Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Wings2525

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by Wings2525 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:54 pm
Wings2525 wrote: Submitted my paperwork for 5/16/2020! Retiring at age 55 with 35 years split between law enforcement (separated because of duty disability) and the electric and gas utility industry, primarily in power generation/hydroelectric. 35 years of shift work is finally coming to an end.
Hi Wings2525! Very happy to have you part of this wonderful Retirement Class :happy

Three more months, not long at all, and you'll be f-r-e-e- - - - from all that shift work. Bogleheads have interesting work experience, and 35 years of shift work certainly counts as a well-earned spring board into a good retirement. And retiring at the young age of 55 gives you time for many new experiences. How are you going to fill your time?
Wings2525 wrote:I really appreciate the education that Bogleheads forum provides!
You can say that again! We even learn how to catch mice in the attic and make oatmeal with Dr. Pepper :D
Thanks for the well wishes. I cannot begin to tell you, that although I'm not even a month into retirement, it's been such a blessing. Much less stress, much better sleep. Happy to be able to help DW with gardening, landscaping etc and even able to sneak in a day of fishing. So much to do and try, and finally the time to do it. Best to all!
Say Ya to Da UP, eh?
Steve K

Post by Steve K »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:17 pm
Steve K wrote: Retired April 15th at age 59. Wife retired in 2019. Plan to spend most of next 4-5 months at summer home, boating, fishing, etc. Following when it makes sense to travel again, have assorted travel plans, U.S., and international.
Big Congratulations, Steve K, and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class!

And what a nice relaxing summer to finish your life of work and begin your life of less-stress and more-ease :D Enjoy your summer, please let us know if you catch any fish - do you let them go or do you bring them home for DW to cook?

Thank you very much. I do let them go, catch and release.

I have a great recipe for small yellowtail or hog snapper filets =>> rinse filets & pat dry, dredge in my secret coating (dry/uncooked Hungry Jack mashed potato flakes), then saute a few minutes until lightly browned in butter/margarine with a little oil to prevent burning, then add salt and lemon juice. Delish - even fish-hating kids love them :beer
The recipe sounds great, will have to try it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ If you want more ideas: So what are you cooking
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

One nice aspect of retirement is that I can learn what I want, when I want. There's no pressure about tuition, making a certain grade, or wondering if it's all worthwhile for that elusive career advancement. I can use what I learn for myself. It might even lead to some new hobbies.

I found a computer science course here: edX | Free Online Courses by Harvard, MIT, & more There's no charge to audit the course. Everything is free as long as you don't want a certificate.

After viewing the first lecture, it was time to complete and submit the first project. Yes, nothing ever changes - avoiding homework. I somehow found a few more things to do around the house. :D

However, I did complete the first project. Instead of pressure, it was satisfying to learn something new. And I didn't have to write a paper.

I'll continue to complete the course, as it's a prerequisite for another course I want to take.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: After viewing the first lecture, it was time to complete and submit the first project. Yes, nothing ever changes - avoiding homework. I somehow found a few more things to do around the house. :D
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of LadyGeek vacuuming her carpets :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cruise wrote: My wife now works at home in a very demanding job (10-12 hour days). Despite not being able to immediately fulfill our plan to travel upon her retirement, she is filling her eventual time surfeit with music lessons, added exercise, and home improvement planning.
She's a keeper, Cruise! But watch out - isn't "home improvement planning" a nice way of describing the agony of tearing out the old kitchen and bathrooms, living in dust and old tile for months, then installing $50,000 or more in the shape of new cabinets, sinks, etc :wink:
Jtrob2 wrote: How do I plan to structure my day? Great question, I had a loose/general plan going into this
Spend a few hours a week in the yard
About a day of week in “car care”
Morning coffee each day with my beautiful wife
Significant walk/hike each day with our dog
A little time 2-3 days a week on personal finance
Read the WSJ and local paper everyday
Allot of travel, and I have a “honey do list” as long as my arm after a 70% travel job for the past 12 years!
This is a beautiful plan! Thank you for sharing and please let us know how it goes - especially the Honey-Do-List :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

William Million wrote: I'm out in Nov. Congrats to all.
All righty William Million, you're on this fantabulous Retirement Roll Call :D Keep us posted on your date and let us know what you have planned to do with all your free time and many millions 8-)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:19 am
Cruise wrote: My wife now works at home in a very demanding job (10-12 hour days). Despite not being able to immediately fulfill our plan to travel upon her retirement, she is filling her eventual time surfeit with music lessons, added exercise, and home improvement planning.
She's a keeper, Cruise! But watch out - isn't "home improvement planning" a nice way of describing the agony of tearing out the old kitchen and bathrooms, living in dust and old tile for months, then installing $50,000 or more in the shape of new cabinets, sinks, etc :wink:
If only $50K would do the trick in our HCOL area!

