"Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter [Formerly Birmingham, Alabama]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Stinky

"Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter [Formerly Birmingham, Alabama]

Post by Stinky »

We had enough folks at our last meeting to qualify as an official chapter! Thanks to all that attended. I will be acting as the coordinator for this chapter.

All Bogleheads in the Birmingham area are welcome to join us at our next meeting. Sunday August 25, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. PM me for more information.

We also have a new email address - birminghambogleheads@gmail.com.

Stinky
Last edited by Stinky on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Housedoc

Re: Birmingham, Alabama local chapter

Post by Housedoc »

Alright Alright Alright
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Oh fun! I'm from Birmingham but live in Dallas now. I have family there though, and I may let my dad know about this. I don't think he's ever been on this website, but he's a Boglehead in many ways!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Meg77 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 pm Oh fun! I'm from Birmingham but live in Dallas now. I have family there though, and I may let my dad know about this. I don't think he's ever been on this website, but he's a Boglehead in many ways!
We'd love to have your father join us! It's no requirement to be registered on the Boglehead site to be a Boglehead at heart.

Email contact for the chapter is birminghambogleheads@gmail.com.

Stinky
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
blackfish

Post by blackfish »

Good to be official
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Someone was asking about a chapter in Shelby AL. I am not up-to-speed on my Alabama geography, but those two cities don't seem to be that far away.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

AlphaLess wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm Someone was asking about a chapter in Shelby AL. I am not up-to-speed on my Alabama geography, but those two cities don't seem to be that far away.
Yes, there was a thread over the last year or so about trying to pull together a chapter in Shelby County, Alabama. That county is part of the Birmingham metropolitan area.

So this thread, for the “official” chapter, is the successor to the earlier thread.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Next meeting date changed to Sunday, September 8, at 4pm, at my house.

Please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com for more information.

Wayne, aka "Stinky"
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:36 am Next meeting date changed to Sunday, September 8, at 4pm, at my house.

Please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com for more information.

Wayne, aka "Stinky"
Bumping for visability. Looking forward to seeing folks this Sunday at 4pm.
stm

Post by stm »

Hi All - On a whim I happened to look on BH and saw the series of posts leading up to the Chapter formation. I'm in the Hoover area and would be interested in the future for the next meetup!
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

stm wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 am Hi All - On a whim I happened to look on BH and saw the series of posts leading up to the Chapter formation. I'm in the Hoover area and would be interested in the future for the next meetup!
Thanks. I’ve sent you a private message.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Send an email to the address mentioned in the above post. We are MTG at 4pm today in Vestavia. Stinky is hosting so I will defer to him to provide the address via email. Welcome to the group.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We had a good meeting today. Eight of us - record attendance!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 27, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, private message me or email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
tig488

Post by tig488 »

new member here. googling for info regarding investing. after meeting with an advisor from my bank this week, i wanted to look into some of his suggestions. search led me to the site. I'm from trussville and saw this thread. hate I missed the meeting today. i plan on making the next one. really need some help learning about investing.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

tig488 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 pm new member here. googling for info regarding investing. after meeting with an advisor from my bank this week, i wanted to look into some of his suggestions. search led me to the site. I'm from trussville and saw this thread. hate I missed the meeting today. i plan on making the next one. really need some help learning about investing.
I will private message you tomorrow. Watch for it.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Welcome tig488,
Looking forward to meeting you at next meeting. As you are learning, advisors take a piece of your pie to earn a living. You can read up and do it yourself. Search on 3 fund strategy or 3 funds for life.
blackfish

Post by blackfish »

Great meeting yesterday. Thanks again to all involved and especially user Stinky for hosting. The group is growing larger every meeting which is very exciting. Hope to have even more in October!
tig488

Post by tig488 »

Since it was an advisor at my bank i was told there were no fees, and he didn’t make a penny off whatever i decided. I’ve had quite a large amount sitting in a money market account for a long time making .01% interest. We went over CDs, annuities, and stocks.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

tig488,
I will not comment on what your local banker told you. Maybe you are the exception. I do feel you will gain knowledge and a few new friends if you attend our next meeting in October.
Come join the fun and it is safe to leave your checkbook at home! I love the fact no one tries to sell or sway another's method.
Just the facts and truth discussed in a laid back setting.
tig488

Post by tig488 »

thanks housedoc. I'm looking forward to the meeting. I've been reading the wiki link that stinky sent me. Im completely green when it comes to investing so I'm eager to learn and get started.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

tig488 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:52 pm thanks housedoc. I'm looking forward to the meeting. I've been reading the wiki link that stinky sent me. Im completely green when it comes to investing so I'm eager to learn and get started.
tig488,

Let me suggest one more article for you to read. It's a lot shorter than going through the wiki, and it may hit on a lot of the points that you want to understand. The wiki expands on basically everything mentioned in the article.

https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

If you'd like to reach out in advance of the next meeting, feel free to private message me or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com.

