Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
pennywise

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by pennywise »

I joined the class today, departing this afternoon from the University where I worked my entire career; 38 years total and the last 25 in one academic unit.

Campus life in the summer is quiet anyway but in addition my (detested) boss was removed very suddenly from his position 2 weeks ago and a surprise mold remediation project was greenlighted that is necessitating our entire work group moving out of everyone's offices for the next 4-6 weeks starting Monday. So my departure was somewhat under the radar which actually worked out perfectly. I had a low key farewell lunch attended by staff colleagues, and several close associates took me out to lunch separately. One of my former students who is very dear to me coincidentally stopped by this week to visit, introduce me to his new wife and tell me about life in Boston where he is attending HBS. That reminded me of the joy of connecting with all the kids I've cherished over the years.

I tossed my files except for one-I always kept thank you notes in a folder and it has touched me deeply to read the warm messages my students sent me over the years. I posted a farewell on social media and got a flood of congratulatory comments-also heartwarming to know I"m remembered as some one who helped in people's life paths.

And then I left work for the last time and to celebrate my freedom I took my 85 year old dad to urgent care for an infection, and out to dinner to celebrate my retirement (and make sure he ate something) which reminded me that I will be blessed with more time now to help him as he needs it.

So a pretty perfect departure and tomorrow....I'm sleeping in although I guess I have to keep doing that for awhile after the weekend to appreciate being retired!
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

Well done. Enjoy the next phase of your life.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Really tempted to join. My wife wants to work until she has 40 credits which takes us to January next year.

If I don't get a job in the next six months do I qualify for the class of 2019 or do I have to wait for my wife to retire in 2020?
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nesdog wrote:Update for me: June 26th. Just a little over 3-1/2 weeks until the finish line.
I first posted on this thread last year when there was no light at the end of the tunnel. It still feels endless, I must admit! . . .
nesdog wrote:Updating myself again: my employer has now hired my replacement! I meet with him on Monday for knowledge transfer. Of the four candidates, he was the one I lobbied for so pretty happy about that.

Cleared out nearly all of my personal things from my office and washed off the desk. Grabbed a new keyboard for my computer so that he gets nice clean items. Tuesday will be my last full day (forget that, I've been leaving early anyway). Wednesday morning I'm in for an hour for departure activities.

All ready to leave this wonderful place I've worked for the past 17 years!
nesdog wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen!

I am done! Toast! Turned in the keys yesterday. Officially off the payroll on Friday, but using accrued Personal Days, was able to walk off a touch early.
Went to breakfast with my wife, no work today....or ever!

In truth, it was really hard. I found it difficult to maintain some sense of composure in bidding goodbye to my team and my boss. I was there 17 years, 3 months in a great job.
Hi Nesdog,

I simply have no words to express how delightful and exciting it was to read your three posts describing your last days at your wonderful job of 17 years before heading out into the Land of Retirement - I'm sure I was not the only Boglehead on the edge of our seats, hanging on your every word, sharing your every move and thought and emotion, cleaning your office, wiping your desk and even pulling out a new keyboard for your replacement (Note - no one can replace you :wink: you're irreplaceable) and we were riveted to the end when you lost your composure saying good-bye to your nice co-workers and boss in your great office you loved for 17 years {I'm still wiping tears} :( I mean - who could ask for a better work life and warm retirement send-off??

And then you described how you made your final walk around campus "to consider the memories" - ohhh don't get me started on memories {audible sobs} - especially the nostalgic memories of our past lives on campus {loud sobs} - those halcyon years :wink:

Now it's time to look forward to new experiences in your new Land of Retirement. Looks like you're well on your way :D

"Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun."

nesdog wrote:I'm a bit lost on how to spend the next few days. Lots of chores I've been putting off but my wife and I have a good list of fun things to do.
Tomorrow I will head to the beach for a mid-week surf session. Maybe a bike ride on Friday.
I have graduated and now sport a Senior Class of 2019 T- Shirt!
Congratulations on being part of this exciting Retirement Class of 2019! Go for your surfing session, take a bike ride, fun times with your wife, more pancake breakfasts - and whoops, almost forget, don't forget that long list of chores you're been putting off for years :oops:

Please let us know how your retirement goes :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

3504PIR wrote: A quick update to my retirement journey this year. On 31 May after work, I got on a plane departing Hawaii for California to begin my final leave/vacation days. We pick up our car this week in California and begin a slow drive across the country, visiting various sites and family along the way.

