Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
VictoriaF

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:09 pm I don't have a date, but I am officially joining this class. Thanks to an unfortunate situation (see this post, I am now in a position to FIRE.
Congratulations, LadyGeek!

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: I don't have a date, but I am officially joining this class. Thanks to an unfortunate situation (see this post), I am now in a position to FIRE.
LadyGeek, welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class - but we're sorry to learn of the connection to the recent passing of your husband. Although your retirement may be bittersweet, we hope it becomes meaningful and enjoyable :happy

LadyGeek wrote:All I'll say is that the coronavirus hit very close at work today. Nothing confirmed, but there's enough reality that several of my coworkers are taking a few days or more off - that includes me. The rest of the office is in a "wait and see" attitude.
Good you're off. Can't lose our LadyGeek to those nasty microbes. Although quite frankly, those viruses have met their match with LadyGeek. Indeed, if I were a virus, I would never ever even think of messing with LadyGeek :mrgreen:

LadyGeek wrote:I would have retired sooner, but I like what I do and don't have anything to retire "to".
WHAAT?!? You don't have anything "to retire to?" :shock: :shock: :shock: What about us? Our unruly forum?

LadyGeek wrote:Consider this a warm-up for the real thing. It will allow me time to think and plan this out in detail.
Yes, and please post all the details of your plans, how you planned, the why's, the where's, the discarded plans - we are interested in every little detail :D because we learn so much from you.

LadyGeek wrote:I'm sure I can find something to do.
WHAAT?!?
This is without question the biggest understatement of the year and you get the award as the Biggest UnderStater of the Class 8-) No one does more stuff in a given period of time than our LadyGeek. She makes me feel downright lazy.

Not only does LadyGeek have a full time job in the real world and a full time job as Chief Forum Moderator, she gardens and grows sunflowers, she bakes her own bread, she reads books, watches TV and knows every movie. She writes and edits the Bogleheads wiki. She writes for the Boglehead Blog. She participates in the Philadelphia Bogleheads local chapter. She drinks heartily and advises us on Favorite Boglehead Beer. She even won first place last year in the Very Highly Esteemed Bogleheads Hedge Fund Contest with Canadian stocks :wink:

She answers every Q from lost Bogleheads who can't log in, who accidentally delete their posts, who can't post images and graphs, etc, - truly, no one but LadyGeek has more patience with forum member "looking," who loses everything over and over again. She makes newbies feel at home on our forum and deletes all our cuss words to keep the forum family friendly :D

LadyGeek watches the forum like an eagle. She kicks off the trouble-makers and the internet trolls, locks the "rare" political post and general rant. She can smell a sock puppet a mile away. She deftly referees the forum fistfights: factor funders v. anti-factor funders; dividend lovers v. dividend denouncers; tilters v. anti-tilters; yes-international v. no-international, etc. She volunteers at the Bogleheads Conference, educates the attendees on the wiki and navigating the forum and is everywhere talking with everyone.

Taylor Larimore has called LadyGeek the forum's "most valuable asset." :happy

So yes, dear LadyGeek, don't worry, you'll find plenty to do in your retirement - after all, the Bear Market is just beginning and the forum really needs you :sharebeer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I learned a long time ago to never argue with the prof. :) Thanks for putting everything in perspective. You're absolutely right, I just needed to take some time to think about this.
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 pm ...She even won first place last year in the Very Highly Esteemed Bogleheads Hedge Fund Contest with Canadian stocks...
A clarification - I won the 2016 Bogleheads Hedge Fund Contest on our sister Canadian forum: 2016 hedge fund contest - Financial Wisdom Forum with a single long pick. I came in second place in 2017 with a single short pick: 2017 Hedge Fund Contest

Disclaimer: I'm a member of both forums, which includes wiki editor and wiki administrator.

The wikis have some background info: Bogleheads® contests, and FWF contests - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

teacher5 wrote: June 30, 2020.

I will be 55. I am going to "retire" from a 25 year career teaching high school. Also had 7 years in industry before teaching. This is an early retirement, environment got too toxic. I am going to work part time at a local college. I don't consider the college "work."
LOL - I never considered college "work" either (don't tell my parents :mrgreen:

Sounds like a good retirement punch-out and a good new beginning - welcome to the class! We wish you all the best, stay physically and mentally busy, enjoy your college years, and please let us know how your retirement goes :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

smitcat wrote: Well I believe now that we will 'retire' now about March 30, 2020.
But you never know for sure....
Keep us posted smitcat, we'll pencil you in for March 30 - which btw is right around the corner - and if things change, we'll re-boot you!

