Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by Miriam2 »

It's time already! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2020? Congratulations! To add your name to this Roll Call, just post on the thread with your R-date and age (if you choose) and you'll be part of the Awesome Class of 2020 - and yes, tentative and estimated dates are okay 8-)
Outafter20

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020!

Post by Outafter20 »

June 30, 2020 (will be 47) 27 year career in law enforcement
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jamacq wrote: Unfortunately, I have to report that my date [in 2019] has moved out by 6 months which will put me into the class of 2020.

I was given a new position and agreed to stay in it for a few more months to help solve some problems. Please change me from July 4, 2019 to Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I are retiring on the same date and already have some travel plans. Since you are collecting age stats, I will be 61.5 on my retirement date.
Jamacq - welcome to your new Class of 2020!

Solve all your employer's problems - we know you're a detail-guy (lol - age in decimals :happy ) - then punch out and join your wife on your new travel adventures!
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Wife (will be 63) will retire in December 2020, and I plan to stay 18 months longer to erase some bad months for higher 36 month average. Due to over 37 years of service, a 15% increase can be substantial.
Last edited by infotrader on Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

Well, I've been jealously watching these Roll Call threads the last several years and now I can finally post! I'm planning to retire Dec 31, 2020 from MegaCorp after 32 1/2 years there. I'll be just over 60 years old. My wife plans to stop working at the same time as I do. Our plan is to then move out west where I hope to be a ski bum for a season. After that, if we like it, we'll stay. If not, we'll head back to the Mid West.
bada bing

Post by bada bing »

Dec 1, 2020 will be my last day at work. Accrued vacation will carry me on the books as an
employee until first week of Jan. 2021, but I'll be on a cruise ship somewhere around South
America on the day I officially "retire". Be splitting the years between Alaska (summers) and
Arizona (winters) with a few trips per year to keep it interesting.

I will be 61, 27 years in oil production with "majors", 12 of it ex-pat.
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

Finally! 2020 Roll Call! Late May/Early June, 2020 after 37 years in public education. One month shy of 60. DW (already retired) and I plan to do what we want to do, when we want to do it. Looking forward to traveling in the spring and fall instead of just during summer vacation. Prague/Budapest, New Zealand to start. Thanks to Bogleheads for the education, inspiration and affirmation.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Outafter20 wrote: June 30, 2020 (will be 47) 27 year career in law enforcement
Congratulations Outafter20 !! A little over a year to go :D

Thank you for your service. It's meaningful work, stay safe, enjoy your good work, plan your retirement, share your plans - and we'll call you if we need help keeping these wild Bogleheads in line - they do get delirious with upcoming retirement excitement :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Ready3Retire wrote: Well, I've been jealously watching these Roll Call threads the last several years and now I can finally post! I'm planning to retire Dec 31, 2020 from MegaCorp after 32 1/2 years there. I'll be just over 60 years old.
Congratulations Ready3Retire on being able to finally post! It's an exciting time to finally hear those beautiful words - "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call" :D
Ready3Retire wrote:My wife plans to stop working at the same time as I do. Our plan is to then move out west where I hope to be a ski bum for a season. After that, if we like it, we'll stay. If not, we'll head back to the Mid West.
A ski bum!! Now that's a cool retirement 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bada bing wrote: Dec 1, 2020 will be my last day at work. Accrued vacation will carry me on the books as an employee until first week of Jan. 2021, but I'll be on a cruise ship somewhere around South America on the day I officially "retire". Be splitting the years between Alaska (summers) and Arizona (winters) with a few trips per year to keep it interesting.

I will be 61, 27 years in oil production with "majors", 12 of it ex-pat.
Ok bada bing, we added you to the list 8-)

You're looking at a good retirement after 27 years in oil production and you already have great plans for your first retirement trip and living arrangement. Bogleheads have interesting jobs and skills and they make fascinating plans for their retirements - we appreciate you sharing them with us :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

spartanap wrote: Finally! 2020 Roll Call! Late May/Early June, 2020 after 37 years in public education. One month shy of 60. DW (already retired) and I plan to do what we want to do, when we want to do it. Looking forward to traveling in the spring and fall instead of just during summer vacation. Prague/Budapest, New Zealand to start. Thanks to Bogleheads for the education, inspiration and affirmation.
Yes! Finally! The 2020 Roll Call and it won't be long before you can close your classroom door for the last time and head out with your wife into your new retirement life. It's great reading how others are planning for their retirement - and traveling is high on everyone's list. Looks like you have some nice travel destinations.