I am now finished with work and will be on vacation time through 16 August 2019 when I will be officially off the books!

Here’s to not yet being retired but not having to go to work ever again!
3504PIR - Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class and wow! what a great journey you've begun!

A slow drive across this great country visiting the sights and family - with the wind at your back and the open road ahead of you - simply the best way to begin your new journey 8-)

Keep us posted on your adventures!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

thefirst100k wrote: I envy and admire you all. I'm about 5% to FI, 2.5% to RE. Go live life and try not to think about money too much. Congrats!
Hi thefirst100k! We'll be looking for you on the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2040 8-)

And here's a good article that can help you get going and keep moving on that first 100k.

Charlie Munger: The First $100,000 is a B*tch
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

goblue100 wrote: Congrats to all the 2019 retirees! I made a decision recently that my last day will be in 599 days. Early 2021. I guess that thread will start in a year or so, but I couldn't wait to share, lol. :happy
Thanks for sharing, goblue100! It's fun how different upcoming retirees calculate their R-date. Some by days, weeks, months, quarters, years. Others by how many semesters left, how many documents to write or projects to finish.

Keep reminding us so we can get that Roll Call for 2021 going :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frugalminded

Post by frugalminded »

Last work day Friday July 5, 2019
A wonderful cross country road trip in early May
helped to convince me that I wouldn’t miss work as much as I thought I would. So much to see and do! Also very fortunate to live in an area with extraordinary opportunities for volunteering. It all helps to keep your mind off the career and paycheck you’re giving up. ☯️ Cheers!
Cipro

Post by Cipro »

Last pay day Sept 30. No more work though for last couple of months. Big change!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

DartThrower wrote: Semi-retired on 5/10/19. Feels great to be able to go for a long jog early in the morning, then take a nap if needed, then do some part time work-at-home. This leaves my evenings free to have dinner and relax with DW when she gets home from work. I am also finding time to take some online classes to study topics I didn't have the time for while working full time.

It feels weird to have less structure in my day, but it's a good kind of weird.
Sounds like a great stress-free beginning to what we hope is a long, enjoyable retirement life for you and your wife :happy
DartThrower wrote:The longer term plan is to live as expats in Europe for a while (before possible grandchildren arrive :D ). I find it really informative to read the threads on expat living here. DW will teach English abroad to make some spending money and I will try to find volunteer work. That's the plan anyway. With our free time we will do a serious amount of biking/hiking and touring. We anticipate spending up to 3 years there starting in 2020.
Hope your plans work out nicely!

You mentioned "a serious amount of biking . . ." Have you followed fellow Boglehead Raybo's threads on his bicycle trips throughout Europe? Not only does he seriously bicycle, but he takes fabulous photographs of his travels and posts them here on the forum so we can all accompany him on his bicycle trips (without the aching muscles, lol :D

The Balkans and Eastern Dolomites
Florence, Italy, to Bern, Switzerland
Amsterdam to Passau

He even rode his bike to the 2015 Bogleheads Conference in Philadelphia. 8-) Journal of my ride to the 2015 Bogleheads Conference
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peetsperk wrote: Originally, gave my employer 6 months notice to prepare. The transition is progressing ahead of schedule. My last planned day was supposed to be September 27th. Miriam2 it looks like my official retirement day will now be Friday, July 26th. Thirty-five days and counting. :D
Good update! Nice to retire in the middle of the lazy days of summer (actually, any time is a good time to retire :wink: ) We wish you good luck and a long happy retirement.

And many thanks for helping out with the Retirement Roll Call and welcoming all our retirement classmates :happy
jdv01

Post by jdv01 »

Started my 2nd week of retirement today. Had planned to leave in July 2020 but the company had a small package which added a year of pension credit if left July 1st 2019. Still trying to come to terms with not working after 41 years of work the last 30.5 with the same company. So far most days I think I should have stayed but then I remember that because I decided to leave some else won't lose their job involuntarily since the company wanted to shed a specific number of jobs. I have family members and lots of friends working there so I'm happy I was fincially prepared if not emotionally prepared to leave.