Best of luck to you.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:07 pm We had a good meeting today. Eight of us - record attendance!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 27, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, private message me or email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Reminder of the meeting - Sunday, October 27, 4pm.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Final bump for the meeting this Sunday 10/27.
blackfish

Post by blackfish »

Hate I missed the meeting yesterday. I look forward to hearing how it went and being back for the next one!
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

blackfish wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:03 am Hate I missed the meeting yesterday. I look forward to hearing how it went and being back for the next one!
Blackfish, yes, we missed you yesterday.

On the bright side, we had eight folks in attendance, and two new members. So we've had 10 folks attend a local meeting this year.

We'll try to get together one more time this year. I'll email the folks on my list to poll for the most preferred dates - either 12/1, 12/8, or 12/15, all Sundays, at 4pm.
blackfish

Post by blackfish »

Stinky wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 am
blackfish wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:03 am Hate I missed the meeting yesterday. I look forward to hearing how it went and being back for the next one!
Blackfish, yes, we missed you yesterday.

On the bright side, we had eight folks in attendance, and two new members. So we've had 10 folks attend a local meeting this year.

We'll try to get together one more time this year. I'll email the folks on my list to poll for the most preferred dates - either 12/1, 12/8, or 12/15, all Sundays, at 4pm.
Glad to hear it. Unfortunately I will be out of the country for most of December so I won't be able to make any of those dates... so 2020 it is!
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We had a good meeting last Sunday. Eight of us, with two of those being new folks. We now are up to ten on our local roster!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 1, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, private message me or email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 am We had a good meeting last Sunday. Eight of us, with two of those being new folks. We now are up to ten on our local roster!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 1, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, private message me or email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Reminder of our next meeting. Sunday, 12/1, 4pm at my house. For more information, private message me or email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com.
DameTime

Post by DameTime »

Bummer, won’t be getting in to town until late Sunday but I am definitely interested in attending a future meeting. Please keep me in the loop. Cheers
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

DameTime wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:28 pm Bummer, won’t be getting in to town until late Sunday but I am definitely interested in attending a future meeting. Please keep me in the loop. Cheers
DameTime, we'll definitely update you on future meetings. We'll probably meet again on the first or second Sunday of January, and I'll make sure to reach out to you directly.
DameTime

Post by DameTime »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:29 am DameTime, we'll definitely update you on future meetings. We'll probably meet again on the first or second Sunday of January, and I'll make sure to reach out to you directly.
I appreciate it, look forward to hopefully attending.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We had a very good meeting last Sunday. Eight of us attended, with two of those being new folks. We now are up to twelve on our local roster!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, January 12, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, post on the Forum, send a private message to me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:29 pm We had a very good meeting last Sunday. Eight of us attended, with two of those being new folks. We now are up to twelve on our local roster!

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, January 12, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, post on the Forum, send a private message to me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Reminder of our meeting this coming Sunday, 1/12.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Our chapter is growing! We had two new members last meeting, so we’re up to 14 on the roster.

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, March 8, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, post on the Forum, send a private message to me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 am Our chapter is growing! We had two new members last meeting, so we’re up to 14 on the roster.

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, March 8, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, post on the Forum, send a private message to me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Bump
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, March 8, 4pm, at my house in Vestavia. For more information, reply on the Forum, send a private message to me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com.

Lots to discuss since the last meeting. We've certainly had some volatility in equities in the last week, and who knows what the next week will bring.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, May 3, 4pm, via Zoom.

I will send out Zoom information to all those on my local chapter mailing list.

We'd welcome any new members from the Birmingham area. To get on the mailing list, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com, or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

BUMP

------------------

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, May 3, 4pm, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, June 28, 4pm, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am NEXT MEETING - Sunday, June 28, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Bump.

Next meeting this coming Sunday, 6/28.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 23, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 23, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Bumping for visibility.

Please get in touch with me if you want to join the meeting but didn't receive an email from me this morning.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 am
Stinky wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 23, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Bumping for visibility.

Please get in touch with me if you want to join the meeting but didn't receive an email from me this morning.
Last bump.

See you Sunday.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 18, 4pm, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 18, 4pm, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Stinky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 am NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 18, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Reminder of our meeting this Sunday 10/18 at 4pm.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 13, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

REMINDER

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 13, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, February 14, 4pm, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING WITH A SPECIAL GUEST - Sunday, February 14, 4pm Central time, via Zoom.

Our guest speaker will be Paul White, who will be speaking on Vanguard's 2021 economic and market outlook. Paul's short biography:

Paul is a Relationship Executive and leader for Vanguard’s Flagship Select. He has over 20 years experience in the International markets including Europe, Asia, and Australia. He excels at recognizing critical gaps in company structures, regulatory environments, business operating procedures and market conditions.

I also wanted to invite other Bogleheads from outside our local area to join this meeting. To obtain the Zoom log-in, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com. Or you can private message me through the Forum.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")