe will fall again.

Convention service contracting company.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

LilyFleur wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:37 pm I am semi-retired and work part-time. Unfortunately, my employer will not be setting me up to work remotely, and I am self-isolating due to high risk.
What industry are you in?
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

Apparently Treasury Secretary Mnuchin told some Senators yesterday that US unemployment could hit 20% without action. Going to be interesting to see what actions are taken...
Asset Allocation: VT
Clemblack

Post by Clemblack »

Insurance adjuster. Have noticed a slight decrease in claims state-wide, most adjusters are working from home. Stable job, thank the lord.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Higher ed. Everything's already 100% online: teaching, meetings, etc. My institution has just initiated a hiring freeze.
The Sensible Steward
pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles »

Hospital pharmacist. Trying to figure out how we are going to cope with the inevitable infection of one of our staff, likely infecting or at least exposing the entire department. We can't really self isolate if people want drugs in the hospital. Job security should be nice though. We are working on basically doubling our ICU capacity.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I am a remote IT worker (contractor) for a Fortune 100 company. The company is now having the majority of workers work from home if their job can be done remotely, so my Skype meetings are getting much better!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Not much at all. People who can, are encouraged to work from home but I can't really do that. Traffic is very light. Plenty of parking and, so far, toilet paper and hand sanitizer at work.

We are actually hiring (defense contractor). I'm lucky.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Mandatory work from home at my high tech. Currently no expectations of bad things happening but in the event of a deep recession all bets are off.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Physical Therapy. Outpatient clinic. We see mostly elective surgeries. Elective surgeries are about to be put on hold at all hospitals near me. Hasn't affected me yet but our census will drop soon unless something changes.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
bgf

Post by bgf »

lawyer. we're allowed to work from home, but offices arent closed... yet. ive been working in my office. courts have issued emergency orders extending deadlines etc. courts are closed except for essential duties. ive still been busy as usual.

for my practice, things may slow but i doubt theyd come to a hault.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My spouse and I are probably both considered tech workers and it's now mandatory we work from home. I've setup two office spaces in the basement. There is currently a lot of job security. I could see bonuses being low, but that's the least of my concerns right now.

So far, I feel my productivity has increased. I've put in some weird hours directly due to the crisis.

Being able to exercise on our lunch hours is great

School is closed for my two kids, so they are loving an "early summer break". My son interrupted me this afternoon to tell me my daughter called him weird. :-) My modest house has never reached this level of utilization.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bgf

Post by bgf »

1130Super wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:43 pm Mandatory 12-16 hour shifts 7 days a week. I work for a grocery supplier we have 4x normal volume
the hoarding ive witnessed is insane. keep calm, and carry on is definitely not the american way...
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

My industry is relatively busy right now. My company is encouraging people at corporate to work from home but it is our decision whether we do or come into the office. I am choosing to go in. It is really quiet with very few in the office. More zoom meetings and conference calls now, but otherwise not much changed.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 pm
Oil and gas.

The virus hit combined with the Saudi/Russia price war has been very damaging for the industry.
Oil price now is $30 a barrel and US companies need it to be $50 to break even. I expect oil field workers to be laid off soon.

TravelforFun
SouthernDude

Post by SouthernDude »

Power generation industry. Business as usual but talks of splitting staff in half and rotating 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off for the next 1.5 months.
as9

Post by as9 »

I am a full time remote employee (as is much of our team) so the main change for me has been adjusting to a full house.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

Worked remotely full time before the crisis, so no change. It‘s actually a welcome change, as I don‘t need to travel. I realize I‘m in a very lucky position.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Company management is probably meeting every other day to adjust to rapidly deteriorating conditions. Probably exploring the usual alternatives, such as pickup and delivery for retail, work from home for office jobs etc. And federal relief actions change by the day in type and amount. Even experienced management teams have mostly never dealt with these conditions.

Some may come up with brilliant solutions while others cost themselves even more. Actions that work may turn into semi permanent changes in the work landscape. Businesses that were on the verge before this will probably close up shop sooner rather than later.

Will be interesting to see if the military is deployed here, for example skilled medical personnel.
orhkaf

Post by orhkaf »

Healthcare. Just got a list of 50 open shifts for the next week.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Started working remotely this week, heard almost all IT projects are on hold now and management is focused trying to make cuts left and right as we speak so I can see layoffs coming..... :shock:
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm College instructor. Subject that can’t be taught online. Out of work, no pay.
what do you teach? topic/subject?
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

SouthernDude wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:06 pm Power generation industry. Business as usual but talks of splitting staff in half and rotating 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off for the next 1.5 months.
Same here. Boy do I wish I was back on shift as an operator-job security!
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

IT Support for a small Managed Services provider. At this point, I'm not sure how the cards will fall... Time will tell.
We are all working 100% from home except for Emergencies only. All pending projects that involve the potential for on-site are on hold for now.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Law enforcement... No real way to work remotely. We've had some confirmed cases among the ranks locally today.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TravelforFun wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:01 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 pm
Oil and gas.

Oil price now is $30 a barrel and US companies need it to be $50 to break even. I expect oil field workers to be laid off soon.

TravelforFun
My brother is in oil & gas. He left previous employer for a better offer ~2 months ago and found out this morning that previous employer laid-off almost everybody. He got really lucky because his new position is uniquely stable considering the industry. He isn't concerned about lay-offs at all, at least for the time being.