Congratulations and we'll add you to the Roll Call :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is our first update for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2020 8-)

16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)

__ May/June - spartanap (59)

30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Ready3Retire (60)

If you wish to be included on this Retirement Roll Call, please add your name, R-date and age.

age? - fellow forum members enjoy this statistic 8-) and David Jay referred to these statistics from the Retirement Roll Call in his recent presentation on retirement on the Bogleheads Virtual On-Line Chapter meeting - "Can I Retire? A simple evaluation with Stages of Retirement" - a great presentation to check out (thank you David Jay) 8-)

https://vimeo.com/333815126?cjevent=042 ... 820a24060d

To keep up with the Virtual On-Line Chapter for new presentations - www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=126449

And to view past presentations and resources, visit the blog at https://virtualbogleheads.wordpress.com/
TGMJ

Post by TGMJ »

My freedom date is April 1,2020.
I was asked to stay on a year to help with transition from acquisition of my firm.
Will be 61 and am hanging in there..😎
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 pm It's time already! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2020 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2020? Congratulations! To add your name to this Roll Call, just post on the thread with your R-date and age (if you choose) and you'll be part of the Awesome Class of 2020 - and yes, tentative and estimated dates are okay 8-)
Thank you for doing this.
I enjoy reading this list and seeing how people decide to retire and what are their situations (age, career, spouse, etc.)
I have been on this board for many years and learned all the investment tricks (actually only one, stay the course). Information relevant to real people and individual cases is particularly useful.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TGMJ wrote: My freedom date is April 1,2020.
I was asked to stay on a year to help with transition from acquisition of my firm.
Will be 61 and am hanging in there..😎
Welcome to the Bogleheads! and welcome to this most distinguished Retirement Roll Call 8-)

With a freedom date less than a year away, you'll make it! Just get that company transition moving, then pack up, warm good-byes and out the door (and tell them good riddance :D ) What's on the retirement agenda?
TGMJ

Post by TGMJ »

A few things on the agenda:
First and foremost, get as healthy and fit as I can.
Second, help needy cancer patients and their families (I am a survivor).
Third, finish my service to a volunteer organization in my profession.
I am sure there will be more..

Lots to look forward to! 😎
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TGMJ wrote: A few things on the agenda:
First and foremost, get as healthy and fit as I can.
Second, help needy cancer patients and their families (I am a survivor).
Third, finish my service to a volunteer organization in my profession.
I am sure there will be more..

Lots to look forward to! 😎
A great agenda!
"I am sure there will be more . . . " - ohhh yes - how about a little vacation trip :D
TGMJ

Post by TGMJ »

Great idea!
First, take the family to Florence and Tuscany.
Then the next year, hopefully New Zealand and Australia.
After that, who knows...😊
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

Last day at work will be sometime in June. I will use up vacation till I start pension on Sept 1. I will turn 62 that August.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

IowaFarmBoy wrote: Last day at work will be sometime in June. I will use up vacation till I start pension on Sept 1. I will turn 62 that August.
You're on this fabulous Retirement Roll Call and this next year will fly by - before you know it, you'll be out trick-or-treating and eating turkey and sweet potato pudding (see my recipe in the cooking thread :wink: ), then you'll be whooping it up on New Years Eve, then spring flowers and warmer breezes and Wow! can it be? next summer already and time to say good bye to coworkers and boss and punch out!

Congratulations - and don't forget to update us with your R-date :D
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

After watching these threads for a couple of years I've made a decision. April 3, 2020 is the plan. Tired of the megacorp culture all the time. I had hoped to make the jump this year, after one more year I'm certain we can make it work now. A little more in savings, a little more understanding of what our expenses will be.