Note: With COVID-19 restricting our hopes of travel, my wife is now rethinking retirement. She saying "What am I going to do?"

Second Note: "Just when I want to get out, they pull me back in." My full retirement scheduled for 6/30 due to my licensure expiration has now been extended to at least 7/30. And, I am able to petition for a further extension at the discretion of the licensing board. I'm going to try to keep it active as I am going a bit bonkers with no travel and my wife not being sure about when she will cut the cord. An occasional gig might make me feel like I am contributing something. It is good to have the option whether to work or not.

Be safe, everybody.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

6-30 will be my last day after 27 years as my megacorp offered a retirement package that I could not refuse. A good amount of money great medical that will get me close to Medicare and cover the family.

I was planning on retiring at the end of the year on my own but this just pushed me over the edge. Folks I work with already say I seem much less stressed even though my upper management still is giving me new assignments to complete before I leave. Trying to get blood out of a stone
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

badbreath wrote: 6-30 will be my last day after 27 years as my megacorp offered a retirement package that I could not refuse. A good amount of money great medical that will get me close to Medicare and cover the family.

I was planning on retiring at the end of the year on my own but this just pushed me over the edge. Folks I work with already say I seem much less stressed even though my upper management still is giving me new assignments to complete before I leave. Trying to get blood out of a stone
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, badbreath, and welcome to the Land of the Happily Unemployed! :D

"A retirement package that I could not refuse" - it sounds great. Thank goodness they realized you deserved a great package. Now all you have to do is get all your punch-out papers in line and make it through the next two weeks - will fly by like a flash :D

What's on the retirement agenda?
Dug

Post by Dug »

After 25 years in public education administration and before that 10 yrs in mega corp, I told my boss I was retiring in August. But with COVID impact to schools and CA state budget crash, my good boss freaked and convinced me to stay until 12/31/2020. We agreed I can telework 3 days a week then burn my vacation from Thanksgiving thru December 31st.
Right now work is so busy it is hard to think this is really going to happen. Didn't quite retire in my 50's but I will retire at 60.
DW been semi retired for a couple years and we plan to buy an RV and hit the road to the mountains of USA and Canada. Goal is to simplify life, play with my wife and best friend and see what life has to offer.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dug wrote: After 25 years in public education administration and before that 10 yrs in mega corp, I told my boss I was retiring in August. But with COVID impact to schools and CA state budget crash, my good boss freaked and convinced me to stay until 12/31/2020. We agreed I can telework 3 days a week then burn my vacation from Thanksgiving thru December 31st.
Right now work is so busy it is hard to think this is really going to happen. Didn't quite retire in my 50's but I will retire at 60.
Thank you for your update and we'll include your new plans on the re-boot :D

Bogleheads are very important people and we're impressed with how your good boss freaked out when learned about your upcoming retirement. Very classy of you to stay on and help them out, keep that education system up and running, train your poor replacement for your irreplaceable work, telecommute and tele-retirement-party - then out the door FREEE!!
Dug wrote:DW been semi retired for a couple years and we plan to buy an RV and hit the road to the mountains of USA and Canada. Goal is to simplify life, play with my wife and best friend and see what life has to offer.
Sounds divine 8-)

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road."

--- "The Song of the Open Road," by Walt Whitman, 1856.

Enjoy your travels to the great mountains - with NO deadline for returning home!! What a feeling of freedom :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

For those retirees who are looking for something to do tonight, here is the complete "Retirement Roll Call Series" :happy

Link to Retirement Class of 1998

Link to Retirement Class of 2014

Link to Retirement Class of 2015

Link to Retirement Class of 2016

Link to Retirement Class of 2017

Link to Retirement Class of 2018

Link to Retirement Class of 2019

Link to Retirement Class of 2020

Link to Retirement Class of 2021

For anyone not on the Roll Call lists, it is never too late, just click on the applicable link and add your name to the list!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engaging in sloth

Post by Engaging in sloth »

Hi I retired May 21. It has been a weird time, in part due to covid, but also because I hurt my wrist mtn biking a few days before I retired- thus the last days of work were subdued, as has been the time since.

We have a few vacations coming up :D and a few we cancelled due to covid :annoyed

One result of the preceding events has been spending a lot of time on Bogleheads. I am still learning from you guys. You are intellectually challenging my conservative financial predilections. :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Engaging in sloth wrote: Hi I retired May 21. It has been a weird time, in part due to covid, but also because I hurt my wrist mtn biking a few days before I retired- thus the last days of work were subdued, as has been the time since.