That being said one of the managers has reached out to me today to see if I would be willing to come back part time as a contractor and help them through the next year. I haven't decided if I will or not but told him to let me know if he is sucessful in opening a slot. So maybe in a few weeks I will be unretired again.

jdv01
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

jdv01 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:51 pm Started my 2nd week of retirement today. Had planned to leave in July 2020 but the company had a small package which added a year of pension credit if left July 1st 2019. Still trying to come to terms with not working after 41 years of work the last 30.5 with the same company. So far most days I think I should have stayed but then I remember that because I decided to leave some else won't lose their job involuntarily since the company wanted to shed a specific number of jobs. I have family members and lots of friends working there so I'm happy I was fincially prepared if not emotionally prepared to leave.

That being said one of the managers has reached out to me today to see if I would be willing to come back part time as a contractor and help them through the next year. I haven't decided if I will or not but told him to let me know if he is sucessful in opening a slot. So maybe in a few weeks I will be unretired again.

jdv01
Welcome to the Retirement Class of 2019 jdv01! I think you will enjoy reading the thoughts of those who already retired this year. Congratulations, even if only for a few weeks.
:sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: . . . My trigger-pulling date is August 16.
That's just around the corner, be here before you know it! Enjoy your last month of work, say your good-byes, clean out your work area, make sure all your paperwork is in line :mrgreen: and look forward to a great retirement experience.

And also, thank you for your help welcoming all our new retirement classmates on the Roll Call :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

pennywise wrote: I joined the class today, departing this afternoon from the University where I worked my entire career; 38 years total and the last 25 in one academic unit.
The university will never be the same :annoyed
pennywise wrote:Campus life in the summer is quiet anyway but in addition my (detested) boss was removed very suddenly from his position 2 weeks ago and a surprise mold remediation project was greenlighted that is necessitating our entire work group moving out of everyone's offices for the next 4-6 weeks starting Monday. So my departure was somewhat under the radar which actually worked out perfectly.
I always figured there must be some good use for mold :wink:
pennywise wrote:I had a low key farewell lunch attended by staff colleagues, and several close associates took me out to lunch separately. One of my former students who is very dear to me coincidentally stopped by this week to visit, introduce me to his new wife and tell me about life in Boston where he is attending HBS. That reminded me of the joy of connecting with all the kids I've cherished over the years.

I tossed my files except for one-I always kept thank you notes in a folder and it has touched me deeply to read the warm messages my students sent me over the years. I posted a farewell on social media and got a flood of congratulatory comments-also heartwarming to know I"m remembered as some one who helped in people's life paths.
What a wonderful description - I'm dabbing my tears - the perfect academia ending :happy
pennywise wrote:And then I left work for the last time and to celebrate my freedom I took my 85 year old dad to urgent care for an infection, and out to dinner to celebrate my retirement (and make sure he ate something) which reminded me that I will be blessed with more time now to help him as he needs it.
Now I'm really sobbing - with joy. Special times with our parents are truly special times.
pennywise wrote:So a pretty perfect departure and tomorrow....I'm sleeping in although I guess I have to keep doing that for awhile after the weekend to appreciate being retired!
Congratulations on joining this most prestigious Class! We wish you many years of enjoyable retirement.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:13 pm
TravelforFun wrote: . . . My trigger-pulling date is August 16.
That's just around the corner, be here before you know it! Enjoy your last month of work, say your good-byes, clean out your work area, make sure all your paperwork is in line :mrgreen: and look forward to a great retirement experience.

And also, thank you for your help welcoming all our new retirement classmates on the Roll Call :D
M2, thanks for all the hard work organizing the list and giving soon-to-be retirees words of encouragement.The countdown app on my phone is ticking.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

frugalminded wrote: Last work day Friday July 5, 2019
A wonderful cross country road trip in early May
helped to convince me that I wouldn’t miss work as much as I thought I would. So much to see and do! Also very fortunate to live in an area with extraordinary opportunities for volunteering. It all helps to keep your mind off the career and paycheck you’re giving up. ☯️ Cheers!
Hi frugalminded,

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and we're including you on the list :happy

About that career and paycheck you're giving up - Jonathan Clements wrote:

"Even if we retire from the workforce, we shouldn't ever retire from the pursuit of a fulfilling life. After four decades at the beck and call of others, retirement is our chance to take up activities that we're passionate about and consider important. These activities may bring a newfound sense of purpose to our final decades."
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

7eight9 wrote: If I don't get a job in the next six months do I qualify for the class of 2019 or do I have to wait for my wife to retire in 2020?
jdv01 wrote: Started my 2nd week of retirement today. . . . That being said one of the managers has reached out to me today to see if I would be willing to come back part time as a contractor and help them through the next year. I haven't decided if I will or not but told him to let me know if he is successful in opening a slot. So maybe in a few weeks I will be unretired again.
The Retirement Roll Call uses our founding mother Lady Victoria's definition of "retirement" = there is no strict definition :D

According to the Lady, a Boglehead's inclusion in the Roll Call is based on self-reporting.