I hope the definition police don't object to a part time plan that involves consulting, but I'm sure looking at it as a retirement and if no actual work turns up we can make it just fine. Thanks Bogleheads! :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

onthecusp wrote: After watching these threads for a couple of years I've made a decision. April 3, 2020 is the plan. Tired of the megacorp culture all the time. I had hoped to make the jump this year, after one more year I'm certain we can make it work now. A little more in savings, a little more understanding of what our expenses will be.
Oohh - the tired of the megacorp culture all the time punch-out! We hear you loud and clear - and onto this Roll Call you go :D
onthecusp wrote:I hope the definition police don't object to a part time plan that involves consulting, but I'm sure looking at it as a retirement and if no actual work turns up we can make it just fine. Thanks Bogleheads! :sharebeer
Our Definition Police use the protocols of our founding mother, Lady Victoria 8-)

Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" is = there is no strict definition.

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the Roll Call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D :D
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

OK! I like that definition. :D
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

I will be leaving the corporate world on January 2nd. I got them to push my bonus that would have been paid in late 2019 into 2020 for tax reasons which is the reason I plan to stay until then.
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

I will be leaving the corporate world on January 2nd. I got them to push my bonus that would have been paid in late 2019 into 2020 for tax reasons which is the reason I plan to stay until then.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:13 am
Thank you for doing this.
I enjoy reading this list and seeing how people decide to retire and what are their situations (age, career, spouse, etc.)
I have been on this board for many years and learned all the investment tricks (actually only one, stay the course). Information relevant to real people and individual cases is particularly useful.
+1, and congrats to everyone on the list for 2020!
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

willyd123 wrote: I will be leaving the corporate world on January 2nd. I got them to push my bonus that would have been paid in late 2019 into 2020 for tax reasons which is the reason I plan to stay until then.
Hi Willyd123! and welcome to the Retirement Class of 2020 :D

Leaving the "corporate world" is a great springboard into this next great new time of your life - and with a bonus to boot :moneybag You're going to have a great New Year's Eve this year celebrating TWO new years - what a party that will be!

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We're in-between hurricanes - so it's the perfect time to publish the current list for the 2020 Retirement Roll Call!

For those lucky folks aiming to retire in 2020, sign up for our Illustrious Roll Call to be a member of this truly unique class - I mean, how many times in a kiloyear does one retire in a double digit year? (two 2's and two 0's side by side 8-)

02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
03 Apr - onthecusp (62)

15 Jun - DJN
30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
__ Jun - IowaFarmBoy (61)

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)

If you wish to be included on this Illustrious Retirement Roll Call, please add your name, R-date and age.

:beer
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

Blake7, 12/31/2020 @ age 55. Hired, FIRE’d, and soon to be retired. 8-) 39 years in the workforce, 12 employers. :beer
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Add (62) to onthecusp making me oldest so far.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Jan 2 2020 @65
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Blake7 wrote: Blake7, 12/31/2020 @ age 55. Hired, FIRE’d, and soon to be retired. 8-) 39 years in the workforce, 12 employers. :beer
I love it - Hired, FIRE'D and soon to be retired! After 39 years, you certainly deserve it. After 12 employers, you certainly deserve it - and you will truly enjoy, e-n-j-o-y being your own boss and working for yourself :D We wish you an enjoyable wind-down to retirement, and a full retirement filled with happy times.
DJN

Post by DJN »

Hi,
I will retire from my corporate job latest 15th June 2020 (i.e. clear the desk, hand in the pass and leave the building). Have to stay abroad somewhere nice until 5th July in order to avail of tax free status for 2020. (Non-US). Thinking of Japan then Portugal and then Italy for a month.
thanks for making this list.
DJN
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

onthecusp wrote: Add (62) to onthecusp making me oldest so far.
Thank you for the update - you were the oldest class member for about 6 minutes!
DJN

Post by DJN »

DJN wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:01 pm Hi,
I will retire from my corporate job latest 15th June 2020 (i.e. clear the desk, hand in the pass and leave the building). Have to stay abroad somewhere nice until 5th July in order to avail of tax free status for 2020. (Non-US). Thinking of Japan then Portugal and then Italy for a month.
DJN
I forgot to include age: 64 now and nearly 65 next June. Does that mean I get a prize or free gifts?
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TLB wrote: Jan 2 2020 @65
Hi TLB! Welcome to this fabulous retirement class :D