We have a few vacations coming up :D and a few we cancelled due to covid :annoyed
Mountain biking?! Slothie - you really know how to get out and enjoy the great outdoors!
Engaging in sloth wrote:One result of the preceding events has been spending a lot of time on Bogleheads. I am still learning from you guys. You are intellectually challenging my conservative financial predilections. :happy
Ooohh - inquiring minds are very curious to know what your "conservative financial predilections" were - or are - and how the Bogleheads are "intellectually challenging" them :?:
sgr000

Post by sgr000 »

I'm out, as of Tuesday, age 65yr 4mo. Mostly voluntarily, though COVID-19 does have me spooked a bit. But we have about a year's worth of cash on hand, so we can leave the portfolio alone for a while. (Ironically, my now-former employer's first move was to mess up my health insurance, creating a coverage gap from now until the paper work is done for retiree coverage.)

Thinking of looking for a part-time gig as a professor, teaching statistics. Or maybe a blog. (Blogs are passé now, right? Because I never do anything fashionable.)

The immediately pressing tasks are: tax prep, health insurance, keep talking to lawyer about estate plan, price LTC insurance (probably a hybrid life/LTC single premium), hope the portfolio heals up a bit in the next year.

How long does it take for the work-related nightmares to stop?
Last edited by sgr000 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

About 1 month. :) If this applies - Due to payroll cycles, you should wait until you receive your final paycheck before moving your 401(k) out from under your employer's grips and into an IRA.

There is no gap. You are now covered under COBRA, so I'm confused. Can you explain what "mess up my health insurance" means?

FYI - COBRA coverage should be cheaper than retiree coverage unless they reduce the premiums based on years of service.
sgr000

Post by sgr000 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 pmThere is no gap. You are now covered under COBRA, so I'm confused. Can you explain what "mess up my health insurance" means?

FYI - COBRA coverage should be cheaper than retiree coverage unless they reduce the premiums based on years of service.
In order to get the retiree medical plan, it is explicitly required in their documentation that I refuse COBRA. However, employee insurance ceases on the last day of the month one quits, whereas retiree coverage doesn't start until the last paycheck processes through and the paperwork (on actual paper!) goes through (which takes about 3 weeks). So since I quit on the last day of the month, employee coverage ceased immediately and there's a gap of about 3 weeks.

(I was assured that the coverage "will be retroactive". But try going to an ER with a promise of retroactive insurance to be named later. Unfortunately, the HR systems were too cumbersome to allow me to delay retirement by the single day needed to patch up the problem.
I'm debating buying a short-term policy to patch up the holes, just in case.)

And yes, there is a subsidy here for the insurance based on years of service. It's still more expensive than if I buy a comparable plan in the marketplace, but it serves as a bridge to Medicare for my spouse. If the ACA looked less under attack, I would consider that for my spouse, but for now I'm unwilling to bet our insurance that the ACA will survive all attacks for the requisite number of years. This may change, and then I'll reassess.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ouch. Would it help if you contacted the medical insurance provider directly and explained the situation? Let them know that you're under COBRA now, but the paperwork is mucked up. See if you can find a way to document your situation.

Another source would be to contact a medical insurance broker (that's what I did). They do this stuff on a daily basis. Even if you might not be a potential client now, they'll try to help. It's good PR for them, as they'll be the first person you'll turn to when you need their help for real.

You have nothing to lose in either situation - just your time on the phone.
sgr000

Post by sgr000 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 pmOuch. Would it help if you contacted the medical insurance provider directly and explained the situation? Let them know that you're under COBRA now, but the paperwork is mucked up. See if you can find a way to document your situation.

Another source would be to contact a medical insurance broker (that's what I did). They do this stuff on a daily basis. Even if you might not be a potential client now, they'll try to help. It's good PR for them, as they'll be the first person you'll turn to when you need their help for real.
The crux of the problem is outsourcing: all retirement-related benefits were outsourced to another company.
  • So the HR folk have never retired anyone, nor have much idea what the process is. They just tell you to contact the other company.
  • The other company won't talk to you as long as you're still an employee; I did manage to coerce them into talking to me, but they won't process the forms until they get a termination notice.
So... it sort of requires a leap into the dark.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sgr000 wrote: I'm out, as of Tuesday. Mostly voluntarily, though COVID-19 does have me spooked a bit. But we have about a year's worth of cash on hand, so we can leave the portfolio alone for a while. (Ironically, my now-former employer's first move was to mess up my health insurance, creating a coverage gap from now until the paper work is done for retiree coverage.)

Thinking of looking for a part-time gig as a professor, teaching statistics. Or maybe a blog. (Blogs are passé now, right? Because I never do anything fashionable.)