In other words, if you feel you are retired, even though you are still busy, doing temporary work, training your poor replacements for your irreplaceable position, engaged in easy work or a hobby, paid or unpaid or underpaid - when you feel you have punched out of the rat race - then you are retired :D :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
soundwave

Post by soundwave »

December 2019! I've been working a phased out retirement since 2015 & have decided that this is my year (at age 66).

The phased plan has worked well for my transition into more personal time, rather than waking up and thinking "now what?"

Many thanks to the Bogleheads sharing their wisdom...so helpful in sorting out my own thoughts 8-)
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Max Ehrmann
Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. »

A quick update, because I think I am listed in the Roll Call with a date of July 2019. It turns out it will be December 31. And it is now official; I told my boss last week, but it won't be announced publicly until late August. Twenty-five more weeks!

I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread, which I have enjoyed; it is great to hear everyone's stories and news. A special thanks to Miriam2 as always for taking such good care of this part of the Bogleheads.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

soundwave wrote: December 2019! I've been working a phased out retirement since 2015 & have decided that this is my year (at age 66).

The phased plan has worked well for my transition into more personal time, rather than waking up and thinking "now what?"

Many thanks to the Bogleheads sharing their wisdom...so helpful in sorting out my own thoughts 8-)
Hi soundwave,

Nice to hear your phase-out retirement plan worked so well, now you're phasing-into retirement! Please share with us how you sorted out your thoughts :idea:

You're on the Roll Call and the updated list will be published as soon as we can after later :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cipro wrote: Last pay day Sept 30. No more work though for last couple of months. Big change!
Congrats on finally punching out! Yes, Big Change - please let us know what you're going to do with all your freeeeeee time 8-)

Cipro, you will probably take the coveted award as our Most Senior Member of this Retirement Class of 2019, since you joined this fabulous Bogleheads.org forum on Nov. 24, 2007, only 9 months after we began on Feb. 19, 2007! Your portfolio must be truly Awesome :D :moneybag
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

I have filled out my last Time Sheet ending on July 12 but my last day will be Thursday July 11. Giving me one more FREE day. My boss is coming up Tomorrow to get my keys, Credit cards and Laptop. Been in the Oil and Gas just 3 months shy of 46 years. I have had a GREAT job for the last 13 years. I didn't want a party but he will be taking the family out for a nice supper. I guess now my job is taking care of my investments.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bronco Billy wrote: I have filled out my last Time Sheet ending on July 12 but my last day will be Thursday July 11. Giving me one more FREE day. My boss is coming up Tomorrow to get my keys, Credit cards and Laptop. Been in the Oil and Gas just 3 months shy of 46 years. I have had a GREAT job for the last 13 years. I didn't want a party but he will be taking the family out for a nice supper. I guess now my job is taking care of my investments.
Wow! A giant welcome to the Retirement Class and my goodness, with 46 years in the Oil and Gas business and "a GREAT job for the last 13 years," you have the best of both worlds - you had a great job, gained expertise, made a good living, and now the beginning of a great new retirement adventure ahead of you :D

Plus . . . you found us :mrgreen: and we'll help you take care of your investments.
We hope you enjoy your very nice supper with your boss and your family to celebrate your retirement :sharebeer

You can toast your boss - "Thanks for the pay and the 401k, but I'm outta here" :D
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Alas, it appears the uncertainty over continuing viability of the ACA and it’s preexisting condition protections will require me to postpone my much hoped for 2019 retirement retirement date. :annoyed. I’m sure hoping that I can get out before I turn 63.5. Best of luck to all of my former classmates.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Castanea_d. wrote: A quick update, because I think I am listed in the Roll Call with a date of July 2019. It turns out it will be December 31. And it is now official; I told my boss last week, but it won't be announced publicly until late August. Twenty-five more weeks!
Thank you for your update. What a great way to spend New Years Eve - a double celebration, and a true New Year :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Alas, it appears the uncertainty over continuing viability of the ACA and it’s preexisting condition protections will require me to postpone my much hoped for 2019 retirement retirement date. :annoyed. I’m sure hoping that I can get out before I turn 63.5. Best of luck to all of my former classmates.
Thank you for your update and we'll be looking for you perhaps on the 2020 Retirement Roll Call.