And thank you for your thoughtful posts about business and real estate. Please let us know what you have planned for this wonderful next phase of a wonderful life 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DJN wrote: I will retire from my corporate job latest 15th June 2020 (i.e. clear the desk, hand in the pass and leave the building). Have to stay abroad somewhere nice until 5th July in order to avail of tax free status for 2020. (Non-US). Thinking of Japan then Portugal and then Italy for a month.
Very nice DJN! We've included you on this most Illustrious Retirement Roll Call. After you clear your desk, hand in your pass, and leave the building, are you going out to celebrate?
DJN wrote: I forgot to include age: 64 now and nearly 65 next June. Does that mean I get a prize or free gifts?
Of course! I guess "nearly 65" means an R-date age of 64.9 8-)

And well, the Retirement Roll Call has not progressed yet to prizes or free gifts (we're still a work in progress with a steep learning curve :mrgreen: ) but we DO offer these official certificates - which actually may give you something productive to do in retirement :wink: and moreover, it's personally signed by the Dean of Elfery:

:D
DJN

Post by DJN »

Excellent! Thanks again.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:38 pm
TLB wrote: Jan 2 2020 @65
Hi TLB! Welcome to this fabulous retirement class :D

And thank you for your thoughtful posts about business and real estate. Please let us know what you have planned for this wonderful next phase of a wonderful life 8-)
Thanks Miriam2 for the warm welcome.

We will be busy, down sizing from a 6600 sq ft home with a 7 car garage to a 2100 sq ft 2 car garage. My wife likes stuff (I did not say junk) she doesn't want to get rid of anything. Once the house is empty I will over see some re-hab to get it ready to sell.

Main home will be in Az. I will be able to spend a lot more time overseeing the construction which we started this year.

We have a couple of trips planned for early in 2020, one to Singapore and Bali, then to Florida for Bike week.

It's going to be hard walking away from a company I love, but I know its time.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TLB wrote: We will be busy, down sizing from a 6600 sq ft home with a 7 car garage to a 2100 sq ft 2 car garage. My wife likes stuff (I did not say junk) she doesn't want to get rid of anything. Once the house is empty I will over see some re-hab to get it ready to sell.

Main home will be in Az. I will be able to spend a lot more time overseeing the construction which we started this year.

We have a couple of trips planned for early in 2020, one to Singapore and Bali, then to Florida for Bike week.

It's going to be hard walking away from a company I love, but I know its time.
Thank you for sharing your plans, TLB, and good luck with down sizing your huge home. Must be filled with many years of warm memories :happy

It's nice to retire from a good job we love, good memories of our working years. But life moves on. We can be thankful we had those good years and now it's time for more good years in another space.
DJN

Post by DJN »

DJN wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:01 pm Hi,
DJN
Hi,
happy days, I have now negotiated an early release! I will hand in notice on 11th December 2019 and leave office on 18th December 2019 for good. Technically I will be on payroll for 3 months for various reasons. So I guess my new date is either 18th December 2019 or 11th March 2020?
Super happy about the change.
DJN
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DJN wrote: Hi, happy days, I have now negotiated an early release! I will hand in notice on 11th December 2019 and leave office on 18th December 2019 for good. Technically I will be on payroll for 3 months for various reasons. So I guess my new date is either 18th December 2019 or 11th March 2020?
Super happy about the change.
DJN
Our sincere congrats on negotiating an early release!

Are you on probation until March 11, 2020, or are there no conditions of your release? :wink: If you're on probation and you want to consider your punch-out release date in March, that's OK with us and we'll include you on the 2020 Roll Call (just don't violate probation LOL - or they'll send you back up the river) but if you have no conditions of release and you're as free as a bird this Dec 18, and you feel you Punched Out of the Rat Race - we're really OK with that 2019 R-date 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the latest roster for the up & coming Retirement Class of 2020.

Let me know if anyone was left out or if you want to add or correct an entry :happy

We now have 12 upcoming graduates!

02 Jan - willyd123
02 Jan - TLB (65)
16 Jan - jamacq (61.5)

11 Mar - DJN (64) <<== collecting :moneybag but not working :P

01 Apr - TGMJ (61)
03 Apr - onthecusp (62)

30 Jun - Outafter20 (47)
__ Jun - IowaFarmBoy (61)

01 Dec - bada bing (61)
31 Dec - Blake7 (55)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Need a Sweet Potato Casserole/Pudding Recipe? Here is the Traditional and here is the Crackle Top version.
GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna »

Please add my name to the roll? :)

I am planning to retire on March 31 or April 30....will pick one when it gets a little closer.

