Master Thread - Central NJ Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Master Thread - Central NJ Bogleheads

Post by Tamarron12 »

Welcome to the local Central NJ Bogleheads chapter! This is the place to post and organize meetings in Central NJ.

Our February chapter meeting featuring renowned estate planning attorney Bruce Steiner. Ournext chapter meeting February 4th at 7pm EST. Feel free to have your members reach out to me and I can add them to the meeting invite.

Prior to our meeting next month, if you have any questions for our guest speaker, please fill out this survey by January 31: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NP3YY36

About Bruce Steiner: Bruce Steiner has over 40 years of experience in the areas of taxation, estate planning, business succession planning and estate and trust administration. He is a frequent lecturer at continuing education programs for bar associations, CPAs and other professionals. He is a co-author of CCH’s Roth IRA Answer Book. You can find his detailed bio here: https://www.kkwc.com/attorney/bruce-d-steiner/

Look forward to meeting soon!

[/b]Please RSVP at bhcentralnj@gmail.com if you intend to join us for our meetup. It will help to have an approximate count beforehand.

FOR NEW MEMBERS AND TO RSVP email: bhcentralnj@gmail.com. Our “Keeper of the List” will email you with meeting dates and details approximately three weeks before the next meeting. PM me if you have any questions

All Bogleheads are welcome. We hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Note: the Old Central NJ Yahoo Groups is in the process to be merged with this google contact list.
Last edited by Tamarron12 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Re: Master Thread - Central NJ Bogleheads

Post by Tamarron12 »

June 2019 meetup is announced. See the thread above for details!
rk6

Post by rk6 »

Is there an agenda for the meeting or is it just meet and greet for this first one?

Is there a fee?

Thanks
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

rk6 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:00 pm Is there an agenda for the meeting or is it just meet and greet for this first one?

Is there a fee?

Thanks
The first meeting would be meet and greet.

There's not a fee.
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

The first meet up for our Central NJ chapter was a great success!

We have 7 members participated in today's session, and our discussion lasted for 2 hours. It was a great kickoff meeting, and we talked about our path going forward as a Bogleheads chapter and our investment experience. Our plan is to meet every 2 months for now on a Saturday morning, and we will increase or decrease frequency based on timing and the group's involvement. The current location is Panera Bread at 510 Nassau Park Blvd in Princeton, NJ 08540. (To clarify, there's another Panera Bread in downtown Princeton. It's easy to confuse the two.) I'm gonna try to reserve the private room at this Panera location, and I will post here when I make the announcement for our next meeting.

Regarding our next meeting, it will be a Saturday morning in August, and the topic for the conversation is personal finance literacy and education. I will make the announcement at least three weeks prior to the meeting. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. It was great meeting everyone who showed up today. Hope we will get to see more Bogleheads in our August meeting. Thanks for everyone's time!
Topic Author
Tamarron12

August 2019 Meet Up

Post by Tamarron12 »

See the details for our August 2019 Meet Up below:
Time: August 10th 10:30am EST - an hour meeting followed by a social lunch
Topic: financial education and literacy
Location: Panera at 510 Nassau Park Blvd Princeton, NJ 08540; let's meet in the private room at this Panera, and I will make a reservation in late July
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

The August meet up for our Central NJ chapter had an amazing turnout!

We have 7 members participated in last weekend's session, and our discussion lasted for 3 hours. I was very glad to see some people came back from our first meeting, and super happy that new members started joining the conversation! I would like to point out that as a Bogleheads chapter, we welcome all faces and voices. Therefore, please invite any of your family members along. If you have any friends that might be interested, please pass on the information! Although this is a new chapter, it's generating significant momentum. Let's keep it going. I appreciate in advance for your help in making this chapter grow.

Our plan is to meet on a Saturday morning in late September. Details to come regarding the timing, agenda, and location. I will post announcement here for our next meeting. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. It was great meeting everyone who showed up last Saturday. Hope we will get to see more Bogleheads in our September meeting. Thanks for everyone's time!
rk6

Post by rk6 »

Hi - is there another central NJ meetup soon?

Thanks
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

See the details for our October 2019 Meet Up below:
Time: October 5th 10:30am EST - an hour meeting followed by a social lunch
Speaker: Alan
Details on the presentation: Alan will give us a short presentation on how to calculate tax-equivalent yields for NJ residents on Munis and Treasury money markets and bonds. It is a very common subject on the Forum and one of interest to NJ residents with our high income tax rates and available in-state Muni funds. He will also provide a spreadsheet to make the calculations easy.
Location: Meeting Room in Panera Bread on Nassau Park Boulevard in Princeton (not the one in downtown Princeton)
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Tamarron12 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm See the details for our October 2019 Meet Up below:
Details on the presentation: Alan will give us a short presentation on how to calculate tax-equivalent yields for NJ residents on Munis and Treasury money markets and bonds. It is a very common subject on the Forum and one of interest to NJ residents with our high income tax rates and available in-state Muni funds. He will also provide a spreadsheet to make the calculations easy.
Location: Meeting Room in Panera Bread on Nassau Park Boulevard in Princeton (not the one in downtown Princeton)
For those attending, here is a copy of the spreadsheet (Googlesheets) that I use to analyze NJ MM rates, I will discuss how to do the calculations and some thoughts on how to use them in your own investing/savings/emergency funds.