Meanwhile, stay upbeat and cheerful, healthy, happy, wealthy and wise, and before you know it, retirement will come and you'll be ready for it 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Half-way through the year and here is the most current list for the Retirement Class of 2019 :D

So far we have 47 graduates who have punched out!

Already Graduated!! - Congratulations everyone and Happy Summer :!:
01 Jan - Tzoellner (60)
02 Jan - bhsince87
05 Jan - Canoesmith
09 Jan - JonnyBeRetired (56)
11 Jan - Tycoon (55)
12 Jan - InMyDreams
15 Jan - David Jay (62)
15 Jan - cyclist (62)
__ Jan - doneat53
__ Jan - Osprey
__ Jan - cogitan

01 Feb - dskelcy (62)
01 Feb - CFOKevin (58)
15 Feb - falconsfan (60)

29 Mar - Xelah (58)
29 Mar - bluelight (62)
__ Mar - Kcr8n (60)
__ Mar - Amirbb (62)

05 Apr - kacang
05 Apr - MLColorado (65)
30 Apr - BoomXer (61)
__ Apr - oldmotos (64)

10 May - Vagabondette (44)
10 May - DartThrower
16 May - saddle_tramp
17 May - K72
17 May - sf64 (54)
31 May - dknightd
31 May - L8rboys (60)
__ May - kjsammy (65)

01 Jun - OregonDucksFan (49)
25 Jun - Goodmand3 (75)
26 Jun - nesdog (65)
28 Jun - peppers
28 Jun - pennywise
28 Jun - jimmyq (52)
__ Jun - Luv2Perform
__ Jun - psrobinson (67)
__ Jun/Jul - Zonian59 (60)

01 Jul - walterbird
01 Jul - lacseul (67)
01 Jul - jdv01
04 Jul - Cardinalsfan (60)
05 Jul - frugalminded
07 Jul - Lakinui
10 Jul - GeMoney (55) <<== Welcome to the Class!!
11 Jul - Bronco Billy

Graduating Soon!! - counting the days :!:
26 Jul - peetsperk (62)
31 Jul - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Jul - MROCTOBER (62)
__ Jul - Barsoom (60)
__ Jul - Spindrift (57)

16 Aug - TravelforFun (67)
16 Aug - 3504PIR
__ Aug - spearo
__ Aug - dayzero

30 Sep - Cipro
__ Sep - Barefootgirl
__ Sep - Punta Cana DR (57)

21 Nov - chevre (69)

13 Dec - Rus In Urbe
27 Dec - user9532 (63)
30 Dec - eldinerocheapo <<== Welcome to the Class!!
31 Dec - Castanea_d (mid-60's)
__ Dec - soundwave (66)

__ retire2022 (62?)

The Infinity Retirement Class :wink:
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Let me know if I forgot anyone :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

I gave notice today that after 40 years in "upper mid level lower management", I'm calling it a career December 30th. Breaking the news to my staff just about killed me, and their tears tore a hole in my soul. I know its the right thing to do because my skill set no longer matches the requirements for the job, and the pull of returning to a more natural world is too tempting to ignore. I've paid my dues, and it's time to enjoy the life we have left. I've followed all the protocols with my company, so I can only hope they will allow me to wind things down, and train my replacement. The corporate world has been rough & tumble, but I'm more than up for the challenge of hiking, surfing, tennis and gardening to fill the coming days.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

eldinerocheapo wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:49 pm I gave notice today that after 40 years in "upper mid level lower management", I'm calling it a career December 30th. Breaking the news to my staff just about killed me, and their tears tore a hole in my soul. I know its the right thing to do because my skill set no longer matches the requirements for the job, and the pull of returning to a more natural world is too tempting to ignore. I've paid my dues, and it's time to enjoy the life we have left. I've followed all the protocols with my company, so I can only hope they will allow me to wind things down, and train my replacement. The corporate world has been rough & tumble, but I'm more than up for the challenge of hiking, surfing, tennis and gardening to fill the coming days.
Welcome to the class eldinerocheapo! You picked a great one to join and Miriam watches over all of us and keeps us in line. Enjoy your final 6 months in "upper mid level lower management". Start the countdown clock.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

