Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
MathIsMyWayr

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:14 pm Hello, World! LadyGeek has landed in retirement! :beer
"Hello, World!" - don't tell me what you are retiring from. :idea:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks! I was hoping someone would pick up on that. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

printf( "Hello World.\n" );
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Hello, World! LadyGeek has landed in retirement! :beer
YIKES!! What's to become of the World?! Watch out World! :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TGMJ wrote:
TGMJ wrote: My freedom date is April 1,2020.
I was asked to stay on a year to help with transition from acquisition of my firm.
Will be 61 and am hanging in there..😎
Well, I made it.. sure did not expect Covid world and the related impact on our lives at Freedom Time..
In any event, will make the best of it like everyone else!
Best Wishes for good health and happiness to all!!
Congratulations TGMJ on hanging in there and helping with the transitions before punching out! Feels good to go out in style 8-) You're on this most Awesome Retirement Roll Call - this is truly a Class for the history books!

We know you had many plans for your Freedom Time. How are you changing your plans?

We wish you a long and wonderful retirement full of the enjoyment you earned and full of new experiences :happy
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

Congrats to LadyGeek and the rest of the 2020 class. I hope to join you later this year.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jtrob2 wrote: Just retired a month ago, 4/1 to be exact, Turning 59 soon. Worked most of my career for large publicly traded companies, was 21 years with the last one. Work was mostly enjoyable, but I’m WAY ready to move on to the next chapter😁
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Jtrob2, and welcome to this Venerable Retirement Class - we put class and polish on Retirement. 8-)

It's always nice to hear about enjoyable work life transitioning into the next enjoyable chapter of retirement. Must have been awesome working for a large publicly traded company, but now you'll be out on your own. How do you plan to create the structure of your day?

We wish you all the best and we're looking forward to reading about this next chapter of your life :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

George Theo wrote: Retirement date May 29th 2020.
32 years 10 months United States Postal Service.
Congratulations George and welcome to The Active Retired Force, where we stay physically and mentally busy and enjoy our well-deserved retirement. You worked a good service and now you can enjoy a good time off - we wish you a fabulous retirement :D

Please keep us posted (pun intended LOL!) with your retirement reports and how you're navigating this storm.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I've heard this from others, but am now experiencing it myself: The only reason you wear a watch is to know what day it is. :)

Working keeps you constantly aware of the day. Without work, there's nothing to remind you. It's a good feeling, as the stress is gone.

I do wear a watch, but not every day. I use it to track my jogging time.

This is why it's important to get into a daily routine. As Jack Bogle once said "The first thing you should do is get up in the morning. If you don't do that, nothing much else happens." (Presented at one of the Bogleheads Conferences.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:48 am I've heard this from others, but am now experiencing it myself: The only reason you wear a watch is to know what day it is. :)

Working keeps you constantly aware of the day. Without work, there's nothing to remind you. It's a good feeling, as the stress is gone.

I do wear a watch, but I only really use it to track my jogging times.
Does your watch have an am/pm indicator, or does it display the month?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ 2 up. I updated my post.

Actually, it's on 24-hour time display. I never took a liking to AM/PM - that's the engineer in me.

The display shows the day and date as "SA 9". I guess today must be Saturday. :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

A portion of Jack Bogle's first post here on the Bogleheads forum, Jan. 3, 2009:

This is one of the toughest times I've ever seen to figure out what--if anything--to do with our portfolios. . . . the stock market decline--some 40% from the high a year-plus ago, even after the little year-end/year beginning rally we've just seen--could well be anticipating something worse. So what's to be done? We're all in different circumstances, so once again it comes down to assessing probabilities and recognizing the consequences if we're mistaken. I for one--this will not amaze you--intend to Stay the Course.

BOGLEHEADS VIII. I feel badly about investors--especially older and retired investors (the present mess has created great opportunities for younger investors who continue to save, even though they may get, well, greater!)--who have suffered painful losses in this worst-in-my-adult-lifetime market. But I look forward to being with the Bogleheads in Dallas come September. You can't possibly realize how much you warm my soul!

With best wishes for a happier 2009, always,

Jack

www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30384

:idea: It's mid-May and time for the latest Roll Call update for our Retirement Class of 2020!