I'm 59 and I've been working, in some form or another, since I was 12 years old - neighborhood babysitter, lol.

I've had 8 employers since college...that's enough. It's been a rollercoaster of highs and lows and I wasn't sure this day would arrive - but it's here :). I AM THRILLED.

I am happy to join you all.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

2020 looking pretty likely, exact date TBD. Next round of vesting happens April 30, 2020 so will have a convo with CEO to give notice (not before then due to lack of trust, etc) and start discussing succession. Planning on 3 months notice given position as an exec and open to bribery to stay longer but doubt that will happen.

Will be 60 in 2020, and sure some consulting will come my way but will focus on readiness for relo to the mountains and and support of the household for DS who just started a new leadership position, which is planned for a 3-5 year run.

Miriam2, the consistent warmth and positivity you show and create are exceptional and notable given that this is an Internet forum. Thank you.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GiannaLuna wrote: Please add my name to the roll? :)

I am planning to retire on March 31 or April 30....will pick one when it gets a little closer.

I'm 59 and I've been working, in some form or another, since I was 12 years old - neighborhood babysitter, lol.

I've had 8 employers since college...that's enough. It's been a rollercoaster of highs and lows and I wasn't sure this day would arrive - but it's here :). I AM THRILLED.

I am happy to join you all.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call GiannaLuna! or as they say - Welcome to the Sunny Side of the Street :D

Very nice description of your journey to retirement, actually sounds so familiar for those of us who began working during high school, different jobs, different employers, different experiences, all life lessons and as you said, "a rollercoaster of highs and lows" - and now life's lesson is to learn to take and enjoy our well-deserved retirement.

"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you."
--- Walt Whitman

We are thrilled for you :D You can update us with your R-date as the year rolls around.
bookworm

Post by bookworm »

Planning to retire May 1, 2020 at age 59 with nearly 39 years at megacorp. On a good day, I enjoy my job, and am a bit sad to be leaving but have a pretty long list of things I want to do while my wife and I are still healthy...
All models are wrong ... some are useful.
Mezpi1

Post by Mezpi1 »

Retirement date 1/1/2020. 33 years 8 months with Mega Corp and overall 52 years in workforce, paying into social security since age 14. Started as a busboy a Denny’s. Age 66 right now. Late start at serious saving & investing, but have enough to walk away from workforce with no interest in punching the clock again. I am riding out remaining 2019 with vacation time, and already taken a couple of 7 day road trips around the country. Several coworkers still hanging on past age 66 and beyond, but so glad I got out with my health. Best wishes to all 8-).
“Riches prick us with a thousand troubles in getting them, as many cares in preserving them, and yet more anxiety in spending them, and with grief in losing them.” – St. Francis of Assisi
staustin

Post by staustin »

how i love this thread....!!! so inspiring. I'm likely in the class of 2021. meantime i'll live vicariously through this thread a little longer. Congratulations to you all. :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hubris wrote: 2020 looking pretty likely, exact date TBD. Next round of vesting happens April 30, 2020 so will have a convo with CEO to give notice (not before then due to lack of trust, etc) and start discussing succession. Planning on 3 months notice given position as an exec and open to bribery to stay longer but doubt that will happen.

Will be 60 in 2020, and sure some consulting will come my way but will focus on readiness for relo to the mountains and and support of the household for DS who just started a new leadership position, which is planned for a 3-5 year run.
Hi Hubris! welcome to this 2020 Retirement Class :happy Let us know when you have that convo with the boss and set your punch-out day.

Nice plans for easing out of the work force into the active retired force. We look forward to your updates 8-)
Hubris wrote:Miriam2, the consistent warmth and positivity you show and create are exceptional and notable given that this is an Internet forum. Thank you.
You're welcome! And thanks for the nice compliment. It's easy to be warm and positive about everyone's upcoming retirements, rather than discussing factor funds and momentum strategies, international bonds, or tax efficient placement of mid cap value funds :mrgreen: