"Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter [Formerly Birmingham, Alabama]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Stinky

Re: Birmingham, Alabama local chapter

Post by Stinky »

Bump

NEXT MEETING WITH A SPECIAL GUEST - Sunday, February 14, 4pm Central time, via Zoom.

Our guest speaker will be Paul White, who will be speaking on Vanguard's 2021 economic and market outlook. Paul's short biography:

Paul is a Relationship Executive and leader for Vanguard’s Flagship Select. He has over 20 years experience in the International markets including Europe, Asia, and Australia. He excels at recognizing critical gaps in company structures, regulatory environments, business operating procedures and market conditions.

I will send out Zoom information to all those on my local chapter mailing list.

I also wanted to invite other Bogleheads from outside our local area to join this meeting. To obtain the Zoom log-in, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com. Or you can private message me through the Forum.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bump

NEXT MEETING WITH A SPECIAL GUEST - Sunday, February 14, 4pm Central time, via Zoom.

Our guest speaker will be Paul White, who will be speaking on Vanguard's 2021 economic and market outlook. Paul's short biography:

Paul is a Relationship Executive and leader for Vanguard’s Flagship Select. He has over 20 years experience in the International markets including Europe, Asia, and Australia. He excels at recognizing critical gaps in company structures, regulatory environments, business operating procedures and market conditions.

I also wanted to invite other Bogleheads from outside our local area to join this meeting. To obtain the Zoom log-in, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com. Or you can private message me through the Forum.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bump

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, April 11, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Bump
Stinky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:21 pm NEXT MEETING - Sunday, April 11, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Final Bump
Stinky wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am NEXT MEETING - Sunday, April 11, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, June 13, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville/greater Alabama area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 8, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

I will make a presentation on multi-year guaranteed annuities (MYGAs). If anyone is interested in pre-reading, here's a link to a current thread on the topic; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334589

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham/Huntsville/greater Alabama area. To get on the mailing list and to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

I will send out Zoom information to all those on my local chapter mailing list. Others are welcome to join us for this meeting - just contact me per the previous paragraph.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 8, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

I will make a presentation on multi-year guaranteed annuities (MYGAs). If anyone is interested in pre-reading, here's a link to a current thread on the topic; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334589

I will send out Zoom information to all those on my local chapter mailing list. Others are welcome to join us for this meeting - just contact me per the previous paragraph.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 10, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 12, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

After almost two years of doing "Zoom only" meetings, our membership has shifted. Many of our members live well outside the Birmingham area (even in other states). So I'm planning to keep the Zoom going for the indefinite future, and don't have any current plans for in-person meetings.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham area. But any others who want to join our group are also welcome.

To get on the mailing list or to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 12, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

After almost two years of doing "Zoom only" meetings, our membership has shifted. Many of our members live well outside the Birmingham area (even in other states). So I'm planning to keep the Zoom going for the indefinite future, and don't have any current plans for in-person meetings.

We welcome any new members from the Birmingham area. But any others who want to join our group are also welcome.

To get on the mailing list or to learn more about us, please email me at birminghambogleheads@gmail.com or private message me.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Are Nick’s and Highland Bar and Grill still going strong? Sending my regards to BHAM!
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, February 6, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, February 6, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

"Zoom" local chapter - based in Birmingham, Alabama

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, April 10, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

The former "Birmingham, Alabama local chapter" will now be meeting indefinitely via Zoom. Therefore, I've changed the thread title to reflect this update. While we started as a local, in-person chapter, our membership has shifted to more than one-half being outside the local area; therefore, the change in name and focus.

We will meet every other month, generally on the second Sunday of the month, at 4pm Central time.

If you're interested in a small group setting (generally 10-12 folks) where you can pose questions to fellow Bogleheads and get their thoughts, this is a great place for you. In advance of each meeting, I'll poll my mailing list for discussion topics. Anything in the Boglehead universe is open for discussion.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Re: "Zoom" local chapter - based in Birmingham, Alabama

Post by Stinky »

The former "Birmingham, Alabama local chapter" will now be meeting indefinitely via Zoom. Therefore, I've changed the thread title to reflect this update. While we started as a local, in-person chapter, our membership has shifted to more than one-half being outside the local area; therefore, the change in name and focus.