What's the "never know for sure?" Still counting your retirement pennies? Waiting for pension vesting? Or just not really sure you want to cross over the bridge from working to retiring? Many of us found this a more difficult decision to make than we expected it should be :?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"Good Morning, my Friends, . . .
A lot will happen in the coming twelve months. It's a perilous world out there, so get your asset allocation right - for you - and then just Stay the Course.
Best. Always. JACK"

-- Jack Bogle, Letter to the Bogleheads, 10/19/2011, www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84344

8-) Here is the latest Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

We now have 9 class-mates who have already graduated!

Already Graduated! Best wishes for a wonderful retirement :happy
01 Jan - Mezpi1 (66)
01 Jan - PartIrish
01 Jan - Clumsum (66)
02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
03 Jan - ls23h (59.5)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)
31 Jan - NearlyRetired (58)

06 Mar - Hubris

Graduating Soon! - taking stock of their stock for punch-out time :moneybag
30 Mar - smitcat

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
03 Apr - onthecusp (62)

01 May - bookworm (59)
01 May - windscorpion (45)
16 May - Wings2525 (55)
__ May - Engaging in sloth (59)
__ May/June - spartanap (59)

01 Jun - blahblahsunshine (49)
05 Jun - GiannaLuna (59)
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
30 Jun - teacher5 (55)
__ Jun - IowaFarmBoy (61)

04 Jul - El Greco (65)

15 Sep - ClaycordJCA (61)
__ Sep - Aunt Peanut (55)

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Ready3Retire (60)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)
31 Dec - gamboolman
__ ___ - LadyGeek

The Infinity Retirement Class :D
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please add yourself to this Very Special Roll Call - and let me know if I made any goofs :mrgreen:
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 pm
smitcat wrote: Well I believe now that we will 'retire' now about March 30, 2020.
But you never know for sure....
Keep us posted smitcat, we'll pencil you in for March 30 - which btw is right around the corner - and if things change, we'll re-boot you!

What's the "never know for sure?" Still counting your retirement pennies? Waiting for pension vesting? Or just not really sure you want to cross over the bridge from working to retiring? Many of us found this a more difficult decision to make than we expected it should be :?
Thank you Miriam2,
We are really likely to be mostly done by March 30 so far on schedule.
What's the "never know for sure?"
We are still helping out some folks, I do not want to offend the internet retirement police and say we are completely done and get caught working helping some one.
"Still counting your retirement pennies?"
No , that phase is over
"Waiting for pension vesting?"
No , there will be no pensions.
"Or just not really sure you want to cross over the bridge from working to retiring?"
Nope , not this one either. We have been working less these past years and have enjoyed many (but not all) aspects of full retirement for a while now.

Thank again for your hospitality , stay safe out there please.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

All the stuff around Covid-19 has me thinking the soup might get cold in 2020.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

OK - We are out.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

smitcat wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 am OK - We are out.
Congratulations!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

onthecusp wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:28 pm
smitcat wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 am OK - We are out.
Congratulations!
Thank you
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

smitcat wrote: OK - We are out.
Good! Nice to be on schedule and part of this fabulous retirement class :happy
We wish you a long and enjoyable retirement, stay safe, healthy, wealthy and wise 8-) and let us know what you're doing in retirement.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My glidepath to retirement has started: Subject: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:11 pm My employer is open for business, but it's a small building with no windows. Everyone is spaced 6' apart and diligently cleans their cubicle, but that's not adequate protection when you consider that you pass your coworkers in narrow hallways with little ventilation. One of my coworkers has a relative in the hospital on a ventilator. Another coworker just tested positive at one of our facilities in the Washington DC area.

That's more than enough for me, as the virus is now very up close and personal in the Philadelphia area. I don't feel comfortable working there and have just started one month of unpaid leave to stay at home until this resolves. I can't work remotely and have no vacation time remaining.

Not mentioned to anyone at work, but this is the start of my glidepath to retirement. (See: Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!)

I have every intention of returning to work - then retire at some later time in the year. If the virus takes as long as expected, I'll be out a lot longer than 30 days. I'll let the company decide how long they want to keep me around before they decide to terminate me. I'm fully prepared to FIRE now and have no concerns.