eldinerocheapo wrote: I gave notice today that after 40 years in "upper mid level lower management", I'm calling it a career December 30th.
LOL - now you'll be in lower mid level high management retirement :happy
eldinerocheapo wrote:. . . Breaking the news to my staff just about killed me, and their tears tore a hole in my soul. I know its the right thing to do because my skill set no longer matches the requirements for the job, and the pull of returning to a more natural world is too tempting to ignore. I've paid my dues, and it's time to enjoy the life we have left. I've followed all the protocols with my company, so I can only hope they will allow me to wind things down, and train my replacement. The corporate world has been rough & tumble, but I'm more than up for the challenge of hiking, surfing, tennis and gardening to fill the coming days.
Thank you for sharing your transition into retirement and welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!

Now instead of eldinerocheapo - you'll be lavidarica 8-)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I'm about one month from my retirement date and because I am a minimalist, I don't want any retirement party where they invite your family and colleagues ̣(who go way back) to come and make speeches. I've been very suspicious of and have declined lunch invites and after-work get-together invites. I told everyone I just wanted to go around the office on my last day, shaking everyone's hand and thanking everyone.

My wife advised me last night that my office has been talking to her but has now given up organizing something for me. I'm glad.

TravelforFun
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TravelforFun wrote: I'm about one month from my retirement date and because I am a minimalist, I don't want any retirement party where they invite your family and colleagues ̣(who go way back) to come and make speeches.
How about if we just come and drink? :mrgreen:
TravelforFun wrote:I've been very suspicious of and have declined lunch invites and after-work get-together invites. I told everyone I just wanted to go around the office on my last day, shaking everyone's hand and thanking everyone.
Perfect! Your co-workers just want to be included in sharing your special day. It will be a warm and emotional last day of work, just the way it should be :happy
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

As of 5:00 today, I’m officially retired. However, it didn’t happen as it does in the movies.

My boss and I have worked together for many years and he has known for more than a few months today would be my last. I wanted to make sure there were no loose ends when I left. All my sales clients had been transitioned and the handovers were complete. The only thing that remained were monthly reports.

Even though my boss was in the office all week, I hadn’t heard from him since Monday. So late this morning I sent him an email to see if it would be ok if I came by around 3:00 to turn in my reports and say goodbye. He emailed me back to say he would be out this afternoon and I could just leave the reports in his inbox. And that was that.

When I got home my wife had a gin & tonic waiting for me and this evening we took a bike ride. It was a perfect ending to a day I have looked forward to for a long time and I’m not looking back.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

peetsperk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:55 pm As of 5:00 today, I’m officially retired. However, it didn’t happen as it does in the movies.

My boss and I have worked together for many years and he has known for more than a few months today would be my last. I wanted to make sure there were no loose ends when I left. All my sales clients had been transitioned and the handovers were complete. The only thing that remained were monthly reports.

Even though my boss was in the office all week, I hadn’t heard from him since Monday. So late this morning I sent him an email to see if it would be ok if I came by around 3:00 to turn in my reports and say goodbye. He emailed me back to say he would be out this afternoon and I could just leave the reports in his inbox. And that was that.

When I got home my wife had a gin & tonic waiting for me and this evening we took a bike ride. It was a perfect ending to a day I have looked forward to for a long time and I’m not looking back.
So the boss tried to avoid you? That's ok ... You're retired at 62 and that means you're doing a lot better than a lot of folks. Congratulations! Monday is going to be different.

TravelforFun
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

TravelforFun wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 pm
peetsperk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:55 pm As of 5:00 today, I’m officially retired. However, it didn’t happen as it does in the movies.

So the boss tried to avoid you? That's ok ... You're retired at 62 and that means you're doing a lot better than a lot of folks. Congratulations! Monday is going to be different.