The immediately pressing tasks are: tax prep, health insurance, keep talking to lawyer about estate plan, price LTC insurance (probably a hybrid life/LTC single premium), hope the portfolio heals up a bit in the next year.
Congratulations sgr000 on pulling the plug and punching OUT of the rat race! You're included on this Most Fabulous Retirement Roll Call :D

Retirement is that special time of life when we relax from the grind and free our minds to enjoy simple pleasures. So - inquiring minds wonder . . . well, working as a professor, teaching statistics . . . :mrgreen: . . . you must be really great with numbers and all your marbles must still be intact and lined up perfectly 8-) We hope you succeed and wish you good luck finding enjoyable retirement activities and getting all your retirement ducks lined up.
sgr000 wrote:How long does it take for the work-related nightmares to stop?
For me - about 6 months, very slowly, because we have years and years of well-formed habits of doing and thinking that filled our days while we were working. Then to just stop is difficult. The structure is gone. All that is . . poof! The habits aren't there or are irrelevant. It's a whole new day and life. But don't worry, before you know it you'll really enjoy your free space of time and the absence of stress weighing you down :D

Here's a statistics-type thought from Charlie Munger, at age 93 - "If you've got anything you really want to do, don't wait until you're 93."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Retiring means that you won't be collecting W-2 wages for the rest of the year. Why is that important? Tax withholding.

With a freshly updated spreadsheet, I went to the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator and dropped in the numbers. To my surprise, I've already exceeded my tax withholding for the year. :shock:

I did a sanity check with my 2019 H&R Block tax software. It's "good enough" to confirm the IRS calculator results.

Bear in mind that I have 2 events this year which impact taxes - retirement (reduced wages) and loss of husband (Social Security income stopped earlier this year). I also have a pension from my prior employer. I followed the IRS calculator guidance and modified my W-4p to increase the allowances.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Half-way through this year and the 4th of July! What a great independence day!!
After all the good work everyone here did for the boss, you deserve big fireworks :sharebeer

We now have 34 excited graduates!

Already Graduated! Celebrating new freedom and the beginning of a wonderful new adventure :D
01 Jan - Mezpi1 (66)
01 Jan - PartIrish
01 Jan - Clumsum (66)
02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
03 Jan - ls23h (59.5)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)
16 Jan - hammockman (59)
31 Jan - NearlyRetired (58)

06 Mar - Hubris
15 Mar - rsgdmd (62)
30 Mar - smitcat

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
01 Apr - Jtrob2 (59)
10 Apr - Speckles
15 Apr - Steve K (59)

01 May - bookworm (59)
01 May - windscorpion (45)
06 May - LadyGeek (ageless & timeless)
07 May - umk (52)
16 May - Wings2525 (55)
21 May - Engaging in sloth (59)
29 May - George Theo
29 May - benladel (63)
__ May/June - spartanap (59)

01 Jun - blahblahsunshine (49)
05 Jun - GiannaLuna (59)
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
30 Jun - teacher5 (55)
30 Jun - BruinBones
30 Jun - badbreath
30 Jun - sgr000
__ Jun - IowaFarmBoy (61)

04 Jul - El Greco (65)

Graduating Soon! - get your bond tent or your buckets or your bonds or beer mug or whatever you have filled and ready to go :moneybag
30 Jul - Cruise (67)

15 Sep - ClaycordJCA (61)
30 Sep - printer86 (56)
__ Sep - Aunt Peanut (55)

__ Nov - William Million

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Ready3Retire (60)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)
31 Dec - gamboolman
31 Dec - Dug (60)
__ ___ - Faith20879
__ ___ - onthecusp (62)
__ ___ - NoMo50

The Infinity Retirement Class :D
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Get ready for the last semester - please let me know if you're in the class, or if I made any goofs :wink:
BG43017

Post by BG43017 »

July 31, 2020. 64 years young! 42 years and 11 months, 1 month and 7 days shy of my 43rd anniversary! The megacorp offered a small retirement incentive package in an attempt to offset the financial impact associated of the virus. Only time will tell if they will be successful.

Looking forward to starting the next phase of our lives!
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 pm Half-way through this year and the 4th of July! What a great independence day!!
After all the good work everyone here did for the boss, you deserve big fireworks :sharebeer

We now have 34 excited graduates!