As for medical benefits, I pay my share of the premium for the first 30 days. After that, COBRA kicks in.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

So I'm afraid that COVID-19 has put my plan to leave the corporate life this week on hold. The reason is a combination of uncertainty over health insurance in a time of potential great need and similar uncertainty about part time opportunities that are an important part of the plan. The market fall off does not help but is a secondary issue at the moment. I still hope to make it happen this year but we will see. Continuing in my current position will let me contribute more to retirement savings at low equity prices so there is that.

Working from home was part of the attraction of a gradual transition, so I have that for now, just not the part time and extra flexibility. Let alone the ability to actually go anywhere!

One thing is a little more clear to me; the difference between a complete retirement plan and one dependent on continued employment income for some period of time. If say I had pulled the trigger at the start of the year, I would probably be OK, but much more nervous about current employment income. We would be OK without that income, spending flexibility would see us through, but it would not be the ideal outcome. Good luck to all and stay safe! :D
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Although I sold my business in 2014, I continued to do some minor amount of consulting work (allowable in my sales agreement) up through late 2019. An early-year vacation and now COVID-19 obviates further work for now.

So, at age 67, and on 6/30/20, I'm going to fail to renew a license necessary for me to continue to work, and therefore I will be fully-retired after 39+ years. Wife is slated to retire sometime this year, and we were to travel the world. Boy, has that vision changed in the last two months.

Best of health to all who are following this thread, whether you are planning to retire or not.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: My glidepath to retirement has started: Subject: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis? . . .

I have every intention of returning to work - then retire at some later time in the year. If the virus takes as long as expected, I'll be out a lot longer than 30 days. I'll let the company decide how long they want to keep me around before they decide to terminate me. I'm fully prepared to FIRE now and have no concerns.
Thank you for your update LadyGeek, sounds like a good decision on your part - although as I said before, if I were a virus, I would never ever even think of messing with LadyGeek :shock:

Please keep us up-to-date with your plans and how you intend to glide into retirement 8-)
Speckles

Post by Speckles »

Covid and my employer decided that I am retiring on April 10 after 40 years at several different companies.

Lots of change in the world, which means opportunities. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a silver lining :shock:

Besides, I’m in the same class as LadyGeek. How prestigious is that!

Specs
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm in the same class as Specs! :) Seriously - If you need help planning your finances, start a thread in the Personal Finance forum and we'll get you going.

A few things come to mind: If needed - you're covered under COBRA for the next 30 - 60 days (don't remember the rules off the top of my head), 401(k) should be rolled over to a traditional IRA, HSA account can be rolled over to Fidelity, where you should be pulling your expenses from, how to manage your portfolio, etc.

First, take the weekend off to let everything settle.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

onthecusp wrote: So I'm afraid that COVID-19 has put my plan to leave the corporate life this week on hold. The reason is a combination of uncertainty over health insurance in a time of potential great need and similar uncertainty about part time opportunities that are an important part of the plan. The market fall off does not help but is a secondary issue at the moment. I still hope to make it happen this year but we will see. Continuing in my current position will let me contribute more to retirement savings at low equity prices so there is that.
Thank you, Onthecusp, for your update and how you rearranged your retirement plans. No fun to have to rearrange long-looked-forward-to plans, but of course it seems you did the only reasonable thing. Why take the personal financial risk if you don't have to. And contributing more to your retirement savings is a nice perk :happy
onthecusp wrote:Working from home was part of the attraction of a gradual transition, so I have that for now, just not the part time and extra flexibility. Let alone the ability to actually go anywhere!
LOL! Well you could go into all the closets or the garage and do a Mad Cleaning 8-) We packed my Chevy Suburban full with charity items and took them to the Goodwill trailer (which was open as a necessary business) - everyone else had the same idea and the trailer was almost packed full.
onthecusp wrote:One thing is a little more clear to me; the difference between a complete retirement plan and one dependent on continued employment income for some period of time. If say I had pulled the trigger at the start of the year, I would probably be OK, but much more nervous about current employment income. We would be OK without that income, spending flexibility would see us through, but it would not be the ideal outcome. Good luck to all and stay safe! :D
Interesting observation and appreciate you sharing it with us - "the difference between a complete retirement plan and one dependent on continued employment income for some period of time." Problem if that "period of time" goes upside down.