TravelforFun
Thanks, TravelforFun. Looking forward is more fun anyway.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Congratulations!! Enjoy, you earned it.
Cipro

Post by Cipro »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 pm
Cipro wrote: Last pay day Sept 30. No more work though for last couple of months. Big change!
Congrats on finally punching out! Yes, Big Change - please let us know what you're going to do with all your freeeeeee time 8-)

Cipro, you will probably take the coveted award as our Most Senior Member of this Retirement Class of 2019, since you joined this fabulous Bogleheads.org forum on Nov. 24, 2007, only 9 months after we began on Feb. 19, 2007! Your portfolio must be truly Awesome :D :moneybag
Thanks Miriam2. I never realized how relatively early I joined the Bogleheads! I have learned a ton from all the members of the forum and appreciate all the help over the years! Thanks to the forum, my portfolio now consists of a few low-cost index funds (Vanguard and Fidelity). I have a good understanding of my financial goals and risk tolerance. Although never fully confident, I think we should be in good financial shape thanks to the forum.

In the immediate future, we have planned a sailing vacation in Indonesia (Bali, Java, Sumatra). Our house is for sale and we are looking for properties near the water for our next home. Wife loves the ocean and I love being on the water. I think a boat, a dog and a view are next in store!

Best
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

TravelforFun wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm I'm about one month from my retirement date and because I am a minimalist, I don't want any retirement party where they invite your family and colleagues ̣(who go way back) to come and make speeches. I've been very suspicious of and have declined lunch invites and after-work get-together invites. I told everyone I just wanted to go around the office on my last day, shaking everyone's hand and thanking everyone.

My wife advised me last night that my office has been talking to her but has now given up organizing something for me. I'm glad.

TravelforFun
I will go quietly when it is my time.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

My last day of work was July 10, 2019 at the age of 55. In 2001 during the dot bomb days I found myself in between jobs for a long period of time. During my downtime I read 2 books that totally changed my financial life: Common Sense on Mutual Funds and The Millionaire Next Door. Since then I made it my personal goal to retire early. It took me a while to fully adjust my portfolio due to concerns over capital gains and the fear of the unknown but ultimately I got there and glad I did it. Staying the course works!

Looking forward to a lot of R&R (I almost never took time off work), tackling the To Do list and volunteering.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

peetsperk wrote: As of 5:00 today, I’m officially retired. However, it didn’t happen as it does in the movies. . . . When I got home my wife had a gin & tonic waiting for me and this evening we took a bike ride. It was a perfect ending to a day I have looked forward to for a long time and I’m not looking back.
Congratulation peetsperk!! You've been planning and anticipating this time and now it's here and you're making your own movie 8-)

Most important is that you feel it the perfect end to that very important day in your life, and of course, the perfect beginning to your new life.

We truly wish you all the best, time to relax and decompress, to enjoy the freedom and flexibility of doing things on the spur of the moment, to appreciate some of what you overlooked in the stressful years of work, and to slow down and enjoy your new beginning :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GeMoney wrote: My last day of work was July 10, 2019 at the age of 55. In 2001 during the dot bomb days I found myself in between jobs for a long period of time. During my downtime I read 2 books that totally changed my financial life: Common Sense on Mutual Funds and The Millionaire Next Door. Since then I made it my personal goal to retire early. It took me a while to fully adjust my portfolio due to concerns over capital gains and the fear of the unknown but ultimately I got there and glad I did it. Staying the course works!

Looking forward to a lot of R&R (I almost never took time off work), tackling the To Do list and volunteering.

What a nice first post! Welcome to the Bogleheads :happy

Congratulations on getting your financial life together during the Dot Bomb Days :!: we wish you all the best in your retirement.

So, what's on the To Do list? :mrgreen: decluttering? cleaning the garage? repairing the faucets? painting the front door?
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:48 am
peetsperk wrote: As of 5:00 today, I’m officially retired. However, it didn’t happen as it does in the movies. . . . When I got home my wife had a gin & tonic waiting for me and this evening we took a bike ride. It was a perfect ending to a day I have looked forward to for a long time and I’m not looking back.
Congratulation peetsperk!! You've been planning and anticipating this time and now it's here and you're making your own movie 8-)

Most important is that you feel it the perfect end to that very important day in your life, and of course, the perfect beginning to your new life.