Already Graduated! Celebrating new freedom and the beginning of a wonderful new adventure :D
01 Jan - Mezpi1 (66)
01 Jan - PartIrish
01 Jan - Clumsum (66)
02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
03 Jan - ls23h (59.5)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)
16 Jan - hammockman (59)

06 Mar - Hubris
15 Mar - rsgdmd (62)
30 Mar - smitcat

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
01 Apr - Jtrob2 (59)
10 Apr - Speckles
15 Apr - Steve K (59)

01 May - bookworm (59)
07 May - umk (52)
16 May - Wings2525 (55)
29 May - George Theo
29 May - benladel (63)

05 Jun - GiannaLuna (59)
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
30 Jun - teacher5 (55)
30 Jun - BruinBones
30 Jun - badbreath
30 Jun - sgr000

04 Jul - El Greco (65)

Graduating Soon! - get your bond tent or your buckets or your bonds or beer mug or whatever you have filled and ready to go :moneybag
30 Jul - Cruise (67)

15 Sep - ClaycordJCA (61)
30 Sep - printer86 (56)

__ Nov - William Million

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)
31 Dec - gamboolman
31 Dec - Dug (60)
__ ___ - Faith20879
__ ___ - onthecusp (62)
__ ___ - NoMo50

The Infinity Retirement Class :D
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Get ready for the last semester - please let me know if you're in the class, or if I made any goofs :wink:
Since you keep such meticulous records (thank you!), I need to remove my name from the list. It turns out that I was able to renew my license, so technically I am still in the semi-retired subclass. Glad to see so many people fully retired and making the most of it! :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cruise wrote: Since you keep such meticulous records (thank you!)
You're welcome, but you should see my clutter :mrgreen:
Cruise wrote:I need to remove my name from the list. It turns out that I was able to renew my license, so technically I am still in the semi-retired subclass. Glad to see so many people fully retired and making the most of it! :)
Ok great, please let me know when you wish to be re-booted onto the Roll Call 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BG43017 wrote: July 31, 2020. 64 years young! 42 years and 11 months, 1 month and 7 days shy of my 43rd anniversary! The megacorp offered a small retirement incentive package in an attempt to offset the financial impact associated of the virus. Only time will tell if they will be successful.

Looking forward to starting the next phase of our lives!
Wow! Your first post, BG43017, and what a good post - a retirement incentive package and the doors open to retirement! Welcome to this Most Extraordinary Retirement Class and you're on the Roll Call :D

Just shy of your anniversary - great! But what anniversary? At Megacorp? About time to get out! That's close enough, I'd call it 43 years 8-)

You're out in 4 days! Please keep us posted on how you do with your incentive package. I guess you might as well invest it since there's nowhere to go :mrgreen:
Talisker

Post by Talisker »

Put me down for 8/7/2020

63.5 yo and took early out offer!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Talisker wrote: Put me down for 8/7/2020

63.5 yo and took early out offer!
Way to go Talisker! Take the early offer and PUNCH OUT! Welcome to this Fantabulous Retirement Class and you're ON the Roll Call!

We Bogleheads are a curious bunch - inquiring minds are interested in your retirement plans and how you're going to structure your retirement asset allocation :wink:

We hope you have a long and exciting retirement filled with fun times, good friends and family and health. :D
maribullah

Post by maribullah »

Sorry I'm so late to the party, but you all are having so much fun I couldn't resist joining! I was February 1, 2020 and loving every minute!
Talisker

Post by Talisker »

Thanks for the well wishes!

The early out option came unexpectedly, with a short window to make a decision. Paid the house off, and grabbed the early out.

Partial pay and benefits will continue, so no need to tap retirement assets or SS yet.

His
401(k) 25% Vanguard Total Stock Market (1.4 bp expense)
70% Vanguard Total Bond (4 bp expense)
5% Stable Value Fund (27 bp expense)
Low equity allocation due to rolling over IRA to 401(k). Prefer to DCA rollover cash into equities over the next year and a half. Target allocation 40/60.

Hers
401(k) 100% Equities, varied.

Pushing Fire Calc out to 40 years and still shows a 100% success rate of providing required income.

Rental properties (owned with family) are paid off and icing on the cake. Two kids in college are last big expense.

Still trying to wrap my head around our new found freedom. Due to travel, my job has never allowed me to normal scheduled activities, so looking forward next Spring to joining a regular golf league. Tons of projects around the house, and enough travel to keep my DW happy.

Appreciate the daily dose of Bogleheads over the last decade. Lots of good ideas and motivation to stay on track!
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

I had previously posted in the 2021 class because that was my plan. However, my company has decided that many of us with over 30 years need to retire this year. I was told that 10/31/2020 will be my last day of employment. However, 30 weeks of severance pay and 1 year of subsidized health care makes it feel like the company is paying me 3/5 of my salary to NOT work. I can handle that. :) (Also, I can also not file for pension for up to two years and build up years of service).

I will continue with my plans on doing work around the house with the goal of selling in 2021 and hopefully moving to either North Carolina or Tennessee. I had used some furlough weeks earlier this summer to look at communities on those states. Still undecided as I want to visit eastern NC and Crossville, TN.