Keep us posted on your plans as the year moves on. We can always re-boot you :happy
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

onthecusp wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:43 pm ...COVID-19 has put my plan to leave the corporate life ... on hold. ...
Same here.

Original plan was to clock out on June 5th, 2020 - the same date I clocked in 30 some years ago.

Had big plans to travel, to see the world. Now everything is in lockdown for "infinite" . What am I to do with my time staying home all day? May as well keep on working.

Thank you, Miriam2, for being such a nice hostess.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I am assuming Covid-19 will accelerate my plans to retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. Either I will be thrown out or burnt out by the time this thing runs it's course.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
hammockman

Post by hammockman »

FIRED Jan 16, 2020...promptly left HR and left for Islamorada Fl for a few days, turned 60 there so dual celebration. Then promptly had 3 planned trips cancelled due to COVID 19, Not the retirement start I had envisioned although still beats the office:)
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

I’ve been reluctant to post my date of 6/30/20 out of the irrational fear of jinxing it. However June 30 is pretty solid now. 8-)

Originally I targeted 12/31/2019:
BruinBones wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm
Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 »

OK. I am back to my original plan. I am meeting with the pension counselor 5/18 and retiring 6/30. The events of the last few months convinced me.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm I am assuming Covid-19 will accelerate my plans to retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. Either I will be thrown out or burnt out by the time this thing runs it's course.
FWIW - I really believe it is much better if you decide the plans for retiring and not have it be a result of something else.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm All the stuff around Covid-19 has me thinking the soup might get cold in 2020.
TheTimeLord wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm I am assuming Covid-19 will accelerate my plans to retire either voluntarily or involuntarily. Either I will be thrown out or burnt out by the time this thing runs it's course.
I thought you enjoyed your new work :confused Let us know how you're planning your retirement now with all that's going on.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Brief update here...
Wow, am I glad that I left work before the full chaos of COVID-19! Former employer was in no way prepared (financially or organizational health-wise). We got moved out of state and into the forever house and are going to list the previous house for sale late next week. Fingers crossed for a quick sale as our prior city and neighborhood are in high demand with limited supply. Many potential sellers pulled their listings so hoping that puts a floor under prices.

Also very glad that we had adjusted AA to pretty conservative, pre-retirement. Have been way busier than anticipated with project management of closing on new house, relocation and setup of new house, prep for sale of previous house, lots of tax loss harvesting while trying to support DW through her work in leadership during these stressful times. Oh yes, and I officiated a wedding virtually. A back injury during all of this didn’t help either but feel like things are starting to even out, and loving the new house and the new environs with a lot of nature, walking, etc even in self-quarantine as new arrivals.

That’s the take from 6 weeks post-retirement, and looking SORR squarely in the eye.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hubris wrote: Brief update here...
Wow, am I glad that I left work before the full chaos of COVID-19! Former employer was in no way prepared (financially or organizational health-wise). We got moved out of state and into the forever house and are going to list the previous house for sale late next week. Fingers crossed for a quick sale as our prior city and neighborhood are in high demand with limited supply. Many potential sellers pulled their listings so hoping that puts a floor under prices.

Also very glad that we had adjusted AA to pretty conservative, pre-retirement. Have been way busier than anticipated with project management of closing on new house, relocation and setup of new house, prep for sale of previous house, lots of tax loss harvesting while trying to support DW through her work in leadership during these stressful times. Oh yes, and I officiated a wedding virtually. A back injury during all of this didn’t help either but feel like things are starting to even out, and loving the new house and the new environs with a lot of nature, walking, etc even in self-quarantine as new arrivals.
Hi Hubris!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your Adventures in Recently Retired Land! Who knew what an adventure you'd have - and all you did was retire :mrgreen: . Looks like you were able to stay together amidst the chaos, I'm really impressed with your energy and drive. Please let us know how the house sale goes. For many, it's such a big part of retirement.

And moreover - you officiated a wedding - virtually! Congratulations! A wedding to remember :D

Hubris wrote:That’s the take from 6 weeks post-retirement, and looking SORR squarely in the eye.
The Retirement Roll Call tries to be as helpful as possible when classmates have retirement snags, so here is this very useful graph to help you determine how to arrange everything to avoid the Dreaded Sequence of Returns Risk :D

"The following example shows a 4% withdrawal rate with an equity allocation of 50% and the remaining 50% bonds . . . sequence of returns risk."

https://actuaryonfire.com/reprise-seque ... urns-risk/ [image link formatted to include axis labels and title --admin LadyGeek ]

I really do swear by these helpful graphs - we use them all the time to prepare for hurricanes and they really, really do work :beer

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/2c/24 ... 948329.png

Edit - Thank you LadyGeek for the image link formatting to include axis labels and title :mrgreen:
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Thank you, Miriam2!!