We truly wish you all the best, time to relax and decompress, to enjoy the freedom and flexibility of doing things on the spur of the moment, to appreciate some of what you overlooked in the stressful years of work, and to slow down and enjoy your new beginning :D
Thanks, Miriam! I appreciate your kind words and all you do for Bogleheads everywhere.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 pm
GeMoney wrote: My last day of work was July 10, 2019 at the age of 55. In 2001 during the dot bomb days I found myself in between jobs for a long period of time. During my downtime I read 2 books that totally changed my financial life: Common Sense on Mutual Funds and The Millionaire Next Door. Since then I made it my personal goal to retire early. It took me a while to fully adjust my portfolio due to concerns over capital gains and the fear of the unknown but ultimately I got there and glad I did it. Staying the course works!

What a nice first post! Welcome to the Bogleheads :happy

Congratulations on getting your financial life together during the Dot Bomb Days :!: we wish you all the best in your retirement.

So, what's on the To Do list? :mrgreen: decluttering? cleaning the garage? repairing the faucets? painting the front door?
Thanks Mariam. Yes it's those types of things. Essentially anything big or small (i.e. finally signing up at this forum) that I've been putting off by saying "If I have the time.." is on the list. Now I have time and no excuses. It's time for me to focus on my mind (less stress,more knowledge and fun), my body (more exercise and eating better) and my soul (giving back and helping others).
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

Leif Dahleen, 43.

My last shift ends Monday, August 12th, 2019 when I am relieved from call duties as an anesthesiologist at 0600.

I don't know if "retired" will be the best term to describe what I'm up to, but I do believe I will be retired from medicine. I'll continue to be a husband and a father to two boys, and will maintain a website to chronicle our post-FIRE adventures.

Cheers! :beer
Leif
Rick60

Post by Rick60 »

Perhaps odd that this is my first post in the forum, but I retired in June 2019 following 32 years in law enforcement, the last 5 as Chief of Police in a south Texas city of about 30,000. It was a rewarding career and, although the pay in a government position will never approach the compensation for a similar private sector position, the pension from a well-funded system makes up a lot of investment ground. I'm not really sure that I will stop working, so there may be more job income still to be had, but it was important to me that I not retire until I could continue saving and investing into retirement. That accomplished, I am enjoying Mondays and planning on making use of the collective financial intellect here to help make the next season as rewarding as the prior ones have been!
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Barsoom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:22 pm My plan is to retire in July 2019.

I'll be 60, with 38 years of service at Megacorp.

-B
Last day was Monday. I'm now off the payroll forever!

-B
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

flyingaway wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:58 am
TravelforFun wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm I'm about one month from my retirement date and because I am a minimalist, I don't want any retirement party where they invite your family and colleagues ̣(who go way back) to come and make speeches. I've been very suspicious of and have declined lunch invites and after-work get-together invites. I told everyone I just wanted to go around the office on my last day, shaking everyone's hand and thanking everyone.

TravelforFun
I will go quietly when it is my time.
Last day at work today. Head of HR called this morning and asked me to come to her office at 3:30 PM to sign some paperwork. Arrived at the requested time and was led to the HR conference room where a roomful of people were waiting. There were colorful balloons, festive banners, cakes, cookies, punch, and coffee for all to enjoy, and gifts for me. Needless to say, speeches were made but all was good.

You can run but you can't hide.

Getting on a plane tomorrow for Puerto Vallarta.

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

latest article why Americans are leaving workforce

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/12/20801941/ ... rkers-quit
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

PhysicianOnFIRE wrote: Leif Dahleen, 43.

My last shift ends Monday, August 12th, 2019 when I am relieved from call duties as an anesthesiologist at 0600.

I don't know if "retired" will be the best term to describe what I'm up to, but I do believe I will be retired from medicine. I'll continue to be a husband and a father to two boys, and will maintain a website to chronicle our post-FIRE adventures.

Cheers! :beer
Leif
12 Aug - PhysicianOnFire (43) <<== Welcome to the Class!!

Congratulation PhysicianOnFIRE! We're honored to have such a famous classmate! We all enjoy your blog and writings about finance and preparing for retirement :D and now we'll all find out whether you planned and prepared properly - or it's back to the on-call emergency room for you :P

And as I'm sure you are aware - there's no relaxing when you have two boys, and wait till they find out the world is full of girls - lol :mrgreen:

Taylor enjoys your writings and you have written about the Three Fund Portfolio.

:?: Q - as a young retiree, how have you arranged your retirement portfolio? to handle expenses, to handle emergencies, to bridge the gap until Medicare and Social Security, to handle long term care, and what about this dang inverted yield curve?? :annoyed