Congrats to all on this list that have already started their retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

maribullah wrote: Sorry I'm so late to the party, but you all are having so much fun I couldn't resist joining! I was February 1, 2020 and loving every minute!
Welcome to the Bogleheads, maribullah, and welcome to this great Retirement Roll Call!

So you retired on Feb. 1, 2020 - that was almost 8 months ago, seems like 8 years ago :mrgreen: What have you been doing in your new-found retirement life? Did you have to change any of your well-thought-out financial ideas or life plans?

We hope you have a long and exciting retirement :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GlennK wrote: I had previously posted in the 2021 class because that was my plan. However, my company has decided that many of us with over 30 years need to retire this year. I was told that 10/31/2020 will be my last day of employment. However, 30 weeks of severance pay and 1 year of subsidized health care makes it feel like the company is paying me 3/5 of my salary to NOT work. I can handle that. :) (Also, I can also not file for pension for up to two years and build up years of service).
Thank you for this update, GlennK, and we'll reboot you onto this Really Special Retirement Roll Call :D
GlennK wrote:I will continue with my plans on doing work around the house with the goal of selling in 2021 and hopefully moving to either North Carolina or Tennessee. I had used some furlough weeks earlier this summer to look at communities on those states. Still undecided as I want to visit eastern NC and Crossville, TN.
Good luck with your "doing work around the house" 8-) They say that decluttering and downsizing is true liberation - I can't confirm that, since I'm still stuck in the middle of it all, but sounds heavenly to me. We wish you good luck with your plans and good fortune with your severance pay :D
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:47 pm you take the Roll Call's Most Coveted Award as The Most Senior Boglehead of the Class, since you joined our fabulous forum on March 2, 2007, only 11 days after bogleheads.org was formed on February 19, 2007 :D How cool is that!? You must have one truly fabulous portfolio :beer
Thank you, thank you very much! (doing an Elvis impersonation). I'll take any award I can. :D

It is official, my last day is 10/31/2020 (age 60).

Have been working part-time (60%) since 2019 and really enjoyed the reduced workload. Was hoping to continue until they make us go back into the office but company decided to eliminate the part-time workforce. Guess I am not that important after all. :(

Very grateful to the Bogleheads and previously Vanguard Diehards. I was never the brightest crayon in the box. Two things were going for me: 1. was a born minimalist (hack I was able to save a good % on a $600 stipend as a graduate assistant) and 2. came to learn Taylor's teaching early in my career.

No big plans for the extra free time yet. Perhaps will spend some time improving my cooking skills. Grew up in a boarding school so never properly learned how to cook. Now I have all the time in the world.
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

Never thought at the start of this crazy year that this would be my year, but I work for one of the major oil companies and our EOI period will begin tomorrow. After much thought the package was too good to turn down. It would take my wife and I ten years of savings to hit that number and I have no desire to work until I am 74. So it is a no-brainer to take the money and run. Celebrated the coming good news by buying weekday pass to local ski resort and a set of skis. Looks like I will have a lot of unplanned time on my hands in 2021!!!
cjclueless

Post by cjclueless »

Well, count me in! My last day will be 1 October of this year. I am 55.

I have been waiting for this for a couple of years but it is still strange. I will have deferred comp payments inbound in varying degrees for about 10 years so kind of like getting an annual paycheck and likely won't have to touch other accounts.

There's plenty of money from various sources and I know we will be fine but it sure is hard to drop into that spend phase from years of accumulation mentality.

Looking forward to continuing education, more volunteering and some travel -- most of which will depend on our friend COVID

Cheers to all,
CJ
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

August 31 at age 53!

Am already tired of hearing "where are you going to work next" but don't want to explain the concept of FI.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

gwe67 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm August 31 at age 53!

Am already tired of hearing "where are you going to work next" but don't want to explain the concept of FI.
If ever there was a year where you could tell people I don't know I just feel like I want to take a break after all the craziness this year it is 2020.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Talisker wrote: . . . Pushing Fire Calc out to 40 years and still shows a 100% success rate of providing required income. . . .

Still trying to wrap my head around our new found freedom. Due to travel, my job has never allowed me to normal scheduled activities, so looking forward next Spring to joining a regular golf league. Tons of projects around the house, and enough travel to keep my DW happy.

Appreciate the daily dose of Bogleheads over the last decade. Lots of good ideas and motivation to stay on track!
Thank you for the nice update! I guess after 40 years you'll reassess your portfolio :D

It's quite difficult sometimes to wrap our heads around our new found retirement freedom. My husband couldn't do it easily. He was a man without a country. He was so imbedded so happily and so proficiently in his job that when mandatory age-out retirement came, he was wandering. He loved to read, to talk, to yak, to write, to talk what he wrote, to discuss, to discuss what he read and wrote - enough to drive his family crazy - so he returned to work part-time and life was more back to normal :D

Enjoy your golf league, enjoy tackling and completing your projects around the house :mrgreen: and with good fortune you and your wife will be traveling soon. We wish you an enjoyable retirement!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Faith20879 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: you take the Roll Call's Most Coveted Award as The Most Senior Boglehead of the Class, since you joined our fabulous forum on March 2, 2007, only 11 days after bogleheads.org was formed on February 19, 2007 :D How cool is that!? You must have one truly fabulous portfolio :beer
Thank you, thank you very much! (doing an Elvis impersonation). I'll take any award I can. :D
Haha! As of now, you're still our Most Senior Boglehead (by 2 days) and you're in the lead for The Most Coveted Award 8-)
Faith20879 wrote:It is official, my last day is 10/31/2020 (age 60).

Have been working part-time (60%) since 2019 and really enjoyed the reduced workload. Was hoping to continue until they make us go back into the office but company decided to eliminate the part-time workforce. Guess I am not that important after all. :(
Au contraire, you were THE most important part of the workforce. You were so special they couldn't afford to pay you what you were (and are) worth :D
Faith20879 wrote:Very grateful to the Bogleheads and previously Vanguard Diehards. I was never the brightest crayon in the box. Two things were going for me: 1. was a born minimalist (heck I was able to save a good % on a $600 stipend as a graduate assistant) and 2. came to learn Taylor's teaching early in my career.
Yes, it all comes back to Taylor. His vision in 1998 of where an on-line community of personal investors like us from around the world could ask personal financial Qs and receive intelligent, helpful answers, all in Taylor's cordial, courtly and decent manner, and inspired by Jack Bogle has made all the difference.

Fortunately, Taylor - now 96 years young 8-) - has seen how successful his vision has turned out and how useful his simple Three Fund Portfolio has been to so many of us.

Taylor with the Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio managers :D

Left to Right: Total Bond Manager, Josh Barrickman; Total Stock Manager, Gerry O'Reilly; Taylor Larimore; Total International Manager, Mike Perre.
Taken 10/2013, at Bogleheads Conference 12.

Faith20879 wrote:No big plans for the extra free time yet. Perhaps will spend some time improving my cooking skills. Grew up in a boarding school so never properly learned how to cook. Now I have all the time in the world.
Haha! My daughter grew up with ME and she never learned to cook! She always had more "important" things to do :confused

We wish you many enjoyable times doing whatever you want to do on your own schedule as a member of the Retired Class 8-)
AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn »

Retired from the Civil Service at the end of 2011, but then immediately went to work half time at a local university. When covid-19 came along, shifted to working from home. Now have no interest in setting foot on campus again. College students think they are invincible. Fully pulled the plug on 24 Aug 2020 at the ripe old age of 70. Somehow my days seem busier now than they were before I quit.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DurangoWino wrote: Never thought at the start of this crazy year that this would be my year, but I work for one of the major oil companies and our EOI period will begin tomorrow. After much thought the package was too good to turn down. It would take my wife and I ten years of savings to hit that number and I have no desire to work until I am 74. So it is a no-brainer to take the money and run.
Sounds like a sensible and terrific plan to me :D I'd take the money and run - ah, run to Vanguard and pile it all in :greedy After buying the ski passes, of course!
DurangoWino wrote:Celebrated the coming good news by buying weekday pass to local ski resort and a set of skis. Looks like I will have a lot of unplanned time on my hands in 2021!!!
Very nice plans and it won't be long, snow is just around the corner.

Welcome to this Retirement Class, you're gonna love that unplanned retirement time. We wish you many enjoyable years out on the slopes in the winter, on the trails in the summer, and doing whatever you want to do when you want to do it all year long 8-) Please keep us posted on your adventures.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cjclueless wrote: Well, count me in! My last day will be 1 October of this year. I am 55.

I have been waiting for this for a couple of years but it is still strange. I will have deferred comp payments inbound in varying degrees for about 10 years so kind of like getting an annual paycheck and likely won't have to touch other accounts.

There's plenty of money from various sources and I know we will be fine but it sure is hard to drop into that spend phase from years of accumulation mentality.