We now have 18 happy graduates, cleaning out their closets and garages (can't go on cruises :mrgreen:

Already Graduated! Best wishes for a wonderful retirement :happy
01 Jan - Mezpi1 (66)
01 Jan - PartIrish
01 Jan - Clumsum (66)
02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
03 Jan - ls23h (59.5)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)
16 Jan - hammockman (59)
31 Jan - NearlyRetired (58)

06 Mar - Hubris
30 Mar - smitcat

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
01 Apr - Jtrob2 (59)
10 Apr - Speckles

01 May - bookworm (59)
01 May - windscorpion (45)
06 May - LadyGeek
07 May - umk (52)

Graduating Soon! - it's right around the corner everyone! :!:
16 May - Wings2525 (55)
29 May - George Theo
29 May - benladel (63)
__ May - Engaging in sloth (59)
__ May/June - spartanap (59)

01 Jun - blahblahsunshine (49)
05 Jun - GiannaLuna (59)
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
30 Jun - teacher5 (55)
30 Jun - Cruise (67)
30 Jun - BruinBones
__ Jun - IowaFarmBoy (61)

04 Jul - El Greco (65)

15 Sep - ClaycordJCA (61)
30 Sep - printer86 (56)
__ Sep - Aunt Peanut (55)

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Ready3Retire (60)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)
31 Dec - gamboolman
__ ___ - Faith20879
__ ___ - onthecusp (62)
__ ___ - Dug (60)

The Infinity Retirement Class :D
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please advise if you wish to add your name and age and R-date to this Truly Historical Retirement Roll Call :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TGMJ

Post by TGMJ »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:27 pm
TGMJ wrote:
TGMJ wrote: My freedom date is April 1,2020.
I was asked to stay on a year to help with transition from acquisition of my firm.
Will be 61 and am hanging in there..😎
Well, I made it.. sure did not expect Covid world and the related impact on our lives at Freedom Time..
In any event, will make the best of it like everyone else!
Best Wishes for good health and happiness to all!!
Congratulations TGMJ on hanging in there and helping with the transitions before punching out! Feels good to go out in style 8-) You're on this most Awesome Retirement Roll Call - this is truly a Class for the history books!

We know you had many plans for your Freedom Time. How are you changing your plans?

We wish you a long and wonderful retirement full of the enjoyment you earned and full of new experiences :happy
Thank you very much, Miriam.
I had a few different buckets of priorities envisioned for this point- all still in play, but definitely affected by COVID-19..

My leadership work with a professional group has been greatly impacted.. I thought retirement would give me plenty of time to devote to leading a long term strategic plan effort as a means to give back for all the benefits I received over many years, but circumstances have converted that into crisis management to help the group survive.
My work with a charitable foundation to provide assistance to needy cancer patients has ramped up, but with medicine being in turmoil, it is hard to get any traction since non-Covid matters have been pushed to the side for now..
My plans to travel with family are still just that, plans, for obvious reasons...

Like everyone else,I am just trying to do what I can- only so much control we have, right?
Still trying to get my head around the idea that I am retired... after working so long, it is still a bit hard to believe..

Best Wishes to you and all the rest of the BH world,
All things considered, we have so much to be thankful for..😎
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:35 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm All the stuff around Covid-19 has me thinking the soup might get cold in 2020.
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm I am assuming Covid-19 will accelerate my plans to retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. Either I will be thrown out or burnt out by the time this thing runs it's course.
I thought you enjoyed your new work :confused Let us know how you're planning your retirement now with all that's going on.
"Soup's cold". Yes, I am retired or at least that is the plan for now. Not sure if my friends believe me, but that's the plan.
What no more OMY? :twisted:
When are you gonna join us?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Will do good wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:42 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm All the stuff around Covid-19 has me thinking the soup might get cold in 2020.
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm I am assuming Covid-19 will accelerate my plans to retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. Either I will be thrown out or burnt out by the time this thing runs it's course.
I thought you enjoyed your new work :confused Let us know how you're planning your retirement now with all that's going on.
"Soup's cold". Yes, I am retired or at least that is the plan for now. Not sure if my friends believe me, but that's the plan.
I am retired or at least trying it on to see how it fits. Covid-19 caused a lot of disruption and stress at work and I got caught up in the last wave of reductions. Descent possibility I could be recalled in the second half of the year but at this point I have no plans to return.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:42 pm
I am retired or at least trying it on to see how it fits. Covid-19 caused a lot of disruption and stress at work and I got caught up in the last wave of reductions. Descent possibility I could be recalled in the second half of the year but at this point I have no plans to return.
Welcome. The only downside is you can't travel :annoyed
Hope you got a good exit package!
printer86

Post by printer86 »

Pleas add me to the retirement class of 2020. I contacted my manager a couple of weeks ago and told him that I wanted to retire later this year at 56 years old. We worked out a plan where I will train my replacement (remotely, as I already work from home) over the course of the summer. My last day of work will be September 30, 2020.