We will meet every other month, generally on the second Sunday of the month, at 4pm Central time.

If you're interested in a small group setting (generally 10-12 folks) where you can pose questions to fellow Bogleheads and get their thoughts, this is a great place for you. In advance of each meeting, I'll poll my mailing list for discussion topics. Anything in the Boglehead universe is open for discussion.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, June 12, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 14, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

BUMP

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 14, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Our next meeting is Sunday, October 9, at 4pm Central time, via Zoom. Please either post on the Forum, private message me, or send an email to birminghambogleheads@gmail.com to get more information.

Thanks to those who joined yesterday's meeting. We covered a lot of topics, including the following:
--- Where is the bottom in the equity market?
--- International investing - what percentage, any "tilts"?
--- Boglehead annual conference in Chicago in October
--- Yields on money market funds and bank high-yield savings
--- Equity mutual funds that focus on high dividend paying stocks
--- Multi year guaranteed annuities (MYGAs)

Our group is an open discussion group, with members proposing items for group discussion. Anything in the Boglehead Universe can be discussed.

Please get in touch with me for more information.

Wayne aka Stinky
NoRoboGuy

Post by NoRoboGuy »

Anyone who lives in the greater Huntsville area may be interested to know we are planning to resume in-person meetings quarterly at the Madison Public Library, tentatively starting in October.

Please message me if you are interested in attending.
There is no free lunch.
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

DATE CHANGE - So that we can discuss items of interest from the annual Boglehead conference

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, October 23, 4pm Central, via Zoom.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Re: "Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter - based in Birmingham

Post by Stinky »

PRIMARY DISCUSSION TOPIC - The in-person Bogleheads conference held in Chicago on October 12-14.

The former "Birmingham local chapter" now meets via Zoom only. While we started as a local, in-person chapter, our membership has shifted to more than one-half being outside the local area; therefore, the change in name and focus.

We will meet on Sunday afternoon every other month, at 4pm Central time.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Re: "Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter - based in Birmingham

Post by Stinky »

PRIMARY DISCUSSION TOPIC - The in-person Bogleheads conference held in Chicago on October 12-14.

The former "Birmingham local chapter" now meets via Zoom only. While we started as a local, in-person chapter, our membership has shifted to more than one-half being outside the local area; therefore, the change in name and focus.

We will meet on Sunday afternoon every other month, at 4pm Central time.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

"Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 11, via Zoom, at 4pm Central time.

The former "Birmingham local chapter" now meets via Zoom only. Anyone, regardless of where they live, is welcome to join us.

If you're interested in a small group setting (generally 10-12 folks) where you can pose questions to fellow Bogleheads and get their thoughts, this is a great place for you. In advance of each meeting, I'll poll my mailing list for discussion topics. Anything in the Boglehead universe is open for discussion. This is very much a "user directed" meeting, where you can bring your questions.

We meet on Sunday afternoons every other month, at 4pm Central time.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: "Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter [Formerly Birmingham, Alabama]

Post by LadyGeek »

To avoid confusion, I retitled the thread to indicate this was the former Birmingham, Alabama chapter.

If you wish to edit the thread's title further, just edit the Subject: line in Post #1.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Stinky

Re: "Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, February 19, via Zoom, at 4pm Central time.

The former "Birmingham local chapter" now meets via Zoom only. Anyone, regardless of where they live, is welcome to join us.

If you're interested in a small group setting (generally 10-12 folks) where you can pose questions to fellow Bogleheads and get their thoughts, this is a great place for you. In advance of each meeting, I'll poll my mailing list for discussion topics. Anything in the Boglehead universe is open for discussion. This is very much a "user directed" meeting, where you can bring your questions.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, April 16, via Zoom, at 4pm Central time.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

"Zoom" Bogleheads local chapter

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, August 13, via Zoom, at 4pm Central time.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")
Topic Author
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NEXT MEETING - Sunday, December 10, via Zoom, at 4pm Central time.

If you're interested in a small group setting (generally 10-12 folks) where you can submit your discussion topics, pose questions to fellow Bogleheads, and get their thoughts, this is a great place for you. In advance of each meeting, I'll poll my mailing list for discussion topics. Anything in the Boglehead universe is open for discussion. This is very much a "user directed" meeting, where you can bring your questions.

Wayne (aka "Stinky")