Looking forward to continuing education, more volunteering and some travel -- most of which will depend on our friend COVID
Cheers to all,
CJ
Hi cjclueless and welcome to this Most Awesome Retirement Class! You're on the Roll Call - and October 1st is here before we know it 8-) Hope you have all your paperwork in perfect order to punch out, then it looks like you're all set to slowly slide from accumulation to decumulation- you'll figure it out 8-)

May we suggest mornings full of coffee and pastries while you slowly decide what to do that day, followed by a nap and calls to dear friends and family, and evenings full of unhurried dinners and lots of wine or whiskey?
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

gwe67 wrote: August 31 at age 53!

Congratulations on your retirement, gwe67, and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!

We won't ask you to explain the concept of Financial Independence :D but we're curious how you're investing your portfolio and what your plans are to weather this potentially impending portfolio implosion :wink:

We wish you many good years of a long and rewarding retirement, filled with new experiences and fun times :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AstroJohn wrote: Retired from the Civil Service at the end of 2011, but then immediately went to work half time at a local university. When covid-19 came along, shifted to working from home. Now have no interest in setting foot on campus again. College students think they are invincible. Fully pulled the plug on 24 Aug 2020 at the ripe old age of 70. Somehow my days seem busier now than they were before I quit.
Hi AstroJohn! Isn't that the truth! 8-) So many retirees have the same experience - we're busier now than when we were working, and we have so much to do, we can't find the time to get it all done. I suspect it's because when we were working, we really didn't do everything - we worked and let our other projects and hobbies and stuff pile up - where they still sit until TODAY, when we're retired and should have the time to go through them :mrgreen:

You're on the Roll Call! Congratulations on pulling the plug :D Please keep us posted on your retirement adventures.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

AstroJohn wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:22 am Retired from the Civil Service at the end of 2011, but then immediately went to work half time at a local university. When covid-19 came along, shifted to working from home. Now have no interest in setting foot on campus again. College students think they are invincible. Fully pulled the plug on 24 Aug 2020 at the ripe old age of 70. Somehow my days seem busier now than they were before I quit.
During long weekends or vacations, dirty dishes are piling up and dirty laundry also overflows the hamper. Why? Because I am busier than during working days.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hard to believe, but it's autumn already :shock: and we have a large and growing Retirement Class :D

Our Fabulous 2020 Retirement Class now has 40 excited (and relieved :wink: ) graduates!

So far, our oldest classmate is 70 and our youngest is 45. One classmate has been a Boglehead since Feb. 2007, and three classmates have been Bogleheads since March 2007 :D (Bogleheads.org began on Feb 19, 2007)

Our Excited and Relieved Graduates - Congratulations!
01 Jan - Mezpi1 (66)
01 Jan - PartIrish
01 Jan - Clumsum (66) <<== Boglehead since 10/1/2007
02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
03 Jan - ls23h (59.5)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5) <<== Boglehead since 3/4/2007
16 Jan - hammockman (59)

01 Feb - maribullah

06 Mar - Hubris
15 Mar - rsgdmd (62)
30 Mar - smitcat

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
01 Apr - Jtrob2 (59)
10 Apr - Speckles
15 Apr - Steve K (59)

01 May - bookworm (59)
07 May - umk (52)
16 May - Wings2525 (55)
29 May - George Theo
29 May - benladel (63)

05 Jun - GiannaLuna (59)
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
30 Jun - teacher5 (55)
30 Jun - BruinBones
30 Jun - badbreath
30 Jun - sgr000 (65) <<== Boglehead since 2/28/2007

04 Jul - El Greco (65)
31 Jul - BG43017 (64)

07 Aug - Talisker (63.5)
24 Aug - AstroJohn (70)
31 Aug - gwe67 (53)

01 Sep - DurangoWino (64)

Graduating as soon as they can!
30 Sep - printer86 (56)

01 Oct - cjclueless (55)
02 Oct - onthecusp (62)
31 Oct - Faith20879 (60) <<== Boglehead since 3/2/2007
31 Oct - GlennK

__ Nov - William Million

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)
31 Dec - gamboolman
31 Dec - Dug (60)
__ ___ - NoMo50
__ ___ - ClaycordJCA (61)

The "This-May-Be-The-Year" Retirement Class :D
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 ==>> 2020 . . . )

Let us know if you'd like to be added to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call :sharebeer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sgr000

Post by sgr000 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:22 pm 30 Jun - sgr000 <<== Boglehead since 2/28/2007
BTW, I see I neglected to mention my age at retirement, like the others. I was 65 on the day I retired.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sgr000 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: 30 Jun - sgr000 <<== Boglehead since 2/28/2007
BTW, I see I neglected to mention my age at retirement, like the others. I was 65 on the day I retired.
Thanks, we made the update. And as of now, you are The Most Senior Boglehead in the class, having joined this illustrious forum a mere 9 days after it formed as bogleheads.org on Feb. 19, 2007 - I mean, your portfolio must be One Awesome Beast !! :D