Our pre-covid retirement plans included at least one major sightseeing trip per year. However, long runs and longer bike rides will have to suffice for now.

Edit: to add age as the rules of the thread state.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Will do good wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:13 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Welcome. The only downside is you can't travel :annoyed
Hope you got a good exit package!
Right now I am just enjoying decompressing and looking at a possible trip or two in the August to November timeframe.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: I am retired or at least trying it on to see how it fits. Covid-19 caused a lot of disruption and stress at work and I got caught up in the last wave of reductions. Descent possibility I could be recalled in the second half of the year but at this point I have no plans to return.
. . .
Right now I am just enjoying decompressing and looking at a possible trip or two in the August to November timeframe.
OK TimeLord, please let us know how retirement fits once you try it on 8-) Second time around may be much more do-able and enjoyable than the first time, being older and better - LOL actually, you're TheTimeLord, so not older, just better :beer

Just let us know your R-date and we'll do a re-boot! And please keep us posted on your retirement plans :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon May 11, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

printer86 wrote: Please add me to the retirement class of 2020. I contacted my manager a couple of weeks ago and told him that I wanted to retire later this year at 56 years old. We worked out a plan where I will train my replacement (remotely, as I already work from home) over the course of the summer. My last day of work will be September 30, 2020.

Our pre-covid retirement plans included at least one major sightseeing trip per year. However, long runs and longer bike rides will have to suffice for now.
Hi printer86! Welcome to this Retirement Class and we included you on the Roll Call :happy Get that replacement trained and up and running so you can PUNCH OUT!

And you'll have the summer to make other plans for trips and adventures. Meanwhile, enjoy your running and walking and pedaling, enjoying this glorious great earth 8-)
printer86 wrote:Edit: to add age as the rules of the thread state.
LOL! This thread has no rules - we just make it up as we move along :D
umk

Post by umk »

After 19 years at the same company (without ever getting a single promotion), I turned in my laptop, corporate card and badge last Thursday 5/7/2020 around 11 am and walked out of the building without any regret. I am looking forward to my retirement and freedom. (Age 52) :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For the very first time, I am saying Congrats! from one retired person to another. :beer

Even though I was home for an entire month before resigning last Wednesday, it didn't hit until yesterday (Sunday). Why? Because every Sunday of my working life was spent preparing for work on Monday - making a lunch, finding my work stuff, etc. I hated Sundays. No more. It's a great feeling. :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

umk wrote: After 19 years at the same company (without ever getting a single promotion), I turned in my laptop, corporate card and badge last Thursday 5/7/2020 around 11 am and walked out of the building without any regret. I am looking forward to my retirement and freedom. (Age 52) :beer
Haha! I never had a promotion either! Just additional work because of my fabulous experience :annoyed Well now you just gave yourself the best promotion - into retirement! You're on the Roll Call Class of 2020.

Ok, here are deep philosophical thoughts (from Seneca, so you know how deep this is :wink:

Everyone is a slave to something, hooked by something
Self mastery is the only true freedom
Being able to control your thoughts, your emotions, your actions - that is liberty
That's what we're after

Umk - what are you going to do in your new freedom? :D
umk

Post by umk »

Umk - what are you going to do in your new freedom?
I had thought about this for a LONG time before the actual retirement date.
Here is my plan:
1. Exercise - 1 hour daily (I plan to run, bike, walk, run, bike, walk, rest 1 day). I want to start preparing for Half Marathon. I can barely run 5 miles.
2. Reading books - 1 hour daily
3. Gardening - 1 hour daily
4. Browsing websites etc. - 1 hour daily
5. Online classes or at community college - 1 hour daily. (I am doing free class on Valuation offered by NYU Professor Aswath Damodaran).
6. Software development/start a small business mainly to help students and/or create jobs - 2-3 hours daily. My entire life was in IT programming, so that is all I know about.