One of those graphs gave me confidence!
TGMJ

Post by TGMJ »

TGMJ wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 am My freedom date is April 1,2020.
I was asked to stay on a year to help with transition from acquisition of my firm.
Will be 61 and am hanging in there..😎
Well, I made it.. sure did not expect Covid world and the related impact on our lives at Freedom Time..
In any event, will make the best of it like everyone else!
Best Wishes for good health and happiness to all!!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:33 pm
smitcat wrote: OK - We are out.
Good! Nice to be on schedule and part of this fabulous retirement class :happy
We wish you a long and enjoyable retirement, stay safe, healthy, wealthy and wise 8-) and let us know what you're doing in retirement.
Miriam2 - reading your posts below by any chance are you in Florida? If so we will be heading your way in the future once all of this virus stuff is a bit cleaned up.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cruise wrote: Although I sold my business in 2014, I continued to do some minor amount of consulting work (allowable in my sales agreement) up through late 2019. An early-year vacation and now COVID-19 obviates further work for now.

So, at age 67, and on 6/30/20, I'm going to fail to renew a license necessary for me to continue to work, and therefore I will be fully-retired after 39+ years. Wife is slated to retire sometime this year, and we were to travel the world. Boy, has that vision changed in the last two months.

Best of health to all who are following this thread, whether you are planning to retire or not.
Hi Cruise and welcome to this Retirement Class of 2020! To be "fully-retired after 39+ years" is truly a wonderful feeling :happy

We wish you a long, happy and healthy retirement, full of new adventures.

Sorry to learn that your retirement vision of traveling the world has been up-ended - well, at least for now - but you can still dream of fair winds and following seas and the promise of a coming day on the downhill run to Pape'ete. 8-)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:05 pm
Cruise wrote: Although I sold my business in 2014, I continued to do some minor amount of consulting work (allowable in my sales agreement) up through late 2019. An early-year vacation and now COVID-19 obviates further work for now.

Hi Cruise and welcome to this Retirement Class of 2020! To be "fully-retired after 39+ years" is truly a wonderful feeling :happy

Sorry to learn that your retirement vision of traveling the world has been up-ended - well, at least for now - but you can still dream of fair winds and following seas and the promise of a coming day on the downhill run to Pape'ete. 8-)
Thanks for the good wishes and the vision of carefree cruising!

All the best,
Cruise
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cruise wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:28 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks for the good wishes and the vision of carefree cruising!

All the best,
Cruise
btw - yes that really is Stephen Stills (from Crosby, Stills & Nash) skippering that glorious yacht - and singing that glorious song 8-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 pm My glidepath to retirement has started: Subject: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?
Entering traffic pattern, on downwind....
....turn to base
......turn to final
.........localizer and glideslope locked and aligned
..............runway in sight
...................ETA to landing: 5/6/20
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm All the stuff around Covid-19 has me thinking the soup might get cold in 2020.
I thought you enjoyed your new work :confused Let us know how you're planning your retirement now with all that's going on.
"Soup's cold". Yes, I am retired or at least that is the plan for now. Not sure if my friends believe me, but that's the plan.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Speckles wrote: Covid and my employer decided that I am retiring on April 10 after 40 years at several different companies.
Congratulations Speckles and welcome to this fantabulous Retirement Class! After 40 years of working you can now enjoy creating your own days. What do you have planned?
Speckles wrote:Lots of change in the world, which means opportunities. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a silver lining :shock:
Very nice way to see this :happy There will be silver linings, if we see them. And you already have one opportunity: retirement!! :D
Speckles wrote:Besides, I’m in the same class as LadyGeek. How prestigious is that!
Very prestigious! Now if we all had her energy we would also be productive as well :wink:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For those currently on COBRA, please see my post about payment coverage gaps: Re: Insurance under COBRA - Will returning to work disqualify me?
bayview

Post by bayview »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 am
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 pm My glidepath to retirement has started: Subject: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?
....turn to base
......turn to final
:D 8-) :beer :D 8-) :beer :D 8-) :beer :D

Doing the happy dance for you!