Vanguard NJ MM Yield Analysis
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

Thank you for those who attended our October meetup! Shout out to retiringwhen who delivered an amazing presentation around tax-equivalent yields for NJ residents on munis and treasury money markets and bonds.

Our next meet up will be on November 16th 10:30am at Panera on Nassau Park Pavillion in Princeton, NJ. The topic of the discussion will be cybersecurity for your personal finance. One of us will be the discussion facilitator - he will be sharing what he's learned recently at a Fidelity event. The rain date is November 16th 10:30am if we had issues booking the meeting room.
mcheeks1029

Post by mcheeks1029 »

Hi just found this group. Let us know when next meetup is! Thx
bap

Post by bap »

Hi there,
I would like to be included as well.
Thanks.
mcheeks1029

Post by mcheeks1029 »

Hi are you able to share this as a google doc and not a website link...that way we can save and edit? (or maybe im the only one having trouble)
thanks!

retiringwhen wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 pm
Tamarron12 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm See the details for our October 2019 Meet Up below:
For those attending, here is a copy of the spreadsheet (Googlesheets) that I use to analyze NJ MM rates, I will discuss how to do the calculations and some thoughts on how to use them in your own investing/savings/emergency funds.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

mcheeks1029 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:51 am Hi are you able to share this as a google doc and not a website link...that way we can save and edit? (or maybe im the only one having trouble)
thanks!
[/quote]

This is a google sheets document link. Make sure you are working on a computer that supports editing Google Sheets. For example, it is NOT supported on iPads.

Also have a web-page that includes this page via a different style of link. To edit the document, click on the open icon in the top right of chart and it will open it as well, then use File->Make a Copy to get your own editable version of the sheet. MM Yields Site
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

Hope everyone is safe and well. Apologies for not coming here for a while.

Regarding chapter meetings, I am resume meetings online for the time being. The current schedule would be 10:30 am EST on first Saturdays of the month. It will be google meeting, and video would be OPTIONAL.

See the details for our June 2020 Meet Up below:
Time: June 6th 10:30am EST - an hour meeting
Topic: 1. How's COVID-19 impacting you financially? 2. How to help parent retire?
Location: Google meeting invite - please email me at bhcentralnj@gmail.com to be added to the invite

Look forward to meeting soon!
bap

Post by bap »

Good morning everyone,
I have not received the link to the meeting which is supposed to occur today.
If someone could provide the link for me I would appreciate it.
Thank you.
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

Our February chapter meeting featuring renowned estate planning attorney Bruce Steiner. Ournext chapter meeting February 4th at 7pm EST. Feel free to have your members reach out to me and I can add them to the meeting invite.

Prior to our meeting next month, if you have any questions for our guest speaker, please fill out this survey by January 31: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NP3YY36

About Bruce Steiner: Bruce Steiner has over 40 years of experience in the areas of taxation, estate planning, business succession planning and estate and trust administration. He is a frequent lecturer at continuing education programs for bar associations, CPAs and other professionals. He is a co-author of CCH’s Roth IRA Answer Book. You can find his detailed bio here: https://www.kkwc.com/attorney/bruce-d-steiner/

Look forward to meeting soon! Please email bhcentralnj@gmail.com to be added to invite or Central NJ Chapter mailing list
rmrski1

Post by rmrski1 »

Please advise if there is an active Central New Jersey Boglehead chapter and if so how I get in touch and participate.
Taxedtodeath

Post by Taxedtodeath »

I'll second that question
ElBelga

Post by ElBelga »

Hi,

There was an active group until end of 2020. Since then I have not seen new meetups. Email address was bhcentralnj@gmail.com and it was led by Tamarron12.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Also interested...
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

xyzzy
Topic Author
Tamarron12

Post by Tamarron12 »

See the details for our next Meet Up below (calendar invite to follow):
Time: Sunday July 23rd 10:30am EST
Topic: general networking with local bogleheads
Location: Mr. Wish at 243 Plainfield Ave, Edison, NJ 08817 - this is a bubble tea place. There isn't a minimum spending requirement for us to hang out there. But please check out their menu and support a small business if you can!
itsjai

Post by itsjai »

Is this chapter active? If not can we revive it?
itsjai

Post by itsjai »

Any plans to meetup in September or October? Lets have some activity and share knowledge/information
retire65Jo

Post by retire65Jo »

Hi,

I am new here and wondering if there is an active in person meetup in my area. I live in Jackson NJ.

Thank you.

Jo