A few things to try:
Research individual stocks for fun - 2-3 hours per week
Learn to play piano (because I have one at home). I never had an opportunity to learn any musical instrument.
Travel in all states in America. (Travel means sleep at least 1 night in each state.)
I want to help non-profits in some way, like managing their websites, Raiser's Edge or other software support etc. (Feel free to contact me if I can help.)
Photography
Overall, I don't think I will be bored. :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Umk gave us his retirement plan 8-)
umk wrote: I had thought about this for a LONG time before the actual retirement date.
Here is my plan:
1. Exercise - 1 hour daily (I plan to run, bike, walk, run, bike, walk, rest 1 day). I want to start preparing for Half Marathon. I can barely run 5 miles.
2. Reading books - 1 hour daily
3. Gardening - 1 hour daily
4. Browsing websites etc. - 1 hour daily
5. Online classes or at community college - 1 hour daily. (I am doing free class on Valuation offered by NYU Professor Aswath Damodaran).
6. Software development/start a small business mainly to help students and/or create jobs - 2-3 hours daily. My entire life was in IT programming, so that is all I know about.

A few things to try:
Research individual stocks for fun - 2-3 hours per week
Learn to play piano (because I have one at home). I never had an opportunity to learn any musical instrument.
Travel in all states in America. (Travel means sleep at least 1 night in each state.)
I want to help non-profits in some way, like managing their websites, Raiser's Edge or other software support etc. (Feel free to contact me if I can help.)
Photography
Overall, I don't think I will be bored. :D
Way to go Umk! - you'll probably take the Class Award for the Most Energetic Retirement To-Do List :beer

This accounts for about 8 hours each day. I assume the remaining 16 hours you're going to spend with us here on the Bogleheads forum :mrgreen:

Please let us know when you mastered Scott Joplin on the piano!

It's truly invigorating just reading your intended retirement plans :D We hope you accomplish all of them and enjoy every minute of every day of your long and exciting retirement.
benladel

Post by benladel »

May 29, 2020 (63)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

benladel wrote: May 29, 2020 (63)
Welcome to the Bogleheads, benladel, and welcome to this most Prestigious Retirement Class of 2020!

So, what brings you to the Bogleheads and what do you have planned for your retirement adventures? it's right around the corner, a mere week away, and you'll be out and free to enjoy a whole new world. We wish you a long and healthy retirement with many good times :D
rsgdmd

Post by rsgdmd »

Almost 62, going from semi-retired to fully retired, retroactive to March 15, 2020. Sold my dental practice in 2018 & was working part-time thru an agency as a temp. dentist. Last day I worked was March 7th.
With Dentists just starting to open back up and the difficulty getting PPE (& so much counterfeit product out there) and the risk (dentists are one of the highest risk for infection), I thought maybe now was the time to stop working, plus there are no temp. jobs available. Spoke to my malpractice carrier & they weren't going to renew me for 2021 (they don't like insuring temp. dentists). So, they'll backdate my retirement to March 15, when ADA recommended dentists to shut down except for emergencies only.
They'll pro-rate a refund of my premium, give me a free tail (which covers me for any possible future claims from treatment previously done), and I'm now officially retired.
benladel

Post by benladel »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm
benladel wrote: May 29, 2020 (63)
Welcome to the Bogleheads, benladel, and welcome to this most Prestigious Retirement Class of 2020!

So, what brings you to the Bogleheads and what do you have planned for your retirement adventures? it's right around the corner, a mere week away, and you'll be out and free to enjoy a whole new world. We wish you a long and healthy retirement with many good times :D
Thank You! i've been following the Bogleheads discussions for a long time and I've benefited from all of the shared knowledge and wisdom. Some previously plans that involve international travels will have to wait for now. The major goal for this summer is to do more gardening and grow some more tomatoes to share with neighbors :D .
Dug

Post by Dug »