(Props for the landing pattern. It all comes back! I still have a private pilot’s license somewhere, which I abandoned after deciding that claustrophobia and ADHD weren’t a good fit for flying.)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Faith20879 wrote: Original plan was to clock out on June 5th, 2020 - the same date I clocked in 30 some years ago.

Had big plans to travel, to see the world. Now everything is in lockdown for "infinite" . What am I to do with my time staying home all day? May as well keep on working.
Hi Faith20879! Welcome to the On-Hold Retirement Class of 2020 :D We'll include you along with others who are in a holding pattern - and when the skies clear and you have your R-date, we'll re-boot you!

Not only that, as of this minute, you take the Roll Call's Most Coveted Award as The Most Senior Boglehead of the Class, since you joined our fabulous forum on March 2, 2007, only 11 days after bogleheads.org was formed on February 19, 2007 :D How cool is that!? You must have one truly fabulous portfolio :beer

Sorry all your big plans are locked down indefinitely, but as another Boglehead remarked, the silver lining is you can still work :moneybag and we might add, you are healthy and can still look forward to your retirement plans. If you stay at home all day, you'll simply end up vacuuming the carpets and washing the windows :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

hammockman wrote: FIRED Jan 16, 2020...promptly left HR and left for Islamorada Fl for a few days, turned 60 there so dual celebration. Then promptly had 3 planned trips cancelled due to COVID 19, Not the retirement start I had envisioned although still beats the office:)
Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2020, Hammockman, and congratulations on making it to your dual celebration in Islamorada! Still hanging out in your hammock?

We wish you a long and healthy retirement and please let us know what you're planning to do 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BruinBones wrote: I’ve been reluctant to post my date of 6/30/20 out of the irrational fear of jinxing it. However June 30 is pretty solid now. 8-)

Originally I targeted 12/31/2019:
BruinBones wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm
Ok Bones, we included you in this Awesome Retirement Roll Call!!

I understand fully all irrational fears - and I really mean ALL irrational fears (having lived with a committed irrational fear-worrier for what seems like forever :mrgreen: ) - but posting your R-date on this Retirement Roll Call can't jinx anything. We just re-boot!

But you're good to go and you're on the list - and after you retire and it's in the bag, please let us know what your retirement plans are :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windscorpion

Post by windscorpion »

Made it to the other side as planned last 5/1. First order of business was to take care of a forgotten backyard :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

windscorpion wrote: Made it to the other side as planned last 5/1. First order of business was to take care of a forgotten backyard :)
Welcome to the sunny side of the street, Windscorpion! You're going to have a great time in retirement :D

Sheesh :mrgreen: Only retired for one day and you already cleaned up your forgotten backyard?! You really move! Hope you can keep up the good work so the backyard is lovingly remembered - lol! You know, the perpetual cycle of planting and mulching and pruning and cutting and fertilizing and spraying and sweeping and cleaning up mold and . . . let us know how your retirement goes 8-)
Jtrob2

Post by Jtrob2 »

Just retired a month ago, 4/1 to be exact, Turning 59 soon. Worked most of my career for large publicly traded companies, was 21 years with the last one. Work was mostly enjoyable, but I’m WAY ready to move on to the next chapter😁
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here!
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 am
....turn to base
......turn to final
flaps down....
...wheels down and locked
.....throttle back, flare
.......3, 2, 1, FIRE!

Hello, World! LadyGeek has landed in retirement! :beer
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:14 pm
Hello, World! LadyGeek has landed in retirement! :beer
Congrats!
I may join this class yet, but I'm trying to hold out for 2021. Getting my knee replaced in 2 weeks, now that the ban has been lifted. 4 to 6 weeks to recover, and who knows after that.
Last edited by goblue100 on Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Wow! It’s just like landing an aircraft! Even the Barefoot Bandit could do it! Congrats 2020 folks! ETA 7/2021.

Oh I’m crashing... the party. :P
George Theo

Post by George Theo »

Retirement date May 29th 2020.
32 years 10months United States Postal Service.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Outafter20 wrote: OK. I am back to my original plan. I am meeting with the pension counselor 5/18 and retiring 6/30. The events of the last few months convinced me.
Ok perfect, you're back on for June 30 - and for sure it seems to be a very wise decision. I mean, after 27 years in your profession and ready to retire, you certainly earned your retirement at this time :happy

Please let us know what you plan to do with your free time!