After 35 years in management and 60 years old, I informed my boss I plan on retiring from PERS ( CA Government Pension) either in Aug. or Nov.
Due to COVID, challenges of opening schools and the fiscal crisis, good boss wants me to stay through Dec. 31, 2020. He is very concerned with me retiring because my position is hard to fill. My boss said I can telework 3 days per week, which is a bonus. I also have 30+ vacation days so my last work day can be after Thanksgiving.
By delaying my retirement from Aug. to Dec. 31, my pension increases almost $300/mo., not a bad consequence.
But, with only a retired DW of 35+ yrs. and no kids, my pension covers all expenses and my savings and investments provides for a very comfortable retirement of play and entertainment. Technically, I really don't have to work past mid July to retire in August.
I am not sure if I should work a few more months riding out COVID and helping my employer or say adios in August?
Next step, figure out my last day of work and submit my letter of retirement. Either way, I will be in the class of 2020!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dug wrote: After 35 years in management and 60 years old, I informed my boss I plan on retiring from PERS ( CA Government Pension) either in Aug. or Nov. . . Next step, figure out my last day of work and submit my letter of retirement. Either way, I will be in the class of 2020!
Nice! We'll include you on this Roll Call as part of this 2020 Class 8-)
Dug wrote:Due to COVID, challenges of opening schools and the fiscal crisis, good boss wants me to stay through Dec. 31, 2020. He is very concerned with me retiring because my position is hard to fill. My boss said I can telework 3 days per week, which is a bonus. I also have 30+ vacation days so my last work day can be after Thanksgiving.

By delaying my retirement from Aug. to Dec. 31, my pension increases almost $300/mo., not a bad consequence.
But, with only a retired DW of 35+ yrs. and no kids, my pension covers all expenses and my savings and investments provides for a very comfortable retirement of play and entertainment. Technically, I really don't have to work past mid July to retire in August.

I am not sure if I should work a few more months riding out COVID and helping my employer or say adios in August?
Ohhh - that's quite a decision :confused

Work 4 more months, but actually out by Thanksgiving so that's 3 months, and work can be mostly telework, and you'll be helping your good boss fill your irreplaceable position - so sounds like good work at a good job - and receive $300 per month extra pension, and $300 can go a long way . .

My personal makeup would work until the end, quality work until the end, go out in a good way and collect the extra $300 because who knows what the future holds? But these days we have a new and possibly serious health consideration. Will the extra work expose you to the corona virus over and above your usual exposure which could seriously upend all your retirement plans? These would be my thoughts to consider.

What does everyone else say??
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:48 am I've heard this from others, but am now experiencing it myself: The only reason you wear a watch is to know what day it is. :)

I do wear a watch, but not every day. I use it to track my jogging time.

This is why it's important to get into a daily routine. As Jack Bogle once said "The first thing you should do is get up in the morning. If you don't do that, nothing much else happens." (Presented at one of the Bogleheads Conferences.)
Good idea about watch! Going to buy one in 3 years, finely.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Engaging in sloth

Post by Engaging in sloth »

Hi. I just retired Friday May 22. :D . Wife retired Oct 2019.

Have really enjoyed this site and learned a lot from many of you. Thanks :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are happy to announce that the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021 is now open :D

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=315877
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

I wonder if people postpone their retirement due to COVID19, but under such scenario:
You work from home, basically don't do much, and you have nowhere to go and no way to spend money.
I cannot tell how my life will be different if I do retire. It sounds like I will retire just for the sake of it.
Steve K

Post by Steve K »

Retired April 15th at age 59. Wife retired in 2019. Plan to spend most of next 4-5 months at summer home, boating, fishing, etc. Following when it makes sense to travel again, have assorted travel plans, U.S., and international.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rsgdmd wrote: Almost 62, going from semi-retired to fully retired, retroactive to March 15, 2020. Sold my dental practice in 2018 & was working part-time thru an agency as a temp. dentist. Last day I worked was March 7th.
With Dentists just starting to open back up and the difficulty getting PPE (& so much counterfeit product out there) and the risk (dentists are one of the highest risk for infection), I thought maybe now was the time to stop working, plus there are no temp. jobs available. Spoke to my malpractice carrier & they weren't going to renew me for 2021 (they don't like insuring temp. dentists). So, they'll backdate my retirement to March 15, when ADA recommended dentists to shut down except for emergencies only.
They'll pro-rate a refund of my premium, give me a free tail (which covers me for any possible future claims from treatment previously done), and I'm now officially retired.
Hi rsgdmd! Nice to have you part of this fabulous Retirement Class - we'll retro-boot you onto the Roll Call 8-)

Quite interesting to read how you have recently transitioned into retirement. Thank you for sharing :happy

We hope you have a smooth retirement ahead of you as you move into your new life. Please let us know how you're going to structure your days and what new adventures you have planned.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TGMJ wrote: I had a few different buckets of priorities envisioned for this point- all still in play, but definitely affected by COVID-19..

My leadership work with a professional group has been greatly impacted.. I thought retirement would give me plenty of time to devote to leading a long term strategic plan effort as a means to give back for all the benefits I received over many years, but circumstances have converted that into crisis management to help the group survive.

My work with a charitable foundation to provide assistance to needy cancer patients has ramped up, but with medicine being in turmoil, it is hard to get any traction since non-Covid matters have been pushed to the side for now..
My plans to travel with family are still just that, plans, for obvious reasons...

Like everyone else,I am just trying to do what I can- only so much control we have, right?
Still trying to get my head around the idea that I am retired... after working so long, it is still a bit hard to believe..

Best Wishes to you and all the rest of the BH world,
All things considered, we have so much to be thankful for..😎
Thank you for the well-wishes from your fellow Bogleheads - and for sure - "All things considered, we have so much to be thankful for . . 8-) "

We hope you're able to achieve all the good things you were planning to do and that your retirement is a very special time for a very long and healthy time :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

benladel wrote: . . . The major goal for this summer is to do more gardening and grow some more tomatoes to share with neighbors :D .
Our Bogleheads forum is a complete all-in-one fountain of advice on anything and everything personal finance - and of course, gardening is smack in the middle of personal finance (we save money by growing our own food and we spend so much time battling other creatures who are eating our gardens that we don't have time to worry about our portfolios :mrgreen: ) - so here's the gardening thread in case you missed it!
NoMo5O

Post by NoMo5O »

I would like to join your roll call. This is my first post, after joining the forum yesterday. I'll be retiring later this summer after spending 34 years in law enforcement, and my wife will retire about a month before me. We are both currently reading The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, and we've both already gained a lot of new insight into handling our retirement accounts. This has been a long time coming, but we're very much looking forward to the next chapter in life.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! If you want a break from the book, I would also recommend you read the wiki. Start here: Getting started

There's nothing like "live training". If you want a second set of eyes on your retirement accounts, start a thread in the Personal Investments forum and post your portfolio information using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

BTW, your wife is also welcome to join the forum.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NoMo5O wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:17 pm I would like to join your roll call. This is my first post, after joining the forum yesterday. I'll be retiring later this summer after spending 34 years in law enforcement, and my wife will retire about a month before me. We are both currently reading The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, and we've both already gained a lot of new insight into handling our retirement accounts. This has been a long time coming, but we're very much looking forward to the next chapter in life.
Welcome to the Forum! Thank you for your 34 years of service in law enforcement.

I wanted to second LadyGeek’s suggestion about reaching out for any assurance that you’d like. You’ll find that there are a lot of folks here who are more than willing to share their thoughts with you.

Happy retirement soon! Please post when it actually happens.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
staustin

Post by staustin »

Steve K wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm Retired April 15th at age 59. Wife retired in 2019. Plan to spend most of next 4-5 months at summer home, boating, fishing, etc. Following when it makes sense to travel again, have assorted travel plans, U.S., and international.
Very inspiring! Congratulations to you.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

infotrader wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:55 am I wonder if people postpone their retirement due to COVID19, but under such scenario:
You work from home, basically don't do much, and you have nowhere to go and no way to spend money.
I cannot tell how my life will be different if I do retire. It sounds like I will retire just for the sake of it.
My wife now works at home in a very demanding job (10-12 hour days). Despite not being able to immediately fulfill our plan to travel upon her retirement, she is filling her eventual time surfeit with music lessons, added exercise, and home improvement planning.
NoMo5O

Post by NoMo5O »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 pm Welcome! If you want a break from the book, I would also recommend you read the wiki. Start here: Getting started

There's nothing like "live training". If you want a second set of eyes on your retirement accounts, start a thread in the Personal Investments forum and post your portfolio information using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

BTW, your wife is also welcome to join the forum.
Thank you! My wife did recently join the forum. She goes by "NemoCrownie." I'm quite sure we will avail ourselves of the vast knowledge pool residing here, but I will leave the details to my better half. She has the financial brains in the family. Me? I'm just a knuckle dragging cop who is barely smart enough to make sure my shoes get on the right feet.
Jtrob2

Post by Jtrob2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:22 pm
Jtrob2 wrote: Just retired a month ago, 4/1 to be exact, Turning 59 soon. Worked most of my career for large publicly traded companies, was 21 years with the last one. Work was mostly enjoyable, but I’m WAY ready to move on to the next chapter😁
Welcome to the Bogleheads, Jtrob2, and welcome to this Venerable Retirement Class - we put class and polish on Retirement. 8-)

It's always nice to hear about enjoyable work life transitioning into the next enjoyable chapter of retirement. Must have been awesome working for a large publicly traded company, but now you'll be out on your own. How do you plan to create the structure of your day?

We wish you all the best and we're looking forward to reading about this next chapter of your life :happy
How do I plan to structure my day? Great question, I had a loose/general plan going into this
Spend a few hours a week in the yard
About a day of week in “car care”
Morning coffee each day with my beautiful wife
Significant walk/hike each day with our dog
A little time 2-3 days a week on personal finance
Read the WSJ and local paper everyday
Allot of travel, and I have a “honey do list” as long as my arm after a 70% travel job for the past 12 years!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Engaging in sloth wrote: Hi. I just retired Friday May 22. :D . Wife retired Oct 2019.
Thank you for checking in and we're delighted you can now seriously Engage in Sloth :D

As for sloth, well, relaxing after a lifetime of good work is good 8-)

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." --- John Lubbock ("The Use of Life," 1894)
Engaging in sloth wrote:Have really enjoyed this site and learned a lot from many of you. Thanks :beer
Big congratulations from your forum friends on reaching your important retirement milestone! We not only help with retirement, we also help you catch mice in the attic, whiten your teeth, and cook oatmeal with Dr. Pepper 8-)
William Million

Post by William Million »

I'm out in Nov. Congrats to all.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Steve K wrote: Retired April 15th at age 59. Wife retired in 2019. Plan to spend most of next 4-5 months at summer home, boating, fishing, etc. Following when it makes sense to travel again, have assorted travel plans, U.S., and international.
Big Congratulations, Steve K, and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class!

And what a nice relaxing summer to finish your life of work and begin your life of less-stress and more-ease :D Enjoy your summer, please let us know if you catch any fish - do you let them go or do you bring them home for DW to cook?

I have a great recipe for small yellowtail or hog snapper filets =>> rinse filets & pat dry, dredge in my secret coating (dry/uncooked Hungry Jack mashed potato flakes), then saute a few minutes until lightly browned in butter/margarine with a little oil to prevent burning, then add salt and lemon juice. Delish - even fish-hating kids love them :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

NoMo5O wrote: I would like to join your roll call. This is my first post, after joining the forum yesterday. I'll be retiring later this summer after spending 34 years in law enforcement . . .
Welcome to the Bogleheads, NoMo50, and welcome to this Sensational Retirement Roll Call!

And thank you for your 34 years of law enforcement service. Please stay healthy and fit so you can truly enjoy the next phase of your life 8-)
NoMo50 wrote: . . . and my wife will retire about a month before me. We are both currently reading The Bogleheads Guide to Investing, and we've both already gained a lot of new insight into handling our retirement accounts. This has been a long time coming, but we're very much looking forward to the next chapter in life.
Nice! Stick with us and you'll grow even stronger in your ability to handle your retirement accounts. Knowledge is powerful and empowering and financially rewarding. Plus we also help you fix your computer, catch mice in the attic, buy long underwear, and cook oatmeal with Dr. Pepper :D
NoMo5O wrote: . . . My wife did recently join the forum. . . . I'm quite sure we will avail ourselves of the vast knowledge pool residing here, but I will leave the details to my better half. She has the financial brains in the family.
Perfectly normal. I'm convinced there is a financial magnet imbedded in us somewhere that attracts our financial opposites. That way one spouse handles the finances while the other does something else equally important for the perfect union :wink:
NoMo50 wrote:Me? I'm just a knuckle dragging cop who is barely smart enough to make sure my shoes get on the right feet.
Au contraire, NoMo50 - it's not a cop thing, it's a guy thing. My DH wears his sandals on the wrong feet, buttons his shirts lopsided, and wears his PJ's backwards.

** PS - for help with abbreviations and acronyms :happy see our wiki https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Abbrevi ... d_Acronyms